Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ride or Die(Fate and Gunner)

LilGunner

Nonsolis radios sediouis fulmina mitto.
The American dream. Freedom and liberty to all. Or at least to those who already had the means. Mostly rich white men. For everyone else it was a life of hard labor. Others chose a different kind of freedom. A life on the back of a horse, traveling from place to place and making their living off the backs of others, rich and poor alike. There was something romantic about the outlaw life. No rules, everyone was equal so long as they did their fair share of work. Yeah equal her olive ass.

Nearly a month passed since she left. Left the gang that is. Just over three years since she had left home. Nothing with her but a bit of money, some food, and her handsome gelding Vlad. They made for an impressive sight with Vlad’s long, flowing mane and tail, his entire body black as ink. Her own hair thick and dark, falling in silky curls around her finely boned, olive toned face. Lively and bright green eyes, full lips and a tiny, pointed nose. Fully blossomed into the flower of woman hood she cut a fine figure with a tight leather vest, simple white shirt, and black pants tucked into boots. In the gang she had done well enough. She had been a crackshot with her rolling block rifle and not to terrible with a cattleman revolver if she did say so herself. Of course with only eight rounds left for her rifle she needed some money. A hot meal and bath sounded nice too. Shame she never got the hang of skinning or she’d be able to sell some decent pelts.

With her ammo stocks low and no idea where the next town might be she decided it was time to make a little money. The easiest was to make money was simple robbery. Hopefully a passerby would have something good. Coins, fine clothes, she’d even happily steal a horse if it meant a hot meal and not a can of beans. Oh she could sell her own horse or her other clothes but that was silly. Life on the prairies was hard enough without selling off one’s own items. Men were easy enough to goad and to fool. She rifled around in her saddle bags and pulled out her fine custom shirt and blouse. It all fit neatly over her regular clothing making her look every bit the proper lady she should be. The skirts were made in such a way to hide the gun belt on her hips but still allow her access to her revolver. She pulled the clothes on, pulling the laces tight, unbuttoning her undershirt to show the round swell of her breasts. With an old pin she straightened up and pinned her thick hair back to better show off her cleavage. Men were true suckers for a fine pair. Out of sight she hitched Vlad to a tree leaving her rifle and the rest of her effects on him.

Being on the road alone for so long she looked haggard enough but not too much. She caked a bit of mud on the hem of her skirts to make it look like she had been walking for a while. Finally ready she waited. Just one person was needed to pass by. With luck it might be some lonely traveler with a decent purse on his hip. How could they leave a stranded woman out on the prairies of New Hanover alone? She waited and listened for approaching hooves on the packed dirt road. Valentine, that should be her destination. Finally, after what seemed like ages she heard the heavy hooves of an approaching horse. She pinched her cheeks to bring a rosy glow to them and began walking away from the tracks, not too fast. Once they sounded near enough she turned, gasping with a hand on her breast as if startled and overjoyed at seeing another person. “Sir! Sir!” She called out with a wave. “Please can you help?” Her voice was a high class drawl, lilting and sweet like a meadow lark.

Though what she didn’t know was her decently known face. Leaving the Anderson Gang wasn’t without consequences despite the desperately needed freedom from them. Normally it was their leaders who had photos and wanted posters. Yet her own image had been popping up. A drawing of course, she had never been caught by the law. Even still her countenance was unique among the primarily very white skinned populace. She didn’t know the men had greased some palms and put out her crimes. The law was quick to put a bounty on her head. Petty larceny, horse stealing, and blackmail. The bounty was only ten dollars, not high by some standards but high enough that some might consider brining her in if they happened to come across her. All that despite Mack Anderson, the leader of her former gang, having a price of 200 on his head for worse than simple thievery.

Killian threw his head back and drank in the endless, sapphire sky. It was a bright and beautiful morning, with fat, white clouds lazily drifting across the vast expanse of blue. If only he felt so peaceful as the day. Instead, he was gripped with indecision, a hand anxiously tapping against his denmin pants, and further rumpling the old envelope he clutched. How long now had he teetered on the edge of actually sending it? He was closer to following through than ever now, lingering on the side of the station, the post office clerk just around the bend should he choose to take the steps. Yet it felt like his legs were weighted down, caught in a sinkhole that rooted him to the spot.

The sound of a passing stagecoach grabbed his attention, bringing Killian back to earth as it rumbled past the dusty road, urged on by its driver. Once the wagon was out of sight he pushed off the side of the building, smoothing back his dark, red hot and returning his black Cromwell hat to its rightful place. A short distance away, his dark bay shire watched him with large, brown eyes, almost questioningly, as they idled. Killian met the gaze with his deep blues, digits still fidgeting with the letter he held. “What do you think, then?” He asked the beast, yet struggling with his choice. But the shire answered with nothing more than a swish of his tail and a flick of an ear, his attentions brought to a tuft of grass which he bent down and nibbled instead. Unlike the actual Dagda, his trusty steed wasn’t quite a symbol of wisdom. Just as well he thought, leaving the big brute to his devices before anyone saw him asking a horse for advice.

For three years now the envelope had remained sealed, its words lying in wait while Killian made excuse after excuse for a reason not to send it. Loathe as he was to admit the truth, it was mostly cowardice which kept him at bay; a fear over how the recipient would react once his heart was laid bear. Even though he knew he knew they would likely never meet again, he feared to think how he might be perceived once he finally sent it. Today however, there was not only his fears to consider, but his finances as well. He’s nearly gotten the entire payout for once on his last job; had done his best to keep his target breathing by taking him down with a shot to the leg. He’d almost gotten the bounty all the way back to the sherif too, heart still pumping. But Killian was no doctor, and the infection from the bullet wound took the bastard faster than he could get him to the noose. It ended up being twice the effort for half the pay, and now he was down to his last dollar, if that. He’d need every last cent to get him by until he could land the next one. Regardless, Killian found himself approaching the window only to find it empty, the universe apparently offering up one more excuse not to follow through. He craned his neck to look into the small office, which was seemingly abandoned.

Engrossed as he was with his snooping, he didn’t notice the clerk approaching him from the side. “Something I can help you with?” The portly man asked, giving Killian such a start that his hand shot for his hip, shoving back the worn, black duster he wore to settle on the grip of his revolver. The clerk stood there, holding a mess of flyers and looking equally surprised, his bushy black brows arched in a curious gaze at the behavior. “There’s no need for that, son,” he assured him, raising one hand in a half hearted surrender. “Just trying to get these notices up on the board there.”

Killian relaxed at once upon seeing who’d surprised him. Hand moving away from his revolver, he stepped aside and allowed the man to pass. As the postman began pinning up the flyers, he lingered abaft, watching. “Sorry,” he excused himself, quickly and quietly tucking the envelope back into his coat pocket, “I’ve been on the road a while...”

“You don’t say,” the clerk mused, sneaking a glance back at his weathered attire, from his scuffed, leather boots and worn jeans to the dusty old coat he wore. “Well, I understand. It sure can be a dangerous country out there. What brings you this way?”

But Killian stopped listening once he realized what the man was posting: Bounty notices. Naturally, his eyes fell upon the biggest prize, one Mack Anderson and the $200 jackpot resting below his likeness. That conniving mug was a large part of what steered him towards New Hanover, though inwardly he knew he was fooling himself to believe he could take down Anderson on his own. He would be outnumbered and outgunned, and undoubtedly pumped full of lead by his cronies before he could get anywhere close to the notorious outlaw himself. But the money was too big a prize to ignore, and Killian found himself drawn towards the gang’s territory in the hopes that he would find something; anything that would give him an advantage. If nothing else maybe he could at least bag one of the gang’s other lieutenants, worth a hefty sum in their own right.

The postman was about to post the last flyer when he stopped, eyes locked on the drawing of the individual upon it. “Huh,” he murmured, clicking his tongue and rubbing at his thick, bristly mustache. “I’m pretty sure I saw this one passing through here just a day or two ago.. Yeah that’s right; on a big black horse up at the crossing.

That had Killian’s attention. Without a second thought, he stepped forward to meet the man. “Is that so?” He asked, interest pique. “Might I have a look?”

The clerk looked at him skeptically, but handed over the poster all the same. “You some kind of bounty hunter?” He inquired, eyes dropping back to where that gun remained holstered beneath his coat.

“Something of the sort,” he told him, blue eyes eagerly roaming the beautiful face he saw staring back at him. Heavy black curls and dark skin... a distinctive look around these parts. Killian stared into her illustrated gaze, then drank in the rest of her features, acquainting himself with her appearance as well as humanly possible. Her listed crimes didn’t interest him nearly so much as the warning below them: Known Ties to the Anderson Gang.

“Such a shame, a pretty young thing like that getting mixed up in such trouble. ‘Round these parts we know better than to get involved with those Anderson boys. Bloody animals, the whole lot of them.”

“Don’t suppose you remember which way she went?” Killian asked, eyes flicking back to the man. A potential $10 lingering nearby was certainly worth his time. Assuming he could bring this one in Alive anyway. But $5 would be plenty enough for a bottle of whiskey, a hot meal, and maybe even a soft bed for a change.

“Well, let’s see now... West, I think. If memory serves, that is. Hard to forget a face like that though; raven hair and eyes like emeralds. Still, a criminal’s a criminal, I suppose. If you’re planning to go ridin’ after her you can keep that there poster. I’ve got a few more in the back. Now, wasn’t there something else you needed?”

Killian’s thoughts instantly jumped back to the letter tucked in his pocket, but he shook his head and folded up the new flyer to pocket that as well. “That’ll do just fine, thank you,” he told him, tipping his hat. “I think I might just look into it.”

“Well, good luck to you!” The clerk shouted as Killian turned to leave.

He wasted little time in mounting up, pulling himself back into the saddle and heading up to the crossing where this bounty was supposedly sighted. For a while he followed the road, striking out west towards the Dakota River at a fast pace. Hooves thundered as they made their way, trying to more quickly cover the distance their target would have made it by now. After a time, however, he was left with another decision to make. Would their target have headed west, abandoning New Hanover for the lands of West Elizabeth? Or would they have traveled north, keeping closer to home? His mount impatiently stomped the ground while Killian weighed the options, leather reins gripped tightly in hand. Valentine, he finally decided was the more likely option, and with a stern tug to the right, he set his trusty companion off northward.

To begin with, Killian decided to keep away from the road, figuring his target would do the same, being a wanted woman and all. To that end, he crossed the tracks and ventured over the flattest terrain he could finds all the while he kept the river in view, clinging to the off chance that she may have stopped to partake of the fresh water. His head was kept on a swivel looking for any signs, but in the end he could find no tracks. He was left to determine that if she had come this way, she’d stuck to the road after all. So he returned to the dusty trail, his reckless pace from earlier reduced to a saunter as he wondered just how far she’s gotten, or whether his source was correct in having spotted her at all. Given his luck of late, he was far more prepared to accept the latter.

So imagine his surprise, whence came the singsong voice of not some hapless traveler, but the wanted Daciana herself. Killian’s head popped up at the sound, reining in his in as he looked to the source of the disturbance. He couldn’t be certain it was the woman he was looking for at first; with her hair pinned up and the much more appropriate clothing she looked a far cry different from her poster at a distance. But as she drew nearer, begging his help as sweetly as could be, the postman’s words rang in his head once again: Raven hair and eyes like emeralds... That described the woman before him alright. While the drawing of her wasn’t entirely accurate, they got enough of her features right for Killian to be convinced. And if they wasn’t enough, that glossy, olive skin was a dead giveaway. He fought to keep a grin from sweeping across his handsomely rugged face.

“Well look at this Dagda,” he said quietly to his horse, his words still out of earshot, “Looks like this one is going to offer herself up on a platter to us.” Killian was well armed enough that a cautious person might have thought twice about robbing him. An old repeater was lashed to one side of his saddle, with a shotgun resting in an open saddle bag on the other. That was to say nothing of the revolver he kept on hand at all times, which he very nearly reached for. But before he drew the iron on his hip and held her up, a thought crept into his mind. So far every situation he tried to solve with his gun ended in a bloody shootout and a loss of money... the way things were going if he drew on her now she’s only end up with a bullet in her head. He had a real chance to earn some money here, best not to screw it all up by getting trigger happy. Let’s see where this goes...

“Ho there!” he greeted her instead, one hand lifting to wave while the other kept a tight hold of the reins. “What’s the trouble?” And where’s your horse? Didn’t the fella back at Flatneck Station say she was atop some mighty black charger? And she was charged with horse theft to boot. He eyed the muddy hem of her skirt, wondering at the odd details. Hope she doesn’t think she can steal this one, he mused, suspicious over this innocent performance of hers. She would be in for a rude awakening if so; Dagda was wily at the best of times, and unaccustomed to any but Killian at the reins.

“Pretty dangerous for a woman to be out here all by herself... Reckon you’ll be needing a ride back to town?” He offered her a warm smile, though inwardly was pondering how close he should let her get before he tried to subdue her. He left one hand rested at the side, dangerously close to the shotgun should she give him a reason to draw it.

The rider was hesitant. From a distance a rough a ready sort of fellow. Not entirely the target she had been hoping for. One of those finely dressed prissy boys would have been preferable. She wondered if the man even had much on him. Too late to go back. A few dollar would do well enough for a time. Daciana kept her approach casual but utterly delighted. It was easy enough to feign the joy and delight, her smile beaming as she moved towards him and his massive horse. A handsome beast for a workhorse. Nothing like her Vlad of course. For a little she thought the man might just ride on. What man would refuse a helpless woman wandering the prairie? A cad that’s what kind.

Her smile only beamed brighter as he raised a hand and called out in greeting. She gathered her skirts and picked her feet up in a half trot to close the distance. More than the relief of ‘rescue’ she was keenly aware of how the female form appeared with hard trotting steps, especially with how tight she had cinched the bodice of her blouse. The quicker steps brought her close enough to finally see her ‘hero’s’ face. Green eyes locked on that ruggedly handsome face, thrown into dramatic and sharp shadows from the wide brim of his hat. My, my, my perhaps the scam wasn’t a total loss after all. She slowed her steps, keeping slightly to the side so his large steed wouldn’t be spooked by her.

Handsome he might be she was keenly aware of his rough and ready appearance. Dusty coat and denim pants, all well-worn. If she didn’t know better he lived his life out on the road. The weapons were especially worrying. What did he do? A law man in disguise? Simple hunter? Anything in between? With luck just a simple man who lived a hard traveling life and made sure he was well armed. She did her best to not look at the weapons too long. Had to appear simple, innocent, and trusting. As though he was a savior of the plains. Some legendary hero.

“Dangerous indeed,” she agreed with a chagrined smile. “I didn’t even see the snake…reared up it’s ugly head right on the path. Spooked my horse so bad he reared up and dropped me right down. Well he tried to run but that devilish serpent was too quick. Took a bite out of the poor thing before he ran off. Tried to chase him I did, followed and followed. When I finally caught up to him…” She paused, her lower lip convincingly quivering as her face fell, looking at the great shire’s hooves. “Gone…panic set in his heart racing that poison through him quick as you please. Had him since I was a girl.” Daciana stopped a moment, taking a slow breath as though trying to fight back tears. Finally she lifted her head to look into the handsome face again. Shame to rob such a fine specimen really.

“All that chasing got myself good and lost. I can’t rightly tell where I’m even headed. I hope I’ve not marched myself back to Lemoyne,” she said with a small, self-deprecating laugh. As she spoke she reached out to lay a hand on the shire’s muzzle. The horse seemed to shy away so she let her hand drop to its large, muscular neck. Her delicate fingers traced along the horse’s dark bay coat. “I’d be ever so thankful if such a fine, strong, gentleman might oblige a ride to town.” She paused and her eyes flicked back up to the mystery rider. “If his master thinks that’d be fine of course,” she added with amusement dancing in her eyes, a teasing smirk on her lips, her hand sliding across the shire’s shoulder and coming to rest on the rider’s knee.

“Oh!” Her hand leapt from his knee as though singed to delicately rest on her lips. “How inconsiderate of me, I did not properly introduce myself. I am Ana. Who might I have the distinct pleasure of meeting?”

While she feigned relief, Killian was feigning surprise. Nothing of his expression would give away that he knew who she really was. It was an easy enough thing to pull off when he saw her hurrying over, her appearance literally tailored to distract a man from his intentions. He was none too shy about enjoying the view, but kept his head. Unfortunately for the wily Daciana, Killian was craving the comforts of money far more than the warmth of a woman right now. And so he quickly averted his eyes, ignoring the way her bountiful assets invited his gaze, and focused on her face instead; just as lovely a view, really. But that’s not what he noticed most. Killian liked to think he had a keen eye for detail, and he could have sworn he saw her eyes jump to his weapons, holding just a touch of nervousness. Just what is she planning? He ruminated, trying to keep his hand steady rather than reach for a gun. But Ana knew how to play it cool, and her green eyes stole no more than a brief glance before her attention was back on the dusty traveler himself. She managed enough hopeful admiration in that expression that he had to wonder if she wasn’t actually in some sort of trouble.

Trouble or not, Killian’s face remained placid while she cooked up her tale, the bounty hunter weighing the truth of every word that came flowing from those, full, pouty lips. Oh she’s quite good, he said to himself, finally deciding it was all a lie upon hearing she had the steed from girlhood. If that was true why would horse theft be among her crimes? It was obviously nothing but a story, so what was she really after? Based on the look she sported, you’d almost think she was the one who just stumbled across the easy, $10.00 bounty. In truth, however, Ana had just found the worst mark possible. Not only was he armed, and fully willing to drag her into town dead or alive, he had very little on him that would that would make the robbery worth while. Odds were she’d lift the price of her bounty higher than any valuables she’d get. Aside from Dagda, his weapons with their dwindling ammo, and a bit of camping gear, all she could hope to find was the 93 cents in his pocket, and the last few sips of whiskey left in his flask.

“Well isn’t that just awful,” he commented, wielding a fake tone of sympathy. Even Dagda knew she was untrustworthy, shying away from her touch no matter how thick and sweet she managed to lay it on them. “If it’s any consolation, keep heading this direction and you won’t be finding a swamp anytime soon. We’re a aways west of Lemoyne.” Blue eyes tracked her wandering fingers, watching them trace across Dagda’s coat and draw ever nearer to his rider. More than good, he amended his opinion of her display, nearly forgetting why he was hear once she begged his request, and boldly rested her hand upon his knee. Once she broke contact, though, he could think clearly again, and a little grin teased across his lips when she offered her name. As if he needed any more confirmation this was the woman he was looking for.

“Why, I wouldn’t be much of a gentleman if I said no, now would I?” He patted the side of Dagda’s sturdy neck. “I reckon he’s big enough for the both of us. It’s Killian, by the way.” He saw no harm in giving her his own name, she wouldn’t be able to do much with the information after a few short moments more. Contrary to his words there was no way he was letting her up on this horse; a pretty face didn’t mean she wouldn’t slip a knife between his ribs once she was close enough. But he reached a hand out all the same, both in greeting and to offer her a hand in climbing up the tall horse. No sooner than she accepted it, however, would his calloused fingers snap shut, clutching around her with an iron grip. At the same time his free hand shot to his hip, drawing his revolver, cocking the hammer, and pointing it right at her face in one fluid motion.

“Ana, huh?” He said, dark grin spreading wider across his shadowed face. “Now that wouldn’t happen to be short for ‘Daciana’ would it? You sure look like her...” With her wrist still seized and weapon yet brandished, Killian managed to swing his leg over and slide out of the saddle, boots hitting the ground with a thud. The drop from a big horse like Dagda might have been enough to jar the legs of some, but he was used to working from the big brute. “Hard to believe a sweet thing like you is capable of larceny, horse theft, and black mail... But then, I bet you never believed you’d flag down a bounty hunter for help. Don’t worry, I’ll still give you a ride, Darlin’, but can’t promise you’ll like what’s waitin’ for you at the end of the road.” He had to chuckle at the irony, though he got straight to business before she tried to pull any other tricks.

“Try anything and I’ll put a bullet in your skull,” he promised before wrenching her forward, forcing her to stumble closer. Only then did he release his grip, though he kept his revolver closely trained on her, ready to squeeze the trigger if she took so much a step to break away from him. Instead he was the one to move, closing the distance between them with another step forward. “Pardon me,” he said, mischievous smile claiming his lips, “But I’m the overly cautious sort.” He pressed the cold iron of the gun into her chest, just above that mountain of cleavage, and finally allowed his eyes to wander away from her face. His free hand came to wander as well, unabashedly exploring as he frisked her, patting down her form for anything dangerous she might be hiding beneath those clothes. His brows rumpled in confusion at the frumpy feel until it dawned on him that she was wearing an entirely different set of attire beneath this one; including a gun belt and at least one pistol on her hip.

“Well you’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?” He goaded her, invasive fingers prodding until they found their way into her skirts to grab the revolver she kept beneath. “Now I’m guessing you didn’t run into to no damn snake, so what really happened to that horse you stole?” He demanded, stepping away once he was satisfied she had nothing else to pull on him. “You hidin’ him?” Or maybe she’d left the horse with Mack and the boys. She had known ties with the deadly gang, after all. Killian’s eyes jumped to the distance at the thought, suddenly aware that she could be bait for an even bigger ambush. Not only was the Anderson gang known for their numbers, but it’s cleverness as well. There was a reason Mack and his boys had kept on long enough to get such a price on their heads.

It was all going to plan. She had worked the traveler right around her little finger. Men were so easy to fool. For the most part anyways. Ana gave him a sweet smile of adoration as he consented to giving her a ride to town. Victory sang in her heart as he offered his name and his hand to her. Her hand reached out for his as she spoke. "Killian what a-" but her words cut short as his hand grabbed her. Not the polite hold to help her onto his massive beast but a sudden warm, iron fetter snapped about her wrist. The adoring simper melted away faster than spring snow. Almond eyes went wide, snapping up to his face only to meet with the dark void of a barrel staring her down. Full lips parted and dropped in her shock, ice racing through her veins pumped hard by the hammering of her heart. Her mind raced out of control. What in the seven hells was happening? She was supposed to be robbing him!

"It's Dah-CHI-ana actually," she knee-jerk groused at him as he slaughtered her name. Typical white man. For the moment she knew she was trapped so she held still. Despite the situation she wasn't keen to have a bullet through her skull. The question was: what did he want? Was he a robber too? Would make sense given his appearance. A common raper? Take advantage of a helpless woman on the road. Again: typical white man. She took slow, deep breath to calm her racing mind and pounding heart. Had to stay calm, give him no cause to pull that trigger. He dropped down with a graceful eased, landing hard but unfazed by the decent of such a massive horse. The mental racing came to a sudden, screeching halt as he spoke again. Two accused crimes she was certainly guilty of. Confusion furrowed her brows even as surprise still gleamed from her eyes. A bounty hunter...after her bounty? What bounty? As far as she knew no one had ever caught her in her crimes. Mack and his boys usually took the blame.

The sudden jerked forward skittered her boots across the dirt. Lord Almighty he was strong. The daring, victorious grin on his face was certainly worth being manhandled as such, her fingers growing numb from his grip. "You're excused," she simply said as she looked up at him, her voice a little distant as she puzzled through the situation. Though it was a little difficult with that mischievous look dancing in those blue eyes. She blinked hard as if to break out of that spell. The cold steel made her shiver and she held both hands at shoulder height while he patted her down. Her lips pursed together as she focused her mind away from his wandering hand. A bounty. How did she have a bounty? There wasn't one before she left the gang and that was nearly two weeks ago. Mostly she had been wandering about lost just trying to get to Valentine...so she could do a bit of pickpocketing. She was jarred out of her puzzling when Killian spoke again, having found her revolver. The set up was clever, so she thought. It took him a bit to find the secret fold in the skirts, prodding about her hip and thigh, but he managed. Oh so clever a man.

Sheer affront made her head jerk back as if he had already shot her. "Stole? I didn't steal no damn horse!" Vlad was her horse, he had always been her horse. Her brows pulled together even tighter. Stolen horse. Bounty for crimes she had never actually been caught doing. Besides, stealing a wallet while letting some sweaty man dandle you on his lap hardly counted as stealing. Her eyes darted back and forth as the wheels turned in her mind, not even looking up at the bounty hunter anymore. Her eyes squeezed together as the pieces of the puzzle struggled to fit together. She was really thinking hard. Suddenly the green eyes shot open and she looked right up at Killian. "Mack! Why that dirty son of a..!" She stamped a foot and clenched her fist, almost lowering her hands down but stopped herself. There was still a gun trained on her after all.

"Vlad is my horse, he's always been mine but Mack sees that the gang shares." She didn't mean for the comment to come out hissing like the fantasy snake she had spoken of but the memories of Mack's ideas of sharing poured out. For once Killian was graced with true emotion from her, in her vitriol she was unable to rein in her fury and disgust with her former gang. Though she caught herself, wrapped around in her emotions, and took a low, steadying breath. "Listen, mister Killian, I'm not denying I've done some of those things...but I'm no horse thief. Here." She kept her hands steadily high, no need to give him cause to pull that trigger. Her head turned just a little as she pursed her lips and gave a sharp whistle followed by a call of "Vlad" from her in a high, singsong sort of tone. A whinny responded from a nearby copse of brush and trees. If one looked hard enough they could make out the dark shape suddenly prancing in place. "He's hitched up out of sight. Tell me, would your horse make such a fuss if anyone but you called? I recon it'd be a no."

Of course proof of equine ownership didn't absolve the other two crimes. "I know I've done wrong with Mack and his boys...but I've left them two weeks now. They..." She stopped herself, pressing her lips together. Killian didn't need the details on why she left them. Hard to hide the tight set of her jaw and the icy sharpness in her eye at the memories though. "Well...let's just say I'm done with the likes of them. Now I don't know how much a bounty they've got me for but I'd bet a pig to a throughbred that it isn't a hundred dollars. I know one of his boys comes down here to Flatneck station to play some poker and get drunk. I also know where the camp is if your keen to get Mack himself. I'd love to see that bastard and his thugs get hanged." The mere thought was more delicious than a fresh pecan pie and a delighted but malicious grin spread on her lips at the mere thought.

"Is that so?” Killian replied, tongue dripping with sarcasm when she corrected him on the pronunciation of her name. “I’ll be sure to remind whoever writes it on your tombstone, assuming they give you one. Can’t speak for a proper burial, but here in New Hanover they’ll hang a horse thief as sure as day.” Despite that, she didn’t seem to be putting up much of a fight. Given the way she excused him, in fact, she didn’t seem to mind in the least the way his hands wandered in search of the deadly weapon she undoubtedly hoped to pull on him. But that didn’t keep her from denying at least one of her crimes ever took place. Killian arched a brow at the way she spat out her innocence, almost as though she believed it.

“Well now, what happened to all that southern charm?” He wondered at the swear. But she appeared too deep in thought to notice him anymore. Eyes searched her questioning face until her attention popped back up to him with a realization. He couldn’t be sure what she was going on about when she first spat out Mack’s name, and quite frankly he could care less about the circumstances that led her straight into the clutches of a bounty hunter. All that mattered was the legal tender that would be handed over once he dropped her curvy little brown ass off to the nearest sheriff. She was intent to tell him anyway, though, and Killian only half listened as he stepped backwards towards Dagda, his revolver still pointed squarely at her. Her own gun was quickly tucked away into a saddle bag, replaced for a small bundle of rope instead. Her words sounded sincere enough, but why should he believe her? She’d already proven what a good actress she could be. That emotion was most likely perfectly rehearsed; her honeyed words as good as venom from the snake she claimed to see.

He turned back to face her, ready to get her bound up and on the way to his 10 dollars. But instead he found himself stopping, bindings held loosing in hand as she continued to insist she’d stolen no horse. She even called out, and Killian risked glancing away long enough to note the black shape out in the distance, clearly stirring up at her words. How courteous of her to clue him in; he’s be sure to have a look before carrying her off. But her incessant pleading for him to see things her way only brought Killian to sigh with frustration. “Look Lady, I ain’t interested in your life’s story. This ain’t personal, alright? So don’t go making it that way.” But on she went, trying to persuade him. She even seemed troubled by her past with the Anderson boys, if that hesitant pause was anything to go by. And maybe she was regretful, but he had to believe she certainly wasn’t repentant. And the denial of one crime didn’t absolve her of the rest neither.

“So maybe you’re no horse thief,” he went on to say, “Doesn’t take away the Larceny or blackmail. And if you rode with Mack Anderson odds are you’ve done a whole lot worse. And what about that whole yarn you spun about a horse and a snake? Why should I give a damn about what you haven’t done when I have a fair guess of what you were about to do to yours truly?”

Uncaring about what she had to say next, Killian seized her by the shoulder and twisted her about. One arm was wrenched behind her back, firmly holding her in place while he dared to holster his gun. An instant later her other arm was pulled back to join the first, and rough yet skilled hands worked to tie her wrists together with a frustratingly tight knot of rope. Though he was careful not to react, she found a way to get his attention again. The tune of a potential $100.00 was sounding mighty fine indeed. He hated to be greedy, of course, but that kind of money could be the difference between life and death out here. Even so, he spun her back around to meet her gaze, his own eyes full of doubt. “Sounds like another snake story to me,” he said, even as he considered the possibility. They were pretty close to the station... but no, he couldn’t trust her that easily.

“I’m sure you’d love nothing more than to set me chasing some bigger fish while you squirm away into safer waters. But the tits didn’t work,” he mused with a little grin and a quick glance down to the cleavage he now understood she purposely left on display. Why else would she be wearing different clothes beneath that getup? “So what makes you think I’ll fall for this?” Whatever she might spew next fell on deaf ears as he turned her about and shoved her forward, marching her towards where she’d left her horse. “Let’s just see what you’ve got stashed away over here.” No need to think about some imaginary $100 bounty when her own belongings might fetch a fair price. A sharp whistle saw Dagda trailing behind, hooves clomping and tack jangling.

Once they did reach the lonely tree where she’d hidden Vlad, Killian suddenly broke with a round of laughter. “You expect me to believe you got a fine horse like this through legal means?” He said, passing her a critical look. He shook his head in disbelief before ushering her aside to approach the black beauty. “Easy there, boy,” he said, keeping his movement slow once he drew near enough to ransack the saddle. The first thing to catch his eye was her rolling block rifle, which he quickly pulled free and lifted up to peer through the scope. “What’s an innocent young lady like you need with a gun like this?” He teased her, lowering the rifle. “For more than hunting, I’m sure.” Stowing it away on his own saddle, Killian went through the rest of her belongings before stepping away to consider her horse. He would fetch a fair price indeed, a strong animal like that. Without the right papers though, he wouldn’t touch anywhere near a hundred bucks; not even all her belongings combined would get him that kind of money.

Killian couldn’t keep his eyes from darting towards Ana, the promise of enough paper to carry him through the foreseeable future growing all the more tempting. He hurriedly averted his gaze, though, wandering over to Dagda instead. He did a quick rummage through his own saddle bags, and retrieved his near empty flask of whiskey. “So,” he started to say, pausing just long enough for a quick sip of liquor, “When’s this pretend poker game of yours supposed to take place, exactly?” Was he really considering this? She had to be lying... but then what could it hurt to find out a bit more?

Well at least there was some proof about her horse. Not to mention she had his papers on her. She wondered how well a bounty would hold up if one of the charges was found to be false. He didn't seem to care about the particulars of her involvement with the Anderson gang. No surprise there. She needed to keep her tongue in check, no need to incriminate herself for other charges. Even as he stepped and turned away she held still, uncertain how jumpy this Irish rogue was. Though her eyes darted to the line of rope he drew from the saddle bags. Seemed a bit unnecessary to her, she had been compliant the entire time. Her bright green eyes rolled as though this were just a minor inconvenience. He was right though, one false claim didn't wipe away the slate. Plus she had done worse. Strange Mack didn't put other crimes out. Harder to convince even a crooked cop to put out such a big bounty on some girl when being stared down by Mack Anderson.

"I wasn't going to kill you," she said with a small huff. Though the second her words were out he pushed her around, wrenching an arm behind her back. Ana sucked in a pained hiss through her teeth at the rough handling. "Christ Almighty ya don't have to be so rough," she grumbled as he yanked her arms together. Hardly necessary, again, since she wasn't putting up a fight. The ropes dug and bit into her flesh, her arms uncomfortably pinned. She barely had a moment to settle into the uncomfortable bond before being whipped around once more. "Actually I'd love for you to stop whippin' me around like a lasso," she grumped up at him. Though she didn't miss the glance to her chest and she rolled her eyes at him. Fat load of good getting all gussied up had done her. He made it obvious he didn't trust he lead. Well at least he wasn't stupid but that didn't help her much. Stupid men were easier to control. "Mere hope," she simply said as she was whirled around once more and marched towards Vlad. She laughed at his question about what she might have stashed away. "Wouldn't be robbing you if I had much now would I?"

Vlad lifted his large head up when the pair approached. He gave a happy whinny, tail and ears flicking. Ana smiled at him, such a welcoming and happy horse. The smile turned sour at Killian's laughter and comments. She tossed her head to the side with a little 'humpf' sound. "I have the papers to prove it too. Must be a kick in the teeth to not be right all the time." There wasn't much she could do to stop him rifling about in the saddle bags. Vlad was a sweet creature and didn't mind. He pulled against his ties, wanting attention from the stranger and Ana. He stamped his hoof impatiently as the stranger just grabbed the gun and rooted around. Of course her rifle was something of note. "Yes yes...I'm not innocent, excellent obversation mister Killian. A regular Sherlock Holmes you are." After stowing her gun and finding little of interest in her saddle bags, no surprise there given she was low on supplies, he paused to stare at Vlad. For some reason that heated her blood. Her hands clenched. If he was even thinking of trying to keep Vlad for himself she'd figure a way out of the ropes and bash his head into a rock.

Satisfied she had little of value herself he went to his own bags to grab, of course, whiskey. He was a hard man to read. Was he really so keen on just ten measly dollars? Maybe he was more of a coward than she had originally thought. Easier to nab a woman for ten dollars than go after a dangerous gang member for one hundred. She might need to start thinking of other options to get away from him before he could get her to a sheriff. Worse: before he could take vlad to an auction house. She'd be damned if Vlad got sold off to some lowly farmer to toil until he broke. Her lower lip caught in her teeth as she pondered ways to escape. He hadn't searched her well enough. There was still a knife in her boot. Question was if she could reach it and get out of the ropes in time.

Ana's eyes snapped up at his question, her teeth releasing her lip. A tiny ray of hope bloomed in her chest. Maybe she could get out of this situation after all. "Round about sundown, stays there all night," she said simply enough. "Mack usually had to send someone to collect him for a job." Of course this information didn't entirely help her out. He could easily try to turn them both in for $110. "Listen, Mister Killian, I hear you and your judgement on my honesty given our first meeting. I don't blame you. But this is the honest to God's truth. One hundred dollars, just think of it. I understand you wanting me...trussed up like a turkey until you see I'm not pulling the wool over your eyes. The man's name is Bill but goes by 'Walleye' on account of losing an eye in a drunk knife fight. You're bound to have seen his posters if you've been bounty hunting."

She gave a little pause to let him ruminate about her information. The fact that the white eyed man, Bill Mason, had been on posters was true. Also that he was a known member of the Anderson Gang. "Believe me or not, that's up to you I reckon. What's it gonna hurt to see though? You got me defenseless as a babe. Hell, I'll point him out for you even. He'll recognize me though, bit of a risk for that."

Killian listened to the details of the card game, seemingly without a lick of interest as he stared off into the distance, gingerly sipping at his flask. He savored the whiskey as it struck his tongue, ignoring the burn and reminding himself that these were his last few sips until he dropped off his latest catch. If what she was saying was true it didn’t give him a whole lot of time to bat this around. If he was going to make it to Flatneck station in time for sunset he would have to be back in the saddle again as fast as possible. But that was if her story was true, and those bright blue eyes finally fell on her again, swirling with doubt. For starters, she was far too calm for someone in her situation, and that told him she was at least plotting something. It was always possible the reality just hadn’t settled in yet, but he also knew that Mack Anderson wouldn’t have just let any old lady hoping to sling a gun into his gang. Undoubtedly she was a clever one. And more telling than that were the yarns he already knew she was spinning. If she had the papers for this horse then where were they? He’d already patted her down and tossed her saddlebags.

But even with his misgivings, Killian was chewing over her words. He ambled over to the old tree where Vlad was tied and leaned against the scraggy bark, remaining deep in consideration. Now that he was close enough, her attention hungry steed was able to push himself near enough that Killian had no choice but to reach out and brush his fingers across his furry black muzzle to appease him. As he scratched the beast, he continued to weigh the bait she placed before him. If $100 wasn’t tempting enough, she spoke of the chance another of Mack’s boys would come to collect him eventually. If he played his cards right, he could walk away with more money in a day or two than he’d made the last few months. $200 might even be worth letting her bounty go; if all his added up then it would be 20 times what this sassed up con woman was worth to him.

“Again with the life’s story?” He groaned, taking another gulp of his whiskey as she began making apologies for the lifestyle she chose. Honestly, he could care less about her being a criminal. He wasn’t out for moral justice; just money. She may as well have been a walking sack of coins for all he was concerned. But why settle for coins when you could get a bigger score? She knew how to hook him, especially when she described just who would be showing up for this poker match. “Walleye is it? Yeah I’ve seen the posters.” Was he starting to believe her? Hard not to look past a couple hundred dollars... Even if he brought just one of them in cold, it was worth more than half a day’s ride.

Once more, Killian lifted the flask to his lips, only to pause with a scoff at her offer of assistance. “You think I need your help pointing out a one eyed man posted on every notice board from here to Annesburg?” He shook his head then threw back the flask, draining his whiskey down to the last drop. He sighed, still caught in his indecision as the liquor warmed his innards. “Alright then, Miss Dah-CHI-Ana,” he started to say, mocking the emphasis of her name, “Before I go believing this little fairy tale of yours, let me make one thing perfectly clear: I’m not a second chances type of man, if you catch my meaning. If I untie those ropes and you give me any indication you plan to run, or even so much as look at me the wrong way, then I won’t hesitate to put a bullet in your skull, and be happy enough with the five dollars I get for it. If you understand that, then maybe we can do business.”

Killian returned the cap to his flask and pushed off from his resting spot against the tree. Walking by Vlad, he returned to his own horse, where he traded his flask for a large hunting knife. Blade in hand, he walked back to Ana, stopping a just a couple of feet in front of her where he fell silent, his oceanic eyes staring right into her earthy greens. “The price of your bounty just went up,” he told her. “You want your freedom back? Then it’s gonna take $100 in my hand. Until then, consider yourself my property. So you best damn well hope we can bring this fool in alive, because 50 ain’t gonna cut it.” But the promise was at least enough to cut her ropes, leading Killian to snatch her hands and slice right through the bonds. Though the knife was still in hand, ready to be driven forward if he had reason for it.

“First things first,” he said, eyes still drilling into her, “Let’s prove your ain’t a liar. You say you got the papers for that horse? Well, let’s see ‘em. Go on then, horse thief. Prove your innocence.”

Last edited:
All she could do was wait and hope. He seemed passingly interested at least. It was a decent enough start. Though a decent start didn't help the chaffing of the rough rope around her wrists. Despite the tense atmosphere her trusty steed didn't seem to have that usual empathy. He wanted attention and really demanded it of Killian, pressing forward as far as he could. Ana's lips quirked into a small smile as the bounty hunter finally acquiesced and gave him a light pat on the muzzle. Vlad's ears flicked and he gave a happy little huff with his received attentions. Ever since he was a colt Vlad craved scratches and carrots. More pressing than her steed's dire need for attention was Killian's attention towards far juicier fruit than her.

His initial scoff at her offer was disheartening. Even if her believed her with the evidence of his own eyes he didn't seem to keen on her help. Not that he likely needed it. Given his appearance she assume he did well as a bounty hunter. Easy going and biding his time he drained out his whiskey(clearly a bit of a fish too) and finally stood. Her heart skipped and leaped. Never mind his mocking at the emphatic pronunciation of her name. She tried to keep her face passive but couldn't help the little light in her eyes as he regarded her. His warning was well enough understood. "And I'm none to keen on meetin' Jesus just yet either," she said with a small grin.

Ana held still as he went to his horse and rifled around. Turning back to her she felt a cold tingle trickle down her spine at the sight of that large knife. She was no stranger to weapons but having a large man approach with such a blade while her hands were bound was rather uncomfortable. Ana swallowed hard as he got near but stopped, her green eyes lifting to lock on with his. Her brown raised curiously at the demand then pulled into confusion. What did he-? Her eyebrows shot back up as she understood. He wanted to ensure walleye was brought in alive. "I wasn't plannin' on killin' the man," she said as he grabbed her arms and cleanly cut through the ropes. Lifting her arms up she rubbed her wrists. They were hardly damaged but she did have some pride on softer skin than the average outlaw.

"Ah yes...Vlad's papers..." she said with a small nod. Keeping her motions slow since Killian seemed plenty jumpy she grabbed her skirt and hiked it up. Rather than a racy show of leg she wore boots and britches beneath. She lifted the skirt to reveal a small pouch sewn onto the inside of her gun belt. It opened with a small looping clasp and she drew out a rolled and oiled envelope. Caught around the envelope was a silver pendant on a silver chain. She held onto the pendant but opened the envelope and drew out paper written on vellum. "There you are, clear as the skies," she said as she held the paper out for Killian, tucking the necklace back into the pouch. So it was. Vladimyr Kalo Baiat belonging to a one Daciana Lovara. Ana only hoped Killian didn't travel Lemoyne all too often. Or couldn't spell well. The Lovara name carried a good bit of weight in Lemoyne.

"If you are satisfied then mister Killian," she said as she tucked away Vlad's papers. Instead of dropping her skirts she unclasped the waistband and promptly pulled them off. Folding it neatly she unlaced the fine bodice and pulled it off her head. In her leather vest, white undershirt, and black britches she looked far more the outlaw than in the buttery yellow faux dress. She redid the button of her shirt for a touch more modesty and loosened the laces of her vest somewhat so she could move and breathe properly once more. "Far better," she said with a content sigh before turning away from Killian to put her things away in her saddle bags. Vlad nickered happily with her approach and she gave him a good rub on his muzzle. She just had to play her cards right and she would walk away a free woman. So long as Killian didn't get it in his head he wanted an extra ten dollars.

"Suppose I'm allowed to ride my own horse?" She asked even as she was untying Vlad from the tree. "Unless you're looking for a bit of company," she said with a cheeky grin and a wink.

“In my experience, it doesn’t always matter if you plan to kill a man or not,” he told Ana bluntly. “It’s a big ole’ dangerous world out there. Anything can happen to him.” Bright eyes narrowed slightly as he considered her. “And to you, for that matter,” he added, his lack of trust in her still evident. But they had to find Walleye before they concerned themselves with matters of life and death, so for now he concerned himself with the more pressing issues.

He remained silent, eyes drilling into Ana and spying her every moment as she revealed where she’d been keeping the documents. Those eyes followed her downward, watching as she hiked up her skirt to reveal the hidden outfit he’d already discovered in his search. What he hadn’t been expecting was the expertly crafted pouch sewn right into her gun belt. He couldn’t keep the surprise from sweeping his face as she opened it up and produced his demands. Son of a bitch... he thought, resolving to keep a closer eye on her from now on. She was crafty alright... who know what else she was hiding in those skirts? Perhaps he would have to pat her down more thoroughly... But for now he was more concerned with confirming her honesty, and so rudely snatched the paper right out of her hands. That silver pendant did not escape his greedy eyes, however, and even as he allowed her to tuck away the treasure, he took careful note of where she stashed it.

His attentions bounce between Ana’s face and the note of ownership she produced. Luckily, Killian’s father made sure he knew his letters even from a young age; one of the few good things the man had ever done for him. It would have been an easy thing to fool the uneducated ruffian, hesitant to admit he could not read the document and so foolishly agreeing with what ever scribble she conjured up. But this was no con; these were indeed the papers for the horse, written in her name. A name, luckily for her, that meant little more than $10.00 to Killian.

Once again, eyes jumped to her face as she spoke, a lack of amusement clearly written in his expression as she tried to retrieve the papers and tuck them away. Instead Killian kept them out of her reach, taking a step back when she grasped. “You can have these back when I’ve got my money,” he promised her. “Until then, your little Vladimyr is extra collateral.” He stashed the papers away into a pocket of his own, then stood and waited, eyes never leaving her as she shed he disguise and assumed a look far more befitting of a woman who landed herself on a bounty board. Another scoff broke from his lips when she sounded her approval at the change. “Sure,” he agreed, the bitter taste of sarcasm on his tongue. A lady dressed like an outlaw was sure not to draw any attention... But he said no more on the issue. If they were going to have any chance of making it back to Flatneck Station in good time, they couldn’t stand around her arguing all day.

Even so, Killian remained hesitant as Ana made her way to Vlad and began fidgeting with his tethers. If they tried to make a run for it, Dagda would never be able to keep up with a beast like that. His steed was a fine and sturdy work horse, but he wasn’t built for speed. And while the weight of the two of them would be no burden to the great beast, it would slow them down far too much. Killian had to trust that the promise of bodily harm and the possession of Vlad’s papers would be enough to dissuade her from any trickery. His decision made, Killian met her teasing wink with a warm smile. “Sweetheart, I’d sooner put a knife between my own ribs then let you get close enough to do it,” he told her. “Now get on your horse, and remember what I said about trying to run.”

What the hell am I doing? Killian chastised himself, shaking his head with disbelief as he watched her mount up before making his way to Dagda to do the same. The horse snorted with impatience over this development, stamping the ground as Killian climbed on up. The bounty hunter was sharing in the horse’s temperament... He should just be trussing her up and dragging her to the nearest sheriff for his $10.00, not subjecting himself to this wild goose hunt. And yet, here he was, pulling on the reins to turn themselves about and head back the way they’d come.

“Go on then,” he said, gesturing for her to take the lead. “I’m not taking my eyes off of you for an instant. I want you riding just ahead of me at all times.” Once that was understood and Ana on her way stop Vlad, Killian clucked his tongue and set Dagda off after them, ambling along in their wake. True to his word, his eyes burned into the back of her, watching her every motion for any sign of treachery. The bounty hunter remained deathly silent at first, a menacing shadow abaft her as they traveled the grassy plain. Even should she have spoken, he merely ignored the words, until finally, his own curiosity got the better of him.

“So how’s a lady like you get tied up with them Anderson boys, anyway?” He called up to her, silently wondering just how ingrained she was with this gang of killers.

"Uh! Hey now!" Ana snapped as she lunged to grab Vlad's papers back. Her little face pinched up like a spoiled tyke denied a sweet. She stomped a boot foot in an angry huff. "Fine but at least wrap it!" As she threw her small fit she tossed the oiled envelope at him. Vlad's paper were worth a hell of a lot more than a couple hundred dollars. "Get dirt and sweat all over fine papers," she grumbled as she went back to repacking her bags cinching up Vlad's saddle. A strange saddle to be sure. Most had massive saddles with hard horns at the front for roping. Vlad's saddle was smaller and softer with no horn. Usually a sort of saddle more for pleasure riding of the wealthy. Boy this was a fine mess she had gotten herself into. Still better than with the Anderson boys.

Ana snickered at his quip back at her before putting a hand to her chest in feigned shock. "Why Mister Killian, such an accusation! There are far better ways to a man's heart," she said before laughing as she swung up onto Vlad with ease. With such short legs it was far easier to mount up on a shorter horse. With a gentle nudge the pair moved around Killian and his far taller mount. Dagda dwarfed Vlad by an easy three hands putting Ana's head only as high as Killian's chest when they were mounted. His insistence at her leading the way brought a smirk to her face. "As you wish Mister Killian. Though I don't wonder if it's just for the view." With that Vlad set off at an easy canter. Fast enough to get them to Flatneck in decent time but slow enough for the lumbering shire to keep up. More importantly so he wouldn't think she was trying to make a run for it. She wasn't too keen on testing his aim.

With the different sort of saddle Vlad had Ana's posture was significantly different. Rather than the low rolling ride of the massive western saddles her posture was far more upright. Shoulders back, chest out, only her hips moved in the saddle while the rest of her might as well be a statue. Stranger still were the short, looped reins held in both hands. Vlad's neck arched beautifully as they rode. Complete and utter control as opposed to the easier, looser style of the average cowboy. The only thing about the pair out of control was her hair, bouncing and flying back like a dark storm cloud. Behind her Ana could feel the hard gaze behind her and she glanced back on occasion. She was careful to give no hint of trying to break away, especially when they passed trees. It would be easy enough to try and disappear between the boughs. He could be a good shot but not that good. There were other reason to stay compliant. Clearing her name would be a decent start.

After a long, silent while she heard Killian speak up from behind. Her head tilted back just a little at the question. She put some pressure on Vlad's reins to slow up and ride beside Killian while the track was spacious. "I thought you didn't much care for life stories?" She said with a decent heap of sass, including flipping her cloud of hair. "Would you believe Mack Anderson is quite the beau? I left home and just happened upon Mack. Oh he was a charmer." She sighed wistfully, her shoulders relaxing some as she looked up at the sky dreamily. Turning she spit suddenly, "and I fell for it. Hook, line, sinker, hell even the pole." Her tone was immediately harsher and darker. "Other girls at the camp tried to warn me. Young and dumb I didn't listen. So here we are, three years later. Life sure knows how to throw licks. And you? Seems to me young boys don't dream of bounty hunting?"

The more time Killian spent around Ana, the more he began to realize that she did not fit the bill of a typical outlaw; no matter what boyish garments she donned herself in. For one, your average ruffian didn’t concern themselves with keeping their letters all neat and tidy. Killian has been holding on to his for years now, and it had all the rumpled paper and slightly faded ink one needed to prove it. Still, he followed her demands, having carefully tucked Vlad’s paper into the envelope before stowing it away right along with said letter. But more telling than her mannerisms were her belongings. As confident about it as she appeared, Daciana didn’t look like she came from a rugged life on the road. Her horse and the way she rode him spoke money to Killian. And if her mannerisms weren’t enough to make him suspicious, those papers of ownership were. He was pretty damn sure she didn’t make that kind of money working for Mack.

But more telling than the way she carried herself was that flirtatious nature of hers. What better way to know a woman was nothing but a bundle of trouble? He could only imagine all the poor saps that fell for her wiles... after all, Killian would be lying if he said he didn’t find her more than a little alluring. Even now, bright eyes drank her in, watching as the wind teased through her long, black hair. Ana seemed to feel his appraisal, for she managed to glance back and catch him spying during this thought. Yet Killian did not shy away from her gaze, the perfectly maintained, stony expression on his face giving nothing of his interest away. But of course, he could not hide his curiosity about her in the end.

“That was when you were a talking sack of money,” Killian admitted once Ana slowed up to amble at his side, and questioned him with all the sass she could muster. Besides that, Killian was no one’s fool. He didn’t know enough about this woman to fully trust she was leading him to one of Mack’s boys. She could just as easily be leading him to his doom. The more he knew, the better opinion he could make. Assuming she didn’t spit more lies, a thought which was constantly at the back of his mind. But what she said lined up with what he knew about Mack, and he couldn’t help but see a certain likeness between she and him. Like him, she also wielded her charm against fellow man. Where as Mack might have killed a man outright, robbing a traveler of his livelihood and means of travel was just potentially killing him slower.

“Oh yeah, they say he’s a real charmer,” he grumbled sarcastically, casting his eyes to the road ahead. “Though, far better known as a cold blooded killer.” Surely that would have dissuaded a proper lady. Or maybe that’s what really attracted her in the first place. Then again, perhaps she was too sheltered to know that bit. If she came from money like he suspected, maybe her head was too far in the clouds to look reality in the face. And there was always the chance she just didn’t know about the scoundrel’s reputation. Judging by that accent of hers, he had no reason to suspect she was born and raised here in New Hanover. Just how far from home did she spring?

Why am I coming up with excuses for her? He wondered to himself, quickly diverting his gaze, which had drifted back to linger on Ana somehow. It was important to remember that she was every bit the criminal Mack was, whether she was charmed into the degenerate’s way of life or not. The only reason she hadn’t pulled that gun on him was because he managed to pull his first. Even so, it was hard to be completely without sympathy. He could only imagine what transpired to drive her away from Mack and his flunkies. But, that was under the assumption she wasn’t lying through her teeth. He was far from taking her at her word, and so made no comment at the end of her brief story. And, as she turned the question back on him, Killian found himself even more hesitant to speak.

“A man’s got to make a living,” he said after a moment, bright eyes jumping to the rider beside him, “And I figured, why not do what I’m good at?” But his face soon soured, the bounty hunter fleeing from her visage again as his eyes settled on trail ahead. “At least, I thought I was good at it,” he grumbled, more to himself than to her. “Yet here I am, bounty in tow and riding the wrong way... You better not be wasting my time with this stunt.” Abaft them, a lazy sun was already sinking towards the horizon, enkindling the skies with an apricot hue. Sundown would be upon them quicker than he thought, meaning this poker game would likely be well on its way before they even made it back to the station.

“Enough talk,” Killian snapped, cutting their conversation short, “We’ll never make it if we hang around here.”

Abandoning his caution from earlier, Killian gave Dagda a tap in the flanks and galloped on ahead of them, the hefty steed picking up the pace as best he could. The sound of the shire’s thunderous hooves helped to drown out his thoughts, somewhat, giving him something to focus on instead of the anxiety his unexpected ‘companion’ brought along. He never much cared for giving a man, or woman in this case, his back when they had reason to stab him in it. In fact, Killian made a habit of never fully trusting anyone, even those on friendly terms. Never did he think he’d choose to share the road with a woman that just tried to rob him; especially when he could potentially trade her for a hot meal and some whiskey.

Maybe that pretty face fooled me after all, he thought, chewing the cud over the way this gypsy girl talked herself right out of his chains all the way to their destination.

Ana couldn't help but snort at Killian's grumbling response. He wasn't wrong though and it was something she learned over time. Mack was charming when he wanted to be. Under that gilding, however, he was cruel, selfish, and even a bit evil. Cold blooded killer and much more than that. It had taken her far too long to scratch away the gold plating on Mack. She glanced up and over at Killian, catching his gaze before he looked back to the road. Maybe she was doing it again? Too quick to put her trust in a handsome face. Killian had to be a little different right? On the right side of the law and all. More a gray side being a bounty hunter.

His response to her question was simple enough. A living, sure. Still didn't seem the type of living folk set out to do. More the type someone might fall into after some hard times. Her head tilted at him, expecting more explanation. Unlike him she was very curious about back story. Her eyebrows raised as he grumbled to himself about having a bounty in tow. For her own sake she hoped she wasn't wasting his time. Last thing she needed was to be trussed up like a Christmas goose again and hauled into town for a measly ten dollars. At least it was a small enough amount to make other targets far more enticing. She opened her mouth to contest the wasting of his time but he snapped up first and nudged his mount into a strong gallop.

Ana shrugged and gave Vlad a tap of her heels with a small click of her tongue. Vlad tossed his head and lunged into a gallop. While he would, arguably, be faster than Dagda the shire's legs gave him a bit of advantage. Every stride of Dagda's was a stride and a half for Vlad. The pair of them thundered down the dirt road. Ana was careful to stay somewhat in Killian's line of sight. He wouldn't have to turn much to be able to see her. The last thing she wanted was for him to think she would try and make a run for it. Especially given that he decided to trust her a bit to ride in front.

The dark hues of twilight filled the sky as they reached Flatneck Station. Ana sat up in her saddle and eased Vlad to a halt. Outside of the lonely outpost four horses stood, snoozing with their reins tide to hitching posts. Ana gave a quiet sigh of relief when she recognized a somewhat mangy looking, grey, quarter mix. "That's Walleye's horse," she said quietly to Killian, pointing at the grey gelding. "I can go untie the horses....make it so he can't escape," she said with a small shrug. A common enough practice at least among the scoundrels of the world. Unmounted quarry was much easier to deal with. "Or however you do things. You're the expert here."

Though it was a harmless question, and expected considering he’d asked about her past first, Killian found himself brooding over Ana’s inquiry most of the way to Flatneck Station. If he was quiet and agitated before he was deadly silent and seething now; he sat upon his great horse like a building storm, plenty of black clouds but no thunder as of yet; even if plenty of lightning was sparking in his eyes. His reason for falling into this line of work was something he was hesitant to discuss with a friend, let alone some degenerate harlot he’d somehow picked up from the side of the road. For three years he’d held kept tight hold of his past in the form of the letter now tucked safely in his breast pocket. If he couldn’t even explain it to her how was he supposed to explain it to this wild criminal now riding at his side? She’d never understand even if he tried, anyway. The truth of how this all began was enough to make most men quail.

She seemed to know better than to pester him with any more questions, at least, granting him the silence he wished for. Killian’s mind remained abuzz, however, caught between scolding himself for this course of action and strategizing how to handle Walleye once they arrived. God willing, he might just take a man alive for once. If he’s even there, Killian had to remind himself. He still had no reason to trust Daciana; and until he did it was important to manage expectations. Either way, he wouldn’t be leaving empty handed as long as he dragged her along for assurances. But if she’s lying, he decided silently to himself, I’ll be delivering a corpse to the sheriff instead.

Fortunately for Daciana, that did not seem to be the case. Killian brought them to a halt a fair distance away from the lonely station, an uninviting den of shadows in the encroaching darkness. Aside from the horses, there wasn’t a sign of life anywhere around. Eyes jumped to the grey one she indicated, but whether or not it was truly Walleye’s horse was something he could only take her word for. Still, she seemed genuine; and no doubt something or another was taking place down there. No reason to believe it wasn’t a poker game.

“Don’t be so hasty,” Killian warned Ana as she offered to jump into action. “By my count there’s four guns against one, because I sure as hell ain’t givin’ you a weapon.” The bounty hunter dismounted his horse, dropping to the ground where he stretched out his back and continued to appraise the situation. With a sigh, he removed his hat and smoothed back his red curls, relishing the cool breeze. “Horses or not those aren’t great odds...” As tempting as the money might be he wasn’t interested in dying for it. Replacing his hat, he gave a little grumble of discontentment.

Suddenly, Killian recalled the rolling block rifle he’d take from Ana’s saddle, and promptly retrieved it. A quick look through the scope gave him a better sight of their challenge. In retrospect her idea wasn’t too bad. As far as he could tell there was no sentry watching over the doors or horses, nor even a window to give her away if she snuck down there and set the horses loose. If Walleye was really in there he’d have no where to run then. And even if she was somehow spotted untying the horses, it was better to risk her neck than his own. But that still left things at four against one...

One and a half, I guess, Killian amended himself, blue eyes shifting away from the scope to fall upon the raven haired beauty beside him.

“How long do these poker games go on?” He asked, though her answer did little to change his decided plan of action. “Alright, fine. You go on down there and untie the horses like you said. I’ll stay here with the rifle keeping watch in case anything goes awry.” Or incase you get any funny ideas, though he left that part unsaid. “As soon as they’re free you hurry right back up here.”

Assuming she wasn’t spotted all they would have to do is wait at a distance until their quarry wrapped up this little poker game and stepped outside. With the rifle he and his friends would be sitting ducks then. He’d pick them off one by one until Walleye was the only one left. Assuming he didn’t miss, anyway. She didn’t have much ammunition left by his count, but as long as he could down one or two of them his chances of winning this scrap would be much higher.

“Get to it, then,” he said, passing another glance at Ana, “And keep your head down.”

Last edited:
Ana rolled her eyes at Killian. “I figured that,” she said with a small huff. She couldn’t entirely blame him for not trusting her. If catching Walleye was successful maybe that trust would go up enough for him to help her clear her own bounty. Ana leaned forward in her saddled and swung a long leg backward over the cantle to dismount. Rather than a leg forward and dropping down like a sack of potatoes her way was far more elegant and graceful. Also easier given her saddle lacked a massive horn.

Killian seemed hesitant. No surprise, they were definitely outgunned. With darkness closing in it was difficult to see much of the station too. Her eyes lifted to him as he sighed and brushed back his curling red hair. Not a common sight and not entirely unpleasant. Good wash and dry and she thought those curls would be mighty fine looking. “Great risk and great reward,” she said with a small shrug, tucking her thumbs into her belt, the holster empty and flopping uselessly. Her eyes followed him as he fetched her rifle off his horse. Lips pursed together and eyes narrowed as he lifted up the rifle to his eye. He should be thankful she had that.

“Couple of hours I suppose…sometimes Mack’d have to send someone to fetch Walleye back the next mornin’ if he was plannin’ a job,” she said simply enough and tossed in a shrug for good measure. Dark eyebrows rose as he finally relented to her plan. Idea really since it wasn’t exactly a full plan. Well that was a bit of trust. She didn’t know how good he was with a rifle like that. She could try and get away. Of course she would never leave Vlad with him like that. Besides she’d rather get her bounty cleared first.

“I know how to do this,” she scoffed at him. Wasn’t the first time she’d untied a line of horses. Something told her it wasn’t likely to be the last time either. “Just don’t shoot me y’hear? I’m trustin’ you.” A heavily weighted word to toss around. She was going out in the open downrange of him and a high powered rifle. That took plenty of trust.

With that she crept off into the darkness. With her raven cloak of hair and dark pants she might have disappeared into the shadows. The white shirt, however, entirely ruined the effect. She crept down to the station, careful and wary, her back hunched over. Her pace slowed as she approached, keeping as low as possible and avoiding any windows or light. As she got close to the horses she pulled a knife from her boot. Some bounty hunter, couldn’t even inspect a girl properly. The horses didn’t spook with her approach. One lifted its head but otherwise they were calm.

Ana was quick to slice through the reins. Even if they managed to catch one or two horses it’d be hard to ride with the reins shortened so drastically. The only problem was the horses just kept standing there. Their reins dandled from their bridles but they just held still. “Go on…git,” she whispered at them, waving her hands to shoo them. The grey horse heaved a sigh and shook its mane but they all remained. “Damn old nags the bunch of ya.” She pushed the muzzle of one and it walked a couple of paces before dropping it’s head to chomp some grass. Her little fingers balled into fists and shook at the horses, miming strangulation.

“Sorry ol’ girl…” Ana whispered to the old quarter horse. She turned the mare’s head and gave her a sharp prick on the flank with her knife. The mare squealed, bucked(which Ana managed to narrowly avoid,) and took off at a gallop. The other horses were spurred into fright by the running mare and followed after her. Ana huffed an annoyed sigh, hands on her hips. She turned to go back to Killian when she heard a door slam open. Quick as a startled hare she scooted to the short side of the building and tucked herself behind a stack of wooden crates, her heart slamming against her chest.

“Horses is gone!” Came a shout from the other end of the building. Ana could hear the scrape and clatter from inside as the men rushed out. All four of them ran out of the building, skidding to a halt when they rounded the corner to see the horses all gone. None other than Walleye himself stomped to the hitching post. He inspected the leather still hanging there and spit.

“Someone’s cut the reins,” he growled as he drew out his revolver. “Check around, couldn’t have got far,” he ordered with a wave to one of the others. A scrawny blond man raised his own revolver and began creeping around the building. Closer and closer to where Ana had tucked herself. “Now whoever’s out there you come on out ya hear? Talk this over like men!” Walleye yelled into the darkness.

The scrawny blond turned the corner and froze when he came upon Ana. His gun came up but she reacted first. She launched herself forward and drove her knife into his ribs. The gun fired, despite being at her left and a little behind her, the bullet sending splinters of wood flying from the side of the building. The gunshot alerted the others and they ran for the sound. Ana left her knife in the man, leaving him to choke on his blood, snatched his gun and ran around the building. She clambered up some crates and onto the roof as the men rounded the corner. Ana laid herself flat on the rooftop as the men stopped.

“Did ya see where they went?” Walleye asked with a low growl.

“Woods maybe…” a tall Mexican man said as he turned to peer into the dark tree line.

“Woulda seen em,” the shorter brunette man said with a shake of his head.

“Well you go check the roof,” Walleye said, gesturing at the Mexican. “And you go around t’the other side,” he said to the other.

Killian didn’t favor the idea of keeping lookout straight unto morning, but the prospect of bagging another Anderson bounty was nothing to scoff at. First Walleye, he thought to himself, considering the course of action, Then we’ll find out if its worth hangin’ ‘round for the other. He would wait a few hours at least; that would give his target plenty of time to get nice and liquored up. If he didn’t show his face before that, then at least the lot of them would be too drunk to shoot straight. That’s what he was hoping for, anyway. It was a stupid man who drank away his senses while betting his money. But then, if Walleye was smart man they wouldn’t have to send someone to drag him back for the next job.

Regardless of the wait, the die had been cast as Ana moved from their position, skulking away from their lookout with the promise of trusting him. “Seems a foolish thing to do,” he muttered over her decision, too quietly for her to hear. Even as he said it, Killian was tracking her movements by way of the rifle, his aim focused squarely between her shoulder blades. His finger rested near the trigger, and he was ready to pull it if she gave him any reason to. Despite the precarious thoughts, Killian had to admit that Daciana was as pleasant a sight from the back as she was from the front. No harm enjoying the view, he decided, sweeping his aim down to take in the rest of her. Just because she was guilty of robbing a few folk didn’t mean he couldn’t appreciate the rest of her assets.

The shapely scenery was more difficult to take in the further away she got, her dark, olive skin making her night invisible in the fading light. If not for that beacon of a shirt, even he might have missed her sneaking around by the time she reached the station. But there was no mistaking the silvery gleam that came free of her boot, catching what little light there was on offer. He scoffed quietly, berating himself for making such a rookie mistake while she cut through the reins.

“I’ll have to strip this one down to her knickers before I found everything she’s hiding,” he complained to no one but the horses, both of which were too busy nibbling at tufts of grass to pay him any mind. Though, even if he did strip her down, she’d likely still find something to surprise him with. She was practically a magician what with the way she was pulling these things from no where.

But however may crafty she may be at storing things on her person, when it came to setting loose the horses she wasn’t quite so successful. Killian shook his head with a sigh as he watched the display, his anxiety increasing with the more time she spent fooling around down there. This is going about as well as expected... he thought bitterly. Oh, but things got better yet, it seemed, with Ana nearly having her head kicked off, and the fleeing whinnies of the horses alerting everyone inside. Killian’s aim jumped from a startled looking Ana to the door thrusting open, where emerged his first target. Killian’s finger was at the ready as he tracked the man, with the other three parties joining him outside just moments after.

Not yet, he told himself, moving his scope from one target to the other. Gotta wait for the right moment. Now... Which one of you little fishes is the walleye?

It was a hard thing to distinguish, what with the darkness settling in, reducing visibility every second. But that dead, white eye stuck out just enough that Killian was able to identify him once he’d ambled over to the hitching post. He had Walleye’s ugly mug right in his crosshairs, even as he pulled pulled a revolver and gave his orders; words Killian could not hear but quickly deduced by the way the men spread out and began to search. It would have been an easy thing to end his life then and there, and the bounty hunter might well have done it if the convenience didn’t cost a whopping fifty dollars.

Instead, Killian readjusted the rifle, followinf the soft sheen of blond hair venturing closer to where Ana had run off to. He’s going to find her, he realized, and hastily took aim at the man just as he rounded the corner. Killian would have taken his shot there and then, had a black shadow not leapt out and attacked the gambler instead. Ana was quick as lightning, sticking the man whose gunshot shattered the silence, alerting the rest of the group to her. Killian was too busy trying to see the outcome of her scuffle; too busy fearing that bullet found its mark, to take out the others while they were stunned. But it seemed the woman was determined to live another day, leaving her would be assailant in a bloody heap as she took off for the roof, quick as a whippet.

Enough worrying about the girl, he chided himself, turning his attention back to the trio as they once again split up to search for her. The brunette was next to fall into his sights, and creeping around, so cautious as he was, the man made for an easy target. Killian took a deep, calming breath, steeling himself for the conflict to come, then pulled the trigger. The round exploded through his target’s neck, dropping him at once. Not a second thought was spared for the gurgling dead weight, his aim seeking out the next on his list to die: The one heading for the roof. But, having been alerted by the first shot, the Mexican had just enough time to jump for refuge. Killian only caught a glimpse of him, but he was quick to pull the trigger and send a bullet whistling into the empty space that remained.

“Damnit”, he growled with annoyance, immediately dropping into a crouch in an effort to appear less noticeable. Walleye had managed to jump for cover as well, and now his sitting ducks were a couple of well hidden mice in the obscurity. He could faintly pick out their voices, though, shouting across the station in a poor attempt to coordinate some kind of counterattack. Neither seemed willing to pop their heads out for quite some time, however, until Killian was surprised by the sound of a revolver shooting towards his direction. He flinched, hunkering down on instinct, but the bullet didn’t land anywhere near him. Must have been a guess shot, he realized. They haven’t spotted me yet.

Indeed, the distance as well as his mostly black attire made him difficult to pick out; he practically blended into the shadows. The dark coats of the horses helped to camouflage them as well, though they were big enough that the pair would be spotted if Walleye or his lackey popped out long enough to take a good look. Aside from that one, bold shot, however, their courage seemed to be missing. Unfortunately for them, Killian was nothing if not a patient man. He kept his aim focused in the general area of where he’d last seen the Mexican, knowing he had to be somewhere behind those crates. That was, unless he’d managed to get squirm around the building somehow. A flicker of motion told him that was not the case, though, and on a whim, Killian took a shot at the crates. Wood splintered as the round blew through, narrowly missing its target but startling him enough that he jumped up in alarm. A big mistake, for Killian swept up and shot him right through the chest, putting an end to the last of Walleye’s entourage.

Now for the big fish, he thought smugly, sweeping his gun to the left in search of the bounty he’d come for. He caught a quick flash of his shoulder, at least, as the coward sprang up from his hiding place and bolted for the rear of the building. An instant later he was out of sight, the train station serving as a shield between Killian’s rifle and himself. Killian growled and sprang up to his feet. There was nothing for it but to go down there now; preferably before Ana got decided to take things into her own hands. She’d proven herself a loaded pistol so far, and given her position she had ample opportunity to get to Walleye before Killian even made it to the station. He leapt up on Dagda all the same, hurrying down to the scene before Walleye got any clever ideas about trying to escape this ordeal, or Ana got her claws in him.

Ana’s heart hammered in her chest. This was not how she expected things to go. Damn old horses. She could hear them making plans and tromping away to search. Boy how lucky had she been to dodge that literal bullet? The man’s blood was sticky on her hands as it started to dry. She’d have to think about that later. For the time being she head Walleye sending one of them to the roof. Slowly, cautiously, she tried to slide her body sideways towards the apex of the roof. Too quick and she’d be heard, too slow and she’d probably be seen.

The crack of a shot split the air. Ana froze, her heart stopping for a beat before resuming its frantic pace. No pain. It wasn’t her that got shot. She could hear the wrenching gurgle of someone choking on their own lifeblood. Ana shuddered at the sound. Silence again. Too much silence, she couldn’t scuff her way across the roof totally silent. Another shot ripped through the night, this time closer to her. Still no pain. Were they weren’t jut shooting blind off into the dark? She tried to twist her head around to see off into the tree line where she had left Killian. It was no use. Ana wasn’t about to raise her head too much and become a target.

She could hear Walleye and his thickly accented companion speaking to one another in loud whispers. The sound was more like a gathering of snakes hissing rather than words though. Seemed like they were just trying to figure out where the other was and if they should try and make a run for it. Apparently the threat of a distant rifle was more frightening than whoever had stabbed their companion. So she just lay there waiting for something to happen. To hear one of them move or for Killian to move in. So much for their planning.

Another shot suddenly echoed from the distance making Ana jerk in surprise. The crackling splinter of wood followed behind. Then the pounding of running steps. A third shot and a grunt of pain followed by the heavy thud of a falling body. Ana was impressed. Killian was quite the shot with her rifle. She’d have to think twice about going down range of his sights in the future. Running steps weren’t far behind and she caught a small flash of Walleye rounding the building, well out of sight of Killian and her rifle. However he had completely forgotten about her.

Still just as careful Ana wriggled herself forward where she thought Walleye had run off to. Still every so careful she poked her head over the rooftop. There he was. His back pressed against the side, chest heaving and head swinging back and forth to either side. Trapped like a dirty rat. He didn’t look up, likely assuming the threat to come from the sides. Ana’s hands twitched, an electric thrill running through them. She didn’t care about the bounty, save for Killian’s threat. The smell of his breath and oily sweat came back to her, making her nauseous. Her ears rang with memories of heavy breathing, her blood coursing and pumping fast. The thundering of her heart grew louder, drowning out the sounds of the past.

Ana moved before she could think properly. She stood up and dropped down right on top of Walleye. The man yelled in fright as her weight took them both to the ground. Both guns tumbled away forgotten. Ana grappled with Walleye but with her surprise attack gained the upperhand. She got him pinned down with her knees, her hands around his throat and slammed his head into the dirt below.

“Show you…” slam, “…to ever touch…” slam, “….a woman…” slam, “…like that…” slam, “again!” It was hardly hard enough to kill him right away. A bruising at first but eventually the flesh of the skull split and he began bleeding into the dirt. His struggles slowed as he was dizzied and delirious from the attacks.

Knowing Ana was on the roof, Killian kept his eyes locked to the spot while Dagda thundered towards the station. It was too dark to make her out until she decided to stand, giving Killian a glimpse of shadowy motion before she dropped over the edge. It wasn’t hard to guess why. And if there was any doubt, the scream of surprise that followed crushed it. She was going for Walleye, just like he feared. Why do my instincts always have to be right on the money? He griped to himself, hating it at times.

“Come on, boy!” Killian urged his steed, the prospect of losing not one but two bounties suddenly very real. The bulky shire put on an added burst of speed, but by the time they made it to Flatneck and rounded the corner, Daciana had already overpowered the outlaw; and to startling effect, at that. He could scarcely believe what he was witnessing once he reined Dagda. In a flash, he dropped from the saddle even before the massive horse was fully halted. If he wasn’t so accustomed to the drop he would have ended up right on his ass. Instead, he weathered the jarring of the knees, and half ran, half staggered over to them.

He caught only the tail end of her rant ‘woman...’ ‘like that...’ ‘again...’ There was no making sense of it, but then again he wasn’t trying to. He could care less about her personal vendettas or motivations. That was his property she trying to crack like a melon. Killian practically tackled her, his imposing figure dropping on her from behind. Strong arms wrapped around her chest tight as they could and he hefted her right off of Walleye, straight up into the air kicking and screaming as she was.

“That’s enough!” He shouted.

As soon as he got her free of the near comatose man he spun her about, only to drop her back to her feet. There was no chance to use them, however, before she was further manhandled, rudely shoved back against the station wall and pinned there by a hand firmly planted against her sternum.

“The hell’s wrong with you?!” He roared, free hand quickly dropping to his holster to produce his revolver. He pointed it right at her face, still flush from the activity, eyes narrowed to pinpoints as he seethed at her. “I need him alive, not beaten to death! Crazy ass dame...” He risked a quick glance back at Walleye where he lay, blubbering mess that he was. “Don’t you fuckin move...” His voice carried a hefty dose of venom, his gun still trained on her even as he strode back towards Walleye.

“Hey... Buddy!” Killian shouted, looking down at the man’s sluggish reactions. It was too dark to see the extent of Ana’s handiwork, but even in the obscurity he could see the slick sheen of blood pouring from the downed man’s skull. Only one eye was stark white, but they were both so glazed it was almost difficult to tell which. The fingers of his right hand were opening in closing as if in vain attempt to grasp at something. Killian have the hand a little kick with the toe of his boot, to almost no reaction.

“God damn it!” He exclaimed, deciding to holster his gun. He still had plenty of concern over the girl, but right now all he could see was the money draining right out of this fella’s head. “Come on, get over here,” he ordered Ana. “I’ve got to bandage this up. There’s some old rags in my saddle bag. Help me get him into the light...” not that there was much of it, but a little closer to the station provided a bit. Any hesitating on her part was promptly scolded. “Now! Off your ass! So help me, if he dies so do you. I swear it on my fathers grave!” Not that I left him one... he thought bitterly. But there was no time to entertain the ghosts of his past. Not while there was his livelihood at stake.

Once she obeyed, he had her remain with Walleye a moment. “There, keep his head up,” he instructed further. This was her mess and he’d be damned if she wasn’t going to help clean it up. Killian didn’t know much about the proper way to dress a wound, but he had enough experience in trying to save sorry saps like this one that he was quick and efficient. The most important thing was to stop the bleeding, and as he began to wound the cloth around Walleye’s gushing head still resting in Ana’s hands, he only hoped that would be enough.

“So I’m guessing Mack is the only one in the gang who ‘charmed’ you...” He dared to suggest, blue eyes flicking up from his work to search her face, but only for a moment. He didn’t even need her to say anything. The fragment of a sentence was a pretty big clue... And if that wasn’t enough, the pure, unbridled rage he saw in that attack was. Hadrian knew that look only too well.

“Whatever your issues with Anderson and his boys...” he started to say, returning the focus to his work, “It’s none of my business. But you let it interfere with my work again, and you’re gonna wish you were this guy by the time I’m done you you. Now, let’s hope this ugly bastard holds out long enough to get me my money.”

Or at least until he tells me what he knows.. They had until the next morning at the least, to find out if another of Mack’s goons would be paying a visit. Just got to find a good spot to post up nearby, he convinced himself. Once they were somewhere more secure, maybe his catch would be a little more coherent. Though, with the state Ana left him in, Killian wouldn’t be surprised if the poor bastard already uttered his last words.

“Let’s get him on the horse,” he told her once the work was finished, moving to heft the mumbling fool up onto Dagda. Killian was quick to mount after, and once he did, his attentions settled on Ana.“You too,” he told her. “Saddle up. Like I said, you’re mine ‘til that money in hand.”

Ana could barely see, her vision dark and red as she beat the dog piss out of Walleye. She couldn't feel anything except the electricity of vengeance coursing her veins. Her teeth bared as she snarled down at her prey. She didn't hear the thunder of hooves or the staggering boots, just the singing of flesh on dirt. Suddenly she was yanked away, her prey vanishing as she was hefted up with ease. Ana snarled and scratched like a furious hellcat, swung around and dropped onto the ground. Barely a moment before her back collided with something rough and hard. Far and away there was a voice, muffled and mumbling behind the ringing in her ears.

Green eyes blinked hard. The ringing ceased and a cold rush flowed along her spine to her fingers and toes. Her vision brightened again, as much as it could in the dark, and she looked up at Killian. Killian and the barrel of a revolver. For a moment she looked surprised and puzzled. When did she get there? She glanced down at his large, rough hand, firmly planted between her breasts. Anna shook her head to clear the last of the buzzing in her brain and glanced to Walleye when Killian roared he needed the man alive. She noted the pool of blood around Walleye's head where he lay limp in the dirt.

She said nothing as Killian stepped away, revolver still trained on her, to check on the unconscious man. Her hand came up and ran down her face and neck to rest over her still hammering heart. Boy howdy and she thought only too much whiskey could cause a such a blackout. She only vaguely remembered jumping off the roof and scuffling with Walleye. Mostly it was all just a blur, like trying to recall a dream. She looked back over to Killian as he kicked Walleye's unresponsive hand and shouted in his dismay. Well color her pink, she'd done that hadn't she? Bad form.

"Sure thing," she mumbled distantly with Killian's shouting order. "Easy there sugar, I'm coming," she said as she took a couple wobbling steps over to help move Walleye into better lighting. Boy she had done a number on the man. Where had that crazy been a month ago? Could have used it back then, wouldn't be in this mess if she had. Once Walleye was moved she crouched behind the comatose man and kept his head lifted up. Blood oozed and dripped to make a new puddle in the dirt.

Killian's comment snapped her eyes to him, narrowed and seething. "Charm's not what I'd call it," she growled back at him as he returned to wrapping the outlaw's bloody head. She moved her hands around, keeping Walleye's head elevated as Killian bound the wound as best as he could. She nodded some as he gave her a warning about spoiling his bounties. "Men bleed from like stuck pigs, he'll be fine," she retorted with a roll of her eyes as the binding was finished off. "But I hear you, won't be bloodying the next one." Despite her attempts at sass her tone was distant, like someone hungover from a night of heavy drinking.

Ana stood to help heft Walleye's unconscious form up onto Dagda. Not much helping really given the height of the animal. Walleye just dangled there like a fresh kill. Killian was quick enough to follow and tell her to mount up as well. Her dark brows quirked and she glanced around a moment before placing her fists on her hips, a little smirk on her full lips. "All yours huh? Can't say I'm not flattered, seems like Dagda's a bit full up though." Her normal self was starting to come back after that odd episode. She turned and gave a short, sharp whistle along with the sing-songy call of her steed's name. Off in the distance an excited whinny could be heard.

Vlad emerged from the distant darkness, his coat making him nearly impossible to see until stepping into the light pouring from the station. He slowed from gallop to trot and finally a stately walk right up to Ana. His big, velvety nose pressed to her shoulder. Ana smiled at the big softy and gave his jaws a scratch before looping the short reins over his neck and hopping herself into the small saddle.

"So, Mister Killian, we stickin' 'round here till one of the boys shows? Don't reckon Walleye's gonna expire soon but might be best to get him in." Before Killian could respond she raised her hands in mock surrender. "Your call though. After all, I'm yours till that money's in your hand."

Even as they busied themselves with the task of mounting up and heading out, Killian couldn’t get the image of Ana attacking Walleye like that. It was a strange thing to see the woman lose herself like that, only to come out of the rage, seemingly with no memory of it even taking place. It added a whole new level of complexity to things. On one hand, Killian felt more than a little wary after seeing her turn on a man like that. Suppose she decided to do the same to get Vlad’s papers back? Definitely don’t close your eyes around her, he warned himself.

On the other hand, though, Killian found himself empathizing with Daciana. He’d already put two and two together, and knew his tasteless comment about the Andersons and their ‘charm’ did nothing to help the situation. In the end it was her own choices that led her there, and so Killian wasn’t about to feel guilty over something he had no part in; but losing yourself like that... That was something he understood more than he’d like. He knew what it was for the world to disappear; to seize up entirely in a moment of pure hatred and rage. Never had he seen one come out of it quite so calmly as Ana, though. And that was... unsettling, to say the least. Who knew what else she was capable of?

Hooked myself a crazy one, Killian was thinking when she put hands to her hips and smirked up at him. In all the fluster he’d completely forgotten Vlad; a fine horse probably worth more than the blood soaked fool dangling over Dagda. That was bad form on his own part. Leave it to him to look the fool while scolding her. He said nothing on that, however, waiting in silence atop his restless shire, who stomped and snorted until the other horse finally joined them.

Once she was saddled up, Killian scoffed at her mock form of surrender. “I don’t plan to wait here all night if I don’t have to,” he told her. “We’re going to see if we can’t get old One-Eye here lucid enough to talk. Then I’ll decide whether or not one Anderson is enough to pay for all this trouble you’re bringin’ me.”

Truth be told, things had worked out pretty well in the end. But as long as he had leverage over the woman he planned to use it. If not for her foul up with the horses, he could already have Walleye singing. And who knew? Maybe what started as a plan to catch a little fish might land him a whopper. If he played his cards right, maybe Walleye’s information could help to nab them all.

“Let’s just hope this fool can remember his own name, let alone whatever plans the gang has for him.,” Killian told Ana, his eyes darkening with blame.

By a click of Killian’s tongue and a tap to the flanks, Dagda set off, galloping away from the station with Walleye a bouncing mess atop him. The man grumbled and moaned, senses long gone as they rode away into the night. Killian could not say where they were riding; a spot to lay low a while, but he didn’t understand this area well enough to know one off hand. With no better choice, he made West towards the river. If all else failed they could just follow it north, straight onto Valentine where he could drop Walleye off for the cash. It was a good hour’s ride or more, and a poor moon for visibility. But luckily the land remained flat for the most part, seeing them reach the Dakota’s shore in one piece.

Killian hopped down from Dagda’s back upon arrival, rounding the great devil of a beast to pull down Walleye as well. The outlaw seemed a little more coherent than when they’d first rode out, but he was still mumbling nonsense as the bounty hunter slung him over a shoulder and carried him towards the sandy bank. Killian let him drop there, burbling as he was, a little less gently than he should have. He sighed as he looked down at the mess of a man, bandages soaked through with blood. I should just take my hundred dollars and be done with it, he ruminated. How was he supposed to make the bastard talk when he’d already received the rough housing?

His attention jumped to Ana, rounding on her as soon as she was down from her horse. “There lies your handiwork,” he complained at her, gesturing at the man all sprawled out and dazed. “You sure know how to do a number on a man. Get us a fire started, will you? I need some light to see by.”

He didn’t leave much room for arguing, and even as she saw to the task Killian was careful to keep an eye on her, making sure she didn’t get to near to Dagda or the guns stashed upon him. While she busied herself with that, Killian retrieved a small cook pot from his saddle, then made for the river’s edge. Kneeling down, he cupped his hands and scooped a handful of the cold water to splash his face. It carried a bitter, yet refreshing chill, calming his temper some. That done, he filled the pot next, before returning to Walleye and dumping the pail all over him. Rudely awakened, the outlaw came to, coughing and sputtering in his surprises confusion.

“Rise and shine, Princess,” He spat at the bandaged fellow, watching the reality of the situation come to light in his glossy eyes. “I’ve got a few questions for you.”

Ana didn’t rightly know why Killian was moaning so much. Walleye was alive, that’s what really mattered. Though she was also curious for news about the gang. More over so she could put an extra hole in Anderson’s face. She gave a light shrug of agreement, not like she had much choice but to follow what Killian wanted anyways; not while he had Vlad’s papers. Clearing her name too but that might come later. Despite the fit of rage she was just glad her plan had, sort of, worked out. Last thing she needed was a hanging for being a horse thief.

They were off once again, back into the darkness of the night. Where he planned to go she wasn’t sure. Bit late to make the trek all the way back to Valentine, especially during a new moon. Vlad took off, trailing just a little behind Dagda and to the right. If Walleye ended up tumbling off the last thing she needed was for Vlad to trample the man to death. No doubt Killian would blame her for that. So on they rode in silence with Killian and his less than lucid cargo. They made it back towards the river, likely quite near where the unlikely pair had encountered one another.

Ana slid off Vlad’s back as Killian dismounted. She took the reins of the horses to loop near a tree while Killian removed Walleye. The sudden thud of a body hitting the dirt made her snicker. Despite his griping and grousing clearly Killian wasn’t too interested in treating the man with kid gloves. Her eyebrows rose as Killian rounded on her to scold, once more, about Walleye’s condition. Ana rolled her green eyes even as he near ordered her to get a fire going. “He’s alive ain’t he?” She scoffed and shook her head but set about getting a fire going. Taking out a small, tin box of matches she gathered some fallen limbs from around them. Not much in the way of decent fire wood, it would be a small fire.

She listened to Killian splashing around in the river as she piles up small clumps of dry leaves and twigs. It didn’t take her long to get a pleasant little fire going. Not enough to cook much over but it spread a warm light around them, throwing everything into harsh shapes of light and dark. She stood near to the fire as Killian brought the filled pot up and tossed the chill water on Walleye, an amused smirk breaking across her lips.

The man growled and sputtered as he sat him, his vision dancing. He gave a low groan, gingerly touching the back of his skull. “Wha-wha happen?” His voice a low grumble accentuated by a pained hiss as he touched the bandaged wound. “Questions? Bout what?” His eyes lifted to the boy then over to Ana who crouched near the fire to light a cigarette. “Ana? The hell…?” His brows furrowed as he tried to remember anything. Just a tussling blur, searing pain in his skull, and darkness. “Tryin’ ta crawl back? See yeh’ve nabbed another feller. Taught ya good then,” he said with a dark, grinning laugh.

Ana damn near bit the cigarette in her mouth in half, the smoldering end flicking with the sudden clench of her jaw. She took a step forward but stopped herself, looking over at Killian. Her fists clenched but she forced herself to remain rooted to the spot. Walleye only laughed harder but stopped short with a throb in his skull.

“Too late though…gang’s moved,” he said as she reclined back on his elbows. “Most of em anyways,” he added with a twisted grin.

Killian watched Walleye come to, finding himself filled with impatience, though you wouldn’t know it from his calm demeanor. The hiss of pain was a little satisfying, even if he chastised Ana for inflicting it. It would have been much more preferable had she gone for the legs, or any other body part that didn’t shelter that pathetic little fish brain of his. Interrogations were frustrating enough without a groggy, beaten-stupid bounty to question. Fortunately, old Walleye seemed at least mostly down to Earth. He responded well enough, even if he was slow to rouse.

“‘Bout the company you keep,” Killian answered, looking down upon the glossy-eyed outlaw. The man found a distraction before this could go any further, and Killian followed those glossy eyes right to where they landed on Ana. She looked particularly menacing in that moment, and Killian wasn’t sure if it was just shadows cast by the flames which darkened her face like that, or the sound of Walleye’s taunting voice once he recognized her. Killian’s eyes fled the woman, hardening on Walleye as he guffawed and claimed he’d ‘taught her good’... Maybe he had. There she sat; a bounty free of chains. At least any ones you could see. He still had his leverage, but he’d be lying if he said anyone else had ever managed to talk themselves out of being strewn across his saddle and dragged to the sheriff and his rope.

Furious, blue, eyes snapped back to Ana as she stood, a rage evidently building up inside of her. This time she seemed capable of controlling it, if for no other reason than the serious gaze Killian met her with. She’d had more than enough fun with him already. Any more and she might just kill him; those clenched fists of hers certainly looked ready to do the job. Once he was certain she wouldn’t spring forward, he finally turned his back on her, granting Walleye his attention once more. Killian never took his eyes off of the man, squatting down to his level as the headache drowned his bounty’s laughter. His expression was just as unfaltering; a placid and unreadable reply to the twisted grin at the end of his confession.

“Moved where?” He demanded, deciding to go along with this story for now. Even if it was most likely a fiction. “Who did they leave behind?”

But it seemed Walleye would not be so forthcoming. The greasy outlaw pretended not to hear him, seeming far more concerned with the wound to his head, which he probed at with tentative fingers, bitching and moaning all the while. Killian watched him for a moment, then leased a sigh. Quick as a flash, he struck, a fist lashing out to connect with Walleye’s stomach, knocking the breath from the outlaw and sending him right back to the ground.

“That little bump on your head ain’t nothing to worry about,” Killian assured him, pushing aside his coat to reach into his pocket, from which he retrieved a small folding knife. “So if you’re gonna spend all night crying, how about we give you something worth the tears?”

Once the man was done sputtering, Killian opened the blade, allowing him to get a good look at its worn out, dull edge, as it caught the fire light.

“See this here?” Killian asked, continuing to brandish the weapon. “My uncle gave me this old penknife back when I was still a boy. He had a small cattle ranch out a ways west, and we’d visit at least once a year. I’d help out while I was there, and every now and then I’d have to help him castrate the young bulls. And that’s why he gave me this knife. I tell you, tough work wrestling one of them calves down long enough to get a clean cut, but I got pretty good at it. ‘Course, it’s been years since I’ve had any practice, my hand ain’t nearly as steady as it was and this penknife not half as sharp. But I’m feeling nostalgic anyway, so why don’t we give it a try? Give you one nut to go with that one eye and lost tongue of yours?”

Killian allowed a sly grin to claim his lips. “Better yet, Ana why don’t you be a doll and do the honors?” He lifted the knife towards her, offering the handle. “Don’t worry, it’s easy. I’ll show you how it’s done. A little different than cuttin’ bulls, but similar enough I’d say.” It was a dangerous bluff, handing the knife off to her, rusted and dull as it was, but after running in a gang with her maybe Walleye would see Ana as fierce enough to do it. She’d certainly done a number on his head. Regardless, Killian figured the battered outlaw would be finding his words soon enough.

Last edited:
Walleye wasn't paying a lick of attention to Killian's question, far too busy probing the tender and wet spot on his head. Ana struggled to maintain her composure, not even puffing on her cigarette. The embers just smoldered at the tip, the thin smoke trail obscuring Walleye just the tiniest bit. Killian, despite his apparent cool exterior, didn't appreciate being ignored. Her dark brows rose as the bounty hunter stepped forward and delivered a stinging blow to the outlaw's gut. She grinned, her tight toothed grip of the cigarette loosened, as the man crumpled down, gasping and wheezing to get his breath back. Maybe that Killian was harder than she gave him credit for, something to watch her back on of course.

She stayed put, finally taking a puff of precious tobacco, as whipped out the simple little pen knife. One hand tucked into her empty gun belt as Killian told his story. The moment he mentioned young bulls she couldn't help but chuckle, knowing exactly where the story was going. Very cruel, especially coming from another man. One thing she'd learned about men was their precious family jewels and their desperate attachment of them. The slowly paling face of Walleye was worth standing by and letting Killian do the work of loosening the man's tongue.

Her green eyes went wide as Killian turned with the devilish grin, lord have mercy that grin, to her and offered her the honors. The surprise slid into a mirrored grin of her own. Ana took her time for another drag of the cigarette before dropping the rest in the fire. "Why Killian, such a gentleman," she said as she slowly exhaled the smoke, letting it coil and billow like some demon from hell. She stepped forward and took the knife, letting her fingers brush Killian's hand as the wrapped around the offered handle. "As Walleye here know I do love learning," she said in a strange tone of sweet simper and venomous hiss.

"Woah....woah there now....no call for that, no call," Walleye stammered, holding his hands up defensively. "I'd rather get a dangle and strangle than mutilated. Law was moving in, boys took off to hide away a bit, different corners and all," he said and let his gaze settle on Ana. "Sure glad ya left when ya did girlie. Hate ta see ya end up like the rest of em," he said in a combined tone of sincerity and amusement. "Always my favorite ya were."

Ana's brows pulled together in a puzzled frown. "What on God's good green earth are ya talkin' 'bout?"

Walleye gave a half hearted chuckle, "not a man fer leavin' a trail that Mack. Go t'the camp, yeh'll see. All of em's gone, ever'one."

"What do you mean end up like the rest of em," Ana demanded, her grip on the knife white knuckled and shaking.

"The women folk 'course. Shit, thought you was cleverer n' that. Mack don't leave no trails if yer catchin' my drift," he said.

Ana felt a dark, hollow, sickly pit rise in her stomach. Her ears rang with the blood coursing through them. She raised the knife suddenly as if to lunge and and drive it home. Killian's intervention or not she stopped and released the knife, sucking in sharp breathes to cool the furious heat threatening to boil over again. With one long, drawn out inhale and exhale she straightened her back and brushed the front of her vest like one might brush off their petticoat. Head high, chin up, shoulder back, she looked over at Killian. The fury still lurked in those green eyes even if her face could have been chiseled from stone. "Mister Killian, I need a moment. Do what you will with this scum," she said with all the politeness of good, southern breeding could provide. With that she walked out of the ring of fire light and to the edge of the water. There she lit up another cigarette, the soft glow of the end the only indicator of where she stood in the darkness.

All the patience that was lost on Walleye was gifted to Ana as she stood by, taking a slow drag of her cigarette as though savoring the invitation. “I know nothing if not chivalry, Miss Ana,” he played along, handing over the knife without hesitation once she approached. That devilish grin remained, turning on Walleye as he looked down at the outlaw, who was already sweating bullets. How could a man not, with his tender bits on the line?

“I do love an eager student. Now, don’t be discouraged if it takes a few cuts to get it right,” he goaded her on, taking a step back to give her room to work. Wallaeye’s quick surrender put things on pause, but Killian’s smile vanished, a look of skepticism crossing his face as he spoke. Once the conversation began to turn a particular direction, however, Killian’s eyes settled on Ana and the knife she held instead. The girl was visibly struck by what Walleye was suggesting, and once the implications became clear, Killian could scarcely blame her for the clearly building fury. Even he felt his stomach turn at the way this man spoke of the women, showing no remorse for them.

For a moment, Killian thought that if Ana chose to strike Walleye down then and there, he would not stop her. The outlaw was clearly deserving, and who better than his own victim to deliver such justice? A prospective bounty or not, he could not help but sympathize with her; hell, maybe even feel guilty over the way he was stringing her along like this. If nothing else he was beginning to form an understanding of the woman. But at the end of the day he had to remember she was still planning to rob him; he’d only managed to pull his gun first. And even if he put all that aside, letting her drive that dagger into Walleye’s black heart was one expensive courtesy.

For that reason, Killian stepped forward once she lifted the knife, planning to intervene only for Ana to stop of her own accord. His hand lowered, making no motion to reach for the knife as the lingered on the edge of indecision, though he was ready to jump into action should she make the wrong one. Only once she took a few steadying breaths and noticeably relax did Killian finally reach out and retrieve the penknife from her trembling hand. He swallowed dryly at her reaction, before nodding in agreement as she excused herself.

“As you please, ma’am,” He said, eyes watching her go before switching back to a sniggering Walleye.

Now, the bounty hunter grappled with his own decision as he considered what to do with the outlaw Wracking his brain, he tapped the flat of the blade against his palm, finding a steady rhythm that suited his thoughts. “I guess castration is something we’ll have to build up to,” he taunted his prisoner, looking between the helpless man and Ana where she stood, the soft orange glow of her cigarette like a beacon in the dark. “Let’s start with something else…”

“I already told ya--” Walleye began to say, raising his hands defensively again, but Killian ignored him and snatched his right hand out of the air and brought it down, pinning it to the ground by his wrist, and forcing Walleye into an awkward, uncomfortable position in the process. “What’re--” He sputtered, but was again interrupted by Killian, who lifted his blade much like Ana before him. Only unlike her, he had no qualms about driving it forward and sticking it directly into the back of Walleye’s hand. It pushed straight through, pinning him to the dirt.

“I asked you where the others went!” Killian roared, his furious voice like a thunderstorm compared to Walleye’s cries of pain. He could care less for the whimpers, especially given the vile things he’d just suggested of Ana and the other women who’d fallen in with their gang. “’Different corners ain’t an answer! You wanna be a little more specific?’”

Weak men, all of them… He thought of the outlaws, even as he unleashed his fury upon the one in his clutches. To think of what they did… It wasn’t the worst he’d seen; far from it in fact. So why did it bother him so much? Was it because he was starting to see this other side of Ana; the one that was so clearly a victim?

“My fault, I suppose.” Killian said apologetically to Walleye. Whether he was forthcoming with the information or not, the bounty hunter released the penknife and rose from his kneeling position, looming over the outlaw once more. “I forgot you don’t have much to work with between those ears. So let’s pick an easier question.”

He lifted his boot, carefully setting it atop the penknife, still rooted into Walleye’s hand, and steadily began increasing his weight upon it, until the man was practically squealing with agony. “What about Mack?” Killian wanted to know, “He got any jobs planned? One of his boys 'sposed to come 'round the station if you don’t show your ugly mug? Take your time choosing your words, now, and make sure they're right right ones. I’ve got all night to talk. Can’t say the same for you if I don’t like what comes out of your mouth…”

Last edited:
Ana was distant, staring across the dark water. Stars twinkled and danced in the sky above. The harsh smoke burned her lungs through the long drags of the cigarette. Her throat constricted, eyes squinted in the dark outside the ring of light. She knew exactly what Walleye alluded to. Mack was not a kind or forgiving man, he held no store in sympathy. All were expendable, disposable to such a man. Ana's guts burned and churned. She felt like throwing up, like crying, like screaming into the heavens. At the same time she felt...lucky. If she hadn't left, if she hadn't happened on Killian...Harsh man he might appear but it didn't seem to fully harden his heart like so many others. Lord she needed to think of anything else.

Distantly she heard the shriek of pain from Walleye. It wafted over her like a breeze. Whatever Killian was doing he deserved ten fold. It was the roaring thunder of Killian's voice that snapped her back. Ana looked over her shoulder, not fully able to make out what Killian was doing to the outlaw. Smoke curled out of her nostrils before she released a breath. Her dark brows quirked at this sudden bear of a man. She turned to watch from the distance as Killian demanded more answers, his voice powerful and strong. Lord have mercy. Her green eyes stayed on the bounty hunter as he rose up and she could see what he had done, the knife pinning Walleye to the earth.

Her cigarette burned down with a final drag and she tossed the end into the river, casting herself in total darkness. Walleye still squealed in pain, the sound only growing more desperate as Killian stepped down on the penknife. Ana perked up at Killian's continued round of questioning. If she knew anything she knew Mack's habits, most of them anyways. With a little huff, calmed somewhat, she stepped back towards the light.

"I dunno where he's gone!" Walleye was a screaming, blubbering mess. "Keeps it secret! Hal was comin' ta grab me, head off ta New Austin! S'all I know, swear by m' Ma's grave!"

Ana's footsteps were nearly silent. She laid a small, gentle hand on the small of Killian's back. Oh she wanted to enjoy Walleye's squealing but it changed nothing, took back nothing. Most important of all: she needed her name cleared. "Mister Killian," she said with all the grace and gentility she could muster, "he won't know nothin' else. Boys all have their own hide away 'cross the country. Thing is...men ain't always quiet when..." she hesitated and pursed her lips before heaved a sigh and clearing her throat. "Well men just ain't always quiet to women. I know where they they've gone, most of 'em anyways...and only a rough idea. Law commin' down Mack and the boys woulda high tailed it, no jobs, no scores. Took what they had, left what they...didn't need..."

"Yeah, yeah see? Girlie knows...take the knife out, I'm beggin' ya." Walleye reached up, grasping at Ana's leg. She turned and kicked out, putting the hard heel of her boot right between his eyes. Walleye reeled back with a groan, knocked clean out again. Ana knelt down and yanked the knife out of his hand. She wiped the blood off on her pants and handed it, handle first, to Killian.

"I need t'see...fer m'self...the camp. Lord willin' the law in Valentine don't throw me in jail but....after I need ta go. If he's right..." Ana faltered, looking away from Killian and folded her arms across her chest. "They need a proper goodbye. After I can go with ya...find Mack, find his men, bring them ta justice. Hopefully be enough t'clear my name. If yer keen of course. Vicious enough you are," she said, finally looking back at him with an amused grin. "Might just turn me in for an extra ten."

Back
Top Bottom