Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Nuclear Winter (Crunch x Blissy)

Blissy

Planetoid
c5b69dfd067e93730e9ee3608b2b6834.jpg

They called them Wolves. The name sounded intimidating, yet they were just a ragtag group of Vault 141 survivors who were just trying to get by and survive in the post apocalyptic ruins of Toronto. They had built their base at the top of a skyscraper in downtown, since it was the safest spot they could think of. It was easy to defend against the zombies and the bandits, besides it was the only tall building that managed to survive the bombs. When the Vault 141's supplies ran out, they figured that place was a safe bet and so they moved there. Not every member of the Vault survived the nuclear winter, though. Only few of them remained, Sarah included.

Sarah was the daughter of the Leader. She just turned 18, but had no way to actually know since nobody was keeping track of time anymore. She was young, fair hair, blue eyes and a defiant smile on her face 24/7. She had an innate level of stubbornness that was much closer to recklessness rather than courage. And nobody ever dared to cross paths with her. Sarah was vital for the group because of her medical training: in fact, her mother who died earlier in the apocalypse, taught her everything she knew about medicine. One night Sarah was restless and got up from her bed. Her room was located at the top floor of the skyscraper: she had a great view of the city from there and was constantly wandering what was going on down on the streets. She violated the curfew and exited her room. Sneaking past the patrol was super easy for her. She was giggling as she made her way to the service stairs. It was a long walk down from there but she had all night. Besides, it wasn't the first time she went on an adventure by herself. She thought she knew what she was doing.

1029678.jpg

Sarah steadily made her down the floors, by the stairs. Like she had expected, it was a long walk. What she had likely not expected, was the person her who met her face to face as she moved around a downwards bend to continue down the stairs. Sarah stood face to face with another woman, who seemed to have entered the stairwell from another floor, one of several that had been long abandoned since the war and had been deemed by the Vault dwellers too dangerous to explore- where they instead opted to live on the higher floors.

The woman in front of her held a shocked expression for just a moment, before a grin took over her face. "Hey there, sweetheart." The woman gave Sarah a once over, most likely looking down at her due to her impressive height, over 6' feet tall. The stranger wore a long leather winter coat, which fell in length down to about her knees, with a thick scarf protecting her neck, and a hoodie under the jacket, it's hood laid back and covered in melting snow. Judging by appearance, she seemed to have been travelling for a while, snow melting on her clothes, and dirt smudged onto her cheeks.

After a moment of tense silence, she spoke again. "Not going to hurt you. I didn't expect to find anyone here. Don't even have a weapon." It was hard to tell if she was telling the truth, considering her heavy clothing that could be used to hide dozens of weapons. "Are you alone?" She questioned further, her gloved hands raising slightly to show peaceful intentions.

Sarah gasped and took a step backwards. She wasn't expecting to find someone else wandering around the staircase at that time, let alone a woman who looked like she had been surviving for quite some time out in the wasteland. The size difference was very noticeable since Sarah was 5' feet tall and barely over 110 pounds.

"Don't move!" Sarah said in a tone that was as intimidating as possible while also being impossible to hear by her people. If they found out she was violating the curfew, the punishment would have been brutal. She quickly reached for her sub machine gun which was strapped to her waist but she didn't take it out right away.

"I don't know who you are nor what your intentions are. You have ten seconds to explain yourself. After that I will call the guards and if they don't put a hole in your head, I'll do it myself!"

The woman's expression showed shock for another moment, her brows lifting up in amused excitement. "Oh, wow. Not the reaction I was expecting, to be honest." Her hand lowered to her mouth, and she coughed into a fist for a moment. The stranger looked over her shoulder, at the door she had just came in from. Sarah could see, if her vision followed, shadows moving behind the glass viewing window in the middle of the metal door. When her head turned back, the much larger woman suddenly lurched at her, using their dramatic weight difference to send Sarah crashing onto the stairs back first, forcing the wind from her lungs.

Her hand clamped over Sarah's mouth, while her other hand gripped at her wrist with such an intensity one might think the bone might snap, in an effort to force her to release the sub machine gun. "No, baby." The woman breathed out, looking back over her shoulder as the door she had came in opened again. "I think I'll let my intentions explain themselves." Through the door came several men and women, all dressed in winter gear, snow melting off of them. They were dirty, scrap metal strapped to their bodies, worn assault rifles in their hands.

Raiders. "Go on ahead, I'll be right with you." She ordered to them as they passed her, receiving only small nods in return. The raider leader- the woman, it seemed, pulled her body back, keeping her hands where they were placed. She let out an amused laugh, smiling at the vault dweller.

"Wow. Look at you. So brave, really." The raider woman nodded to her, her dark eyes lit up with the laughter, too busy laughing at the predicament that she had forgotten to secure Sarah's left arm.

Sarah was completely overwhelmed by her brutal strength and collapsed underneath her weight. She tried to struggle her way out that predicament at first, but to avail. She then tried to scream as loud as she could but the sound was muffled by the raider's hand, still firmly pressed against her mouth. She looked on powerless as the rest of the bandits kept on pushing their assault and were now moving up the staircase.

While the two were struggling, Sarah inadvertently pulled the trigger and the machine gun let go a three round burst. The shots completely missed the target, as the gun was pointed towards the wall to their side. Yet, the gunshots echoed throughout the building possibly waking up the rest of her group. That wasn't intentional though. Her intentions were different and dictated by panic.

As the raider was distracted by the shots, Sarah slipped her free hand down to her boots and pulled out a combat knife. She always had a knife hidden down there, as her father taught her years before. She figured pulling out a knife and stabbing someone would have been a lot easier, yet the weight difference made all of that a lot harder. She finally got a grip of the weapon just as the woman noticed her intentions.

The burly woman's hand pulled away from her mouth as she noticed the danger, instead opting to cup and smack full force across Sarah's head, around her ear. The blow was like lightning and the resulting crack was like thunder. She quickly scooted forward, excitement in her eyes from the dangers of battle. She sat on Sarah's chest, her knees digging painfully, with all of her weight, into the younger woman's wrists, to both prevent her from grabbing any weapons further, and to force her to release what she had.

"Now you've gone and ruined it." The woman hissed, reaching into her winter coat and extracting a snub nosed revolver. Very quickly was then freezing metal placed to the lips of the young adult, barrel pointed right into her mouth.

"I don't want to kill you, baby, you're so young, and full of fight." She soothed, a hand coming to stroke her hair. "And we don't want to kill your friends, but you've alerted them, so there is sure to be a fight. But if you come with me up there, I think we can prevent a massacre. Alright?" The woman continued to sooth, placing a kiss to Sarah's forehead in the most patronizing way possible. Her arm reached back to discard the submachine gun and the combat knife, and send them falling down the stairs.

"Now we're going to stand, and I'll keep this gun at your head, and we'll see if we can beat my boys before they start skinning your friends."

The blow was so hard Sarah almost fainted, but somehow she kept her composure and most importantly her awareness. She tried to struggle her way out but the woman's weight was simply too much for her to overcome. At that point, she wasn't even thinking straight anymore, it was just pure survival instinct.

Her eyes were wide open at the sight of the snub revolver being pointed to her head. She felt her end was near and almost let out a scream. She suppressed it the moment the cold revolver got pressed against her lips. She then listened carefully to her words. Not like she had much of choice, yet she was strangely relieved by the fact that the bandit was still talking to her when she could have just shot her point blank.

She then picked her up and forced her up the staircase. "Wha... what do you want from us?" Sarah said, stumbling on the stairs "I'm sure we can work this out. Don't hurt my people!"

"Oh, someone's gonna' get hurt. Real bad." The woman laughed. "We want the building. Nice view, I'd bet." She maintained the aim of her revolver as she leaned down to grab the sub machine gun, tucking it into her coat for later, before they continued walking.

"But if your people are as aggressive as you are, spitfire, then I'd imagine they'll shoot, no questions asked, when they see my boys. That'd be bad for both of us, so let's try to hurry and negotiate before any of your people get killed." The raider said, a bit of a chuckle in her voice.

"How many, hm? Children, elderly? Got a leader up there? Maybe anyone of any sort of importance or skill? Might be able to keep them."

"Please!" Sarah was visibly worried when she learned the bandit's intentions. They couldn't afford to lose their base, especially in the midst of that brutal Nuclear Winter. Being forced to leave the building was even worse than getting shot in the head right away by those scums.

"They won't fire if they see me!" Sarah was walking as fast as she could "Please. Let me do the talking. We can still work everything out. They are skilled fighters, but we can avoid all this bloodshed if we just keep cool for once!"

She froze when the woman mentioned people of importance. She instantly thought of her father, John. He was the leader of the group of Survivors and was definitely going to fight back if he saw them arriving all guns blazing. "We have children, elderly and women. But you can't just take them. They won't let you. Are you just as dumb as you look, huh? What makes you think that you can just walk in here and take them as prisoners!"

The woman let out a laugh at her taunts. "How many people, vault dweller? All this taunting and you may yet just convince me to gun them all down. How's that sound, baby?" The raider cooed, pressing the barrel of the gun into her back. "I could keep you for myself, see what it takes to make a blue bird sing." The woman let out a cackle, walking swiftly behind Sarah.

Up above they could hear the other raiders moving quickly ahead. It wasn't likely that the two would get there before a fight would start, but if they were quick, they could probably manage to get to the scene before anyone got injured.

Sarah shivered at the thought of being taken prisoner by that woman. No. She had to remain calm if she wanted her group to survive, it was the only way. "I'd rather die than become your slave, you monster" she whispered "Don't think for a second I am doing this out of fear! I'm just trying to avoid a massacre. Now please. Let's hurry before things get violent!"

"Either you tell those filthy scumbags of your men to stop and wait for us or you put this gun away and let me walk faster... Otherwise we will never make it in time!"

"All this name calling really convinces me." The raider mocked, and yet, she still lowered her gun and shoved Sarah forward. "Let's see if you can beat the clock, sweet cheeks." The woman followed her closely, but at least she was no longer aiming a loaded gun at her spine- or her head. That tone of amusement still laced her words, as if this whole thing was a game.

Sarah rushed her way up the staircase, followed closely by the woman who was still keeping the gun pointed at her. There was no time to waste. The two quickly reached the top floor just in time to catch up with the rest of her group. As expected, they were stuck in the hallway pinned down and they couldn't figure out a way to get the elevator shaft to open. It was the only way to reach the top floor. The elevator obviously wasn't working, but hidden behind the reinforced walls was a ladder which led to the top floor where the rest of the group was hiding.

"They must've shut down the doors when they heard the shots" Sarah muttered to herself, as the men quickly turned and pointed their rifles at her. She didn't even bother to put her arms up as the bandit leader was right behind her and as soon as the men saw her, they lowered the guns right away.

"So. How are we going to do this?" She asked the woman.

The woman took a few looks over the situation, and then nodded her head. "How many are there? Is there another way up?" She asked, looking down to Sarah.

"It's the only way up, you dumb ass." she spat "And no, I am not going to tell you how many people are there. Oh, and before you ask..."

"Sarah! Is that you?!"

A voice could be heard from inside the elevator shaft.

"DAD!" Sarah just couldn't resist when she heard her father's voice, as she rushed towards the elevator. The doors were still closed though. "It's me! I'm fine. These.. these scums assaulted me but I'm alright! They want something from us! I... Tell Mike to get the kids to safety!"

"Just want to talk!" The woman yelled, before she rolled her shoulders in a shrug. "But.. if you want to be so stubborn..." She let out a disappointed sigh, tugging a lead pipe off the belt of one of the raiders. Suddenly, she swung it forward, slamming the pipe into Sarah's ribs as she was turned away.

"Dad, you've got to teach your kids some manners, geez. You should hear the things she's said to me. But you know, my father raised me right. You know what he did when I acted up? Well.." She reared her arm back, going to slam the pipe into Sarah's torso again. "I'm sure you can hear!"

Sarah collapsed in pain to the ground as a sick thud echoed thoroughout the hallway. She was now breathing heavily, still on her knees. Meanwhile, movements could be heard from inside the elevator shaft: someone was making his way down the ladder.

"No!" Sarah screamed as she heard the elevator doors slowly opening "NO! Don't open the doors!" But it was to late. Her dad was now there, face to face with the group of bandits. Behind him a couple of soldiers with their rifles pointed at the woman who was still holding the lead pipe. "Let my daughter go" the old man said, as Sarah was still gasping for air at her feet.

The raider leaned down, yanking Sarah up in front of her, the lead pipe dropping uselessly to the ground. The men and women that made up the raiders, 7 strong, all aimed their weaponry in return, barrels pointed at those clustered in the elevator as they took several steps back to make room for a fire fight. The raider leader, the tall woman, let her short revolver settle at the base of Sarah's back.

"You know, I can't really blame you for being so shocked." The woman said, nodding her head, her brows raised in mock-sympathy. "Who could have known their own daughter could have gotten them in this situation?" She paused, waiting for a reaction across their faces before she continued. "Oh yeah, that's right. Someone made a deal with my little group here that if she brought supplies down every other night, we would trade her a little bit of jet." The woman bluffed, a grin spread across her face as she nodded repeatedly.

"That's right! Sarah, poor beautiful Sarah decided to short us. She invited these consequences onto you. It's why she's always sneaking around, but you'd never suspect her, would you? Right.. Overseer?" The woman guessed, after taking a gander at the man.

"This is... this is not true! They are lying!" Sarah said "I'm a NURSE, not an addict! They... they are just trying to mess with you head, but it's not going to work. Ah!" Sarah fell down to her knees once again because of the pain she was still feeling.

Meanwhile her father's men took their safeties off and were now aiming straight at the raiders. "I don't believe a word you say" the Leader said "You come here, threaten me and my daughter and expect me to believe you when you say she is a jet addict? Please. They way I see it, you will all end up killed if you don't back the fuck off right now"

"Let my daughter go" her father said " This is your final warning, raider"

"Fine then. We'll leave." The woman nodded her head, raising her hands to the air, letting the revolver drop to the floor. As it hit the ground, her foot stepped over it, preventing Sarah from picking it up, if she dared try. Her hands fell to her side, resting in her coat pockets."Just one thing, before we go.." The lady said, leaning forward as if to whisper to the man, despite the distance between them. "The name is Riker."

And suddenly, there was gunfire. The sub machine gun- Sarah's sub machine gun, that had rested in her winter jacket, was firing off it's rounds at Sarah's father and the guards behind him. The woman- Riker, had taken aim and fired subtly through the large pockets of her oversized jacket. A coward's move, though it wasn't likely she'd see it that way. As if planned, the raiders fired with her, making it clear this wasn't the first person she'd done this to. A coward, for sure, and a snake.

Riker bent down, pulling Sarah up by her hair again quickly as she stepped backwards, using the teen as a shield in case of return fire- though she hoped to catch the guards off guard and knock them off before they could understand what had happened.

"NO!"Sarah screamed as the woman gunned down her father. The man was unarmed and couldn't defend himself either. He got shot multiple times in the chest and then fall down to the ground, just like two of the men who were standing right next to him. Sarah instinctively tried to run towards him but was held back by Riker who quickly grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back into her arms.

There was only one man left standing. He was clearly panicking as he was outnumbered and outgunned, frenetically pointing his handgun to Riker and to her soldiers. He muttered something but it was impossible to hear. Sarah was still struggling, trying to escape her grasp but to no avail. "Put the gun down Jonah!" she said to the only remaining one of their men. The man instantly calmed down when he heard her voice: he dropped the weapon and raised his hands as if he was surrendering.

"Don't kill him!" Sarah said, with tears in her eyes "You got what you wanted!!"

"Maybe you'll start answering my questions now, baby." Riker cooed in her ear sadistically. "Killed your father with your own gun. In fact, he's probably not even dead yet- just choking to death on his own blood, in shock. The more you know, right?" The raider mumbled, whispering to Sarah's ear as she kept her aim trained on the surviving man, Jonah.

"Is there anyone upstairs, or did I just slaughter your entire measly group?" She asked, voice straightening out to become serious, threatening. Intense, even.

Sarah lunged forward, in an attempt to escape her grasps and tend to her wounded father, but Riker's strength was simply too much for her to overcome. "Let me go!" She screamed.

Meanwhile who was already unarmed and surrendering, stumbled backwards, unsure as to what he could say to make it out of that situation alive. "Yes... there are other people upstairs" he said " Take everything you want but please, spare our lives"

Sarah would then try to stomp Riker's foot and escape. She wasn't going to fight back though. In fact, is successful, she would simply then get to her father and check his condition.

Riker nodded, biting her lip in thought. Her brows furrowed and she let out a grunt as Sarah stomped on her foot, the larger woman releasing the teen and letting her run into the elevator. She didn't chase after her, instead leaning down to grab her revolver from the ground, holding it firmly in her grip, as if testing it's weight fresh again. "Jonah. Cute name." The woman stepped past Sarah, grasping Jonah by the neck and shoving him out the elevator. "Essik, take him back to the metro." She said, a younger red-headed bearded male stepping forward to escort Jonah away at gunpoint, wordlessly.

She then turned, looking back at Sarah on the ground, clutching at her father. Riker leaned down by her side, hovering over her as she checked the man's condition. "My father died when I was younger too. That's where leading gets you, an early grave." She raised the revolver, firing a bullet between the Overseer's eyes. "Still waiting for my turn." Riker said calmly, as if she hadn't just executed the possibly dying man in front of his daughter, eliciting a round of laughter from the raiders.

"Now.. I heard.. a ladder." The woman said, looking around inquisitively as the raiders moved forward to loot bodies, including Sarah's own father, a short stocky dark haired woman moving to drag Sarah herself up by her hair.

Sarah didn't even notice the bandit escorting the man away as she was fully focused on her father. He knew enough of medicine to tell that he was a goner, there was no way he could've survived those shots. And then the fatal bullet, right between his eyes. His blood was now covering her face, hair and jacket. Sarah stood there in shock as the men were looting the corpses.

She then stood up and walked towards the elevator shaft, watched closely by the woman. She showed her the way up. "This is the... the ladder" She said. Her face was still covered in blood "It's up this way..."

Back
Top Bottom