Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Build this with me

Drewwils

Moon
I lie awake waiting to hear him get into his car and leave for work.

It’s early and still dark. I can just make out the streaks of rain running down the window pane and I can imagine how cold it is out there.

I hear the slam of the car door and the engine burst into life as he turns the key in the ignition. It must be no than a matter of seconds in between, but it seems like an hour. I want him gone. Want him out of our lives for a few hours at least.

I heard them fighting again last night. I know she will have cried because he will have done what he always does when he is drunk. He will have hit her. He will have beat her. I hate him for that.

She needs to be loved. She needs to be reassured. She needs to be held.

I listen as his car crunches over the gravel driveway and slowly disappears into the dark morning. I turn on my side and close my eyes but have no intention of going back to sleep. Instead, I wait for her.

It doesn’t take long. The door creaks gently as she comes into my room. I feel her warmth and soft skin as she slips into the bed and slides her arms my waist from behind. I turn to her and take her into my arms. I intend just to keep her safe in my embrace but it is her mouth that finds mine. My mother’s kiss.

Back
Top Bottom