Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Flames of Winter (randomname98766789 and Gemini_Rising

Deep in the Wolfswood, a reconstructed Deepwood Motte housed the last remaining man of House Glover. The loyal vassals of House Stark nearly became extinct during King Robert Baratheon’s Rebellion. Jaron Glover’s father, uncles, and cousins fought valiantly, but could not escape with their lives. Although House Glover was rarely considered an important House, it was a House of The North. Deepwood Motte was not only attacked, but it was destroyed. The men unable to fight, the women, and the children were all slaughtered, leaving literally no Glover left to claim the broken stronghold… none except for one small child that was found by Lord Eddard Stark.

The baby was hidden away, miraculously placed in the one spot where the castle held on by a thread. It would have been criminal to leave him, so Ned Stark returned him to Winterfell. There was a nice couple that lived in the castle, though they could never have children. They were a perfect match. Jaron was raised, being educated of his heritage, also being raised like a noble with proper education, training, and preparing for the future. Thankfully Lord Stark even took initiative to send men out to rebuild the stronghold. The idea was simple: have it ready by the time Jaron became of age.

All things considered, Jaron grew up happily. It did hurt him, the more he got older and the more he understood the world, to not have his real father or family around. However, everyone was always so kind to him. The married couple he grew up with treated him like he was their own – giving him love, respect, and care. It also allowed Jaron to grow particularly close with the Stark kids, specifically training with Jon and Robb.

Beyond their friendship, Jaron developed something with Sansa Stark, too. They saw each other daily, multiple times a day. It was clearly a blooming crush growing between the two teenagers. Even today, years into the future, Jaron would think about her smile or think about her laugh when he was going through a difficult time. She was his best friend, as he told her multiple times throughout their lives. All good things must end, though. Around the time it was decided for Jaron to return to House Glover, Sansa was whisked away to marry the Prince. He did share a heartfelt goodbye with her, believing it was the last time they would ever see each other.

It never meant Jaron stopped thinking about her, though. Their memories were too fond: sneaking to her room to stay up late, talking about random things, passing notes underneath the table during dinner time, greeting her each time they passed each other in the hallway. Of course, they were probably too young to understand the concept of love or what it meant, but looking back, Jaron was certain it would have turned to love fairly easily if given a chance.

As a relatively new Lord, the small forces of House Glover were called upon to march with Robb Stark. Surprisingly, Jaron showed better-than-average skill and prowess on the battlefield. He did seem like the type that enjoyed settling issues with his sword instead of his words. Despite that, nobody could be prepared for the Red Wedding. Jaron lost count of how many Freys he took out with him, but a sword being plunged into his back nearly brought the end of his life and the end of House Glover. Persevering, the young man fought hard and managed to escape through the woods after playing dead for hours until the Freys were too drunk to even pay attention to the carnage.

Thankfully, when the Boltons came to power, Deepwood Motte was just a building in the woods. It was not something they cared much about until they learned that Jaron Glover had returned. By then, Jon Snow and the Knights of the Vale had recaptured the North.

So, why was he thinking so much about Sansa Stark right now? Quite simply – news reached his stronghold that Jon Snow and Sansa Stark were asking to be received. It was not well-known that a Glover now controlled the Deepwood again, as it seemed Jon was unsure who to address in his letter. When the Stark bannermen arrived, they were received and Jaron revealed himself. Without any hesitation, Jaron committed House Glover to House Stark again, following Jon wherever he would lead. It took two weeks to trek in the snow from Deepwood to Winterfell, but during that time, Jaron spent nearly every waking second with Sansa Stark. The feelings they had when they were younger, the kisses they stole, the late nights they spoke to one another – neither had forgotten. If anything, the feelings were stronger. It was the first night in Winterfell and Jaron was lying down in his bed. He slept peacefully until there was a knock in his door. The man pushed himself up to a standing position and quickly walked over to open the door once dressed in his night robe.

Sansa Stark had such a troubling life for one so young. Her life growing up was wonderful. Sansa Stark is the eldest daughter and second child of Lady Catelyn and Lord Eddard Stark, the Warden of the North. Sansa was born and raised at Winterfell. She has an older brother, Robb, two younger brothers, Bran and Rickon, a younger sister, Arya, and a "bastard half-brother" Jon Snow, with whom she had a distant relationship due to her mother's influence. Both her mother and Sansa regretted how they treated Jon but both would grow to love him. Sadly, her mother was never able to have the chance because she and her brother were killed.

Even her engagement to Joffery Baratheon was incredibly tolling. The Lannisters executed her father and then held her captive until she was able to leave after Joffery was assassinated. Once back in the north she was still held captive by House Bolton. Where she was subjected to all types of terrible treatment. She saw how cruel men could be but she took everything in and learned how to fend for herself.

But she at least had the memories from her childhood to keep her company. Her family of course but Jaron Glover. Jaron was what had kept her alive. He was a ward of her father while they were children and she grew close to him. They would always run away together for a little while. Stealing kisses from each other any chance they could. That was until they were separated from each other. Once she was taken to Kings Landing to marry Joffery she had no more contact with Jaron. That didn't stop the red-headed beauty from thinking about him. What he was doing. Who he was with. Was he safe? Despite all of this she had to put him out of her mind as best she could. She doubted he was able to survive any of the hardships that hit the north and in particular his family.

Once she found her way to Jon again she was relived. She made it out and was slowly bringing her family name back to power. Nothing could make those last couple of weeks better right? Her older brother Jon told her the good news. Jaron was alive and well. They were on their way to see him in the morning. Sansa's heart pounded in her chest at the thought of seeing him after all of those years. Would he still be the same kind and gentle man she had once known? Would all of those years mean he would have moved on? Forgotten about her?

That is how Sansa found herself outside of Jaron's door. She knocked softly hoping the man was still up. When the door opened her heart swelled with happiness. "Jaron!" She whispered exciedtly as she moved closer to him and laid her head down on his chest. Feeling him that close to her was like having a part of her again that had been missing. She never wanted to let go.

Pulling the door to his quarters open, Lord Jaron Glover did not know whom to expect at this time of night. The first inclination was to believe that there was reason to worry. Why would anyone reach out to him at such an hour? It was not like he was being awakened from his slumber, though. Sleeping was difficult to do ever since the night of the fated Red Wedding. Most nights, Jaron relived it. Not only did he relive the inability to save his close friend, King Robb Stark, he relived what should have been his own death. To this day, Jaron had no idea how he survived that night.

There was a huge scar across the front of his chest representing where a sword had cut deep. Laying in a pool of his own blood, Jaron managed to crawl away into the forest until some other surviving Stark bannermen managed to help him escape. There was just one concept and one person that was keeping him going. That idea was love combined with Sansa Stark. Even without a legitimate reason to believe he would ever see Sansa again, Jaron just KNEW deep in his bones that the redhead and himself would reunite.

Turns out, he was right. In fact, that same woman in his dreams was standing right outside his door tonight. His eyes went wide upon seeing her, finding it strange that she would greet him wearing her night garb. Did it mean this was not a purely business visit? Did it mean something else? Jaron’s pulse began to race, his heartbeat growing even more. God, she looked so beautiful – even in such a simple night robe, her beauty was overwhelming to him. Jaron still did not believe that she could be a real person – she had to be an angel of some kind.

“Good evening, my Lady. Please, do come in. You are welcome here anytime.” What did she wish to tell him in the privacy of his own quarters? It must have been important. Holding the door open for Sansa, Jaron waited until she crossed the threshold and entered the room before closing the door back, locking it. Taking a deep breath, Jaron could only hope that nothing was wrong. He was often a pessimist, so it was natural for him to worry about everything.

Part of him wondered if he should move to get dressed. However, being in this state of undress around Sansa Stark simply felt natural. Honestly, the young man had no idea what she was scheming together. As far as he knew, there was no telling if she loved him or if the distance made her grow apart from him. All Jaron could say for certain was that his heart still beat faster when he thought about her and their love was strong. He wanted to be with Sansa in every way. Marrying her would have been a dream. Suddenly, he felt her wrap her arms around him, so Jaron did not even hesitate to do the same thing.

With open arms, Lord Jaron Glover welcomed Lady Sansa Stark into his arms. It made him feel peaceful, again. Even though his trials were not nearly as difficult to endure as his beloved’s last few years, Jaron had his fair share of trauma and bleakness. Being able to hold the redhead again kept him sane. For once, he was not fighting for his life. It felt like a dream. How was this even possible? All fears melted away.

“It is so good to hold you again.”

Sansa couldn't let go of the strong man as his strong arms wrapped around her small body. It felt right to be held by Jaron again. Sansa didn't ever want to let go of Jaron. She could die in his arms at that moment and the beauty would be able to find peace with that. She couldn't wait any longer and she realized that now. The pair had spent the last couple of years not being able to see each other and she couldn't deny feeling Jaron's body against her. Slowly the girl pulled away though knowing that they would need to part at some point.

"I've missed you so much Jaron...I can't even begin to tell you all of the terrible things that have happened." A single tear formed on Sansa's left eyes and trailed down her face as she thought back to what had happened to her. She felt stupid for getting this emotional. "I'm sorry I'm ruining this moment. It's just so good to see you after all of these years."

Without thinking, Sansa reached up and touched Jaron's face and felt his thick beard under her soft and delicate hands for a moment. "You look the same but you've changed so much since we've last seen each other." Sansa pulled Jaron by the hand and led him to the bed and sat down with him. "Tell me everything that's happened to you....Have you found a woman you hope to marry?" Sansa asked trying to gauge if he had a wife or love interest. She prayed he didn't but it had been years and she wouldn't have been surprised if women had been throwing themselves at him.

“I have missed you as well, Sansa. I missed you so much. I’ve heard some about the things that have happened to you. I am so sorry. I wish I could take all your pain away. I wish I could have been there for you to help you. I am so sorry about that, Sansa.” Jaron whispered, holding onto Sansa tight, not ever wanting to let her go, either. Jaron could barely believe this was real.

“Don’t be sorry. You’re not ruining anything. You could never ruin anything.” The left hand of Jaron slightly lifted Sansa’s face upwards while his right hand reached down to gently wipe her tear away. He made sure that every tear she had was wiped away by his touch before joining her to sit down onto the bed. His smile was still bright while looking at Sansa, reaching out to grab onto both of her hands, looking into her eyes while she spoke to him. Jaron held onto every word, just hearing the sound of her voice again making him smile.

“Not much good has happened. I’ve been battling to get back to my home, to you.” He added. She asked him about a woman he wanted to marry and he was wondering where she was going with this. He thought about how he was going to reply. If Jaron answered the way he wanted to answer, there would be a chance he could upset her if she didn’t feel the same way, but this was a risk he was willing to take. “There is a woman in my life I want to marry. That woman is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life and I am deeply in love with her… you are that woman, Sansa. I don’t care how long it has been. Being back with you for a couple weeks or so has proved to me that my feelings are still there for you.

Back
Top Bottom