Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

what are "face claims"?

Hi, let me help you with that.

They are images of what your character looks like. It could be a drawn, animated or live action photo.

Yeah. Every hobby and sometimes even forums have their own terminology.

It helps to suggest what you want and don't want for faceclaims. Some people have strong feelings about using real people or art you don't own.

Yeah. Every hobby and sometimes even forums have their own terminology.

It helps to suggest what you want and don't want for faceclaims. Some people have strong feelings about using real people or art you don't own.

Just ask your partner what they would like. Some prefer not to have face claims at all because it is better to imagine the opposing character the way you would like. Everyone has their own mental image of the girl next door for example. Quite often face claims posted don't represent the character being played which is a turn off for many as well as people using animate/anime type face claims especially for more darker or serious themes.

In the end it is just between yourselves and no one to my knowledge makes money by selling their RP's so I don't really see much of a copyright issue.

In the end it is just between yourselves and no one to my knowledge makes money by selling their RP's so I don't really see much of a copyright issue.

If this is the place to debate that..
it's about the ethics of the creator's wishes, not even necessarily about money or copyright. As an artist who posts online, I'm not thrilled with the idea of someone using my art to RP rape or something untoward. I haven't bothered to make an official statement because I don't think most people would care or even know where the art comes from. Art gets shared without credit so much, and with Twitter, tumblr, and Instagram, it can be almost impossible to even image search and find the artist, anyways. I've seen plenty of artists post specifically not to use their art for RP. I know other artists who RP who are like-minded. So, yeah. I only said there are strong feelings. Same as others have strong feelings against using a celebrity's photo to stuff full of sex tentacles...

Faceclaim preference is worth mentioning in you RT just to prevent unnecessary conversations about. Ethics or monetization aside, I'll just decline an FC if someone insists on only using yaoi, or something.

If this is the place to debate that..
it's about the ethics of the creator's wishes, not even necessarily about money or copyright. As an artist who posts online, I'm not thrilled with the idea of someone using my art to RP rape or something untoward. I haven't bothered to make an official statement because I don't think most people would care or even know where the art comes from. Art gets shared without credit so much, and with Twitter, tumblr, and Instagram, it can be almost impossible to even image search and find the artist, anyways. I've seen plenty of artists post specifically not to use their art for RP. I know other artists who RP who are like-minded. So, yeah. I only said there are strong feelings. Same as others have strong feelings against using a celebrity's photo to stuff full of sex tentacles...

Faceclaim preference is worth mentioning in you RT just to prevent unnecessary conversations about. Ethics or monetization aside, I'll just decline an FC if someone insists on only using yaoi, or something.

I don't use artwork so it's a bit foreign to me but one of the risks you take when you post anything online is that someone may use it in a way that you would prefer they didn't.

I read a while ago about an actress who was upset because people saw nudity in film as a chance for sexual gratification. She was complaining that people should see it in the way it was intended. Whatever that may mean. The problem is that once it is out there, people can use it anyway they wish or interpret it any way they wish. With obvious limitations in some cases but my point still stands.

I'm not saying I support it or not just what is likely to happen.

Back in the day, there were play-by-post role-playing forums, where everyone would have a standing character and interact in discrete scenes, with subforums representing locations and such.

It made sense to "claim" a celebrity's face (usually) to be your character image so that in the Duke and the King of Thieves wouldn't both be Hugh Jackman, for example.

Made sense as a term among a standing cast of characters inhabiting the same world/story. Not so much for one on one matchmaking like here.

Back in the day, there were play-by-post role-playing forums, where everyone would have a standing character and interact in discrete scenes, with subforums representing locations and such.

It made sense to "claim" a celebrity's face (usually) to be your character image so that in the Duke and the King of Thieves wouldn't both be Hugh Jackman, for example.

Made sense as a term among a standing cast of characters inhabiting the same world/story. Not so much for one on one matchmaking like here.
That's quite interesting and funny. but it definitely makes complete sense.

That is still the case. Those are group stories. I've been writing on sites that follow this since 2003. The two main forums which people use to advertise their group role-plays are still this way, hosting thousands of group role-plays that all follow this standard. Pretty much the only place this is not done is on places like this where it isn't based around a group, it is based around finding someone with similar interests.

Back
Top Bottom