Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Isekai Prefer List? (Anime, Manga, Etc)

Tazreale

Architect of Worlds
Ones I enjoy from top to bottom. Also most in the list will be default anime unless there are repeats that point towards the manga instead or it being a manga only.

Edit: Also note this list is me going by animes that are originally sub in Eng. I do not like DUB anime. I do not feel DUBs do anime justice as I have bad experiences with DUB anime in past that made it more cringe worthy in comparison to original Japanese voices with subtitles. Inuyasha was one of few Dub animes I like and haven't really watched it sub.

Best Overall to Me
Overlord / Drifters / Grimgar / RE:Zero (Really top four hands down. But if I had to really do an order: Re:Zero. Grimgar. Overlord. Drifters. Grimgar and Re:Zero are still my favorite animes, I love Overlord and Drifters, but damn the other two were amazing with story/character build up.)
Re: Monster (Manga is so good, hope it gets anime adaption)
The Beginning After The End (Webcomic. Really well done and still ongoing. There is also a LN of it, but I haven't read any of the chapters. Basically king of another world somehow reincarnates into a baby in a fantasy type world. This webcomic focuses on character growth, literally him growing and aging as the story progresses within this new world along with him facing believable hardships as a child. No super OPness out of the gate, given he has to learn and to adapt and grow stronger, he may have memories and former experience, but again he still goes through hardships.)
Soul Land (This is actually Chinese 'anime.' Sadly some of the subs are crappy out there for it.)
A Returner's Magic Should be Special (Chinese Webcomic. It involves time travel and Isekai elements to it. Hard to also fully explain, but the premise is great. Sadly only has 70 chapters currently and it usually is a month or so till a chapter is release.)
Solo Leveling (Chinese Webcomic. Not sure what exact 'name' for them goes. Though it is Isekai-ish. The character travels to other worlds when dungeons open up in the real world. Pretty complex to really explain. Sadly it is only at 85 chapters presently and can be finished in few days if one just straight up reads through it. Also it generally takes a month for a chapter to be released and translated.)
Saga of Tanya the Evil
Rising of Shield Hero

High Tier
Otherworldly Sword King's Survival Records (Webcomic. Basically 'One Punch,' but Fantasy World.)
The Descent of the Demonic Master (Webcomic. Basically protagonist reincarnated into another world and then reincarnated back to Earth in his original body with memories of his prior life in other world. )
Chronicles of Heavenly Demon (Chinese web comic, only has 66 chapters right now and on a hiatus to pick up later in year)
Strongest Abandoned Son (Webcomic)
SAO: Alicization (Finally SAO done something right)
Quanzhi Fashi (The web toon is actually better but Anime is alright too.)
Arifureta(Manga)
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
Inuyasha
Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru
<Anime/Manga>
Knights & Magic
Familiar of Zero
Middle Tier
FFF-Class Trashero (Webcomic. There is also a LN for it that is longer than current webcomic. I haven't read much of the LN as the webcomic is only a few chapters and so far I am just putting this in higher middle tier.)
Spirit Sword Sovereign (Chinese comic. There is also anime adaption but subs are horrible. Also it started out great but started to suck, the comic.)
Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen <Anime/Manga. Its place may drop. I also placed this here mostly due to Manga. The anime adaption is by same people that f***ed up Arifuerta if I am not mistaken. Don't quote me on that. But placing both here in case I have to edit and drop the anime version below.)
The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower (Manga. Basically focus on female protagonist that reincarnated in a game world, but she is trying to avoid a bad end as the character of that world.)
Gate
KonoSuba (It is its own special Gem.)
Log Horizon
Dog Days
Arifureta
(Anime. This is a pity cause I was hype for it and then find out the stuff they leave out and change that completely ruins the manga. The anime really is s***. Only reason it not under SAO main series is cause it is still better than SAO. If only by a little. Still. Anime is s***, read the manga, you will be happier. if you already watched the anime, well.. s*** been spoiled early on for you by how bad they f***ed it up.)
Reborn as a Slime or whatever it was called. (Manga. Anime is meh and leaves stuff out.)
Ixion Saga DT (Think I spelt that one right.)
Bottom Feeders: Mostly Animes and works inspired by Gary Stu Overlord Kirito
Sword Art Online: Mostly every arc but Alicization (This would be lower, if it wasn't for SAO spin offs of the stupid troupe below for most part. And if you wondering why I place SAO low? Well. It is unbelievable. Kirito always pulls a win out of his ass basically. I don't remember how old he was in anime, he was still young like HS student or something when he first enter SAO; but he was some 'master hacker' in one scene that knew how to break into a complex game's code that he really should have no knowledge or expertise about in mere seconds. Manages to solo bosses no problem. Defies death. You know. It is this OP nonsense I hate and at some point one has to raise the BS flag. Not to mention all girls fawning over his Gary Stu ass along with his cousin(sister?) wanting to jump his d***. Anime or not, it just doesn't really leave room for immerse character development when things can just be magically resolved cause of some very loose 'plot.' The anime was good up to the murder mystery point; after that the series plummeted for the most part. Sinon had more character development in her arc than Kirito ever did in the entire series. /Rant)
How Not to Summon A Demon Lord
Death March
In Another World with My Smartphone
Isekai Cheat Magician

Wise Man's Grandchild
Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!
(
It is pretty bad. I dunno if it deserves to fall under trash tier.. But... Yea...)
Hataage! Kemono Michi <Anime/Manga> (Erm.. I honestly wasn't sure to put this above Watashi. I don't think it deserves trash tier either, but the anime is fairly bad and just not really funny nor is the manga in my opinion. I mean.. Wrestler goes to other world and wants to open up a pet shop with monsters. It just... Is bad. Maybe not god awful like trash tiers, but still not awe inspiring and I dropped the manga after few chapters in.)
Trash Tier
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? (You know, this too would probably be rock bottom if the other two below it weren't complete trash. I mean. The anime really speaks for itself. Protagonist and mother go to another world. I guess it is the more family approach of Isekai, but I couldn't even stomach the first episode.)
Demon Lord, Retry / Master of Ragnarok (They deserve rock bottom. DLR as I recall the manga and its underage characters and sexual undertone references to them that rub me the wrong way. Seriously the girls looked like Lolis, I dropped it after a few chapters in. MoR because its story is horrible to point of lack of realism. To put it simply, there was a part in story where they save a town that well hated them, that the town being invaded was greatly outnumber and the what happens to Heroes party that consisted of MCs and bunch of nameless soldiers that much smaller in comparison to invading forces? Oh.. No casualties, flawless victory. It is that kinda bs that often rubs me wrong way when characters don't foreshadow themselves as OP to pull that off and where not even some nameless member of hero group doesn't die in the battle? That too just baffles me. I literally dropped it after that.)

There are many others out there. There was actually another Re: anime but can't remember its name. RE:Born? The one where fantasy characters entered the modern world? Whatever title of that one, it would be up there too in my list, probably between Gate and Familiar of Zero.

I also know there is hack series but I never really watched it so I can't give it proper listing to my preference.

There was another anime that name is eluding me as well. Which would be way up there if I can recall what it was. It was a long and old anime. The story basically went like something happen to a character's lover where her memories were lost and he is traveling with a party through dimensions to collect feather fragments of her memories to restore them. Sadly I never finished it.

Edit: Ah, actually remember that anime. It was Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. Google for win. 2005? That was what had me confused. I mean.. It literally looked older than that. I guess it can be considered Isekai-ish as protagonist is traveling dimensions/other worlds to collect memory fragments. Lemme just update that up there in list. I will likely have to restart from scratch watching it as it has been long time. On my eventual to-do list since both seasons like like they have a base of 26 episodes each.

Last edited:
Updated
Spirit Sword Sovereign and Chronicles of Heavenly Demon in list as I finished both of what they had to offer.

Unlisted/On Read List/Reading
Battle Through The Heavens(Chinese Webcomic)
I am the Sorcerer King(Chinese Webcomic)
Holy Ancestor (Chinese webcomic)
Rebirth of the Immortal Cultivator (Chinese webcomic)

Sword Art Online: Mostly every arc but Alicization (This would be lower, if it wasn't for SAO spin offs of the stupid troupe below for most part. And if you wondering why I place SAO low? Well. It is unbelievable. Kirito always pulls a win out of his ass basically. I don't remember how old he was in anime, he was still young like HS student or something when he first enter SAO; but he was some 'master hacker' in one scene that knew how to break into a complex game's code that he really should have no knowledge or expertise about in mere seconds. Manages to solo bosses no problem. Defies death. You know. It is this OP nonsense I hate and at some point one has to raise the BS flag. Not to mention all girls fawning over his Gary Stu ass along with his cousin(sister?) wanting to jump his d***. Anime or not, it just doesn't really leave room for immerse character development when things can just be magically resolved cause of some very loose 'plot.' The anime was good up to the murder mystery point; after that the series plummeted for the most part. Sinon had more character development in her arc than Kirito ever did in the entire series. /Rant)
The only good thing that came out of SAO was the existence of the abridged series, which is honestly a better Sword Art Online than the actual Sword Art Online.

Rising of Shield Hero

Dp_jAsqU0AErL0a.jpg

But in all seriousness, since I haven't watched/read many Isekais, allow me to make this short list.

Good/I would recommend

The Rising of the Shield Hero (light novel is solid, and the anime is good too. I haven't finished the anime yet, but it's because of the anime that I got into reading the light novels)
Re:Zero (I played Danganronpa, so I can enjoy a good taste of some character's despair. Also, Rem best girl in my personal opinion)

Unfinished/On the Fence

Inuyasha (watched some as a kid, but I can barely remember it these days)
Konosuba (started watching when I heard there was a dub, but haven't gotten too far in it yet)
The Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime (unfinished for...I have no idea why. I'll get to it eventually)
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Now this is a case of "I know an anime exists, but I never watched the anime and only read up to Volume 5 of the light novel at the time of typing this," but I'm a bit meh on this one so far.)

Bad/I would rather play Sonic '06 a second time than rewatch these abominations

Sword Art Online -
Ok, so aside from Kirito being blatantly overpowered and having ultra harem powers for solely existing, I never cared much for this series at all. The only good thing to come out of it was that it's so bad, someone made an abridged series that is a better SAO than actual SAO. Sure, it's only through the Aincrad arc at the time I'm typing this, but seriously, it's actually good...but then again, it's not that hard to make a better SAO than SAO. It's like trying to write a better book than E.L James. Even a 5 year old can write a better book, but I'm getting off topic.

Also the less we talk about the Alfheim arc, the better.

Updated into opening post.
Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! <Anime> New, placed at bottom of Bottom Feeders. Just another overpowered genre of MC. Not my cup of tea, but I don't think it belongs in Trash Tier.
Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen <Anime/Manga> Placed in middle tier. Depending how bad the anime adaption may turn out it may drop in ranking. I do like the premise of it though, a very different approach to common isekai genre. You know.. Common isekai genre. *Cough.* Garystu Kirito *Cough* and *Cough* Garystu tropes that follow *Cough.*
Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru <Anime/Manga> Now... This is actually amazing for a comedy anime. Yes, it does go the OP genre, but I think OP genres can work with a twist given to them. This anime isn't really meant to be taken too seriously and so far the anime and manga has kept me fairly amused. Basically think of super paranoid hero that overtrains himself and goes full power on weak enemies. Yea, best MC mindset ever. Sadly the manga isn't far and has very few chapters. I am assuming they doing manga off a LN and just released the anime so the anime will likely surpass the manga chapters pretty soon. Placed in High Tier so far.
Hataage! Kemono Michi <Anime/Manga> Place in bottom feeders tier. I mean, do I need to give explanation? Wrestler goes to another world. The comedy just stinks and should serve as an example of how not to make comedy isekai anime.
Strongest Abandoned Son <Webcomic> High Tier. Boy, it isn't that far in, maybe 60 or so chapters, but premise was the protagonist was basically sent to another universe or maybe reality. I am thinking different, alternative reality as he takes on the body of another possible self. Though in the new world he is in is much different from his other world. <Fuedal China / Modern Earth. Power of Martial Arts or high Wuxia elements / Normal world where cultivation is harder to achieve but still doable.> Thing is, he isn't off bat OP, he has to find ways to improve his cultivation to grow stronger in modern world and well.. There is a lot going on with it other than that, especially with the background of other self of him that is in modern world. Explaining it may get confusing as it juggles a bit of both world elements in it, but focuses mainly on the new lifestyle the MC takes on. Of course there is plenty off action and later over top themes, I mean.. Chinese(Or Korean?) Webcomic.

Unlisted or didn't make cut
Mo Dao Zu Shi <Chinese(Me thinks) Anime> I mean.. It is kinda isekai ish but it isn't really isekai-ish. It is more like some spirit gets ressurrected in a world a bit in the futurue so it doesn't really fall completely into Isekai.
Dr. Stone <Anime/Manga> Well.. This is without a doubt not Isekai. It is more waking up in the future on the same world/planet. Still okay, but not that great. If you into science you might love it. I liked the concept, but wasn't sold on it and eventually dropped it.
Phantasy Star Online 2 <Anime> I dunno how it picks up, but I didn't get far into it. From what I seen it was mostly modern world and then video game playing, so I don't really deem this Isekai. Unless something happens and MC gets stuck in that world, but again. I do not know. The anime didn't really hold my interest in the first few episodes to make me bother watching it. I guess it did well considering it got a second season? But.. Yea...
Red Storm <Webcomic> Well.. It is really semi-isekai. Though the thing about this webcomic is, that part is more focus to the 'teacher' character. I guess the 'teacher,' is somewhat of a MC, but later becomes more of a side role compared to his tutor who lives naturally in that world. It is a great webcomic, but I don't believe it truly fits the bill of Isekai genre. Also I am no where near done with it. Only on around 100 chapter and there are like roughly a little over 300 chapters. But even if Red Storm is not Isekai, it is still amazing. Even though the art style went from color to black and white. It is still amazing. Red Storm is great(but I did wish it could stay in color.)

There probably some other isekai animes that hit that I missed this season, figure this was due for bit of update. Looks like SAO got another new adapation and the first episodes of Kirito's state made me happy, oh so happy. You know? The kind of happy when devs nerf something that long deserved to be nerf and just gut it. Yea, that kind of happy. Don't know how long that will last for season 2 of Alicization arc. I never read LN or any of LNs sooo. I am just hoping it doesn't go GaryKiriStu out of nowhere.

shaking my head at all you kids not naming Magic Knight Rayearth or El-hazard...

Probably cause I never watched em. Just like I never fully read Alice in Wonderland or Divine Comedy which both can be considered 'Isekai,' literature works.

Or notable Aura Battler Dunbine which is labeled as the first Isekai anime that was ever aired. (Putting aside 'American/European cartoons.)

So I can't really rate any of them out of personal preference.

General Updates
The Beginning After The End - Best Overall <Character growth, character development, general story telling. It is great, while the comic is currently at 53 chapters, the light novel is further along if you can find the latter to read anywhere.>
Otherworldly Sword King's Survival Records - High Tier <'One Punch' meets Isekai, not literally the protagonist, but you probably get what I am saying.>
The Descent of the Demonic Master - High Tier <Bit of dozy, but character died in his original world, reincarnated in another world then died again and returned to his original world prior to events of his first death. So Isekai time-travel-ish? He still retains memories and skills of the other world he was a part of. Doesn't sound that appetizing? But I do say. Villainy/badass hero.)
FFF-Class Trashero- Middle Tier <May of went higher tier, but the webcomic is not that far along and I haven't read too much into light novel. Any who. Premise overall is that the hero was great in everything he did, but he had a nasty personality and because of that he was forced to redo EVERYTHING by the divine being that sent him to that world. So Isekai time travel. BUT. All his levels, progress, stats. Reset to zero. Oh, trust me.. It is a pretty f***ed up story, it may of even hit higher tier or best if comic was further along or if I took time to read into the LN which is over 100 chapters I believe. >
The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower - Middle Tier <Not sure if this has a LN or not, but this story focuses on a gun nut that somehow ends up born as the future villianess of some game. She is doing everything she can to learn ahead to avoid a bad ending route of her new life. Fairly interesting, but doesn't have many chapters either currently. >

Back
Top Bottom