Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Different roleplaying writing styles?

Bof

*wipes sweat*
So I just joined and I haven't roleplayed in about five years, so I'm a bit rusty. When I used to roleplay we would be using asteriks, but when looking around here it seem like people are writing full paragraphs. I'm just wondering what the roleplaying styles are like here and if some still write with asteriks, for exemple

<name>
* He looked at her while raising his eyebrow*
- I dont know what you're talking about...
*He chuckled while smirking at her*

and so on...

Its been so long and I'm not used to these kind of forums so would be so helpful to get some things explained before I jump into roleplaying. I prefer writing like this but if majority write full paragraphes I will of course adapt. Thanks! :heart:

AW567481_03.gif

It depends upon each person. However, I've not seen the aforementioned roleplaying style done here. I've seen countless one to three sentence replies. As well as novellas.
But, everyone's roleplaying style is different and their Request threads are a usually a good indicator of what sort of writer they are.

Hope that helps and happy hunting!

P.s welcome to BMR!

Ah, I see! I guess I'll have to look around then. Hopefully I find someone who enjoy writing in the same style, but it will be fun to try a different roleplaying style. 🌟
Thanks for the reply!

If thats the kind of writing style you're looking for and enjoy the most, be sure to mention it in your request thread Bof :) Im sure youll find someone who likes it as well.

So I just joined and I haven't roleplayed in about five years, so I'm a bit rusty. When I used to roleplay we would be using asteriks, but when looking around here it seem like people are writing full paragraphs. I'm just wondering what the roleplaying styles are like here and if some still write with asteriks, for exemple

<name>

and so on...

Its been so long and I'm not used to these kind of forums so would be so helpful to get some things explained before I jump into roleplaying. I prefer writing like this but if majority write full paragraphes I will of course adapt. Thanks! :heart:

AW567481_03.gif

Most people in my experience write as if it were a novel. Just paragraphs and Quotation marks when characters are talking. Third person is also the most common form of tense.

Hiya. I feel ya. I was RPing in story-centric group chats xxxxxxxx years ago. I still want to type asterisks indicating motions in normal chat, to this day. Discord kind of broke me of that, as it makes italics. I had to get used to forum posting when I got back into RP this year. Like others said, it's just simplest to type book format with quotation marks.

<name>

and so on...

AW567481_03.gif

To echo what others have said, I feel like it depends on who you are writing with and what feels best for the content you are creating with the other writer(s). If the story calls for using *, then I do it! If not, I usually default to writing in paragraphs, using quotations " " to indicate speech.

Now, there is another method that I haven't seen used much on here, but that is graphic script notation. The point of graphic script notation is to layout in text-form what a comic/graphic novel/manga page would look like (if your writing partner(s) are creating that type of document). To use it:

Descriptive or set up text is in italics
(Character thoughts go in parenthesis) - because the ( ) mimics the thought bubble
[Narrator, in-story set up text or panel transition character text goes in brackets] - because the [ ] mimics the blank squares that contain text that is not speech or thought
("Remembered Dialogue or dialogue spoken in the past")
= dramatic sound effects = or <electronic sound effects> or {distant, background noise sound effects}
1 line space signifies a new panel while two or three line spaces signify a new page.
NAME 1: Dialogue, dialogue dialogue
NAME 2: Dialogue, dialogue, dialogue

So as a rough example, (don't worry! No spoilers!) this page out of the fruits basket comic would read something like (https://i4.mangareader.net/fruits-basket/1/fruits-basket-456583.jpg):

Tohru approaches the open front panel doors of the house.
TOHRU: (Major discovery...! There is actually a house here...)

TOHRU: [What an elegant mansion...]

{chiiriiiiin....riiiin....} The singing of a bell wind chime can be heard over rustling of trees in the gentle breeze.

TOHRU: (Ah...How cute...)
???: How rare,

TOHRU: (!)
SHIGURE: There is a girl here? (Wow! And she's a high school student)

TOHRU: He-Hello...I'm sorry about looking around without your permission!
TOHRU: (Ah...! Someone is here...!! Of course there is!)
SHIGURE: It's okay, look if you want. I only put them out for some sunshine.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know!

Recently I have been dabbling in first person and it's not something I'm used to. As a seasoned roleplayer I feel like it's harder to get the description and attention to detail 3rd person has. It's true though that every person as their own style, I started with asterisks I remember the good old days!! Good luck in your search!

I just copy whatever style my partner's using. As long as the RP's long enough for me to get used to that style it works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom