Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Word count

crony

Super-Earth
What happened to the word count? Was it taken away? I remember some didn't like it. I wasn't one of them.

I suppose I have Microsoft Word for that though. I kinda wanted that feature back. I like that link though! The readability feature is interesting.

It says this post is 12th grade. Lol

One of the troubles with the feature, as I recall, was that it was extremely disruptive on mobile (and that's me speaking from experience just as well). Given that, I for one am perfectly fine with it not being there (particularly since word count doesn't mean anything to me).

I can't imagine many circumstances where knowing an exact word count for your post is particularly helpful, but the link that you posted there is quite interesting Simplicity.

I remember a few years ago when I was writing something, and it was one of the first things in a long time that I needed to read out loud in front of people (yuck) so I was being super careful with not being repetitive. Anyway I noticed that I had a really bad habit of unnecessarily using the 'actually' albeit in a context where the sentence still made sense, but where there was no need for the word.

"For example I might actually have written something like this, which while it actually makes sense there are a lot of words you don't actually need".

So I'm curious to see if there are other blind spots like that which other people notice about your writing that you don't notice yourself - and if something like that would help you find them..

One of the troubles with the feature, as I recall, was that it was extremely disruptive on mobile (and that's me speaking from experience just as well). Given that, I for one am perfectly fine with it not being there (particularly since word count doesn't mean anything to me).

Indeed. The little counter was positioned just so in the text box so that you couldn't maneuver around it if you needed to return to the end of a post while writing. Like, you type all the way to filling the box so the counter overlaps your last word, go back to edit something further up in the post, then try to return to the spot at the end; good luck. Because clicking on the spot, the counter was in the way and wouldn't register you trying to click on the spot in the post. It required either on the spot maneuvering to make the space accessible or you'd have to plan ahead with a bunch of space below before you started typing.

Back
Top Bottom