Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PJ in Slumberland

TheCorsair

Fruit Bat Vampire
Part One

“Good night, PJ,” mom laughed, putting just a little firmness into her voice as he bounced on his bed and tackle-hugged her. “It’s time to turn out the lights. You’ve got school in the morning.”

He wrapped his arms around her in an eight-year-old bear hug. “But what if I have a bad dream?” he protested. “Can’t I sleep with you and dad tonight?”

“No.” The word was final, but tempered with affection. Scooping him up in her arms, she sat down with him on the bed. “But you know what? I used to have really bad dreams too, when I was a little girl.”

“You did?” Nestled into his mom’s embrace, he yawned. Her lap was a lot smaller now, but it still made him feel safe and loved.

“I did,” she said, kissing his forehead. “But your grandma told me that dreams are just stories you tell yourself, so you can change them. So I did.”

“But it’s hard!” he protested.

“Try it again,” she said, rolling him into bed and tucking him in. Reflexively, he curled up with his big brown teddy bear Bear. “You can do it.”

“I’ll try,” he said.

She kissed him and hugged him again. “Love you,” she said.

“Love you,” he murmured.

The light clicked out, plunging the room into darkness broken only by the blue light of his nightlight and the green glow of the plastic stars stuck to his ceiling. Some of the kids at school teased him about the nightlight. Saying second graders didn’t need them, and he was just being a baby. But the dark was scary.

Not the stars, though. He loved the stars, loved watching them glitter in the night sky. He knew all their names, all the ones he could see. And he knew the names of the planets, and how many moons they had. Mostly, anyway. They were his friends.

“So am I.”

Blinking, PJ sat up. Bear was sitting up, staring at him with one shiny black eye, and one flat black eye where mom had tried to fix the button eye that had been lost. “You can talk!”

“Of course I can,” bear grinned, hopping up and leaping into his arms. “We always talk when we play!”

PJ frowned a little at that. Of course he did. But he was old enough to know that he’d just been playing pretend. But he hugged Bear anyway, laughing for joy. “Of course we do!”

The closet door creaked.

PJs blood froze, and he stared at the door. It was hard to see in the dim blue light, and spooky shadows gathered to make it harder. But he heard it again, and as he did he burrowed down with the blankets over his head. “The monster,” he whispered to Bear, clinging to his friend for comfort. “Be quiet. Maybe it won’t hear us.”

The closet door creaked again. PJ felt his heart hammering in his chest. He wanted mom and dad. The monster always ran away, when they came in. He knew it did, because it was always gone when they looked. He wanted to call for them, wanted to run to their room. But if he made a sound, if the monster saw him...

“What are we going to do, Bear?” he whispered, trying not to cry. He was right. He was a big boy. Big boys didn’t cry.

“I don’t know,” Bear whispered, clinging to him.

PJ shivered. Why couldn’t he leave the lights on? The monster didn’t like lights, but the nightlight wasn’t bright enough. The stars were bright enough, but they were far, far away. “Mommy,” he whispered, hugging Bear.

“You can change them.” It wasn’t a real voice, but it was mom’s voice. He heard it. Was he dreaming? He had to be. Bear couldn’t really talk.

The closet door creaked. This time, he could swear he heard heavy, wet breathing. “I can change it,” he whispered, peeping out. The stars on his ceiling blowed green. And blue and white. He stared at them. “I can change it.”

The bed bounced and shook. And then it floated. Slowly, but picking up speed, it drifted towards the ceiling. No, not the ceiling. The sky. The night sky, full of smiling dancing stars. They called his name, catching his hands and Bear’s paws with their little points. “PJ!” one little green star laughed, holding his hands and dancing ring-around-the-rosy with him. “We’re going to have so much fun!”

From far below the monster snuffled, rattling the closet door. It didn’t matter, though. PJ was sitting on a cloud, eating ice cream with the stars and Bear. He smiled, and dropped a Dipper full over the side. Maybe the monster liked ice cream, and then it wouldn’t be mean or scary any more.

It might be fun, making friends with a monster.

Part Two

“I’ll peel the skin off you!” the Thing raged. “I’ll crack your bones, and...”

“Or,” PJ replied, digging in his bag, “I brought cookies. You could have one of them instead.”

The Thing hesitated, snuffling wetly. PJ watched the burning red eyes stare at him in the darkness, felt the damp cartoon reel of the monster’s breath hit him like a strong wind. Beside him, Bear shuffled uneasily, gripping his wooden sword in his plush paw.

“What kind of cookies?” the Thing demanded, grating the words out.

“Snickerdoodles,” PJ replied, displaying them. “One for each of us.”

The Thing’s breath blew in the darkness, long and loud. “All right,” it said, extending misshapen talons.

Grinning, Pete handed it the cookie. Then he handed one to Bear, and ate the last one himself. Overhead the stars danced, singing and waving and casting their pale green glow. “What are we doing tonight?” the Thing asked, sitting on the side of the bed.

“I don’t know,” Bear replied, spraying crumbs as he chewed. “What do you want to do?”

“Rip your head off and eat you,” the Thing replied.

PJ chuckled as the two bickered. It was an old exchange, something his two dream-friends had fine every night for the past year. They’d argue and tease and fight a little, and then he’d come up with the idea and they’d go on an adventure. “Let’s be pirates!” he said after he finished his cookie.

“Pirates!” Bear echoed excitedly. Bear always liked his ideas.

“Pirates?” echoed the Thing. “I don’t like water.” The Thing never liked his ideas at first.

“Yeah, pirates!” PJ declared, leaping to his feet and grabbing his own wooden sword. “We’ll find buried treasure and you can eat bad guys!”

“I do like eating bad guys,” the Thing replied thoughtfully.

“But,” Bear asked, “aren’t pirates the bad guys?”

“We’ll be good guy pirates!” PJ declared as the bed began to rock beneath them. “Hoist the sail, First Mate Bear!”

“Aye aye, Captain!” Bear declared, polling the ropes that ran up the mast in the center of the bed.

“Second Mate Thing!” PJ barked. “Do you see a sail?”

“Aye aye, Captain!” the Thing slavered. “Two points to starboard! A bad guy flag!”

PJ wasn’t entirely sure what “starboard” was, or what “two points” meant, but it all sounded nicely piratical. And besides, off to the right of the bed, he saw another ship flying a black flag with an evil-looking skull and crossbones. Bad guy pirates for sure! He spun the wheel, sending them towards the ship. “What kind of bad guys?” he asked.

“Pirates!” the Thing laughed, drooling.

“Zombie Pirates!” Bear called down. He’d climbed to the crow’s nest to get a better view.

“Stab them in the head!” PJ ordered. “Or bite them in the head,” he added, looking at the Thing.

“Aye aye, Captain!” his friends replied.

The fight was fast and easy, because zombies were stupid and because good guys always beat bad guys. “There’s treasure!” Bear announced, dancing a little.

“What kind?” PJ asked.

“Gold!” the Thing declared, letting coins trickle between its talons. He finished chewing on a zombie’s head. “And diamonds!”

“We’re rich!” Bear declared, pumping a plush fist.

“We need to bury it,” PJ declared solemnly, watching Bear throw coins around.

“Why?” Bear asked, perching on the kid.

“Because we’re pirates,” PJ replied reasonably. “And pirates bury treasure, so they can dig it up again.”

“That makes sense,” Bear said after a moment. “Let me get started.” And with that he picked up his shovel and started digging. Sand crunched as he drive the blade in, then healed up. PJ watched, because he was the Captain and Pirate Captains didn’t have to dig.

The Thing watched, because he was a hideous monster and hideous monsters would eat anyone who tried to make them dig.

“Greetings, Knight Of...”

PJ jumped, fell, then scrambled backwards across the sand. The voice shouldn’t be there! The voice couldn’t be there! This was his dream, and only the things he dreamed could be in his dream! But the voice was there!

“Wait. This isn’t right.”

The voice belonged to a man PJ didn’t recognize. A lanky red-headed man in a grey suit, leaning on a black cane with a lumpy silver handle. He tucked the cane under one arm, and slapped the tablet he held in his other hand. “What’s wrong with you?” he demanded, glaring at the tablet.

“Uhm...” PJ said slowly, clambering back to his feet. Bear and the Thing gathered protectively around him, staring at the stranger. “Who are you? How did you get here?”

“This isn’t the...”. The man looked up, blinking in surprise. “Oh, terribly sorry. Was I being rude? I was being rude, wasn’t I? Only, I had expected to find the Knight of Cerulean Shadows here, patrolling the hinterlands of the Terran Nousphere. Not, uhm...”. He glanced at the tablet, then at PJ and his dream-companions.

“PJ,” the boy said hesitantly, I sure if he should answer. “And this is Bear and the Thing.”

“A pleasure,” the man replied, tucking the tablet under his arm and offering a hand. “Tshilydydidbzhuonglireern.” Or, at least, that was how it kind of sounded. Kind of. Because PJ’s brain was trying to tell him he’d heard “The Shaman,” and that didn’t make any sense. “Just to check,” the man added, “you aren’t the Knight of Cerulean Shadows?”

“I, uh, no.” PJ scratched his head. “No. I’m not.”

“Pity. I could use her assistance.” He eyed PJ speculatively. “Still, there’s something about you... have you been to Celephaïs? Could you carry a message for me to King Kuranes?”

“I...”. PJ blinked, and shook his head. “I don’t know where that is.”

“Really?” The Shaman appeared startled by the admission. “A dreamer like you hasn’t been there? Have you stayed within Ulthar, then?”

“Where?”

The Shaman cocked his head. “The village you come to when you descend the seventy steps of light slumber and the seven hundred stairs of deeper slumber?” He searched the boy’s face. “This is remarkable! You should seek them out, because a dreamer like you is wasted in the shallows of this nousphere.”

“I don’t...” PJ began, but the man turned on his heel and strode across the dunes towards an oak tree with s door in it. “What do you mean?”

“I’m sorry,” The Shaman replied, stepping into the tree, “but I must be going.” Ignoring PJ’s questions, he slammed the trunk shut. The tree creaked and groaned, and vanished.

Rattled, PJ opened his eyes and stared at his ceiling. The glow in the dark stars were dim and unmoving, and Bear was just a stuffed animal again as he curled up with it. Sleep was a long time in returning.

Back
Top Bottom