Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lets talk about the General Chat.

spud

Das dingo
Just opening this up, since people are scared away from it so often. Do you feel like the general chat is filled with people you can't stand? And when you try to talk about something they basically tell you to "shut your fat hole, you waste of space. How dare you talk about anything you're interested in?" "How dare you have a little fun in the general. DROP IT." (hyperbolic/over the top for comedic sake..) Well if you're told by an admin or someone else who thinks they're an admin "isn't there a Blue Moon Academy?" you can come here. Specially made for those lovely people~ Don't worry I accept you with all your flaws and with open arms! Love you and enjoy you.

Honestly, just come here and post what you think can be done or what you want to do to fix this problem. It can be because you honestly want to talk about serious topics without being shut down, or it can be because you enjoy a darker kind of comedy. Whatever reason! Please just follow the rules, wouldn't want this post taken down now would we? If we genuinely want something to change we'll need to discuss it, and general is not the place to do so.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
The problem they had with your posts is many things one you were not discussing, you were attacking a group of people.

Many times how you come at something is often more important than your side in an actual discussion.

Though when chat was leaner we have had many interesting talks there late night when not so many people were on. It is still General Chat, and if people think a topic is unproductive or just not wanted it is fair to take such ideas where they are wanted. We want to attract more to enjoy chat, and the site in general if people feel chat is unwelcoming or that is what to expect on the site we could turn away potential great new members.

spud

Das dingo
I bet the general in its current state has turned people away from the site because of how childish and annoying it can be. But that's if the General has turned anyone away in the first place, I don't believe that the general chat has much if any power at all to turn away new guests. People come here because they either hear from a friend about the site, or they go onto google and type "Role playing sites for smut and gay stuff" The general is more of an added bonus then a make or break kind of thing.

And if people would be turned away by such "adult" conversations, then wouldn't people in the other camp be turned away by such an annoying and insufferable chat? You could be potentially turning away thousands of people who RP because they see that the chat represents a very stagnant and immature side of the internet. Not that talking about issues that people care about makes you more adult, but when you see people talking about marsh mellows and X3'ing at every other message. Doesn't that leave its own sour taste in people mouths?

Also this discussion has nothing to do with me, follow the rules or get ban hammered by the gods themselves. You're on your final warning before I personally walk over to your house and throw you into a pit of fire that you can never climb out of. Or before I go shoot up a mall to show you how serious I am. (HYPERBOLIC COMEDY FOR HYPERBOLIC SAKE...)

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
You may have a point that the lighter talk may push people away as well, and that balance will always be fluid which is why the mods tend to only get involved with either very polarizing topics. As well as with what the people in chat want which does cause a little gate keeping I am not fond of. However statements such as 'Fuck Da Police' or the like has many problems in a public area for people who have police in their family who have been shot or harmed in the line of duty. So such topics need to be handled carefully in a public area delicately if at all. (This is not to highlight your statements, but a clear example of why a topic may be viewed as inappropriate for chat.)

I am one who would prefer other chat windows for people who wish to talk about adult/controversial matters, but it is also out of the preview of the site quite honestly. The mods do not come in for people who bring up a topic the current chat wants dropped that leave or say meet me in the academy to continue such talk which is a fair middle ground for me.

Hyperbolic jokes are not really something that belong in a proper discussion you would seriously like engaged in, now this could be taken as an opinion true. Yet when chat as a group want to move away from a topic that is a clear point to start something here or if talking to one other person PMs.

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
General chat is almost always going to be a place more for lighter chatter. Over the years there have been mroe serious discussions there, but that was also back when there were a lot fewer people that used it. If there's 20 people innt he chat, and 2 want a more serious discussion, yeah, they're probably better off having it away from the rest of chat. And it also depends on the subject too, some mroe serious conversations can be had between said two peoplpe, but if it's something that legitimately bothers someone else, then once again, probably better off taking it somewhere besides what amounts to a shoutbox.

As for darker humour, plenty fo that goes around on this site, but there's a difference between darker humour and edgelord shock-jock humour, and if your previous posts here are indicators on how you see dark humour...yeah, it feels super edgelord, and honestly just not really funny. While I know humour is incredibly subjective, the audience of a joke are way more important to find it funny than the guy telling it. If you've got a singular sense of humour, I'm sorry man, that sucks, but noone else is likely going to want to indulge in it.

I'm also agreeing with the above that it feels super out of place in an Academy thread.

spud

Das dingo
Ok, example then. We had an issue where someone wanted to talk about how their family member committed Suicide in general chat, they wanted a bit of solidarity and they wanted a bit of connection to this website. They were told to leave and that conversations like that weren't appropriate for General chat. That's fine, because she should be in the academy? She's not allowed to try and turn the conversation to something a little more serious for maybe an hour or so because people were uncomfortable. That's not ok.

If you enjoy my edgelord humor or not, you should see how that's a problem. Starting a thread isn't as personal as talking to a group of people in real time, trying to gauge their emotions and let your guard down a little bit. So there should definitely be a place for people like that. Or they shouldn't be told to shut up and leave because they're "being a downer"

And honestly you don't know how many people have been turned away from the site because they didn't have an outlet to talk in. I don't either, but I can't assume NO ONE has.

spud

Das dingo
Its very reasuring to hear that when something serious pops into the General chat people just ignore it. I don't care if she turned herself into the victim, sounds like you're just trying to blame someone who was in a very emotionally unstable state.

This is my point, General chat isn't accepting to people that make them uncomfortable at all. They only want their bubble, if you don't fit the bubble then you're making them uncomfortable and the admins should step in. Its very disheartening to hear that. That the General chat feeling uncomfortable is more important than someone who just lost a family member to suicide.

Once again Journals and threads aren't as personal as someone in the chat talking to you or engaging with you. So maybe people in the general chat need to become a little more accepting of others? Instead of plugging their ears and looking away from cries for help.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
Yep it would be way more important for someone like me to talk about Suicide who has a loathing for those who do such a thing. (Had a close friend in school successfully do so, another friend end up in the hospital, and even a family member attempt such a thing.) I have no sympathy for such things so I stepped away not to offend cause my views on such things are harsh.

Though because no one felt they could respond in a proper manner instead most people stepped away reguardless how they felt then they were attacked for such an action. Sometimes silence is the kindest response, but then you are attacking those that chose not to participate which is a great example why it does not belong in a general chat. There are just some topics that go along these lines that are better left to areas where people will be more willing to hear your plight.

Saber Arturia

Hashire sori yo
Staff member
Administrator
I will be monitoring this thread. Keep it civil on all sides. Attacks against other users will not be tolerated. Treat others respectfully in this topic even if you disagree with their views on the chat situation.

spud

Das dingo
Ignoring someone who's looking to talk about their life isn't the kindest response, the kindest response is to ask if they need to talk one on one or someone at least indulge them for a moment. I want everyone to be allowed to talk, even if you have unflattering things to say. Explain why you've said them and what you mean, you don't need to feel like no one should say anything. That's when problems bubble over and people either hurt themselves or others.

If you don't wish to talk about an issue, by all means.. Don't talk about it, keep your fingers away from the keyboard. Its perfectly fine, but you shouldn't tell people they are not allowed to look for kind words through an open chat. That's when it gets a little inappropriate to me.

spud

Das dingo
I will be monitoring this thread. Keep it civil on all sides. Attacks against other users will not be tolerated. Treat others respectfully in this topic even if you disagree with their views on the chat situation.
Thank you for being here, very much appreciated.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
So anyone who brings any problem in chat should cause everyone to be fake, and pretend? I can only speak for myself which is not one who can talk about such things cause I can not pretend like that with those issues under a more 'real' talk. So I left, and for such a thing your statement both seems to imply I am wrong for doing so?

If I said how I felt about such a thing, and it caused an explosion of emotion it would be on my conscience which puts me in a bad situation that is simply something that would make me leave chat. I do not mind any conversation in the right place for it cause then that person has gone for opinions on any side I say what I have to say.

spud

Das dingo
No, I want you to be allowed to speak your mind... I want you to say what you honestly feel if you want too, as long as you're respectful. If you can't be respectful, honestly I still want you to speak your mind. I don't want you to feel like you're afraid to speak how you honestly feel, you can leave if you want but I don't want options taken away from you because people will tell you to stop talking or be quiet. I want you to say whatever you honestly feel.

If you can't handle it being on your conscience then that's something you have to figure out. I can't help you there, but you have to expect that people won't be happy with your opinions. At the same time people shouldn't be allowed to tell you you're not allowed to express your opinions because they have caused an "explosion of emotion". Talking is the only way we truly figure out who we are, and taking away peoples abilities to talk about serious topics will always result in stunted and immature thoughts.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
I agree with everyone should speak their mind, and in the correct Time, and place I will such as replying to this. I look at it like yelling out in a doctor's office how you feel about a comedian. Everyone will be stunned then likely go back to their own thing, but then people keep going around about said issue doing so till they are removed. Then they complain that they are being silenced. We may disagree on that point, but I feel such things are neccessary.

spud

Das dingo
This isn't a doctors office.. this is a chat room from an accepting and understanding website. There's a bit of a difference, and the general shouldn't be held up as this "You an only X3 and XD here" Kind of place. If Bluemoon wants to be more open and accepting, then I think its time we let other people who want to talk about more serious topics either talk in the general or have a separate chat for them. Honestly the end goal is to get a separate chat. The general isn't' ideal with all the people who will shut you out.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
If the site wanted to implement an open form chat for more heavy, or possibly offensive discussions I would encourage that. Heck I would drop in from time to time, but it goes back to my point as time, and place there so in a way we agree there.

A general chat has rules, and they are simple rules and make a lot of sense for a general chat.

spud

Das dingo
But when you don't have any other form of an outlet, its no longer just "rules for general" Its just rules for a very niche amount of people. I totally agree with bringing the more offensive discussions chat. I feel there would be people who would never go to general because that would fill the other side. But as it stands, if there is no place for the other. Then there should be no place for the one, the General.. Should be open to everything. Moderating it the way they have has made it so that only a few people get to enjoy the chat when everyone on the site should be allowed too.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
If it was that important someone would have made, and used a discord room for such things. However this is an Adult RP Site, and such issues come up only every few weeks. Also quite frankly I do not know the kind of load chat places on this site, as well as the load another chat room may add.

Reddit, Twitter, 4 Chan ect. All these sites have outlets that can be used. So to me wanting to steal the general chat of this site for such things seems a weaker argument.

spud

Das dingo
Well.. I could just go to omegle to RP. Why even stay here? There are plenty of RP websites so why do we need to update or try to make this site better?

that's what that sounds like to me, why update and try to improve the site when we could just go do something else. I could go for a run, or find friends in real life. But that's just a deflection of the real argument.

As for it being a heavy load on the site, I don't honestly know. I'd love to hear what an admin would have to say about that, but I can't answer or comment on that. So that's a bit of a dead end.

Its not about stealing general, its about sharing it... I don't want everyone to talk about serious topics all the time, that would just be the other end of the same garbage coin. But I don't want people to be told they shouldn't talk about certain issues just because its marshmellow time. Let conversations naturally flow and shift instead of trying to dictate what can and can't be said. Be open to talking. That's the change I want from the general, and if it can't happen then I think a different chat (if possible) would and should happen.

Arclight1988

Rift-Walker
Your argument to go somewhere else to RP does not hold water as you are talking about using a RP sites general chat to go in a more non-RPing direction. So am I missing something there?

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
Bluntly, general chat isn't a therapy session or a support group really. I get that when things are bad you look for support wherever you can get it, and certainly don't blame a person for doing so in General. However, no one should feel like they either HAVE to chime in when something like that comes up, or that all other activity must grind to a screeching halt because said topic has entered the chat out of respect for a single person that's newly entered.

spud

Das dingo
There's a difference between something grinding to a halt because of one person and people telling you you're not allowed to talk about what you want to talk about. Or no one respond even once, compassion and empathy is all I ask for. No one HAS to speak up if a soon to be school shooter cries out for help on face book, the parents don't need to do anything, friends, family don't need to do anything. Nothing at all.. don't cry when something happens or people leave.

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
If you don't wish to talk about an issue, by all means.. Don't talk about it, keep your fingers away from the keyboard.
So by your previous statements, you shouldn't ignore them, and if you don't want to engage with said person, just stop typing. That is literally telling people to grind chat to a halt unless you're diving in to support said person.

I do believe people didn't tell her to leave because she was talking about her family member's suicide. I was there. She brought it up, nobody said anything or reacted because that's really heavy and nobody knew what to say - she literally just dropped this emotional bomb in chat, derailing an already ongoing friendly conversation. When she didn't get the reaction she wanted, she began to complain and act like a victim to the point where it became confrontational. THEN she was asked to leave or drop it.
As Goodman explained, it was not the topic itself that was the problem, it was the attempt to redirect all ativity back onto her when there were no takers that were willing to engage.

As for you mini-tirade against not engaging...what the actual hell? This site is not Facebook, where the majority of content is coming from friends or family, dropping into General Chat is literally walking into a room of perfect strangers and trying to spark up a conversation. If you lead with horrible personal tragedy, yeah, people are probably going to disengage from that, and if you persist in trying to get people to engage, yeah, I'm not surprised you'd be asked to stop or leave.

I am going to repeat something for emphasis here:
This is not a therapy site. Perfect strangers are unlikely to want to engage with someone elses tragedy when they have no investment in the situation. And that does not make them bad people

spud

Das dingo
Tomatoes tomahtoes, not bad people, bad people. Its all the same to me, they're not really helping the situation of trying to make people feel included. That's the whole point, you want your click then stick to general chat and tell people to stop talking when they ask someone to step in. Your choice, inaction can lead to reaction. Don't forget that.

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
Okay, so this is likely the last response I'm going to make, since at this point it's just going in circles while you toss out vague hyperbolic statements. So the last I'm going to address...

If you want to feel accepted in General Chat, then chat. If your shock-jock humour isn't landing, then move on to another topic. Keep going. You'll find some common ground to chat to someone about. From everything I've been seeing about the situation, specific users aren't being told they aren't welcome, simply that specific topics aren't.

If you really wanted a place to have this kind of talk, why an Academy thread? Why not just go to Questions and Suggestions, and ask if such a room can be created in Chat for it? Failing that, ask to get a room set up on the BMR Discord, which doesn't even place a load on the BMR server, and it could have already been DONE by now had you gone that route.

If you do have something constructive to add, then more power to you, good luck on making your points. If all that comes from here are hyperbole and trite overused vague statements about how some people refusing to engage in situations they have no stake in is going to potentially cause mass tragedy? Sorry, not much point in continuing this.

Top Bottom