Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Discord on Phones, bad?

V-Jolt

Discord Daddy: vjolt_
Most of my roleplays are done via Discord and since I rarely use a computer these days when I am not at work I use Discord on my phone.

Now this has never been a issue but randomly today I have had two potential roleplay partners bail on me when they found out I use Discord on my phone.

Apparently it’s “slow and cumbersome” but I have notifications on so I know when I get a message and I usually respond as soon as I can after I am notified.

Sorry to rant I am just confused as this has never been a issue before. Does the computer version of Discord have a delay when receiving phone app messages?

I think that peoples' response is probably more towards the fact that you use your phone as opposed to Discord. There's definitely some stigma towards phone responses that I've noticed, especially from people who are looking for lots of fast responses - which I think most who use Discord are.

There are probably a lot of phone users who carelessly forget to check any typos, which can make a serious RP lose its charm. If you don't mention you're on your phone and keep spelling in check, they probably won't complain.

OOOF! Well that bites. I'm not like that at all, and I have Discord on both my PC and tablet. Logs are stored within your account remotely via Discord's end, not locally on your device, so I'd figure that wouldn't be the concern. I've played with a few over Discord now who exclusively use their phone or tablet to get around online. Any 'lag time' is due to many factors, not just the device you're using Discord on.

If they are bailing on you over such (to me) trivial matters, it's their loss. To be on the safe side with typos I'd turn auto-correct on for Discord. It's not perfect obviously, but better than nothing for some users.

I like longer posts, and Discord has a limit, which means it's harder to do those. If you're only looking for shorter posts, it works, but that's not what I'm looking for. Typing on the phone can lead to a lot of typos and not everyone checks for that, which makes things a chore to read. I'm fine with Discord for OOC, but not really In Character posting. It's rare I do RPs on Discord just because of the hassle of the character limit per message.

That's one of my big beefs with Discord. You are limited to 2000 alpha/numeric characters; spaces, symbols, and any shortcut commands (to italicize, underline, bold, etc) included. A shame the older IMs are no longer in service (AIM, Yahoo, etc). as they had higher thresholds. I find it best for quicker-moving RPs or for those one-shots. For long-term story based affairs, I still prefer forums.

I only started using Discord earlier this year because of someone I met on this site. Before then I roleplayed exclusively on this website. I get phone notifications when I receive messages on Discord which is great as I do hate having to keep checking this site to see if my partners have replied. Also. I love setting up multi channel servers on Discord for the story, OOC, characters and photo references.

Yes the post size limit is a problem hence why I type my Discord post out in the Notes app on my iphone then copy and paste it in chunks to Discord.

I keep BMR up on a tab on my phone and just swipe down when I have a second to check. If I have a reply waiting, I hop on my computer, or if it's just OOC, I reply to that and try to catch my mispelled words, but my dyslexia likes to kick in lol

But some people prefer the site, they don't want notifications on their phones, or find messengers a bit too personal. Maybe they don't want to download an app. Or it could just be it's not their thing and they want to keep their roleplaying on site. That's my preference-keeping it on site.

I don't know who contacted who first. If they contacted you first, then I would assume they would have seen something in your thread mentioning that you only RP on Discord. If you contacted them, I would assume you would have seen something in their thread that mentioned their preference as to where they liked to RP. If they didn't have it, maybe they should add it. But-maybe you might want to mention within the first few exchanges next time that you like to RP on Discord, and save yourself some time if they don't should you be contacting them first or they don't have a preference mentioned.

I roleplay both on here and on discord, it is something that I always discuss prior to any roleplay starting. Both people who bailed chose Discord, the first realised I was on my phone and asked me to use a computer which I refused then the second I warned her as a joke and then she too bailed.

I was just wondering what the issue was, clearly its just about personal preference.

I am not bothered about people bailing, I am always looking for new people so obviously not everyone I meet works out.

Maybe they associate phone posts with short posts and typos. Tends to be a common issue I run onto.

Well “slow and cumbersome” was the response I got, not sure how it’s slow? When I am available I respond just like anyone else.

I can typeup a page long post in less than 15 minutes if I have a good idea of what I want to wrote-if I am on my computer. My phone, takes me about an hour or more and the typo bunnies like to rain havoc. Maybe they worry you can't post back and forth quickly or that you will take all day for a short post-which can happen, I've had it happen to me. Might not have anything to do with your ability, and they are hung up on past experiences that left a bad taste in their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom