Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Lady Doth Write Too Much (Athene's Writing Journal, Comments Welcome)

LadyAthene

Supernova
So ... I haven't used my old one in a while. And while, admittedly, I could just post there, this journal is gonna hold a special purpose for it.

When 2019 rolled around, one of my writing goals was to actually start writing a book.

It took till the end of July, but finally - finally! - I finished the first chapter as of today. I second guessed myself a lot on what I wanted to write for my first novel, hence the primary reason I never made progress until today.

I also intend to use this to remind myself of which threads I owe replies to, and so on. It's very likely going to end up being my newer journal that I'll use much more often, to be completely honest.

That being said, comments are more than fine. In fact, they're welcomed. Thus, if you want to post here, feel free to. But avoid posting any trolling or unnecessarily rude remarks here, please.

Thanks and enjoy!

- Athene

RP Tracking Post:

Who I Owe Replies To:
Razgriz
East [For 1 Thread(s)]

Who I'm Waiting To Reply To Me:
Chevalier
East [For Punisher RP]

Last edited:
About Athene's Book/Work In Progress:

Title: To Catch A Phantom

AUTHOR'S NOTE/DISCLAIMER: For anyone noticing, yes. This is the exact same name as my plot you can find in my respective thread. It's actually where I got the idea from.

Synopsis: He’s given every branch of law enforcement trouble for years. Vincent went from a nuisance to earning a spot on the FBI’s Top 10 Wanted List. Although most of his crimes are small and ‘tame’ in nature, his ability to continue evading branches of authority such as the FBI has given him immense amounts of infamy, as well as a nickname he’s now known by; The Phantom.

After years of constantly trying to chase and capture Vincent, a young FBI Agent, Alyssa, seems to have found a lead and rare opportunity. She eagerly brings it up to her captain and superiors.

But by the time she does, they’re ready to give up and close the numerous cases against Vincent.

Devastated and furious at the display her bosses give, Alyssa decides to take it upon herself. Against better judgement - and orders - she goes to capture Vincent by herself. But what happens when it backfires and she ends up being forced to accompany the very man she was trying to bring to justice? Will she be able to keep her beliefs and moral compass, or will those vanish over time?

Chapter 1:

3rd December
02:56 AM EST
Washington D.C.
Exact Location: Inside Alyssa Edwards Portman’s Residence

Fatigued, if not slightly irritated, brown eyes scanned the numerous letters that had been dispersed all along her desk for what felt like the millionth time. There had to be something she had been missing; there just had to be. A pattern, a code … something else? All the young FBI knew for sure was this much; these letters had most definitely not been randomly sent out. The fact their sender had never resorted to mailing cryptic, taunting notes such as the ones the Bureau had received recently was a sign.

What kind of sign?

That was exactly what twenty-five-year old Alyssa Edwards Portman was frantically trying to find out. As easy as it could have been to simply assume that maybe the man she and her colleagues had been trying to find for so long was just teasing them. And were Vincent Bishop any other criminal, let alone the more ‘typical’ ones she tended to deal with, then she would be more inclined to agree with her coworkers.

But therein was the major problem. Vincent Bishop was anything but the common criminal who had earned a spot on the FBI’s Top Ten Most Wanted List. In fact, many people at her work - including Alyssa herself - agreed the man was becoming more and more frustrating to deal with. Even still, Alyssa didn’t wish to give up. She was close to discovering something. What that exact ‘something’ was … she didn’t know yet. But the agent felt confident it would be in these letters.

Or … that had been how she felt as of four to five hours ago. Now, admittedly, her mood and morale was starting to dwindle. A worn out breath passed her lips as a light-skinned hand rose and ran through her fiery red locks.

“Maybe Mister Jackson is right? He’s not worth it anymore?”

The mere thought made her grimace. The honest truth, though, was a good chunk of her comrades were getting physically and mentally exhausted when it came to trying to track Vincent Bishop down. There were whispers going around the Bureau about calling it quits and closing all cases against the man.

Alyssa most certainly felt and understood their exhaustion. Here she was, wide awake in her own home, at three in the morning, and the normally determined agent was beginning to feel like the biggest idiot in the world.

Maybe these were just meant to serve as insults to the Bureau whilst Vincent stayed hidden?

An exasperated groan mingled in with yet another deep breath as Alyssa finally lifted her head away, moving her eyes from the many pieces of paper covering her desk. No. There were more to these messages; that much she was certain about. Maybe, however, it was finally time to give in and get some rest?

It definitely sounded like a decent idea. Probably the logical one she should heed.

“Not yet,” she muttered to herself, rubbing any lingering sleep out of the corners of her brown eyes in an effort to wake herself up. Alyssa was close. It wasn’t just a mantra she wanted to believe in. Deep down, she knew she was onto something. There had been a few times she’d almost found answers, usually in the form of hidden messages. If she’d noticed patterns like that, she couldn’t be imagining things.

Nodding to herself, Alyssa leaned down, opened her mini-fridge set beside her work area, and pulled out her fourth energy drink. She had already agreed and promised herself she wouldn’t give up; however, a break from reading the notes, would be a different story. Besides, her eyes needed a break from reading those damned messages.

After downing some of the drink, Alyssa moved the mouse that was connected to her laptop and woke it up from its previous sleeping mode. She then opened a folder that had many numerous downloaded Law & Order episodes and began to play a random selection from her playlist.

Her passion for law enforcement had come from watching the show. It had been something she partook in almost religiously with her parents, particularly her father, ever since she was ten years old. The flashbacks that began to replay in her mind made her smile as she leaned back in her chair and started to watch Law & Order.

Every now and again while the show continued to play, Alyssa would sneak a peek down towards the letters. Her tongue clicked after she failed to spot anything that jumped out at her. By the time the show was nearly half-way over, Alyssa convinced herself sleep would be the best thing to try for after this episode ended. And once it reached the credits, her beliefs seemed to strengthen. It was a bit disheartening in its own rights.

But hey, maybe some rest will allow you to think faster and notice clues you missed before?

Her shoulders shrugged as Alyssa listened to her internal thoughts. They weren’t wrong, mind you. The workaholic side of her had just hoped to find a lead, pattern, literally anything within these messages sooner as opposed to later. Still, considering she had just gotten possession of them today, one more day wouldn’t kill her.

Alyssa nodded one more time to herself and very slowly - a bit begrudgingly even - began to pick up all of the letters and put them in a neat pile. Right before they could be put away into the same file they were placed in, however, they all seemed to slip out of her hands and fell to the floor.

“Goddamnit!” she hissed, inwardly scolding herself as Alyssa knelt down to pick them back up.

But then … that was when she finally saw it.

Wait a moment …

Her heart began to pound as she cautiously rearranged the messages so they were all placed on top of one another. Brown eyes re-looked over the papers yet again … and an excited squeal escaped her lips.

“I knew it!” she cried out happily. “My eyes weren’t playing tricks on me!”

It was an old, but not overly commonly used, trick. If one looked at the last letter of each and every note, it spelled something out. The true message that Vincent was, no doubt, trying to send to the entire FBI.

Meet me in front of the World War II Memorial at midnight on December seventh. It’ll be the last free chance I offer you all to catch me before I disappear for good.
-Vincent Bishop

Alyssa’s heart was rapidly pounding. She’d done it. She’d found the very lead they had all been looking for. Alyssa couldn’t help but feel immensely proud; so much so that she seriously considered calling her boss, Captain Ethan Jackson, up despite the time being very inappropriate. He’d - rightfully so, mind you - scold her for calling him at such an hour.

Though to be somewhat fair, she would likely do the same if anyone else called her around now with little to no warning. Even if that someone was her assigned partner she usually worked with, Trey Holland.

As ecstatic as Alyssa was feeling, the news could wait for tomorrow. Only after her knees began to ache did she realize she had been frozen in her kneeling position, gawking in shock and awe at the formerly concealed message. Alyssa finally managed to stand back up, this time keeping the letters firmly held in her hands long enough to put them away in the manila folder.

With a newly found pep in her step and strengthened resolve, Alyssa eagerly half-walked, half-ran right into her bedroom. Tonight had been one of the longest, but easily the most rewarding, nights of her life. Her hands deftly peeled her casual outfit off of her, and replaced it with a light blue, one-piece nightgown.

Tomorrow would be just as amazing as the evening had been. Finally, she could help lift the proverbial weight off everyone else’s shoulders. Alyssa wasn’t looking to be labeled a hero, per se. Maybe a significant helper in ensuring this case could be properly closed, sure; nothing more, but certainly nothing less.

With her mind being so focused on the next day, it helped remove any lingering adrenaline rushes or sugar highs that had kept her awake for so long. It wouldn’t take more than a few minutes after her head hit the pillows that finally, Alyssa would fall into a peaceful slumber.

RP Tracking Post (Current As of 3/8/2019, 5:03 AM PST):

Who I Owe Replies To:
East [For 1 Thread(s)]

Chevalier
East [For Punisher RP]
Razgriz

RP Tracking Post (Current As of 4/8/2019, 3:43 AM PST):

Who I Owe Replies To:

Chevalier
East [For both RPs]
Razgriz

Chapter 2:

4th December
07:17 AM EST
Washington D.C.
Exact Location: FBI Headquarters

Even though she was running on barely four hours of sleep, Alyssa felt as if she’d had a full night’s rest. Confidence and pride were practically surrounding her figure as she wandered through the halls of her workplace; none other than the very famous J. Edgar Hoover Building. She would give a light wave to every other agent she walked by.

Quite a few seemed to notice her energetic pace, but only few actually questioned it. One of the people who inquired went from walking the opposite way to beside Alyssa.

“So, is this a sign that something amazing happened? Did you finally find a lover?”

Alyssa rose an eyebrow as she turned to look at her typically assigned partner, Trey Holland. Her eyes rolled as she snickered lightly.

“Seriously? That is the first thing you think of with how I’m walking and looking?”

Trey casually shrugged. “It wouldn’t necessarily be the worst. Look, like I’ve told you time and time again, you should treat yourself somehow. If it’s not with a guy, then ---” His head tilted as a curiosity entered his head. “Or … are you more into women? Is that why you haven’t found a guy?”

A bit of crimson appeared on Alyssa’s face as she stared at Trey in a mix of disbelief and shock that he had enough gall to ask such a bold question.

“That …”

She paused for a few seconds, trying to decide how to answer. When the perfect reply came to her, a smirk adorned her lips. “Is none of your business, now is it? I’ll leave that up to your wild imagination.”

A playful look flashed in her eyes for a few seconds before being replaced by Alyssa’s more usual stoic and serious expression.

“But no. The reason I look as excited as I do is much simpler.” She lightly tapped the manila folder in her hands, her grin further expanding. “I found him!”

“No way!”

Alyssa nodded her head up and down excitedly.

“Remember that theory I had? About there being a cryptic message? I found out what it was.”

Trey chuckled softly, gently patting his partner’s shoulders with his hands. “That’s … damn, girl. You really are a lifesaver, you know? Mister Jackson will very likely appreciate this news.”

Alyssa moved her head in an affirmative movement once more. “That is exactly where I’m heading right now; to his office to report this discovery.”

“Awesome. I doubt you’ll need much of it, but good luck. Unfortunately, Ethan stuck me with another task to work on, so I gotta go. But let’s celebrate later today with you breaking the good news, huh? Lunch or dinner? Some sorta meal on me?”

“Sure. I’ll text you later.”

The two waved to one another before Trey pivoted on his feet and continued walking towards his original destination. Within minutes, Miss Portman stood in front of a wooden door. In the dead center of it was a golden plaque, which had the name “Mister Ethan Jackson” engraved in it.

Alyssa swallowed nervously. Her heart was already beginning to race, and she could feel herself getting both anxious and thrilled at being able to offer not just her boss, but the whole Bureau, some well-deserved good news. Slowly, she rose a clenched fist up against the door and, after steeling herself, knocked rapidly three times.

“Come in,” Alyssa heard from behind the door.

A soft sigh elicited from her lips as the young agent gripped the handle of the door knob and entered Mister Jackson’s office. Alyssa’s brown eyes would soon find Ethan’s blue-green ones as she made eye contact and politely bowed her head.

“Miss Portman? You’re here a bit earlier than I expected. But please, sit down.”

Ethan leaned forward, noting how quickly Alyssa complied with the order. Between that and the gleam that hadn’t left her face since entering, it was easy to guess she had succeeded where everyone else had failed. She likely deciphered those irritating notes.

“So, did you find something? That’s what your smile and overall expression is all but screaming to me.”

“I did!” Portman happily replied, setting the folder down and then proceeding to open it. She lined all of the pieces of parchment up so it would help Ethan see the same pattern she did. “He purposely made the last letter of every single letter be the beginning of a message. That’s likely why they were all so short and sounded like complete nonsense; the only part of these memos that ever mattered from the get-go was the very last part of it.”

When Alyssa realized her voice had subconsciously increased in speed - and therefore had doubts if her boss was able to understand her properly or not - she took a few moments to calm herself down. After she felt confident enough her boss would be able to comprehend what she was relaying, Portman continued to relay her findings.

“He’s offering to meet with any of the agents at the World War II Memorial on December seventh at midnight. To quote him, it’s his last free chance he’ll offer before disappearing for good.”

Ethan scoffed. When he observed Alyssa looking taken aback at the reaction, his head moved from side to side. “Not you, Portman. That cocky son of a bitch. He’s never really given us any free chances. Anyway …”

A sight that Alyssa hadn’t expected reflected in her eyes. Rather than proudly smiling, Mister Jackson was … frowning? Grimacing, even. His hands tucked themselves underneath his jaw as he sighed deeply. A good two, nearly three, minutes went by before he carefully began speaking again.

“I apologize in advance. This likely isn’t going to seem fair, especially because you did exactly as I asked, and well before the assigned deadline. But I thought long and hard after you left last night, Miss Portman. The unfortunate truth is … we really have wasted a lot of time, morale, effort, and energy on this guy. We’ve even lost a few great men and women from the times he did resort to murder. Alyssa, I’m sorry … but he’s really not worth it anymore.”

To say Alyssa was shocked was an understatement. Her mouth fell open wide and, if it could, her jaw would have dropped right to the floor.

“But … but Mister Jackson! It’s exactly like you said! I did everything you asked before the twenty-four hours ran out! Shouldn’t we embrace this opportunity?! This would be perfect! We could finally bring Vincent Bishop in and give everyone in the FBI peace of mind!”

Her head frantically moved side to side.

“Please, don’t say we’re quitting. We’re the Bureau! We’re meant to bring people like Bishop to justice! What kind of message would we be sending to the nation or even the world if word got out we were giving up on one single man?!”

An irritated huff left Mister Jackson’s lips. This had essentially been the exact reaction he expected. To be fair, Miss Portman had all the reasons in the world to be shocked and frustrated with him. Her own added logic about how anyone else may react also held quite a bit of truth.

Even still, his voice remained firm as he swiftly replied back, “I’m sorry. Truly, I am. Alyssa, you’re one of our best. These letters, surely you understand they’re a trap that Bishop is setting for anyone who accepts his challenge, right?”

After watching her give an affirmative nod to his rhetorical question, Ethan quickly added, “All more the reason to let him go. He’s not worth putting yourself in grave danger, even if it means accomplishing what we originally set out to do years ago; put him away and ensure he has justice served to him.”

His eyes narrowed as Mister Jackson leaned forward in his chair.

“I sincerely suggest you heed my words and just forget about him. However, if you truly want to go after him, you’ll give your badge and gun up. I also recommend thinking carefully about this. You’ve worked so hard. It’d be a shame to lose your job over a mere Phantom.”

Alyssa couldn’t find the right words to reply to Ethan with. Or, whenever she almost felt as if she could express herself, the words seemed to get stuck in her throat. Hearing her boss dictate the entire Bureau was going to give up despite having found the answer to a difficult riddle was insulting. It felt like a literal slap to her face.

Her body started to move on instinct as she slowly - a bit shakily even - stood up from the chair. Portman’s eyes landed first down at Ethan, lowered to the folder, and then glanced back up to her boss.

Wordlessly, Alyssa reached down and retrieved the letters, placing them back into the dossier.

“Then … if you’re going to make it official and tell everyone else we’re quitting, I doubt you’ll care if I take these, correct?”

Mister Jackson nodded. Although the grimace had never left his face, tinges of guilt could be detected. They simply weren’t strong enough to make him change his mind.

“I … I guess I have some serious thinking to do.”

At this, Ethan couldn’t help but raise his own eyebrow. “You would seriously think about giving your job up? After all you’ve done.”

“If it means keeping my beliefs intact, then yes. I don’t know if I could remain here and feel great about myself, especially knowing we had - still have - the perfect opportunity to catch one of the most elusive men we’ve ever dealt with. And yet … if I let it slip …”

Alyssa shook her head sadly.

“I … don’t think I could view myself as a proper agent if that ended up happening. Good day, Mister Jackson.”

The last thing Portman heard was an irritated “Goddamnit” seconds before she shut the door to her boss’s office. As she began hastily heading towards the parking garage, Alyssa pulled her cell phone out and composed a quick text to Trey.

Don’t bother with the celebrations. He’s going to announce every single case against Bishop will be dropped, and we’re supposed to be fine with pretending he never existed in the first goddamn place!
- Alyssa

Normally, Alyssa didn’t cuss, be it out loud or in texts, emails, or any kind of correspondence. But right now? She was feeling very furious with everything she had just heard. Of all the people Alyssa may have expected to utter the verdict ‘let’s just give up’, Ethan had definitely been one of the last people she expected to hear such words from.

Tears started to prick the corners of her eyes as she exited the headquarters and walked into the parking garage. Right as her hand rested on the handle of her car door, a ding! signaled Trey had replied to her.

Sure enough, a simple fishing around in her coat pocket revealed he did indeed swiftly respond to her text.

Her head lowered as she took her turn to heave a defeated sigh. After weighing her options, Alyssa put her cell away, opened the driver’s side door, and got into her car. She’d reply to that text later. Right now, she wanted, scratch that needed, to head home and do her own serious thinking.

With an easy turn of her keys into the ignition, the engine of her Ford Expedition roared to life. Alyssa easily navigated herself out of the parking garage and soon found herself driving along the streets of Washington D.C., beginning to head back to her house.

Back
Top Bottom