Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What would you recommend for a new person?

Ami

Meteorite
^ like the question there!
I’m new to all of this, but really want to start. Can anyone list Top 10 things i should think about reacting to someone’s post or what should i do during rp?
Thanks!

I don't know if I can give you ten but I can give you a few things.

1. Keep an open mind, you would never know what you like until you give things a real chance.
2. don't give up on the site. Role play is a lot of hit and miss with partners.
3. Don't be afraid to reach out and take the first step.

Hi, I am new here but have been RP'ing for ages.

When approaching someone to do a RP,

* Mention what you like about their ideas.
* Don't change their ideas to the point where their ideas no longer exist.
* Be creative and build the story with them, don't just keep asking "and then what happens?"
* Show in your PM that you can actually express yourself in writing by remembering the above points and communicating. Getting one line PM's isn't very inspiring.
* You really want to be honest with yourself about what you want and are looking for. There is nothing worse then someone saying they want indepth RP's and storyline only to find out they keep focusing on smut and write one liners. So be upfront about whatever it is you are after and look for the right partner not just trying a blanket approach to attract lots of partners.
* Be versatile and willing to try new things. This may or may not work of course but it will help you learn.

When responding to someone's post in a RP,

* Reflect via your character on how your partners post affects you/your character.
* Give your partner something to work with/respond to.
* Details are good but overly long posts can become a chore. Generally 3-4 paragraphs is more than enough for most RP'ers. Although that can vary.
* Make your character lifelike and plausible. Characters that have done everything and have no weaknesses are boring.
* This is a personal like of mine and can vary depending on who you are playing with but describe your characters thoughts and emotions. How are they experiencing the RP.
* Time jumps. I really hate it when every moment has to be played out, this is personal of course and can vary. I am happy to skip over days if need be, I like to keep the story going. Time jumps can be covered in flashback etc.

Here are my keys for this site. Whenever I bump my Request Thread, I get anywhere between four and ten serious inquiries. I've also stuck with many of my same partners despite my two major hiatuses from the site. So I think I'm doing something right.

1 - Be flexible or be patient. When looking for partners, keep in mind that the more flexible and broad your ideas, the more interest you'll get. The more specific you are the more patient you'll have to be for partners.

2 - Be unique. There are a lot of VERY similar request threads out there. Read through a page of em and you'll see. Make yours unique and you'll get much more interest with much less time and effort.

3 - Read all the way through other people's Request Threads. Nothing will get you a quicker no than asking questions they already answered or asking for things they don't like.

4 - Grammar is the easiest thing you can do right in a roleplay. Don't know how many of my friends on this site have bitched to me about dropping a partner cause they couldn't write a readable sentence. Grammar alone will get you a long way.

5 - Be honest and blunt. Dancing around the point or being too quick to please is how you end up in a roleplay you're not enjoying.

Follow those basic rules and you should have a great time on this site writing whatever your heart desires.

Here are my keys for this site. Whenever I bump my Request Thread, I get anywhere between four and ten serious inquiries. I've also stuck with many of my same partners despite my two major hiatuses from the site. So I think I'm doing something right.

1 - Be flexible or be patient. When looking for partners, keep in mind that the more flexible and broad your ideas, the more interest you'll get. The more specific you are the more patient you'll have to be for partners.

2 - Be unique. There are a lot of VERY similar request threads out there. Read through a page of em and you'll see. Make yours unique and you'll get much more interest with much less time and effort.

3 - Read all the way through other people's Request Threads. Nothing will get you a quicker no than asking questions they already answered or asking for things they don't like.

4 - Grammar is the easiest thing you can do right in a roleplay. Don't know how many of my friends on this site have bitched to me about dropping a partner cause they couldn't write a readable sentence. Grammar alone will get you a long way.

5 - Be honest and blunt. Dancing around the point or being too quick to please is how you end up in a roleplay you're not enjoying.

Follow those basic rules and you should have a great time on this site writing whatever your heart desires.

I felt this in my soul.

I'm especially bad at telling people no...

To add my own two cents...Since you specifically asked about reacting to posts/RPs in progress:

1. Read carefully so you make sure to react to everything in a post.
2. Miss something? You can edit posts. Don't be embarrassed. Sometimes you're tired or misread a line. Small misunderstandings shouldn't be the end of the world/story.
3. Keep an open line of communication for OOC questions, comments.
4. Raise concerns right away if something is going in a direction you don't care for. Just because you agreed to a story, doesn't mean you agreed to everything that might happen.
5. Related to above...hash out limits ahead of time, discuss firm NOs so you don't get into tricky territory.
6. Don't let someone pressure you into something you're not comfortable with, but keep an open mind. I have several things that started as a NO and ended up a fave over the years.
7. Discuss post frequency ahead of time. If people know you're going to post once a week v. once a day, it can save some headache.
8. Don't be afraid to tell a partner when it's just not working out. Be nice, and honest.
9. Have fun writing! Grammarly is a nice free add-on that can help pick up spelling errors/grammar issues in the thread post window and let you focus more on content. It's not perfect, but it helps pick up little stuff!
10. BOOP :p

Hi, I am new here but have been RP'ing for ages.

When approaching someone to do a RP,

* Mention what you like about their ideas.
* Don't change their ideas to the point where their ideas no longer exist.
* Be creative and build the story with them, don't just keep asking "and then what happens?"
* Show in your PM that you can actually express yourself in writing by remembering the above points and communicating. Getting one line PM's isn't very inspiring.
* You really want to be honest with yourself about what you want and are looking for. There is nothing worse then someone saying they want indepth RP's and storyline only to find out they keep focusing on smut and write one liners. So be upfront about whatever it is you are after and look for the right partner not just trying a blanket approach to attract lots of partners.
* Be versatile and willing to try new things. This may or may not work of course but it will help you learn.

When responding to someone's post in a RP,

* Reflect via your character on how your partners post affects you/your character.
* Give your partner something to work with/respond to.
* Details are good but overly long posts can become a chore. Generally 3-4 paragraphs is more than enough for most RP'ers. Although that can vary.
* Make your character lifelike and plausible. Characters that have done everything and have no weaknesses are boring.
* This is a personal like of mine and can vary depending on who you are playing with but describe your characters thoughts and emotions. How are they experiencing the RP.
* Time jumps. I really hate it when every moment has to be played out, this is personal of course and can vary. I am happy to skip over days if need be, I like to keep the story going. Time jumps can be covered in flashback etc.
Im new here as well, and Ive also been writing for a long time. This is super good advice and I relate to every single point. Rp can never be a one sided thing. It is my hope that there are plenty of people here that also understand this :)

^ like the question there!
I’m new to all of this, but really want to start. Can anyone list Top 10 things i should think about reacting to someone’s post or what should i do during rp?
Thanks!
I think its important to be open minded and just ask questions to fill in the gap if the role sounds interesting.
What Is it you like to play?

A first post doesn't have to be this tome of information. It just needs to be long enough to set the background and some basic information about your character. You can reveal things as you go a long.

A lot of people write an epic opener leaving no room to add or change things and then write very short posts after that. Sometimes less is more and easier to read as well!

Something I've been noticing a lot lately is people who have 10 plus paragraph request threads but it's all demands andbout themselves.

No ideas at all!! What's up with that??

Back
Top Bottom