Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pathfinder - Peasant Edition

freeko

Star
This is somewhat a troll, but also I am curious at the same time. I have come upon a good bit of material for pathfinder, as well as another game that is derivative of it called Legend of the Shining Jewel. However, I hate these super powered games where no one can possibly fail a skill check because they have 20 skill points to put into everything at every level. Magic items, yeah they wont be happening either. You are all farmers, tavern wenches, and some other mundane workers. You are not knights, you are not heroes, but that minor little problem of your town getting burned to the ground and almost nothing aside from the few survivors of it are left over. You will likely be able to scavenge enough to have weapons and armor, but because reasons none of it will be of a magical nor exotic nature.

Since your characters are peasants, I am going to be gracious and allow 10 points for character build. Starting gold is probably not relevant as you get a weapon and armor along with some basic supplies that you can muster from the carnage around you. The Chaotic spectrum of alignments is banned for the purposes of character creation. I will allow Evil characters, but good luck finding like minded players to adventure with. Also a little butterfly whispered something to me, you might want to have a few 8's hiding on that character sheet. I would suggest a meaningful flaw, but that might give you a meaningful talent in exchange and we do not want that now do we peasants? Also, there will be no third party influences allowed. I could be convinced that someone is not a base class, but the likelyhood is not high.

What the town, village, city, or whatever it was before means very little as now its nothing but a devastated wasteland with burned buildings all around you. How you managed to survive at all is a modern marvel in of itself. At least you were smart enough to stay in hiding long enough to not be seen by the invading forces. Maybe it was not entirely your fault that the building collapsed on top of you. Now that you are on top of the rubble of said building, you see a few other like minded individuals that happen to be coming out of hiding as well.

Interested players may post character concepts here. I have an idea of party size, but I may run two games in conjunction with each other if there is sufficient interest. It is not likely, but still possible, that I turn a character concept down. I plan on running this over discord.

This concept is super interesting! I was actually toying with a similar idea for a 'classless' system for 5th edition and a similar setup. Anyhow, I want in.

I have a few concepts:

First one is Billy, the friendly neighborhood cultist. Basically, they are a follower of an occult god or a demon or what have you, typical warlock/witchy stuff, but they turn out not only not to have their patron's favor, they believe, much to its chagrin, for it to be benevolent. And so they do odd-jobs and random kind acts in hopes to grow his cult, finding little luck, but hopefully some endearment.

A local farmer, self-styled leader of the town militia and wannabe folk-hero.

The Professor; kinda a doctor who pastiche in personality, an old academic that moved to the small town to found a schoolhouse or library ages ago due to a scandal back at the institute he used to work at and became one of the townies.

A Gaston-esque hunter.

This sounds silly and fun. Are classes as normal? And are the 10 points you mentioned for point buy?

I do find this idea promising.

Would gladly play the tawern wench who stayed alive, but not unfucked... Sorcerer, Cleric or Bard in the future if she has any...
Str 8 - Cha 17 ?

Correct, it is 10 for stats to buy, though I am considering looking into starting at a base of 8 and giving a few more points instead of a base of 10.

Classes are as normal, but you will not have a traditional one at the start. At some point it is possible to be trained enough to gain a base class for your character. Archetypes are not likely to happen through normal means however, but I will not close the door on them entirely.

For the purposes of creation, everyone will have BAB +1 to start. That is not likely to change much as levels are gained until you gain access to class upgrades or some other form of outside training.

Skill points are 1 + INT mod (no minimun, so you could have 0 skill points) irrelevant of race. However the few skills you may have will carry over once a class is unlocked.

That's pretty neat! But if we don't have classes right away, how do we determine things like Hp, proficiencies, etc?

Proficiencies.. nice joke. Anyway, I think 8 hp is a good starting point for everyone. That will of course change as your CON modifier affects it.

I c I c. Then count me in, fren!

I think a halfling woman who likes to cook, and searches for her ingredients in the woods could be fun. Slings are a racial proficiency, so maybe she hunted with one.

I have no problem with races. The issue is more with the race point costs, as that would conflict with the core idea of what characters would be within this game.

For a general example:

Type - this does not grant any bonuses, so would be allowed.

Size, Speed - Medium and Normal are the defaults which should be standard.

Ability score mods - HELL NO

Languages - I am on the fence with this one, as most anything will either speak common or it will not.

Resistances - Nope *

Skill bonuses - Nope

Spell Like or Misc Abilities - Another gray area, but consider something like this a 'locked' ability at the start. Anything with a tail, Teiflings as an example, would need to train themselves to use that tail as a weapon as the character has likely not done so for most of their lives up to this point.

* - To go through everything on a case by case basis is just not something I want to really do. This should be somewhat of a guideline toward how races will at least begin the game. Races that have inherent weaknesses, like a Dhamphir for example, are likely to have an ability or resistance to offset that back to a net of 0 race points.

I see I see. So characters would be completely barebones. But what about halflings and gnomes? They're small and slow.

Three people so far have shown a level of interest, and I do not feel that is enough to go forward with the game at this point. I am going on vacation starting monday for a week. If things change by the time I am back, then I can re-evaluate and look at getting things started.

Back
Top Bottom