Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Wholesome Roleplay: Is it worth it?

I'll have to ask @Agnes if they like wholesomeness........ ;)
Yes, I do. ๐Ÿ˜ค

I guess the problem, like other people have said, is finding the conflict to drive the story forward. That's why most of the stuff I write is kinda dark and tragic in tone, but there's loads of sweet moments sprinkled in. I love angst and fluff in equal measure.

Yes, I do. ๐Ÿ˜ค

I guess the problem, like other people have said, is finding the conflict to drive the story forward. That's why most of the stuff I write is kinda dark and tragic in tone, but there's loads of sweet moments sprinkled in. I love angst and fluff in equal measure.
I'm kind of the same. I love both, and even in my fluffy rt, I want there to be some conflict and will just plot out potential angst for the sake of it

I second that. I love wholesome stuff and sweetness, emotion and all the best stuff there. But conflict helps it and makes the sweet moments all the better. Balance is what keeps it compelling

To me, wholesome is no sex at all, and if there is... it's only implied. Stories can work surprisingly well this way. Wholesome in terms of boy meets girl, boy likes girl, jerk in school also likes girl are pretty good too. I like my dark themes. It's almost a signature of mine to have at least one heart stomping moment where something goes wrong. Doesn't have to be the case in all RPs though. Everything going fine and dandy every single day can be a little monotonous though.

Anyone who has been RPing with me knows that I adore wholesome RP's more than anything else. I mean, I'm already depressed enough as it is-- and I get that some people use RP's as way to vent frustration and sadness onto characters (totally valid), but for me I'd much rather RP characters being in love and having wholesome fluff all around. I expect sad points, bumps in the road, but more often than naught the story as a whole will be pretty 'wholesome'. If you haven't tried this kind of RP before I highly recommend it, at least for me I walk away from an RP response feeling elated rather than introspective and 'sad' writing out grief or depression all the time.
This. It simply makes me feel better and brighter. Kinda like a distraction from all the negativity ^_^

The main reason why I don't like wholesome RPs that much is the fact they are usually predictable (not everything, but core dynamics often are) and too tame for my taste.

After RPing plenty of non-smut/not very dark adventure stories, they are fun, but I feel like it is missing something... It doesn't bring out the height of my passion as a writer as much these days. Realizing this, I tend to avoid wholesome.

It's a "me" thing, but I like constant excitement/drama/conflict in RP. That is what inspires me, and the high degree of it is usually found in more dark RPs. Also, if romance/smut is going to happen, my personal interests lean fairly dark or strange by default. I'm kinda sucky at traditional romance too. >.>;

In the end, I look for reasons to write extreme character emotions that wholesome RPs might not be able to provide. I like taking advantage of RP; I can write dark themes that I'd never actually stand for irl, but I still find fun in an artistic/expressive way. In a way, it is liberating to write so unfiltered and taboo.

While I have my preferences, I fully respect those who stick to wholesome RP. There are so many fun stories to tell and dark and/or smut RP isn't for everyone. For many years, I enjoyed wholesome RP until I later discovered what I really like to write.

Last edited:
Wholesome doesn't have to mean G rated Disney fare. You can still come up with non erotic adult stories that are interesting and compelling. Perhaps some might still have some romance and even sex scenes but the plot itself isn't centered around sex or some kind of kink. It can be fun but I still like the possibilities of being able to do a sex scene for example within that if it felt right for the plot. I don't think I could do a "fade to black" for these scenes like one other site mandates because all their RP's are non erotic.

Definitely. In fact if the story is a good one it can be better than an erotic RP where things can become all about the sex and everything else just goes by the way side. Just takes good writing and developed characters.

I tend to be far more interested in the lead up than the finale. So for me it can kind of be like a PG13 or Mature Rated type thing than R or XXX. And sex/kink scenes only remain interesting for so long. Once the characters have sex a once or twice you can really just "Fade to Black" the other times they do it and flash forward to the next scene.

I like the idea of exploring an unlikely character thinking about some type of job that is very different to what they are used to or even thrown in my circumstance to some crazy situation that they now have to deal with. I don't necessarily need to have all the smut/erotica. And I have heaps of ideas that aren't within the Erotic sphere at all.

I enjoy wholesome roleplays. It doesnโ€™t mean the characters spend all day picking flowers and singing songs to each other - it just means theyโ€™re not into extreme/dark stuff. Healthy relationships filled with love, lust and desire can be extremely interesting and last the test of time. They donโ€™t need darkness to thrive and excite.

I've been discussing with my friend how wholesome experiences can often be more rewarding in the long run. While there are certain stories that don't necessarily require it, most are enriched when the characters truly get to know each other and develop a deep connection.

Personally, I find it more authentic for my characters to genuinely care about someone with whom they're going to engage in questionable activities.

Themes like romance, camaraderie, and the pursuit of self-improvement are aspects that greatly resonate with me. Despite the hardships people may face and the trials that come their way, striving to become better versions of themselves each day is essential. In my view, this approach adds depth to characters and allows for exploration of various other themes.

Back
Top Bottom