Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Smut vs Story, a personal poll

Hi all! Father here with a question for all of you in this wonderful Blue Moon community. What really brings you to Blue Moon? Is it simply a drive to create a deep and intriguing story? Or something more sinful in nature? My first experiences with Roleplay were on very open ended PM formats, so I wonder what brings this sort of a diverse community together. Are you here to live out your wildest dreams and darkest fantasies or are you here to just inspire your creativity and spark your imagination? Asking out of personal curiosity.

At first, it was to write and stretch my creative muscles. I've been on this site for quite some time and being able to look back at my first tales and compare them to what I produce now makes me proud. I also went from romantic vanilla to being able to roleplay all kinds of genres and kinks. That is not to say that I would indulge in these fantasies in my own bedrooms, but if my partner has a thing for long black boots with fishnets clinging to the supple flesh of thick thighs and fangs sunk into their throbbing carotid artery, then who am I to not indulge in such harmless writing? My f-list has grown with me and the numerous people I have woven tales with are milestones of fun and learning.

I do also enjoy writing out my fantasies. While I love tales of darkness, fights, conflict, and social boundaries meant to be broken, I also would love a partner with a character that shows love and compassion yet has no problems sexually ravishing my character and does not mind being ravished in return. It often relieves sexual tension for me, helps my all around mood, and helps me get outside of my box. In short, my answer would be both.

Well...the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion, that maybe the strict distinction between story and smut is...Well, not wrong but in many cases a little...flawed.
At least in my case...I never really write something for the sole purpose of indulging in a specific kink or fantasy. Ideally, even a story that consist to 80% of sex scenes, has a plot. And even a story, which serves mainly to get from one lewd encounter to the next is still a story.
The same goes for fighting scenes or tender, romantic moments...Yet no one would say "Yeah, this is 60% romance and only 40% story"

Maybe going on a slight tangent here, but it's late and this lewd spoop feels a little nostalgic, so settle down, kids, the ghost tells a story:
Back in the day (when the world was young) and I got into more...serious roleplaying, I ended up on a (no sadly long defunct) relatively small german forum. The general atmosphere was....rather prudeish, when I started...Not because of a definitive ruleset or the presence of minors (even back then you had to be 18+ to sign up) but more because the admin and maybe two or three users were not really fans of explicit sex scenes (which, with like 20-ish active users tops is a significant amount) but after I and a few other like-minded perverts people joined, there was a (pretty calm and civil) discussion, how to handle the suddenly very popular mature stuff (I admit that I might be not completely innocent in the sudden loss of innocence there^^) and the slightly awkward solution was, that explicitly violent or erotic scenes should be written in red (which led to the pretty neat euphemism "writing red lines" which sounds way nicer in german^^), so that those who liked to read other peoples rps (back then, the whole rping was done in threads) could just skip the red parts (I can't really blame them, we wrote some cringeworthy shit occasionally). Which led to it's own set of problems...Like, when does a scene really get "explicit"?
And just the fact, that two people are playing "Hide the sausage" doesn't necessarily mean, that the story just stops...So if you skip the sex scene, you might miss some relevant plot point...

Anyway, what I wanted to say with that confused story is mostly: I think in every good smut, there is story and in every good story, there is smut :D
(Jeez, everytime I tell this kind of anecdote, I feel like waving a cane..."Back in my day, we wrote our smutty roleplays on clay tablets and threw them at each other")

Thank you for the in depth response Lady Ava. It helps to see the value in the site. I hope to notice such a growth in my own roleplaying qualities. I can see the value in both drives, a good story can be exciting and help the creative side of the mind be engaged, while the smut side can help release the sexual tension that builds up in all of us. I cant find a fault in playing out a partners fantasy, especially if it appeals to your own drives.

I joined in the hopes of meeting both qualities in my interactions, so I can see how people may seek the same.

Thank you for your response Ghost. It seems that the two blend more often than not here. I appreciate the anecdote, it was a pleasure to read and I didnt get the vibe of you shaking a cane at all during it. Smut is fun, but the story behind it can define and drive the encounters.

I came to Blue Moon from a different roleplaying site. (Still very much new to the site.) Blue Moon caters to more mature role players while the site I had used for years the older community was dwindling. As for me personally, I do enjoy role playing in general for the sheer love of creating a story with someone and developing characters. I do enjoy some mature themes although none the less I just merely like to write in general. Role playing for me is creating another world or living out a fantasy for me in regards to writing. I can be creative and not feel restricted.

I want to become a better writer, and to become better I have to practice. I don’t have a lot of creative outlets, but writing is one that I have held onto for years. I’m not a good artist, and I don’t have the desire to become one. I don’t have the patience for arts and crafts either. I love working with someone to create a story. I love trying out new roles, and seeing how they feel and if I like them. I like learning about new stuff (kinks, fandoms, terms, etc.). I also really enjoy being amongst like minded people.

Ally

I like being creative and I enjoy writing. Smut fests tend to bore me as I feel I can just imagine the story myself if that is what I want, I really don't need to go to the trouble of writing it all down even if it might be a couple of lines per post.

I do like smut though however I need a good back story to explore it through a story. Usually the journey is more interesting to me than the main event. For example, I like exploring the characters thoughts and emotions, how they navigate this situation. Just writing a series of sex scenes isn't appealing to me.

One of way of trying to explain it would be to describe an idea I have, it is about two long time female friends, one of them is married and ill, can't have sex with her husband anymore so she asks her friend to be a sexual surrogate of sorts for her. It isn't about the friend just agreeing and doing the deed. It is about how the two of them work through this, the discussion etc. That tends to be what I am more about, I like odd situations but like to try and explore them in a somewhat realistic manner.

I'd like to say that I'm here to exchange literary ideas and writing styles with other partners, but I must confess to a slightly darker, more carnal reason.
Those that know me know I'm a sex slave in real life and my Mistress not only enjoys reading what I and my partners have written, but because my ratio is approx 70-80% smut and my partners often give her ideas and inspiration for additional sexual domination, discipline and BDSM style 'playful' torture

Dixon, I understand what you mean. I don’t enjoy writing it as much as I used to because I’ve had some partners that would go on and on and on never letting the scenes end. So, smut scene after smut scene can bore me too.
However, I love romance based smut and find it beautiful and a good way for characters to fall deeper in love with each other. I like to know what they did to each other. If that makes sense? Lol

I'm not sure what the exact ratio of smut to story would be, in my case, but I've been wanting to get more acquainted with the smut aspects of a RP for awhile now. I always need plot and character development, otherwise things don't have the same impact, but I find that adding in smut not only makes the characters have a deeper connection, but also helps to get the creative juices flowing, so to speak.

Dixon, I understand what you mean. I don’t enjoy writing it as much as I used to because I’ve had some partners that would go on and on and on never letting the scenes end. So, smut scene after smut scene can bore me too.
However, I love romance based smut and find it beautiful and a good way for characters to fall deeper in love with each other. I like to know what they did to each other. If that makes sense? Lol

Yep I get that. I even had a partner write "And she did all the stuff to the set the scene ready for sex" ummmm yeah ok so basically they just wanted to write the smut. They skipped over a huge amount of story and actual scene setting. I dumped the RP.

I think a good RP takes on a life of it's own and when the characters form that bond and connection the sex scenes become hotter. So I do know what you mean.

Story is my smut. I love a good story. I love weaving a good story and great characters and great relationships through the story, with another writer. When the story is good and the characters dynamics are insync, the smut happens naturally in the story lines and makes it even better. I’m not a big fan of smut for the sake of smut, it does nothing for me and therefore, if I’m not into it....you can most certainly tell through my writing.

Story is my smut. I love a good story. I love weaving a good story and great characters and great relationships through the story, with another writer. When the story is good and the characters dynamics are insync, the smut happens naturally in the story lines and makes it even better. I’m not a big fan of smut for the sake of smut, it does nothing for me and therefore, if I’m not into it....you can most certainly tell through my writing.

^^^ So much yes to that. I enjoy smut too, just that story is even more enjoyable. I'm mainly here to be creative, spark my imagination, and partake in cowriting. Getting to dabble in wild dreams and dark fantasies is just the cherry on top of an already yummy sundae.

Yes! It's very satisfying when you and your partner have created an exciting story and the added bonus is hot smut.

Thank you all for your input. I have learned alot about what people on this site look for and perspectives when it comes to an enjoyable writing experience. I guess that when I first posed the question I was being a little to narrow minded on the split between the two.

I came to Bluemoon to get immersed in a good story and practice my writing. Its a little dream of mine to write a novel one day, so I kind of treat roleplaying like practice for it. I think we're all here for the allowance of adult themes, and its one of the things that brought me here too. I still value story over smut, but with other websites that prohibited sexual roleplays, I found it very limiting to not be able to explore those parts of stories. I like that here I can find partners for both non sexual and sexual roleplays.

I don't have a preset idea of how much smut to story I am wanting or think that there should be. I guess it depends on the story really and where it may lead. Some of my ideas require a fair bit of sex or at least referencing sex. Some of them are more about the relationships between the characters and why it is they are doing what they are doing and how it is effecting them.

Unless it was a fairly quick RP where it is all about sex which I tend not to do so much anymore, I don't want a RP that is nothing more than the characters going at it all the time.

I'm not really an expert on the terms but for me I am more into erotica where the stories are about sex but sex isn't the only thing happening. And depending on the RP sex may not happen at all.

I tend to lean more towards story than smut, mostly since I tend to see RPing as a way to help improve my writing. I'm not saying that smut is bad or that I would avoid it like the plague (which may or may not explain my sheer lack of skill when it comes to RPing smut), but if that's all there is and there's no development of characters, or...you know, a reason for it, it's not interesting to me in the least.

Anyway, the long and short of it is I lean more towards story with a "if smut happens naturally, then it's fine, but don't try shoving it in like a book that won't fit in the shelf" mindset.

I prefer the smuttier end of things. Part of me enjoys the idea of a long-term story, but every attempt still ends up coming to a halt, whether it's offline life getting in the way or motivation is simply lost. Short term stories at least finish, and since I'm looking for some sexual heat smut is the way to go. It can absolutely get boring after too much, which usually results in me just taking a break for awhile and coming back in a month.

I like when there's both presented but if I have to choose between 100% snut without story or 100% story without smut, I'd choose story.

I am here because I have wild imagination and not enough money to shoot TV series or movies and not enough talent maybe (or English skills as it's not my native) to attract wealthy producers.

I like to create different worlds and rich lores like in that of Elder Scrolls games or Neverwinter Nights series...

Time to time I do enjoy smug based rps as well, to have ability to imagine things I wouldn't do (or wouldn't even like) in real.

But rp sex is no substitution for me for rl sex. I still prefer rl sex... At the other hand, my worlds created in rps CAB BE substitution for real life boredom

It honestly depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes I enjoy creating a deep and engaging story with interesting characters, and sometimes I just want those characters to fuck each other's brains out.

I just joined up because I'm struggling to find quality RP outlets since (trying) getting back into it, this year. I like a balance of smut to story, but always need some story. The % of smut can vary wildly as long as there's something interesting going on. I 'grew up' on the old World of Darkness group chats, so that will always be my preferred style, but I've seen online roleplaying has evolved more into the forum format, nowadays.

I specifically joined up today because Google brought me here and I saw a few WoD requests, and I hardly ever see those. I couple DMs and group postings also looked interesting. I just always have to be mindful of the MxM opportunity in any activity before I engage.

Back
Top Bottom