Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you listening to? Podcast Edition

Xanaphia

Union Smut Peddler
What podcasts do other members like?

I like:
Smalltown Murder- a true-crime comedy podcast.
Bad Books for Bad People- Deep dives into horror and pulp novels.
I Don't Even Own a TV- Deep dives into a variety of books, but often bad ones.
Citation needed- A deep dives into a variety of subjects, with a major humor slant.
Factually!- With the guy from Adam Ruins Everything. Deep dives into a variety of subjects.

And a bunch of politics podcasts that I don't need to get into, lol.

I am always on the hunt for new stuff to listen to, and right now especially I would love to find a new podcast with shorter run times. Most of mine run at least an hour to two hours each episode, but I want some that are 20-40 minutes apiece, that I can listen to while getting ready for work, and on the commute. Oh, and more female centered ones, with at least half the hosts/cast being women. Looking for shows about books, history, politics (though I probably don't need more of these, unless it's a far left, woman dominated show with episodes clocking in at 30 minutes.)

Southern Gothic is pretty good for some ghost-like stories. Most of the episodes are 20-30 minutes, they go a little into the story and fill in the history around most of them.

The rest of mine are political and history related, so I won't bore you with them!

I’ve got a ton that I listen to, partly because I listen to them while commuting and exercising, and partly because I like them better than television. So, let me just hit a few highlights.

God Awful Movies - three or more atheist comedians tackle Christian cinema.

My Book of Mormon - a never been a Mormon host tries to make sense of the Mormon scriptures.

Monstertalk - a scientific and skeptical look at monsters, done by two hosts that love the subject but don’t believe in it.

Bone and Sickle - folklore and horror podcast.

Opening Arguments - a comedian and a lawyer discuss legal topics.

There’s more, so I may post again later.

Southern Gothic is pretty good for some ghost-like stories. Most of the episodes are 20-30 minutes, they go a little into the story and fill in the history around most of them.

The rest of mine are political and history related, so I won't bore you with them!
I'll check it out, thanks!

And I like history stuff, feel free to lay it on me.

Backstory - covers history according to events from today: BackStory
Ben Franklins World - a revolutionary era podcast by a historian, interviewing other historians
Civics 101 - basic politics and government EVERY American should know
538 Politics - a more neutral take on politics these days
Pantsuit Politics - two women (one from the left, one from the right) who have a conversation about events today

Backstory - covers history according to events from today: BackStory
Ben Franklins World - a revolutionary era podcast by a historian, interviewing other historians
Civics 101 - basic politics and government EVERY American should know
538 Politics - a more neutral take on politics these days
Pantsuit Politics - two women (one from the left, one from the right) who have a conversation about events today

538 is one of my regulars already, but Pantsuit Politics sounds great!

Podcasts are fascinating to me. I always think about the era when people would gather around the radio nightly and there were genuine radio celebrities.

Anyone who likes extreme horror must try Darkest Night. It has excellent production quality and includes a lot of personal material from professional television writers.

I love a lot of shows with independent writing contributors but the quality is far too hit-or-miss to really recommend them.

I'm consistently re listening to 'The Dead Authors Podcast'. But try and keep up to date with 'How did this get made' and 'Good Christian Fun'. I'm currently working my way through 'Garbage of the Five Rings'.

Right now I'm listening to the Chilluminati Podcast. Like the name suggests, it's a chill podcast where they discuss supernatural stuff, conspiracies, aliens, all that weirdness. All in good fun. Quite a few hilariously ridiculous stories too.

Castle Superbeast: Video game podcast from Woolie and Pat after the Super Best Friend broke up. Still a fun time with those goobers.
SuperMega. Just a casual dumb pod with Matt and Ryan from Super Mega.

Outside of those, I flip flop between My Brother My Brother and Me, The Dollop and Small Town Murder

Thanks! I'm officially Watching this thread for new podcast ideas.
Several years back I pretty much listened to all-indie/amateur podcasts, and now I'm very vanilla...very NPR-ish. Like, I'm really enjoying Throughline right now. And Gangster Capitalism.

Joe Rogan is one of my favs. I'm not political at all; I prefer when he has comedians on and they talk about that world, stand-up and honing the craft and the behind the scenes on that. He also has some really interesting, crazy people on and he talks to them like human beings; makes for a fascinating look into some topics that I wouldn't normally explore on my own but are entertaining to listen to Joe Rogan chat about. He's such a nutbar about cryptids. 😁

Recently, he had on Rick Baker, a special effects makeup artist, and he talked about doing the makeup for Michael Jackson's Thriller video. It was great stuff. Reminds me of stories about the first Jurassic Park and Alien, how necessity bred ingenuity; time constraints, lack of funds, using creative shortcuts, ending up making the final product much better than methods that came after it.

Edit 16/11/21: see new post below.

Last edited:
Can anyone reccomend an economics podcast? Preferably a left leaning one, and not a "It's actually a good thing when the 1% owns all the wealth, and taxes are as bad as murder."

Can anyone reccomend an economics podcast? Preferably a left leaning one, and not a "It's actually a good thing when the 1% owns all the wealth, and taxes are as bad as murder."

Maybe The Phil Ferguson Show? Although that’s more of an “atheist financial planner discusses atheism and investing” show than an economics show. But he’s distinctly left-leaning.

Joe Rogan is one of my favs. I'm not political at all; I prefer when he has comedians on and they talk about that world, stand-up and honing the craft and the behind the scenes on that. He also has some really interesting, crazy people on and he talks to them like human beings; makes for a fascinating look into some topics that I wouldn't normally explore on my own but are entertaining to listen to Joe Rogan chat about. He's such a nutbar about cryptids. 😁

Recently, he had on Rick Baker, a special effects makeup artist, and he talked about doing the makeup for Michael Jackson's Thriller video. It was great stuff. Reminds me of stories about the first Jurassic Park and Alien, how necessity bred ingenuity; time constraints, lack of funds, using creative shortcuts, ending up making the final product much better than methods that came after it.

Love JRE. Always been one of my go-tos for podcasting. Love the ones with his comedian pals, too. Always has some interesting folks on it. Also: Sober October? Fuck yes. Buncha nutjobs.

Along the same lines are The Bertcast with Bert Kreischer, Your Mom's House with Tom Segura and Cristina P, and 2 Bears, 1 Cave with Bert and Tom. Love my comedians.

Along different lines, I listen to:
* Redemption Podcast, a Star Wars actual play. It's entertaining, takes place around the Clone Wars saga, played using Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars RPG system.
* Ectocast, a Ghostbusters RPG actual play podcast, revolving around a franchise set up in the DC area. Currently, they're wrapping up their "first season." It's good for a laugh.
* RolePlay Podcast Radio. They usually run a bunch of actual play one-shots, and short campaigns with several different systems.
* Manifest Zone, a discussion podcast featuring the Eberron campaign setting for D&D, where they talk about different topics and aspects about the setting, each episode. That one comes out about once a month.

@xanafi
Can anyone recommend an economics podcast? Preferably a left leaning one, and not a "It's actually a good thing when the 1% owns all the wealth, and taxes are as bad as murder."

Not really so much economics, but I do listen to quite a few Finance and Business Strategy podcasts, and they are kind of left-ish, centrist, or British conservative, which is still left by American standards :)
  • Exponent – Strategic assessment of tech companies. By Ben Thompson and James Allworth
  • Pivot – Strategic assessment of tech companies. By Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway.
  • Recode Decode – Interviews by Kara Swisher, where she grills politicians and entrepreneurs. That she went a bit easy on Carly Fiorina recently, maybe she hopes she'll run against Trump or something.
  • A16Z – Podcast by venture capital (investor) – Andreessen & Horowitz. They talk Left, act Right.
  • Fintech Insiders – Podcast by London based Financial Consultancy. About mainly new technological financial companies, there are very good episodes about social enterprises, and helping people save, and they usually make fun of larger institutions.

I could use some new Podcast recommendations. Especially funny ones with women.

I have not been keeping up with my podcasts, but I’ve got a few that are generally more mental health/psychology:

The Happiness Lab w/Dr. Laurie Santos - researcher at Yale, developed the famously popular happiness course there.

Hidden Brain w/Shankar Vedantam - unconscious patterns that drive human behavior

Ten Percent Happier w/Dan Harris - skeptical news anchor discovers the benefits of mediation!

Deeply Human w/Dessa - psychological/biological/anthropological insight into why we do what we do.

An update on this. Absolutely I do not listen to Joe Rogan anymore and wouldn't recommend it. There was just too much I eventually disagreed with and misinformation being supported on there, it kind of took the novelty and fun out of watching the non-political stuff.

I really like Chapo Trap House, mostly their reading series.

I like secular and atheist podcast call in shows like The Atheist Experience, Talk Heathen, The Line, and Skeptic Generation (I love Vi La Bianca but Eric Murphy sometimes gets on my nerves, lol).
I also like the Mormon Stories Podcast where exmo Dr. John Dehlin interviews critics of the LDS church and gives them a platform to tell their personal stories of being victimized by the organization, or researchers who need a platform to share their findings. The episodes run kind of long but if you're interested at all in an inside look and personal perspective on this repressive billion dollar corporation, a lot of people share very heartfelt stories.

The White Vault - A really well-produced horror podcast with the first two seasons set in an arctic research station. Kind of reminds me of The thing for its isolation. Multiple actors and really amazing sound design.

Front Burner - For my daily dose of Canadian-focused news.

The Verge cast - My way of attempting to keep up with tech and I like the hosts.

Beau of The Filth Column - really like the way Beau breaks down different events and issues. I prefer to watch his youtube channel but the podcast is good as well.

Reconsider - Their tag line is "Politics but we don't do the thinking for you". An interesting political podcast that does its best to just present the information and let the listener form their own opinion.

CANADALAND - Another Canadian-focused news podcast.

Lore - a creepy but really good podcast about dark historical tales. Its also a podcast and book series now.

Radiolab - for interesting science stories.

McAnally's Pubcast - a podcast that is pretty new but it's going through the Dresden Files series a few chapters per episode. They plan on covering the books, short stories, and comics in chronological order.

Off the Husk - Podcast by the Millennial Farmer. Fun podcast talking about different industries connected to farming.

99% invisible - A podcast all about design, I think of it as the design version of Radiolab.

LoreHammer - A podcast focused on the Warhammer 40k universe. Fun if you want to get into some of the nitty-gritty aspects of the lore.

Over the Road - A podcast about long-haul truckers in America.

Operation Midnight Climax - The true story of George White who was involved in some of the LSD experiments conducted by the CIA. He focused on using it on unwitting criminals and civilians. I have not gotten far into this one yet but so far it's really good.

More Perfect - A podcast about the US supreme court and some of the most consequential court cases it heard.

Like Hrairoo I used to listen to Joe Rogan but haven't for the last year or two. Started watching for his episodes with Graham Hancock honestly since I like that guy's theories about pre-history.

I'm listening to Serial Killers and Female Killers on Parcast. I'm into true crime podcasts and they're definitely on my top. I also listen to a Youtube series Criminally Listed which is also true crime. I've always had a deep fascination with crimes when I was going to get my degree in Criminal Justice and those are my guilty pleasure. Not many can stomach it and find it weird so that's why I don't mention it all that much.

Huberman Lab -- Stanford neuroscientist who has all kinds of fun (and really effective) biohacks to improve mood, sleep, health, and life in general.

Back
Top Bottom