Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Temporarily disabling chat

yo is there any update on when it's coming back? That chat was the one place I could make friends.

My problem with chat and discord is people sit around in the chat all day dicking around instead of role playing. It is a distraction. I know members who just go to the chat or discord and don't even bother with the forums or role play on bmr. I would prefer to get rid of both, but people need a place to dick around and be useless. If we got rid of both there would be a large upheaval and people would leave. If we have to have one of these time sinks, I'd prefer the one that does not drain the website resources.

Now I shall Admit, You have many valid points. But the discord is not going away, It is essentially a free resource and some of the staff is fond of it. In reality they will try to keep both. But my opinion is we should drop the chat since it is just an expensive add on. Like I said, one man's opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

I'm with you on this one, Fandomizer. I feel like the chat is a pretty important part of the site. I get that BMR is a roleplay site. That doesn't mean your worth as a member of the community is directly related to how often you RP. Some people are chronically without RPs and they stick around in chat while they wait. It might not be the point of the site, but it is a big part of what holds the community together. I can't use Discord, so I have to go without chat altogether in the meantime.

It's actually that I use a console to access the site and for most of my business right now. I'm between PCs.

This site has been of zero help in finding partners. People ignore you even when you post things that are unrelated to roleplay, so you can't even build a sense of community. I don't even know why I stick around. My point being: I'd never consider donating money and most other people probably go through the same thought process. Improve the service, then maybe people will consider the idea.

This site has been of zero help in finding partners. People ignore you even when you post things that are unrelated to roleplay, so you can't even build a sense of community. I don't even know why I stick around. My point being: I'd never consider donating money and most other people probably go through the same thought process. Improve the service, then maybe people will consider the idea.

I don't know about you, but I get tons of people who want to rp and who respond to my requests. Maybe it's the stuff you want to rp or the things you're asking? I guess everyone has a different experience but mine has been nothing but great.

Well, to me, that sounds less like a site issue and more like a people issue. *Shrug* People suck. There is really nothing anyone can do to make them talk to you or take an interest in what you're looking for. You just make your thread as appealing as possible to the right people and wait. Or go searching for people with shared interests.

Back on topic, I could care less if chat came back. I'll still be here with or without it.

There's a key word in that statement: People.

No amount of system/site changes and enhancements is going to get people to change their behaviour. Asshats will be asshats.

I'm donating simply because I appreciate the amount of effort the staff and admins go to to keep this place running, even though my own roleplaying & storytelling activity is limited due to Real Life constraints.

ON TOPIC: I rarely used chat to begin with. I won't miss it if it never comes back.

When it comes time for it I'll make the donation notice a lot more prominent. Believe it or not there are still people who aren't aware we have a Patreon. How is somewhat beyond me, but still.

Chat will be back. Will give it a shot after we upgrade to 2.1. My project blew up (the part to give pms edit histories so I could let some users edit indefinitely), so I need to get to correcting that, along with some user privacy stuff.

Would it not be more efficient to just use a web host online? Donations could go towards hosting fees but unlimited bandwidth hosts are becoming rather popular.

I was never much for Chat before, I spent many wasted hours on IRC (yes, I am that old) so I am not as much on the Discord as my son is. Though I have used it a little for rps it does help in arranging things for an rp with separate channels for OOC, characters, and diverging story threads. For that its great, but as in many things, if its not your thing then threads and posts here work just as well. Its all in what you are comfortable with. While it would be nice to have it back, I actually started using it a little before it went down, it wasn't as much a driver for me as others since I came to write, then pretty much went on with my day.

Though if it came back I probably have the itch and would make the odd comment to scratch that one.

Would it not be more efficient to just use a web host online? Donations could go towards hosting fees but unlimited bandwidth hosts are becoming rather popular.

...those things don't exist. The one Guilty Pleasures tried to move to had a 2GB database limit (among other limits).

Blue Moon's PM table, alone, is going on 30 gigs.

Just the PMs.

Hey Vek, Just want to say thanks to keeping the lights on the site up.

Have you looked into moving to AWS/Azure at all? If you're looking to replace hardware, nows the best time to look into it.

Moving to AWS would double my costs for zero benefit.

Back
Top Bottom