Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice Temporarily disabling chat

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
Apologies, but it's getting to the point where we are genuinely outgrowing this server.

In the mean time, I will see what I can do about streamlining what I can.

Good luck! And may server never die, crash, or leave you for quieter electrical pastures! From one near ground zero for such things at work (dev-ops/automation/robotics).

Good luck! And may server never die, crash, or leave you for quieter electrical pastures! From one near ground zero for such things at work (dev-ops/automation/robotics).

We have a slave server and a remote backup.

The worst case scenario is my evening gets wrecked >_>

How temporary is the outage expected to be? I get why it's necessary, and that's fine; I'm just curious if you expect it to be over by tomorrow, last for several days, "Until we get more server space", or what.

To echo PK, and to clarify, are we talking a whole server outage or just the chat?

I have 7 replies due tonight, and was wondering if I need to wait.

EDIT. Nevermind. It was explained to me that the chat will just be down while server tweaks are pushed through. Replies and business as usual tonight.

Is there anything we can do to clear up some space? @Vekseid

The site has tripled in activity over the past year, donations have halved. Meanwhile I've had a terrible lack of motivation to address what needs addressing.

How temporary is the outage expected to be? I get why it's necessary, and that's fine; I'm just curious if you expect it to be over by tomorrow, last for several days, "Until we get more server space", or what.

It depends on when I get to the work, to be frank. Though anything I do is temporary at a 200% growth rate without a significant amount of money. I do want to hold out on bleating for a new server suite until the Cooper Lake processors (with hardware Spectre/Meltdown fixes) come along. That was supposed to be late last year but is now looking to be early 2020 >_>

At the core of things, the servers are getting quite old and they need to be swapped out. Meanwhile the site has exploded in popularity (and Elliquiy is recovering, also, though SMF is far more efficient than Xenforo is). There is stuff I need to do, as well, that I haven't gotten to because bleh.

The patreon lists the required amount per month at $600 USD. At the moment we're only at $156. If you can spare the money and enjoy your time on the site I highly recommend it. With how much time I spend on the site and how much entertainment I get from it I think it's only fair to chip in a bit, especially when Vek is so kind about running everything for us. How much would you pay for a game or a trip to the movies? If you get more entertainment out of the site per month than you would paying $10 for a movie then I would encourage you to donate here and that goes for everyone, not just you Fandomizer. Donating is easy, and if you can afford the $10 a month and want to see Blue Moon continuing to succeed I couldn't recommend it enough. At the moment we only have 21 people contributing to the patreon but every bit of money helps from those that can afford it and that enjoy the site.

Also please note, I'm in no way affiliated with the site when it comes to making money despite being an Officer. I volunteer my time and money to the site because I love the community and the enjoyment I gain from being here. Take this as nothing more than the honest opinion of another member that enjoys their roleplays same as any of you.

And remember the cardinal rules :

"1) If money is tight for you, do not donate money.
2) If money is tight for you, do not donate money.

BMR is and always will be free. Your life comes first."

But it is as Junior says, if you love Blue Moon as we do AND can spare $10 a month it will help greatly. If you can't spare it, know that we understand : )

While patreon is set up for a monthly subscription you can pay for the one month, and then immediately cancel after billing so that you're only charged for that month.

Ah, so no way to donate randomly, gotcha.
I didn't know if Vek had anything else but Patreon set up.
Because I'd love to help but I don't want to set up a month, cancel, and repeat every time.

If there any way to donate money as you're able, or just the monthly payments?

I have a Paypal, but you need to PM me for. May put it up for approved peoples.

The site has tripled in activity over the past year, donations have halved.

How much fuel does the ship need per year to avoid sinking?

I'm more financially secure than I used to be so I haven't overly worried about it. At any given second 200-500 active posters are staring at the pages I host here, I can make things louder as needed. ("BMR/E has a Patreon!? I didn't notice!")

A safer way than just sharing PayPal (which I understand one wouldn't want to share publicly, due to the whole chargebacks issue) for singular donations could be Ko-Fi.
Ko-fi

Vek, we appreciate you keeping things going despite the hecticness. If you need help, let me know. I went to school for web design and am pretty decent at coding. Also, if you'd like to pm me your PayPal I can try and donate a little tomorrow or next Thursday.

The amount of space they use is effectively zero. The amount of space most things use is effectively zero. The database drive is 240GB (SSD) and the profile posts are a few megabytes.

Guys, while the chat feature is neat-There is Discord now. Can just hop onto that-download the app on phone or laptop, or use the browser version. If it's using up too much server space, it's not a bad option to migrate to using Discord.

Some people prefer the chat over the discord, myself included. Some don't like Discord in general. It's an option, but not an option for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom