Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

✧ 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔉𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔬𝔡𝔡𝔢𝔰𝔰 ✧【𝔈𝔯𝔢𝔟𝔲𝔰 𝔵 ℭ𝔥𝔢𝔳𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔯】

Chevalier

𝔇𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯𝔬𝔲𝔰
WD5kHqf.png

. : 𝔊𝔬𝔡𝔡𝔢𝔰𝔰 : .

ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀs
ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴛʀᴀɴsɪᴛ ᴀғᴀʀ
ᴄʀᴏssɪɴɢ sᴏʟ's
ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ɢᴀᴢᴇ
ᴠᴇɴᴜs sᴇᴛs
ᴀʙʟᴀᴢᴇ

. : : .

ᴍᴀᴛᴜʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇᴍᴇs ᴀʜᴇᴀᴅ
ᴇʀᴇʙᴜs x ᴄʜᴇᴠᴀʟɪᴇʀ

W9u9xJU.png

In the far regions of the known world exists a place where not even the sun dare tread. A land of infinite shadows, a realm shrouded underneath a veil of darkness and mist. Its true name had been long forgotten, though its legend served as a constant reminder to those who may one day wander there. Perhaps the most well-known of these tales is the tragedy of the fallen Goddess, who was cast down by the other Gods and forced to live among the world of mankind. Within the tallest spire the Goddess resides, guarding troves of treasure seized from her fallen enemies. It is said that the Goddess' greed is insatiable... and many have foolishly traveled to the Land of Shadows believing that the treasures could be made for themselves, paying dearly with their lives.

SgQYrqb.png

bt31kio.png

Several silhouettes pierced through the midnight fog, each step disrupting the thick veil which clouded their visage. With the mortal eye, it was difficult to see more than five paces ahead, their vision obfuscated by the darkness and the foggy mist that surrounded them. The group had traveled deep within the Land of Shadows now, a place where only the most foolish or desperate souls dare wander. Among the tired group marched a party of nearly one hundred, the very last of Princess Ashlynn's battered army. It was with this group of hardened warriors that Ashlynn sought to reclaim the throne that was rightfully hers, but as determined as their group was, the odds had been stacked firmly against her.

"We should turn back, your Grace." An armored woman stepped forward from the mist. She was a slender figure, donning heavy armor and ashen hair which falls below her waist. Her helmet is adorned with ceremonial feathers, signifying her role as a member of the Imperial Royal Guard.

At the helm of the party stands Princess Ashlynn, with flowing, violet strands. In the absence of the sun, her auburn kaleidoscopes glowed an otherworldly, crimson hue which perforates through the thick fog. She turned to her loyal companion, seemingly unburdened by the desperate situation at hand. "We must press on, Lady Charlotte." Indeed, if they turned around or tried to retrace their steps, they would be lost in this fog forever. No, Ashlynn knew that they had only one option: to press forward until they found salvation... or death. "Make sure nobody is lost in the fog. I feel that we are coming close."

"As you command, my Princess." Lady Charlotte bowed as she withdraws back into the line. There was some clamoring in the rear, no doubt the remainder of Ashlynn's party were beginning to question her sanity in leading them to the far corner of the world. Wars were won with armies, not on fables used to scare the children at night.

The hours had been completely lost on the group. Just how long had they been moving for? There was no sun and from within the fog, it was impossible to see the moon above. The group marched for what felt like an entire day, until a sprawling figure could be seen out in the distance. "Look! It's a castle!" One of the armored warriors in the rearguard exclaimed. As the group approached, the towering spire became clearer, reaching up and into the sky above. Located atop the tallest mountain, it was quite a sight to behold.

"Set a temporary camp here." Ashlynn commanded as the group came to the base of the mountain. "Be ready to leave at a moment's notice. I will return soon." The Princess tightened her grip upon her spears as she began to ascend the mountain, using the long shafts as walking sticks to assist her.

"Your Grace! You can't just go alone like that!" Charlotte hastily attempted to chase after her, but quickly lost her footing on the steep slope, stumbling backwards.

Ashlynn doesn't pause for a moment, pressing onward. "Watch me," she retorted confidently from above.

. : : .
What seems like another several hours pass as Ashlynn ascended the mountain slope. She noticed her visage clear as she transcended the blanket of fog that hugged the ground below. Though her body had become well formed due to many years of training and warfare, she began to feel her muscles beginning to tire and becoming sore as she reached the top. "No wonder nobody comes up here," she cursed underneath her breath as she finally came face to face with the castle's front gate. The gate was massive and had it been closed, would have taken the largest of battering rams to breach it. Luckily for Ashlynn, the entrance seemed to have fallen to the elements long ago, a wide opening for her to pass through. With each spear at her flank, Ashlynn was able to walk inside the castle, the dark halls embracing her as she entered.

The Princess took several steps forward into the dark halls of the castle. She couldn't see anything, but she could feel the presence of another watching her with curious eyes. "I am Princess Ashlynn Elyse, the true heir to the throne of Aurelia and the Lady of Dupont," the Princess respectfully bowed to the darkness as she introduced herself, crimson gemstones glowing brighter in the complete absence of light. Despite the sign of respect, her spears are still clasped firmly in her hands, as if preparing to defend herself at a moment's notice. "I come to humbly beg for your assistance in claiming the throne... in saving my people." She waited several moments for a response, but when only met with silence, the Princess angrily slashed her magic spear across the ground. As the bladed tip of Lunastra skidded across the floor, several sparks flew through the air, igniting a wooden beam that lay at her feet.

As the small trail of light entered the room, Ashlynn could better see the figure that was standing in front of her. "Ves'anya Tak'aaratos," Ashlynn knew the legend of the Fallen Goddess well, a story her father had told her many times as a child. While few ever believed of the tale, Ashlynn's faith had never wavered. "I beseech thee for your assistance. My kingdom has gold, diamonds and silver. I offer all of these to you for your protection and guidance." It was a simple offer, motivated by Ashlynn's knowledge of the tale. But she would learn quickly that life was never such a simple affair.

SgQYrqb.png

Last edited:
2j4Em1L.png

THE SEA IS WINE RED // THIS IS THE DEATH OF BEAUTY
Wine Red - The Hush Sound.

6XQhxMv.png

Once upon a time, a castle rose tall and strong atop a great mountain, protected by a halo of stone. The town was small and idyllic but teeming with life and laughter and ruled by a just monarch, the kingdom prospered. From goats, mules and sheep, they made their livelihood, trading pelts for sugar and oil along a well-worn path winding down to the base. Merchants sang their wares in loud, jolly tunes to herald their arrival as their mules trotted up, up, up. The villagers would sing with them, an ever-welcoming community of peace and joy. The kingdom had no army to protect them, only walls and people armed with sickles and hoes. War was meant for kingdoms far across the lands, meant for kingdoms below the mountain but up here, everything was peaceful.

But peace never lasts, and the fog crept in slow but sure. The merchants began to sing their wares in loud, nervous tunes to ward away the prowling beasts that made the mountain their home. Paths began to crumble, mules and merchants falling to their deaths. Foul smelling flowers bloomed from rotting corpses and bones, inviting terrible creatures to burrow deep into flesh, soil and rock. Fleshy abominations without eyes and gaping mouths lined with teeth, they consumed anything they could catch, bursting from the bedrock only to disappear into the earth moments later. Fewer merchants braved the great mountain and those well-worn paths were soon obscured with debris. The pelts were scarce and the milk thin and sour for the beasts found goats, mules and sheep to be easy prey. Soon, no-one dared to approach the mountain and the beasts made the mountain theirs.

Once upon a time, a prospering kingdom fell to ruin and all that remained was a skeleton of stone.

6XQhxMv.png

“My lonely kingdom.” A woman slender and fair languished, stretched out like a grand feline atop a bed stuffed with goose feathers, naked as the day she fell from the heavens. Blankets of silk and furred pelts surrounded her like a luxurious nest, coiled around her waist and ankles. The woman toyed with a crystal hand mirror, crimson nails tracing the smooth edges sensually as if stroking a lover. She angled it down and her reflection smiled back. Dark silver hair fanned out beneath her, curling over slim shoulders and blanketing the pale snow of her skin. Hooded eyes of sapphire peered beneath thick lashes, following the slight curve of her nose to the sultry curl of her lips. “Your lonely kingdom.” She said to her reflection, a throaty laugh spilling forth as she tucked the mirror away. She lay there for a few seconds more before rising from her bed, padding to the open window.

As usual, thick fog seeped around the castle like a great serpent, ghosting over what remained of the walls. Vesanya watched with amusement as smoky tendrils crawled up the spire in a futile attempt to reach the top only to dissipate halfway with a soft sigh. She could see faint pinpricks of light burning through the shadows and this time, it was the Goddess who sighed. The rumors surrounding these lands had been lost for so long that nobody remembered there was a kingdom. It was simply a land of shadows and dead things and tales of great treasures. Perhaps they were travelers simply making camp to pass the night, or perhaps they were already digging into the earth frantically. With mild annoyance, she remembered how difficult it was to be rid of those monstrous worms but it had to be done; they would have devoured her hoard if left alone in the dirt. Beasts dared not roam too close, which was a pity. They would have been invaluable in dissuading even the boldest of adventurers.

Vesanya turned from the window. It was always dark in her castle, but she could see it all. The heap of glittering gold in a neat pile followed by the kaleidoscope of gemstones, colors of this world and colors with no names, they sang of great wealth. One, in particular, was her prized treasure, plucked from the arms of a stunted creature still snoring. A stone near the size of her head, frozen veins mapped a thin web across a surface of burnished gold and scarlet. She bent to cradle it in her arms, her fingers flitting over it curiously. It was light for its size, almost hollow but it pulsed with a soft warmth that soothed her. She set it back down gently before draping a robe over herself loosely though she left it untied. Centuries ago she roamed her halls naked, sneering at the simple cloth those humans wore but in time, she began to like the way silk felt on her human-made skin, whispering down her slender form and soft as a gentle breeze. With a final roll of her shoulders, she shook her hair out and took to the spiraling stairs.

6XQhxMv.png

The hall was a barren wasteland, kept only to ward away potential thieves. Rotting beams and rubble decorated the dusty floor and small spiders skittered between the cracks. Vesanya watched as a woman struggled through the entrance of the castle. She licked her lips. Well now, what a pretty little thing. Following the introduction was a bow so formal and stiff, the Goddess almost laughed. This was not the first time a human has come to her for aid, and it certainly wasn't the first time a human has caught her eye. Beautiful, she mused. But no, she cared not for the petty squabbles between humans. Castles rose and fell in the blink of an eye and soon, this princess would be nothing but another pretty dead thing. But ever one for theatrics, she remained silent, her lips curving into a smile as the woman continued to plead her cause. She knew the easy frustration humans were inclined to and she was curious to see how it would play out this time.

"Oh?" It slipped out without warning as the woman lit a small flame with her weapon. Even more curious, her name echoed throughout the hall. Ves'anya Tak'aaratos. A heap of syllables not spoken in a very long time, a name threaded only in legend and rumor had it that a great dragon with snarling teeth would descend upon any who dared utter it. But this woman was bold and spoke it without hesitation. Commendable but futile. Her offer was less than nothing. If she wanted gold, diamonds and silver, she would simply take it. Vesanya might have turned the woman away but she was curious.

"Which kingdom might this be?" Vesanya finally stepped forward, closer to the burning wood and to the princess. "There are many kings and there are many queens," she tilted her head to the side, regarding the woman with unashamed interest. "There are many princesses too." Another step, any closer and her robe would catch fire. "Princess Ashlynn Elyse is not a name that has crossed my ears... ah, but you know me, do you not? Then you must know that what you offer is a pittance for my protection and guidance." Those spears were of some interest to her and she might have taken those, but there was another prize she had her eyes on and they travelled down the slope of the princess' neck to her armor. Her eyes, her hair, Vesanya took it all in as she stepped around the small fire to loom over the princess, a hair's breadth away.

"Surely there is something else you can offer." She lifted her hand, seeking to card her fingers through the princess' hair. "Something that does not exist in this land or the next. Something that has never existed." Vesanya smiled.

"Offer me this and I will give you your kingdom."

6XQhxMv.png

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

From the darkness the Goddess was revealed, gravitating closer with what Ashlynn interpreted as a curious gaze emblazoned into her eyes. As expected of a Goddess, her form was nothing less than enchanting, eliciting a minor pang of jealousy from the mortal that stood before her. The Princess watched as the captivating figure strode closer, listening attentively as she spoke. Her stern, yet melodically soft voice echoed throughout the desolate, abandoned halls of the castle before finally gracing the Princess' ears. "A...Aurelia," Ashlynn's voice hitched for a single, fleeting moment, an occurrence that was rather foreign to the headstrong and proud Princess. "The Kingdom of Aurelia," she affirmed, studying the Goddess with an equal level of interest.

The Princess straightened her posture as the Goddess moved closer, moving around the brimming fire beneath their feet. She listened as Vesanya spoke of the unfamiliarity in her name, hastily discarding the Princess' offer as being inadequate for her service. "I don't think I understand," a look of confusion formed across Ashlynn's fair portrait, scarlet flames watching the Goddess navigate dangerously close to her. If diamond, gold and silver were not acceptable forms of payment for the Goddess' assistance, what was it that she sought after? As the Princess' mind raced for an alternative form of compensation to sate the Goddess' price, she noticed an unexpected movement approach from the corner of her visage.

Ashlynn's eyes recoiled slightly, watching curiously as she felt slender digits suddenly pour into her violet strands. She stood still as her bangs were gently pushed from her face, the soft touch of fingers fanning through her hair a feeling that was completely foreign to the Princess. Something that didn't exist in this land or the next? Perhaps the Goddess was speaking in riddles? "What is it that you desire, if not treasure?" Ashlynn muttered softly, still unsure of what the Goddess was suggesting. Proud eyes stared up at the taller figure as her mind searched for what exactly she could offer Vesanya instead.

"Whatever it is that you seek, you only need to name it." Ashlynn spoke confidently, knowing full well that without the Goddess' support, her life would soon be forfeit. She was desperate, though her unwavering stance dared not display weakness for the figure that stood before her. Perhaps she desired something more exotic than gold or diamonds. Whatever it was, Ashlynn had no choice but to promise it. "If it is within my power, I will give you what you desire and more. You have my word," she remarked finally, though her words were still burdened with heavy uncertainty, it was the only choice she had given the situation she found herself in.

Pray it be a promise that she would not regret.

SgQYrqb.png

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

"The Kingdom of Aurelia." Vesanya murmured as she wove slender digits through those deep purple locks, silk falling like fine wine between her fingers. Her robe shifted, pooling moonlight thread around her ankles as she bent slight at the waist. Even as the princess spoke, the Goddess' lips were inches away from the woman's cheek. A slight inhale revealed an incense of salt and days of hard travel, of the smelted metal of her armor and smoke. There is something else, Vesanya mused. An underlying hint of something sweeter beneath the sweat and dirt. It would not trouble her in the slightest; she was close enough to taste it. But Vesanya was nothing if not hospitable; it would be in poor taste to make her new guest flee in embarrassment.

"Now that is the question, isn't it?"

The Goddess stepped back, at last, having sated her curiosity for a time. "If not treasure, what do I desire?" She did not oft speak in riddles or tied tongues, she was simply having her bit of fun. She padded past Ashlynn, and away from the burning wood. Fingers of light spilled from the fire stretched thin but it could not reach the darkness she melted into. The rustle of her robe was the only indication of her presence as she stretched her arms above her head, baring the slender slope of her neck and shoulders to the blind. The vibrant blue of her eyes cut through the inky black, flashing in wild amusement as she pushed the silver of her hair from her face, draping it all into a waterfall over one shoulder.

"I have treasure," Vesanya said lazily. "I'm sure you've heard the tales, a pretty little thing like you." Her footsteps were light but audible against the cold stone. She began to prowl the perimeter, circling the woman like a ghost. "Treasures unfathomable to the human eye. A sword that can down an entire mountain is rusting amongst the rest. A calcified phoenix skull sits on the floor as a drinking cup. I have diamonds the size of your head and enough gold to fill this entire hall." Ashlynn might feel the semblance of a touch across her cheek, a gust of the softest sigh passing her lips but Vesanya remained untouched to the mortal eye.

"I have everything I could want for and more."

Despite the finality of her words an idea struck her, sudden like a bolt of lightning and the Goddess almost laughed. The woman has come to bargain with pennies for a kingdom. It would be simply rude to dismiss her as a beggar princess. So she swept forward, quick as a hawk from the skies, her fingers curling around Princess Ashlynn's jaw in one fell swoop. Her grip was gentle but firm, her lips parting softly as she purred. "You haven't been very convincing but I will give you a chance. If you can tell me what I desire, I will hear you out. If you give me what I desire, I will give you what you desire, princess."

With that, Vesanya let her go. As she passed by the fire, it choked and spat cherry-red oysters, sputtering to a thimble of flame. "I am a patient woman," she called past her shoulder, her voice ringing like a clear bell and into the vastness of the empty hall. "Come and find me when you're ready." With that, she made her way back up the winding stairs of the great spire. In her grand bedroom of treasures, she lit wax candles that smelled of ancient smoke, thick and heady as she released her body from the loose silk. She let it lie there as she reclined on her bed, slipping the mirror back out with a smile.

And her reflection smiled back.

bt31kio.png

Ashlynn stood idle as slender fingers danced through her locks, the gentle touch was admittedly a pleasant, however strange feeling. As the fingers carefully intertwined themselves upon her now disheveled locks, there was a strange harmony that the Princess couldn't quite comprehend. It was as if the warmth in her cheeks was rising, a strange feeling that wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but foreign nonetheless. Curious eyes watched as the Goddess' portrait hovered dangerously close to her own, the soft breath that flowed from her lips tickling the flesh of her cheeks.

"Now that is the question, isn't it?"

Ashlynn's eyes furrowed in visible frustration, not understanding the Goddess' riddles. She was a Princess, not a telepathic nor a witch, how was she to comprehend what the Goddess desired? Such games were lost upon the Princess, who always found her answers at the tip of a spear rather than the tongue. "I..." her fingers tightened their grip upon her spears as her mind struggled to find the answers that she desperately sought after. "I'm not sure what it is that you want..." she admitted with a heavy sigh, watching as the Goddess spilled away from the light and withdrew into the darkness. Though Vesanya had disappeared from the light, Ashlynn had little difficulty tracking her movements through sound alone. The warrior Princess was well attuned to her senses, capable of fighting most opponents blindfolded if necessary.

The Princess listened carefully as the fallen Goddess circled her, describing her most prized possessions. As the rhythmic pattering of footsteps drowned into her thoughts, she pondered what exactly she could give a Goddess who seemingly had everything. She searched desperately for an answer to this riddle, a conclusion to these maddening questions which plagued her mind. Before she could find the answer she clamored for, the Goddess suddenly surged forth from the darkness, claiming Ashlynn's chin between her teasing fingertips, eyes carefully watching the Goddess' own as each one studied the other's expressions. That feeling emerged once again, the heat in her chest and cheeks rising as those sultry eyes reached deep down into her soul. It was as if with a single gaze she could feel her heart being plucked from her chest.

Upon hearing Vesanya's challenge, Ashlynn felt the pressure take hold. She would need to come up with an answer, one that would satisfy the Goddess. Think, Ashlynn! Think! It seemed that the Goddess had everything, any possession the Princess could possibly offer would be nothing more than an insult to the Goddess. She watched helplessly as Vesanya faded back into the darkness, disappearing from her visage once more. It was then that the epiphany had struck, a moment of understanding from within her. She hastily followed after the Goddess, navigating down the ominous halls until she came across a staircase which led upwards. Ascending the stairs, she wandered the various parts of the uppermost floor until she found an open door beckoning her to come within. Upon entering, she could see Vesanya sitting down before her, the soft candlelight illuminating her alluring flesh and all of the treasures that surrounded her bedside. Ashlynn blushed at the sight placed before her, helplessly gazing at the beauty that sat upon the bed. But there was no time to gawk or to admire the Goddess' incomparable grace.

"You possess all of these treasures... yet you have nobody to share them with." Ashlynn began confidently, stepping forward cautiously into the candle's light. "I own nothing compared to you, but I have people who adore me. To them, I am their treasure... their future Queen." Though she felt confident in her answer, the anxiousness boiled deep within her. If she was wrong, then her journey would have been for naught, her quest failed before it had even begun. "You want somebody to care for you... to adore you." Ashlynn lowered herself to her knees, placing down both of her prized spears down beside her. "I will be your treasure," Ashlynn remarked suddenly, bowing her head down before the Goddess. "Please accept my humble offering, I have nothing else to give to you but my life."

SgQYrqb.png

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Vesanya turned the mirror left and right, idly playing with her hair as she waited, for even she could not deny that was exactly what she was doing. Waiting to see if the princess would abandon this chance, waiting to see the answer the woman would procure from her mortal brain. The stained glass pane rattled in its frame as a deep wind howled outside, beating ethereal fists against the spire and the blanket of emptiness loomed eternal. The travelers would not know if it was day or night. The Shadow Lands rejected the sun's light at all hours, its radiant gaze unable to pierce the thick fog that plagued her kingdom. The twin moons fared no different but she could see them, two pregnant spheres lounging in a bed of stars.

My lonely kingdom, the Goddess thought once again, a phrase she was oddly fond of.

But her mind wandered from her reflection to the delicious morsel idling just below. A woman of great pride and strength but that light flush paired with a wrinkled brow of confusion told Vesanya that she might well be dealing with a woman of great chastity. That was not unheard of with princes and princesses, but certainly, none of her past lovers had come to her unmarked. Long fingers slid down the column of her throat, stopping just above the base where she recalled maraschino cherry marks sealed into her skin by lips and teeth and tongue. A soft sigh emerged and she arched her back, the mirror falling to her side, cushioned by the bundles of blankets and fur. But determined footsteps stayed her hand and crystalline blues flickered.

She crossed one leg over the other as the princess emerged from her open door, her rose-red. The candles were subtle enough, tinging the walls in a soft orange glow and painting odd shapes and shadows on the high walls. Vesanya knew the effect she had on mortals and always used it to her advantage. Every move she made was a natural flow of human-made flesh and muscle, the sound of skin on skin paper-thin as her fingers drifted down the length of her body. Lower, lower... until both palms made contact with the bed and she pushed herself up. A smooth fall of silver hair concealed one breast but left the other bare as the rest of her.

"Welcome to my humble abode, princess."

When Princess Ashlynn began to champion her cause with sweet honey, Vesanya allowed her to continue without interruption. When it was all said and done, a chuckle bubbled forth from her throat like water from a creek. "Mm, how very bold of you to assume so much." The Goddess' visage betrayed nothing but coy amusement. She stretched her arms up and above her head, her spine curving like a cathedra and watched as the woman kowtowed, bearing a striking resemblance to a holy priest in prostration before an altar. Another laugh escaped her at the thought, though it was empty of unkindness.

"It is true I reside in this castle alone, but what use would a human's life be when they are but dust within a blink of the eye?" Vesanya wanted to tease the princess a little more, draw out this little dance and keep her on her toes, but a mortal's time was short and wasting it on trivial words would be borderline malicious. She smiled and her shoulders rose in a small shrug. "Well spoken, Princess Ashlynn," the name rolled off her tongue sweetly, drawing the last little bit into a low purr as the tip of her tongue brushed the roof of her mouth. She shifted forth and rose from her bedding, casting tall shadows on tangerine hues. Taking the few steps necessary to close the distance between her and the kneeling woman, Vesanya captured her chin between a finger and thumb, dragging the princess' gaze upward.

"I have treated with humans before," Vesanya said softly, fine flecks of dark cobalt gleaming in her brilliant blue eyes. She leaned in closer, her breath ghosting against the woman's lips. "Prove to me that your life is forfeit."

Show me just how far you're willing to fall.

Last edited:

Ashlynn watched cautiously as the Goddess approached, once again claiming her chin between her digits as her gaze was averted upwards. Her eyes were graced upon the Goddess' brilliant form, exposed but without any shred of humiliation in her stance. Vesanya harnessed an enchanting beauty that would be unparalleled by mere mortals. While the Princess was quick to offer up her own life as compensation for her crown, Ashlynn knew from a lifetime of battle that it was seldom wise to place all of one's cards upon the table. As portraits hovered dangerously close to one another once more, Ashlynn's hand slowly moved upwards, taking Vesanya's exposed wrist into her hand.

"I don't think so." Ashlynn remarked defiantly, "I will be yours once you fulfill your end of the bargain... and not a moment before." Her hand tightened its grip upon Vesanya's wrist, anchoring the Goddess firmly in place. She would find it difficult to escape the warrior's ironclad grip, her scarlet eyes glaring up at the Goddess with unbridled determination. If her life was truly valuable to the Goddess, then she would not squander such value by offering herself so readily. No, the Goddess would have to work in order to claim her newfound treasure. After allowing her words to linger for a moment, the Princess would cautiously swat away the Goddess' hand from her face before once again taking hold upon the shafts of her spears.

"Hear me well, Ves'anya. You may have weapons that can cleave mountains, skulls of legendary creatures and diamonds unrivaled in size. But you do not have me." The Princess rose from her position, standing confidently before the bare Goddess. Vesanya's greatest weakness would be her curiosity... her loneliness... openings that the Princess would relentlessly exploit to her own benefit. "There are many kings and queens... princes and princesses. But none of them are me," she flashed an assured grin, "I'm sure you have already found my predecessors lacking... and I assure you my successors will be but the same."

In an action all too reminiscent of the Goddess, Ashlynn turned for the open door that stood behind her. "I am a patient woman," she teased past her shoulder, stopping for a moment so that she could lean against the open door frame. "Come and find me when you're ready," she moved to make her exit, but stopped just before she disappeared and could begin her descent down the stairs. "I suggest you don't dwell upon your decision for too long, lest your treasure wither into dust." With that, the Princess made her way back down the stairs, moving through the halls before finding herself back at the entrance. The humble flame which had vividly danced and illuminated the center of the room moments prior had now fallen back into nothingness.

Ashlynn retraced herself back to the entrance, leaning her spears against the cracked stone walls of the Goddess' abode before finding a place to settle. Finding a broken table with only three legs, the Princess sat upon its overturned skirt, reclining backwards against the wall behind it. She crossed her legs, her feminine fingers pushing her disheveled, violet strands back into their proper places as she awaited the Goddess to finally emerge. Now it was Vesanya's turn to bring an offer to the Princess, or risk losing her newfound treasure forever. If anything, it had been a risky move for the Princess, but the best strategists knew when it was time to play their hands.

"So, Ves'anya. What will you do?" She mused quietly to herself.

SgQYrqb.png

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

From the Princess' grip, warmth bloomed from the spot, spilling into her veins and staining the skin a pretty pale pink. Vesanya was a Goddess, but her body was mortal and bruised just as easily. She did not try to shake the Princess away, only observing with mild curiosity, burning eyes dancing scars through her skull. Her expression was still, betraying nothing as the woman spoke. But she was not expecting such blatant defiance, not when mortals have fallen to her feet heaping high their praise. She would take the clothes off their back and they would thank her for it, offering their belongings to their newfound altar, imposing her likeness on marble and stained glass windows. So when she was released, she found herself speechless as her very own words bounced back to her.

"But you do not have me."

Those words slipped down her spine, hot then cold, then hot again. Has she been denied before? Surely so. But she could not recall the last time, try as she might as she cast an anchor into the vast sea of memories. Faint recollections bubbled to the surface only to shatter like crystals. But this woman, Princess Ashlynn... her face, her hair, her eyes branded on the back of her eyelids, on her lips and tongue. She desired the human, that much was plain, but she would not be played so easily. Vesanya smiled to herself and took back to her bed, crawling lazily between the sheets, the silk whispering against her skin and spilling moonlight in the crib of her hips.

Sighing, the Goddess brought her tingling wrist up to her nose, eyes fluttering shut as she inhaled softly. She traced the mark left behind with her lips, murmuring sweet nothings against the bruise. The Princess' teasing face floated before her, turning to melt away into dust. She opened her eyes and slipped from her bed one final time. Through her drawers, she rummaged, slipping on a simple black dress, backless and swirling midnight at the ankles and wrapped a belt around her slender waist. Lace decorated her neck and a coat of flowers and peacock feathers adorned her shoulders. Crystals studded her earlobes, dangling like miniature chandeliers. Vesanya applied the final touches, gathering her hair and twisting like a mistress at a loom to pin it loosely at her scalp with two hairpins of gold.

A soft hum reverberated from her chest. Vesanya loathed to leave her treasures unprotected. She could leave only a simple warding spell in place of her absence, coating her belongings in ancient magic that would leave it unseen to the naked eye. The rest left buried beneath the tower she had no concern for though she did hook a pouch of gold and silver, the currency of many kingdoms, at her belt. The pulsing stone she stroked fondly and to the rest, she blew a kiss and clicked the door shut behind her. Another spell was cast with a languid wave of her hand before she descended to where her newest treasure awaited.

It would have been an hour, perhaps two, that she kept the princess waiting but Vesanya saw her now and her smile returned. "You're a plucky little thing, bargaining with a Goddess." She waltzed right up to Princess Ashlynn, reaching for her hand to press a chaste kiss at the knuckles. "But I will have you," she murmured against the bone, something lurking beneath the deep blue of her eyes as she looked at the woman beneath her lashes. There was nothing stopping her from metamorphosing into the hideous beast of legend and snapping the princess between her drooling jaws. The thought was powerful, the black of her irises contracting briefly before the Goddess stepped back. There would be plenty of time, the roads long and tiring from here to there. Beasts will be enchanted to return to the Shadow Lands without the Goddess' presence stopping them.

"Alas, you have me in your palm." She swept into a low bow, unnecessarily dramatic. "I am under your spell. Command me, princess."

Within the embrace of the Shadow Lands, time seemed to descend into a standstill. Ashlynn could seldom track the hours that had passed waiting, perhaps it had been two or three, but it did not matter. She spent the time gazing out the front of the castle and into the evening sky above, picking out the constellations that had been associated with the gods. She wondered for a moment from which star Vesanya had been plucked, cast down into the realm of mankind for her insatiable greed. It was often said that shooting stars were the gods falling from the heavens. Vesanya's star must have been among the brightest, or so Ashlynn surmised.

Ashlynn's thoughts were finally interrupted by the return of the Goddess, who shifted closer before capturing the Princess' hand into hers. "A kingdom in exchange for I. Dare I say that you claimed the better deal from this arrangement," she retorted cleverly, a slight hint of sarcasm dribbling upon each word. As she felt the Goddess' plush lips press into the back of her hand, Ashlynn could feel her heart flutter in delight, a smile forming upon her own lips as Vesanya finally agreed to her terms of the deal. It would be a heavy price to pay for her crown, but it was a price that she was more than willing to pay so that she may one day fulfill her true destiny. "You will not be disappointed, I assure you," she replied, watching as the Goddess bowed before her new master. The thought of one day betraying the Goddess passed briefly through her mind, the tip of Lunastra piercing the Goddess' mortal vessel before she could retaliate in kind. But the Princess was too honest for that, her conscience and strong sense of justice holding her to her bittersweet promise.

She would give herself to the Goddess, but upon her own terms.

The Princess swooped up her spears, jumping off of the table and planting her feet back upon the floor below. "We must depart immediately, before my retinue begins to worry," she turned towards the gate, waiting for Vesanya to follow before beginning the long descent down the mountain path. Though moving down the mountain was a far simpler affair than ascending it, Ashlynn's mortal body was drastically approaching her limits. It took another two hours for the pair to reach the base of the mountain, back into the foggy veil which hugged the earth below. As Ashlynn and Vesanya found the bottom, they could see a humble formation of tents in the distance.

"Your Grace! You've returned!" From the fog, a familiar silhouette beckoned. Lady Charlotte waved toward the Princess, until she suddenly noticed the presence of the one beside her. The armor-clad warrior quickly reached for her scabbard, her hand hovering over the hilt of her sword.

"Stay your blade, Lady Charlotte." Ashlynn interjected, stepping between the Goddess and her most trusted guardian. "This is Lady Vesanya. You will treat her in the same manner that you would treat me, for she is your superior now."

"Y-yes, my Princess. As you command." There is a pang of jealousy in Charlotte's voice as her eyes befall the Goddess' enchanting form. "We've prepared your tent, though we do not have an extra one for Lady Vesanya."

The Princess rolled her eyes at the newfound information. It was a less than ideal condition, given the circumstances. "She will stay with me, then. I must rest for a few hours before we make the journey to Dupont." Ashlynn turned towards the beauty at her flank, scarlet gemstones eyeing the woman carefully, "I trust that is acceptable to you?" She waved her hand through the air, dismissing Lady Charlotte as she led the Goddess into camp, where several dozen tents had been erected by the remnants of Ashlynn's army. The camp had been fairly quiet, no doubt the soldiers taking their much needed rest after a long journey. At the center stood a tent more majestic than the rest, with crimson velvet and the tapestries of the Royal House Elyse draped across the sides. Pressing through the curtains, a lone, wax candle sat upon a folding table, with a rather spacious bed taking the center of the makeshift quarters.

"It's not as impressive as your castle. But I'm sure you'll learn to make do." Ashlynn remarked, eagerly placing her spears down before grabbing the pitcher that waited upon her tabletop. She poured two goblets of crimson wine, offering the first to her new companion before taking the second into her hands. "Aurelian Merlot. I hope it's to your liking," she mused before taking dainty sips from her cup. She settled herself down upon the edge of her bed, watching the Goddess with keen interest. "I'd never thought I'd be sharing my bed with a Goddess."

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Vesanya could only chuckle sweetly. "Oh, sweet little thing. It is for me to decide whether I will be disappointed or not." Nevertheless, she abandoned the thought that such a thing could come to pass. The Princess Ashlynn had already proven herself different from any recent mortal she has treated with. Princesses were all the same, dainty women in dresses and silk slippers with soft, warm features. This Princess was soft and warm in a different way, the same sort of warmth that radiated from cooling steel and volcanic bedrock. The same sort of warmth that exploded in the belly and ignited that clawing hunger at the back of her throat. Watching the Princess hop nimbly back onto the stone, Vesanya folded her arms loosely below her chest. "Indeed, we musn't keep them waiting," she inclined her head and glided after the Princess.

It had been many moons since she'd last descended down the mountain and she had forgotten how dreary everything was. Skeletal trees sprouted at odd angles, the path steep and crumbling. She could smell rotting flesh and hear buzzing insects as the fog clutched at their ankles. But she never offered the human princess aid, knowing that if she wanted it, Ashlynn need only ask. Vesanya praised the woman silently, it was no easy feat to head up and down these mountains in a single day and one misstep would most certainly spell a mortal fall. All the more reason to keep a close watch. The Goddess herself seemed unaffected by the journey, treading effortlessly upon the safest spots as if it had been mapped into her body. Her eyes were not on the ground but on the figure leading them all the way to the camp. Oh, how easy it would be...

Yet another surprise awaited her at the foot. What might she have done had the warrior drawn the blade to her throat? She had no weapon save for her terrible transformation and her body was frail. She was defenseless, on the surface. Cocking her head, Vesanya hid a wicked smile at the perceived envy beneath a cupped palm, turning as if to cough politely. Princess Ashlynn was certainly popular and the thought sent another lick of fire through her veins, possessed claws raking at her ribs. She kept her face still. "Of course. I would make a bed of dirt and rock if you commanded it of me."

The Goddess regarded the warrior briefly, a well-kept face and long of limb, nice to look at. How terribly droll. "My thanks, Lady Charlotte." Her voice was smooth as velvet cream but that was all. She kept her special song for her treasures alone. Her eyes were cold and her face might well be a mask carved from porcelain. "I will be sure to take good care of our Princess Ashlynn." Our, she thought, and a dark storm flashed across her gaze and banished within a second. It would not do to provoke the Princess' followers and they will learn in time to whom their Princess pledged her life to. Lady Charlotte was but another figure in the mist, banished and waved away with a blink.

Vesanya swept through the camp without pause, only taking in what she needed. Fields of war held no interest to her. They reached a tent fit for mortal royalty, erected with fine sturdy material. She swept her fingers over the fabric condescendingly as she ducked inside. The interior was nothing to write home about. Certainly, cozy but everything was a warm backdrop to the woman sauntering toward the table. The Goddess took a couple more steps forward to the desk, running a long finger down the smooth side of the candle. "It will do," she mused, turning to accept the goblet with a small word of thanks. She brought it to her mouth, sweet red slipping past parted pink lips. She did not break eye contact with the Princess, draining the wine in one, smooth tip of the chalice. Sharing a bed was but the first step across a yawning cavern. She near wrinkled her nose but steadied herself.

"Indeed, I have been told the experience is simply... divine," Vesanya said softly, her voice a dangerous chanteuse. She approached Ashlynn with soft steps, framing the woman against the bed as she dipped at the waist. She placed a slender finger beneath the woman's chip, tipping it upward gently. She was close enough to see the red whorls in her eyes and she saw the stars expanding in her peripheral. The Goddess leaned forward brushed her lips chastely across the woman's cheek. "Fear not, princess." Vesanya chuckled quietly. "I will not share your bed tonight, or tomorrow or any other night." A heartbeat, a pause. "Not until you truly desire it," she uttered against the warm skin, a ghost of a smile printing an imperceptible tattoo down to the princess' jawline before she pulled away and set her emptied goblet onto the table. "I will observe your camp and your followers so I might better understand the situation you've found yourself in." A finger tapped at her lips thoughtfully. "It certainly must be dire if you were so willing to chase a fairytale." With that, Vesanya was halfway out of the tent before she stopped.

"Do I have your permission, princess?"

Will you shackle me to the earth?

bt31kio.png

The Princess sat idly upon her bedside as Vesanya drew closer once more. Curious, scarlet eyes turned upwards, watching as the Goddess matched her height. Yet again, the Princess' chin was claimed between slender digits, which caused the Princess to wonder briefly if Vesanya found something particularly captivating about her chin. "Oh?" Ashlynn was admittedly suspicious, for the Goddess had been so eager to claim her prize just a few hours ago. Perhaps Vesanya had learned that Ashlynn was not just some precious stone, something that could simply be worn upon a ring and forgotten. "Well, that is certainly surprising," paused, her cheeks flushed by the unexpected touch. There was certainly an enthralling aura around the Goddess, the seductive grace behind each movement causing the Princess' heart to dance upon each, tender word.

"Very well. Your first task will be to observe and tell me of your findings. A fresh eye may serve us well right now." The rest of the wine flowed between parted lips before she discarded the empty chalice atop the nearest surface. "Oh... and one more thing, do try not to cause too much trouble," she added with a coy smile etching itself across her portrait. With that, she watched as the figure departed from her visage, only after noticing how warm her cheeks had truly become. Her hand reached upwards, her fingers tentatively drawing where Vesanya's lips had graced her jaw. Oh my, what has gotten into me?

_____
From beyond Ashlynn's quarters, the camp had fallen relatively silent, soldiers keeping to their hastily erected tents. From above, the wind howled, its cadence reverberating against the crest of the adjacent mountainside. "What keeps you up at this hour, Lady Vesanya?" From the fog, Charlotte emerged. She was clad head to toe in her heavy plate armor, which hugged her slender form despite its thick, lamellar construction. Her breastplate was adorned with the dents and scratches earned in battle and a keen nose could smell the ever-lingering scent of blood. "Well, if you have nothing on your plate, you could walk with me. I'll be making my rounds until I'm replaced soon." She moved between the tents, beckoning the new Lady to follow suit.

"The situation isn't good. The Princess has always been optimistic, but this is the first time we've been defeated in battle, by our own people, no less." The feathered crest that sat atop Charlotte's helmet flowed gracefully as she moved, her eyes drifting cautiously about the camp. "We set out with eight thousand on a campaign into the neighboring Kingdoms. But there are less than three hundred of us now." Piercing through the fog, two figures emerged from the opposite direction. Two women, donning the same style of armor as Lady Charlotte, the uniforms of the Imperial Royal Guard.

"Captain!" One of the women approached hastily, her voice hitching from breathlessness.

Lady Charlotte placed her hand upon the younger woman's shoulder, "What is it? Are you two okay?"

"I... I think there's something out there. Lady Helena and I were checking the perimeter and we strayed too far from camp. We could hear things... growls from the deep." The other knight explained. "I don't think we're alone out here."

"Vesanya." Charlotte's eyes beamed towards the only woman who may possess answers. "What's out there?"

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Vesanya swept into a bow at the Princess' orders. "As you wish." The blue stars of her eyes danced, equal parts mocking and teasing. Even in the warm candlelight, she pinpointed the light blush coloring the woman's skin. It was a game she liked to play, the rules a closed book for her and her alone. Her participants, willing or not, occupied the space between the rising sun and dipping moon, never more than a second's recollection away. It encompassed her being entirely and Princess Ashlynn would be no exception. With enough wine and sleepless nights, the Goddess might find herself ghosting through the tent.

Ah, but patience.

She waited but for a moment before exiting entirely to inhale the deep, wretched smell of smoke and steel. Her cloak ruffled in muffled protest against the mournful wind, a tent rattling ominously on its last wooden legs. Soldiers and squires alike hid their curious gaze behind visors and downcast eyes, fluttering upward only when the Goddess sailed by. She cast smiles here and there with easy lips and one warrior dropped the bowl of soup he cradled in his lobstered hands. A quiet chuckle escaped and she moved on just as quickly. It was a desolate sight to be sure but the Princess' followers did not look so much dejected as they did simply exhausted. The Shadow Lands was not for the faint of heart and these warriors did not lack for courage, that much was plain.

"What keeps you up at this hour, Lady Vesanya?"

"Greetings, Lady Charlotte." Vesanya shrugged her coat closer, the feathers wrapping tight around her shoulders. She did not feel the cold and the wind swept past her ankles with nary a greeting. "What hour would that be? I can't seem to find the moons," she meant only to tease gently but it came out in a cold snap like ice on a frozen lake. Observing the warrior again, her judgment settled remarkably similar to opinions prior: simple, pretty, bathed in blood and utterly unconvincing. Nevertheless, she supposed she should try and make nice. So the Goddess painted a genteel smirk on her face and continued. "I am simply observing the remnants of Her Grace's army." Vesanya considered declining Lady Charlotte's company but acquiesced at the last possible moment. Her goal was to gather as much information as possible and the soldier likely had a better grasp on the situation than her assumptions could.

What she was told painted a vivid story of desperation, an unsurprising conclusion. "I see," Vesanya mused. There was little and less three-hundred men could do against the great forces of a kingdom determined to keep their master throned. Even more demoralizing would be pitching brother against brother, sister versus sister. Mothers and fathers draining the blood from their muscles to keep their babies safe. "Who sits on the throne now? What are their numbers? Horses? Fantastical beasts? Do the commoners love their king or queen?" Her questions were endless, her curiosity thoroughly piqued but before she could continue her rapid-fire interrogation, she was interrupted by a duo of equally plain soldiers.

Believing Lady Charlotte was to be relieved of her duty for the night, Vesanya cast her gaze over the camp once again. It would be difficult to spur the camp into action but not impossible. She was not a great tactician nor did she make great speeches for the masses. She wondered, not for the first time, what Princess Ashlynn wished of her. If it was to raze her kingdom in dragon fire, then there was a looming problem in and of itself --

"Vesanya. What's out there?"

"Hm?" Her attention divided, it took some seconds to grapple with what Lady Charlotte was asking her. "Beasts birthed from the bowels of hell itself, I believe." Even her eyes could not pierce through the unnaturally thick fog and all she could hear was the howl of the wind. "Long ago they made these lands their kingdom until they were sent away with their tails between their legs. As I am no longer present in my castle, they've returned to reclaim their throne." She tucked a loose strand of silver behind her ear, the jewels glittering at her lobe chiming softly as she turned. "Some say they have jaws as wide as a man is tall, others say they possess four eyes and six legs. Rumors, to be sure, but the darkness of the fog makes it difficult to see what's really there." The Goddess shrugged. "There is little we can do except hope they are not drawn by the reeking scent of fear."

A howl shivered through the air, close enough to touch. A horse nickered nervously. Vesanya smiled.

"Well, there is little you can do."

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

The Lady Knight had raised a brow when Vesanya spoke about the hour. Indeed, the moons were shrouded under a thick veil of fog and mist, their visage limited to little more than the confines of their camp. In the back of the knight's mind, a single word that dare not leave her lips floated vividly: Smartass. Lady Charlotte had not expected Vesanya's artillery of questions, each one seemingly more condescending than the last and it wasn't long until Lady Charlotte was beginning to harbor a disdain for the new arrival, whose faux, cordially spoken words still dripped with frost and acid.

"The Princess' uncle, Roderick, now sits upon the throne," Lady Charlotte replied, her voice surprisingly devoid of any personal contempt. "Across the nation, they could potentially assemble an army of thirty thousand. The mounted knights alone would make short work of this camp. However, it is questionable whether the nobles will even answer when Roderick calls for their armies. I would guess that it would take a year for the usurper to appease the nobles and solidify his rule." If, however, the Princess took longer than that, then her claim to the throne would soon be buried underneath a mountain of bribes and deceit.

"Oh, the commoners love her. But what farmer would raise a pitchfork against a man backed with armies in the thousands?" Lady Charlotte shook her head, "No, the peasants will not rise until the Princess takes the throne."

_____

It was only after the arrival of Charlotte's fellow warriors that the situation became more alarming. Vesanya's descriptions of foul creatures lurking within the Shadow Lands brought the knights to high alert. They stood still at first, each scanning the nearby fog for any sign of one of these beasts. The eerie silence was eventually broken by a howl that surged through the air, reverberating throughout the camp and sending the warriors recoiling in shock. "Lady Helena, muster the men!" She barked, the familiar sound of steel flying from its scabbard bleeding between commands. "Miranda, Vesanya, with me!"

Running through the camp, the three figures dashed towards the source of the sound, which came from the opposite end of the camp. The screams of men could be heard as the trio came closer to the source of the commotion and from the darkness, the creature had been revealed. Towering twenty feet in height, the lumbering creature took the shape of a dog with three heads attached to its grotesque body. Each head moved vigorously, canines tearing through the tents and feasting upon the flesh of men. "What the hell is that?!" The Knight shouted, stunned momentarily by the horrifying sight presented before her.

Unlike her peer, Lady Charlotte did not pause, instead surging forward with her the hilt of her blade clasped between her hands. The massive head came crashing down upon her, death missing her by mere inches as the horse crushing jaws found only dirt and air. Moving underneath the creature's great form, she dashed her sword against the monster's legs, steel slicing into flesh and drawing blood. Though brave, a warrior of her size stood no chance against such an otherworldly creature. The beast raised its leg, finally punting Charlotte across the field like a dog thoughtlessly kicking its toy. The armored knight crashed into the nearest tent, her breastplate cracked from the great blow.

"L-Lady Vesanya! Stay behind me!" Her voice quivered, no doubt watching her superior be defeated so easily sent fear crawling up her spine. Yet in the face of overwhelming odds, she stood her ground, watching helplessly as the beast took notice of the two. Each step upon the earth caused the ground to tremble, the creature's massive heads leaving a path of destruction in its wake. Between them, some soldiers attempted to try as Charlotte did, but each one met horrifying fates as they were ripped between demonic canines. "You should run, my Lady! Find and take the Princess to safety!"

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

"How unfortunate."

The Goddess had seen such creatures from afar but never so close and vulnerable. She felt strangely calm, a crimson warmth washing through her body, all the way down her spine and to the tips of her fingers. Pounding steps squelched through the muck as the ghastly howl raised hell. She could see more shadows lurking deep in the fog behind the three-headed creature, the beast frothing from its trio of jowls. Legend foretold of a similar canine which guarded the mouth of the Underworld -- as if death needed guarding. The silhouettes moved in unison, pulled by unseen strings as their brethren ripped through the ranks.

Vesanya applauded Lady Charlotte's bravery, stupid as it was. The knight had some skill with the blade, she observed, almost as if she were watching a coliseum fight from the safety of the gallery. For a quick breath, she thought the woman might stand a chance only for the warrior to go flying through the air, her fall cushioned by the leather. She raised her voice but Lady Charlotte was unmoving and another knight took her place only to fall like ragdolls. Distracted as she was, the Goddess cast her gaze once more to the thick, seeping mist, trailing wisps of ink following the almost imperceptible snuffles as they shoved their snouts against the dirt, rooting for something... something...

The cloyingly sweet and salty scent curled through her again and she brought her wrist up to her nose. She could very well stay and meet her demise at the jaws of this murderous beast, but she found it odd that the Princess had not been roused from all this commotion. Howls loud enough to circle the moon and back, loud enough to split the eardrums of any mortal close enough to smell its slavering breath. She had no power over this one, not in this form that bruised and cracked so easily. Certainly, she might dig deep into her stomach, her lungs and her pulsing heart for that sliver of greed and rage. Certainly, she could match beast for beast and tear it limb from limb. Certainly.

Pushing what little trepidation she had deep down, she mustered a smile, drawing close to the trembling warrior remaining. "Fear not," she soothed, brushing her hands over the woman's pauldrons. A honey-gold light dripped from her fingertips, coating the enamel in a soft, prismatic shimmer. She pressed a gentle kiss against that dirt streaked cheek, whispering words no mortal tongue could pronounce. The warrior would find herself emboldened and almost brazen, her fears swept away by a wave of courage. But against those vicious claws, her armor was but paper and the Goddess almost felt sorry, but at the very least she might die unafraid.

"I will find our Princess."

Vesanya hurried away, leaving the knights to their fate. More and more soldiers streamed past her to their death, taking up spear, sword, and shield to ward away the beast and those snorting creatures... they looped around and through the tents, blunt teeth digging into fresh, fallen bodies. The dying and the dead, it mattered not to the beasts so long as there was flesh to feed on. They sought the sweetest of blood, heaving their heavy, lumpy bodies to where the massacre was greatest, feasting after the hellhound's leavings like the parasites they are. She almost shuddered at the thought of those things getting into her room of treasures, almost considered leaving the Princess to return to her tower, or perhaps take the Princess...

She carded her hand through the flaps of the tent, calling softly from the outside. She could see the waning candlelight dancing on the ground. "Princess Ashlynn." Curiously, she could not hear the screaming or snarling. The treacherous fog must blanket such sounds, she realized and with a queer chill trickling down her spine, she could not hear the snuffling either. "Princess Ashlynn, your camp is under attack by a great beast. It has already torn through your ranks. Lady Charlotte... is gravely injured."

Vesanya stepped inside. "We should flee with the survivors."

bt31kio.png

Upon hearing the Goddess' soothing tongue and feeling the gentle press of lips against her cheek, the invigorated Knight felt the quivering in her legs cease... her beating heart steadied. She tightened the grip upon her sword, her resolve steeled in the very face of death. "Thank you," she flashed the strange woman a pleasant smile, as if the knight had suddenly come to accept her grotesque fate. Indeed, it was better to die with valor in one's heart than fear and Miranda would forever be thankful for the Goddess' gift. The lumbering creature drew notice of the pair, moving ever closer as Vesanya had abandoned her side to locate the Princess. Shimmering in the darkness, a single sword prepared to defiantly challenge death once more.

___
Solemn, auburn gemstones had rested for only a fleeting moment as chaos hastily embraced the camp. Ashlynn had become quite accustomed to the sound of dying men, jolting upwards as her vision attempted to make sense of the disarray. By the time her senses had focused, the throes of bloodshed had ceased and her eyes found only the single candle that illuminated her tent. Cautiously, the Princess rose from her bed, claiming the shaft of Lunastra between her hands as she moved towards the entrance to her tent. It was then she could see a silhouette in the darkness, a familiar voice that was beckoning her name.

It was Lady Vesanya, stepping forward through the entrance as her soft voice filled the Princess on the situation. "It seems a Princess cannot claim even a moment's rest," her voice was devoid of fear, for she would prove herself a treasure that would not bend or break. Her cadence could only be ended with the beating of her heart and nothing less. "Flee?" Ashlynn ran her hands through her hair, pressing the disheveled, violet strands backwards. "How will I be able to fell the giant beast if we flee?" The warrior princess took hold of her twin spears, her eyes glimmering with an unbridled desire to kill.

"Come, Ves. It's time to prove yourself worthy of possessing me." Ashlynn stormed through her tent before moving through the camp in the direction of the commotion. Upon seeing the hulking Cerberus, Ashlynn did not recoil. Instead, a mischievous grin etched itself across her soft portrait. She had stood against death many times before and each time had shown it that destiny was superior. "A magnificent creature. Perhaps I should have offered it my heart instead?" She sent a teasing glance over towards Vesanya who stood at her side. It was alarming that the Goddess had not made any attempts to defeat the beast herself. Perhaps the legends had been without merit?

Combing through the field of battle, Lady Miranda and Lady Charlotte were nowhere to be found. If her most valiant knights had fallen in battle, Ashlynn would indeed have faced a major setback. Rampaging through the camp, one of the heads finally took notice of the figures that stood defiantly in their path. It spun its body into the direction of the two women, three heads each preparing to ravage the Princess between oversized canines. "Come boy! I have a treat for you!" Ashlynn laughed as the beast began its charge forward. The earth rattled each time massive paws sunk into the dirt, the creature hurriedly closing the distance as it punched through the fog.

Kicking the tail end of her lance, she spun the ancestral spear through the air before catching it into a reverse grip. Leaning backward, she took careful aim before rushing forward and hurling the spear forth. Magia glided through the air, the tip of the spear glowing a vibrant, sapphire hue as it pierced the night sky. The spear flew with precision, piercing the central skull of the Cerberus and killing the head before it could bring its mouth down upon the Princess. A streak of blood fell from the sky, the remaining heads howling in pain before swiping its paws upon the figures beneath it. "Move!" Ashlynn pushed the Goddess out of the creature's path, but in doing so gave herself no time to evade. The swipe connected with the Princess, throwing her across the field and into the dirt.

As she skid across the ground, she felt her grip upon Lunastra weaken. The great spear flew from her hands and embedded itself into the open dirt. Cursing underneath her breath, the Princess pushed herself up from the ground. The beast recognized the threat that the Princess presented now, eyeing the desolate spear that lay between them. Yet, the creature's size meant that it would be in range to stop her from reclaiming her weapon.

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

She closed her eyes and remembered.​

A name whispered in the light, spilling shadows and gold into the cracks of cognac spires and rivulets of molten coin. A golden thread connected to all the wealth in her great temple, sending tremors through her spine at any disturbance. An inkpot by her side crafted from gold blood was poison to anyone else who touched it, filling trenches with sweet, addictive nectar. The personification of wealth and greed tapped her glowing nails against an ornate desk, blinding light shining from the pits of her eyes. Boredom, suffocation, desire, they welled up like a weeping wound and gushed across the mountains of treasure. A gold feathered quill scratched at some parchment woven from silk, jotting meaningless numbers and taking stock at a rapid pace. Not from just the vault, but from the world below. A single bronze coin a farmer earned, inscribed in immortal ink. For that was her task, until the end of days.

"Move!"

Wholly unprepared, the Goddess snapped out of her reverie, stumbling over dirt and discarded bodies, near falling flat on her rump but she survived the challenge and regained her footing. She heard the dense thump of Princess Ashlynn smashing into the soiled ground and her eyes flashed. This was why mortals didn't live very long, they were foolish and hard of head and heart. Always rushing to their deaths as if they had something to prove. She tutted and clucked her tongue, dragging flesh across the sharp points of her canines. Her brow furrowed in disappointment. The Princess could have very well left her to die (though she wouldn't have actually died) but then again, the woman needed her for her kingdom. A wry smile etched itself on her face - she was used to being needed but never truly wanted. A sigh echoed deep in her belly and swelled to her lungs. Very well. A dead human was no treasure worth keeping.

A Goddess of flesh and bone she might be, stripped of her powers as she was, the old magic never truly fades.

Vesanya took a breath, then another and another. She lifted both hands where pinpricks of gold gleamed from the pale skin and uttered words unknown to the tongue of mankind. Her legs trembled at the effort as she walked forward and the gold became a spool of gemstone coloration, a prismatic wonder that threaded into the beast's remaining skulls. The remaining two lowered its heads in confusion, its eyes swirling with color, pupils dilating as a piteous whine screeched from its demonic throat. Whether from pain or from something more, it was hard to tell. Her bright blue eyes were dull; ghostly chips of ice submerged in a sea of white. The smile on her face was disturbing in its pleasure, purely devoid of any feeling.

"That's it," the Goddess crooned, her voice cracking and waning as the light grew stronger. "Nothing but a little runt struggling for food," she was a seamstress, weaving discord as it whimpered again; bowing in submission, its great tail tucking between its massive legs as the threads pulled its limbs downward. Vesanya grew ever closer to step between the creature and its prey. Its snarling teeth were close enough to touch, and touch them she did. Her fingers slid down the slimy fangs coated in saliva and blood, coming away with sticky fluid dripping down her glowing palms. "Where did you come from, my darling?" Oddly seductive, she swept forward, her fingers curling into a curtain call and the canine's eyes bulged in surprise--

And exploded in an angry rain of blood. A gory sight it was, the beast's life spraying across her face as she exploded the light deep within its skulls. The demonic dog shattered beneath its boneless weight, crashing to the ground with enough force to shake the earth. The threads dissipated with an ephemeral sigh, floating against the wind. Vesanya flexed her fingers, caring not for the searing blood burning into her cheeks and brow. Messy, she scolded with a clench of her fist. Far too messy. You've lost your touch and the disappointment echoed through her head and left her dizzy. She turned to Princess Ashlynn, drenched in blood and smiled like a goddess in repose.

"Satisfied?"

The single word managed to slip past her lips as the world spun beneath her feet and she fell, unconcious.

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

A single spear stood across the battlefield, many eyes watching the derelict weapon as the Princess plotted her next move. Without her weapon, she was useless, but reclaiming the spear would be difficult indeed given the circumstances. The strategist analyzed the situation, searching for a possible scenario where she might survive. Yet before the Princess could cast her mortality to the wind, the Goddess stepped defiantly between the Beauty and the Beast. "Ah, the Goddess emerges," the Princess mused cautiously to herself, dragging her tired body upright. Though she had expected Vesanya to harbor divine power, what she saw next was something she certainly hadn't expected.

Fearlessly, the Goddess controlled the lumbering beast like a mother its child, a brilliant light obfuscating the Princess' mortal vision. The beast came to heel, seemingly placated by the Goddess' unrivaled power. Then it exploded, blood streaming violently into every direction. Ashlynn shielded her face as the rain of blood came crashing down upon her, but far more deadly than the blood came her spear. The Princess yelped in surprise as she narrowly dodged the two handed spear that had previously been embedded in the creature's head. Thrusting into the dirt beside her, Ashlynn glanced up at the Goddess past her.

She was about to shoot the Goddess an affirmative nod, but before she could tilt her head the Goddess was crashing against the dirt. "Vesanya!" Ashlynn cried out, running towards the blood-soaked silhouette. Upon catching her into her arms, Ashlynn fell down to her knees. She was alive, though it seemed that her physical body had suffered greatly under such unbridled power. Indeed, harboring such immense power was probably too much for anyone in the mortal realm, even a goddess. Cradling the unconscious woman in her arms, the Princess surveyed what remained of the camp. The battle against the titanic beast had come to an end, but the cost had certainly been heavy. What tatters of an army she had left had been decimated. Wounded soldiers pleaded for help, while the lamentations of the dead cooed eerily throughout the now derelict camp.

Her army was broken, her people were suffering. But nestled between her arms, Ashlynn had found hope. Shifting her gaze back down upon Vesanya, Ashlynn leaned inwards, placing a kiss upon the Goddess' bloodied forehead.

"...Thank you..."

mO62c07.png

Five Days Later...

The City of Dupont

Upon the border of the Aurelian Kingdom stood the City of Dupont, a wealthy merchant city known for its exotic wineries and vast olive gardens. To train her in the school of administration, Princess Ashlynn had been given ownership of the city from a young age, a test where she flourished. Of the Aurelian cities, it is among the only ones still loyal to Ashlynn's claim to the throne and has since declared itself independent until the true Princess may take the crown. Above the city and reaching towards the clouds spirals the governor's palace, a place for the Princess' retainers to gather and plot their next moves. Yet, while the Princess' confidants have recommended the Princess take swift action, Ashlynn instead has chosen to confine herself to her bed chambers.

The evening was dark, the twin moons glowing vibrantly in the night sky as a single silhouette stood upon an open balcony. The frigid air tickled Ashlynn's face as she leaned against the marble baluster, peering down into the city below. Thousands of minuscule lights dotted the lively city below her, mirroring the evening stars that had been cast high above. A humble smile creased the Princess' lips before she turned backwards, stepping back into the warmth of her bedchambers. It had been many years since the Princess had been here, but it still felt like home all the same. A warm fireplace illuminated the spacious quarters, with a sizable bed at its center. Upon the bed lay the unconscious Goddess, still hibernating from her powerful display several nights ago.

Beside the bed was an open chair, the place where Ashlynn has restlessly waited for the Goddess to return to her. With a heavy sigh, Ashlynn settled herself back into her seat, eyes helplessly watching the Goddess' peaceful slumber. It was then that a knock reverberated from the doorway, bringing the Princess' attention upwards. "Yes?"

"Your Grace, you should eat something. Everybody is beginning to worry about your health." A familiar voice beamed through the door. The voice belonged to none other than Lady Charlotte, who managed to survive the battle despite her wounds. "You've hardly left your room since we've returned..."

"I cannot leave her side. Surely you understand, Lady Charlotte." The Princess replied softly, "I will be fine."

There was a pause, a lingering moment of silence as Lady Charlotte pondered each of Ashlynn's words carefully. "You care about her, don't you?"

"...Perhaps."

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Oh, how terrifying it was to dream again.

It started with a great door streaked with smoky gold as if a hand had slipped on fresh ink. She floated through with ease, clad in nothing save for a sheer lace gown woven in amber silk. Her feet hurt, she realized vaguely, feeling the wetness and piercing pangs of pain but thought nothing more of it as she wandered down the barren corridor. Dust and silence skittered underfoot and she roamed aimlessly like a ghost in its mansion. So enthralled in her endless journey, she did not hear the pitter-pattering behind her, not until the world spun into a web, entrapping her in steel silk. Threads snapped around her wrists and ankles and it took all her might to break the strands and pull away, scrambling for safety, leaving bloody footsteps in her wake as the next door appeared. She stretched out her hand in desperation just as it creaked open and a pair of crimson eyes peered through.

One heartbeat later, she found herself encompassed in a sea of darkness, floating boneless and fleshless and burning all the same. Guttural words echoed through her skull, exploding suns and stars behind her eyes and sloughing the light from her godly body. What remained was a pale, naked creature, weak and shivering and cast beneath a hailstorm of rain and growling greed. Her back arched with a great crack of bones and muscle; her nails grew long and longer still into talons, jet black and jagged and fat veins of dirty blood bulged up her neck. Her mouth flew open, hacking to the ground golden bile which simply evaporated in the air with a steady hiss. Oily, obsidian scales coated her behind, her breasts and the rest of her as her jaw elongated, stretching painfully as she let loose her first scream of agony that reverberated through the cosmos.

Then she was flat on the ground; a pale, naked creature, weak and shivering and cast beneath a sea of blood and crooning comfort and a great warmth seeped through her very bones. Crimson eyes peered through the smoky veil once more, a hand stretched out by a faceless figure from the rippling silver of a broken mirror, its form burning brighter than any flame. So bright that even in her dreams, the Goddess Ves'anya screwed her eyes against the unseen force. She thought the phantom familiar and trusted it, thus placing her lifeline tight against the seeping ice of the ghostly palm.

Her vision fumbled, tossing against the tide as she stumbled upon another door. Gaunt, pale and starving, she lay on a feathered mattress and woke to bluebirds singing gaily. She did not know what to make of it, save that she was in utter darkness and their tunes bounced off windowless walls. She would claw at the stone, rending it from the walls until the whole damn thing collapsed in an explosion of mortar and dust. She would stand amongst the ruins, desperation heaving through her veins and red hot blood staining her face, cheeks, and jaw to naked shoulder. She slipped her fingers across the blood and brought it to the tip of her tongue. It was not her own, she realized with a start, and looked upward to see the snarling great jaws of a beast bearing down, dripping poison and blood all the same.

6XQhxMv.png

Ashen and pale, the Goddess looked as beautiful in death as she did in life and as she did in immortality. Her chest heaved with her mortal heartbeat, a steady pulse that thrummed against her ribs with every sullen sigh. Days and days of unfortunate nightmares, Vesanya's brow was coated in a light sheen of sweat though she did not toss and turn in her unconsciousness. Instead, her thick lashes fluttered at those garish dreams, prophetic or not, they always unnerved her for she knew it was a mixture of both her past, current, and future sins coming to crash upon her. Rarely did she sleep for she found these horrific visions nigh unbearable and during slumber, they were her most prominent guests.

Vesanya first felt the tendrils of the mortal world return to her when the rumbling tones incited a memory of the present. The softness of the sheets, the gentle incense permeating her surroundings. The warmth and closure, the imminent safety of her godly form. Without moving. the Goddess fished her consciousness up and pulled it from the controversy of her memories. Wary, but at ease, she kept her eyes closed and took stock of her current surroundings, groggy as she was.

Queen Ashlynn by her side, the knock on the door. Some lady's voice. Lady Charlotte, Vesanya barely suppressed the frown in recognition.

So she has not eaten. Disapproval was imminent but she wished to learn more. She remained still enough to fool any mortal. Her breathing was even, her lashes fluttering subtly with every natural sigh and her lips neutral. After all, she was simply in a deep slumber. She listened, straining a bruised ear beneath her silken sheets.

"I cannot leave her side. Surely you understand, Lady Charlotte."

She cannot? Her brow twitched in amusement. How many years has it been for the Princess to sing a tune so different? She longed to gaze upon that face, to inspect it for her lines of beauty or fuss over the appearance of crows feet trampling over her smooth skin.

"You care about her, don't you?"

"...Perhaps."

Now there was a thought.

Vesanya couldn't laugh but she might have cracked a smile before a spasm of pain thundered through her skull. She barely suppressed a groan. The Goddess was still weak; the magic has taken a great toll on her fragile body. She ached all over; her head, her wrists, her back, her legs, they were all covered in plum-colored bruises. From the fall or from the exertion, there was no telling. She felt as if she'd just scaled that dreadful mountain a dozen times over without pause. There was a welt where her magic used to be, overflowing at the edges and cracking at the flesh. Worst of all, she remembered the beast she had slaughtered and its dying thoughts she stole. She recalled the confusion in its eyes, the rage bubbling like molten lava beneath the surface. It longed to rend its claws into her chest, to make a banquet of her flesh but it could not find the anger that had brought it here nor the strength to move against the smiling woman.

This was when it hit her. The Goddess herself had slaughtered its pack; its mates, whelps and every other beast that dared make a mockery of her court. Their blood was fresh on her grotesque form, great claws elongated before the three-headed beast fled with fresh scars and swearing carnal revenge. So many centuries ago and yet it'd bide its time, waiting for the ripest moment to strike. Vesanya felt it all; the anger, confusion and despair; its hatred and pain and desperation. All of it flashed through her like lightning until it was too much to bear and the guilt would wear on her heart for days to come.

It was her fault, she realized, and she made the mistake of turning away from the Princess, grinding her teeth in discomfort as a hot bolt of pain lanced through her shoulder.

"Perhaps what, your highness?" She managed to groan out, twisting against the sheets like a wounded serpent to face the Princess. Lady Charlotte remained unnoticed and overlooked. She flashed her fangs and the sheets slipped from her shoulders.

"Why worry so for a Goddess such as I?"

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

The Princess' gaze averted downwards upon hearing the rustling beneath her; the groans emanating through tired lips. It seemed that the Goddess was quite the eavesdropper, causing Ashlynn to wonder for a fleeting moment how long she had been conscious for. "Ah, now you awake. How convenient." Ashlynn mused, crimson eyes watching the vulnerable Goddess with renewed interest. For such a mighty being to be confined to a bed, it seemed that she was more human than she would care to admit. Does she feel the pains of a mortal form, the pleasures? Do Goddess' love and weep? These questions plagued the curious Princess' mind. "Perhaps I do care for you, or better yet, perhaps it is none of your business." The Princess felt the sudden urge to unleash a tirade upon the Goddess, lecturing her about how irresponsible it was for her to bring herself to incapacitation - but instead she simply sighed.

"I'm glad that you're alright," the Princess postponed answering Vesanya's question for a moment. Instead she leaned inwards, so that their portraits hovered dangerously close to one another. Scarlet prisms eyed sapphire kaleidoscopes curiously before drawing shut. Tender lips then fell upon the side of Vesanya's cheek, her plush, pillows gracefully pressing into the soft flesh. "Thank you... for protecting me," the words were soft, whispered underneath her breath like a secret passed cautiously between lips. Indeed, Ashlynn would probably be dead if the Goddess had not intervened. But then again, what good would it have been for the Goddess to lose her treasure so easily?

Upon placing the gift upon Vesanya's cheek, the Princess rose from her seat. "It's what we mortals do... worry." Ashlynn chuckled, "Among other things..." she added before settling herself down upon the bedside. "Many men and women died so that I could meet you. It would have been a waste to lose you as well." The Princess was great at many things, but she had some learning to do when it came to the game of sweet, little lies. "How do you feel, Vesanya?" Indeed, the Goddess looked as if she had seen better days, but the Princess could hardly understand that she felt even worse than she looked.

"Can you walk?" She pondered, as if challenging the Goddess to try. She took Vesanya's hand carefully into her own, holding her as the two rose in unison. With cautious grace, the Princess helped Vesanya shift upright before placing her feet upon the floor. It seemed that the Goddess' newfound handicap was more severe than originally anticipated... and it wasn't long until Ashlynn felt most of her weight being shifted into her chest. "Easy. I've got you." She cooed patiently before helping the Goddess stand upright once again. Once Vesanya was finally free from the shackles of her bed sheets, Ashlynn moved her towards one of the doors in the far corner of the room with one arm behind her back.

"I didn't think a Goddess could be so weak." She took the opportunity to jab at Vesanya, as if she wasn't in enough pain already, "But I guess I can't expect much from someone ten thousand years old." She added as they found their way to the door. She pushed through the door, revealing a spacious room of marble and gold, a circular mass of water set beneath a grand water fountain. Surrounding the baths were no less than twelve marble pillars, interspersed evenly and adorned with gold and fresh oak leaves. Dancing through the water were the petals of nearly a hundred, scarlet roses - each of which matched the color of the Princess' stern eyes. It was a bath fit for a Queen indeed.

Ashlynn set the Goddess down upon a nearby bench. "The water should help with the aching," she paused for a moment, "Will you need help removing your clothes?"

Last edited:
2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Vesanya waxed and waned upon the silken bedspread as best she could, weaving the sheets between her slender legs and throwing coy looks at the Princess who backhanded her inquiries with offstand-ish answers. She would not dog Ashlynn for more; what she wanted was plain on that discontented face and the Goddess was not so greedy that she would ask for more - for now. As Ashlynn drifted over, the curve of the Goddess' unpainted lips betrayed her thoughts. Placated by blood in the water, she felt a sudden, whimsical desire to caress the woman's cheek with a tenderness ill-befitting of a deity. She yearned as a mortal might for a fraction, for a singular breath and overcame it within the same exhale. Or perhaps it was the warmth of lips upon her skin that tore her from the spell, reminding her of the purple-blue veins stark beneath her pale flesh.

"My pleasure," Vesanya wrote her response within a subtle smile, uneasily conscious of such fleeting desires. It would have been terribly easy to tease the young woman, albeit her intent was cruel. How many lives are my loyalty worth, Your Grace? She could have asked, fluttering lashes innocently. How many more must die before I make you mine? But she has grown gentle over the centuries, yielding to the iron and bowing to the soft marrow of her mortal bones. Vesanya held those vicious words and pressed back into her pillow. A quick roll of her eyes followed the inquiry. Her legs felt weak like water and spotted with bruises. She felt worse than she looked but she did not show it save for flinching when pressing upon her many sore spots.

"Can a king fall?" The Goddess furrowed her brow, lips pursed in mock petulance even as she accepted the Princess's aid with as much decorum as she could muster. "Of course I can walk." She did, for a spell. Then she felt her knees buckle beneath her own weight, lackadaisical days atrophying her muscles. Vesanya collapsed against the woman's chest, her arm flashing out to clutch her new crutch's wrist. Having undoubtedly shed her blood-soaked dress at some point, replaced only by a simple slip woven for slumber and nothing more, she felt oddly vulnerable - as if she hadn't received the Princess completely bare at their very first meeting. Perhaps it was the fact that she was stumbling around like a swaddled babe.

Nevertheless, she moved alongside her Princess.

Her ribs creaked beneath her skin when she moved, bruises rising and falling with every breath and stiff step. Alas, it pained her greatly to admit that it was mostly thanks to Ashlynn that she could move at all. "Ten thousand?" Grateful for the distraction, the Goddess tutted beneath her breath. "Ten thousand years ago I was moving mountains with my... pinky finger." Claws, she almost slipped out, but she caught herself in time. "Best not put a number on my head, Princess," Vesanya warned playfully as she hobbled like an old crone across the marble floor. Cracked and filled with smoke and bronze, the floor was surprisingly cold to her mortal flesh but the steam was welcome restitution to her battered body.

Easing on the bench with a soft sigh, she rolled her shoulders back with a wince. Vesanya couldn't recall the last time her magic betrayed her so. A decade ago? A century? The ache was not so debilitating that she dared not take a breath, but she certainly wasn't like to forget anytime soon. She side-eyed the Princess lazily, "I suppose you would like that, wouldn't you?" A chuckle and a flamboyant gesture of her hand implied she wasn't being completely serious. "No, I believe I can manage." Wounded she might be but there was something to be said if she required a mortal's aid to undress of all things.

The Fallen Goddess; Treasure Seeker, Lady of the Shadow Lands, the Gorging Beast of the Realms, the tyrannical Obsidian Monster. Such marvelous titles and more and yet, she found herself struggling to stretch her arms high enough to tug the shift over her head. The pain, the inflexibility of her limbs, they were all too much. She might have confessed halfway but her pride was too great. Instead, she strained her tendons and gritted her teeth, her nerves hidden beneath the darkness of her clothes, and ripped the shift from her body in one go. The delicate fabric fluttered to the floor, folds within folds collapsing as the Goddess stripped herself with a singular grunt.

A Goddess undone, purple bruises turned to blushful scarlet and she slid off the bench with a grumbling, mournful sigh. She was a vision made undone; spotted with blemishes, they almost seemed like freckles in the vastness of their quantity. Her normally pale skin seemed to be littered with scarlet discoloration, scars crisscrossing her breasts and stomach, unnatural shades coating the porcelain godliness of her form. Far from the perfect mortal she presented herself as, she was all odd angles and awkward limbs, an absolute embarrassment to the Princess she wished to woo, an embarrassment that offered her a strange sort of mindful insight. Vesanya could not recall the last time she had been in such a state in front of anyone beyond her mirror image. It was humiliating, it was pretentious, it was beyond redemption, salvation.

"Avert your eyes," she muttered, a lopsided smile offered to Ashlynn as she dragged herself inelegantly toward the bath to submerge herself completely: legs, torso, face.

Vesanya found her bearings floating in the rose-littered pool. It was difficult to maneuver and possibly more so to watch. The searing hot water did wonders to her aching wounds as she deliberately sunk deeper. It smelled and tasted of flowers; blooming nature sickening in its youth corrupting the water with flourishing innocence. Bubbles surfaced from her lips and her silver hair spun like a spider's web around her. Her body throbbed and ached and groaned, throbbing wounds opening and closing and opening once again. Crimson rivulets pierced the surface and the Goddess opened her eyes; crystal, distant blues battling against the avalanche of tears hammering at her lids. Her throat closed, her smile piercing the heavens and her arms splayed like a cross as she wallowed deeper, in the bath, in the water, in her liquid sins.

She did not resurface.

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

Curious eyes mused over the Goddess as she cobbled towards the soothing waters at the center of the room. For one that possessed so much power, the Princess found it quite interesting to witness her in such a frail, vulnerable state. Ashlynn might have pointed out the irony of the situation, but ultimately held her tongue. It would do her no good to incur the Goddess' wrath at this moment. Auburn gemstones did simply as they were told, shifting to one of the marble columns in the far corner of the room as Vesanya dipped beneath the soothing waters beneath her feet. It was only a few moments until Vesanya had submerged herself completely, silver locks dissipated underneath the steamy surface.

With a heavy sigh, Ashlynn unclasped her golden pauldrons, setting the ornate armor pieces against the floor before shifting her own linens free from her body. It was not often that one would be given the opportunity to gaze upon the Princess' slender form. Though she was mortal, a flower that would one day wither away into desolate nothingness, her fair silhouette still managed to rival the most captivating of Goddesses. Emmeria, Lunastra, Cer'enos... the ephemeral Princess could stand among any of them. Perhaps each one had blessed her, a twisted concoction they would use to entice their fallen sister.

Dipping her feet cautiously into the warmth, the Princess slowly began her descent into the soothing aqua beneath. Her brunette strands pooled across the surface as she moved, floating behind her with each step. Ashlynn waited for her guardian to resurface, but found herself waiting for far longer than she had anticipated... for the Goddess seemed content to hide underneath her visage. "Ves'anya," she beckoned finally, a trail of bubbles having surrendered the embarrassed Goddess' location. When she failed to answer her mistress' summon, the fair Princess dove her hand beneath the surface of the water. Svelte digits intertwined with silver locks before pulling upwards with unceremonious force, causing the water to splash and recess as Vesanya's face was forcefully revealed.

"I may not be able to put a number above your head, but you can certainly put one on mine." The Princess remarked candidly, indeed, time was of the essence. For every moment they spend sitting on their hands, Ashlynn's uncle was mustering his forces for war. She had already taken a large gamble losing most of her army in the Shadow Lands, then another by waiting for Vesanya to awake. "We have much to discuss, now that you're awake. For starters, I need to know what you are capable of." She mentioned that many years ago she could move mountains with her fingers... so how much of that power still remained, really?

"Your power... your guidance. I need these before it is too late. My uncle will be swift to place my head upon a pike... and with my current forces I will only be able to stall the inevitable." Dark eyes narrowed, watching the wounded Goddess carefully. She placed her hand against Vesanya's exposed chest, leaning her weight into her until their feet lifted from the base of the bath. Drifting gracefully across the water, it was as if the pair floated among the heavens. Ashlynn moved her lips closer, pausing just shy of Vesanya's own. "Make me a Queen... and I promise that I will be yours for as long as you desire."

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

The water bubbling through her lungs evaporated into a hot mist, rippling as she sank deeper, breath trapped just below the surface. Another dream, more vivid than the last, flashed through her. Perhaps it was the air, the air she didn't need, on this plane of existence; the foreign stink of mortality and heavy bloodshed and sweet steel, that made her recall the past in near overwhelming waves. She's had such premonitions before, the concept of prophecy and visions unclaimed and so very easy to accept at face value. For all Vesanya cared, it was a zero-sum game: a nation could rise and the clink of gold would sound all the same, a dictator could fall and the taste of sweet wine would linger at the back of her throat as always. Every plea falling on deaf ears. Very few seemed to understand just how irrelevant her existence meant caged in bone and flesh but alas, this was the price she must pay for her freedom.

Well, Ashlynn had cut through this time. The heat certainly soothed the throbbing of her wounds, hot red blood thrumming through her bruises. She sighed blissfully, opening her eyes only at the Princess's insistent tugging, resurfacing with little resistance. She was weightless in the water, drifting only where the other woman commanded. She barely noticed the nakedness, the vulnerability that surrounded the pair. "Indeed," the Goddess mused, carding her fingers through rose petals and water alike. She gazed at the ceiling half enveloped in the curling steam, the rest glimmering in glitz and glamor. The ornate chamber might have looked at home in her tower, Vesanya thought with a Cheshire grin. Selling the manse might net them a good portion of gold to spend on an army and weapons but she knew Ashlynn would be much too proud to consider it.

"What am I capable of?" The lilt at the end suggested a taste of a double-edged sword, the Goddess almost as curious as the Princess. Their lips were close enough that a single millimeter of movement would close the distance, the radiance of the woman hovering above her almost angelic in the way the light circled about her like a halo. Vesanya sighed, her lips crinkling. "Once upon a time, much and more. Now, well... you see what it does to me. It has been a long time since I have left my tower, and longer still since I've meddled in such affairs. It will take some time before I can click my fingers and make you a Queen." Whether or not she was blowing her capabilities out of proportion, it could not be said. Her face was a mask, gently teasing yet distant.

"However, my guidance you shall have."

She ran her tongue over the floral-tasting water coating her lips, tilting her head forward ever-so-slightly to ghost against the Princess' own lips before weaving her arms around the woman's neck. Her fingers battled through those drenched locks, slipping wetly against the flesh as she pulled the woman down by the nape, submerging them both into the bathtub. The Goddess' crystal eyes seemed to glow eerily, encapsulated by shades of blue unimaginable. It would be like being surrounded in a blanket of silence, the seemingly bottomless pit of the bath rushing up to swallow them both and when Vesanya pressed two fingers to the woman's brow, Ashlynn would see, so long as she could hold her breath.

A hundred years ago, perhaps a thousand years, flew like a blur as they watched from the skies. A king holding a sopping crimson crown of dangling flesh and bits of bone placed it on his head, grinning with mania coursing through his bent body. A shadow soared across his throne of dust and a great eye shot with green pus peered at them, the hint of teeth just below the mangled armor. Then, a field dotted with a black swarm, like ants on a hill except they were men and they were near thirty thousand strong. Men on horses, men with bow and arrow, clad in steel cutting through villages. Vesanya heard a faint burble, and she pressed even harder, urging the twist of images, her chest rising and falling quickly with every breath she didn't need to take.

Princess Ashlynn would see the likeness of her uncle in the King, and she would see her own forces rallying to her banners. A small crescent moon against the eclipse. Snaking tongues of fire forked through both armies and crests the Princess would know well would shimmer in the brutal aftermath, burning, bleeding and turning to ash. Her heart was tightening now, hammering a discordant beat against every healing injury. She lamented her fragility once again and considered stretching out the cryptic imagery but minutes have passed and she could not risk the Princess drowning. The Goddess pulled them both up, breaking the spell but keeping her firm hold on the woman.

Did she need to do it? No. But Vesanya never lacked for flair.

"So you see," she began as if it was an everyday occurrence to expose a mortal to the visions of an immortal. She did not even wait for the other to catch her breath if she needed it. "The king who sits on the throne builds his claim from the corpses of friends and enemies alike. Corpses you know well, I take it." Vesanya offered Ashlynn a measured look but continued without addressing the obvious. "If you cannot rely on brute force, then you must win the nobles to your cause. It is likely that they fight for the king because they fear him or desire the glory he offers." She closed her eyes, drifting closer to press her lips tenderly against Ashlynn's forehead where her nails might have left marks. Her next words were said with a slight tremble in her voice as if she might shatter her teeth if she clenched them too hard together. But her warm touch was sincere, despite the force in which this promise was spewed.

"If I must, I might be willing to... part with treasures of my own to woo them to our cause."

Last edited:
bt31kio.png

The Princess pondered upon each of the Goddess' words as if they had been inscribed into holy text, Vesanya's sigh having foreshadowed a prophecy of bad news. Indeed, Ashlynn had been convinced that Vesanya could make her Queen within a fortnight, but it seemed the Princess was more naive than she had anticipated. "Then it shall be your guidance that will make me Queen," the Princess remained cordial, but even a mortal would have seen the unsatisfied discontent that painted her canvas. She had offered up her mind, her body and her heart to the Goddess, yet it seemed that even these were not enough to secure her throne. Perhaps her paltry offering was simply not enough to awaken the dragon.

Her myriad of thoughts were soon interrupted by a sudden movement, arms interlocking behind the Princess's silhouette as the two bodies plunged into the azure abyss beneath them. The fleeting moment of surprise, however, soon gave way to starry awe as the Princess noticed the faint glow of those bewitching sapphires so close to her face. Her eyes fixated, noticing a hazy image playing between the endless sea of blue that stared back upon her. The sea of images passed quickly for the Princess, each one new but all too familiar still. These were the images of war and everything that came with it: all of the death, the destruction, the suffering. The Princess watched as thousands of men tore into one another like maddened animals, their ghastly screams almost overwhelming every one of the Princess' senses.

But she had to see the end. If this was the future, she had to see if the price would be worth it. If her crown would be worth the death and the suffering that would be made to claim it. When she felt her body beginning to rise to the surface, her body instinctively moved to fight it. Perhaps she would have put up a noticeable struggle if her lungs weren't pleading for air. The horrific images slowly began to fade as the Princess felt her vision succumbing to the darkness...

A sharp gasp awoke Ashlynn moments later, light once again filling auburn gemstones as she rose up from her brief incapacitation. It was then that she could hear the Goddess' pleasant voice grace her ears once more, calling upon her to drive a wedge between her uncle and the nobles that foolishly support him. "I saw so much death..." they were the only words that the Princess could muster in response. It was the first time that she felt her conviction waver, questioning whether the price would be worth the prize. Indeed, her uncle would prove to be an unfair and unjust ruler, but how much suffering must her kingdom pay? No. Such thoughts only weakened her resolve. She was the rightful Queen... and with Vesanya at her side, she would be sure to claim her throne in a way that best limited her people's misery.

The moment of estranged confidence was soon shattered as the Princess' eyes turned back towards the Goddess, still brimming with the determination that she had held when she had first stepped into the dark halls of the Goddess' lair. "Yes. Fickle creatures, nobles are. They care more for their own wealth than honoring their vows." The Princess shot a passing glare over at the Goddess. Indeed, there would always be the lingering fear that Vesanya may one day turn against her as well. If her treasure became endangered, would Vesanya whisk her away and keep her locked away in that tower for the rest of her days?

As Vesanya considered giving up some of her treasures for Ashlynn's cause, the Princess stood and moved to the towels. "That shouldn't be necessary." Ashlynn passed a towel down for the Goddess to dry herself with before the Princess set about getting herself dressed once more. "I will offer them gold and land, if those aren't enough, then I will find other ways of securing their fealty." While diplomacy had always been among Ashlynn's strong suits, she had never liked dealing with the corrupt nobles of her kingdom. Perhaps once she was Queen, she might be able to carve each and every parasite out with a knife. "Get dressed. The Duke of Auvignon has been waiting for an audience for some time now." Speaking of parasites...

Once the two had been cleaned and made presentable, Ashlynn would lead the Goddess out through her bedroom and into the corridors of the palace. They eventually came to a set of doors, causing the Princess to pause and turn towards her companion. "I have been telling the court that you are my assistant. A noblewoman from the faraway lands of Lucillos. My promise to you must remain a secret for the time being." Ashlynn explained briefly, "Are you ready?"

2j4Em1L.png

6XQhxMv.png

Vesanya returned to reality with a repentant sigh, her hair floating all around her like moonlit water lilies. She slicked back some strands laid across her cheek, wincing as her bones creaked. Surrounded by so many petals, she likened it to the fields of blood they had returned from but that was the least of her concern. Watching the Princess closely with lidded eyes, she let those visions sink in, searching for any flicker of doubt. It would be most unusual for Ashlynn to abandon her quest so easily. It was, after all, the reason that drew Vesanya close in the first place, almost eager to see how the Princess might move the pieces on the board. Death, that much was imminent but to what extent could be changed with a blink of an eye. Violence was the bloodied pen in which history was writ.

She smiled at the sudden fierceness in the Princess' gaze, all sharp lines and razor edges. She did not pretend to know what was rushing through the woman's thoughts, only that she'd seen such a look before. It spoke of uncertainty stretching across the centuries, of a certain disquiet mistrust for it was not just nobles, but Gods and Goddesses too who offered favors at their whim. There was nothing binding about their agreement, no threat of pain or death. It was all words and wind and Vesanya also wondered, at a time, what stopped her from disappearing back to her lonesome tower. She was fickle and she showed it, in the way her lips curved on the cusp of a secret, the way her eyes glittered beneath thick lashes. Words and wind.

It relieved her to hear that she need not part with her collection but she did not show it and simply bowed her head, almost reverently, as Ashlynn emerged from the bath. Vesanya followed suit, taking the offered towel with a word of thanks and dried herself off. Miraculously, her bruises were mostly gone and faded, where only the faintest spots of soft yellow and green remained. Her hair fell in a silver waterfall as she toweled it dry, unashamed of her bare body before sauntering to where she left her discarded shift. Loath as she was to don such basic cloth, it was all she had. The Goddess shuffled it over her form, the cotton rasping roughly against her skin as Ashlynn spoke.

"Oh?" Was her simple reply.

For the name struck a bell in her memories, faint and distant as it was. Duke, the first rang like a rattlesnake. Auvignon, the second like an earthquake ready to strike. It rumbled below her ears and rose to the surface, setting her teeth on edge. Vesanya tugged her shift firmly in place and followed the Princess, oddly quiet. She was granted a simple dress not dissimilar to her old one and once her hair was brushed and dried, she could barely feel the cracks in her ribs. It was easy enough to keep their relationship a secret, but she wondered if it might be best to speak to Ashlynn - but she was feeling petty, possessive, pity.

"I see," she said, and nothing more. It was the deep scimitar of greed carving its way into her heart, the jaw-breaking annoyance she had to cast away. "Your assistant," she mused softly to herself as she glided behind Ashlynn, matching her pace with ease. "I will try my best," and it was not lie, nor was it a promise. She said it with a hidden smirk, brushing her fingers through the woman's auburn hair, nails scratching lightly at the nape.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

__________________________________________________​

The Duke of Auvignon frowned at his reflection in the body-length mirror, adjusting his collar this way and that. A mess of cyan-blue hair was swept up, sweeping bangs falling charmingly over light red eyes. The Duke was a tall man and carried himself with a noble, if not arrogant, air around him. His suit was formal, sparing no expense for the meeting with Princess Ashlynn. In fact, he had brought a whole host with him, mostly soldiers and retainers to offer the usual gifts but his first thought was that Princess Ashlynn could do so much better than the City of Dupont. For as wealthy as it might be, a mere click of his fingers would leave its walls barren of trade.

Almeric was confident that the Princess would not be disappointed, for it was she who called upon the aid of Auvignon. They were most gracious hosts and yes, he was their guest but they would have the upper hand in this parlay. Of course, he'd heard of the Princess' beauty and valor, commanding both the battlefield and court with ease. But he was near similar; he prided himself on being the greatest knight in the kingdom Auvignon, more than adequate with sword and spear and sparred just as easily with his tongue. It would be remiss of him to allow such a prize to slip through his fingertips, and should the war be won, he would be a king.

The time has come.

He turned as the doors were cast wide open to reveal the Princess. "Your Majesty," Almeric swept into a low bow, fixing a practiced smile on his face as he rose - and faltered, if only for a split second, as his eyes found the looming figure just behind, hovering like a shadow before stepping forward with a smile on her face. Though his countenance did not shatter, he almost lurched forward but managed to compose himself quickly. He cleared his throat, tugging at his gloves and opened his mouth to speak once more, to demand an explanation but--

"I hope my presence won't be an issue," Vesanya interrupted, her voice a sugary blade as she easily slipped into place next to Ashlynn. "I am but an assistant."

Pity, possessive, petty.​

bt31kio.png

Princess Ashlynn was no stranger to the game of politics, her eyes becoming quite adept at seeing past the faux wall of cordial demeanor that even the most experienced statesmen constructed to hide their true motives. Yet, Vesanya seemed far less skilled in hiding her emotions, or perhaps she simply deigned such a trivial task beneath her divine presence, Ashlynn was yet unsure. The Princess could feel the small hairs upon her neck stand as fingers rolled through her hair. Indeed, Ashlynn felt that she had crossed a line that the Goddess would never let her live down.

"Good. Please allow me to do the talking." Ashlynn's eyes narrowed, as if her mind was still processing the disdain lurking behind each of the Goddess' words. Her hand pressed up against the door, she carefully pushed through the doorway to reveal a the room that they would be conducting their affairs in. An ostentatious conference room, well-furnished with the amenities befit their regal status. One glance around the room and the Goddess might feel that her treasure hoarding was not so unusual after all, at the very least, her hoarding was a more conscious affair. At the center of the room, set atop a great, rectangular table was a map of the kingdom. Like a board game, the brightly pieces were arranged across the various geographical locations, no doubt a strategic map of the current political landscape.

"Lord Almeric. It's a pleasure, as always."
Ashlynn lied vehemently as she bowed gracefully before the Duke. The Dukes of Auvignon have always been known for their talented skill at arms, but their finesse for battle was equally matched by their wavering loyalties. Though they had always supported the crown in times of civil war, Almeric's predecessors often criticized the actions of their King. Yet, what Ashlynn found more curious than the man's allegiances was his reaction to not her, but Vesanya. She noticed the glares that spat back and forth like dragon's flame, the Princess caught helplessly between them.

The Princess' theories were affirmed by the break in Vesanya's silence. She wanted to ask about the two's relationship to one another, but decided that it was best to let that baggage remain unpacked. After all, there was much political business that needed attending to. "Thank you for answering my summons, Lord Almeric." Ashlynn stepped beside the table, her hand gliding over the map's parchment as she spoke. "Your family have always been true loyalists." Ah, the game of flatter had begun. "I'm sure you know that your lands, your crops, your armies will be needed to win this war." She nodded, her hand hovering over the pieces that represented Auvignon's armies, which were colored red in the same vein as her own. "But I know that these won't be free. No, your loyalty is far more expensive than that." She shifted her hand, moving over the pieces beside it: these pieces were colored blue and represented the forces of the usurper.

"The neighboring Duchy of Lecleric has declared for my traitorous Uncle. It's a smaller region than yours, but once it has capitulated, I will give it to you." It was an offer that was quite generous indeed, for a Duke that controlled not one, but two Duchies would have power that would rival the Royal Family itself. It was for this reason, that a dual dukedom was something rarely offered. Knocking down the blue pieces, Ashlynn turned towards the Duke, "I believe this is a fair price for you. My uncle would not be able to match this offer. In fact, he has probably planned to offer your lands to another." Whether this was true, she was unsure, but what she did know was that a Duke would protect their titles to the bitter end, even more than their own honor.

Back
Top Bottom