Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Grammar Nazi

The Goodman

A RIDICULOUS human being
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "you used a contraction before a preposition; I'm not mad but I think it's best if we end this partnership." And 1 being, "when your guy said "lolwut? Idk." in your post, I laughed." Where do you fall on the scale?

How much does it bother you when people use poor grammar, punctuation, and spelling?

Are there things you'll allow or let slide?

xanaphia

Hier kommt die Sonne
I guess I am either a 6 or 7 out of 10, but I also believe grammar rules function descriptively, rather than prescriptively.

incendonocturne

“Gonna rain down fire, it’s gonna burn us all.”
I’d say I’m about a 7-8. I’m no longer a grammar or spelling nazi the way I used to be. That’s not to say that I don’t cringe when I see too much. Then there’s the autocorrect issue. Lmao I try to give leeway for that simple reason alone. My autocorrect is the bane of my existence and I try to be upfront about it with my partners.

Now if you call all text speech on me.....I may have issue with that, in play. In OOC, it’s not as much an issue.

I shoot for a happy medium as long as thenother person has a decent grasp on English in general.

ImaginationGoneWild

Loremaster Extraordinaire, at your service!
As long as i understand what you mean then it's fine by me. english isn't my native language so I get mistakes.

BUT...

I learned to correct my grammar over the years by paying attention to my fellow writers so I can improve myself. So it bothers like heck when i see that the 'poor' writr doesn't make a freaking effort to try and learn or correct their mistakes, even simple ones. >.<
Learn! Why else are you writing!? you can't keep writing shit forever!?

The Goodman

A RIDICULOUS human being
I'm about where you guys are. I'd say a 6 or a 7. Mostly, I see a difference in tone and the handling of language in general. You can screw up a lot, like a spelling mistake in every paragraph, but if you command the narrative you're writing, if your voice comes through strongly, then I will overlook all of them as if they never happened. However, if your writing is stilted, or if your narrative is weak; if it is clear that you are writing words and not a story or characters, then I tend to be a bit more critical of any mistakes. Because then, it's not just a problem of a slip up but a whole issue of "this person doesn't know how to write" period.

Like, it won't ever be a sole reason I cancel an rp but generally if it's bad enough, there will be other contributing factors.

Top Bottom