Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Return or The Homecoming (a work in progress)

Darklaz

Super-Earth
Andrea Elizabeth, Sarah Nicole, Rebecca Angelica, Alexander Michael

Alexander "Xander" Agrotera is the youngest of four siblings and the only boy. Sent of to be raised by distant cousin due to a prophecy that had the underworld in an uproar. From the age of 3, he was Xander Aaronson, son of James and Angela. The past 18 years had been multiple levels of hell <as he and friends fought off interdimensional bandits, wannabe intergalactic tyrants, and a few near world-ending wars> . With the city he grew up in now flickering in and out of reality, almost being killed by his evil alternate, and more internal scars than he could count - Xander was heading back to a home he wasn't aware he remembered.
Alex Aaronson was tired of being the normal guy out of all his friends. He had been there for them consistently for the past five years and was weary from the constant fight. His childhood friend had found out she was a half-blood sorceress from an old line of seers and casters. His late ex-girlfriend was no more human than the neighbor's annoying schnauzer. And the main member of his friends had been 'cursed' with above normal abilities and healing. This led to short tempers and shorter fuses. He had learned, after their deaths, that his parents were not related to him, and he now was heading somewhere away from the only life he knew.

At a stopover between the small Midwest town he had always called home and somewhere west, he answered the call of someone being attacked. Ten fifteen at night and nothing much in this part of town, he came across what appeared to be a seven foot half gorilla/half mantis attempting a late snack. Without even thinking, Alex clenched a fist and uttered "llaberif". A fireball the size of a grapefruit hurtled at the creature, sending it screaming away in pain. Its intended snack, a woman in her 30s, gathered her stuff and shakily thanked him before running away herself.

Looking at his hands, he wondered where that had come from. He had never been anything but normal as long as he could recall. Heading back to the bus depot, he reclaimed his seat and proceeded to pass out . He would know where he was going when he got there.

The bus pulled up to the station in San Fransisco and Xander grabbed his little bit of gear and headed for the closest burger place. The long ride had him hungry and he was still trying to figure out why he was here and where he was heading.
After a good meal at Burger Palace, he headed towards the Bay. A friendly cabbie offered him a ride-business was slow-and refused to charge.
"Where ya headin', friend?" the driver asked.
"Not sure exactly. I just feel that the Bay area is where I need to be."
"The Bay it is, then"
After about 20 minutes, Xander said "Here! That house is where I'm heading. Let me off here."
"That place? I've heard some unusual stories about what goes on there. Three women, living by themselves; explosions, police involvement, Halloween pranks out of season that go way over and beyond. Are you sure about this? I know a good soup kitchen, or even a nice club or two that could use some extra help." he offered.
"No, but thanks. I just have a feeling this is where I was heading to."
"Your funeral, friend. Just watch your back." With that, he left as soon as Xander was on the sidewalk with his gear.

He walked up to the house and started to knock. The door opened on its own, and a small silver grey cat exited. It took one look at Xander and purred as it wove back and forth through his feet.

After 10 and a half hours, Xander found himself on the front porch of a house he had not seen since he was little. As he raised his hand to knock, the door swung open ... and he collapsed across the threshold from exhaustion and physical/mental/emotional fatigue. He was HOME, and his body & mind finally allowed the 'time out' that was long overdue.

About that same time across town, three women stopped their activities and simultaneously attempted to call each other. The oldest, Andrea, managed to make the connection and called her sisters, "Girls, I have the urgent feeling that we are needed at home. Not like an emergency, just urgently needed." Rebecca, the youngest, replied "Me too, Andi. Kind of like a sharp tug drawing me back." Sarah cut in, "Girls, I am on my way already. Meet you there."
Half an hour later, three very confused women met on the front porch. "Something is ... different. Kit is locked out, the curtains(shades) are all closed(drawn), and the door is not admitting us.", Sarah remarked. Rebecca went to step around the cat siting restlessly between them, and managed to stumble just right into her sisters-causing all three to make contact with the door, thereby opening it.

As the sisters entered the house, they found an unconscious young man on the sofa. Cautiously approaching him, Andrea brushed the hair from his eyes ... and gasped. Rebecca and Sarah stepped forward to catch her as she nearly collapsed. In a bare whisper, she said "It's him. He came home" Becky asked "It's who, Andi? Who is it?" Sarah uncovered his face and paled. Looking at Becky's confused face, she replied "Lexie. Our little Lexie is home. " Rebecca broke down and just hugged him, which upset Kit from the spot she had claimed on his chest. After tending to his bruises, cuts, scrapes and making sure he was okay, the sisters called in sick for family emergency and allowed themselves to fall asleep while watching over their baby brother.

Some hours later, Xander woke up - slightly stiff and a little disoriented. A silver grey cat that had been cured up on his chest stretched and chin-bumped him, purring contentedly. He blinked at the cat a moment before reaching up to pet it. "Kit?" he asked tentatively. The cat gave him a look that clearly said Of course. Who else would I be? , and proceeded to clean herself. Looking around, Xander noticed first the sisters, then his surroundings. "I'm home, then. Of course! Where else would I end up? Don't answer that, Kit." He carefully got up without waking his exhausted 'guardians' and headed for the kitchen to brew some tea. As the tea was about ready, Rebecca stirred in the living room. "Lexie? Is it really you?" she asked cautiously-as if he might vanish once more into a dream. Xander fixed them each a cup and sat beside her. "It's me, Becca. Shh! Let 'Rea and Sarah wake on their own. How have you been?"

"Honestly? Worried sick about you. No word from anyone about you since you left home. Andi about collapsed from shock when she realized who was on the couch. How have you been? is the question. What's been happening with you?" Sarah sleepily joined them and gave him a stern look. "Yes, Lexie. Did you even try to write to us? Becky cried for two whole weeks after they took you. It was another month after that before she even came out of your room without a fight." Rebecca blushed. "Sarah! The important thing is that he is back and he's okay." Sarah gave them a half-hearted glare before sighing and answered "You're right, Becca. Lexie, you were missed greatly and all three of us did our best to find out how you were. Mom passed away within a year, and Dad disappeared a couple yeas after the funeral ." Andrea yawned as she sat down with he favorite mug and stated "Everyone we knew acted odd on the subject of your well-being. But the main thin is that you are here and we are together again."

Just then the antique grandfather clock in the hall started to chime. Looking at her watch, Becca frowned. "That can't be right. I have only seven after eight." Sarah counted the chimes. "Thirteen? Impossible! It can't do that. Can it?" As the last chime died down, all the doors simultaneously slammed shut, and a well-dressed but disheveled-looking gentleman materialized in mid-sentence. "...Yes, well! This is highly irregular, you realize. The projected timetable shows..." He paused as he saw where he was and who all his current audience was. "Oh my! Ladies, it seems something has occurred to call me here ahead of schedule. Has anything... Alexander! I see! Now I know the situation. I will return shortly." As he vanished just as suddenly as he appeared, Xander and the sisters stared at where the stranger had stood, then back & forth at each other - not one with an answer.

Xander was the first to speak. "Anyone know who he was or how he just popped in then out of the house? All I know is, he looks like someone I vaguely recall from a dream. He seemed to know us well enough, though." Andrea sat up - now fully awake - and stated "I have never sen him before this. Obviously though, something is very off about this whole situation. Girls, any ideas?" Sarah and Rebecca both shook their heads - then Rebeca stopped thoughtfully. "Um, well. I think I remember seeing him visiting Mom once right before Alexander left. I was only 5 at the time, but ... " She slowly went to retrieve some early pictures from childhood. "I think this is him. Always keeping away the monsters, like a guardian angel or something."

Sarah blushed guiltily and admitted "To be honest, he's the White Knight in my teenage writings. He was always a little more real then the other characters. Alex, what role was he in your dreams?" Rubbing the back of his neck, Xander replied "Mentor, guide, teacher. In what, I couldn't say - but something important. That's the best I can recall." Andrea nodded. "It seems all of us have been impacted over the years. Personally, just his voice is naggingly familiar. Almost like a relative or close friend of the family you know, but have not actually met."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom