Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Expectations?

Achillea-mura

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
So I've been here off and on for a bit, but no matter how tidy I make my request thread it seems like I don't get very many hits? Maybe I have the wrong expectations as to what traffic is like? idk. But Im also only a thread RPer so maybe thats it? My request thread is in my sig if you want to check it out, id love any feedback :D

Man, it's a mixed bag, honestly. I've been on this site for 10 years on and off, with different thread lay-outs and designs, and it really comes down to formulating yourself to be clear, concise, but also looking approachable - and being lucky enough that the perfect roleplayer is online and viewing the first page of the Request Forum that day as well. In my experience, it really comes and goes. Some days I get nothing, others I get 10 people approaching me.

I want to compare it to fishing. Sometimes the fish are there but they aren't hungry, sometimes they aren't there despite you having the juiciest of tackles. You just have to be lucky sometimes.

Man, it's a mixed bag, honestly. I've been on this site for 10 years on and off, with different thread lay-outs and designs, and it really comes down to formulating yourself to be clear, concise, but also looking approachable - and being lucky enough that the perfect roleplayer is online and viewing the first page of the Request Forum that day as well. In my experience, it really comes and goes. Some days I get nothing, others I get 10 people approaching me.

I want to compare it to fishing. Sometimes the fish are there but they aren't hungry, sometimes they aren't there despite you having the juiciest of tackles. You just have to be lucky sometimes.

I get what you are saying. I guess I was just paranoid that I made my thread too elaborate and scared everyone off haha :p

I get what you are saying. I guess I was just paranoid that I made my thread too elaborate and scared everyone off haha :p

I personally think it strikes a good balance between "giving as much information as possible" while keeping it pertinent and not going overboard and "easy to read and having a good overview of the details"-dynamic that many fall into going too much into one or the other.

I personally think it strikes a good balance between "giving as much information as possible" while keeping it pertinent and not going overboard and "easy to read and having a good overview of the details"-dynamic that many fall into going too much into one or the other.

Well thank you ^_^ I just needed to be sure haha

The overwhelmingly vast majority of roleplaying goes on in PMs. Nearly 90% of it. My other forum, Elliquiy Role-Playing Forums - has a far higher percentage of thread-based roleplayers. But Elliquiy has its own 'thing' where social participation is a big part of how you find partners.

We've also got some cases where a few people are drowning out others, I think. We can probably find some ways to address that in order to ensure a wider variety of users get attention.

I think timing of your bump to the top of the lost has large part to play. I've noticed that being in the UK I bump around 5pm GMT and the vast majority of bumps happen whilst I'm asleep. Off a bump I usually get two or three responses to my requests.

Keep going and I'm sure you'll get those hits and people requesting to roleplay with you shortly.

For what it is worth to you your RT is very good IMO.

I'll mention my two things that make me close the request thread almost immediately, it might help you, it also might annoy you - so I'll appologise just in case:

Typography
My pet-peeve is Typography. When I open a request thread, one of the following examples below, I'll just close it immediately, I just care to much about my reading experience, and way to snobbish.

I don't read centre aligned text:

Oh look, I decided to write this in centre, instead of like a human being who cares about reading experience.
Or when they use smaller type then default:

Oh look, I have amazing eyes, and I'm pretty sure this text will be visible well on Laptop, Tablet, and Phone.

Of if they play with contrast:

I really love blue colour!

I'm just not going to bother reading it, it's not even about quality.

Pairings
I honestly have no idea what to do with pairings:

Assassin/Knight
Mage/Witch
Teacher/Student

This just sounds like lazy and random pairs of archetypes. The important thing for me in a roleplay is dynamics, and "professions" don't really impact dynamics. So if I see that person presses heavily on those pairing - I'd just assume that we are looking for different things.

P.S. I haven't read your topic yet, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be honest if I checked your topic, then I'd be less inclined to rant about my pet peeves :) I'll go read it now!

In my experience a lot of it is having the right person looking at the right time. The more complex or unique your plot is the harder it will be to find partners generally speaking.

Well I suppose there is something to be said for keeping at it until you succeed. People can often easily give up because the get bummed out at the feeling or rejection or being ignored. I had a friend who would hit on every girl he saw that he found attractive. Not in a creepy way mind you, but his philosophy was that if you're out to look for the perfect partner, you have to chat up a hundred. The first one you talk to is almost never the right one. So yeah...I hope that helps in some way.

Expectations are tough to overcome.

Back
Top Bottom