Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

From Friends to Lovers (Melethron &DearestMine)

dearestmine

Passion, heat, sweat, madness
Kyle relied heavily on Mavis, not that she'd ever purposefully let her know. Whenever her best friend was around, her father wouldn't lay a hand on either her or her mother. Kyle was able to be herself around the other girl; silly, artsy, and bubbly. At school, she was quiet and poised and studious, sporty and hard-working. She kept everyone at arms length and constantly had her headphones in to avoid conversation with anyone that wasn't Mavis or Mavis-adjacent. Teachers loved her because she got straight-a's and didn't talk out of turn. Students thought she was aloof and mysterious, or holier-than-thou. Only Mavis and their inner-circle really knew that Kyle was a caged-in free spirit that her father kept on such a short leash she had no room to fly.
Mavis was the only person besides her mother who had ever heard Kyle sing, and she had a voice that should have been selling out stadiums, not hiding out in waiting for her father to not be home.
When Zorida's cancer took her when the girls were just turning 14, Mavis became Kyle's rock, and the target of the physical affection she was missing from her mother. Kyle would cherish the sleepovers, wrapping herself around her best friend and sleeping in her arms, kissing her cheeks, hugging her whenever she was moved to. After a while, Kyle started to realize that what she felt wasn't exactly platonic, but never mentioned it for fear of losing her best friend. As far as she knew, Mavis was straight as an arrow and committed to her boyfriend. Hell, why wouldn't she be? He was perfect! He'd grown on Kyle over the last year as well, and while no one could steal the spotlight of her affection from Mavis, he was a strong contender.

1679504997955.png

“I swear to fuck I better not get another damn acceptance letter in my mother fucking mailbox, Kyle Lynn. I don’t know why you bothered wasting time and money applying to them! You’re not going to any of these fucking party schools before you prove you’re responsible enough to handle being on your own!”

Still in his uniform, just home from work, Sergeant Morgan Kyle Anderson stood tall over his daughter at 6’1”. He was fit, determined to lead by good example at the police department by not going to fat just because he got a promotion and more time at a desk. He had a stern look, appearing older than he was simply because he never smiled. He was only 37, but he could have been nearly 50 to anyone who didn’t know better. His hazel eyes bore into his daughter, whose matching honey gaze wouldn’t meet his out of respect. Or fear. Either way he got obedience out of it, and that was what mattered. She’d already been punished for applying to the schools after the first 3 letters came in the mail. He wasn’t going to do it again for the… what was this, the 10th damn acceptance?

Morgan cuffed Kyle’s ear and the young woman flinched but didn’t make a sound as he said, “Get the fucking mail on your way in from school if you’ve got any more coming, because I’m not going to have this fucking conversation again,”he warned.

Kyle stood in her kitchen with her head hanging low, eyes on the floor. She held a large yellow envelope in her right hand, the acceptance to University of South Carolina worth less than kindling to her father. She’d been accepted to nearly all the universities she’d applied to, but she was being forced to go to the local community college to get her associates and general education classes out of the way before her father would allow her to attend a real university with dorms. Preferably, as far as Kyle was concerned, out of state. Currently she had no say in her education because her father had complete control of her college funds until she was 21. 3 years and 2 months and 13 days away.

Conversations generally include both parties having a say… she thought bitterly.

“Yes, sir,” she said softly and quietly left the kitchen, wishing she could speak her thoughts. She immediately pulled her phone out of her back pocket and texted her best friend, her lips pressed into a thin, irritated line as she navigated the house.

Kyle: I got accepted to USC… still have to go to community
Kyle: How the hell am I gonna stay in this house for another two years?
Kyle: He says he wants me to prove I can handle ‘being on my own’ but how am I gonna do that if I’m never actually on my own?!
Kyle: He just wants to control me and I’m so sick of it! But I don’t want to go into debt just because I don’t want to deal with my Dad.
Kyle: It feels petty. Like, other people have it so much worse than I do I need to just suck it up, but ALL of them have accepted me! That has to mean something, right?

She went into her bedroom and tossed the envelope onto her desk, where another 8 envelopes were piled neatly, all having met as welcome a reception from Sergeant Anderson. She flopped onto her bed and sighed dejectedly into her pillow, then rolled onto her back. She looked around her room, the small area tidy, but lived in. The walls were a soft blue she’d painted with Mavis and her mother when she was 12. She didn’t have any posters, but she did have cork boards on each wall with photos tacked to them that ranged from old polaroids to social media photos on printer paper. She had a ton of photobooth pictures -- she was a sucker for those-- and there were holiday cards, movie ticket stubs, and other random keepsakes on the boards. Many of the photos were of Kyle’s late mother, but more of them were of Mavis, or were taken by Mavis. The more recent ones included Mavis’s boyfriend, Thomas, as well.

Other than her bed, dresser, and bedside table, the only things of note in her room was the Roland full-sized keyboard, and an acoustic guitar. Both belonged to her late mother, and both were worth a pretty penny on their own, but were priceless to her. The guitar had a professional case, and the Roland was always kept clean and clear of hazards like the water glasses she always left half full around her room. She always meant to drink them down..but never made it to the bottom of the glass.

@Melethron

Last edited:
The phone was still for a couple minutes. The waits between texts to Mavis Black had slowly grown longer and longer ever since she began dating her new boyfriend. Unlike the string of jocks and alphas she had entertained for a week or two before dumping them back in high school, this new guy and she seemed to be clicking. Mavis did her best not to be obnoxious about it, but when anyone asked about her new beau, she was more than glad to talk about him. Still, one thing Kyle could count on was Mavis would always write back. It might take five, ten, twenty minutes. But Mavis always found time for her Kyle, no matter how soft the cuddle session, engrossing the movie or peaceful the picnic with her Thomas. Sure enough, three minutes later, the reply came.

Mavis: Again?
Mavis: I know your father cares about you, but he needs to let you be your own person someday.
Mavis: You can't stay his little girl forever...

The string of texts came quickly, one by one, as if Mavis had taken the time to carefully consider her reply. Like most messages she sent when talking about Kyle's father, she seemed to strive for a conciliatory tone. Though the two had conversed enough for Kyle to know Mavis did not think much of her father. While she was perfectly polite when he was around, if the two talked about him, she always had the same reaction. A slow intake of breath, as if she were steeling herself for an impossible task. It was enough to make one wonder if she approached their texts the same way...

The phone was still for several minutes more. Then it buzzed again.

Mavis: Out front

The message was no sooner sent than a knock would be delivered to the front door of the Anderson house. Short, sharp and succinct. Just outside the window, a thin young lady could be seen, patiently waiting with her hands clasped at her front. She was a very attractive thing, with soft pale skin as soft as cream, and long platinum blonde hair that flowed over either shoulder. A pair of sharp, inquisitive blue eyes gazed out atop a petite sharp nose. She was still dressed in the outfit she had worn to school, a simple blouse and long green skirt, that gave way to black stockings and shoes. What made her stand out however was not just her beauty, or her clothing, but how she conducted herself. The young woman was poised, standing with a sense of control that seemed self evident. Her posture was straight and composed, carrying with it a sense of old world charm that didn't seem out of place from a Victorian novel. She had always had this element to her, even when she was one of the popular crowd. A sense of personal control and inner strength, but it had only grown since she began dating her current boyfriend steadily. Even if it won her the contempt of some of the other girls at school.

By contrast, the man beside her looked as if his skin were slightly too tight for his liking. Thin and rakish, with lean muscles that stood out against his black T-shirt. Tousled black hair hung in every direction, giving him a rebellious, or simply untidy look. His clothes were a little more simple. Running shoes, blue jeans, a black shirt, and a leather jacket. Quite the departure from the nerd he had seemed when they first met. Around his neck was a simple uncarved gemstone, held in place on a simple necklace by a mess of copper wire. Mavis had found it when the two of them went panning for gems together at a nearby museum. Her Thomas wore it everywhere he went. Much to both her protest, and her apparent joy. Thomas's eyes remained on the door at first, before they slowly panned to his girlfriend's face, which was doing its best to project an aura of serene calm.

"Sooo...are we really doing this?"

"Of course." Mavis said, breathing in through her nose. And trying not to freak out too much at the thought of what she was going to do. "Kyle Lynn's likely very upset. I've known her since we were little girls. I have to make sure she's okay."

"Y-yeah, I don't mean that, babe, I mean--"

His question was cut off as Mavis raised her fist again, and gently rapped her knuckles against the door. It was then that Thomas could see how pale her face was. She...really didn't want to be here. But he knew Mavis was stubborn. She wouldn't let either of them leave until they had seen Kyle Lynn. If that meant she had to speak to Mr. Anderson, she would do it. If Thomas and she had to sneak inside without him knowing, then so be it.

It was something he found strangely attractive about her.

Kyle: Just until I'm 21...

Kyle read the the messages from Mavis and was relieved she didn't ask her how she was doing. She didn't always tell Mavis when her father hit her-- it was too frequent -- but she was good about letting her best friend know when it got bad. Her father hadn't been drinking as much the last couple of weeks, so he hadn't gone over the top since the first acceptance letters came in. That... had been a rough night to say the least. Her ribs still hurt thinking about it. She pushed the thoughts out of her head as she contemplated whether she wanted to spent her evening with her piano or reading a book. She knew that Mavis was with Thomas this evening and didn't expect to see the couple at all. Mavis hadn't neglected her or anything, but obviously the girls weren't going to be able to spend every moment together with one of them in a relationship. Kyle was understanding of it, even if it did get a little lonely in the house without her best friend there. Also, having the buffer of a guest tended to keep her father from enacting his heavy-handed discipline on her as often.

Kyle was sitting at her keyboard with the headphones on, running through finger exercises as a warm-up when Mavis texted her and knocked on the door. She didn't hear the phone, or the knock, but her father did. He was in the living room, working on his first beer of the evening and watching ESPN. He still had his uniform on, top few buttons undone to reveal the white undershirt that fit tight over his strong chest beneath. His gun belt, gun, night stick, taser, and cuffs were in his bedroom, generally the first thing he took off when he got home.

"Kyle-Lynn!" He yelled from the sofa rather than get the door. After waiting a moment and getting no answer, he yelled again, louder. "KYLE-LYNN!" Still, no answer. Aggravated, he got up from the sofa and pulled the door open sharply, ready to tell off a door-to-door salesman or Jehova's witness. When he was met with the site of his daughter's best friend, his demeanor changed, but only slightly. Mavis came from a good family, and the girl was eerily poised. The boy she'd been dating was a bit of a nerd, and wasn't a cause for concern as far as the Sergeant could ascertain. "Oh. Hello Mavis," Sergeant Harper greeted her, ignoring the boyfriend. Tim? Toby? He couldn't be bothered to remember. His tone wasn't exactly friendly, but he wasn't outright rude to her either. That was, until he closed to door in the two kids' faces without preamble and headed to his daughter's bedroom to fetch her. He didn't want his house full of teenagers this evening.

Seeing Kyle at her piano, engrossed in her music, made the Sergeant ache. She looked so much like his late wife, it made him hate the girl. His rage won out quickly as he was reminded that he was never getting his wife back. He stepped forward and yanked the headphones from Kyle's head, getting some of her hair with it. Kyle, startled and pained, yelped in surprise and fear and spun around in her chair quickly to meet her father's gaze.

"What did I do?" she asked quickly, holding her head where the strands had come loose, wincing. He really did have a knack for hitting her in the exactly same spot every time, the side of her head still tender from where he cuffed her earlier.

"Mavis and her flavor of the week are here," he replied, not addressing her question. "What the fuck, Kyle? Am I your fucking doorman now?" He was irritated that she hadn't gotten to the door before Mavis even had to knock. He knew that the blond girl was generally good about letting his daughter know before she showed up. Kyle was usually good about telling him beforehand, too. "I spent the last 18 hours dealing degenerates and scumbags, you really think I want to be answering the door for your asshole buddies instead of relaxing after I work so damn hard to provide to for your ungrateful ass?"

"Dad, I'm sorr--"

"Fuck your apology. Go," he said, pointing at the door as he cut off her words.

Kyle didn't have to be asked twice. She grabbed her phone from her bed and her shoes from the foot of her bed and ran for the door. She looked a little rumpled and winded when she came out onto the porch. Her hair was a little messy from the interaction with her father, and her shirt was wrinkled from laying down in it. She was wearing a different outfit than she had at school since she'd had Volleyball practice afterwards and she didn't want to wear the same thing after showering. She wore a pair of blue jeggings and white cami shirt under a light blue flannel. She had on a push-up bra, though her breasts were on the smaller side so it didn't have as dramatic of an effect on her cleavage as she wished it would. Kyle definitely had boob-envy towards Mavis.

"Hey guys," Kyle said, her voice breathy as she shut the front door behind her and pulled on her ugg boots.

"Hey Kyle."

Mavis smiled to her friend. A pleasant reminder that life was not as bad as it could be. Despite the calm on her face however, her hand would slip into Kyle's quickly, barely giving her time to slip on her Ugg boots. Before Mavis started down the path hand-in-hand with her best friend. Her gait was unusual for Mavis. Not her usual elegant walk, but a long, powerful and precise stride Kyle would need to keep up with. Behind her, Thomas followed with his hands in his pockets, looking back to the house for a moment before following. Not another word crossed Mavis's lips until they had turned down the street and the house was safely out of sight, obscured by overgrown trees and worn fences. It was here that Mavis turned on Kyle. Her expression had shifted in an instance, from her normal smile to an almost motherly look. Her hand extended, fingers smoothing out the ruffles in Kyle's clothes and brushing her hair. Mavis had that look in her eyes. The one that never came out when Kyle's father was around, but always came out after Kyle and she had slipped away from him.

"Are you alright Kyle Lynn? I am so sorry. I thought you had gotten my message. I..."

Her words came out breathlessly. She had clearly had these thoughts on her mind since she met Kyle at the door. As one of her fingers tucked a strand of hair behind Kyle's ear, she looked down. Hands clasped in front of her, pensively looking down. Then back to Thomas. "I...I don't think now is a good time, Thomas. M-maybe we should--"

She cut herself off as she looked back towards him. Thomas just looked to Mavis, before nodding his head towards Kyle. In this cryptic gesture in the language of two lovers, Mavis seemed to take some kind of deeper meaning. The two had only been dating for a matter of months, but this silent language had been increasing between the two recently. It was as impenetrable as it was both frustrating and adorable.
Mavis turned back to Kyle, reclaiming some of her normal composure as she tried to be strong for her friend. Her face was serene. As ladylike as a portrait of a Victorian lady. Though Kyle would be able to see she was still upset about something. Her hands, clasped in her lap, played idly with one another with subtle gestures. "Kyle dear, I was hoping to ask you to t-the coffee house. There's s-something I need to talk to you about, and I th-thought it would be a good place to r-relax. Away from...that man."

Just laying eyes on her best friend gave Kyle the warm fuzzies and made her forget her father's cruelty. It wasn't like the evening with him had been all that bad. She'd certainly had worse, and none of that mattered now that Mavis was there. She meant to say hello Thomas as well, but she was nearly hopping on one foot to get her second shoe on as Mavis took her hand and lead her out of her yard. The blond's normally measured gait was easy to keep up with, but this rushed stride she'd taken up had Kyle hurrying to keep up, her boots gracelessly scuffing the ground as she resisted the urge to just jog. Kyle wasn't too much shorter than Mavis, but the difference in height was all leg. When the taller girl stopped abruptly, Kyle eyed her with a curious gaze, her hazel eyes catching the setting sun and making her squint at bit.

"I'm fine,"she assured her, blushing at the doting gestures. It was as embarrassing as it was endearing to have Mavis fawn over her. She craved the physical contact, but the longer Mavis kept Thomas around, the more she questioned whether she really should take so much joy in it. It took a moment for Kyle to realize that Mavis had said she'd texted her, more concerned with whether or not Mavis had noticed the knot that was forming beneath her dark wavy hair where her father had cuffed her. She was distracted by the normally poised young woman's breathless and worried tone. "You texted," Kyle repeated in question, pulling her phone out of her back pocket, where she'd stowed it on her way out of the house. Frowning, she opened her lock screen to see the missed notification. "Shit, I'm sorry," she apologized. "I was playing my keyboard with my headphones on. My phone was on the bed. I figured you two were, you know..." she felt more heat come to her cheeks and she shrugged as she said, "Busy. Or something." She glanced at Thomas and then back to Mavis. "Was there something you needed, did you miss me, or were your Spidy Senses tingling or something?"

"I...I don't think now is a good time, Thomas. M-maybe we should--"

Kyle frowned. What was she nervous about? She glanced between the lovers and couldn't decipher anything going on between them. She was surprised when Mavis, without any cue that was obvious to her, composed herself and asked her to the coffee house. Why was she being so formal? The answer the coffee -- and really anything that concerned spending time with Mavis-- was always Yes. The round-about way of saying We Need to Talk put a chill of fear down Kyle's spine as though someone had dripped a single bead of cold water down her back. What could she possibly have to talk to her about that was so formal? Were they in trouble?

"I'm all about coffee and getting away from my sperm donor, but..."Kyle trailed off, eyes ping-ponging between the two taller teens before she continued."You two are being super sketch. You're not like, about to tell me that you're pregnant or running away to elope or something, right? Because I don't recommend bringing me to a public place to break that kind of news," she said warily, trying to be playful about it, but knowing that Mavis, as her best friend, would see through it to her genuine anxiety over their cryptic conversations.

Mavis seemed to tense at Kyle's words, though it was clear from her face she was just confused. Her gaze was stock still on Kyle's face, calling to mind the expression 'deer in the headlights'. It might have been charming, if she didn't look so nervous. Her boyfriend on the other hand just gave a sneaky smile. The kind boys made when they were playing with their girlfriends or wives. Mavis *did* enjoy teasing him when the two of them were alone or with friends. This was the perfect chance for payback. Instead of turning to Mavis, he nodded to Kyle. As gravely as he could, given the smile on his face.

"Mhmm--they're twins. We want you to be the godmother."

That roused Mavis from her shock. And while some men would have to worry about upsetting their girl--or simply sleeping on the couch that night--Mavis had never been the type to take some playful banter from her lover the wrong way. A smile sprouted on her face as she turned towards him, doing her best to look cross. A playful slap struck his arm, transforming his smile into a laugh. "You're terrible darling, and after I told you how hard this was for me!"

The first playful slap was followed by another on Thomas's upper arm. When he and Mavis had first met, Thomas had been a lithe, timid boy. A nerd with thick glasses and a scrawny physique. Since he started dating Mavis though, he had been doing his best to measure up to what he thought were her expectations. Hours in front of a computer were replaced by hours in the gym. His old gaming and anime shirts had been replaced by more chicc clothes, and what of his old clothes he still had stood out tighter against his developing muscles. A slap like that months ago might have had him backing away. Now he met it with a smile. One she readily returned. Her 'disciplining' of her man complete, she turned back to Kyle, still looking nervous, though a little more at ease.

"No, nothing like that Kyle--Thomas and I had just been talking over our plans for our lives and we wanted to share them with you."

Mavis's stomach felt as if it were alive, and tying itself in knots when she said that. She had often stopped by Kyle Lynn's house to invite her on trips out of the house and away from her father. It was all Mavis could think to do for Kyle. The mall, swimming pool, forest, cinema and the coffee house had all been familiar stops for the two growing up, especially in the past few years with Kyle's mother gone. But this time was different, she knew. Mavis had been thirteen when she first felt inklings of attraction towards her childhood friend. She had fought against them at first. Trying to suppress her feelings as she waited for the right man to come along into her life. Part of it had been out of fear. Kyle's father probably wouldn't have approved of her dating someone like Thomas, much less another girl, and she wouldn't have been able to be there for Kyle. Now however, they were both adults, beautiful and sexy. She couldn't keep hiding this away to herself. And if that meant sharing her childhood friend with her love, and keeping Kyle away from Sergeant Anderson, all the better.

Kyle felt her heart stop when Thomas confirmed her fears, and felt her jaw slacken. She very nearly screamed in shock at the couple, but Mavis recovered faster than Kyle and smacked her boyfriend. She was smiling in that I-want-to-be-mad-but-I'm-totally-not sort of way, which threw the shorter girl for a loop. He was joking?! But Mavis was saying how hard this was for her, but clearly she wasn't unhappy? Kyle's thoughts were entirely a jumble of what-if's as the couple exchanged playful discourse. It didn't put her at ease at all. Not when Mavis still looked so unsure. The young blond always seemed to have a handle on what was going on, and how things would play out; to see her ill at ease, especially if it was sharing careful plans with her, well... At that point, all Kyle wanted was some chocolate and maybe a comfy sweater. The couple was seriously ratcheting up her anxiety at that point. Curiosity was winning out, though, and she tried for some humor, but it was clear that the dair haired teen was skeptical that anything the two had to share with her was going to be good news.

"As long as you're sure those future plan don't include any number of babies in the next year..." she said, her voice trying for humor but mostly coming out unsure.

Was she going to lose Mavis to a life of domestic bliss with Thomas? Were they going to move and leave her behind? What if Mavis really was pregnant? All these thoughts buzzed through her head as she eyed her best friend up and down. She looked as thin as ever, and her breasts didn't look any bigger than they should be... That must have been a joke, right? It didn't make her feel any safer as the fear of her best mate and crush leaving the immediate area while she was stuck with her father and going to comminity college filled her with dread. It made her eye Thomas warily. He had to know how close the two girls were... would he care, though? Could he really understand? Best friends moved away all the time. And how could Kyle ask Mavis to stay behind if Thomas wanted to leave town? She understood her attraction to him, especially as he'd filled out the last few months. Like Kyle, he understood and apprecaited Mavis's quirks and eccentricities. And they had a chemistry and intimacy between them that Kyle envied. She wanted that kind of intimacy with Mavis-- She'd never tell her that, but it didn't make her want it any less.

With that in mind, she took Mavis's hand and nodded down the road. "If there's no babies or eloping invovled, then I guess it's safe to hit the coffee shop. You owe me something sweet after that bit of shock, anyway," she said, her tone more convincing now as she teased the two of them.

Mavis let out a little breath of relief, before her hand came over to take her friend's. The touch seemed to lighten her mood. At least a little. Her smile seemed a little brighter, but she was unusually quiet as they walked down the sidewalk. Thomas walked on Kyle's other side, his hands in the pocket of his leather jacket. Now and then he would glance past Kyle, to give his sweetheart an encouraging look.

The walk down the street was slow, giving the two of them plenty of time to think of other things. The road was familiar to both of them. It was on that corner they had opened their first lemonade stand together. Here they had raced up and down the road on their bikes (Mavis had insisted on an old fashioned red and white one). That park was where they would sit and talk about their hopes and dreams for the future. How often, Mavis wondered, had she laid there, wanting to tell Kyle what was really on her mind?

The three of them had been walking about twenty minutes when they could see it. The new coffee shop. When the two had been growing up, the place had been a 50s style diner that had seen better days. While in the 80s it had been a major draw for young people and families, by the time the two were in elementary school it had degraded into a slovenly place frequented only by people traveling through town. By Middle School, the place had been closed, its distinctive design left to decay, a mournful host for ivy and insects. That is, until an enterprising entrepreneur found the old place. It had opened again two years ago this time as a coffee house. The place had quickly drawn in older customers with their nostalgia for the old diner, and high school students, with its unique blends and convenient location near the school. The building was an eclectic mix. A melding of 50s retro stylings and modern embellishments.

The bell over the door chimed as they stepped in. They were greeted by the sound of alternate rock as they came inside. The kind of inoffensive rock and roll popular at low key college parties and coffee shops around the country. A young woman, perhaps a year younger than Mavis or Kyle raised her head from behind the neon lit counter, before giving them a smile and a wave.

"Hey! Welcome to '57! What can I get for you?"

Mavis stepped to the counter. A flicker of motion caught her eye as she glanced to one side, watching as Thomas went to find a corner booth for them. Turning just to give her a wink. Taking strength from it, she turned back to the counter with a small smile. "J-just a small coffee. Ah, Kyle? Would you like anything? We can cover you."

Kyle didn't mind the quiet walk, except that it was unusual for Mavis to not mention something idly as they strolled. She must have really had something major weighing on her mind. Kyle did her best not to add to whatever pressure Mavis had on her by humming softly as they walked, swinging their arms leisurely between them as she laced their fingers. At least Mavis wasn't dragging her down the street anymore in a crazy hurry. Kyle wasn't sure if the rush was to get her away from her Dad or if she was in a rush to spill the beans about whatever news they had to share. She genuinely wondered if Thomas knew what went on in her house. Had Mavis told? Was the blonds reaction to the older man, and Kyle's fear of him, tell enough? She wasn't sure how she felt about to the idea of her best friend's lover knowing about that part of her life. Thomas was great and all, but she didn't have the same bond with him that Mavis did, and it didn't come close to what she felt for her best friend. She tried to shake those less than platonic thoughts out of her head when they arrived at the coffee shop.

"...We can cover you."

Kyle got stuck for a moment on Mavis's choice of words. When did they become a "we" like that? More often than not it was Mavis treating Kyle because the segeant limited her treats, but Kyle found herself wondering when exactly it had become "we" when it came to her money. The thought of them surprising her with eloping turned into fear of it being past tense as she ordered a frozen caramel espresso drink. As the barista turned to prepare their beverages, Kyle let go of Mavis's hand in favor of snaking an arm around her waist in a side-hug.

"Thanks for the treat," she said quietly, on tiptoe as she leaned her head against the taller girl's shoulder. She took in the fresh scent of her best friend and crush and held into her for a second or two longer than was surely necessary for the small gesture before she relaxed back to a normal stance, digging her hand into her back pockets to hide her nervous fighting. Generally, when anxious, Kyle's thumb scratches the pad of her index finger.

When the barista calls out to them that she'll bring their drinks over to the table, Kyle nods to where Thomas settled in and said, "Lead the way, boss lady."

Last edited:
Mavis turned, her bright smile framed by her long flowing blonde hair. She looked happy. Happy at having Kyle so near. Her hand tightened gently around Kyle's, as if fearful something might separate the two in the short walk to the booth. As it was, the crowd in the coffee shop was negligible. When they came to the booth, Thomas smiled at the two from where he had leaned casually against the seat of the booth, watching the two girls with an easy smile. The look seemed to reassure Mavis. She sat down across from him, not bothering to let go of Kyle as she slowly slid inside. Thomas's smile broadened at that.

"You two look cute together, you know that?"

She didn't manage to say anything in response. Though the blush at her cheeks might have hinted his words had affected her more than he intended. Mavis brushed at her skirt, trying not to overthink what she was about to do. She was so distracted she didn't notice their drinks had arrived until Thomas placed her coffee cup beside her place. The smile was genuine, though it was hiding something before she took a small drink. Her eyes grew large. She had forgotten she had ordered a plain coffee. It was only after she had swallowed down her drink that Mavis dabbed at her lips politely. "Oh my, what was I thinking...I didn't even think to add any cream..."

Bright blue eyes turned, meeting Kyle's. Mavis's rear pivoted in her seat, the better to take in Kyle's face. If Kyle looked down, she could see that her skirt was riding a little, unintentionally showing off her milky, cleanshaven thighs. If Mavis knew, she would doubtless be flustered, but her gaze and the expression on them seemed to demand her eyes. Both her hands surrounded Kyle's, surrounding it like a secure blanket. An unspoken promise. That the two girls would never be forced apart. "I have some exciting news to share with you Kyle. I was talking with Thomas and I...I thought that..."

The expression faltered. Her mouth opened, but nothing came out. Then she slowly closed her mouth, and lowered her head as though in thought. Before it rose again, with her loving smile back in place. "Thomas was thinking of moving to a city nearby to study computer sciences. We were browsing around online and found an apartment we could live in. Its a short drive away, maybe thirty miles. We...thought you might want to come with us? Its nearby, and you would be living with me and Thomas, so we thought your father might approve. It would get you away from him, and we could spend more time together."

Kyle felt her her chest warm when Thomas said they looked cute together. Her blushes always started at her chest, and worked their way up to her cheeks. The low cut of her tank top under the open flannel did nothing to hide the pink that turned to rose as she followed the movement of Mavis's hands as the blond adjusted her skirt, failing to cover herself up. How many times had she imagined herself between those long, thin-yet-shapely legs? Where Kyle had strength and curves, Mavis was lithe and elegant. Kyle had always thought that Mavis was classic beauty, where Kyle herself was more of a contemporary look. The strong and cuvy vibe was only more recently popular and it did wonders for her self esteem. She still wished she had the more Sophia Vegara look that her late mother had had, but she was happy with her sporty appearance more and more as time went on. That didn't change the fact that she found Mavis infinitely more attractive but it was less about wanting to be her and more about wanting to be with her. The boob envy turned to desire, the jealousy into want. Her consentration was broken when Mavis took her hands again, and she nearly forgot her less-than-platon thoughts as her attention moved from Mavis's body to her eyes and her words.

"Thomas was thinking of moving to a city... thirty miles..."

Kyle felt her stomach drop 20 feet below sea level when Mavis said they'd be moving 30 miles away. Thirty freaking miles was all she could think. Her thoughts were running rampant so thoroughly gutting her that she missed Mavis saying that the couple wanted her with them. She had to replay Mavi's words several times in her mind before they made sense, the process taking several long, awkward seconds. Her expression never faltered from alert attentiveness-- Kyle had a lot of practice keeping a poker face because of her father, but Mavis was generally able to spot her tells. The subtle tensing of her shoulders and hands, her pupils shriking to pinpricks before dilating back as the realization hit her that Mavis wasn't trying to abandon her. It was amazing how fast the mind could work--- In the few seconds of reality that felt like minutes her mind had panicked, wondering how the heck she was going to sneak of out her house and get 30 miles away to Mavis in the late nights after her father had himself a bender. How they would meet for coffee last minute if she was so far... And so quickly those thoughts were replaced by what it would be like to live together as best friends and have girls nights all the time. To style each others' hair in the mornings, to sit snuggled up under all the blankets and pillows they could find and watch romcoms or zombie films... And then all at once she felt dread.

Thomas. Thomas would be there. She glanced at him, wondering what he really felt about it. How could the three of them cohabitate together and one of them not feel like a third wheel? They were good about it a majority of the time. Thomas really was a gem, hanging back and letting them be giggly besties and listen to their inside jokes and stories. And Mavis would bounced between the two of them, a natural at splitting her attention... but Kyle couldn't stop the feeling of envy that filled her when Thomas' arms wound around her secret crush. She couldn't staunch the desire to replace him when their lips brushed and they shared loving whispers.

Her eyes ping-ponged between the two a few times before she set them back on her best friend, drawing back her hands.

"I don't... Uhm..." she bit her lip, unable to vocalize the desire to speak with Mavis alone. This was Thomas's decision as much as it was Mavis's, she was sure. The two were a team. But how could she say, in front of Thomas, that she worried that she could be a strain on their relationship? There was no way in hell she would mention her own jealousy, either. Not even in private with Mavis, not even under duress. Oh God, she thought, what if I hear them fucking or something? But the idea of waking up in the morning and having coffee with Mavis and her father not looming about was as close to heaven on earth as she thought she'd get, since she didn't think she had a shot at actually having her romantic feelings recipricated. And who knew? Maybe seeing Mavis and Thomas in domestic bliss would help her get over her crush... It couldn't sting forever, right?

"I don't know if my dad would go for it," Kyle hedged, hoping she didn't pause too long. "I mean, I can ask. The worst thing he can do is say no, right?" Kyle and Mavis knew very well it wasn't the worst thing he could do, but Kyle still held onto the hope that Thomas wasn't privy to the abuse that Kyle tolerated. "I mean, as long as its on a bus route so I can I can get to the community college, and it costs less than being in the dorms, he can't have too many arguments..."

She looked to Thomas and spoke again, "As long as you're sure..." She looked to Mavis again as she trailed off and bit her lip, then continued, "I'm not gonna be like, impeding on your like, domestic cutesy-ness..."

Last edited:
Mavis silently turned her head towards Thomas. As if sensing his girlfriend's silent gaze, his own eyes turned to meet hers. Such unspoken language was common among young couples, but it was still astounding how quickly the two of them had bonded. Kyle had been there firsthand to see how the guys at school always tried to chase her. How Mavis had returned their stares and flirtations with cool reservation. Kyle had been there to hear Mavis's complaints, her longings for something transcendental. She had been there when Mavis came home from her dates, depressed, at times crying. Mavis would be there for one date, maybe two, but she never was there for a third. Until Thomas came along.

The young woman's gaze returned to Kyle. Her normal, composed expression was there. But there was something behind it, as if she were doing her best to hide a beaming smile. Beneath the table, Kyle could feel the soft brush of Mavis's shoe against hers. The inside of her foot comfortingly against the interior of Kyle's. "As long as I have you by my side Kyle, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather share my home with."

Thomas cleared his throat playfully, as if to remind her of his presence. Mavis just poked him in the side, though her smile only grew at his touch. Their charming moment together was interrupted by their server arriving. The near silent sound of a paper cup being placed against the table. Their server was a young woman of Persian descent, who gave the three a charming smile. Mavis's brow did the thing. The one where she felt as if someone were trying to take her man. A bizarre momentary twitch. Fortunately, Thomas didn't seem to take an interest in the newcomer beyond a polite smile as he pulled out his wallet.

"How much?"

"Eight-sixty two. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, no thanks. Here. Keep the change."

He handed the young woman the ten before he turned back to the two of them. Their server, glad at the pay, smiled and turned back for the counter. The look Mavis had faded. Replaced by her soft smile. "I'd like to be there with you when you talk to your father, Kyle. I'd be glad to answer any questions he has about the apartment we'll be renting, or the neighborhood. Its a very wholesome area, I don't think he'd object if I told him about it."

Of course, the neighborhood was perfect. Modest, with a small nightlife and a tight knit community. She and Thomas had been ever so lucky to find it. But she didn't want to go just to tell Kyle's father about how far away the corner store was, or the charming farmer's market. She knew how that man could be. Especially when Kyle said something that displeased him. If she were there however, he might hold his tongue. She could cover for Kyle, or encourage her to be bolder. Most of all, she could convey she would be there to take care of Kyle. Despite his temper, Mavis had to believe that's why he was the way he was. Because he wanted her to be taken care of.

Even if he didn't know how to take care of her.

The look on Mavis' face as Kyle said she'd be willing to ask her Dad about moving in together was a look Kyle recognized. It was similar to the look Mavis would have when her father said yes to something, not realizing the girls were going to get up to trouble. Sleep overs where they sneaked out to a bonfire in the woods, or to see an R rated movie, or to simply stay awake long enough to catch a meteor shower -- Kyle loved those. But more than the activities she loved the that Mavis was the facilitator and her companion in adventure.

Kyle's chest warmed and a blush crept up her neck at her best friend's endearing words. Even as she tried not to read into the footsies beneath the table she completely forgot about Thomas as she was so absorbed in the gaze of the angelic blond before her. When he coughed Kyle felt the blush pink the tops of her ears and was relieved at the appearance of the barista. She was too busy gathering herself during the quick exchange between the server and Thomas to notice Mavis' reaction to it. She looked up to meet Mavis' eyes as she expressed her desire to be the buffer when the conversation with her father was to be had. Kyle couldn't imagine bringing this up to her father without Mavis there.

A nervous laugh escaped Kyle and a tense smile cracked her face. "I couldn't imagine having that conversation without you there," she said seriously, and then added with some humor, "Would your parents come, too?"

"No. I will be all the backup you need."

A soft smile creased Mavis's face. Before she shook her head slowly. Sending her blond curls bouncing playfully off of either shoulder. It was spoken lightheartedly. Almost like a joke. The hand that found Kyle Lynn's hand and squeezed however was enough to say there was more to Mavis's words that just hot air. That Mavis would be with her, every step of the way, until Kyle Lynn was free to live her life with Mavis.
A soft cough came from Thomas. Mavis turned, before offering an apologetic look. The sensation of a foot against Kyle's own did not stop however, the two soles rubbing affectionately against one another. "Sorry darling. Ladies are talking."

Thomas lifted his own steaming drink. A cup of cocoa, caffeine being too strong for his tastes. He said nothing in response. Simply leaning towards Mavis and pecking her on the cheek. The gesture seemed to freeze Mavis for a moment, before she went back to normal. Aside of course from the bright pink blush that rose in her cheeks. She looked down as though recovering herself, before she tried moving on, though her embarrassment was still clear.

"So, ah, the apartment. The one we'll be staying in--its a nice little townhouse. I-its divided into four sections. They're a little pricey, but between the three of us, I think we can cover it. There's...lots of windows for light, and more than enough space for us to have two bedrooms and still have a living or dining room. There's a bathroom and kitchenette, and a garden. The neighborhood is nice, and the walls are thick so you could play pia...why are you making that face, darling?"

Her attention was distracted by Thomas, who had managed to suppress a spit take at the mention of 'thick walls'. He hadn't meant for his mind to wander during her talk. But thick walls would have many more benefits for the couple than just letting Kyle Lynn play piano any hour of the day. He set his cup of cocoa down. Ignoring the line of whipped cream on his upper lip. It probably made him look like an idiot, he knew. But Mavis would love it.

"We were going to take a look after we asked you to come with us. Maybe decide where all our things would go. Why don't you come along with us?"

"...the walls are thick..."

While Kyle didn't have as noticeable response as Thomas, her mind was in the same place his was. She tried not to think too much about Thomas and Mavis hooking up, but she was generally unsuccessful. Mavis was very good at answering her texts in a timely manner but other times not so much, and there were few reasons that it happened; Number 1 being her sex drive. Kyle giggled along with her the night after Mavis and Thomas hooked up for the first time, and listened to Mavis describe how simultaneously she could be so satisfied and yet insatiable because of him. The descriptions gave Kyle her own weird juxtaposition of being jealous and turned on by the idea all at once. Kyle was grateful that Thomas distracted Mavis for the few moments she needed to get her mind out of the gutter. While Kyle was good at not showing her thoughts on her face, she could never hide her blush.

As her chest and her ears reddened, she listened to Mavis's invitation and her eyes bounced between the couple.

"For real," she asked, "like right now right now?"

Her father hadn't given her any explicit restrictions before she left the house but he hadn't given her permission to go 30 miles away from her house either. But she was with Mavis, and Mavis could generally do no wrong in her father's eyes. It would totally be worth it, she decided quickly. Even if she did get in trouble for it, it would make the idea of moving away feel more real if she could see the place. The idea of leaving town and living with Mavis, while enticing, just didn't seem possible with how her father kept her locked away like some Disney Damsel in a tower. Although none of the wicked parents in Disney were quite as harsh as the sergeant, she supposed.

"No time like the present!"

Mavis happily responded, smiling brightly as her golden hair fell around her. She stood up, grabbing her things. Thomas easing towards her in the booth. His eyes went to Kyle as he waited for his girlfriend to finish checking her purse. His soft blue eyes turned, magnified by his glasses, until they fell upon her. For a moment, his face seemed to stop. As though he were seeing Kyle for the first time. His eyes did not traverse her body or stare unduly. But for a distinct moment, their eyes met.

A moment later he turned. His dark wild hair shifting as he did. But the faint shade of pink which rose in his cheeks gave his thoughts away. As he did, Mavis smiled. Triumphantly holding up her car keys as she turned. Nearly bouncing on her feet as she did. "C'mon silly! It won't take us more than an hour. We've been together for longer before. We just need to be quick and discrete."

"That's what--"

"Shhh~"

The way she said it almost came off as comforting. A small smile on Mavis's face as she raised a finger to her boyfriend's lips. Before with a playful wink to Kyle, she stepped from the shop. She almost seemed to skip, her skirt swaying as she walked, then sashayed down the street. Thomas close behind her. The walk to her house wasn't far. Only about ten minutes' walk. Before the familiar two-story Victorian, sat her familiar car. Meticulously well-kempt, it was black with yellow highlights, matching Mavis's hair. As she unlocked the car, Thomas and Kyle standing behind her, the two could see it was meticulously clean. Almost as if it had come off the lot that day. The only thing that gave it away were a few footprints on the mats, and a large afghan blanket which lay in the back. Happily, Mavis slid inside. Thomas joining her on the opposite side. Before Mavis glanced back at Kyle with a smile.

"Ready?"

She didn't wait for an answer. With a flurry of motion, she gunned the engine. The little car charging into the empty road with a smooth roar. It swerved wildly along the road, Thomas laughing nervously as she did. Before a moment later, the car was zooming its way along the road to the next town over. Where the rest of the two's life together awaited.

...And perhaps, Kyle's with them...

Kyle felt her blush deepen when she caught Thomas's gaze. She thought he must know where her mind had gone and felt caught. His answering blush made her think that he was embarrassed or self conscious that both of them had the same train of thought. She was relieved that he broke the tension by attempting to throw in the That's what she said joke and giggled as Mavis shushed him.

Kyle snagged a napkin and handed it to Thomas so he could wipe the chocolate from his lips and followed Mavis out of the coffee shop, trailing behind the two taller teens on the walk to Mavis's house. She couldn't help watching Mavis as they walked, the skirt hiding nothing from Kyle's imagination, having seen her best friend in every state of dress and undress over the years. She had trouble keeping her mind away from those sorts of thoughts until she was seating in the back of the car, buckling in. Nothing sobered her thoughts like being a passenger to Mavis's driving. The only negative thing that her father had ever had to say about the blond was that she drove her car like she stole it, that was hardly and insult.

Her thoughts didn't stay on Mavis's driving long, though. The anticipation of seeing the apartment, and wondering what the future could bring, hand her mind wandering. Her eyes betrayed her thoughts a bit as she glanced from Mavis to Thomas through the rearview mirror. She sometimes had trouble reconciling the, frankly, hot things that Mavis and Thomas did together since he seemed pretty reserved and bookish. But over the year he'd really filled out and gotten stronger and it wasn't so hard to picture.

Can I even deal with the two of them fucking all the time she wondered, equally concerned with her own jealousy as much as it would just be a little awkward to find Mavis sprawled on the breakfast table if she came out unexpectedly or some other likely situation.

In an effort to sober her thoughts, she went to her usual routine of Would You Rather questions.

"Would you rather be an extra in a Box Office Smash, or play lead in a total bomb," Kyle asked no one in particular.

Mavis was silent as the question slipped from Kyle's lips. Though she knew the other woman had heard her. What's more, judging by the way she sat up at the question, she had an answer. But Mavis was always very focused on her driving. With the downtown as packed as it was, that was probably a good thing. Her eyes carefully scanned the road as they moved with the traffic. Thomas on the other hand turned his head back to face her. A small, but confident smile on his face.

"If its a smash? It won't be glamorous, but you can use that to build yourself up. Its a good way to make connections and friends. You can use that to build up to your next performance, then the next."

Beside him, Mavis bit her lip. Mulling over the question as she eased herself into the next lane. It was as they moved in a slower group of cars, that she leaned her head back. Smiling at Kyle as she did. Flashing her white teeth. Green eyes glittering with joy at being surrounded by her two dearest friends. "My beloved Thomas makes a good argument. But. Its a bit presumptive to assume you will have another shot at being on the silver screen. And a movie is not always ruined by a bad performance from an actress. I might lean towards his answer. But...its the only guarantee."

The car shifted towards the off-ramp. Drifting down from the congestion of downtown to the fast moving roadway. At this pace, they would be there in no time. Mavis turned her eyes back to the road. Easing the car forward. The tension in her shoulders and forearms was back, and her face rigidly on the road. Though she still managed to keep one foot in the conversation.

"Which would you choose?"

Their answers interested Kyle, as hers lay in the complete opposite direction. She supposed that someone like Mavis would feel confident in their ability to continue to propel themselves forward. Kyle, on the other hand, always felt like she only had one shot to get things right.

"I would choose lead in a flop," Kyle explained. "Not making a smash hit at the box office doesn't mean it's a bad movie, it's just bad marketing. Think of like, Fight Club or The Big Lebowski, or Suicide Squad; none of their leads lost in the end, you know? I figure my work would speak for itself." The brunette was blushing by the end, not wanting to sound more confident than she was. "But I can see why you'd pick support cast in a smash, Mavis. You'd stick right out even if you were meant to blend in," she said, meaning it as a compliment. "I'd have to be the main character to get noticed or I'd fade into the background-- if only because I'm shorter than everyone else." The self deprecating humor was normal for her, but lately she had meant it with little to no malice towards herself; a gift from Mavis through their years of friendship as the blond girl built her confidence up.

Mavis's eyes flicked from the speedy highway to look at Kyle in the rearview mirror. Her silent green eyes radiating warmth and concern. After a moment, her right hand left the steering wheel. Slithering behind her. Feeling sightlessly, her slender hand softly patted Kyle's knee. Momentarily taking her hand for a squeeze. Before it retreated back to the driver's wheel. Thomas meanwhile silently watched. Smiling gently. As Mavis's hand left, he turned his head. Blue eyes gazing back at Kyle.

"You would look cute as Harley Quinn."

If there was a followup to that thought, Kyle didn't get to hear it. Mavis playfully held out her arm. Gently punching her boyfriend in the arm. Thomas meanwhile let out an almost comically quiet 'ow'. Turning his attention to taking care of his 'bruised' arm.
A moment later, Mavis turned off the highway. Easing up a ramp towards the nearby town, and the happy future they hoped to build there. With Kyle. Outside, the roadways gave way to pristine homesteads and small office buildings lining the road. The high rise of the university nearby could be seen peering from the top of a hill nearby like an old castle. The car was silent for a few moments, before a light ahead flicked red. Mavis eased the car to a stop. Thomas meanwhile glanced back at her. A strange look entered his eyes, as if he had seen her for the first time (again). But he still forced himself to speak, with a question of his own.

"Would you rather be a queen in a medieval kingdom, or the first colonist on Mars?"

"You would look cute as Harley Quinn"

The blush on Kyle's cheeks spread until the tips of her ears were bright. The unexpected comment from Thomas was enough to make her blush, but Mavis hitting him over it made the comment hit different. She would have taken it as playful teasing, but if Mavis swatting his arm over the comment, did that mean he meant it? Obviously Mavis was being playful about it-- what threat could Kyle possibly to their relationship, after all -- but did her reaction mean something? Her emerald gaze bounced between the two teens in the front seat through the rearview, and she, again, caught Thomas looking at her. It wasn't a strange look in the sense of being weird or uncomfortable-- but it was strange in that he didn't normally look AT her that way. Usually Kyle felt like background noise to him; just an accessory to the main attraction, Mavis. This look wasn't a passing glance.

"Would you rather be a queen in a medieval kingdom, or the first colonist on Mars?"

That was a good question! Kyle gave it about 5 full seconds before she answered.

"I think I'd rather be the first colonist on Mars. You haven't exactly met my Dad, but believe me when I say I wouldn't have been allowed to marry for love back in those days," Kyle said with a giggle. "I'd have been bartered off for a profit or burned at the stake, for sure." Smiling, she turned the question back to him. "What about you? Royalty or Revolutionary?"

The question was enough to make him ponder for a moment. His eyes shifted behind his glasses. Gazing at the carpet between the two. He probably would have kept on staring there, if he had not noticed Kyle's leg. The jeggings did little to hide her body. Kyle's athletic, toned legs drew his gaze upwards. Up her knee, to her thighs. Then up to her wrinkled shirt over her modest bust, and to Kyle's face. Had this happened even a year before, Thomas was sure he would have blushed and looked away. Shy, timid and nerdy, he had never done well with the small flirtations people shared. It was a testament to the confidence Mavis had built in him, that his blue eyes remained on hers. Even if he did feel a blush build again.

"That's...a good one..."

"I would be a royal." Mavis said. Her gentle smile catching in the mirror as she gazed back at Kyle. Moments before her green eyes turned back to the road. Gently biting her lip as she eased the car down a side road. Homesteads and fences passing them on either side. "A princess may not rule her kingdom or decide who she marries. But she has other powers. I could guilt-trip my father into changing laws, wear beautiful dresses at balls, change the world around me in small, subtle ways. Then, when everything was just how I liked it...I could run away before my wedding, marry my true love, and settle down on a farm."

The happiness in her face as she glanced to Thomas was positively infectious. He returned her smile, warmly sharing in her joy. Before the moment was broken. Her eyes went back to the road. His to Kyle, his expression drifting back into the attraction they had shared before. "I would probably be a royal too. I would rally an army to rescue Princess Kyle from her tyrannical father."

Mavis had to fight to keep from biting her lip. The thought of her Thomas, dressed in the finest armor of a knight, riding to rescue a helpless maiden was charming. Certainly an idea she would have to save for the bedroom later. Though she knew she had to put up some resistance. Otherwise, Kyle would get more of her man's attention than she. And she couldn't have that. "What, you wouldn't rescue me first?"

"I'd rescue both of you. I'm strong enough to carry two princesses."

The man's arm flexed, showing off his physique. It was hard to gauge his arm behind the leather jacket he wore. Though as his black t-shirt shifted, the outline of his torso could be seen. It was hard to believe just over a year ago, he had been more skin and bone. Mavis for her part, eased on the brakes. Slowly turning the car into a driveway. Through the window, there could be seen a modest house. Not the most grand of rental properties. But just right for a couple starting out together. The yard stretched out behind it, ringed by trees and flowers, offering plenty of space for leisure.

The two were silent as they emerged, though radiating joy at this new, exciting time. After Thomas had opened the car door for Kyle, she would be able to see the happy glimmer in his eyes. Though it was Mavis who was more excited. Normally composed and genteel, her face struggled to hide her joy. Soft coos escaping her lips as they approached the house. Pointing at features here and there. Thomas pulled a key free from his pocket. Slid it into the lock, and opened it. Revealing a surprisingly large living room, branching off into smaller rooms. Mavis clasped her hands together.

"Oh, its so wonderful, don't you think ThomASSS!"

Her words of quiet joy were replaced by a shriek of delight as his powerful arms swept around her. Laughing as he carried her, princess-style, through the door. The teen had to step sideways to accommodate the narrow doorway. Before setting her down in the living room. "Ye olde custom, my lady. A man should always bear his maiden across the threshold of their new home."

"That is if you are married!" Mavis replied, mock indignation undermined by a laugh. "And how do you think poor Kyle feels being left out?"

"I suppose I'll have to carry both of you then." The dark-haired teen replied confidently. Though that confidence seemed to vanish as he turned back to Kyle. Replaced by the same mood the two shared whenever they had a moment together. He held out a hand, not sure how Kyle would react. If she was uncomfortable with the idea, he would lead her inside, by the hand or not. Though something in the blue of his gaze seemed to plea, to let him carry her in his arms.

"I would be a royal."

Kyle didn't miss Thomas's look, but didn't get a chance to think on it as Mavis answered the question, her eyes snapping to her best friend like an electromagnet called home. It didn't surprise her that Mavis would choose to be royalty way-back-when. Not just because she exuded the poise and self-assurance that one needed to succeed in that way, but because she just looked the part if nothing else. She felt like her blush would never fade as Mavis met her gaze in the rearview mirror.

"I could run away before my wedding, marry my true love, and settle down on a farm."

When the happy expression in Mavis's face and and tone were directed to Thomas, a pang of jealousy and pain rang through her that was hard to ignore.

'Idiot,' she scolded herself silently and looked down at her boots, embarrassed at her own unrequited feelings getting the best of her.

"I would probably be a royal too. I would rally an army to rescue Princess Kyle from her tyrannical father."

The answer from Thomas was endearing, but she didn't put any stock in it. Anyone with sense knew that she and Mavis were a package deal, but in the medieval fantasy in her mind, Kyle was a lower-class handmaiden to the rich, beautiful queen that was Mavis. She laughed when Mavis seemed to fake offense at the idea that Thomas would rescue her before Mavis.

"You're tenacious and cunning enough to rescue yourself," Kyle said, more to the floorboards than to her best friend. "You'd probably be there waiting in front of the burnt remains of your enemies asking what took us so long." She looked up to see Thomas flexing and got a giggle out of it. It didn't escape her notice how much he'd filled out since he had gotten together with Mavis, and she found him cute. It wasn't like men were invisible to her-- everyone just paled in comparison to her attraction to Mavis.

When they pulled into the driveway, Kyle's eyes widened. It wasn't huge or anything, but it was so pretty. While she never expected Mavis to settle for something drab in a questionable neighborhood, she hadn't expected her first place to be so... cute. She smiled widely as Mavis pointed out the features, easily picturing them having coffee or tea outside and wondering where the rooms were. It place as so small so her mind did wander to ponder about noise, but those thoughts were interrupted as Mavis was suddenly swept off her feet and squealing delightfully.

"Ye olde custom, my lady. A man should always bear his maiden across the threshold of their new home."

"That is if you are married!"

"She's hardly a maiden," Kyle giggled, finding the scene endearing and comical.

"And how do you think poor Kyle feels being left out?"

At Mavis's statement, barrage of emotions hit her at once, the biggest of them being embarrassment. She felt like a 5th wheel enough on her own without Mavis pointing it out.

"I suppose I'll have to carry both of you then."

Kyle's green eyes snapped to his with a look that was one of surprise and apprehension. It wasn't that she was scared of Thomas, it was just unusual for anyone other than Mavis to touch her-- really ever. The most physical contact outside of the intimacy between her and her best friend was a high-five or good-game smack from a teammate, aside from her father sometimes managing a side-hug when he made it to her games and she played well, but those were few and far between. Thomas looked playful and confident when he made the statement, but she felt that her deer-in-the-headlights expression had sucked the jovial tone right out of him. Did he sense her apprehension? She didn't want to make it weird so she forced a smile on and gave him permission to carry her, relaxing her posture with practiced habit.

"You deserve to carry at least one virgin over a threshold in your life," she said, going for the self-deprecating humor to disperse her awkwardness, and even teased him a bit as she added, "I'm smaller than Mavis but I'm still heavier-- don't drop me, Noodle Arms." He hardly had the noodle-arms he did when he and Mavis first started dating, but where was the fun in acknowledging that? Kyle wasn't heavy by any means, but she was an athlete so the strength in her small frame was simply denser than the elegant, taller dancer's figure that Mavis had.

When Thomas and Mavis had first gotten together, Kyle could not see the attraction. That, coupled with plain jealousy, had had her teasing the boy a bit in the beginning. Over the year though, he'd grown on her and honestly (if only to herself) she could admit that he'd gotten more attractive to her over time, both in looks and his personality as she'd gotten to know him.

Last edited:
"I should hope he knows, he was there."

Mavis said, her laugh exploding into countless silvery giggles. Years ago, a comment about her sex life—or rather, her supposed sex life—would have had her in a miserable stupor. Musing on how she had never touched one of the horndogs who was lining up to date her. Yet how every single one was so eager to say how he had seduced THE Mavis Black. And if it were one of those nights where Kyle couldn't peel away her dark mood, Mavis would have leaned her face on her knees and cried.

But those days were over. She had a wonderful man. The first time the two had made love, Mavis had excitedly told Kyle, with the excitement only two childhood friends could share. How Thomas had disarmed her, and stripped her bare. How the two had held each other on the hill over Blue Moon Valley, and watched the stars slowly come out one by one.

From behind Thomas, she watched Kyle. Her face a mask of excited anticipation. Thomas, on the other hand, looked gently from behind his glasses. His blue eyes gentle, playful and perhaps a little uncertain. Her words seemed to stir life back in him. Thomas's gentle smile returned. His thick black hair shifting in the breeze from their new lawn. He took a step towards her, before he stooped slightly. One arm of his leather jacket brushing the back of her leg. The other steadying her back, one arm sliding gently around her shoulder. Then, in a moment, he stood, lifting Kyle against his chest. Though perhaps not the most muscular, the firm muscle of his chest pressed against Kyle. Reassuring his newfound princess that he would not let her fall.

Stepping gently, Thomas eased her through the doorway. Careful not to bump her head or legs against the door frame. She could feel his arm shift beneath her as he moved. Her perky rear, resting on his forearm, moved ever so slightly as his hand eased into a better hold. Coming to rest between her thigh and her buttock to give her move comfort. The touch was not sexual, though Thomas seemed to realize it was more intimate. At least, going by the faint darkening of his cheeks.

At the display of his strength—or Kyle's light frame—Mavis clapped politely. Giving a cheer as the two passed through the door frame. "You two make a cute couple."

"W-wait, are you dumping me?"

"Perhaps I would rather be your side girl."

Mavis gave a little wink to both of them. Thomas's arms easing Kyle to the ground. As she felt the carpet beneath her feet, Mavis gave Kyle a light hug. Which faded into a sidelong embrace as she stepped to the side. Raising one arm to the sunlit room beyond. One arm holding Kyle against her. "Welcome, my darling Kyle, to our new palace. Far, far away from any overbearing fathers, and with your own knight within shouting distance."

Kyle giggled as Maris pointed out Thomas's role in the loss of her virginity. Kyle could only hope that whenever she decided to give herself to someone that it would be half as good as what Mavis had described. She really hoped that going to college, even though it was local, She would be able to meet someone she trusted enough to explore her sexuality with. No one at their High School appealed to her-- Not with Mavis around. Kyle was optimistic that the new environment would help her break the nostalgia and move on from her childhood crush, especially now with having her sth wheel Status in her face daily if they all lived together.

When Thomas approached, Kyle let him scoop her into his arms, a blush lighting up her face and chest as Mavis clapped. The exchange between the couple should have made her laugh more enthusiastically then she had-- afterall, the idea of Mavis being ANYONE'S side piece was comical ; She was far and away The Main Event -- but the wink Mavis served them did things for kyle that she was sure the blond beauty did not intend. She was also pleasantly Surprised by how secure she felt in Thomas's hold, and by how firm his chest was. Her nervous giggle turned genuine when her feet were under her and her best friend's arm was around her.

"Welcome, my darling Kyle, to our new palace. Far, far away from any overbearing fathers, and with your own knight within shouting distance."

Kyle tried her best not to tear up at the statement. She knew that Mavis meant it to be a joyful, light Statement, but the relief was too great for her to keep it totally together.

I'm really getting out of that house.With Mavis Kyle marveled in disbelief as Mavis gestured broadly. Without any warning Kyle hugged Mavis tightly, turning to wrap her arms around the taller girl's waist and gripping the back of her blouse. She burried her face into Mavis's shoulder, muffing her voice a bit.

" God, I hope he let's me go," she said, shaking just slightly in anxiety and anticipation. So what if she would have to hear the honeymooners going at it? She would have her best friend Close by AND not have to constantly look over her shoulder. "Thank you best friend."

Back
Top Bottom