Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Unlikely Duo (Murcielaga x ItsTheWriter)

Murcielaga

Moon
The bells and drums signalling the ships rang out over the small port city of Pevenar, rolling and sonorous over the harbor. Heavy waxed nets slapped the frothing steel of Crescent Bay, the cries of the fishermen almost lost in the snapping of the wind and the groaning timbers of the boats. Fat gulls and herons soared and skimmed over the glimmering water, rising into the powder blue sky with beaks full of small, oily fish. Low in the distance, she could hear the drone of a singing horn and its triumphant melody. It was the music of civilization, and after a long stint in the wilds between cities in the light and unforgiving shadows of a Broken Moon, Kalahai welcomed it.

Not that there was much time to appreciate it, she thought as she tried to urge her mule quicker through the surf-packed wet sand of the wide white beach. The animal squealed and huffed in protest as she dug her hooves into its side and tapped its haunch with the spade of her tail. She had an appointment to keep and the barricade along the Avenue of Traders had delayed her enough that she would be lucky to meet this local lawkeeper on time instead of early as she had hoped. After enough coaxing and clicking she was finally able to get her beast to go from a staccato walk into a grudging trot, her camping supplies rattling on its back as they hurried along the surf in the direction of the Needle’s Eye.

Like most of Pevenar’s buildings, it was a squat two-story affair made of sand scrubbed white stone that gleamed in sun. The brilliant mosaic tiling along the arched doors and windows depicted fish, whales and seabirds in swirling patterns of red, blue and green, bright as blood against the pale surface. What distinguished is at a municipal building however was the high decorated arch of carved stone that dominated its low perimeter fence. The banners showing city colors in streaming ribbons snapped in the breeze, just above the heads of the two armed and armored guards that stood watch at each foot of the arch. One had been leaning on her spear, the other against the arch until they noticed her. Both appeared to be human, sweat soaked and dirty from the sandy breeze.

She had that much in common with them, but that is where the similarities ended. She was a demon after all, and one either blessed or cursed with a bold phenotype depending on the person observing. Her skin was the color of dusty orchid and striped with bloody maroon, stretched taut over a tall, well-muscled frame. Her hair was a mane of peacock blue that turned teal at the ends, wrestled back into a large messy braid that fell to the small of her back. Heavy, expressive eyebrows, bright cyan eyes and bold dark lips punctuated a rebellious face, made more so by the pair of primary horns that soared up from her skull and the secondary horns marking her brow. Her figure was more athletic than opulent, shielded by a battered steel breastplate, a dusty mail shirt and scarred bracers. Around her narrow waist wrapped leather armor bound by a heavy belt with a triangular buckle set with an odd, burnt-blue topaz. From the belt flared a heavy leather skirt, studded with metal scutes at the hips that dropped down to her calves. Her hooves were of the splitfoot variety, and were in bad need of a good polish. In one gloved hand she carried a long, straight staff made of some sort of copper or bronze with a jagged tip--a weapon almost as dramatic as the wings folded tightly against her back.

She rode her mule as close as she dared and dismounted with her staff in hand. The guards clattered to attention.

“Halt, demon. Your errand please?” The male of the two said, holding out his hand.

“I thought they trained your people to say ‘traveller’ when asking strangers for their business,” Kahalai said as she fished around for her writ in her pouch, “Much more neutral these days.”

There was a brief acknowledgement of the rudeness of her response that passed between them before she withdrew a small, tightly rolled scroll from her side pouch and handed it to the guard, “The Second Rictor is expecting me.”

The guard took it, and examined it with a careful frown before returning it to her and nodding to his companion. Both of them stepped aside.

“You can tie up your beast at the post out the front. Wait in the lobby. The Second Rictor will collect you when he is ready.”

Kalahai smiled, enjoying how the reveal of her sharp teeth seemed to make the male guard visibly uncomfortable.

The stone interior of the Needle's Eye was welcome and cool against Kalahai’s hot skin. She brushed a strand of hair from the side of her face and glanced around the pristine lobby--marked by a pair of flowering plants growing in the corners near the front desk for somewhere to sit and was annoyed to find that all the benches and chairs had been designed with human asses in mind except but for a single, too-tall stool leaning against one of the windows.

The human woman behind the counter suggested she sit to wait. Kalahai ignored her, electing to stand and inspecting the stained glass windows that cast brilliant points of light on the stone floors. It reminded her a little bit of some of the temple edifices that she’d often been called to sweep with the Mercenary guilds, although in those savage places in the Ossuary the stained glass was usually broken.

There were heavy footsteps--boots, she recognized, as the door leading to the chambers beyond opened. An older man stood there. He was wearing shiny ceremonial armor, a curved sword and a blue cape draped regally over his narrow shoulders, but none of it did much to hide the fact that he was pale from lack of work in the sun by human standards, or his dramatically receding hairline.

He stared at her in token of surprise before turning to his secretary, “The other one hasn't arrived yet?” he said, his voice sharp. Kalahai was floored. How dare he not even acknowledge her?

“No,” the secretary said, shuffling a sheaf of paper, “But there was a barricade in the Avenue of Traders. It’s possible if she is riding that she had to go around the mess.”

“I could have told you as much,” Kalahai interjected, “But, I’m sorry, you were expecting someone else?”

“Yes and no,” the man said, finally turning to look at her. She was immediately irritated by his scrutiny and stood up straighter, her tail stiff, “You are Kalahai?”

She stepped forward and handed him the scroll.

“I cast a shadow in your presence,” she said grudgingly by the way of formal greeting.

“I am the Second Rictor, Tiberus Hala,” he introduced himself, “And you were indeed summoned here with intent to help us with our little problem, but you won’t be working this job alone.”

Kalahai gaped at him and managed to wrestle her expression into a manageable frown.

“I would have liked to know that before I accepted the task,” she said, an edge of irritation to her voice, “I usually do my best work alone.”

It was a baldfaced lie but neither human seemed interested in calling her on it--at least not directly. She could feel her face flushing as the Second Rictor simply gave her a long look. How much did this township lawkeeper know about her past sordid details, she wondered. She had shed her former title and ranks already. Surely not enough to be too embarrassing. But another person.

“Who is this other person?” she persisted, curious despite herself, “Demon, human? Angel?”

“As far as I can tell, it’s a little more complicated than any of those options,” the Second Rictor said, turning. “Come. We’ll wait in my office until our other agent arrives. Ishean, bring her in when she arrives. Can I offer you some water?”

Entirely wrong footed, Kalahai followed, her tail curling. This was about to get interesting.

Clop Clop Clop Clop.

A vicious battle brought forth by the reigning demon lord of the area occurred. Angels from above slammed through the tinted glass of the cathedral, battling it out between the pews. Dead priests littered the floor, forming a rug of blood that grew thicker with each minute that passed. In the end, it was only the angel and her demon adversary left. The others were too damaged to continue fighting, leaving the fate of the fight in the hands of their leaders. With a charge, the angel let out a scream throwing her all into her next strike. The demon cleaved at her valiantly, but in the end, neither the demon or the angel landed the killing blow.

"What happened next Daddy?" A small girl spoke in her seat. With a warming smile, the father stroked her daughter's head. "Ask your mother. I mean, she was that special angel after all." She looked over and reached for her sleeping mother. "Mommy, wake up!" A bit selfish with her movements, the daughter shook her mother with whatever strength she did have. Her mother did not budge, tired from her previous campaign. Her armor was still slick with sweat and the blood of her enemies. "Hey Lucy." The father spoke, "I think your mother is still tired. Let her re-" Her beautiful red eyes opened, being accompanied by a quiet yawn. "Mommy! Tell me what happened next!" She smiled and looked at her wedding ring. "Well, lets just say that the demon lords and the Gods above desired peace right then and there. And not too long after, your daddy came out of hiding." The father looked embarrassed. "He was inside the closet when all of the fighting was going on." He interrupted. "But! Lucy. When I opened the door, I saw the most beautiful girl in the world. So beautiful that even the Gods would envy me." She sighed. "Using that old line again are you? Lets just say, your daddy healed the both of us before it was too late." She looked at her daughters left hand worriedly. "Forgive me Lucina." A sad smile drew over her face. The cursed blade driven into her body during that battle, corrupting her from the inside. Only she understood what it meant to be stabbed in the womb. "The Gods will take me back one day. And you'll grow up. Just know, I'll always have my eyes on you." The two parents wrapped their arms around each other with Lucina in the midst

Clop Clop Clop Clop.

Despite the priests' best efforts. Angela, Lucina's mother, passed away soon after. Lucina stood at her mother's grave, clutching her father's hand. In the other was her sword, a gift given by her mother while she was on her death bed. Cries broke through her soft face. Her other hand was bandaged. Dark emotions swirled around the outside. Her father understood, earning all the money he can to provide for her holy water. In the end, he got old as well. With the last of his savings, he bought a shield from the smith, large enough to protect most of her body. He didn't want Lucina to suffer the same fate as her mother. Lucina understood, holding the shield close to her body. With nothing holding her down, she began to move. She always had a desire to explore the world, and with a shield in one hand, a sword in another, and nothing holding her back, she decided to see what the world had to offer for the budding adventurer.

Clop Clop Clop Clop.

Her teary eyes opened. Lucina awoken from her flashback as she looked onward down the road. The city was ahead of her, spread across the vast coast that once housed a small fishing village. "Damn." She sighed. Although Lucina inherited her mother's looks, she did not keep her subtlety. Her mule struggled to carry the weight of her, her gear, and her camping supplies. Although it was strong enough to carry it all, it made the rides far from smooth. Looking at her arm, she unwrapped the bandages. The corruption spread from her forearm to her shoulder. It was a dreadful reminder of her past. A faint memory that still pained her to this day. Reaching behind her, she reached for her rug sack hanging off the mule. In it was just a couple of flasks filled to the brim with holy water. "I hope that they're paying as much as they've promised."

The great star above started reaching the horizon as she stopped nearby the gate. The skies were painted a glistening orange.

She was late.

"Halt." The guard stopped her. "State your business traveler." With her dark arm kept under wraps and her wings left hidden, she looked for the most part human. "I've been contracted for some work. Nothing more." Without the armor, she looked like a lowly peddler. Her clothes were far from nobility matching that of her father's. A leather cloak covered much of her body, only placing her arms, legs, and face in view. The guard raised an eyebrow, walking over to look at her cargo for anything suspicious. "Holy water. Sword. Shield." The guard peered inside, looking around. "Armor, salted meat." He paused and looked back up at her. "Are you a paladin, madam?" His demeanor changed. Paladins were considered to a prestigious position to humans and angels alike. "Up and coming adventurer." She added.

Albeit lost, she traveled around, spending more time following the directions of nearby residents and travelers for a building known as the Needle's Eye. Eventually, she found her way after realizing that she passed the location several times without noticing. The sky turned from dusk to dark.

She was very, very late.

A mixture of relief and tension rattled through her spine. She needed the money soon. Her arm was darkening past her bandages, giving her the indication that it was time to drink the holy water once more. Without hesitation, she popped the cap guzzling the water of the Gods down her impure body. Although the corruption began to return back to its initial hold, there was a black smoke that escaped the confines of the bandages. The evil that inhabited her arm left only for a moment. The pain of it was excruciating, although experiencing enough of it since she was born developed her pain resistance to one akin to a regular warrior. A breath of relief broke through her mouth as she sat back against a small bench. Her eyes spotting an empty room, she approached and adorned her armor Stained steel mail was the first layer that covered her, before being followed with some cheap plate. She may not have been the poorest, but with the money she spent on holy water, she knew that some items were far out of reach. Her shield protected her only from the front, training her in some defensive strategies such as keeping her back against a wall and always facing her opponents. Her sword was enough to strike fear in lesser demons as it was one that once taken down even a demon lord. Finally ready, she came out and announced her presence. "Hello?" She looked around. "I'm here to provide my sword as services for the contract!"

Kalahai had been utterly unable to wait the entire day at the Needle’s Eye. She needed the job and the money too much to simply stomp off into the sunset, but after three hours of wearing a groove into the stone floor and absolutely nothing from whatever second rate jester was to be her partner in this endeavor she excused herself from the Needle’s Eye to get something to eat from a local peddler at one of the nearby beach markets before she went mad. The Second Rector had probably been relieved to see her go, if only for a short time.

She sat on the beach watching the surf creep closer as the day wore on. The people of this small city seemed to be recovering well enough. She saw a couple of older humans with healed over wounds and missing limbs but she couldn’t help but notice the new generation playing amongst the waves, herding livestock around and delivering messages. Pevenar had surely changed with the passage of time. Everything seemed like it had moved and grown better.

She bit savagely into her food trying to focus on how good it was. The lamb in between the soft flatbread had been marinated and roasted with grape leaves, drizzled with a white sauce that had just the right amount of tang to bring her out of her bitter slump--and it was just as well, for she noticed movement a few hundred yards away moving in the direction of the Needle’s Eye. Shit! She crammed the rest of her food into her face and stumbled to her feet.

Another mule, bearing a second winged rider was making her way up the switchback.

Refusing to look like she was the late one, she started running, still chewing, and launched herself into the now dark sky. Her stomach churned in protest as she lifted off--flying on a full stomach was always risky, but she quickly caught the push from the sea breeze and lifted off, up and over the arch and towards the doorway. She tucked her wings and dropped sharply down near the hitching post, startling her mule before she scurried inside--just as the other woman called out and entered the space.

She observed the stranger. She was torn on the teeth of observing the woman’s beauty and clinging to aggravation. She had lovely skin that seemed to carry with in the glow of angelic kind but her face had an earthy quality to it that gave her a presence and character that most fluttery class of being lacked. Her eyes were cut garnets in that oddly beautiful face, and her hair was a amber-brown, catching the last of the dying light. She had an impressive wingspan and well beaten armor--of a similar class to her own.

It immediately made Kalahai suspect as to why the both of them had been brought here.

And there was the leading, confusing question as to the woman’s heritage.

She was beautiful, and for a moment she wasn’t sure how to start. Acerbic, irritated? Puff out her wings? Polite? She had to work with this person after all. Her mouth and brain a jumble, she blurted,

“Finally! You--I cast a shadow in your presence! Or I would, if the sun wasn’t already gone!” she stood to her full height and folded her wings, “Name’s Kalahai. The Second Rictor is waiting. I think the receptionist left a while ago but let’s at least get this part out of the way.”

She moved inside and stomped over to the Rictor’s office, and took the first chair and turned it around, sitting on it backwards to accommodate her tail and wings. The Second Rictor, betraying no evidence of frustration or weariness smiled as the strange angelic woman walked in, and gestured to the second stool.

“Have a seat.”

She was a mystery to many. Her body spoke of an angelic beauty, crafted by the Gods not only to be a skilled fighter on the front lines, but as a piece of art akin to a modern day statuette. Her voice and her gear seemed human, capable and willing to do whatever so she wished. This was like all other humans, having destinies in which they can alter and change for themselves. To not have a higher power dictate what actions they were going to commit to. However, a darker essence grew from her bandaged arm. Even underneath her armor, it gave off a rather nefarious aura, emitting an evil presence that could haunt a child's dreams. She was similar to a breed of all three. Although one could argue that she could have the traits of the three main races, another could argue that she was the abomination or, black sheep of all three. The Gods, the Kings, and the Demon Lords all being connected with her somehow.

The sudden flash of darkness appearing before her took her aback. She took one step back, grabbing her shield and hoisting it in between her and the demon. Her other hand was fumbling for the sword at her waist. Despite her previous battles, she never fought a truly dangerous enemy. Nor has she ever fought against an enemy one on one. Sure there were jobs to rid a village of imps or to scare off bears but not one where the enemy was just as capable as she. "Back demon!" Her jittery hands found the hilt of her sword, unsheathing the Defender's Blade. As the blade was readied, the shield that covered her glimmered on its outline, shining as if it were enchanted. Just the warmth from her blade brought courage into her heart, steeling her will and preparing her for battle. "You shall poison this place no lon-"

The sudden introduction interrupted her voice, pausing her thoughts. "The contract did speak about ridding a place of imps." Her eyes strolled up and down the figure of the demon. "Your far taller than the average imp. You also look prettier. Say..." She paused. "Am I at the right place? I'm new around these parts and I'm looking for a place known as the Needle's Eye. I was hoping this would be it. My name is Lucina Aravella, daughter of the late Holy Swordmaiden, Angela." Lucina bowed politely towards the lengthy woman. Her wings were drawn back behind her cape, giving a sign that she wasn't looking for a fight.

Regardless of her thoughts, she gave Kalahai a strange look. It wasn't everyday where a demon would want to work in such a lower job. With the way that Kalahai looked, she'd probably be the leader of a guard or somewhere close. Not the imp-cleaner like many other traders tend to call low ranking adventurers. "Odd. What are you Kalahai?" A sense of irony spread in her nearby sphere. Here was a mixed breed with demonic elements asking a demon what she was. "You give off the look that you're not just a rookie adventurer." She shrugged, taking another sip of her half empty glass. "Forgive me if I'm wrong. But am I at the right place? I didn't choose to sign with a demon warrior as yourself. I hope you don't take any offense." Lucina, looked up at her, following her into the next room before being greeted by the Second Richtor.

"Uh. Sure thing." Lucina wasn't trained in the arts of language. Her mother did not live long enough to teach her the ways of the voice. Her father lacked any experience, considering his low status in society. Nor was she trained in the arts of nobles: How to act, how to Greet, even down to the mere basics like having your weapons sheathed when speaking with authority out of battle or not wearing your war gear (armor and shield) when in a meeting.

Hilting her shield and sheathing her sword, she sat down against the cushions. Each movement was accompanied by a metal noise. Her armor constantly shifted with her arms. Each little link in her chain rattled independently of one another.

She wasn't like a bull but rather a stampeding elephant in a china shop.

Kalahai regarded this Lucina with a critical eye, making a show of looking unimpressed. At least, as much as she could given how she had already comported herself. She cleared her throat, looking over her shoulder at the strange woman. She felt a tickle at the edge of her consciousness, some pressing darkness that wasn’t any part of her own power. Her eyes flicked to Lucina’s and she found herself raising a brow in a silent question before speaking,

“Well, call it kismet, fate or just plain bad luck. I didn’t sign up for working with a clunking paladin myself and yet, here we are.” She addressed this comment to the Second Rictor, whom she had decided, over the course of the day she had been trapped here, was an asshole. A non-asshole would have been more transparent about the job, and the strictures of the affair.

The Second Rictor made a point to disregard the comment and steepled both of his hands.

“Ladies. It is good that you’re both here. Now, I am the Second Rictor, Tiberius Halla. I believe the two of you have already introduced yourselves to each other.” He let a pause linger before continuing, “You two have been hired to deal with an infernal infestation. There is a plague of imps in this city, and what with Give Glory, our local springtime festival starting tomorrow we not only have our own people to protect, but all those who are travelling to Pevenar to perform, sell or partake of the festivities.

“Our guard and guilds are stretched thin to accommodate all these people. In addition, we’d like to make sure that this is taken care of quietly. To ensure that the job is done, we sought out power from two sources, both angelic and demonic in the hopes that the margin for error shrinks with two fighters on the job. You Lucina specialize in the sword and strength of your arm, Kalahai here in subterfuge and magic. I’m sure that once you get over your differences you’ll make an excellent team. Please remember,” he added, “That coin will be rendered in full upon complete eradication of the problem, and no sooner. The extent of the issue is uncertain, but it is largely why we’re ready to pay you a hundred gold coins each in addition to simple accommodations during your stay, at one of our local inns.

“Do either of you have any questions?”

Clunking Paladin

Knowing what its like being the lesser of her mother, she sighed. For most of her life from those who knew her family, she understood too well what it was like being compared to someone better than her. To be insulted and to have the qualities taken away from you just because there was someone better. Clunking Paladin was the least of whatever insults that were thrown at her. Even still, it did anger enough to react. Clenching her fist, she gave an aggressive glare to Kalahai. "Oh bite me. I didn't sign up to work with a demon who clearly had the personality of an imp either but look where we are." Her mouth gave a human quality that the demons and angels found distinct.

One hundred gold coins!

Lucina let out a gulp before looking down at her coin purse. The aggression dissipated once the sound of money was involved. Opening the coin purse reminded her why she took the job in the first place. Inside the coin purse were just bronze coins, spare change after the money spent on food, armor, and holy water. Holy water was sold at ten gold each flash in temples. Thirty if it is sold by a secondhand trader. With that money, she'd be set on enough holy water to survive the next month or so. Opening her mouth, she found it to be difficult to speak. Beside her was a demon that she was forced to work with. In front of her was a contractor that failed to speak about much other than the job on paper. Just as quick as she opened her mouth, she clenched it shut. The wrong words here could spell disaster for her. As her father told her, the mouth was like a sword. If used properly, it will help you get what you want. If used improperly, it can hurt you.

"No. Consider it done Sir Tiberious." Without another moments notice, she stood up from her chair eager to finish this job. With her sword at her hip and her shield on her back, she found herself more than capable on taking on a few imps. She looked over her shoulder, throwing a shorthanded insult at Kalahai. Being called a clunking paladin regardless of truth stirred Lucina the wrong way. Perhaps their personalities clashed with each other. "I hope you can keep up with this clunking paladin, demon!" She raced outside, forward into the streets. The first thing Lucina needed was information. Where were the imps spotted? What were they doing? Where did they go? Any sort of information that could give hints to a possible den, cave, or basement where they took shelter in.

A tavern was located near the Needle's Eye, most likely a place welcome to travelers as many do travel through and from this city. Pevenar was a city situated on the coast, blessed with a stunning beach and clear waters. Not just fisherman flourished in this environment but so did merchants as well. Beautiful trade ships from all over the continent made stops at this very city with goods from foreign lands. Culture here was diversified, with little regard of who or where it came from. However, some anti-demon sentiment was still held in the hearts of many of the people. Lucina was not exempt from this. Her mother died from a demon. Despite her knowing that the war was long over, her heart still clutched on the memory of what did her mother in. The wound from long ago that haunted Lucina in her dreams. The demonic weapon that still cursed Lucina to this day.

"Welcome young one! Have a drink! Maybe Two! The tavern always has a place for you!" The bartender was ecstatic to see new faces in his bar. Several guardsmen along with travelers spent their time here for the drinks or the barmaidens that served alcohol. It was very lively with constant conversation overwhelming the room. Rumors were thrown about nearly every relevant topic. From the politics of the kingdoms, to the prices for goods, the tavern was a melting pot of information and people in cities like Pevenar. "Hello there. I was wondering if I could ask about the imp problem around these parts." She looked at the bartender. "Can you help me?"

"Sorry miss, I'm not willing to give out information for free." He pulled out a bottle of wine with a smile. "But, if you're willing to buy a nice cup of wine. I wouldn't mind spilling out a bit of useful information." Lucina paused. She didn't have any money to afford the bartender's offer. The wine that he offered looked as though it was catered to only those with the richest of taste. "I... I don't have enough."

The bartender frowned. "Sorry then. Can't help you. Even if you are a pretty face."

Kalahai uttered a startled snarl as this Lucina woman charged out of the Needle’s Eye. Gods above and Lords below she was an auroch in armor! She bared her teeth in annoyance at Hala before taking off after her clanking companion, and caught up to her upon approach at the Glass Eel, one of the local taverns. It was cool and lively inside, and the both of the were hailed in raucous greeting by the barkeep--some human Kalahai didn’t know.

Ignoring the looks she was getting from other patrons--mostly human, some angelic, she strode up to the counter and rested her elbow heavily on it, cocking a hip to one side and letting her tail curl at a jaunty, almost arrogant angle. Let them all stare, she thought, giving anyone who caught her eye an evil stare. What did they know? Nothing! They had no right not wit to judge anything she was or anything she’d done.

At the barkeep’s reticence to speak though, she frowned. Lucina was right, they needed information and neither of them had the coin for anything fancier than watered down ale. However, she did have some tricks up her sleeve.

“Well that is a terrible, terrible shame,” she said theatrically, fishing around in her coin purse. With her other hand she wiggled her fingers under the table in a minor arcane sign, “Truly sir, I would imagine that your civic duty as a fine citizen of the very lovely city of Pevenar would lead you to goodwill when it comes to helping out a couple of ratcatchers, but seeing as though it doesn’t…”

She represented with a flourish a large, golden coin, heavy and glittering in the light from the torches and braizers in here. It was in fact, a trick coin, a slice of iron the right weight for a gold coin, but iron all the same. She had hidden it with a glamour that would last one minute.

“I can offer you this gold talon, worth ten gold, which should pay for at least two cups of that fine wine. So what can you tell us for one talon?”

She flicked it over to the bartender. Pocket it, pocket it, pocket it, she thought fervently as the seconds ticked by.

The bartender did not hesitate, treating the token like it was a God's gift itself. Bouncing back from his rejecting demeanor, he once again began to treat the two as family. Especially with the demon, his new found patron. "Right away." Optimistic of this new relationship, he poured a couple glasses for the girls, filling up the pottery to their brims. The detailing on the sides showed an old Peveranian tale where two brave heroes enduring near impossible trials together. They were both beautiful and strong, a match for each other who can do anything as long as they put their differences aside. At the end of the story, they slayed a giant water beast that threatened the port village of Peveran.

Lucina looked at the velvet liquid before looking back at Kalahai and the cheery bartender. A hint of hesitation appeared in her eyes as she took a smell of it. The strength was enough to turn her face sour, cringing at the concentration of alcohol. The bartender grinned and placed his large hands on the base of the girls' backs. "Only the strongest for the two heroines yes? I didn't want to give you both cheap wine for your first drinks here after all." It was common courtesy in a tavern to finish what you were given. Otherwise it was an insult to the bartender serving the drinks. "Here Kalahai, you should take it. I'm not thirsty anyways." Lucina tried to play it off. Gazing at her horned coworker. Her eyes were pleading mercy in the demoness to take this burden away from her.

"Sorry little miss, but you have to drink it if you buy it." The bartender pointed over at a sign that read You pay for what you do not finish. "What kind of rule is that?!" The bartender looked at Kalahai with a smug smirk. "You know, if she doesn't finish it. You'll owe me at least five gold coins." Feeling a sense of debt, Lucina gripped her shield and sword for courage. "Fine! I'll do it!" Her arms stood firm, her fingers gripped the cup and brought the strong smelling liquid to her lips. She was not going to owe a demon anything more. With clenched eyes and her bravery peaking, she drunk the wine in a few short gulps before slamming the cup back onto the table. The nearby viewers cheered, following her with drinking of their own cups. "There! Now give us the information!"

"Alright, alright. A promise is a promise and a trader never backs down from his honor. Just hand me your maps." Lucina reached into her bag behind her, handing a crude map of the region around Pevenar. It was no wonder why she took so long. The map that she held was long out dated, dating back to the times when Pevenar was nothing but just a small fishing village. The bartender raised an eyebrow in confusion before looking over to Kalahai. "After you finish your drink, hand me your map will ya? Your friend here has an artifact from the past." He looked down at the old map. "Its outdated girl. You need a new one." Still hyped up from earlier, Lucina responded energetically. "How would I know it was outdated? I'm not a mapmaker." The bartender facepalmed before looking at the corner of the map. "Well, thats why. The place where you could see the year it was made is missing!" Lucina realizing her mistake, grew quiet. "Oh... Sorry about that." Embarassment grew on her face as the nearby patrons laughed. "Ha, look at her. She's probably drunk already!"

Back
Top Bottom