Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How did you learn of Roleplay?

DBZGirl29

Planetoid
I'm just curious as to how everyone here first learned of the magical world of Roleplay. I know I learned of it years ago by an ex friend who introduced me to Avid Gamers. It was an old forum for anything. I was introduced to a Dragonball Roleplay group and well here I am. Though I've gotten much better since then that's for sure.

I learned about rping on The Sims website. People could post stories with pictures from their game they had going on at home. I saw a thread about rping your sim, and the rest is history.

Hey y'all!
First time was with a friend at a sleepover, I still have a copy of the horrid thing on paper... after that it was over neopets forums then to a site that has since been shut down. two other semi failed sites and Im here.....
((new to the whole redlight district of rping and tend to stay out of it))

The roleplay board on neopets, when I was about 11. Moved to to wolf rp forums around 12-13, to modern-realistic rp forums and email, then had my first dabblings in smut here when I was 19. Been quite the adventure that started over a decade ago now!

Geocities was my first experience with roleplay when I was like 11-12. It was Inuyasha. I even wrote back and forth on paper with a friend from school, I think that one was Dragon Ball Z. :ROFLMAO: And then a little dabble in Neopets, really strict bastards lol, then I spent most of my teens on Gaia, and then as an adult google usually was a good source of finding new places and partners. Exactly how I wound up here, actually.

I first heard of roleplaying many, many years ago from my brother, who had started roleplaying on some site I don't even remember. At the time I wasn't that interested in writing so I didn't give it much thought except when my brother wanted me to read an exceptional post. After I started getting more into writing though, roleplaying came back to the forefront in my mind. Thus, I went on a search for a roleplaying site, found one, flayed around for a little bit, left the sit, and continued the search on and off for a few years; leading me to here.

Supervised a student exchange program briefly when I was going to school in England, made soo many penpals. Penpals were those friends you'd email, preferably keep up with via hand-written letters. One of them was into roleplaying and introduced me to the magical world of fandoms, before slowly delving in OC and the delightful freeform.

It wasn't until I started ghostwriting/publishing for an agency though, did I actually realize how much roleplaying helps with characterization and plotting, and given how much I enjoy character-driven stories, good roleplays are such a boon.

I started in a really obscure game called WolfQuest since I was a fan of anything animal related as a middle schooler. People roleplayed on the online part of it, so I learned to pick it up pretty quickly and I started roleplaying as a wolf lol. Then when I got into Warriors (a kids book series), I started cat clans with people on Flipnote when that was a thing on the DSi. I don't really remember when I started to finally branch into roleplaying as people though; my memory is kinda muddled after that. I think I moved to RPNation when I realized that writing more complex and complete thoughts were way better than script-style and one-liners, and now I'm here~

Tbh from all those animal influences, its no wonder I like werewolves and animal-human hybrids in my roleplays.

I started in a really obscure game called WolfQuest since I was a fan of anything animal related as a middle schooler. People roleplayed on the online part of it, so I learned to pick it up pretty quickly and I started roleplaying as a wolf lol. Then when I got into Warriors (a kids book series), I started cat clans with people on Flipnote when that was a thing on the DSi. I don't really remember when I started to finally branch into roleplaying as people though; my memory is kinda muddled after that. I think I moved to RPNation when I realized that writing more complex and complete thoughts were way better than script-style and one-liners, and now I'm here~

Tbh from all those animal influences, its no wonder I like werewolves and animal-human hybrids in my roleplays.
I know of wolf quest!

Maybe the first time I tried to write a story on my first computer about fifteen or sixteen years ago. I had to create characters and pretend to be them when I was struggling to write action or dialogue.

Like many of mentioned, Neopets. I wrote almost exclusively wolf or teen roleplays, then moved to Harry Potter and whatnot. I've certainly expanded quite a bit and now hardly roleplay that which I started with. I also used to watch my brother roleplay medieval fantasy stories! It was so fascinating.

Figures I'd be the oddball here. :p

I learned on a primarily Yu-gi-oh! based site. Other RPs, however, could be posted - both fandom and originals. It was on this same site I met my husband and actually improved myself as a writer and role player overall. I would link the site, but it's been gone for years now, sadly.

Shame. I had some fun times there.

I went to other places. Gaia, for instance. But anyway, that was my first for where I learned the art of role playing.

A bunch of my friends back in my first year of highschool taught me about Gaia online.

hoo boy, the asterisks were many before I learned how to properly write.

im still learning. the biggest problem for me is the english barrier here. im from the netherlands but i will do the best i can.

Well the long story starts with 'Fighting Fantasy' gamebooks back in the early 90's.

Then to 'proper' RPG's (although the first I ever bought was fuckin' RIFTS)

Then, after hanging around online too long, in furry forums, at the turn of the millennium, online eRP became a known thing.

Now I'm here.

And I'm old.

I learned to roleplay the only way that was available at the time: tabletop, AD&D (1st edition), with a group of friends at school.

About 1986, if memory serves.

It ballooned from there.

I've been RPing longer than some of you have been alive. ;)

i'm not exactly sure what about it was so intriguing to me, but there was a forum on an online game i was playing. curiously, i read through the threads and randomly joined an rp. from there i did fandom only roleplays, to straight only, to mxm soley and now, dark roleplays. ;)

Back
Top Bottom