Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Blind Luck [Rekoj/Toxic]

Rekoj

Star
Pain, of the throbbing variety, emanating from his skull. This is what the young man awoke to, his face down into the bitter tasting dirt. He slowly raised his head, and felt the soft blades of grass move with his head. However, it took too much effort to raise his head, at least for now. All he managed to do was get a hand underneath his his forehead. Spitting out the bitter taste of dirt, Alexei Lebedev cursed under his breath. Pressing his palms into the soft ground, the crumpled figure of a man started to try and raise himself.

There was a single cut on his forehead, which had dried and sealed over time. He had a swollen black eye and many countless bruises hidden by this thick chestnut hair, as his cynicism had gotten him into trouble with some teenaged punks. They had asked for his wallet, and he had a few choice words about their mothers. They didn't appreciate it very much, and apparently didn't care at all about the fact that Alexei could not see at all. Something which was obvious when he had been mugged, he had his cane and glasses on at the time. However, now, he had nothing except bruises and scrapes. Raising himself to a standing position, he came to this realization.

He had no idea where he was, and that thought frightened him. He was not an easy man to frighten, but he was left helpless right now. He took a shaky step in a direction he could've only guessed as forwards. He followed that shaky step up with one more, this time, his foot hit something that wasn't soft grass, and his foot slipped forwards. And all of his momentum swung backwards, his entire body flipping up in the air and landing hard on his back. He heard something bouncing away as he realized he had stepped on a football. He was left in the middle of some sort of sports field, how he got there he had no clue. He had blacked out after about the third kick to his head. Lying flat out, on his back, with no clue where he was and none of his usual tools to help get him anywhere... he let out a single groan and one more loud curse.

Re: Blind Luck

Jaiden had spent another day running around for her boss as well as keeping with her usual everyday office duties. She felt lucky enough though taht she had any kind of lunch break. After work she managed to go home and change her clothes, she wanted to go for a jog to get rid of any stresses left over from the day.

She slid out of the work clothes and into short shorts that accentuated her legs that would be comfortable for a long jog. She then slid into a a fitting tee shirt that hugged her breasts against that of her body. Grabbing her ipod, she stretched in her front yard and immediately took off jogging at a nice pace. She liked it better like this when it was getting dark. Less people around and less traffic. Most were at home eatting dinner and she was smart enough to use that time to take a jog.

After abut fifteen minutes she was passing by the school when she saw movement on the football field. Someone just fell back hard and didn't really move. She knew there was no practice today thats why this was one of the few days she took this root. She decided to go make sre they were alright. "Probably an intoxicated student." She groaned. As she neared though she saw dried blood and the black and blue eye of a gentleman that was not a student. She sped up and ran towards him, "Hey.....are you okay?" she called out, pulling he earbuds from her ears and letting them fall upon her neckshe crouched down beside him. "what happened to you? Do you need help? An ambulance maybe?" She took his face in her hands gently, examining the bruising and dried blood.

Alexei nearly lept back when he felt the hands upon his face, he scurried away from the figure. It took his head a few seconds to catch up with what she had said, he had been too busy thinking about how many different ways he hated the group who had mugged him. Once he processed what she said, he quickly began to vehemently deny the need for assistance, "No-no! I'm fine, I don't need an ambulance. I'm fine, thank you very much..."

Alexei hated to be coddled, he found many of the workers at the orphanage where he had been raised pitied him, and gave him extra sympathy. He hated that, he was intelligent, and just as capable as everyone. He didn't understand that whoever had just come to help him out, had no idea he was blind and was offering him help because he looked like he'd just been in a car wreck.

He had backed up away from the helping hand of whoever was in front of him, and his head was tilted up towards hers, but he never opened his eyes. His false glass eyes tended to disturb people, he learned that in the orphanage. He kept them closed because it was simply habit. His one eye was swollen and puffy, but the other one had no bruises or cuts around it. But it remained completely shut, as his hands remained holding his form up away from the grass.

Jaiden withdrew her hands when he suddenly moved away from her. She saw how swollen his eye was and wasnt sure if there was damage to the other eye as he titled his head up towards her. He kept it closed. "I can't in my heart leave you here like this. Your beat up badly. Please allow me to help you."

She moved up to him again her hand moving up and brushing the hair away from the cut with the dried blood. "At least let me help you home and clean you up. Do you have a car? Before you answer that actually.....are you able to open your other eye or did that one get injured too?"

Her hand moved down the side of his face gently, her finger running over his unswollen eye ever so softly. "Listen. I can see your a bit jumpy. I am sorry. My name is Jaiden. I am not going to leave you here so you may as well tell me how I can help you." She considered from the looks of him that he was probably attacked by the group of teens going around and mugging people. Those kids disgusted her.

Alexei flinched when he felt her finger over his eye, and he opened it. He revealed a glassy eye which never seemed to be able to make eye contact. It wandered aimlessly, and he quickly closed it. He admitted with a sigh, "The other eye's the same... I can't see. I don't know where I am right now. These group of thugs just wanted my wallet... and I wasn't going to give it up easy. They probably would've just stopped after beating me up, but I had a few choice words about their mothers..." he actually muttered it with a bit of a smirk.

The smirk quickly disappeared as he held his head with a wince, and he began to reply to her other questions, "So, obviously, no I don't have a car. And... I live on Cherry Ave. I know to get home from Cherry and 1st... that's all the help I need. Just get me there and I'll be fine, thank you so much Jaiden. And my name is Alexei, Alexei Lebedev. If there is anything I can do to pay you back for this... please let me know." With that, he slowly tried to stand, it was obvious he was hurting all over. They'd kicked his chest and his ribs when he'd been down, they had been ruthless and classless.

Her eyes widened in surprise. She wasn't expecting to find out he was blind. He smirked though as did she hearing that he had quite a spirit within him despite the fact he couldn't see. "Your blind then. Okay. I can't believe them. Those kids go around terrorizing people all the time. This is a new low though. I am sorry for your trouble in this neightborhood."

It saddened her as the neighborhood was never like this before. As of late though the neighborhood seemed to be going downhill, she knew a couple of the parents in the neighborhood with younger kids talked of a neighborhood watch but until now she would of never thought of it seriously.

She saw him wince and wanted to help in any way without getting in his way. "I'll take you all the way back to your house on Cherry Ave Alexei, and its a pleasure to meet you. Just wish it was under better circumstances." She helped him to his feet. "The only way you can help me is to at least allow me to take you to your house and let me clean up the cut on your head. I won't get any sleep tonight if I just take you to Cherry and 1st."

Alexei shook his head, and said, "I'm almost glad they didn't treat me specially... after all, I'm blind, not handicapped," he winced as he began to step, trying to shake off the pain. He felt her help him up and he surprised himself when both of his hands grabbed her arm. His fingers felt her soft skin, but just held on for now, without his cane he was helpless to know what was around him. He needed her assistance, but didn't know how to ask for it. And he didn't want to ask for it, he hated that feeling, inside, of knowing he needed help. He had lived his entire life to prove otherwise, but he'd been left in a situation where he was out of control, due to some cruel joke.

His cane and glasses were nowhere to be seen, the kids had obviously taken the items with them. He stepped carefully on the field, making a mental note to be careful with each step. He almost stumbled at one point, and stopped up for a second. He had tripped over a small indent in the field, he didn't know what it was, but to the eye it was clear. Tire treads, the kids must've driven him all of the way to the center of the field and just dumped him off. Alexei slowly began to accept Jaiden's help a little more, swallowing his pride a little. But only a little, as he was quick to say, "When we get to my place you have to let me find some way to repay you for your kindness Jaiden, I can't offer you much, but I'm good in a kitchen if you'd like to stay for lunch..."

Obviously, Alexei had been out for a little while, he had been mugged in the morning when he went for a quick stroll. He wasn't aware that it was nearing dinnertime.

She smiled hearing his comment about being blind not handicap. She noted he was also handsome despite the beating he took. She lead him through the field as well as she could. Knowing he had no sight the last thing she wanted is to make him trip up and fall on his face because she wasn't paying attention.

She could tell in the body language and hesitancy that this man Alexei did not accept help offten. She smiled slightly trying to lead him around anything that could be of obstacle. She saw the tire tracks and wished she could call the police. But he didn't seem the type to care for that kind of attention.

She looked at him with confusion when he said lunch. It then struck her that he was probably unconscious for awhile. She bit her lip and brushed her auburn hair from her face. "Um.. I don't know how to tell you this but.....its almost seven pm." She looked at his banged up face and thought of something. "I'll make you a deal Alexei; I'll stay for dinner if when we get to your houe, you let me clean you up a bit."

Alexei continued to make his way through the field, careful to follow every step of hers. He wanted to hurry back home so he could stop looking so helpless- but he knew he had to walk at the pace she was going at. He noticed her arms were slender as he walked with her, step for step, noticing when the ground beneath him changed from soft grass to hard pavement.

He was wearing a white collared shirt, which had been ruffled and torn in a few places. Underneath it revealed a few bruises, but mostly a fairly toned chest. He kept himself in good shape, it was part of his attitude and his stubborn pride. He slowly continued the walk with Jaiden less awkward and it felt more natural as time went on. He stumbled once, over his own simple but nice pair of black dressy shoes, but quickly recovered.

He felt a cool wind send a chill down from his spine, and asked, "Which street are we on now? It feels like I've walked here before..." Alexei liked to know where he was, he hated to not have any sense of direction.

Jaiden was careful to watch in front of him and realized too late she should of told him they were about to step onto pavement. She was happy he seemed to be proud of himself and able to be independent. She hadn't met anyone like him that had this air about him that made it so it didn't matter if he was blind because he would still be able to do it. It was enlightening. A nice change from the people she knew or use to know.

As they stepped onto 1st street she felt the coolness of the wind dance over the exposed skin in her work out clothes. Until now, she had forgotten what she was wearing. It usually wasn't a problem due to the fact she was jogging at this time but this was different and she couldn't keep herself from the slight shiver her body did.

When he asked her where they were she smiled, it was good he was aware. "were on first street. Cherry is right around the corner. I actually live on the other end of this street, Harper ave."

Alexei nodded as each footstep started to feel a little more familiar, he had walked up and down the street many times to get a feel for it. Knowing where he was, he knew which way the wind was coming from, it seemed to be coming from the Northwest. That coupled with the cool feel of it, and the forecast from the previous day, he noted, "It's gonna rain tonight, chance of thunderstorm too."

He started to loosen his grip on her arm as he became more comfortable with his surroundings, the only thing stopping him from leading the way back to his house was the limp he had. He smiled a little bit, and told her the address, "My house is 1342, it should be the third or fourth house coming up on the right. I rent the basement suite, it's a simple little place, and it's the walkway around the side of the house." He might have loosened his grip upon her arm, but he wasn't letting go of her, it had been so long since he'd actually had any kind of physical contact with somebody else. Most people gave him tons of space, and he'd almost forgotten what it felt like entirely to hold someone else's skin.

She groaned, "I am not exactly dressed for it to start raining rigt now." Feeling that to be a selfish remark she blushed slightly they were nearing his place. She saw his house two down on the right and smiled. He had lightened his hold on her arm which told her he had traveled this route many times. She patted his hand in front of the home. "The walk way is right here."

She wanted to be sure he didn't trip or walk by the house though she had to admit his company despite the situation was very nice. Welcomed even. She looked at him again, gratful he couldn't see her admiring him. It would be embarassing. But there was enough to admire. It was nice to see someone who wasn't changing around her to impress her. "When we get inside, tell me where I can get a washcloth and some bandages. I want to get you cleaned up"

"The bathroom should be your third left, under the counter on the left, is where all of my first aid stuff is kept," when he made it onto the walkway he limped his way a step ahead of Jaiden, as to open the door for her. He was a gentleman at heart, and despite their situation simply couldn't have her holding open the door for him. The open door revealed an amazingly neat, organized, and clean place. He needed to keep it that way so he would know where everything was. The door opened straight into the living room, which had a simple couch set up next to a book case. It was simply littered on one side with books on tape, the other, books in braille. He kept himself well educated, and loved to read anything he could get his hands on. Beside the book case in the corner was a laptop and some equipment plugged into it, to allow him to use it properly. There was seemingly only one thing missing from the living room, a TV. He let go of her arm when he made it inside, and stepped confidently around his home, as if he could see where he was going.

She smiled and noted how much of a gentleman he truly was. "Thank you Alexei." She stepped in and looking around could appreciate the fact he didn'tlive like most bachelors. A complete slob...no, this man's house was clean, very organized. She would of whistled in appreciateion if she were a male but she wasn't. She smiled instead, "Your home is very lovely, and clean. You blow most bachelor's right out of the running."

She had a warm smile, it was one of those you could almost feel. She saw he was making his way around his home easily and nodded, "Ill go get the first aid stuff." She went where he told her to the bathroom. It was all there in the cupboard. She grabbed the peroxide, bandages and a wash clothe. Coming out with the items held in her arms she glanced to where the kitchen was. "We should get an ice pack on that eye while I clean you up"

Alexei nodded, he was a good listener, (the fact that he didn't have any visual distractions probably helped), and he made his way to his freezer and opened it up quickly. He counted the steps in his head as he stepped back towards his couch. He heard her make her way to his bathroom, which again, she'd find was spic and span clean, and ridiculously organized. Organization was a way of life for Alexei, he needed to know where everything was and make sure he put things away in the same place. He simply couldn't function the way he did if he didn't know where anything was. He sat down on the couch and put the ice pack to his eye. He grabbed a second one from the freezer and surprised even himself when he pulled off his ragged shirt and pinned the second icepack between his side and the couch. He had taken a good kick in that side, and the bruise was evident on the side of his torso. He remained there, not moving, sitting on the side of the couch, holding one icepack to his face, the other crunched up against his side as he awaited Jaiden's return.

She came out and walked over to the couch where he wass sitting with ice to his eye. It was then she saw his exposed chest and then the bruising. She shook her head but said nothing about it. She knelt in front of him and put the stuff beside her except for the washcloth. "I am going to clean your face. Its covered in blood thats dried and dirt." It wasn't until she told him that she actually brought it to his face, gentle strokes cleaning off the mud and caked on blood. She put that in her lap then put some peroixde on a piece of gauze. "Antiseptic" she said softly before dabbing it lightly. She then bandaged it and looked at the brusing on his ribs. Her soft fingers running across it gently. "Did they break a rib?"

Alexei nodded as she explained what she was doing, he was relieved she explained it, it helped give him a sense of security in her actions. He liked to know what was going on, and as she went to work he winced a few times and shook his head to her question, "I don't think so, it doesn't feel broken. Just bruised, badly." He felt a bit cleaner after she had finished her work, he could physically feel the grime removed, and the cut wasn't stinging so much anymore. His previously stinging nerves seemed at ease, and Alexei was quick to put his mind towards repaying Jaiden.

He leaned forward and continued to hold the bitter cold ice pack to his eye, but a smile was on his lips now. He asked, "What would you like for dinner? I have an extensive fridge, I don't often have company so I'd like to break out something special to treat you to. What kind of food are you into? Italian? Greek? You name it, I probably have the ingredients needed and I can make it."

WHen he leaned forward he wasn't very far from her face at all. She blushed and turned her head to the side slgihtly. Now that she had him cleaed up and spent some time with him she found he was not only handsome but quite intelligent too.

Hearing his question she knew it wouldn't make him happy to politely decline because she didn't want to e a burden. She smiled. "It's been awhile since I have had anything Greek." she smiled, "And if you want, I can help you out if that just puts me in the way though Ill sit at the table to keep you company."

Alexei nearly jumped up from the couch, as if somebody had just injected 20 ccs of red bull into his veins at her answer. He had that sudden burst of energy because that stubborn pride of his was kicking in. He needed to repay her for her kindness, she had helped him in more ways than he'd ever usually accept, and yet... he didn't feel upset about it as he usually would. He darted to the kitchen and before he began to rummage through the fridge to see what he could find, he turned and said, "You'd probably be better seated at the table, I move fast in the kitchen, and I'm not used to having anyone around I could bump into," with a slight grin. He couldn't have seen the smile on Jaiden's face, but he could hear in her voice she was genuinely happy to be there in that moment. And he wasn't going to let her down.

He preheated the oven and began preparing the food, deciding on a classic oven-roasted pork chops with with tomatoes. Smiling as he worked, he pulled out a head of lettuce as well and started to work on a greek salad as a side. It was astounding to watch him work in the kitchen, he knew where everything was and moved with astounding speed and confidence. Even when he began to slice up a tomato and some bell pepper to cover the dish with, he sliced it as a professional chef would. As he slid the pork into the oven, he said to Jaiden, "So before I start asking more things about the wonderful lady who helped me out today, (thank you again, by the way), if you'd like you could turn the radio on in the corner." Alexei's main source of entertainment was the stereo system, and it showed. He had a massive CD collection, and a Satellite radio was attached to the stereo system as well. It was off at the moment, but the default station for it was a classic rock station, one of Alexei's favourites.

Jaiden was surprised with his sudden spike in excitement at cooking for her. It was a welcomed reaction though. If more men were like him.She shook her head brushing that thought away. She smiled as she watched him moving through the kitchen. He was obviously very familiar with cooking despite having no sight.

She was sitting at the table, admiring his cooking when he told her to go ahead and turn on the radio. She smiled and stood. "I'd be glad to." She walked over and turned the radio on. Her smile grew, "Rock fan?" they had something in common. She made her way back over to the table sitting in the chair with her legs crossed as she continued to watch him. "You don't get to cook often for others do you?" Another observation she hoped asking about wouldn't bother Alexei.

Alexei stalled, but then nodded and admitted the truth, "I don't get to do much of anything with other people. Most people, they tend to... keep their space from me, afraid to bump into me, I suppose. I guess they'd think it would be respecting me, but it really can feel like they're avoiding me. I know a few people at my work, but again, only acquaintances.. I've never had somebody come over." he shrugged when he finished. It bothered him more than he let show, every human needed contact with others, and he was eager not to let this opportunity pass him by. He wanted to make sure Jaiden felt at home in his home, if not more comfortable.

The smell of the pork, (and the garlic which was roasting on top of it) began to fill the kitchen, as Alexei was just finishing up with the Greek Salad, dropping feta cheese on top of it with ease, all of it landing in the wooden salad bowl. He left it on the counter and walked towards the dining room table where she was seated. It occurred to him as he walked, that he was still shirtless, but she hadn't said anything yet, and by the tone of her voice she didn't seem too uncomfortable. He walked past the dining room table to a small cabinet in the corner. He asked, "Would you like some wine with dinner? I have a Merlot that would go fantastic with this dish..."

She watched him as he cooked and told her of the people that kept their space from him. It bothered her for some reason. She didn't quite understand it but she knew that blind or not doesn't mean he wants to be alone all the time. She smiled, "From the smell of this food, they do not know what they are missing." She shrugged a bit, "You do seem to have this prideful air about you Alexei, but it doesn't make me want to give you distance. Just admire you." She blushed slightly at the truth behind this fact.

As he walked over to the cabinet and asked her about wine. She was going to decline as she isn't use to having alcohol but she couldn't turn him down. She smiled, it was too nice to turn down. She wouldn't have a chance like this agsin for awhile. "Merlott sounds wonderful." She could smell the pork and it made her stomach growl. She stifled a laugh and was thankful for the radio being on to cover the sound. "Do you need any help?" She sat there watching him, the way his muscles moved when he did. It was very attractive.

His face hidden behind the door of the cabinet, he blushed when she complimented him. He had been complimented before, but that was usually at work, for his work. He hadn't been complimented on his stubborn pride before, it usually only tended to piss people off. After his flush started to wear off, he pulled himself back from the cabinet and smiled towards Jaiden.

Radio or no radio, Alexei heard the stomach growl. His ears had become sharper over the years as he had began to use them more and more without his ability to see. He smiled a little as he placed a Merlot on the table and said, "Well, perhaps I could let you set the table, so we could get to eating quicker and appease that growling stomach of yours."

He returned back to the kitchen quickly though, and began to pull the food out of the oven. He had no timer, he hadn't needed to check a clock of any kind, he simply knew. He made every meal from scratch, and by himself, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It started off roughly, he'd had a few cases of crispy chicken and nearly setting the place on fire, but with time he became more and more comfortable. Setting the pan down on top of the stove for now, he pointed roughly at a drawer and said, "Cutlery's in there, as well as in the back there is some place-mats for the table and some kerchiefs."

She blushed when she realized he had found or rather heard her out. She giggled slightly unable to help it. "Guess my stomach has a mind of its own" When he mentioned she could help set the table she stood and seeing where he pointed made her way to the drawer pulling out the cutlery, place-mats and kerchiefs for two. Bringing them over to the table she set it where they were sitting next to each other instead of across from each other.

She was getting use to how neat he kept his house and after some searching found two wine glasses and set them on the table. She smiled at him. This was kind of seeming like a date to her. A nice date. She shook her head, not usually letting herself think like that and looked at her hands. "I am going to use the rest room. I'll be right out."

She made her way to the bathroom and began to wash her hands, one look in the mirror and she was grateful for his not being able to see her. She was in work out clothes and though her hair was combed it wasn't in its best shape. She had a nice body but it looked better in her casual clothing than it did in work out clothes in her eyes. She stalled enough and cleaned up a bit before drying her hands and coming back out into the kitchen. "All set"

By the time she had returned, the wine glasses had been filled, the food was on both plates, and the salad was on the table in front of them. The small table wasn't designed for many people, and they would be fairly close beside each other. Alexei had noticed how she'd set the table up, with them beside each other, and a smile was on his lips because of it. A gentle pitter-patter of rain began to sound outside, the rain had arrived, the storm hadn't yet, but it was on the way. Words couldn't describe how much he enjoyed Jaiden's company, and he was trying his best not to smother her with his affection and his attention. He had turned the chair for her so she could sit down easily, and he waited to be able to push her chair in before he sat down himself. As he awaited her arrival at the table, he said, "I hope the food isn't too terrible."

Back
Top Bottom