Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tell me about your faith

You completely missed Kawa's point.

And my attempt to educate you. I wasn't bitching about your insane fanaticism, I was trying to lead you out of it. You're clearly too incoherently raging to discuss this, however - You've assumed yourself as being right since you entered this thread.

I would hope you have some measure of respect for my intelligence, Trazz. You may have too much of an ego to accept exactly how you and I are positioned on that scale, but understand that I am seriously trying to clue you into something you've missed that you are being unreasonable about.

Religion is one of those things I try to remain neutral in.
I don't believe in any one or many deities, nor an afterlife.
But I am not against believing in them either.
I was Roman-Catholic growing up, but kind of faded out of it.
But I still keep to the Bible. However I believe in it as a story with a moral, opposed to a history text like some people do.

Then when people have a problem with my choice, usually the theists, I like to point out interesting little flaws in their system.
There are some rather interesting things in the Bible...

Well, I am right, but still. When I find myself having to reiterate points I've already made against Kawa, I get a bit pissed off. He just has to disagree, even if it means taking the debate back into a circle. Fucker.

I do respect intelligence. I don't respect religion, because respect is something that is earned.

Ilovegoatse said:
Trazz has become what he hated.

A raging fanatic.

FULL CIRCLE!
If I'm going to be a fanatic, I might as well channel it towards other things.

Trazz said:
[
You might have a point if I was the only one who experienced such a thing. Since the majority of people in the US are Christian, it stands to reason that the majority of children in the US have grown up in Christian households. Most just go on to inherit their parent's religion. Some end up as crazy fundies, some are more moderate Christians who don't let that shit interfere with their lives, some just give up on Christianity or religion entirely.

Of course, I don't know why I typed all this, you'll just keep at it because you're Kawamura, and you have to stoke the flames.

No, no. You're basing your opinion of Christians on anecdotal evidence, yet you are upset when people do this for their religion.

And I'm not doing this to 'stoke the flames'. I simply have a severe problem with people who think they know everything yet make really common logical mistakes. Especially if they're atheist. Again, that's you attacking me, not actually trying to see the problems I'm trying to point out.

Kawamura said:
No, no. You're basing your opinion of Christians on anecdotal evidence, yet you are upset when people do this for their religion.

And I'm not doing this to 'stoke the flames'. I simply have a severe problem with people who think they know everything yet make really common logical mistakes. Especially if they're atheist. Again, that's you attacking me, not actually trying to see the problems I'm trying to point out.
I'm basing my opinion of Christians from accounts taken from history, as well as people from all over the world. There's this thing called the "internet" that allows access to that sort of thing. And like I said, there are a lot of people like me. At what point does it stop being anecdotal evidence and start being a legitimate sample size?

Chance are, you're not going to get a good sample.

About 1,000 will give you a fantastic read if you actually pick them randomly and know how to examine a survey. I'm going to guess that you don't have the resources nor thought process to do such, plus, that sort of research is prone to confirmation bias: you're going to find what you want to find.

There are a lot of people like you. That's frustrating to me, trust me, because they create ideas of the Christian faith, seem to think that's the only religion or theistic ... whatever and then attack those and seem to think they've defeated religion as a whole.

I figure I should actually answer the question.

>.>

*grumbles* I'm a secular humanist.

I believe there is a god, and he created the universe according to his laws. Anything beyond that is man trying to quantify something unquantifible, for his own gain.

How about deity as coalescent entity? Where there are many entities in the universe, each with capabilities and operative levels far beyond what we can even perceive in our limited human way, but each of whom operates as metaphorically a single neuron in the effective brain of a larger organizing entity, in principle. Which would explain polytheism while still operating under a greater umbrella of monotheism... unless there are other coalescent entities birthed out of other universes, meaning a greater multiverse as diverse and conflicting as our own planet, but writ large in the multiplicity of infinite realms...

TOZ said:
I believe there is a god, and he created the universe according to his laws. Anything beyond that is man trying to quantify something unquantifible, for his own gain.
This.

Mr Master said:
How about deity as coalescent entity? Where there are many entities in the universe, each with capabilities and operative levels far beyond what we can even perceive in our limited human way, but each of whom operates as metaphorically a single neuron in the effective brain of a larger organizing entity, in principle. Which would explain polytheism while still operating under a greater umbrella of monotheism... unless there are other coalescent entities birthed out of other universes, meaning a greater multiverse as diverse and conflicting as our own planet, but writ large in the multiplicity of infinite realms...
Also this. Actually a rather succinct summary of some recent thoughts I've been having.

Glad you're with me Trygon. And think that's a perfectly viable explanation Master, if maybe a little more intellectual than I'd put it. ^_^ I don't count any religion invalid because of how they perceive god, I find them invalid because they write their word as god's word. And I'm not cool with using the creator to justify homicide and oppression.

I was raised Catholic but seduced Satanist...Just kidding. I'm Still Sorta Catholic. Just not a very good one.

Mr_Sunshine said:
DarkWitch said:
I was raised Catholic but seduced Satanist...Just kidding. I'm Still Sorta Catholic. Just not a very good one.
My favorite kind.
Yeah, very bad Catholic. Lucky for me all the girl's I kissed will be in hell with me. hahah

I'm more or less in the same boat as DarkWitch. I was raised Catholic, though not terribly strict just your average 'good' Catholics (or whatever). Church every Sunday, catechism classes, and the like. Anyways, I got to a point where I stopped going except on the bigger 'occasions' like Easter and Christmas. As of now I haven't been to church in years. But I came to realize that it wasn't going to mass that made me believe, it was simply me. I do not believe one must go to church to be faithful. Maybe that's a cop-out but I don't feel it is. I have my beliefs and they are good enough for me. I have nothing to prove to anyone *shrugs*

I had two Mormons come to the door, they kept pushing their faith...But blew off everything I had to say about mine. As if it didn't exist or as if it was a cosmic joke. At least I listened.

The best way to deal with door to door cults is to answer in the nude with the response "We're about to sacrifice a goat, want to help?".

Back
Top Bottom