Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Behind the Mask (butterfly0408/Kolath)

He blinked not sure he understood what she was getting at with asking where his clothes were. Shrugging he stepped over a little and motioned to another wardrobe about the same size just far enough away to give room for a vanity and dresser next to hers. â??Right over there.â? It was a little smaller but considering that it and the dresser held menâ??s clothes that was expected. â??Why?â?

Paige smiled wider still and came up to him, raising her hand to his chin and tilting his head down towards her lips as she gave him a kiss, "So... you intend for us both to be in this room then?" Her tone was playful and her face was just so full of joy.

He smiled pulling her closer kissing her deeply nuzzling close as he held her his arms around her waist. â??I do intend for us to share this room. As well as the rest of our lives together if you would like that.â? He smiled his hands caressing her back as he stood there looking into her eyes.

"You know I would love it. I promised myself to you all whose years ago and I still stand by it today Cameron. That is.... as long as YOU will still have me." She moved away from him and went back to her pile of clothing, digging though them finding a hidden pocket in the skirts of her dress, she pulled out a chain with something on the end of it. "I still carry this with me Cameron. Clearly I could not wear it after I.... I promised Everett... but he didn't know I kept it." The chain had a small, very common ring on it's chain. Just a band. It had been all he could afford to give her once upon a time.

He smiled seeing the chain and reached out taking the ring from her he took it from the chain and leaning in he kissed her deeply. â??I love you Paige,â? his hand brought hers up to eye level and slowly started to slip the promise ring back on to her finger, â??And if you will be mine again I will have you.â? He waited for her answer before he would slip the ring on the rest of the way.

She smiled sweetly at him and for a moment remembered just how it had been the first time he asked her to be his with this ring. It was much different of course. Happening in a barn and fully clothed rather than naked and in the bedroom of a grand manor, but she still cherished the memory. She would cherish this on just as much as well. "Yes. I will be your Cameron. I always will be."

He smiled the ring still fit snuggly on her finger and he stood kissing her deeply before he stepped back smiling. â??I knew there was something missing from how you looked now you are complete again my love.â? He chuckled lightly his hand brushing her cheek. â??Though if we stay here in the nude much longer we will never get down for supper let alone the afternoon meal I had in mind.â? He turned and quickly picked out some simple clothes for himself much like he would have worn years ago he waited for her to get dressed as well before he went to the door to lead her down to the dinning room.

Paige felt complete once more now that the ring was on her finger again. She smiled as she finally graced the scene on his arm with the simple yet lovely lavender gown on. Some of the servants of the house were getting their first glances of the master's lady. They had certainly heard her this morning. And a little while ago. She was a mystery to them all, but soon she'd be the mistress of their house, though they did not know it yet.

Cameron felt so good to finally once more have Paige the woman he loved on his arm. He leaned over many times whispering into her ear as they walked down seeing the looks of the servants he was guessing they had heard her and he couldnâ??t help but point that out to her. there was a beautiful array of dishes laid out on the table for them everything light and tasteful simple to eat giving plenty of energy while still leaving enough room that they would be able to eat later that evening. As they started eating Cameron couldnâ??t help but start to think about his guest down in the dungeonâ?¦he would have to mention that to Paige sometime soon.

Paige had never really been a, how do you say... proper lady, when she ate before. But now it was a force of habit after all the 'lessons' Everett had forced her to take. So while she was starving, she only gently picked at the food before her. The thought of Everett had come to her once again. What had happened to him? She paused a little, but did not ask for fear of how Cameron would react to such a thing.

Cameron sighed and finally set his fork and knife down. He had been watching Paige and everything she did reminded him of Everett and he finally had to tell her. â??Paigeâ?¦there is something we need to discuss,â? he paused trying to think of how to put this but finally settled on the direct approach. â??Before I knew that you still held onto my memory and still loved meâ?¦I had not planned our reunion, I had planned revenge on both you and Everett.â? He sighed shaking his head, â??Last night I did some things I am not proud of but they ended up with us being here nowâ?¦â? he sighed once again, â??and Everett being in the dungeon.â?

Paige had laid her own fork and knife down not long after he did and listened to everything he had to say. In truth, she didn't know how to respond. Her head and her emotions were all in a spin over all that had happened in less then 24 hours. But much of how she ended up in his bed was indeed fuzzy still. She hardly remembered even arriving at the party but then... things started to come back to her. "You...... you were in the crowd, making me think I was seeing your ghost..... and then Everett he........ he hit me didn't he?" She still did not recall the bit in the dining room after that and in truth she never would unless he told her so. She was not really awake during it. He could get away with never letting her know and it was always be just a distance memory of a dream.

Cameron nodded as she remembered some things from the night before. He sighed kind of glad that she didnâ??t remember what he had done but he wanted to let her know that there was moreâ?¦he would have no secrets from her without her knowing at least that he had them. â??There was more that happened last night my loveâ?¦things that I am ashamed that I did to you.â? He sighed looking down, â??You saw how angry I was up in the room last night, that was what was still there after last night. If you wish to know what happened in detail I will tell you but the big thing you need to know is that Everett is still hereâ?¦in the dungeon mainly because he hit you last night.â?

Paige was no sure really if she wanted to know the truth. Would it taint things? She was happy just they way things were right at this very moment. She wanted things to always stay the same. "I don't want to know Cameron. But whatever you did, I know you are sorry for it. I see it in your eyes. And I forgive you for it, whatever it maybe. From now on, the slate is clean, as long you can forgive me as well." She smiled a little and leaned across the table to gently kiss his lips a moment, a smile on her face as she sat back in her seat once again... and sighed, "What are we to do with him now? We can't keep him locked up. And there will be a horrible scandal if he tells people you looked him up and that I have broken the engagement."

Cameron sighed feeling so relieved that she didnâ??t want to know about the night before. He sighed as she mentioned Everett and what would happen once he was released. â??I donâ??t know Paige but I doubt that the scandal will matter once they find out what he did.â? He sighed. â??Ok I donâ??t know that it was him for sure but it fits too well I mean how long after coming back did he propose to you?â?

She thought back, "It was not right away. A month or so after his return. I denied him many times before I had no other choice but to say yes to him. You mean, you have no proof? Cameron how can we do anything with no proof against him? He is a powerful man."

Cameron looked at her a slightly dark cast to his eyes, â??As am I my love my position is in fact higher then Everettâ??s.â? he closed his eyes for a moment then sighed and reached over taking and caressing the back of her hand with his thumb. â??but you are right we need proof andâ?¦.â? He trailed off a look that spoke of something turning over in his mind trying to be sure of something. â??My love do you know the law on what is needed to testify to what one man says?â?

"Well," she stroked her chin a moment with her fingers thinking, "It's always a he said she said matter. If whole help if he confessed either on paper, written in his own hand... or with many people about to hear and testify to what they heard."

Smiling Cameron stood and reached down to help her up, â??The law says that, â??With a manâ??s accuser and one otherâ??s sworn testimony shall what a man said be known.â??â? He leaned in kissing her softly. â??You only need to have one witness that will swear to what they have heard and you can prove it.â? his hand brushed over her cheek smiling at her, â??Care to be the other witness my love?â?

She looked a little skeptical, "And what makes you think he will confess such a thing to either you or even I? I can picture it now, 'sorry I tried to kill you Cameron. Horrible I failed. Send me to jail please.'" She sighed a little and rolled her eyes.

He laughed smiling nuzzling against her hair. â??No he wouldnâ??t do that butâ?¦if there is anything that Everett is it is proud of his abilities. And he might just confess to someone else.â? He smiled and covered his eyes for a second with one hand, â??A masked someone that he has no idea who it is.â? He looked at her again dropping his hand from his eyes, â??Good thing we have had a masked ball recently.â?

She was still skeptical, "Cameron, I don't know." She sighed and glanced up at him, "But you sure seem to be. Very well. We can give it a try. What else do we have to loose?"

He shrugged. â??Iâ??m just grasping at the only thing that I see we can do.â? He nuzzled her hair before walking back up stairs to get the mask that he had left there. He came back down to find Paige slipping up behind her kissing her neck. â??I never need to hide myself from you again my love.â? He smiled the mask in his hands around her waist where she could see it.

She was a little apprehensive still, but his love and affection made things at least a little bit better. It was so nice to have him again. "Even if it does not work out with Everett's confession.... we can go away if we must. Start over. I would give up all for you."

He smiled nodding and nuzzled against her neck as he kissed it lightly. Smiling he nipped her ear, â??I was thinking of taking you away in any case my love.â? He smirked and stepped back still holding her hand as he started to the door. â??I want you all to myself with no other young men around to try and pursue you.â? He was heading toward the dungeon cell where Everett was being held only stopping if she did not follow.

Back
Top Bottom