Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

TARAK TALES BACKGROUND THREAD - WORLD MATERIAL (no comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is to be used as a resource for the small group that will play in the RP/RPGs I've got going. This is essentially the same thing I set up over on DRP, but there are very few of those players who carried over, and I'm trying to cut the number down, anyway (6 is a great number for in-person games, but unwieldy for this type of thing). I may run several different groups through the same setting, so this may be useful for a variety of purposes. AND! If someone finds this setting interesting enough to set their own RPs or games here? I'd be flattered. However, I do claim ownership of this particular resource thread; if you wish something added or clarified for your own game or RP, please PM me. I'm happy to answer questions about it, and if they're good, I'll put an addendum here.

This game borrows some world-building concepts from classic Dungeons & Dragons (which in turn borrows many of its concepts from Tolkien's various works), but I must stress, this is NOT D&D. There are a few variant races around and about, people can make an argument about this or that, but it is ITS OWN SYSTEM that just draws on familiar concepts. It uses names and descriptions, where convenient, but it's its own thing. Do me a favor and don't come talking to me about D&D stuff with regard to this, unless it's coming as a suggestion of something I might consider working in. I'd be much more receptive to "hey, have you heard about ____?" than I would be to "but ____ is a core race in 4th edition!"

Right now, it's mostly set up, and I'm adding more data as it comes up. I'd appreciate if people wouldn't comment directly in the thread. This is not a recruitment thread, this is merely an informational thread. The recruitment thread, should one become necessary, will be under a separate cover. Any questions or comments regarding this particular thread can be directed to me via PM.

Quick Reference;

Game System Mechanics

What I'm going to be doing is basically playing this just like a regular table-top RPG, with characters and dice and all of that. Role-playing will obviate the need for dice in most situations, but where a skill becomes necessary to use, I will be making all necessary rolls as GM. I use the die roller at Random.Org, and the first die of any roll result is the Wild Die, a mechanic explained later.

I'm using an adapted form of the d6 rules, as established by West End Games in their now-defunct Star Wars RPG. In that rule system, all possible actions are covered by Skills, and all possible skills fall under one of six Attributes. Attributes are therefore the foundation of the character. All attributes have a certain die code, a number of dice you roll to get a result. Every skill that falls under an attribute uses that attribute's die code as its base. Skills that are developed build up from the attribute die code. That means if your Strength attribute, for example, is 3D, then any skill that falls under Strength is going to be at least 3D without any training. But if you build up a Strength skill, such as Jumping, it can only go higher.

All die codes in d6 are expressed as basically how many 6-sided die you roll. The total of the die rolls are added up, and that's your result. High numbers are good, because basically, you're wanting to roll higher than a) a set difficulty, or b) your opponent's roll. Die codes sometimes have pips, which are extra numbers you add on to the result once you roll it. 3 pips get translated into +1D on the die code. So, the progression would be 2D, 2D+1, 2D+2, 3D, 3D+1, 3D+2, 4D, etc.

Normal human average attributes are 2D. Human maximum attributes are 4D. Player characters are automatically considered to be "heroes," and as such, start off with an overall average of 3D in each attribute.

Skills have a minimum of the skill's attribute, and no ultimate maximum (there are limits during character creation, but not afterward). Some conventional benchmarks (which may be askew for a fantasy setting, but still useful):
  • 2D: Human average skill.
    3D: Well-trained.
    4D: Professional. A mechanic with this level of skill could open a shop, an accountant could go independent, etc.
    5D: Above-average expertise
    6D: Considered about the best in a city or geographic area. About 1 in 100,000 people will have training to this skill level.
    7D: Among the best on a continent. About 1 in 10,000,000 people will have training to this skill level.
    8D: Among the best on a planet. About 1 in 100,000,000 people will have training to this skill level.[/list:u]

That's basically how the statistic mechanics and die codes break down.

There is also a mechanic called a Wild Die. One die in every roll (the first one in the die roller I use) is considered the Wild Die. If the Wild Die rolls a 6, the 6 is counted into the total of the roll, and the die is rolled again to add to the total. If it comes up a 6, it's added in and rolled again, and so forth until the first time it comes up anything other than a 6. On the other hand, if the first roll comes up a 1, the 1 is never counted into the total, and the GM (me) can decide whether the 1 means a penalty (in which case the highest die of the rest of the roll is also eliminated), or a complication, which means something happens to complicate the situation. I get to decide what that is.

In operation, what happens is, a player will attempt to use a skill (whether or not the character has training, they can try just about anything they can think of), and will roll the appropriate number of dice. Let's say the die code is 3D+2. The dice would come up 4, 3, 5. The Wild Die did not come up a 1 or a 6, so nothing special happens. 3D=4+3+5=12, +2=14. The skill roll is therefore 14. This roll is compared to either a pre-set difficulty (such as 10) or the opponent's roll (let's say your enemy rolled a 12). If your skill roll is higher, you do what you attempted. If it's lower, you fail. Fast and simple.

There are several different things that can happen with skills and people, but one of the common and interesting things that bears mentioning is performing multiple actions simultaneously. In each given "turn" or "round" or other short unit of time, a character can normally perform one action, like use a weapon. However, they could conceivably attempt to do more than one action, like use a weapon twice, or use a weapon and dodge at the same time, or use a weapon and leap over a gorge, etc. There's a drawback, though: for every extra action attempted, there's a -1D penalty for all actions. So, if you take 2 attacks, both of your attack rolls are going to be at -1D. If you try for 3 attacks, all your rolls are going to be at -2D. And so forth. However, if you've got a high enough skill in whatever you are attempting, you can take some die penalties and still have a quite reasonable chance of success, so it's worth knowing about the mechanic.

There are three more mechanics of play: Hero Points, Evil Points, and Character Points.

Hero Points are a special way to make things go well. It comes out of the Star Wars "Force Points" mechanic, which is when you basically just trust in the Force. For one round, all your character statistics are doubled. So, 4D skills become 8D for that round, for example. The drawback is, you have to do something heroic, or you lose the point. If you're just regularly heroic, you get the point back, but if you're super-heroic, you earn another one. And if you use your Hero Point to do selfishness or evil, you get an Evil Point.

All player characters are assumed to be essentially good. Flawed, insane, dangerous, whatever, but in the end working for the right side of things. If you directly counter that, you get an Evil Point, and if you get enough of them, your character goes Evil, and stops being a player character. Evil points are pretty hard to get; you have to either use a Hero Point selfishly or for evil, or you have to commit some egregious sin. I'll always warn you when you're courting an Evil Point.

Character Points can be spent during play to gain momentary advantage, such as +1D on a given roll, whether attack or defense (within limits). Character points are also spent between sessions to increase skills. In short, the die number (the "2" in "2D" for example) is the number of character points needed to bump up to the next pip.

That's the thumbnail of the mechanics. More details available via PM or in the actual planning thread, as this is the informational thread.

Skills and Attributes

The 6 attributes used in the game: Dexterity (hand-eye coordination, physical agility), Knowledge (mental data of various sorts), Mechanical (manipulating complex devices, transports, etc.), Perception (senses, interaction, and intuition), Strength (power and stamina), and Technical (building and repairing things). I'm not changing the names from the Star Wars original, we'll just cope with them in a medieval setting.

All skills have been chosen for the particular genre.

Dexterity Skills include: Archery (bow-type weapons), Brawling Parry (defense against Brawling), Dodge (defense against ranged attacks/avoiding any attack and sacrificing any counterattack), Melee Parry (defense against Melee), Melee Weapons (hand-to-hand weapons), Pickpocket, Running, and Thrown Weapons (muscle-powered ranged weapons). Any other skill that relies on precision of movement falls under Dexterity, as well.

Knowledge skills include: Bestiary (creatures of all sorts; overlaps with Cultures for intelligent species), Bureaucracy, Business, Cultures (social organizations; overlaps with Bestiary for intelligent species), Geography, Intimidation, Languages, Law Enforcement, Scholar (requires a specialty), Streetwise, Survival, Tactics, Value, and Willpower. Any other information-based skill falls under Knowledge, as well. Note: Knowledge represents schooled learning, NOT intelligence.

Mechanical skills include: Beast Riding, Beast Training (all kinds of animal behavior), Boating (small water vessels), Cultivation (growing things), Magic Item Operation (complex magical devices; also what passes for high-tech gear), Navigation (stars or compass), Sailing (large water vessels), Siege Weaponry Operation (catapults, ballistae, etc.), and Team Driving (creatures pulling or pushing a vehicle, separate from riding). Any other skill that involves some sort of complex manipulation that isn’t a Dexterity skill falls under Mechanical, as well.

Perception skills include: Bargain, Command, Con, Forgery, Gambling, Hide (concealment of items), Investigation, Performance (storytelling, music, etc.), Persuasion, Search, and Sneak (moving silently and concealing self). Any other interactive or sensory-based skill falls under Perception, as well.

Strength skills include Brawling (all unarmed combat), Climbing/Jumping, Lifting, Stamina, and Swimming. Any other muscular skill falls under Strength, as well. Note: Strength is also used in damage rolls and resisting damage.

Technical skills include: Armorcrafting (armor of all sorts: some metalwork, some leather craft, some sewing, etc.), Bowmaking (bow-type weaponry), Carpentry (structures, wagons, barrels, boats, etc.), Jewelrymaking, Leatherworking, Locksmithing (making and opening physical locks), Medicine, Mining (digging, surviving underground dangers), Siege Weaponry Construction, Smithing (metalwork, including weapons), Stonemasonry, Tailoring, Trapmaking (making and disabling physical traps), Weaving, and Woodworking (carving and shaping simple wood items). Any other creation or repair skills fall under Technical, as well. Note: special tools are frequently necessary for these skills.

There are also specialty skills, which are more focused than normal skills (like, a single weapon or a single type of machine or aspect of building), and cost half the points to raise, as compared to normal skills. There are also advanced skills, which have prerequisites (certain other skills must be up to a certain level, usually 5D), and start off at 1D and then cost double the points to raise, but add directly onto the prerequisite skills.

Magic System

This magic system is based off the old Force Skills, but it's been home-brewed and modified, and will be done so some more as time goes on.

There is a distinction between Enchantment and Sorcery. Enchantment can be done by anyone with sufficient Craftsmanship skills to understand and complete the magical rituals, the “recipes” for enchantment. Enchantment allows the creator a chance to bestow magical powers on an item crafted, with the usefulness and ubiquity of the item determining the difficulty. Also, once in a lifetime, an enchanter can create a masterwork, a Legacy Item with special powers. Legacy items carry a small piece of the creator’s soul -- literally. As such, they are very rare and are almost never found for sale.

Sorcery is active magic, spells and the like. Sorcerers can be enchanters, and can create items far beyond the capability of a mundane enchanter. Active magic requires training, and that starts early. If one is to learn to use magic, one must either establish one skill with starting attribute dice or purchase it later with 30 character points. Later magic skills can be added as normal skills (3 character points to establish a new skills). Magic skills are not attached to an attribute, and therefore start at 1D, and, when training is available, they are raised as normal skills. Certain tools add bonuses, such as foci (+1 to +1D), amulets (+1 to +1D), consecrated ritual spaces (+1 to +2D), and short or long rituals to focus the mind and magic (+1 to +2D), and so forth. With the right assistance, any sorcerer can be formidable.

The ends to which this power is used is determined by each type of magic skill; each skill is concerned with a particular type of magic. Some magical effects require more than one type of skill. As is always the case when trying to employ more than one skill at a time, both suffer penalties. However, the effect may still be workable.

A magic skill represents some control over a specific field of magic or the universe. The skills are; Biologics (dealing with living things, primarily healing or identifying or influencing), Energetics (affecting the energies of the universe, from fire to cold, light and dark, kinetic force, etc.), Entropics (working with chance and decay), Metamorphics (changing the shape or composition of things), Procreatics (creating things from nothing), Sensorics (detecting and interpreting things in the universe), and Theologetics (dealing with powerful spiritual entities, specific to the Clerical Orders).

For each skill, there are a number of applications. If one knows the application, one can attempt to use the skill to that end. As a rule of thumb, a sorcerer can learn one application per pip of skill (so 3 applications per die). The way it works is, the caster determines which application he or she intends to use, and rolls the appropriate magic skill dice to try and beat the difficulty number required to enact the effect. If successful, the effect happens. If the effect requires two different magic skills, both must be rolled, and both must succeed for the effect to happen.

Some effects happen immediately (or almost immediately, such as in the case of a spell-imbued missile that isn’t fired for a couple of rounds), and others must be maintained. Maintaining a spell is a draw on the caster’s concentration; it affects skill usage just like using multiple skills in a round.

Spell List - Single Skill

Biologics
• Bodily Enhancement: caster can enhance any of the 3 “physical” attributes (Dexterity, Perception for sensory purposes, and Strength); each attribute must be enhanced by a different effect. Difficulty 20; Effect: Biologics skill dice are added to the attribute affected.
• Creature Identification: caster can determine particular facts about a given being examined; the effect is usually assisted by research materials and time, but the magic grants insights and information not normally available. Difficulty: 20+modifiers for speed and level of detail desired.
• Fortitude: caster can temporarily toughen the flesh and bone to resist physical damage; in effect, this acts as natural armor for as long as it is active. The effect lasts as long as it is maintained, and then a short space of time afterward without impinging on the caster’s concentration. Difficulty 10; Effect: Biologics skill dice are added to Strength rolls to resist damage.
• Healing: caster can accelerate the natural healing process in anyone he or she touches, particularly when the wound is fresh (first half hour of injury). Healing Salve can be used in conjunction with the spell, but only if the spell is applied first. Difficulty 15; Effect: reduces the severity of the injury by one step when used immediately; doubles healing time otherwise.
• Regeneration: caster can cause lost or irreparably damaged body parts to regenerate in anyone he or she touches. It is a slow and painful process, but the effect starts it and then lets it unfold naturally. Difficulty 25.
• Stasis Trance: caster can induce a state of hibernation in anyone he or she touches. This hibernation slows all bodily processes down, so that the subject consumes very little air and the effect of any mortal wounds is temporarily halted. The trance can be set at the time of induction with a particular condition for breaking; being sufficiently jostled, after a certain amount of time has passed, at the sound of a keyword, or any other reasonable trigger element. Difficulty 15.

Energetics
• Assistive Telekinesis: caster can influence the kinetic energy of an object in motion, making it move farther or shorter than normal, changing its direction, etc. The caster cannot generate the initial movement, but can affect it afterward. Difficulty: 15+modifier for object’s size; Effect: object is moved as desired, with any skill-based action using relevant skill or Energetics skill to resolve, whichever is lower; in combat, Energetics skill dice are added to either the accuracy or the normal weapon damage (or split between both).
• Empowered Missile: caster can place an energetic effect on an arrow, bolt, or other missile touched, so that when the missile hits the target, the effect takes place. The caster picks the type of energy to be released, and the release of energy generally destroys the missile affected. Alternately, the caster can decide the damage is to be expressed in the form of light, either as an instant flash (providing stun damage, with blindness instead of unconsciousness) or as a slow, illuminating burn, like a gemlight lantern for 1 minute per point of damage, or dimmer like a torch for twice that time. Difficulty 15; Effect: Energetics skill dice are added to the normal weapon damage through the elemental effect.
• Empowered Weapon: caster can create an energetic effect on a melee weapon currently being used, so that the strike of the weapon causes the effect to take place. Alternately, the caster can decide the damage is to be expressed in the form of light, either as an instant flash (providing stun damage, with blindness instead of unconsciousness) or as a slow, illuminating burn, like a gemlight lantern for 1 minute per point of damage, or dimmer like a torch for twice that time. Difficulty 15; Effect: Energetics skill dice are added to the normal weapon damage through the elemental effect.
• Energy Alteration: caster can ramp up or tone down specific energies within an effect zone. The zone can be a particular person's speech, a given room, or a chair, etc.; the default area of effect is essentially one person. The specific energies must be defined with each casting, and each energy type requires a separate casting. Some applications include amplifying or silencing a person's noises, making a small light extremely bright or making a bright light extremely dim, making something very hot or very cold, or canceling the effects of either heat or cold on a thing. Difficulty 15+modifiers for larger area of effect; Effect: Energetics skill dice are added to the appropriate element (resistance or skill or Perception) to get the desired effect.
• Light: caster can create an energetic effect on any item to cause it to shed light just like a gemlight. This effect is, in fact, what powers gemlights, but the crystals are specially prepared to make the effect more or less permanent. Difficulty 5; Effect: sheds illumination like a gemlight lantern for 10 minutes per point rolled, or dimmer like a torch for 30 minutes per point rolled.
• Mystical Shield: caster can pick an approximately flat field of space and neutralize energies passing through that space. The field works best when it is approximately human-sized, but a larger field can be generated at a greater difficulty. The field can shift location and angle as the caster desires. Difficulty 10+modifier for larger field sizes; Effect: Energetics skill dice are added to the resistance roll against any attack that passes through the field.

Entropics
• Affect Randomness: caster can increase or decrease the level of randomness in any process that he or she touches, such as rolling dice or shuffling cards. This usually allows the caster to control the outcome of the process. Difficulty 15.
• Affect Weather: caster can alter the natural chaotic flow of the wind and water and temperature, and can therefore influence the weather in any manner desired. This is sometimes referred to as “taking the butterfly’s wings,” though very few wizards know why. Difficulty at least 30 to shift the weather a little bit, higher for more severe shifts or more targeted effects (lightning strikes in a particular spot, for example).
• Decay: caster can cause the natural processes of rot and decay to occur at a much faster rate with just a touch. Metal rusts, clothes fray and grow brittle, flesh necrotizes and rots. Difficulty 15 or target’s Perception roll; Effect: Entropics skill dice damage.
• Summon Ghost: caster can summon a recently-dead spirit and communicate with it for a brief time; the effect does not guarantee the spirit will be cooperative. Difficulty 20+modifiers for length of time spent dead & relationship.

Metamorphics
• Disguise: caster can alter his or her features and form within a limited range, allowing impersonation or at least obfuscation of the caster's real identity; even the sound of the caster's voice can be altered somewhat. Difficulty 20.
• Image Masking: caster can blur and obscure his or her features and form, making recognition next to impossible. Extreme successes at casting this spell can even interfere with ranged weapon targeting. Difficulty 10 to hide identity, 20 to confuse targeting (raising difficulty of shot by 1 level)
• Shaping: caster can alter the shape and form of an item touched; the substance of the item can be extended, removed, blended, or shaped. The effect does not create more material, but it can make material dense or light, can draw material from nearby, or can knit broken material back together. Craft skill rolls are necessary to determine how artfully a given item is shaped (how well a hunk of rock is transformed into a statue, for example). Difficulty 15+modifiers for density of material and complexity of the reshaping.
• Weather Influence: caster can shift the current weather patterns toward weather more to his or her liking. The process is relatively gradual, but lingers once the change has been made. Difficulty 25+modifiers for unseasonableness and speed of change.

Procreatics
• Enabler Effect: caster can take any magical effect granted by another magic skill that affects only the caster him or her self, and induce it in another being. The requirements for the other effect remain the same, but this effect must be enacted simultaneously, with the skill penalties involved with that. Difficulty 15+modifier for relationship.
• Spontaneous Generation: caster can create something out of nothing in an space touched. Any substance can be created, but valuable substances, shapes, or complex structures are much more difficult. Food and water created via magic has a slight metallic aftertaste. Difficulty 10+modifier for complexity or value of substance created.

Sensorics
• Animal Empathy: caster can sense and interpret the emotions and crude thoughts of a non-sentient animal, gleaning data from there. Difficulty 10+target’s Perception roll.
• Augmentation: caster can augment the detail-orientation and interconnectivity of his or her own mind, as well as discriminatory judgment and weighted valuation of data. It allows a bonus to a number of skills, such as Bureaucracy, Business, Investigation, Law Enforcement, Search, Streetwise, Tactics, and anything else where interpreting and correlating a good deal of data would be of use; the augmentation is general and any of those skills can be used with the bonus during the duration. After the effect has run, the caster must allow his or her mind to rest for twice the effect duration to avoid mental damage. Difficulty: 15; Effect: skill dice are added to the normal skill roll for approximately 1 minute per point rolled.
• Divination: caster can perceive future events, albeit in a formalistic and possibly symbolic or allegorical way, sometimes through flashes of imagery, tableaux of scenes, or just sudden knowledge. Use of the power is wildly unpredictable, and changes wrought by the possession of this foreknowledge are sometimes effective and sometimes not. Difficulty 20, modified by relationship to the subjects glimpsed and by distance away in the timestream.
• Distance Effect: caster can take any magical effect granted by another magic skill that normally functions upon touch and turn it into a ranged effect. The requirements for the other effect remain the same, but this effect must be enacted simultaneously, with the skill penalties involved with that. Difficulty 15 or target’s resistance (either a defensive skill or Perception, usually).
• Item Identification: caster can determine particular facts about a given item examined; the effect is usually assisted by research materials and time, but the magic grants insights and information not normally available. Difficulty: 20+modifiers for speed and level of detail desired.
• Memory: caster can augment the recall and comprehensive memory detail of his or her own mind, as well as data sifting and specific clarity of mental imagery. It allows a bonus to a number of skills relying on encyclopedic memory, such as Bestiary, Cultures, possibly Forgery, some applications of Gambling, Geography, Languages, some aspects of Performance, most Scholar disciplines, and anything else where eidetic memory and instant indexing of data would be of use; the augmentation is general and any of those skills can be used with the bonus during the duration. After the effect has run, the caster must allow his or her mind to rest for twice the effect duration to avoid mental damage. Difficulty: 15; Effect: skill dice are added to the normal skill roll for approximately 1 minute per point rolled.
• New Senses: caster can temporarily induce new ways of perceiving. Each separate effect allows the caster to either enhance a sense (including increasing sharpness and sensitivity as well as broadening the range of input detected) or to create new senses (darkvision, x-ray vision, sonar, etc.). After the effect has run, the caster must allow his or her mind to rest for twice the effect duration to avoid mental damage. Difficulty: 15; Effect: skill dice are added to the normal skill roll for approximately 1 minute per point rolled.
• Receptive Telepathy: caster can pick up thoughts, emotions, and intentions from a sentient creature; the caster is limited to observing what the target thinks about, and cannot delve any deeper than the target itself does. The connection is mostly beyond language, although interpretation of concepts can differ. Difficulty 15+target’s Perception roll if target is unwilling.

Theologetics
• Affect Weather: caster can alter the natural flow of the wind and water and temperature, and can therefore influence the weather in any manner desired. Difficulty at least 30 to shift the weather a little bit, higher for more severe shifts or more targeted effects (lightning strikes in a particular spot, for example).
• Animal Empathy: caster can call forth divine power to sense and interpret the emotions and crude thoughts of a non-sentient animal, gleaning data from there. Difficulty 10+target’s Perception roll.
• Divination: caster can call forth divine power to perceive future events, albeit in a formalistic and possibly symbolic or allegorical way, sometimes through flashes of imagery, tableaux of scenes, or just sudden knowledge. Use of the power is wildly unpredictable, and changes wrought by the possession of this foreknowledge are sometimes effective and sometimes not. Difficulty 20, modified by relationship to the subjects glimpsed and by distance away in the timestream.
• Divine Favor: caster can beseech selected deities directly for divine aid. Generally, the deity being contacted conducts a conversation with the caster outside of the timestream, and the specifics of the boon and its consequences are worked out therein. Difficulty 25.
• Fortitude: caster can temporarily toughen the flesh and bone to resist physical damage; in effect, this acts as natural armor for as long as it is active. The effect lasts as long as it is maintained, and then a short space of time afterward without impinging on the caster’s concentration. Difficulty 10; Effect: Theologics skill dice are added to Strength rolls to resist damage.
• Healing: caster can call forth divine power to accelerate the natural healing process, particularly when the wound is fresh (first half hour of injury). Healing Salve can be used in conjunction with the spell, but only if the spell is applied first. Difficulty 15; Effect: reduces the severity of the injury by one step when used immediately; doubles healing time otherwise.
• Light: caster can create a divine effect in any item to cause it to shed light just like a gemlight. Difficulty 5; Effect: sheds illumination like a gemlight lantern for 10 minutes per point rolled, or dimmer like a torch for 30 minutes per point rolled.
• Raise Dead: caster can call forth divine power to revivify a corpse; the effect brings a dead body back to Mortally Wounded status. If only part of the body is available, the revivification is more difficult, as the rest of the body must be re-grown. A spirit does not have to return to a revivified body unless it wishes to. Difficulty 30+modifier for length of time spent dead & relationship, +10 if only part of the corpse is available.
• Receptive Telepathy: caster can call forth divine power to pick up thoughts, emotions, and intentions from a sentient creature; the caster is limited to observing what the target thinks about, and cannot delve any deeper than the target itself does. The connection is mostly beyond language, although interpretation of concepts can differ. Difficulty 15+target’s Perception roll if target is unwilling.
• Regeneration: caster can cause lost or irreparably damaged body parts to regenerate in anyone he or she touches. It is a slow and painful process, but the effect starts it and then lets it unfold naturally. Difficulty 25.
• Spiritualism: caster can sense and communicate with spiritual entities of all sorts, including recently deceased persons, local protector spirits, or even deities. The effect merely allows the interaction; it does not provide any compulsion or influence over the spiritual entity. Difficulty 10 to sense, 15 to communicate.
• Spontaneous Generation: caster can call forth divine power to create something out of nothing in an space touched. Any substance can be created, but valuable substances, shapes, or complex structures are much more difficult. Food and water created via magic has a slight metallic aftertaste. Difficulty 10+modifier for complexity or value of substance created.
• Stasis Trance: caster can call forth divine power to induce a state of hibernation in anyone he or she touches. This hibernation slows all bodily processes down, so that the subject consumes very little air and the effect of any mortal wounds is temporarily halted. The trance can be set at the time of induction with a particular condition for breaking; being sufficiently jostled, after a certain amount of time has passed, at the sound of a keyword, or any other reasonable trigger element. Difficulty 15.

Spell List - Double Skill

Biologics + Entropics
• Raise Dead: caster can revivify a corpse; the effect brings a dead body back to Mortally Wounded status. If only part of the body is available, the revivification is more difficult, as the rest of the body must be re-grown. A spirit does not have to return to a revivified body unless it wishes to. Difficulty 30+modifier for length of time spent dead Biologics, 30+modifier for relationship Entropics, +10 if only part of the corpse is available.

Energetics + Procreatics
• Energy Bolt: caster can create a damaging bolt of energy out of nothing. Difficulty 15 Energetics, 15 Procreatics; Effect: Energetics skill roll to hit with the spell, Procreatics skill dice damage.
• Illusion: caster can create images to suit his or her desires, at any distance within sensory range. Illusions are primarily visual, but other senses can be substituted or added. Illusions can never damage anything, but “touch” is one of the senses that can be added; it’s just illusory “force” can’t actually hurt. Difficulty 5 for static obvious illusions, 10 for moving obvious illusions, 15 for static realistic illusions, 20 for moving realistic illusions, +5 per additional sense incorporated.
• Spontaneous Explosion: caster can place an energetic effect on an item, to the effect that it will explode with great violence a certain time after the effect is placed. This is similar to an Empowered weapon spell, except that it requires no continuing concentration, and it only has one variety of damage, which is provided by the Procreatic magic, creating violence out of nothing. Difficulty 15 Energetics, 15 Procreatics; Effect: Energetics skill roll determines maximum number of rounds the explosion can be delayed and/or can influence the area of effect of the explosion, Procreatics skill dice damage for all within the explosive area.
• Telekinesis: caster can lift and manipulate objects without physically touching them. This can be used on any size of object the caster can handle, including the caster’s own self (this is the origin of flight powers). Difficulty 15+modifier for object’s size Energetics, 20 Procreatics (assuming an extended manipulation; momentary “flinging” may be only 15); Effect: object is moved as desired, with any skill-based action using relevant skill or Energetics skill to resolve, whichever is lower; in combat, appropriate skills determine attack accuracy (Energetics skill if nothing else is applicable), Procreatics skill dice determine damage.

Procreatics + Sensorics
• Telepathy: caster can establish a light two-way surface connection with another mind. The connection is mostly beyond language, although interpretation of concepts can differ, and no lies can be transmitted over the telepathic “link.” Connection is not limited to sentient beings, although comprehension differs wildly otherwise. Multiple simultaneous contacts can be made into a “network,” but each link has to be established separately and sequentially. Difficulty 15+target’s relationship Procreatics, 15+target’s Perception roll if target is unwilling Sensorics.

Spell List - Triple Skill

Metamorphics + Procreatics + Sensorics
• Mind Probe: caster can aggressively intrude into another mind and sift through memories and knowledge. The effect requires that the caster have an idea of what bit of knowledge or memory he or she is looking for: random investigation rarely turns up anything of interest, because there is so much extraneous and random data in a sentient mind. If the target successfully resist, or if the data sought is not present, the spell simply turns up nothing. Difficulty 15+target’s relationship Metamorphics, 15+target’s relationship Procreatics, 15+target’s Perception roll if target is unwilling Sensorics.

World Overview - General

The world, known as Earth, for the same reasons we have, has always been a place filled with magic and danger. The primal forces of the universe were more easily accessed here, and spiritual beings of immense power involved themselves directly with the populace. Since time immemorial, the world has known several species of humanoid, with the four most populous being the subterranean Dwarves, the nature-loving Halflings, the dynamic Humans, and the mysterious Elves. The four major races, and the various minor races, largely kept to themselves, fighting and trading and scheming for power and resources, the usual pastimes. Wars were frequent, and as magic was readily available, it was a common weapon.

As much as two thousand years ago (the records are incomplete after all this time), one battling empire summoned hordes of bestial creatures to use as expendable shock troops against its enemy. These creatures were horribly effective, and the opposing side had to summon creatures of their own. With the escalation happening so fast, it was inevitable that some of these beings would escape control, and turn on their summoners. The only winners of that war were the beasts, who swiftly spread into the countryside, and, as is the way of invading species with no natural opposition, multiplied outrageously, spurring further expansion until they roamed the entire known world. This was the Night Plague, and it ravaged the native cultures, springing into full power little over a millennia ago (the lifespan of two ancient dwarves, is all). The elves disappeared utterly, seemingly overnight. The humans put up an excellent fight against the dark-loving monsters, but it soon became a conflict of numbers, and the creatures of the dark had the breeding advantage. The humans were pushed out of their towns and villages, the halflings were forced away from their rolling hills and comfortable hearths, and pretty much the only race of people that didn't have to move much were the dwarves, who frequently ended up housing and protecting the other refugees.

Over time, the native species were able to find traction points, places where they could successfully resist the Night Plague. These places became the city-states that endured into modern times. The remaining natives cooperated as they had never done before, and the blending of the cultures eventually turned out to work quite well. The dwarves, besides their brawn and their innate skill with all things of the earth, brought the stability and cultural continuity provided by their extended lifespans (as long as 500 years); they became the keepers of the culture, the voices of experience that kept the culture from repeating the same old mistakes, although they also tended to reinforce traditions that worked in ancient times, whether or not they were still applicable. The humans, on the other hand, brought vitality, creativity, and, frankly, a swelling population to actually do most of the work; for every suggested change that the cultural elders might deny, the humans could come up with three more, and argue them just as strongly as the first. Natural humans lived as long as 100 years or so, the shortest lifespans of the three major races, but they were also the most adaptable to changing environments and situations. The halflings, on the other hand, brought a balance between the other races, largely through their innate stability (aided by their slightly-longer-than-human lifespans of up to 150 years), reminding all others of the simple, measured pleasures of home and hearth, good food and drink, and a bowl full of pipeweed every now and again; through their uncomplicated worldview, the halflings ensured that neither of the other races went too far afield from the basic good of the community, and they also provided the awareness of the natural world that the other races were prone to ignore (a role once filled by the vanished elves). The minor, less populous intelligent races added individual spice to the entire "melting pot" stew that civilization was becoming.

The story is more or less the same the world over: between the three of them, and whatever other incidental individuals from other species that threw their lot in with them, the original races have managed to make a working collaborative society out of their three differing cultural traditions. The specifics of each society varied with the locality, but almost everywhere, cooperation against the Night Plague became the rule of the day.

World Overview - Regional

There once were kingdoms and empires that dictated the language and standards of whole regions. Though no one city can effectively project its power over another in the modern age, the remnants of those empires linger, having indelibly left their imprints on the maps of the world. That's why, for example, the land that the game starts within is still known as Oresti (Or-ESS-ti), even though that empire has been effectively dead for almost nine centuries. Oresti sits on the northern flattish edge of a large, vaguely oval land mass, the center of which is a harsh, hot, equatorial desert, called, appropriately enough, the Great Desert. The land borders of the Oresti region are all mountainous, but the central areas are green flatlands, with winding rivers and ancient forests, which are now no longer in danger from encroaching civilization; the Night Plague is none too kind to local flora and fauna, but the Plague is mostly nomadic, so the biosphere gradually rebounds. The flatlands eventually reach the ocean, where the terrain falls off into hills again, descending to sea level.

The bulk of Oresti is separated from the Great Desert by the nearly impassable Toran Range, which serves to keep much of the air's moisture on the Oresti side of the range. The northern coast of Oresti is on the Ri'an Sea, which is known for its stormy rages and occasional earthquakes; this tectonic action has coughed up a lot of the rough terrain at the coast, but that terrain helps keep the powerful storms from sweeping off the Ri'an and far inland, as can happen in the places where the coastline is less obstructed. The Torans stretch west and then curve northwest from the Great Desert, all the way to the water, where the Ri'an becomes the deeper Veric Ocean. Even in the modern age, those mountains shield the mysterious region still known as Salafran Chi from curious Orestians, so that area is still the source of much speculation, even after all these centuries.

The region east of the Torans is less imposing and rich in resources, known as the Gladrock Range. The Gladrocks run east and dribble down to barely foothills at the top of the Gulf of Ardani, which cuts most of a circle out of the edge of the continent. Back when Oresti was an empire, the Gladrocks and the Gulf were hotly contested property, with both Oresti and its eastern neighbor, Havlein (HAVE-lee-in), skirmishing for territory. Of course, the Night Plague put an end to that, along with nationalism in general, but there remains a traditional dislike among many former border-dwellers for citizens of the former "other side." This does not stop modern trade, of course, but excursions can be chancier if you're from the wrong country in the wrong tavern.

The only other major location of note is the far-off Red Kingdom, once the largest single territorial entity on the south side of the Great Desert, and subject to only barely less speculation than Salafran Chi. Less is known about the Red Kingdom, but it's also much farther away than Salafran Chi, which is just as strange and culturally obscure.

World Overview - Magic Organizations

Throughout the world, the Night Plague cut off cities from each other, consolidated the native populace, and forced an era of racial cooperation out of necessity. It also forced cultural changes beyond turning almost everyone into an urban dweller: the world's entire attitude toward magic as a whole became much more guarded. If it had not been for the excesses of that long-forgotten magical war, the Night Plague would never have descended. While basic enchantment, which can be achieved by any sufficiently skilled craftsman, is a very common part of daily life, the practitioners of "active" magic are frequently viewed with suspicion and distrust. Therefore, nascent sorcerers (the term used here to represent anyone with magical ability) must either live a life of secrecy, unable to utilize what little untrained power they have, or they must join an organization: the Clerical Orders or the Guild of Wizards. Both have unique ways of safeguarding their members, and both allow their members to practice their magic in a safe manner without fear of reprisal by the community. In fact, they are frequently valued members of the community. But that value and acceptance comes at a price.

The Guild of Wizards survives by making itself useful to the local community, providing defensive and municipal services to justify their free existence. The Guild is mercenary, hiring out their magic for a fee, but they operate with strict professional ethics, including the rule that they must not act to harm the community. These standards are enforced via a layered hierarchy and a lengthy regimen of apprenticeship and testing. One of the ways the Guild identifies itself is through facial tattoos; another is through specially-enchanted medallions. The tattoos are complex and extensive, and each section of tattoo has a specific arcane meaning within the Guild; they may be used for identification to the public, but they have additional personal meaning to each Guild sorcerer. The medallions are specifically tuned to each individual owner, and are used to prove official identity; when the medallion comes in contact with the wearer's flesh, the gems on the medallion glow (casting a feeble illumination, but enough for identification purposes). The tattoos and medallions also allow the Guildmasters to mystically track and identify the sorcerers in their organization, and certain Guild spells can use the marks of the Guild to target members for communication or retribution. The Guild frequently also serves as the local librarians and custodians of history; the wizards already keep libraries of their magical and scientific research, so maintaining additional books is rarely a difficulty. The Guild studies all aspects of magic, with the philosophy that their aims are better served with more information than less. Guild sorcerers are recognized as honored members of the community, but are rarely fully trusted by the populace as a whole.

The world is favored by powerful spiritual beings, some of whom have claimed the roles of gods. The modern mind does not necessarily believe that these beings actually created the universe, but their power is so far beyond that of mortal creatures, it's a moot point. Besides, the mythology is already in place, and the gods, such as they are, seem to enjoy conforming to it. Temples and shrines in this world are not exclusive; each may possibly favor one god or another, but all have representation for the rest, as well. Polytheism and prayer is a purely practical matter in this world, and it also doesn't pay to ignore some gods for others, although everyone naturally has favorites. However, as the temples serve to commemorate all the locally-recognized gods, one can usually take care of all necessary observances at once.

Those who tend the temples and shrines devote themselves to spiritual matters and to the community. These holy people, these clerics, also provide a haven for those blessed with sorcerous abilities. The loose organization of clerics, generally called the Clerical Orders, train fledgling sorcerers to turn their talents to the service of the people and the gods; in fact, although anyone sufficiently devoted can become a cleric, only the magically adept can really rise to leadership. Sorcerers of the Orders have only a loose hierarchy, and are generally much more relaxed than the Guild; this is because they don't have the responsibility of looking after the conduct of their fellow clerics. Instead, as part of the initiation into the secrets of the Clerical Orders, sorcerers must make mystically binding oaths to all the gods; if they violate these oaths, the very least that will happen is that they will be deprived of their magic. Clerics devote themselves to asceticism, philanthropy, education, and promotion of a peaceful existence. They are frequently the teachers of the community, as well as the healers. The Orders do not study or teach all forms of magic, concentrating instead on those that enhance knowledge, perception, or creation and healing. However, there are secrets of asking for divine influence that the Orders keep to themselves, and although they are dedicated to promoting peace, the Orders recognize that peace must sometimes be defended, so they also develop and teach proprietary physical combat techniques designed to help their clerics settle conflicts quickly and with minimal harm. Clerics of the Orders are welcomed into the community and accepted as valuable servants of the greater good; while they are not as mystically flexible as Guild sorcerers, they are much more a trusted part of everyday life.

World Overview - Deities

The gods that the Orders tend to are known by many names; the major deities appear in cultures planetwide, while lesser deities, local spirits, and so forth are much more regional, according to their relative power. The gods of this world also tend to represent both the positive and the negative aspects of whatever realm they are responsible for. The difference between the aspects is frequently designated verbally (stressing the first or last syllable of the name to indicate positivity or negativity is the Oresti tradition) or by context in the course of a prayer or incantation. Unfortunately, during normal civilian observances, a third party cannot tell to which aspect of a god an individual is praying, so identifying evil is not quite so cut and dried as on some worlds. The major players in the worldwide pantheon (using only their Oresti names):

Aarak: God of Justice and Defense, War and Assassination. Aarak was born to be the Warrior God, guarding the two ends to which violence can be directed. In either aspect, he appreciates personal honor and valor, caring little for good or evil as long as the warriors comport themselves well. Aarak is favored by soldiers, naturally, and judges as well, for his attention to Justice, but he welcomes any combatant.

Bontuu: God of Knowledge and Study, Torture and Imprisonment. Bontuu the Student loves knowledge for its own sake, from magical lore to practical knowledge of the world to ways of misleading the ignorant. In his darker aspect, Bontuu the Interrogator oversees prisons and those who inflict pain on the helpless to gain knowledge in a different way. Bontuu is favored by librarians and students of all sorts, and those spell-casters who haven't focused on Zor; prisoners often pray to Bontuu for strength to endure.

Calavan: Goddess of Travelers and Roads, Gambling and Chance. Calavan the Wanderer isn't strongly positive or negative, second only to Nex in her neutrality; she seems to just care more about how things move around, whether people or gambling winnings. She also provokes the most frequent prophetic visions of faraway places and times. Zor may direct the grand sweep of destiny, but Calavan the Whisperer is known for sharing her peeks at the plans. Calavan is favored by travelers and gamblers, or anyone taking big chances.

Lasalliana: Goddess of Music and the Arts, Obsession and Insanity. Lasalliana inspires songs and paintings, guards the creation of all crafts, and generally inspires beauty. However, her beauty is as addictive as it is intoxicating, provoking obsession. As a result, the Beautiful One guards both the creation and disintegration of ideas. Lasallina is the favored god of many bards and artists of all kinds, and those who study mental illness also pay a degree of homage to her darker aspect.

Nex: God of Nature and Weather. Nex is atypical, in that it (Nex is not bound to a single gender) has no strong division of interests, but remains completely neutral. Nex the Green accepts worshippers of all persuasions, but remains impartial. The weather is under Nex's control, but it normally lets the weather run according to cycles. Nex is favored by outdoorsy types and many nature-loving halflings.

Ra'an: Goddess of Fertility and Famine, the Harvest and Disease, and Creation and Death. Ra'an is the Queen of the Gods, the Mother Figure of the mythology, who supposedly birthed the world while Zor built the sky and stars and everything else. Together, they produced the other gods, and when Zor finally created intelligent creatures, it was Ra'an who realized the gods must minister to all aspects of what intelligence would create. The Mother provides the gift of birth, but also the release of death. The other gods have input as to what happens to their loyal followers; those worthy of reward are made into emissaries of the gods, while those worthy of punishment are given to Sharak the Smith. The majority are folded back into existence, being born again to live new lives. Ra'an is favored by farmers and those wishing for families.

Sharak the Smith: God of Smithing and the Earth, Punishment and Natural Disasters. Sharak is the patron of smiths and miners. The other side of Sharak is portrayed as Sharak enraged. In his fury, the Smith God hammers earthquakes, his forge-sparks light wildfires, and his bellows-blasts create tornadoes. The Forgemaster accepts the souls worthy of punishment, and uses them as fuel for his forge. Eventually, once their sins have been painfully burned away over centuries, the purified souls are either crafted into the tools and weapons of the gods, or are made into brilliant stars. Sharak enjoys great popularity among dwarves, and among miners and smiths of all races.

Sule-Manoh: Goddess of Healing and Romance, Jealousy and Revenge. Sule-Manoh, the Love Goddess, embodies both the heights of emotion; her side job as the Healer Goddess does for the body what love does for the soul. However, the flip side of love is obsession, and those dark, ugly emotions also within Sule-Manoh's purview. As the Vengeful Bitch, she supports retribution, both just and unjust, simply for the sake of the payback. Thankfully, her positive aspect is more popular, partly because physical intimacy is considered a sacrament of worship. Sule-Manoh is followed by lovers and doctors of any race.

Tenneh: God of Truth and Language, Secrets and Lies. While his areas of focus suggest Tenneh the Speaker is as balanced as Nex or Calavan, that does not take into account the widely disparate interests his aspects follow. Oaths of truthfulness are always sworn to Honest Tenneh, but grifters and con men also invoke Tenneh's name. Tenneh attracts poets, actors, and lyricists, who observe both aspects of his being. His name is invoked at nearly all legal proceedings, but that does not mean officers of the law openly worship him.

Ueliamon: Goddess of the Rivers and Lakes, Storms and the Sea. Smaller bodies of water, streams and ponds and lakes and rivers, all are under the watch of Ueliamon, the Watery One, but the largest part of her domain, and the most unpredictable, are her oceans and seas. Marine Uelia's negative aspect is brought up more freely than any other god, as no one can avoid noticing how vicious she can be. At the same time, she does grant safe passages and good fortune during travel on the water. Ueliamon favors those who work on the water, and many spouses and families left waiting on the shore pray for the safe return of loved ones.

Zor: God of Magic both light and dark, Order and Destruction, and the Sun and the Night. Per the mythology, Zor is the Originator, Builder of the Universe, King of the Gods. He created Ra'an to give birth to the world while he constructed the heavens and laid down magic, the lifeblood of the universe. Zor first created intelligent creatures, who understood the concepts of good and evil, and thus forced the gods to provide both choices. He oversees the broad sweep of destiny, on a global and an individual scale, while leaving the precise details to the other gods. Zor is the favored god of sorcerers, as well as governmental officers and rulers of all stripes.

The major gods frequently have minor gods and emissaries to assist them in watching over their domains, like lieutenants in charge of territories. Every river or mountain range has a lesser deity to supervise it, and some large mountains or streams have their own small spirit protector. Large towns have a minor patron deity of their own, and old Empires frequently have their own deities, presumed to be the spiritual remnant of some ancient ruler or another. It's not uncommon for families to appeal to the spirits of their important forebears, even though such a spiritual being would have comparatively little influence over the material world. Still, every little bit helps. It's not certain whether certain beings are actually the remnants of real people, or if a more powerful spiritual being simply decided to take on the role, for reasons of their own, but whatever the case, the roles are set and played as flawlessly as possible, given the context.

These less-powerful deities frequently (though not always) simply take the name of their charge, so that the deity in charge of the Toral Range is simply called Toral. But this is not at all common: the deity of the Gladrock Range, for example, prefers to be addressed as Rukatar, for some reason. Obviously, beings that have taken the role of real people, such as ancestors or emperors, maintain their original names, although additional monikers (such as "the Wise" or "the Powerful") might be added, in the Clerical fashion.

It's good to know which minor deities are responsible for what aspect of the world, but it never hurts to give respect to the boss, if all else fails. There is a great deal of overlap, and the hierarchy is generally easy to figure out.

Tarak the Tower City - A View From Outside

When the Senna River winds down from the mountains, meandering northwards toward the Ri'an, it eventually runs westward through the wide Vendall Valley, notable for its brilliantly-colored rock formations, including the large oblong plateau, originally cut in the middle of the valley by the shifting river, which now flows about a hundred yards to the south of the plateau's base. The sides of the Vendall Valley have long since crumbled and smoothed, but the plateau stands strong, in no small part due to the efforts of its residents. The plateau houses the metropolis of Tarak, nicknamed the Tower City for the way the plateau rises nearly half a mile up from the floor of the valley. The rock walls of the plateau have been shaped, smoothed, and toughened by centuries of stone-shapers, to the point where they are smoother than any castle walls, and vastly more impregnable.

Tarak has a top-level surface area of only about 2 square miles, but its internal volume is immense. Within the 50-foot-thick outer perimeter, the rock is riddled with tunnels, shafts, and chambers, all created by the residents of the city to house their various dwellings, businesses, and social locations. The city's wealthiest and most powerful citizens dwell in more-or-less conventional buildings on the top surface, but everyone else makes do within the sheltering bulk of the plateau. It is an unusual place, particularly in that one must think of neighborhoods in three dimensions, and the most obvious internal divisions are vertical. However, it remains a vital and important bastion of civilization.

Tarak is a trading city; just three quarters of a mile upriver is the ancient span of the Yarran's Pass Bridge, built before the Night Plague and maintained since as the only easy crossing within a week's ride. The bridge is a huge edifice, nearly a natural feature in and of itself, built with a high arch to allow moderate-masted sailing vessels to pass underneath, but with enough length to allow a relatively easy grade on the bridge path itself. The Night Plague has never tried to raze the bridge, recognizing both its innate usefulness in their own travels and the sheer effort it would take to disturb the bridge's immense bulk. Therefore, the Yarran's Pass Bridge remains a valuable crossing for those hardy travelers who guide their well-defended caravans over-land. Tarak's proximity to the bridge, and its place on a calm stretch of river (which the city keeps dredged to facilitate easy shipping), means that the city passes a large volume of transitory goods, even in the dangerous modern era. There is more than enough business to keep the heavy stone riverbank docks maintained, and the paved path from the docks to the main trading access to the city, the River Gate, never has a chance to grow weeds.

Tarak the Tower City - Navigating The City

Within the city, the populace is organized both by strata and by proximity to Tarak's five major landmarks. Up at the top are the Sun Levels, which include the plateau's surface and the couple of levels immediately beneath, which can have some direct access to sky. The middle levels, from the Sun Levels down to the valley floor, are the Warrens, and they are the most chaotic tangle of passages and chambers in the whole metropolis. Beneath the level of the outside surface, the lower levels are called the Mines, because in fact, that's what they were, until the upper levels of ore were played out and population pressure encouraged the city to shore up the walls against the groundwater and start expanding the old mine tunnels into residential space. Mining continues at deeper levels, where ore can be found. The landmarks are also points of access, either to the city from outside or to different levels within the city; to some degree, all of the landmarks serve both functions. They are the four Gate Shafts, which are the River Shaft to the south, the Farm Shaft to the west, the Forest Shaft to the north (whose gate is also sometimes called the Shadow Gate), and the Dragon Shaft to the east (whose gate is also sometimes called the Dawn Gate), and the central Spiral.

All of the gates share some similarities. They are all wide and tall, beautifully decorated in their individual themes, built with numerous massive doors and defenses as they stretch almost 100 yards into the plateau before opening up into the city itself. Each gate opens into the floor of a shaft, a massive chimney that stretches from the floor of the valley to the top of the plateau, letting light and air down into the Warrens. For some residents, the only time they see the sky is when they pass through a Gate Shaft. Each Gate Shaft has its own dedicated purpose and individual flavor. The Spiral is located in the dead center of the plateau, and is nothing but a spacious, gently-sloping passageway that descends in a wide circle from the surface of the plateau down through every level of the Warrens, well into the residential levels of the Mines. It serves as the most reliable vertical highway through the city, as the Spiral touches on every level. No matter how the passages, steps, ramps, and caverns in the Warrens twist and wind around themselves, the Spiral stays constant, and the Gate Shafts provide useful touch points. In places, the only navigational signs available indicate which two landmarks are closest, and if one is familiar with Tarak, this is frequently perfectly adequate.

Tarak the Tower City - Daily Life

Inside the city, it can be hard to tell the time of day, so many residents simply operate whenever it is convenient for them. Gemlights (see the Gear section) of various sizes and colors dot the passages, providing most of the illumination against a background of luminescent fungus that seems to be attracted to out-of-the-way corners of the populous areas. Municipal Air Bottles (see the Gear section) are mounted in some of the wider hallways, just to keep the city breathing. The citizens frequently rely on minor enchantments to make life easier, but the magic commonly available doesn't help keep them gainfully occupied. Therefore, Tarak is a constantly active place. It's sometimes said that the Tower City never sleeps; there's always something happening, and it's not always positive.

The economy of the Tower City has adapted to the times. No single person owns any territory in the city; the city itself, as managed by the City Council (hereditary nobles and some elected merchants), owns all the territory, and every residence or business is leased from the city, most often by the remnants of the ancient land-owning nobility, who have maintained their power and prestige by adapting to the times. The nobles then sublease property within Tarak, which is how they maintain their wealth. Development and transfers and so forth are all overseen by the real power of any city, the bureaucracy. It is the City Records Service that makes sure nobody breaks through anyone else's ceiling, that maintains the Gemlights and Air Bottles, that arranges for waste recycling, processing, and disposal, and so forth. The mines bring some mineral resources to the city, with the rest being provided by a robust recycling policy augmented by magic. Similarly, there are the resources of the field and forest available, as hunters, fishers, farmers, and animal tenders venture out during the day, and there are unique foostuffs available from the city's rooftop gardens and fungi caverns that dot the Warrens and Mines. New goods are brought in via trading, and fresh funds are received through minimal tariffs and storage fees on large shipments. Mostly, however, Tarak's money keeps circulating within itself, and with the basics of life accounted for, few are in need.

For those who can't afford their own Water Flasks (see the Gear section), there is some limited water distribution; the city's Water Wheel, a chain of buckets hooked to a large and powerful Ever-Spinning Wheel (see the Gear section), takes water from a seepage well far down in the mines and carries it up to the Reservoir on the surface of the plateau. From there, water mains burrowed in the rock channel the water to major points throughout Tarak. Citizens collect their water as they need to from these points, from their own Water Flasks, or from a local shrine, as the clerics are always happy to provide when they can. Similarly, clerics also provide sustenance to those who need it, who do not have their own Food Bowls (see the Gear section), or who cannot afford fresh goods (produced by gardens, hunters, or herders). Feeding the populace in such a circumstance would be next to impossible if it weren't for the existence of magic.

Waste disposal is an immense problem in any city, and Tarak has the same issues as any. There is a well-developed program to recycle metal bits, clothing, etc., and many citizens make ample use of Disposal Cabinets (see the Gear section) or the like. Others have to do with neighborhood Disposal Centers, which are basically garderobe holes with covers to control the smell. The dump shafts receive a trickle of cleansing water from the water distribution pipes, but it's still pretty awful down at the bottom, where the waste is processed (with heavy use of Forged workers, who are unaffected by the smell) (for a description of the Forged, see the Gear section) and used to grow fungi. After some early epidemics, the city long ago found it useful to use the waste to grow a small, inedible but disease-resistant type of fungi, a frequent ingredient in Healing Salves (see the Gear section) and antiseptic preparations, and then distribute that harvested growth as fertilizer for underground food crops. This has made the whole process immeasurably safer, and has made fungi farming in the neighborhoods much less smelly.

Like all cities in the known world, Tarak makes good use of its magic-users. The Guild of Wizards Chapterhouse is on the Sun Levels, but the Guild keeps offices in both the River Shaft and the Dragon Shaft. The chapterhouse holds Tarak's major library (on both magical and mundane subjects, which is open to the public for in-house reading), as well as dormitory-like quarters for sorcerers who cannot afford their own. The Clerical Orders also maintain the Great Temple of Tarak on the Sun Levels, but smaller shrines are dotted all throughout the Tower City. Shrines provide free food and water, as mentioned above, and they also serve as news outlets and mail service; acolytes based in different shrines frequently visit neighboring shrines several times a day, bringing news and any messages dropped off at the home shrine that are destined for a particular direction. Thus news and correspondence percolates gradually to wherever it is supposed to go.

People work at all sorts of duties in Tarak. There are miners and animal tenders and hunters and farmers, and the full range of service people that provide the tools and necessities of those people, as well as tend to the off-duty needs of the everyday workers, and there are also traders and merchants and those who work the docks when there are ships in port, and there are specialized professions, like entertainers and stone shapers and bureaucrats. Then there are nobles, and governmental employees, and the City Guard, and so on. The Tower City is a full metropolis, given the nature of the global society, and as a major trading hub, one can find or do almost anything there.

Tarak the Tower City - Landmarks In Detail

Gate Shafts: The various Gate Shafts each have a distinct flavor and personality:

The River Shaft is generally a tourist and trading area. The flashiest inns and gambling houses are there, and the area of the Mines beneath the Shaft is devoted to warehousing goods, which are off-loaded from ships or caravan wagons outside the Gate and are then carried to storage. Local shipbuilders and labor-for-hire offices are also located here, to better service the traveling merchants and tradespeople who visit the city. In general, the higher up the shaft, the more refined and expensive the services available, but the River Shaft tends to be the cosmopolitan, multi-cultural, traveler's area. The perimeter of the shaft floor has many stalls and kiosks catering to tourists and visitors, as well as temporary places where visitors can set up shop while they are in town--for a fee, of course.

The Forest Shaft, while comparatively close to the River Shaft physically, is miles away in flavor. This is where the locals come to shop, for the freshest foods and sturdy, practical goods, and the bazaar on the shaft floor is the site of the toughest haggling in the whole city, as opposed to the tourist servicing that goes on in the River Shaft. The establishments higher up are more likely to be residences than any other shaft; this is the second most expensive neighborhood to reside in, with the most expensive being the Sun Levels themselves. The Forest Gate is also called the Shadow Gate because it faces north, and given that Tarak is north of the equator, that means the sun never shines into the Gate itself.

The Farm Shaft is dedicated to exactly what it sounds like: the livestock of the city is housed up this shaft, and yes, the smell is notable and persistent, which explains the low rents on residences in that area, and also why one of the widely-separated end shafts was chosen for this purpose. Butchering of livestock is done around here, but the finished meats are generally sold in the Forest Shaft, as only the most dedicated customers will brave the environment to purchase their fresh meat. This is also where the city's stables are located, along with wagon storage, so this is a frequent departure point for overland expeditions.

The Dragon Shaft houses both recreational establishments (the floor of the Dragon Shaft houses the only real public park the Warrens have, with shade-loving plants in planters and a variety of benches and kid's play equipment) and highly professional services, such as the Guild of Wizards, attorneys, bankers, and so forth. Moneychanging and the trading of shares in business ventures and bulk goods goes on here, the local equivalent of a stock market. Businesses in the Shafts observe the normal diurnal cycle, as they have direct access to the sky; as has been stated, businesses elsewhere in the Warrens and Mines frequently don't bother to, as long as there are customers to be served. The Dragon Gate is also called the Dawn Gate because the rising sun has an almost unobstructed shot down the length of the gate, casting early-morning sunlight on the back wall of the Dragon Shaft. This is not the case with the Farm Gate, as there is a conveniently-placed mountain that blocks the sun before its setting rays reach even half-way down the tunnel.

The Spiral: The Spiral is not only the central vertical thoroughfare, it also houses several important city services. The central mass that the Spiral encircles is largely reserved for City Records Service offices and residences; the bureaucracy needs a good place to operate out of, and the Spiral provides an adequate central location. Along one side of the Spiral, the city's Water Wheel slowly spins, as described above, and on the opposite side, one finds the city's Elevator. Reaching just into the Sun levels, and dipping down into the top few levels of the Mines, the Elevator consists of a set of gigantic metal chains with suspended platforms that slowly rise all the way up one side of the shaft, then move to the other side and slowly descend, all powered by Ever-Turning Wheels. Anyone is able to hop onto one of the platforms and ride to the point nearest their desired level, but the travel is so slow, it's usually faster to walk. The Elevator is most frequently used by those moving heavy cargoes, and many times the porters responsible for those cargoes (either as movers or directing crews of Forged workers) sleep during the trip. Within Tarak, "riding the Elevator" has become slang shorthand for taking a catnap.

Council Building and Park: While only the rich and/or powerful actually live on the Sun Levels, all citizens are able to travel there. In fact, the area around the Spiral between the tops of the River and Forest Shafts is a dedicated park, known only as the Park, with carefully tended trees and other foliage, and the gentle murmur of the water from the Water Wheel burbling down its aqueduct to the Reservoir off to the west. Many citizens visit whenever they can, and among the wealthy, residences with a view of the Park are in high demand. The Park is never too crowded, but it is always at least marginally populated, night and day, and this tends to make it quite safe; this also makes it a popular meeting spot, particularly for young lovers. The area immediately above the bulk of the Sprial, above the City Records Service offices, is the Council Building. The Council Building houses both the meeting chambers of the Council (5 members of noble blood and 4 wealthy merchants, 1 of each group elected annually by the populace of the city) and the courtrooms, where 9 elder clerics, the Justices, who have taken oaths to encourage fairness and impartiality for the rest of their lives, adjudicate criminal and civil cases. Tarak's laws are not complex, and the clerics are more concerned with justice and fairness than the letter of the law, anyway, so trials are speedy. The Tower City's judges prefer mystic punishments: a spell can enforce house arrest with much more efficiency than it takes to build a jail and house the criminal there. Instead of execution (reserved for only the most heinous crimes), severe crimes warrant being confined to a Time Chamber (see the Gear section) for several years. Emerging cut off from previous contacts and influences, many criminals are forced to reform simply to survive and cope. The elder clerics find this more humane than execution; the opinions of the criminals so sentenced vary quite a bit. The 9 members of the City Council (in order of first nobility, then seniority) are Lord Iblis Nosenfrene, Lady Velena Toris-Greenson, Lord Winson Steelstriker, Lord Yis Ballynonfrenis, Lady Emma Sona Ri'allan, merchant Sinni Helmcrafter, merchant Maxil Proudfoot, merchant Jon Hemmil, and merchant Prentis Greenwood. The 9 Justices are Toril the Compassionate, Gina the Fair, Powta the Insightful, Zenos the Just, Kiritik the Knowing, Semiton the Lawful, Wosin the Stern, Liam the Valorous, and Erids the Wise.

Guild of Wizards Chapterhouse and Library: As in many cities, the local Guild of Wizards headquarters serves as a metropolitan library. Located just a short walk west of the Park, the Guild's tall, monolithic building looks foreboding and severe on the outside, but inside the public areas have been remodeled as a much warmer, friendlier environment. The library's books are kept in special enchanted flame-proof vaults, and any citizen can request any book cleared for public perusal from the librarian on duty, then take it to the public reading rooms; books are not allowed to be taken away from the library, but in-house access is free. Naturally, full wizards have unrestricted access to all books in the Guild library, including the tomes on magic and research that are kept from public view. The floors above the public level are dedicated to training, magical study, and executive residences; Guildmaster Orino even has a skylight in her suite. The two levels below the library, still technically the Sun Levels, are dedicated to dormitory cubicles, which are small and Spartan, but safe and quiet. Not all the cubicles are occupied, as there aren't actually so many younger wizards in the city. However, all unoccupied cubicles are kept ready and available for visiting wizards and authorized guests.

Great Temple of Tarak and smaller Shrines: To the east of the Park is the airy, open-cornered Temple, austerely beautiful in a style we would call Grecian. The main space of the temple is a large open rectangle, dotted with massive columns and tiled with creamy marble. Niches dot the sides, with two large alcoves at each end and numerous smaller ones on the sides. The end spaces are dedicated to Zor and Ra'an, the King and Queen of the gods, and the other major gods each have a niche of their own. The minor gods who operate in Oresti are represented, and local powerful spirits also have places, each being's area corresponding to their relative power. There are no upper floors to the temple, just a sturdy roof; the two levels below are dedicated to medical treatment spaces, a communal eating area, and dormitory cubicles, which are small and Spartan, but safe and quiet. All clerics live equally; even the city's High Priest, Aardock the Gentle, lives in a cubicle identical to that of the lowliest initiate. There are numerous shrines dotted all throughout the Warrens and Mines, but the residents of the Sun Levels generally visit the Great Temple when they feel spiritual. The shrines vary with the flavor of each neighborhood; every being acknowledged in the Great Temple has some representation in each shrine, even if it's just an icon hung on the wall, but different shrines have more or less space devoted to different deities. In a shrine, the main open space serves as the worship area, the medical treatment area, the free "soup kitchen" area, and pretty much any other necessary purpose. There is always a store room, a private office for the clerics, and at least 2 cubicles, pretty much identical to those below the Great Temple. Most people check in at their local shrine every couple of days, to stay in good graces with the gods, to collect any messages that might have come for them, and to hear any important news.

Tarak the Tower City - Other Features

The City Guard: The Guard is a combination police force and defensive army, with occasional civil disaster and firefighting duties thrown in. It employs not only the best warriors it can get among the humans, dwarves, and halflings, but also recruits useful species who can live in Tarak, such as giant eagles and giant bats (at least the sentient breeds). The Guard is generally a positive force in the city, and while it is not totally free of vice, neither is it distrusted by the populace in general. The organization adheres to strict codes of conduct while on the job, and works hard to ensure that its members don't succumb to burnout or corruption. While some citizens are treated more equally than others, as with any stratified society, it's an important point that no citizen is allowed to be mistreated; therefore, there are always certain minimum standards of conduct that the Guard is expected to maintain. The Guard keeps barracks and small dormitory quarters in the Sun Levels, but all Guard residences are near Quick-Deployment Poles (QDPs), which are basically firehouse-style sliding poles that allow Guards to come out of their barracks in an emergency and zip down to the appropriate level within the Tower City.

All Guards get training in combat, in Law Enforcement, Investigation, and in Siege Engine Operation; regular duty rotations keep the various skills fresh. There are distinctions within the service: the regular Guard is seen everywhere in Tarak, the trademark bright blue of their uniforms tending to evoke reassurance in most of the populace. However, the bright red uniforms of the elite Council Guard tend to make everyone nervous. They answer only to the Council and the city judges. With respect to the City Guard as a whole, the Council Guard acts as Internal Affairs, or as the FBI in investigative matters, or as Special Forces in military matters. They are popularly considered dangerous and fanatically incorruptible, and they know this, and use it when necessary. Guards don't apply to be Council Guards; the Council Guards select who they want to join when they have an opening. The current High Captain of the Guard is Sir Donal Aardensen, and his Lieutenants Major, Aenna Stonebiter, Texis Norram, and Sallis Tor Mantas, are directly responsible for the morning, evening, and night shifts, respectively. Derrison Maywell is the current Chief Defensive Tactician, and has been for at the past 50 years; nobody knows more about the Tower City's various defenses than this old halfling, but he's trying to train several assistants to eventually take his place.

The Shadowguild: Criminal activities are an unavoidable aspect of civilization. Some would even argue that they play a necessary role as some sort of "safety valve" for the pressures of society. Whatever the case, crime can be especially troublesome in cramped and confined quarters, such as within Tarak. The Guard exists to help moderate crimes, but ambitious criminals could do a lot of damage before the Guard would be able to stop them, and the resulting crack-down would be damaging to everyone else's business. Centuries ago, a loose organization of criminals, eventually dubbed the Shadowguild, evolved as a self-regulating criminal syndicate. The members of the Shadowguild still operate outside of the law for personal profit without regard for most ethics or morals, but they are careful to keep their activities quiet, and they both guard against the excesses of fellow Tarak criminals and against intrusion by outsiders trying to operate in Tarak without making the appropriate contacts, first. The Shadowguild has no formal hierarchy, and there is no one individual "in command" in every situation; authority is fluid, but the Guildmembers are used to the apparent chaos, and believe it helps obscure their activities with regard to the City Guard. If one is looking for something not strictly moral or legal, anyone who can provide it is undoubtedly connected to the Shadowguild.

Dragon Gate Park: This is merely a little spot of actual greenery within the Warrens, with planters full of various shrubs and flowers and a short cover of grass. All vegetation is carefully selected to survive with only limited light; Gemlights can only do so much, and the dawn light and the overhead illumination help, but if the plants don't enjoy the shade, they won't thrive. What space isn't occupied by plants or walkways is covered with sand and has children's playground equipment installed upon it. The cultivated plants, plus the noise of the shaft and the din of excited children makes for great audio cover, and therefore this location is popular for clandestine meetings where secret business must be discussed, but the participants don't trust each other enough to meet privately.

The Blue Boggan: This is an infamous tavern and gambling house, located not far off the River Shaft, a few stories up from the shaft floor. Its lewd signage of a small faerie creature in typical oversexed male distress is a welcome sight to travelers in the know. Inside, one can find the best music, the prettiest working girls, and the least-obviously-rigged games, and just about anything can be bought under the table, if you talk to the right bartender. There are private rooms available in back for business, dining, or dalliance, the food is excellent, and the drinks are barely watered down at all. It's costly, of course, but many find the quality worth the price. The short and misshapen half-troll owner, Jonek "Truenose" Trallk, keeps a bloodshot eye out for the City Guard; his rarely-wrong sense for deception is what earned him his nickname, for "sniffing out" potential spies. Trallk is definitely a mover within the Shadowguild, but as usual, nothing can be reliably pinned on him. On the Guard's part, they are constantly trying to get hard evidence on Trallk for fencing stolen goods and trading in violence-for-hire and the addictive hallucinogen thorndust, which is top of Tarak's very short list of substances banned for the public good. Trallk's wealth and connections, and the tavern's popularity, keep the Guard from closing the place down entirely, but they keep waiting for the half-troll to make a mistake. Given his track record for burying the evidence (sometimes literally), they may be waiting a long time. Jenna Mugmaker generally manages the tavern on Trallk's behalf, and the looming half-ork Rann Sor Fillix frequently operates as Trallk's right-hand man.

Tarak the Tower City - Gear

Normal mundane equipment for the era and setting is readily accessible. Rough weapon damage guidelines: tiny weapons (daggers, saps): Strength (abbreviated STR)+1 or +2. Small weapons (fighting knives, light clubs, arrows): STR+1D. Larger weapons (swords, axes, battle clubs): STR+1D+1 or +2. Huge weapons (massive battle axes, polearms): STR+2D. Armor takes a variety of forms, but follows the same rules: every pip of armor adds to the Resistance roll against physical damage, but reduces any and all Dexterity skills by one pip. Specially constructed and/or magical armor may have the Dexterity penalty modified.

What's really interesting: enchanted items. Lots of items are just basic everyday goods, created by any enchanter worth the name. Weapons and armor can be enchanted with additions to their statistics (from +1 to +1D+2), and there is also enchantment available in weapons, armor, jewelry, clothing, and other tools that can provide skill bonuses in just about any skill (from +1 to +1D+2). It's most common for enchanted weapons to have the same bonuses to accuracy and damage. Many enchanted items have trigger words, commonly nonsense words that are unlikely to be accidentally stated; there is also frequently a necessary element of conscious intent to trigger an item, so accidents are rare, depending on the item.

Air Bottles: These are always full of breathable air; even better, they tend to absorb unbreathable or poisonous air over time, converting it usefully. Miners often carry air bottles and face masks fashioned of horn or metal. Places with little natural circulation can keep from going stale with a decent-sized air bottle. And there has been some success with building submersible suits, largely through the ample use of air bottles.

Cold Stones: These are flat chips of slate, often kept in a stone box or envelope, which can go from almost uncomfortably cool to the touch to an ice-cold heat vacuum and back again at a command. Frequently used to preserve food, manage comfort in smithies, guard against heat stroke, etc.

Communication Cups: These resemble nothing so much as small cans connected by string, except without the string. The enchantment that connects them transmits audio projected into one through to be heard in the other; range is immense, though the sound becomes distorted with distance. Depending on the construction and additional enchantment, a caller desiring to attract attention might cause a bell to ring, or flag wave, or gemstones flash with light. There has been some success with mounting these cups in pairs on a hand-set, one for speaking and one for listening. Each pair is connected only to each other; research on a switching procedure (besides holding similar communicators to each other) is ongoing.

Disposal Cabinets or Disposal Buckets: These are enclosed containers which, when sealed, make their contents vanish completely, useful for the disposal of waste. Only the enchanters know whether the waste is destroyed or merely transported elsewhere; different enchanting methods may evoke different processes. The enchantment will not work on containers large enough for a full person.

Ever-Spinning Wheels: These are disks on an axis that continue to turn without outside input. The slower the turning speed, and/or the larger the disk, the more torque can be applied. Disks can be made smooth or edged, or with gears, or spokes, or propeller blades, or serrated, or what have you. Uses include moving toys, air-moving fans, motive power for ground and water vehicles, crude gyroscopes, powered saws and drills, water wheels, elevators, and so forth. The wheels eventually burn out, but it takes years, and there are warning signs that a disk is failing.

Fire Stones: These are flat granite pebbles, often kept in a stone box or envelope, which can flare from almost uncomfortably warm to the touch to blazing coal and back again at a command. Frequently used to start campfires, in foundry hearths, winter heaters, etc.

Food Bowls: These are often constructed to work with a trigger, such as a word or an action (tapping the center 3 times with a spoon, for example); the bowl then fills with a predetermined substance, commonly a thick, nutritious, flavorless gruel (which, like all magic-created food, has a slight metallic aftertaste). Some bowls are also limited in the number of uses per day, and are correspondingly cheaper to produce or purchase.

Gemlights: These are common quartz, cut and enchanted to glow brightly. Cheap gemlights go out after a few years, but good-quality ones are more permanent. Gemlights can be mounted in place or carried, perhaps with a cover so the light can be concealed when not needed; they are cool to the touch and can be obtained in a number of colors. Gemlights are particularly common in underground dwellings, as they also provide some of the healthy benefits of sunlight as a side-effect.

Healer's Salve: This is a pungent unguent, white and waxy and with an overpowering chemical smell, produced in small jars. This is healing magic given form; it cannot regrow limbs or the like, but it can ease pain, close cuts, knit bones, and so forth. The severity of the wound generally determines how much salve is required, but some injuries are tricky. Each time a jar of Healer's Salve is used, there is a chance it will be used up entirely. It also does its best work while the subject is still in shock from any major injury; in the first half-hour, in other words.

Legless Scaffolds: This is basically just a work platform with a permanent Levitation spell effect worked into it. The scaffold cannot move itself laterally, as controlling that kind of motion is difficult to arrange in a static enchantment, but simple controls can lift or lower the platform, floating any riders or cargo vertically to almost any height. Once activated, the effect keeps the scaffold strongly rooted to the location where it is initially placed, but sufficiently powerful winds or other physical force can shift the platform's location. This device is usually used for reaching ceilings, upper walls, or high shelves, including stacking cargo in warehouses.

Load Plates: These are large feather-light plates frequently made of metal; they counteract weight placed upon them, proportional to the size of the plate. They are frequently bolted to the bottoms of vehicles to make them lighter and easier to manage. Some more expensive forms of Load Plate have a small Levitation spell effect placed on them so they stay a few inches off the ground, allowing them to be easily towed or pushed without the need for wheels or runners; cargo movers frequently bring such floating Load Pallets to help move heavy crates or equipment. The Levitation enchantment on the Load Pallets can't handle much speed, so they're not too useful for most vehicular applications.

Personal-Access Relative Dimensionality In Space (PARDIS) Containers: These are luggage or storage items whose interior space has been mystically enlarged, so that it is larger inside than outside. This is an extremely expensive process, but the truly rich can have a mansion's worth of space contained within a single closet. Windows and such are rarely employed, as the stretching of internal space does weird, disturbing things to perspective, but sometimes translucent panels allow light to shine through; outside light seems reddish to those inside a PARDIS space, while light generated inside seems bluish to those on the exterior. Still, finding enough space for even a single person to fit is exceedingly rare, due to the expense. It is much more common to find PARDIS pouches or PARDIS backpacks, where the smaller expansion in volume is easier to afford.

Specialty Tree: This is a miniature tree in a pot with its own magical light and water source; set to grow a fruit at an accelerated pace, then slow down when it's ripe to allow for fresh storage before falling off the tree by itself.. Larger, more expensive versions can produce several fruits a day. This, like all magic-influenced food, has a very slight metallic aftertaste, but that is frequently hidden by the flavor of the fruit.

Traveling Jewelry: These are enchanted to provide benefits to travelers, including replenishing the body's water and sustenance, regulating temperature, and easing the need for sleep to a mere couple of hours a night. Such jewelry takes several days to gradually attune itself to the wearer, but can be worn for extended periods without ill effect. Many who can afford to purchase such jewelry never take it off.

Water Flasks: These are always full of fresh water; the flow is limited only by the aperture of the flask. Communities have been founded around a large upended water flask. Unconfirmed rumors say some enchanters have perfected formulas that produce alcohol instead of water.

Weatherproofing: Conventional items can be slightly enhanced to protect against dirt, the elements, oxidization, and regular wear-and-tear. It helps a traveler when his or her boots and cloak gradually shed mud and dust without needing particular cleaning. Most enchanted items are weatherproofed as a matter of course, as it is a negligible addition to more powerful enchantments.

Larger and more complex items are also available, if the price is right. In addition to the usual mounts, wagons, and the like, enchantment provides many wonders, frequently just building on the small, basic enchantments already described:

Artificial Ruhk (or Roc): a huge Load Plate and an Ever-Spinning Wheel attached to a gear system allows the construction of a winged vessel that flaps to keep itself aloft. The wings can be angled to provide forward thrust and the gearage can also be shifted to create more or less lift for changing altitude. These are not used very frequently, as they are neither very fast nor very maneuverable, and flying predators find them easy targets, particularly in the mountains. However, some rich individuals keep one around, largely for novelty purposes.

Forged: These are artificial people (golems or automata or homunculi, depending on how they are constructed) with varying degrees of intelligence. They are somewhat uncommon but well-known in the world at large (more common in larger cities), created as guards and workers, and given life and some semblance of sentience through magic. Only sorcerous enchanters can create them, with the skill of the enchanter determining the complexity of the finished Forged, and some few are Legacy Forged, meaning they have normal mental attributes equivalent to any sentient creature, and are capable of making independent decisions. At the opposite end of the scale are the cheap Forged made from quickly-fashioned cast-metal parts, readily identifiable by their crude bolts. Among the less wealthy, who come into more frequent contact with this variety of Forged, they are frequently nicknamed "Bolts," which often gets elided into "bot" when combined with other words, creating such titles as sewer-bot or farmer-bot or porter-bot or bouncer-bot; the cheap ones are normally much less sophisticated in their enchantment, as well as their construction, and are frequently used in positions where intellect or decision-making is not an issue.

Forged do not breathe or sleep, and need no sustenance of any sort. They are also immune to the extremes of weather, and the 'bots have no sense of fear, as they have no real sense of self, or self-preservation. Legacy Forged learn skills just as anyone else does, but must improve their more basic capabilities with modifications (in game terms, the process of increasing an Attribute is the same, but while a flesh character's XP expenditure might represent working out or deep study, a Forged character's XP expenditure represents finding the necessary design and materials and locating an enchanter who can do the job, etc. Same effect, same expenditure, different in-game explanations). Forged can get injured, in that the damage they suffer impairs their function, but they do not heal by themselves, they must be repaired, preferably by another party, though not always by a sorcerer. Also, they do not die, they simply stop working, and can be repaired "back to life" unless they are so completely broken up as to make repair impossible. Some Forged can be built or modified to have equipment built into their bodies, and Legacy Forged thus modified have instinctive control over such equipment. Not even Legacy Forged have demonstrated sorcerous abilities, but some have become craft enchanters, and some make excellent lay-clerics for the Orders (particularly if they become outfitted with appropriate magic items as equipment).

Horseless Carriage: a literal carriage with a simple steering mechanism to turn the front wheel assembly and a geared shifting lever that controls how a powerful Ever-Spinning Wheel interacts with the rear wheels, providing motive force. A large Load Plate keeps the carriage from getting too heavy to maneuver. Truly expensive models have a PARDIS interior, for traveling in luxury.

Jump Rings: a pair of metal rings that act as a teleportation gate. Rings can be constructed from an inch to a dozen feet in diameter, and depending on the enchantment and arrangement, one or both sides of the ring can be utilized, or they can be keyed into still other rings. These are difficult to construct and enchant, as teleportation is always a tricky proposition. They are immensely useful when they are found, however, as they have no maximum range, and they make travel through the dangerous wilderness unnecessary. The passage through a ring is often identifiable because there is often a stretch of space in the magical distance between the two portals, seemingly made of the same substance as the rings, while the rings themselves may be quit thin. One-sided rings appear to be discs, solid on one side but with a "hole" to somewhere else on the other. Some rings are built with mystical controls, or with doors or other forms of barrier blocking access; one-sided rings can be fairly effectively sealed by placing them face-down on a flat surface and putting a weight on top, as those on the other side will have very little means by which to get leverage to flip the disc over (it's possible, but difficult).

Time Chamber: a closet or storage container, which can be a PARDIS enclosure but does not have to be, which freezes or greatly slows the passage of time for objects stored within whenever the door of the contained space is closed. Sometimes used to preserve perishables, or to extend lifespans, or to punish criminals without building large prison complexes, these mystic items are difficult to produce, as time is always tricky to work with. Still, they are popular among some of the rich, who may spend time in a larger Chamber to extend their lives, skipping objective days or weeks in no subjective time at all. Also, those who dislike travel may have their Time Chamber shipped to the destination, arriving instantly, from their own perspective.

Combat Details

One of the biggest issues of any RPG is combat. The character creation portion of the rulebook takes up a chunk, description of the game world takes up a chunk, gear is a few pages, and then: combat!

Combat in the d6 system is pretty simple. There's attack and defense, and they're abstracted enough to be controlled by simple die rolls. Attack skills are countered by defense skills in a fairly logical counterparting, i.e. Brawling Parry defends against Brawling attacks, Melee Parry defends against Melee attacks, and Dodge defends against any sort of ranged attack. It's usually convenient to presume one roll is one attack (a shot, a punch, a stab), but you can also play it as more dramatic (a cinematic clashing of fencing blades, summed up in just a couple of die rolls). It depends on what kind of time frame you're talking about, and what suits the needs of the story at the time.

Resolution is the same as anything else in the system. Attacker rolls the attack skill (say, Brawling) and defender can either rely on the difficulty as defense (not a good idea in this case, as a Brawling attack's difficulty is Very Easy, i.e. probably 5) or can roll a defensive skill (in this example, Brawling Parry). If the defender rolls poorly, the base difficulty takes over; in other words, the attack will always be at LEAST the base difficulty, and a roll might push it higher. Attacker rolls the dice and compares the total to either the difficulty or the defender's roll (whichever the defender chose) to see if the attack was successful (Punch in the nose!).

Difficulties are usually based on weapon complexity for melee weapons (fists are Very Easy, knives are usually no more difficult than Easy, i.e. about a 10, swords and larger weapons are either Easy or Moderate, i.e. 10 or 15, depending on how simple they are to use, etc.), or range (point blank is Very Easy, short range is Easy, medium range is Moderate, long range is
Difficult, i.e. 20, and anything more extreme is Heroic, i.e. 30+). Other modifiers can make things more or less difficult; the GM is the judge of that, which is as it should be.

There are a few variations which should be mentioned:
  • * There are two types of defense: combat and full. Combat is the normal type; it can substitute for the difficulty. Full is different; it means the defender is doing nothing but avoiding damage. In that case, the roll ADDS to the standard difficulty, making it all the more effective. A full defense can also involve some movement, so you can traverse some distance while doing so; this tends to be more relevant in table-top play, what with maps and the like, but it can be effective here, as well.
    * A full Dodge will defend against any attack, not just ranged. And it kind of -requires- some room to move, actually.
    * At any time during a conflict, a person can change their action to a defensive action. Again, this is usually more relevant in table-top play, but it can be used here as well with some adjustments. In other words, they abort whatever play they originally had and just defend themselves. You can only abort to a combat defense; you have to declare a full defense ahead of time.
    * A person can parry a Brawling attack with a Melee Weapon, but most folks can't parry a Melee attack with Brawling Parry, i.e. their bare hands. If you meet someone who can, be very very concerned.[/list:u]

Okay, so your attack is successful. Now what?

Well, now we figure out damage. Damage is also an opposed roll: the damage roll (usually the attacker's Strength plus additional dice or pips for the weapon, or a straight weapon damage) versus the resistance roll (usually the defender's Strength plus additional dice or pips for any armor they happen to have). The rolls are made and compared: if the resistance roll is higher, yeah, the target got hit but shrugs off any possible damage. If the damage roll is higher, there's a table that can give the result. One shot can kill, if the damage roll far overwhelms the resistance roll.

Armor can be useful, but it's a trade-off; each pip of regular armor takes away a pip of Dexterity skills, so if you have +1D worth of armor, all your Dexterity skills are -1D. You can avoid this with special armor (high tech or enchanted) or if you have natural armor of some sort (in which case the modifier is built in), but by and large, armor restricts. Therefore, very many people in a d6 game just go without.

Damage inflicted can be either stun or lethal. Brawling damage is stun by default, weapon damage is lethal by default, and spell damage depends on the spell. In the case of brawling and weapons, it's possible to change the damage type (throw a killing punch, or swing with the flat of the blade), but the attack roll is at a -1D penalty if you try and do that.

Lethal damage results range from a stunned result (-1D to all active rolls the rest of this round and all of the next round; damage resistance rolls are not affected), a wounded result (-1D to all active rolls until healed), a twice wounded result (as wounded, but -2D), an incapacitated result (conscious but unable to do anything much; great effort might accomplish something, but might damage you further), a mortally wounded result (usually unconscious and bleeding out; limited time left to be stabilized before you die), or killed outright.

Stun damage is simpler: various tiers of stun results leading up to straight unconsciousness. Having more dice worth of stun damage than you have Dexterity makes you basically paralyzed until some of the damage wears off; having more dice worth of stun damage than you have Stamina (a Strength skill) or Willpower (a Knowledge skill) (whichever is higher) knocks you out.

That's it in a nutshell. Specific variations can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, so it's up to the GM to adjudicate any variations. And that's fine, because the GM has all the resource material on hand.

Example of Play

Let's visit the scene of our hero, Dizzik, canoodling with a new ladyfriend on one of the balcony walkways ringing the River Shaft, enjoying each other's company as they idly watch some workers start to use a winch and pulley system to lift a harpsichord from the Shaft floor to one of the swanky lounges above, near the Sun Levels. Sure, they could have carted it around in the tunnels, probably gone all the way to the Spiral and then all the way back to the lounge, but the workers are paid by the hour, and this is much faster and not really more complex. They didn't spring for a Legless Scaffold or the like, but they could afford a winch motor powered by an Ever-Spinning Wheel.

Suddenly, a gruff voice barks the woman's name from above; they look up to see a burly man in outdoorsy clothes glaring down on them. He fixes Dizzik with a baleful eye, then charges toward the nearby staircase that leads to their level.

"My husband!" the woman breathes.

"Your husband?!?!" Dizzik repeats, alarmed. He gives her a deep kiss, then gazes into her eyes. "It's... just not working out," he says as he slips out of her arms.

Dizzik races for a tunnel, but since he delayed for goodbyes, the angry husband is right close. Dizzik needs to make a Running check to see if he makes an escape. Dizzik has no specific training in Running, so he defaults to his Dexterity, which is 3D+1. The roll comes out 1, 3, 1. Since the first die is the Wild Die, the Wild Die rolled a 1, which the GM chooses as a complication. The rest of the roll is 3+1 = 4, +1 pip = 5. Which... is not enough to outrace the husband. Plus, the complication is that as he rounds toward the tunnel, Dizzik sees the corridor full of a group of oncoming nuns. Technically it's the monthly social outing of the Order of Ra'an's Mercy, a sorority of Clerical healers, but the effect is the same.

Dizzik decides that pushing through the nuns is just a bit too much for him today; easier to go back the other way and get past the husband. So he turns and runs at the guy. The larger man tries to snatch Dizzik into a bear hug (a Brawling attack), but all Dizzik wants to do is get past him to the other side (which he decides is a full Dodge move, and the GM agrees).

Husband's Strength is 3D, and his Brawling is 4D (he's a farmer, but he gets in a lot of fights). Dizzik's Dodge is 5D; he's usually getting into scrapes, so he's had to build it up. Husband rolls a 1, 2, 1, 4. 1 on the Wild Die, and this time for simplicity (and because he can't think of an appropriate complication), the GM considers it a penalty, which means the Wild Die and the highest die (the 4) are removed. The total Brawling roll is therefore 2+1 = 3. Dizzik had a full dodge, which means the Dodge roll is added to the base difficulty of 5. The minimum he could roll would be 3 (if he rolled all 1s, and the Wild Die result was a penalty), and so his minimum roll would be an 8; he doesn't even bother to roll the dice, he just springs past the man's clumsy swing, ducking under his outstretched arm. His movement ends him right at the dude's back.

The next round, he can't help but want to add a little insult to injury, so he spins around and goes to plant a foot upside the man's posterior and shove him forward into the nuns. The husband is just going to try and keep from getting shoved, but doesn't want to range away from his opponent, so a full Brawling Parry instead of a Dodge.

Dizzik has a Strength of 2D+2, a Brawling of 3D+2, and the husband has no particular defensive skills, so the roll defaults to his Dexterity attribute, which is 2D, because he's a normal human. Dizzik rolls a 6, 5, 3. 6 on the Wild Die, and that means a re-roll, which comes up a 3. So the Brawling roll is 6+5+3+3 = 17, +2 pips = 19. The husband rolls a 4, 2. 4+2 = 6, and it's a full defense, which means the roll is added to the basic Brawling difficulty of 5, so 6+5 = 11. It's not enough, so despite the husband trying to whirl around, Dizzik gets his foot set and shoves.

To resolve it, we do a damage check. Dizzik's Strength is 2D+2, the husband's Strength is 3D. Dizzik rolls 6, 1, which is lucky, because of the 6 on the Wild Die. A re-roll of that die also gets a 6! And that re-roll is another 6! And then a 3. So Dizzik's damage roll is 6+1+6+6+3 = 22, +2 pips = 24. The husband rolls 2, 5, 3. 2+5+3 = 10. Dizzik beats the husband's roll by 14. If he were doing damage, that would move him into "-2D stun" range, at least (and "wounded" if doing lethal damage), but since he's got a specific result in mind, the GM allows it.

Dizzik shoves the angry husband forward, making him stumble, off-balance, into the mass of nuns now exiting the other tunnel. "Sorry, ladies!" he calls behind him as he scampers off to the next staircase down. At the last minute he sees there are some City Guard coming up. They don't know anything has been happening, but if he pushes past them, they're going to want to stop him on principle, just to be sure nothing is going on, and that would give the husband enough time to catch up.

Over the edge of the balcony beyond, Dizzik spots the winch ropes, just past his former lady-love who is still staring at the scene, open-mouthed. He angles that way, and as he runs closer, he sees that the blocky cabinet of the harpsichord they were moving earlier is rising into view as he approaches, so he increases speed. "Good luck with your marriage," he says to the woman as he leaps up to kick off the rail and leap across the open space of the shaft to the top of the instrument.

Again, Dizzik's Strength is 2D+2, but his Climbing/Jumping skill is 4D, another result of all the scrapes he gets into. The GM determines it's a decent jump out, and the cabinet is rising steadily, and there's a little swinging, so it's a Moderately difficult jump. Dizzik rolls a 4, 6, 6, 5. His luck holds: 4+6+6+5 = 21, well above the Moderate difficulty (which is usually 15 or so).

Dizzik lands on the instrument, grabbing the rope to stop himself. As his impact makes the whole thing swing, it continues to rise, seeing as the workers at the winch below are too goggle-eyed at his stunt to stop the motor. So when the instrument swings back close to the wall, Dizzik is nearly at the level of the balcony railing for the walkway above where he started. He makes another jump...

2, 4, 3, 5 = 14. That falls into the "or so" region of the Moderate difficulty. Dizzik leaps to the top of the railing, lands with no momentum, teeters on the edge, windmilling his arms... and then finally gets himself to topple forward, dropping onto the walkway and running off into the depths of the Warrens. Perhaps he will choose his girlfriends more wisely next time... but it's unlikely.

Races And Classes

RACES:

The main races are humans, halflings, and dwarves. There are occasionally some variant races as well (we have one tiefling, which is a race out of D&D that has some demonic heritage somewhere in the bloodline), and some cross-breeds, but they are generally rare; probably the most populous are half-dwarves, half-hobbits (named so to keep from having to call them half-halflings), and half-orks.

Races have specific variations from the human baseline. They may have some specific racial abilities, and specific racial aptitudes. The differences are described in a succinct manner as follows:

Dwarves may only have a maximum Dexterity of 3D, but they may have a maximum Strength and Technical of 5D. Dwarves receive a +1D racial bonus to all Strength rolls to resist damage of any sort, and this bonus extends to any resistance roll against any sort of poison, as well, even if it does not involve Strength. Dwarf starting characters receive a special skill bonus in that dice or pips put into Technical skills count double, though the +2D starting maximum is still in effect. Dwarves have a Move of 7, and possess natural darkvision.

Halflings may only have a maximum Strength of 3D, but they may have a maximum Dexterity and Perception of 5D. Halflings receive a +1D racial bonus to all defensive combat rolls (Dodges and Parrys) of any sort. Halfling starting characters receive a special skill bonus in that dice or pips put into Perception skills count double, though the +2D starting maximum is still in effect. Halflings have a Move of 7, and possess natural low-light vision.

Half-elves may only have a maximum Mechanical of 3D, but they may have a maximum Dexterity and Knowledge of 5D. Half-elves receive a +1D racial bonus to sensory rolls, due to their sharp senses; they also have an innate connection to the natural world, which translates as a +1D bonus to wilderness skills, as determined on a case-by-case basis. Half-elves have a Move of 10, and possess natural low-light vision.

Half-orks may only have a maximum Knowledge of 3D, but they may have a maximum Dexterity and Strength of 5D. Half-ork starting characters receive a special skill bonus in that dice or pips put into combat skills of any sort count double, though the +2D starting maximum is still in effect. However, half-orks also suffer from berzerker rage, which means when injured in the heat of combat, they must make an automatic Willpower roll or fly into a rage, in which their Strength and Dexterity skills get a +2D bonus, but they attack any target close to them, regardless of friend or foe. Half-orks have a Move of 10, and possess natural darkvision.

CLASSES

There aren't any.

Classes were a method in D&D to let people specify what kind of job they're intending to fill. Fighter, wizard, sorcerer, monk, druid, cleric, barbarian... etc., etc., ad nauseum.

The d6 system doesn't deal with that. Oh, the games will provide archetypes: like, a good Bounty Hunter would have attributes just so, a Brash Pilot would have attributes like this, but that would be about it.

That's basically how I'm swinging it here, too. Anybody can try anything, your attributes should pick what sorts of things you'll be good at, and your skills take care of the rest. There are no predetermined character classes, you alone determine what kind of job you want your character to be suited for, and what that entails. If you want a thief that's a swordsman, or a detective that can smith armor plate, you can build it.

The only real distinction is whether or not you can do magic. If your character is able to wield magic, they'll have to be channeled into either the Guild or the Orders. That's how this culture safeguards itself against the magical excesses that brought about the Night Plague in the first place. So if you want to cast spells, you have to either be a Guild Wizard or a Cleric of the Orders, and that's the only real distinctions as regards magic; in this conception of the world, the magic even operates the same way, it's the cultural agencies that force it to be expressed in one manner or another.

Even then, there's immense variation. Guild Wizards cover all possible personality types and areas of focus. Some are barely magical, while others specialize in just one field, and still others work for specific purposes (a former player had a wizard ninja, basically). In the Orders, certain behaviors are required of clerics, but their personalities and attitudes in doing those duties varies widely, and again, sometimes magic is the whole purpose, and sometimes it's merely one part of the whole. Shrines not only serve as places of worship, they're also like post offices and news outlets; I had one conception for a halfling cleric who didn't settle for just repeating news, but went out to confirm stories and generate new ones, basically Tarak's example of an investigative reporter.

So pitch out the idea of classes; thats not what this game is about. That's not a drawback; it's a freedom.

While I'm thinking about it, let me put down the damage chart as it's written in my materials:

0-3 = Stunned (-1D rest of the round and the next. Stun "effects" hang around for 30 minutes or until the character just rests for 1 minute. More Stun "effects" than Strength dice = unconscious for 2D minutes.)

4-8 = Wounded (falls prone, no actions the rest of the round, -1D to all actions until healed.) (Characters can be wounded twice, for -2D)

9-12 = Incapacitated (falls prone, unconscious for 10D minutes.) <I'm saying a Difficult Stamina or Willpower can retain consciousness.>

13-15 = Mortally Wounded (unconscious; roll 2D after each round -- if roll is less than number of rounds since mortal wound taken, character dies.)

16+ = Killed

Stun damage: a "wounded" or worse result means unconscious for 2D minutes. <i'm changing that to Incapacitated, with Wounded acting as just another Stun.>

Drawing weapons is a non-dice action. Making lethal damage stun, or stun damage lethal, counts as a non-dice action.

Called Shots: Making a "called shot" against a small target:
+1D to difficulty for target 10-50 centimeters long.
+4D to difficulty for target 1-10 centimeters long.
+8D to difficulty for target less than a centimeter long.

There's Cover and Protection rules, and Falling Damage, but I won't post them until it comes into play.

It has been pointed out that I don't have any prices or specifics as to costs of lodgings or equipment or food. This is intentional.

As a player, I have a tendency to be a bean-counter. I calculate loot, I work magic item costs and creations, I do all sorts of things that are probably extremely annoying, and I hate myself just a little bit for doing so, but I can't stop myself, either. That's the dynamic that is set up, and we're not rewarded for ignoring that dynamic.

Well, that's not the case here. I'm not setting prices, because I'm just going to adjudicate what you can get, and when. You want something expensive? You can't afford it yet; check back after saving up for a few adventures. Unless your character is already wealthy, or in a rich profession, in which case... sure, but you can only afford THAT right now, and nothing else.

I'm going to go by what I think is reasonable, what has been established before, and what fits the character. I'm limiting some things so that it doesn't become the old dreaded "Monty Haul" campaign, but rest assured, if you NEED something, you'll have it or find it. If you just WANT something, that's not my problem, and I'll let you have it when it would reasonably happen. In my opinion, that is (which is reasonable, since players never think they SHOULDN'T have what they want right away).

In between adventures, if you want to buy some gear, by all means, that's when you can. Just talk it over with me, and I'll give you a list of options.

A Magical Life

The daily lives of most folks in Tarak are not going to be entirely unfamiliar to folks; oh, sure, the details will be different, like how cattle have to be driven up and down ramps from their stable, and how everything is multi-level all over the place, but by and large, most activities are going to be known and understandable. But the element of this world that bears examination is the magical powers. Magical items can be viewed as basically technology, so those can be worked in with little issue. It's the lives of the spellcasters that bear more examination.

It's important to note that magic in this world is merely the ability to work one's will on the universe directly. The force exists, and only some people have the ability to tap it without special tools and runes and equipment. Now, since this very magic led to more or less the destruction of the old world, and the current very limited world-under-siege state of affairs, magic is viewed with huge suspicion in general. However, in this world, it is still immensely useful, so society can't give it up entirely. But it has to be controlled, and the two organizations have evolved to allow magic to be used in a safe, controlled manner.

Perhaps because the energy of magic is so readily available here, powerful beings also participate in the events of the world, beings that mortals can only call gods. This led to one easy method of controlling the power of magic: swear binding oaths to the gods, and let divine punishment fall upon those who break the oaths. I mean, who's going to argue with the gods as arbiters of justice, right? But there were also uses of magic that gods weren't really interested in, or that couldn't be justified under "peaceful" gods, and incorporating said other uses into oaths gave entirely too much wiggle room as to render the whole exercise pointless. So a different organization had to be developed to allow magical power without as many strictures, but since the gods weren't in control, they had to be zealously controlled by themselves, or society wouldn't allow them. And that's how the Orders and the Guild came about.

The thing to realize is, although both organizations have defined methods and flavor, they don't actually limit the kind of characters you can have. I mean, a given PC has to be able to operate within the structure, nominally, but there's a lot of lattitude. A priest can be friendly or cranky, forgiving or vengeful. A wizard can be outgoing or reserved, intellectual or seemingly dull. They can chafe under their restrictions or they can thrive. It all depends on the type of character you want to play.

People are usually recruited into the organizations as soon as their capability becomes known. It's generally considered a great honor or at least a great opportunity for the magic user, but there are all kinds of family dynamics. Sometimes the magic user is an orphan, sometimes the family stays close, sometimes the family essentially gives up the child to the care of the organization for reasons of their own, or any number of other permutations. Needless to say, this has other effects, depending on the specifics of the situation.

Life within the organizations can be very similar to life everywhere. There's nothing in either group that forbids friendships, romance, even marriage and family. But because the ability to work magic is intrinsic to each individual (though it doesn't necessarily run in bloodlines), the magic user can never be free of the organization entirely. Spouses may come and go, children grow up and leave, but they will always be a wizard or a cleric. That's why many in the Orders take vows of chastity and instead devote themselves to their parishioners as a whole, and why many in the Guild develop relationships with each other, and seem even more insular to outsiders.

In general, those in the Orders are, yes, priests and priestesses of the religion, but they're also social workers, schoolteachers, mail carriers, and newsagents. Shrines are distributed throughout any given community, with younger acolytes taking news and items and supplies back and forth between them, and the neighborhood shrine is a place where the kids go to learn to read and write, where messages and packages are left, and where people trade stories. Clerical magic can often tell truth from lie, so if you hear a tale from the mouth of your local cleric, it's bound to be more accurate, even if the information is incomplete. People feel more comfortable around clerics, knowing they can't get out of control or the gods themselves will exact punishment, so the Orders rarely feel the same kind of social isolation that the Guild gets. But that doesn't mean there aren't all different kinds of clerics. They may not devote themselves to one god at a time, but their personalities may be more suited to some than others, and not always the positive aspects. Within the letter and spirit of their oaths, they can do or act any way they please, and while they are limited in the kind of magic they can learn and practice, they are perfectly capable of doing whatever else they want.

The Guild tends to be more the institute of higher learning; they devote themselves not only to magic but also all other kinds of education as well. After all, magic helps drive technology in this world, so it makes sense that enchanters, spellcasters, and engineers would be closely allied in the halls of the Guild. It could be useful to imagine the Guild as a university whose staff can be hired out for special expert jobs throughout the community. They cannot count on community support as the Orders can, so therefore they must support themselves by charging for their services. On the other hand, as the gods don't have a direct say in what they can and can't do, they are free to learn any form of magic they so desire. The problem, of course, is self-control. With no other practical control but other Guild wizards, combined with the social alienation that fear of their power creates within a community, it's a serious risk for wizards to develop a kind of megalomania. Which is why the Guild has to be fairly involved and self-policing. Many see the Guild as intrusive and controlling, but fewer realize how necessary that is.

Most wizards have dealt with the Guild practices their whole magical life, so many have learned to just deal with it, and beyond keeping tabs on what each wizard is doing, the Guild doesn't actually try and force its members to do all that much. But it IS definitely authoritative, and different people have different reactions to authority. Therefore you'll get conformists and rebels, you'll get those who operate well and those who have difficulty. And each wizard's focus is different, as well; some aren't interested in developing their power all that much, which the Guild doesn't mind (thinks it's a waste, but doesn't mind), so long as they're still controlled in how they use the power they have. Others are more interested in research or teaching younger wizards, and so forth. There's all kinds of personalities in the Guild, as well, so just because the Guild hierarchy is as much of a presence in a wizard's life as the gods are a presence in a cleric's life, that doesn't mean the Guild has to dictate everything the wizard does. Different people have different reactions and find different ways to cope; within the letter and spirit of the Guild rules, they can do or act any way they please, and while they are required to bear the marks and identification of the Guild and deal with the public by Guild methods, they are perfectly capable of doing whatever else they want.

So, just because you want to play a magic user doesn't mean you have to be limited to a particular type of personality. You can still do whatever you like. It's just that the power of magic comes with a price, and so whatever character you play, you're going to have to deal with that price. You can still be friendly/unfriendly/obedient/rebellious/serious/light-hearted/whatever, you just have to be able to cope with the other duties imposed on you by your choice to be able to cast spells.

And as plotlines will prove, even that can be a source of drama in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom