Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Let's take a few steps...(DudeGuy and Selena)

• Somewhere where they could see the sky? Raphael took a moment to think about her answer. Sure it was cheesy, but if that was what she really wanted, then he wanted her to be able to see the sky wherever they went. Where was the best place to see the sky? The beach he thought. Moving towards the coast would probably be for the best. Whenever they wanted, they could go down to the shore, take a stroll, go swimming, or just sit in the sand and watch the sky above. All of those things seemed heavenly to him.

"That's just fine with me," Raphael replied. He looked into her eyes and smiled, happy to be here in this nice, safe environment. No need to fear anyone coming after them, no need to fear much of anything. "How about we move to the coast? One of those beach towns," he suggested.[/list:u]

Selena's eyes lit up when he said it was fine by him. She couldn't help herself- she leaned over and planted a kiss right on his lips, a sweet and innocent kiss, almost as if she were thanking him. After the kiss, she covered her lips with her hand, blushing. "S-sorry..." she replied, but a beaming smile still danced on her lips.

She thought about what he was saying. Somewhere on the beach, along the coast....a beautiful place to be, for sure. She had always lived just outside of the city suburbs, helping her dad take care of the small grape farm he had kept in the family. The grapes grown there were used in the winery in the city that they had first found protection in when PRAT had bombed. In one sense, she didn't want to leave her memories behind of living on her father's farm, tending to the grapes...but to live on the beach would be moving a step forward in her life, but the step would be light with Raphael at her side. "The beach...hmm...I'd like that." she replied softly.

• Raphael gently placed his hand on top of her head, slightly ruffling her hair. She seemed to be a bit. . .uneasy about what she had just done. There was no reason for her to be. After telling each other that they thought they loved each other, to be uneasy after that was just silly. At least he thought so. "Don't worry about it," Raphael said.

Her thoughts wondered off, perhaps considering moving away and going to live elsewhere and all it would entitle. They would be leaving their home, but when Raphael looked at the wreckage, he didn't see his home anymore. He saw nothing but ruins, shards of buildings strewn about. Piles of concrete, broken steel beams, the bodies of the dead, and the soldiers that worked for the organization that killed them. He couldn't think of this place as his home anymore. "The beach it is then," he said softly.[/list:u]

Selena sighed, becoming more comfortable with him as the moments passed on. "Yes...the beach, it is." she replied with a yawn. She dug her head into the feathery pillow, her body on her side, facing him. She blinked a few times, just thinking. Thank you, God...for everything. For letting Raphael be with me...for taking my family and friends to live in your glorious kingdom...thank you...Father. she prayed silently before drifting off into a deep and wonderful slumber, Raphael the last thing she saw before she drifted to sleep. She hadn't covered up, but just lay there, asleep on top of the bed comfortably, a soft and modest smile on her face.

• Raphael watched silently as Selena finally relaxed and fell asleep. She looked so calm, oddly at peace now after their talk rather than being as tense as she had been when she was unconscious. He slowly rose to his feet and covered her up to her shoulders. Instead of sitting back down, he stared down at Selena's face. She looked. . .rather cute as she slept. After kissing her cheek softly, he sat down and grabbed the blanket he had been using for the past few days and wrapped it around his shoulders. It wasn't much longer before he finally fell asleep himself.

When he woke the next morning, Selena was still resting. He watched her for some time, as her chest rose and fell, calmly, rhythmically. This girl, somehow, moved her way into his heart in the thick of what could only be described as a worst case scenario. She didn't cry or whine, but rather, she tried to do her best the entire time they were in hiding. And even when she wasn't in the best of conditions, she tried to look after him. Even though she was still the person who needed to be looked after, she had gone so far as to try to convince him to sleep in her bed last night. It was such a sweet gesture. He had thought for a long time now that fate had brought the two of them together.[/list:u]

Selena woke up to the morning sunlight illuminating the hospital room, Raphael sitting there already awake. She yawned, turning onto her back as she stretched her hands high above her head. She looked over to Raphael, giving him a tired smile. 'Oh, good morning." she said in an upbeat tone. She had slept absolutely great last night, even with the horrible circumstances that surrounded her. Somehow, Raphael had seemed to lighten that load. He did so much for her that she was beginning to realize. Not only had he protected her and comforted her when PRAT attacked the city, but he stuck with her, and he was still with her now. The thought that he cared about her that much really struck her heartstrings. She wanted to be wrapped up tight in his arms and embraced forever- it was one of the best places she could think of, out of all the places she had ever been.

Her mind wandered to last night's discussion. She really wanted to continue archery. It was her true passion. Shooting a few rounds of arrows? She'd look forward to that anytime. "Raphael, whereever we go, I want to be able to still be an archer." she said, nodding her head as if confirming it. "What would you like when we move? I mean, you must have interests and hobbies..." she replied, smiling up at him.

• Raphael's interests and hobbies. What did a former child soldier, brainwashed to be a killing machine enjoy to do with his time? The answer would probably surprise Selena. "Maybe get a book and read? Or maybe I could try painting. I've always wanted to try painting." Yes, the former killer liked art. He loved looking at paintings. A part of him wondered how anyone could put together a work of art. What kind of methodology, logic, imagery, imagination did it take to create something so beautiful? And would someone like him ever be able to do something like that? There was a large part of him that doubted that he could ever do such things.

The other thing that he really loved to do was read novels. Different kinds of stories, different kinds of situations, the kinds of things that people came up with to entertain people or move others for one reason or another.[/list:u]

Selena sat up in the bed, listening to him with genuine interest. "Art and reading? That's amazing, Raphael!" she replied happily, "I can easily see you painting beautiful pictures of the ocean and the beautiful moonlight dancing on the waves..." She took the cover that layed over her and slid it off of her body, the fabric all bunched together at the foot of the bed. Another yawn escaped Selena's lips as she rubbed her forehead. "Novel, really? One of my favorite authors is Victor Hugo. The Toilers of the Sea is one of his best works, oh and C.S. Lewis?! He's amazing!" she replied, liking a good book herself as well. "Mmm..." she murred, "a little cottage on the beach with a beautiful screened porch where you could paint and read...it sounds spectacular." she replied, thinking more about the living conditions, and moreso, living with Raphael. The thought of living with him gave her goosebumps, but in a good way.

She looked down at her arms, one hand rubbing up her arm to make those goosebumps warm up and go away.

There was something about Selena's reaction that was just. . .all too adorable. How she became excited when he told her what it was that he liked to do. And then there was the way she spoke. Not only was she interested, fascinated it seemed, but there was a fondness in both her voice and her expression as she seemed to be visualizing him doing those things. She had even gone on to suggest authors and even a book for him to look into. She was, quite certainly, into the entire idea that he had come up with. That much made him more than happy. "Well then, it sounds like quite the plan," Raphael said, offering Selena a smile.

He could not wait to be out of this place. Away from what was left of their previous home, away from all of the horrible things here and back into a calm and safe environment. Getting away from it all and being with Selena in a safe place sounded like heaven right about now. "Do you want to just leave this all behind and go," Raphael asked. There was still the proposal of the military officials they had to consider before they made a final decision on what they wanted to do. There was still plenty of time for them to decide what they wanted to do, but it didn't hurt to think and talk about it.

Selena knew that they had been through far too enough, and going back to such a place would bring back the raw memories. She mulled over the thought for a few moments. Yes, it would hurt her to go back, it would make her cry. But that was such a small price to pay when others' lives were at stake that they could help. She couldn't say no. Even if they would be in such a heavenly place along the beach, the thought that there were lives that they could save would make her worried and guilty.

With a sigh and yet a smile, she looked him straight in the eye. "I want to help them."

She really wanted Raphael to stand with her in this decision, but if he would choose differently than she would help them alone....'alone'? She hadn't thought of that word for quite a little while now; always looking at herself as "Raphael and I" instead. "Raphael...what would you do?"

• "Well, I certainly wouldn't be able to live with myself if I walked away from this situation knowing that there's something I can do to help anyone else who could be alive out there," Raphael said, looking directly back into Selena's eyes. Much like her gaze, his was both firm and set. Without even saying anything more, they would each understand just how strongly the other felt about the issue. Returning to the wastes was the only thing that they could do now. By looking into Selena's eyes, Raphael understood that she had just been thinking what he said.

Besides, there were still plenty of PRAT Soldiers out there. Though it seemed as if some of their tactics had become more sophisticated than they had been before, Raphael still understood how the operated. For the most part that was. He could make a few educated guesses as to how things had changed, and could offer his opinion about how to best combat them. With the eagle like eyes of Selena, and the proper equipment, and the proper support, they could do a lot of good here.

"I guess that makes coming to a final decision easier then, huh," he asked.[/list:u]

Selena released her firm eyes, sighing softly. "Yeah...I...I guess it does." she replied, coming to the realization that within 48 hours or so, she and Raphael would be back in that terrible hellish wasteland that they had tried to get out of so badly. She shook her head, wiping her misty eyes on her sleeve a few times, as if itching a scratch. She turned her head away from him, so he wouldn't have to see her facial expression. She was just about to burst into tears...she couldn't help herself. The thought of the whole ordeal made her stomach churn.

She forced herself to think about the people whose lives were at stake, calming herself. "I'm sorry..." she whispered softly, as if she had done something wrong by beginning to cry.

• Raphael was unable to sit still at a time like this. He rose to his feet and walked over to the side of the bed. The young man took a seat beside Selena, then leaned over to her and wrapped his arms around her middle. Slowly, and a bit hesitantly, he pulled her in closer to himself, offering her his shoulder to cry on. Whenever she was upset, she always seemed to turn away from and apologize for her feelings. There was no reason for her to continue looking away from him like this. Not after their conversation the night before. They were. . .together now? The exact status of their relationship was still unclear to him, but they were definitely committed to each other.

Selena could count on him to be here for her, to comfort her whenever she needed him to. "Listen. . .if you aren't up to this, we don't have to do it. We can still walk away," he whispered softly. Or. . .was it because of all of those other fears she was feeling? Fear of finding someone that she knew in the ruins dead? Or something worse? What exactly the problem was he couldn't say for sure.[/list:u]

Selena looked up at him, a somewhat suprised expression showing through her tear-filled eyes. She exhaled without saying a word, resting her head against his shoulder gently, naturally. Quickly taking a palm to her face, she would wipe her eyes dry. With a shake of the head she'd look about, a bit of a rosey red tint to her cheeks. "I shouldn't be so weak..um..."

Her eyes would then turn to meet his own, her now dulled attitude still showing radiantly through her eyes. "I'm absolutely sure I want to go through with this." She'd reply, her voice strong, proud. "When can I get out of this hospital anyways...?" she'd add, looking about for a clipboard that would have the information she was seeking.

• Selena's answer surprised him. He thought that she would want to leave, to get away from what happened here. Honestly, there was a part of him that wanted to turn and run away from this all as well, but he knew that his skills and his knowledge would be needed here. That was why he was staying. That must have been why she was staying here as well. Most surprising was the conviction with which she spoke, and that fierce expression on her face. The look in her eyes, that strength in her voice, those were things that no weak person would be able to have. She was much stronger than she gave herself credit for.

He took hold of one of her hands and gave it a firm squeeze, trying to redirect her attention to him. "If you're absolutely certain, we'll stay, and we'll help them search. But. . .instead of worrying about when you can leave, why don't you just rest and relax while we're safe now," Raphael said, speaking slowly and softly.[/list:u]

Selena would stop her search rather suddenly, looking over her shoulder at him, straight in his eyes. Her eyes were bright and full of life, despite her rather injured and sore body. Her eyes would then shift downward, a soft smile forming on her lips as she returned the squeeze. "That sounds like a good plan."

Letting go of his hand she crawled back into the bed, turning on one side to face him before drawing up the cover over her. "Hey..just...thanks. For everything."

• "I should be the one thanking you. You saved me quite a few times with those eyes of yours. I'd have never spotted those gunners you did the day this all started," Raphael replied. There was no denying it, nor would there be any dancing around the facts. She saved him - she kept him from being shot. Numerous times. They were able to find a place to hide, calm themselves down, and thing for a while because of her directions, and from there, they were able to find somewhere else to rest. She helped him every bit as much as he helped her, so he felt that there was no need to go about thanking each other given the circumstances were what they were.

"Just relax, and don't worry about anything," he whispered. It would be for the best if she were able to ease her mind soon. Once she was calm and relaxed enough, she would ease into sleep. Hopefully.[/list:u][/list:u]

Selena's modesty showed itself once more. "Awh..well, come on..I mean, I just did what any other human being would've done too!" She replied in an upbeat tone. "Well, at leasted I TRIED to do what any other human being would've done! Plus, you still did loads for me too."

She gave a slight yawn then, nodding once as if confirming herself and him. Snuggling her head into the pillow, she felt her eyelids begin to grow heavy. His soothing whisper only helped them grow even heavier, and she replied with an exhausted, "Alright.." before drifting off into sleep, completely calm and a slight smile upon her lips, her hands pulling the cover up around her shoulders as she snuggled into the warm, fuzzy fabric.

• Raphael had been raised to be a killer - to take lives and move on without caring. He was hardened emotionally by battle. Even after being rescued and rehabilitated, seeing the bodies of those that had died hardly had any effect on him. He was sad to see that so many lives had been lost in the attack, and honestly, a part of him did care about what happened to those people, but it didn't really affect him like it would a normal person. Or at least, that was what he thought.

Selena had been able to fall asleep almost instantly, as if none of what they had gone through together ever happened. Then again, just because she was able to fall asleep didn't mean that she would be able to stay asleep. Raphael slowly closed his eyes, not sleeping, but relaxing. Eventually, it was possible that he would fall asleep. Growing up being breed to fight, he was a rather light sleeper. If she stirred, she would wake him, and they would work through whatever was happening together.[/list:u][/list:u]

Selena slept soundly for a few solid hours. When she awoke again, the land was still fairly dark, but the beginning hints of dawn sunlight began to penetrate through the navy clouds over the horizon seen out of the hospital window. She shifted her weight in the bed to better look out the window, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light of the room. Her eyes shifted from the window to Raphael, who was already awake, but still kept silent. She then carefully sat upwards, stretching her arms into the air and letting out a tired yawn.

"Good morning." she'd reply in a modest tone. "Did you sleep well?" she'd ask with an inquizitive expression.

Back
Top Bottom