Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Let's take a few steps...(DudeGuy and Selena)

Selena suddenly stopped, looking up at him with a sad look on her face. She knew the outcome, but she wanted to do everything possible to make her believe that really didn't happen. She buried her head into his chest, crying. She wrapped her arms around his middle, his warmth being a comfort to her. She felt as if he was all that she had left of her old life, going to school with him and everything, but he was also the start of her new life. It was something difficult for her to understand. Other than God and the breath he left in their lungs, they were all each other had left of their old lives.

Seeing they way that Selena's eyes welled up with tears spoke volumes to Raphael. He knew good and well that she was going to fall apart, he could just see it in her eyes. This was all too much for her. Sure enough, she wrapped her arms around him and sought comfort in him, and he was there to give it to her. His arms remained enveloped her smaller frame once more, pulling her tight as she let go of all of the tears she had been trying to fight back. Yes, their old lives were gone, but they didn't have to live in the past. This was no doubt a tragedy, but it didn't define who they were. They could continue living, but they would never forget.

Raphael held Selena until she stopped crying, keeping her head tucked up against his shoulder until he was sure that she was calm once more. "I know it's hard but. . .we'll be fine. We got through that mess. . .I'm pretty sure we can get through anything," he said, in an attempt to raise her spirits.

His hugging reminded her of her family's and friends' hugs. Good, strong, and genuine. She longed for them, especially at this moment. She slowed her breathing once more, calming down considerably. She moved her head to look up into his eyes. "For the rest of my life, I'm going to live life as if I'd die the next day. For my family, for my friends..that is a promise. I've taken life for granted, and now that they are gone...I realize how much life means to me..to us." She replied, her voice soft. She lowered her head against his chest, closing her eyes. If he would die now, if he'd be taken away...Selena would probably break down. He was his earthly stronghold; and God was her heavenly one. "I...I dn't want you to leave.." she said, one of the few selfish things she had said.

"I wouldn't go anywhere even if you asked me to," Raphael replied. It was actually kind of funny to see how close they had become to one another in the few days that they had really known each other. Sure, they had classes together before, but they never really noticed each other before the bombs went off. After spending all of this time with Selena, he wasn't sure if he would just be able to turn and walk away from her. Not without feeling that nagging sense of concern for her well being. Raphael had wanted to become an engineer after his time in PRAT, in hopes that he would be able to do something about the over population problems that the human race would no doubt be facing in the future. He still wanted to do something about those problems, but his life had recently found a new purpose - to be here for this person.

She needed him and he needed her. That much had been obvious to him since the moment they met.

Selena laughed a bit, repeating his last phrase. "Not even if I wanted you to?" she paused for a moment. "But why would i want you to go away?" she was like all other girls; she had a way of twisting words around like that. She huggled his middle, her ear against his chest. She could hear the beat of his heart. It was odd, really. Selena had never opened up to a guy like this before. Was it the situation at hand, or was it Raphael himself? All she new was that she was dang lucky to have him around, and not some big airhead who could only survive in an enviroment where their life depended on if they made the winning touchdown.

Selena looked up once more. "Where do we go from here?" She was a mere freshamn biology student who had lived on-campus. Where would she live now? What school would she attend? What about a job? She hated thinking about this questions, but she knew that her friends and family wouldnt' want her to waste one day of her life.

Raphael could have been a jock. He had the physique and the know how to play sports on the college level. Making a touch down, plowing through guys who were bigger than him? Those things were completely doable for him. Swinging a bat and hitting a ball out of a park? Also very doable. He didn't care for such displays of strength or skill. After going through PRAT's training and being 'deprogrammed', such things held no meaning for him anymore. Rather, he focused on improving his mind, trying to become better for the sake of doing something good for the world. There was so much that he could do. He sat down on the side of Selena's bed and began to explain what had happened while she had been unconscious.

"I spoke with the men in charge here. When they rescued us, they noticed the body armor that I had taken off of the PRAT soldiers. They also noticed all of the weapons and supplies that we had built up. In the end, I explained to him how we survived and they're. . .well. . .we can do something to help here. We can help them comb the ruins for survivors, finish dealing with the PRAT soldiers, and those kinds of things. Or, we can just walk away from this situation," he said.

Selena thought for a good long moment. She wanted to help, she really did..but she never wanted to be in those ruins again. They were behind her, in her past now. If she'd find the remains of one of her family members or one of her friends, she wouldn't even know how she would react. The thought itself scared the living daylights out of her; her face turning white with nervousness.

She shook her head, trying to rid her mind of these thoughts. "When can we help them?"

"As soon as you're well enough to walk around. We'll have to wait for at least three days they said. But, if this really makes you so uneasy, we don't have to do a thing. We can walk away from all of this," Raphael said. He was saying this because of the way Selena's face suddenly turned white, and the way that her eyes widened. There was fear in her gaze. If he had to guess what it was? It was finding one of her family or friends dead. How would she deal with such things? How would he deal with this if he found the people who adopted him? Or the friends that he had made? Raphael knew that he would most likely fall apart, but he wanted to do what he could to help.

Selena sighed, mulling the thought over in her head. She wanted to help, she really did, because she knew how those people felt and how they were effected by what had happened. She closed her eyes, laying her head against her pillow. "How about we wait until after the three days have passed to make a decision on wheather to help or not...maybe...we will be able to make sounder choices." She looked over at him. "I'm glad you're okay, though..." she replied with a tired faint smile, grasping one of his hands with her own.

"That sounds good," Raphael replied. When Selena rested back against the pillows, he sighed mentally. It was good to see that she was finally relaxing again. The worst thing that she could possibly do right now was place too much strain on herself. Physically or mentally. These next few days needed to be spent in a mostly relaxed setting. And, it would give them each a chance to think long and hard about the decisions they made before they gave any of the men in charge here a final answer as to what they would be doing.

Raphael squeezed Selena's hands and offered her a smile, "I'm glad you're okay too. Do us both a favor and try not to hurt yourself anymore though. If anything else happened to you I think I'd lose another year of my life."

Selena's heart stopped. She looked over at him, her eyes true and genuine. He..he thinks so much of me? So much that I would effect him that long...? Selena exhaled, a guilty smile on her face. I've never had anyone tell me such news before...this feeling..I may be stuck in bed in a hospital with the people I fear most...doctors..and yet..those words..they make everything so much better...so much better..better than he will ever know! Without warning, Selena jumped up, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Of course I won't..." she replied, closing her eyes and resting her head on his shoulder. Everything was just becoming too much for her...the sick thought of losing nearly all of her family and friends, the hatred she felt towards PRAT, the wanting to help the people lost in the rubble but being scared about what she might find, the thought that she was in a hospital herself, and the feelings she was beginning to have for Raphael. It was just too much...she didn't want to do, anything else or think of anything else. She just wanted his comfort.

Sometime during those few days they spent together it what remained of their city, Raphael had grown rather attached to Selena. She saved his life and she was there for him to rely on when he needed her. Even though she had gotten hurt and spent most of her time resting, a quick conversation with her was all that he needed to calm himself down and relax. To be able to rely on someone for such a thing wasn't just something that happened between two strangers, it was more like something that went on when two people who were fated to be together were with one another. At least, that was what Raphael believed. It wasn't just by chance that Raphael had been stuck with Selena all of this time, and it wasn't by chance that they made it out of that place alive.

As soon as she had her arms wrapped around him again, he embraced her once more. "Alright then. Let's focus on getting you better first, then we'll worry about everything else," Raphael whispered softly.

Selena slowly let go of him, laying back down onto the bed. She was well-noted for her modesty, despite almost any situation at hand. "I'm fine, really..I am..I just have a bit of a headache is all." She replied softly, reassuring him, a tired smile on her lips. She looked over past him at the window, the curtains open. The sun was sinking over the horizon and the sky was turning a beautiful indigo navy color, dotted with white stars. There wasn't a cloud in the sky...it looked so peaceful. It felt so great to be able to see the skyline again; the beautiful buildings dotting along with their small yellow square windows, the black shapes of birds racing across the sky, returning to roost in the trees for the night. The skyline, the sunset..everything she had taken for granted before this all had happened..now? It meant the world to her. "Wow..that is so beautiful!"

It had been. . .far too long since Raphael last stopped and took a moment to observe the sun setting. For him, the view of such a simple event was beyond just the aesthetic beauty of it. When he was taken out of the compound and saw the sky for the first time, the very first thing that he saw was the sun set. It was beautiful, brilliant beyond his ability to comprehend at the point. Every time he saw it, it struck something deep within him that he still could not find the proper words to explain. It was. . .liberating. "It is, isn't it," Raphael said. His mind was unable to come up with anything more.

Selena's gaze never left the sinking orange ball. She let out a sigh, a mixture of relief and sadness. Her face would show her mixed feelings well. She slid out of the bed and walked over to the window silently, putting a hand up to the glass. Closing her eyes for a moment, she thanked God for all He had done- though it was much easier to see all the negatives that had occurred.

Her eyes still on the sun, she spoke in a tone she had never used before with him, a tone of wisdom and realness. "Raphael," she said, letting her forehead rest against the glass, "I can't believe I'm going to say this but..I..I..think I love you." She then turned to look at him, the look on her own face showed her nervousness. She then looked down, away from him, crossing her arms as if she was cold. "I..I just wanted you to know that."

• When Selena suddenly rose to her feet and moved to the window, Raphael couldn't help but to wonder what it was that made her do so. Was it because she was so ensnared by the sight of the setting sun? It looked to him as if the sight was taking on a new, special meaning for her. Maybe this was her freedom, her release from the grips and fears that were wracking her mind?

There was something about the way that she said his name that sent shivers up and down his spine. And when she finished talking? He understood why. What she said. . .she was. . .he. . .for a time, Raphael's mind literally ceased processing thoughts. He stared at her, his mouth agape, his eyes fixed on her face. Without even realizing what he was doing, he stood up and walked over to her. Silently, he wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly. She was the only person outside of his adoptive family to ever say that to him, and it meant so much to him that it was near overwhelming. How did he feel about her? He didn't quite understand but. . .

"I think. . .I love you too," he said softly.[/list:u]

Selena looked up at him, her eyes wide too. She wasn't sure how he was going to react, but with all that was going on, she just had to let him know. They hadn't known each other except through school, and that knowledge and friendship was limited...until all of this occurred. "I'm sorry..it's just...with everything that has happened, I never imagined anyone would have stayed with me through the whole ordeal. You put your life on the line for me, you comforted me when I was sad and angry! You took care of me when I was injured! You've done that and so much more." She replied, speaking right from the heart. She then smiled up at him, a relieving sigh escaping her lips. "I'd be crazy NOT to love you." She said, letting her eyes close and her head lay against his chest. It felt like a burden had been lifted off of her, now that he knew how she felt towards him. Somehow, it made everything a bit less painful than it once was, knowing that there is someone who loves you, who is there to comfort you anytime when you're famly's and friends' deaths are still very much raw in your mind. A tear fell down the side of her cheek, her eyes still closed. "Thank you," she whispered.

• Raphael had only done what he thought was right in this situation. He stuck by Selena because there was no way that she would have been able to survive on her own. And they were definitely no way that he would have been able to survive without her either. Her eyes were like those of a hawks, her ability to spot snipers and moving troops large distances away saved their lives on several occasions. Having her company, thinking about her, seeing her face when he closed his eyes, it helped him retain his renewed sense of self. If not for Selena, he probably would have reverted back to the old killing machine that he had been brought up to be. Though he had no plans of openly admitting that, it was true. Staying with the beautiful young woman kept him in check, and she served as the anchor that helped him stay him.

On top of that, they talked to each other and opened up to each other a bit. They didn't know much about one another just yet, but all of that would soon change he thought. They had three days to rest, attempt to relax, and to get to know everything they could ever want to know about each other. In the end, they would decide if they wanted to return to their normal lives, or help their rescuers comb the wastes for any signs of life. Citizens who had gone into hiding or even PRAT Soldiers. In one way or another, they had to be dealt with.

Raphael glanced down at Selena, watching her expression as she continued to pour her heart out to him. She was saying such sweet things. . .and the way her face look told him everything that her mouth couldn't possibly hope to express. His arms tightened around her slightly, trying to mind her injuries while returning the affection she was giving to him. "Even though such a terrible thing happened, and. . .everyone has lost so much, I'm glad that it was you I was with," was all he said in return.[/list:u][/list:u]

Selena smiled a tired smile, her eyes still closed. "I'm glad you feel that way." she replied, her voice soft. Something about him intrigued her. Her whole life, Selena had worked through school and extracurriculars to try to blossom out of the normalcy of her family. Raphael, on the other hand, was doing the exact opposite. Once a brainwashed killing machine, he was reaching a sense of normalcy. They both led such different lives. Do opposites really attract?

The sun had set, and the sky was a deep navy color. She had loosened her arms slightly, loving Raphael's strong and protective arms holding her close. Any pain that he accidently caused by his hugging Selena didn't mind; a type of pain her father used to call a 'good kind of pain'. She yawned, tired but relieved that she and Raphael would be sleeping safely tonight. For once in her life, she just let go and let him know everything. Too many times, Selena had kept her feelings bottled up inside.

• Raphael wasn't quite sure that he would be able to sleep well tonight. Even though they were safe, he still felt on edge. Knowing that there were PRAT Soldiers who were out there on the loose, nearby the area where they were made him feel anxious. PRAT trained their soldiers to be a resilient bunch. They were tough, they had great endurance, and they would fight as hard as they could until they were able to complete their objective or died trying to do so. There was a strong blockade about seven miles away, where the edge of the affected territory was. The only thing that remained of the city they called home were these outskirts. The epicenter of the explosion was where most of the damage had been done. The concussion wave blew many of the things outside of the blast radius apart. Most of the windows here in this building had been replaced for the sake of the patients that were here.

"You should get back in bed now and rest," he said softly. Raphael wanted Selena to be as well as she could be as soon as possible.[/list:u]

Selena sighed, looking up at him. "I suppose you're right," she said, making her way over to the bed, sitting on the edge for a little while. She let her hands drop into her lap, watching him walk a few paces to her. "Raphael, where will you sleep tonight? You need your rest too you know!" she replied, a faint smile on her lips. Her eyes scanned the room, looking for any possible places for him to sleep, such as a nice comfy chair or a sofa. She then looked down at her hospital bed. "You can sleep here if you'd like," she replied, her modesty showing through. "A chair would be good for my back y'know, sitting up and stuff," she remarked, trying to make sense but failing to do so. She just didn't want Raphael to be uncomfortable this evening. She kept the mood happy with her upbeat and laidback additude, however, especially now after she just recently let him know how she felt about him.

• Selena had failed at making sense in this situation. She still needed her rest, and if anything happened and her condition took a turn for the worse - which Raphael was praying didn't happen - it would be easier for the doctors to treat her if she were resting in the bed. Besides, even if he had to sleep on the bare floor, Raphael was quite certain that he could make himself comfortable. He shook his head upon hearing Selena's suggestion, immediately declining her offer to take the bed. "There's no way I'm sleeping in your bed. Go on and lie down, I'll be just fine in the chair right here," Raphael said, taking the seat before he even finished speaking.

The plan was to not give Selena even a moment to protest. It was a bit cruel, but the only thing that he would allow her to do for right now was comply with his wishes. To Raphael, it was most important that Selena got her rest in a bed and got better. Any discomfort he would experience would be minor at the most.[/list:u]

Selena sighed tiredly, a modest smile on her face. She grabbed one of her arms with the other, looking almost guilty about asking such a question. "Oh...alright.." she responded to Raphael, climbing into bed but sitting up, her feet tucked up comfortably. She wasn't too tired yet, but the night sky and the quietness of the hospital was beginning to work on her. She wrapped her arms around her legs, letting her head rest on her knees. Her eyes shifted over to Raphael, who was seated in the seat next to the bed.

"Raphael...where do we go from here? I mean...what school, where do we live...what do we do?" she questioned, never expecting to be in such an odd situation as this one. Another sigh, almost of worry, escaped her lips. She did not want to move forward- away from her old life of family and friends, but time was going to push her forward without any choice in the matter.

• The funny thing was, Raphael had no idea where to go from here. All of this time, the only thing that he had been concerned about was getting out of the city alive. With Selena. And now that they were out of the city, he was worried about her getting better. What would come after this? Whether they helped the world army comb through the ruins or not, they still had to live their lives. Just going back to being. . .normal again seemed to be near impossible when he thought about it. Then again, he had been "deprogrammed" and had been living a fairly normal life all of this time. He could do it again. At least he hoped he could.

"I don't know. What would you want to do? Where would you want to go," he asked. To him, it didn't matter where they were so long as they were still together. Being away from her after this ordeal would kill him.[/list:u]

Selena looked up into his eyes, as if searching for comfort. She thought for a few moments, her head still resting on her knees, her arms about her legs. "Somewhere where we can see the sky. That's all I ask for, " she replied, not minding the corny reply she gave him. A soft laugh escaped her lips, trying to lighten the situation the best she could. "Anywhere with you. I want you to know that I never want to leave you," she replied, her eyes true and genuine. "That is, if that's okay with you." she said, laying a hand on his arm gently.

She finally let her knees slide down onto the bed, her other hand draped across her midsection. She the slowly removed her hand from his arm, a soft smile on her face.

Back
Top Bottom