Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Let's take a few steps...(DudeGuy and Selena)

Raphael woke up a few hours later to find himself and Selena in one piece. Neither of them were more injured than they had been when they slept, and there was no blood anywhere on either of them. He slowly sat upright, his fingers wrapping around the handle of a gun. There were no PRAT soldiers in sight, which meant that there were no PRAT soldiers around them at all. They were safe. He dropped the gun and leaned back against the seat, allowing Selena to continue to sleep comfortably against him. Raphael thanked God that he was stuck in this situation with someone like Selena. She was such a sweet girl, and though there were a few things that happened that made her uncomfortable, she remained relatively calm and level headed. Most people he knew before the bombs would have panicked and run off only to get themselves killed.

Selena yawned once more, her vision blurry. She blinked a few times, looking upwards at Raphael with tired eyes. "Oh...good morning," she replied softly, "That is, if it is morning." She laid her head back down to his chest, letting herself wake up slowly. She noticed that his hand was close to a gun he had carried earlier. She quickly had a concerned look on her face. "Did..anything happen? Did you see anyone or something?" Since she was still half asleep, her words weren't the best chosen.

Raphael had just set the gun back down onto the seat when Selena woke. It was only natural for her to think that there might have been something going on there. He hadn't meant to have made her feel that way though. "No, everything is perfectly fine. It's just. . .nervous habit," Raphael said. When he was a part of PRAT, there was no telling when they would have to fight to defend themselves. Sleeping was when they were most vulnerable, so they were "taught" how to come out of sleep and into an alert state immediately. Whenever he woke, he always stopped and took a look around like that. "Good. . .day to you as well," he said. He wasn't quite sure what time it was either there weren't any functioning clocks withing view, not even the clock in the truck worked properly.

Selena rubbed her eyes with one of her hands. "Ohh..." she replied, not wanting to bring back any negative memories that he might've harbored from PRAT. When she had fallen asleep and when she had woken, Raphael wasn't sleeping. "I hope you got some sleep too...I mean..I would feel horrible if I had..er..slept here while you sat..and...um..." she began to ramble again, more alert and awake now. Why was she rambling? She wasn't quite sure.

"I'm fine. I got some sleep too," he said, addressing both of her concerns at the same time. There was no reason for her to apologize for stirring up memories. They were just memories after all. They were in the past. And Raphael had fallen asleep an hour after she did earlier that day, only to wake up a few minutes earlier than she had. There was no reason for her to worry about resting against him either. He told her before she fell asleep that he was fine with her resting against him like that. He hadn't just changed his mind while they rested. "How is that injury of yours feeling? Does it still hurt," Raphael asked.

Selena smiled softly. "Ahh, it is still a bit sore, is all. No need to worry." she replied in an upbeat tone. She didn't want him worrying about her so much, so she described the pain in an understatement. It was actually still quite tender, but it was recovering...slowly. She couldn't help but feel gracious about how much he cared for her physical and mental comfort. She looked upwards to his eyes. "You've done more than enough for me, really. Is there anything you would like me to do for you? You know, to return the favor? Want me to get some food or water or something?" she questioned genuinely. She wanted him to know that she cared for him too, in more ways than one.

Raphael had half the mind to actually press down on the injury to see if Selena was being honest with him or not, but decided against doing so. It would just be too mean. But, if it still felt sore, he didn't want Selena moving around too much. Not until she could stand up and walk around without recoiling from feeling some kind of pain. Until then, he wouldn't ask a thing of her. "No, that's okay, I'll get it myself. I still don't want you moving around too much, I'm worried that you might hurt yourself again. Do you want something? A water, some soda, some kind of snack," he asked. He wasn't ungrateful that she asked him if he needed anything, but he was still too concerned about her to ask her to do something for him when he was perfectly able to do for himself.

Selena sighed softly. "Hmm...some water would be nice, actually. But..I mean...I can get it myself.." she replied with a reassuring smile. In all her life, she was never one to be served to or pampered on. The concept was very new for her to experience. She didn't want to worry Raphael, though...he seemed to care so much for her. It just didn't add up in her mind. Why would he go out of his way to make sure of her safety when it would be difficult for him alone to survive? Why didn't he just leave her behind? The thought of his kindness brought tears to well up in her eyes. Through Raphael, she could see how humans could change so drastically- from being a ruthless PRAT soldier to the caring and honorable man he was today.

She moved one of her hands up to her face to wipe away her welled up eyes, laying her head back down to his chest. She felt so honored to befriend such a person...she was extremely lucky. God makes even the worst situations bearable...

Raphael wouldn't hear of her getting anything. She was to sit down and rest. That was it. Nothing more and nothing less. After slowly sliding from under her, he took a trip into the back of both of the trucks. He grabbed two bottles of water and two sodas, then picked up as much food as he could carry and headed back into the truck. He took a seat beside Selena in the back allowing the food that he was holding to spill onto the floor in front of him. Even though Selena hadn't mentioned anything about food, but he got enough for her to eat up as well. He handed her a bottle of water and opened a bottle of Sprite and took a drink. It was nice to be able to enjoy something like this despite their circumstances.

All of a sudden, she was tearing up and he wasn't quite sure he understood why. Women still confused him, more so than they confused normal guys. Whatever it was, she didn't seem too upset. Raphael wrapped an arm around her middle and and gave her a slight, supportive squeeze. He didn't know what he should say or do now.

Selena sat up on her knees, taking the bottle into her hands and drinking a good sip. "Thanks for getting all of this!" she replied happily, grabbing a bag of dried fruit slices. When he wrapped his arm around her middle, she looked upwards to his eyes, as if to show him that she was all better. "Oh um...just had a..um..bit of dust in my eye..." she was a horrible liar, so after taking a few drinks of her water, she wrapped one arm around his shoulders. "Thanks for being here and letting me keep up with you and everything...I really appreciate it." With that, she leaned in and gave him a kiss...on the lips. Something Selena had never ever done before to a guy. The kiss was quick and sweet, her arm dropped off of his shoulder and into her lap, and she avoided eye contact with blushed cheeks. "I..uh..I'm sorry.." why did she kiss him?! Why?! Now, in this situation?! She wasn't making sense to herself anymore...maybe that is what love does to a person.

Raphael was clearly taken aback. Selena. . .well. . .he hadn't been expecting her to do something like that!

This was the fourth day since the bombs destroyed the town. They had been together ever since then, luckily, getting along with one another rather well. And even though she found out about his dark past, she was still able to trust in him enough not to freak out and attempt to attack him. But for her to snake an arm around his shoulders and kiss him on this lips? That was like being hit with a ball from the stands in the middle of a baseball game! How did he feel about it? Honestly. . .it made him happy that she had done so. "

No, it's okay, you don't have to apologize. I actually. . .enjoyed it," he said softly. Somehow, through all of this craziness, and after getting to know Selena better, he was actually beginning to think that maybe he did like her. If asked, he wouldn't be able to answer for sure just yet, but he definitely wanted to see how things developed between the two of them. He just wished that it hadn't happened in this situation.

Selena felt as if she had sinned when she kissed him. She was suprised herself! In a sense, giving him a kiss was another sign that she trusted him. Still avoiding eye contact, Selena looked down at the food in her hand, not so hungry anymore. Setting the bag aside, she drank a few sips of water. "U..um...well..I'm glad you enjoyed it." she replied, a soft smile on her face. A mere biology student who hunted and practiced archery and softball...with a engineering student who had been a kid PRAT soldier...nah, that could never happen...could it? He probably had a girlfriend anyway, and probably many women who laid eyes on him.

Whil her thoughts were rather sad, she tried to keep a somewhat happy face.

Who was there to say that it couldn't happen? That this former PRAT soldier turned engineering student couldn't fall in love with a biology student who hunted, practiced archery, and played softball? As far as he was concerned, Selena was normal. Stable. She wasn't some crazy killer turned normal person. She wasn't someone who was just looking to get with an attractive guy. She had gotten to know at least something about him before she kissed him. She even knew his deepest, darkest secret and still she was. . .able to feel enough for him to do that. Who else out there could know that he was once a member of the homicidal maniacs who blew up a city and yet still be able to be so. . .okay with being around him? He couldn't think of anyone.

Anyone other than Selena that was.

Before this, Raphael hadn't had a girlfriend. He hadn't even had anyone he was interested in. He wasn't in a place in his life where he would want to be with just anyone, he wanted to find something that he could connect with and be happy with. So far, the only person that he felt truly connected to was the person that he was with right here and right now. His arms tightened around her slightly, his head lowering down onto her shoulder. He was truly happy right now, in this situation, in this place, with this person.

Selena blushed a bit as his arms tightened around her. They were so strong and protective; something she longed for in a situation like this. She moved one hand up to his cheek, lightly caressing it. This guy...he was different. He wasn't a shallow prep who cared about the name brand of his clothing, he wasn't a jock who only cared about working out and making his physical image unrealistically the best...Raphael was...real. Down to earth, and incredibly true. She couldn't think of a better person to be in this situation with.

If they could survive this...they could easily survive the real world together...right?

Raphael didn't even know what brand of clothing most of his wardrobe was. So long as it looked decent and didn't hurt his eyes, he wore it. As for his physical appearance? He thought he looked average. Not particularly good looking, but not bad looking either. He was pretty much all around. . .average. What you saw was what you got. Well, other than the fact that he had been thoroughly trained to kill large amounts of people at the same time. There was only one time that he tried to dodge a question, and that was when she asked him about how he knew about how to use firearms and fight so well. Rather than tell her he used to be in PRAT, he told her he had a rough childhood. That wasn't exactly a lie. It was true. . .just. . .not the whole truth.

Still. Raphael was a good person and he was trying to do his best to stay that good person. Selena was helping him do that. If they worked through this and survived , he would be more than happy to remain at her side. "You should eat something now," he said softly.

Selena smiled, slowly pulling herself out of his hug. She knelt down, picking up the half-empty bag of dried fruit pieces, showing him. "See, I already ate some of these." she replied in an upbeat tone, "I'm fine, really." She reassurred him.

She offered him the bag of dried fruit. "These are kinda good, plus they help us absorb some of the nutrients we may be lacking because of not getting enough sunlight." she stated, her voice scientific. Somehow, all she had learned in her biology-related classes had helped out after all. "One thing worries me...the day this whole mess occurred, I didn't see or hear any birds. If it was bad enough to effect even the birds..." she winced, knowing that the destruction must've been extensive.

Raphael didn't know about the whole lack of sunlight and nutrients thing. The mechanical sciences were more of his specialty, not the biological ones. If such was the case, he would probably need to be eating more of those dried fruits himself. Rather than going for the kind of things that would no doubt put him in a early coma, he reached for a bag of the same fruits that Selena had been eating and opened them up. As he began to eat, Selena commented on birds. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't seen any wildlife - not even bugs - since before the bombs went off. Even if he wasn't well versed in biological sciences, he knew enough to know that such was a BAD sign. A very bad sign.

"I. . .almost want to risk going topside, just so I can get a good idea of our current situation but I'm worried that I might be spotted. And you're still not in tip-top shape. Even if you put a vest on, if something hit your side you'd practically be crippled," Raphael said softly.

Selena shifted her weight onto one of her legs comfortably. She nodded in agreement with him. "Yeah...I'd hate to be in that state!" she admitted, one hand moved up to scratch her forehead.

At that moment, Selena looked upwards. The sound of helicopter propellers was increasing in volume by the minute, and then there was an extremely loud crash. "Oh no...not again!" Cracks cut across the ceiling and before either of them could react, the ceiling had fallen through, all of the debris falling down through the ceiling. A large piece of concrete struck Selena in the back of the head, making her fall down onto her side. She was out cold.

The last thing she saw was the warm sunlight pouring through the hole, hearing the helicopter's noises and the sounds of voices...were they from PRAT?

Raphael was surprised by the sudden explosion that rocked the hub. He instinctively pulled Selena closer in an attempt to shield her body with his own. Before he could bring her close enough, debris fell through the roof of the building and struck her in the back of the head knowing her out cold. Light suddenly flooded the hub and the sound of a helicopters propellers echoed through the small, crater like opening. Raphael grabbed a rifle and a pair of pistols. He tucked the pistols into the back of his pants, then hopped down with the assault rifle and aimed up at the sky. The light from the helicopter was making it really hard to see if it were friend or foe that were landing. His heart nearly stopped when he saw that it was a World Government Rescue chopper. They were saved.

A few hours later. . .

Raphael was sitting next to the bed where Selena was resting. She had received the proper medical attention that she needed for both her rib injury and her head injury. He was waiting for the moment that she opened her eyes so he could tell her the good news. They had been rescued and they were safe. There were a few cities that had been hit by the bombs that PRAT planted, but the organization was on the run for the most part now. The most important thing right now was the fact that they were both out of the danger zone and back in a safe area.

Selena's head pounded. Her grandpa always used to tell her, "When you can feel pain, you're still not in heaven, hun!" She sure felt that pain. That meant she was either alive...or down below. As she came to, she blinked a few times, trying to focus on the simple objects around the room. She was in a rather dazed and confused state, hearing the pattern of diferent beeps from the medical machines next to her. I must be in a hospital or something... she thought, taking time to slowly wake up. She moved her head over to the person who was sitting next to her bed. It was Raphael! She offered him a slight smile. "Where..why would PRAT bring us to a hospital...where would they find such an untouched building...how..." she replied in a tired and soft tone, her inquizitive nature getting the best of her.

"No, not PRAT. We were found by the World Government Military. We were found, and we've been rescued. We're outside of the blast zone of the bombs that went off in the city. We're safe," Raphael said, reaching out to take one of her hands into his own. To be able to tell her such news felt great. They were alive, they would be okay. The World Military troops had already moved into the area's and they were sweeping through them over and over again to comb for survivors and take out any of the PRAT soldiers.

"This is a hospital in the neighboring town. It's being used to treat survivors from where we were. There were a few other people who survived as well. They. . .aren't in as good of a shape. You took a nasty blow to the head and have a bit of a concussion, but the doctors said you should be alright. They've taken care of your rib injury too. In a few days, you'll be back to normal."

The brightest most happiest smile appeared on Selena's face, her eyes lighting up. She squeezed his hand, a loud sigh escaping her lips, as if the weight of the world had been lifted clear off of her shoulders. "I can't believe it...we..we actually made it!" She replied, an excited tone to her voice.

But then it occurred to her about the severity of the PRAT attacks. "Only a few survivors?" she said, rather softly. She knew if she was in the hospital like this, her family and friends would have come to see her by now. She knew the outcome of what had happened to them, and the thought of losing so many people at once was heartbreaking. "My family..my friends..your family and friends...where...where are they" she asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

She had some family in a neighboring city, as well as some frends, but most of her family and friends had resided in the same city that they had survived in..and she knew most of them were dead, but she didn't want to realize it.

Raphael leaned down into the bed and wrapped his arms around Selena tightly. Yes, it was true, there were only a few survivors out of the entire city. At least a few who had been found. It must have hurt for Selena to think about her family and her friends. Raphael's family and friends? They were all dead. He knew it, and he mourned their lost. If she took a good look at him, she would see that his eyes were red-rimmed. Now that all of the weight was falling onto their shoulders, and the realization of how real the situation was, was finally hitting them. It was. . .this was a bittersweet situation.

"Even though. . .they say that there are more survivors out there, the total number of people who actually lived through the attacks is going to be. . .small. Very small when compared to the number of people who lived there. Selena, I'm sorry but. . .those important people are most likely. . ." Raphael couldn't bring himself to finish his statement.

Selena's hands fell upon his back, her eyes darting back and forth across his face with worry as he spoke. She noticed that he had been crying as well. Slamming her eyes shut, she fought back the tears. "At..at least they're all in a place that's without PRAT now...a wonderful peaceful place, withou hurt or pain or tears..." she replied, wishing she could join them in heaven. She sighed, silently crying into his shoulder. "I..I'm sorry for getting your shirt all wet.." she said softly, looking down at the damp spot where she had cried.

She looked about the room. "Where are my shoes? When can I leave? We have to help search for survivors...maybe some of our friends and relatives are still alive..see look my rib and head, they are fine.." she stated, clearly talking out of her head. She just loved her family and friends too much, wanting to do anything to get them back.

That was the thought that kept him going - his friends and loved ones were all in a better place, in a world without those who believe that others needed to die for the good of other people. They would be fine, but for those left behind? This was a very tough situation to deal with. Their pain and sorrow would be with them for a long time. Moving on would not be easy, but it had to be done. He didn't care that her tears soaked through his shirt, but what he heard after the apology she offered concerned him. Selena saw a glimmer of hope that someone either of them knew could still be alive after what happened and was now grasping at that hope as if her life depended on it.

"Selena, would you calm down? You have a concussion, you don't need to be up and running around," he said softly.

Back
Top Bottom