Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Lady in the Streets? (Gray x Nurse)

Nurse_K

Pulsar
Ellie was a simple girl. Her family was poor and in debt so the girl never saw hind nor hair of a gift in her life. She got a new dress every six months and that was mostly just so that her parents could keep her looking semi-suitable for a commoner man who decided he wanted her though. Ellie wasn't ugly by any means, but her family had no dowry to offer and so many men just scoffed. Dowries were still very popular among the common folk in Victorian England, though they consisted mostly of housewares and linens rather than jewels and clothes.

Ellie had a nice body, or as nice as it could be for having been undernourished her entire life. She had a nice set of hips, ideal for bearing children, as well as fairly good thighs. Her butt was voluptuous and she had a nice set of breasts as well (though not as nice as rich women who had the luxury of drinking a lot of milk). Her hair was dark brown and usually kept up in a knot on her head. She had honey brown eyes and they shone whenever she ate well.

She had heard that her parents were going to sell her to try to get out of debt. She wasn't happy about this, though she couldn't say that she blamed her parents. They had gotten themselves in deep and besides, she didn't want to stay with them. It was only when she learned that she was being sold to the traveling noble that she got really upset.

((Just want to say, I LOVE you choice of name ^^ one of my favorites.))

It was an uncannily hot day. Had there been nothing else happening, this was likely all that Martin would have remembered. As it was, the average height noble had a much more interesting thing to think about this day. He was a fairly thin man, lean muscles rather then bulky. His hair was of medium length, a wheat blond color with a swept back look to it. His eyes, a bright clear blue, shone out with a piercing light, and he was dressed, uncomfortably so, in the clothes expected of his stature.

However, for all this, Martin was looking forward to this meeting. A man and wife who had been under his debt for some time had offered, instead of the meager sum they owed, their only daughter instead. First of course, he intended to see what sort of child this girl was, for he knew nothing of her, not even her age, and thus, he exited his carriage, striding to the door of the small hut and rapping sharply upon the door.

Smiling lightly, he awaited his answer and prepared himself for the encounter. Something, a sense of instinct perhaps, told him there was good fortune to be had here.

Ellie heard the rap on the door and knew her supposed future husband was here. Her mother ran over to her and fussed with her hair, but Ellie waved her off. "Stop, mother." she muttered, "You fussing at me isn't going to change what I am." Ellie swished to the door in her new gown (her parents had just happened to buy her six month gown that weekend). It was a pale pink color with a high collar and long sleeves, very fashionable. It was tight in the bodice, accentuating her bosom even more. She opened the door and saw the nobleman standing there.

She wanted to spit in his face, but she thought that might be the wrong course of action to take just now. She stepped back from the door and motioned him in, "Good day, Mr. Martin," she said to him with false cordiality in her voice.

Upon seeing the girl for the first time, Martin knew he had made a wise decision in agreeing to come here. As it was his job, he noticed the scorn she held under control, and the slight tenseness of her voice, which, contrary to how most might have reacted, only spread the grin upon his face all the wider. giving a slight bow, he entered. "And lovely returns to you as well Miss Ellie." He greeted, offering an amused smile.

Stepping into the house, he took a moment to examine her properly, settling into his act of routine among the people. "Shall we sit then? I apologize in advance for any unwieldiness in this matter, for I must admit, it is not quite a business I am all that familiar with." Speaking to the girls mother now, thinking already of how best to judge the character of this girl, in the amount of time he had to spend here.

"Of course, Mr. Martin, sir." her mother said hurriedly, ushering Ellie towards the table. Ellie rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath but she didn't refuse just yet. Nothing had really been done yet, it could be construed that Mr. Martin was simply there for a visit and nothing more. She couldn't have an effective outburst when he could just pretend he wasn't there for her in the first place. She sat at the table and slouched her shoulders, fully aware that that was something noblewomen never did. Ellie wanted to make herself as unappealing to Mr. Martin as she possibly could in hopes that he would just leave her alone.

Once they were at the table Ellie just stared at the man. She didn't try to start conversation (what could she possibly speak to him about?), she didn't offer him anything (what was there to offer? she was being sold to pay off debt as it was!), and she most certainly did not go out of her way to make sure he was comfortable.

Once at the table, Martin assumed his position, informing Ellie's mother that they would be quite all right, and that he would like some time to talk with her daughter.

As it was however, no talking occurred for quite some time, for now, he simply sat, a pleasant smile on his face, and watched her, using the time given to think through any response to likely statements. There was a purpose to his being here, one greater then he would admit to her, perhaps in time, but not now, no, that would not do at all. Already, he had decided he would take her, not because he found her attractive, which he did, or because he desired a companion on his travels, which he also did, but above all, because what he wanted, was a challenge. This one, right off the bat he could tell, was a strong willed one, one of great personal pride and stubbornness. To force one such as her into submission, not only would it bring him a personal satisfaction, if he could do this, then he could be sure his skills in such matter were enough for what he had in mind for the future.

So for now, he merely stared, eyes never wavering from her gaze.

Ellie tried to keep her staring steady. She tried to beat him in this silent contest, but he seemed absolutely waverless. His eyes never twitched, his lids never shuddered. He seemed to be able to stare endlessly without blinking. She finally had to blink and turned her head away, blinking several times to rewet her eyes. She finally turned back to him and sighed dramatically, leaning back in her chair and folding her hands in her lap.

"Mr. Martin, if you're just going to stare at me I am going to have to excuse myself. I have housework to attend to, I have no servants to do it for me," she said bitterly, slighting him purposely. She really did have work to do but her mother had explicitly ordered her not to touch it until Mr. Martin had left for the night.

Trying not to let his grin spread at her words, he calmly and politely, (for her mother was still likely within earshot as it were) spoke in return to her. "I have not been home for at lest a fair month or so now." He noted, not adding any inflection of malice to it. "As you may have herd, life is filled with strife as of late, what with the aftermath of the war..." Trailing off, he shook his head, knowing that was a matter to bring up right now.

"In any case, it has been a busy time for diplomats and men of political sway such as myself." He closed. In truth, he had spoken no lies thus far, it was as he said, his time had been spent traveling from place to place recently, negotiating treaties among still rebellious factions, opening trade routes and the like. Finally, at last, he laid his claim out to bear. "I'm sure you already know, but your parents are suffering from quite the debt aren't they?" This phrase, so closely after bringing up how hard the times had fallen, was entirely purposeful. "And I believe they had devised a rather... different, form of payment, namely, you." Still not claiming her, he only set it forth as a question.

Ellie set her teeth in a tight clench as Martin began speaking. He was trying to justify her being sold to him with news that times were bad for everyone. If times were so bad, then why was he dressed so nicely? Why did he wear silken jackets? Why did he maneuver in a first-rate carriage? Times did not seem so bad to her, especially not if he could afford to buy off a young girl instead of receiving actual money as payment. Her eyes gradually darkened the more he spoke, having reached their darkest point when he finally brought up his purpose.

"My parents have devised such a form of payment, yes." she said, her voice dripping with the poison of resentment. "However, I do not believe that form of payment is going to be as lucrative as you think. Money would be much more worth your while," she knew she was not doing her parents any favors by resisting this. Her father actually stepped out of the kitchen towards where they were sitting. "Now, Elsa..." he began.

Smiling at her words, for they only confirmed she was exactly what he wanted, Martin, made no move to act as she spoke against him. As her father stopped her from further action, the lord calmly went along with what he had been saying. "Do you truly believe I need any more money? Ah you may think me a greedy lord, but it is a necessary thing for those in my position. Yes even the clothes serve a purpose, of course..." Pausing here, he decided to save any explanation for later. Setting his hand down on the table he looked her straight in the eyes once more.

"Of course... if you don't believe me, why not find out for yourself?" Letting the words hang in the air for a moment, just long enough, before continuing. "In any case, you don't have much choice in the matter." Leaning back from his bent forward posture, he lit up a hearty smile.

Ellie was absolutely seething. She turned her head and glared at her father who opened his mouth to speak again but her mother hurried up behind him and dragged him back into the kitchen so that her daughter and husband would not start one of their horrible fights that they seemed to have so often. Ellie huffed and crossed her arms in front of her chest, turning back to look at Mr. Martin. The man was so smug, so confident in himself. He believed that he had all the power in the world over Ellie. She would prove him wrong.

"I suppose you're right," she said, mock resignation in her voice, "I don't have much choice. I have to go with you. I don't, however, have to do as you say. Not all servants are efficient or dutiful. I don't plan to be either."

Watching her anger develop, Martin was torn between provoking her further, or trying to smooth things over. Shaking his head both at himself and at her words, he gave a light laugh and held up his hand helplessly. "Well... We'll see." Was all he said, and then stopped his laughter, though a faint smile still linger upon his face. "So I tale it we have a deal then? He asked, wondering if she intended to fight even leaving with him.

Looking into the room where her parents waited, he motioned for them to come in. "It seems your daughter has agreed take on your debt under the form of her accompanying me." He announced, before giving her time to respond to his earlier words.

She'd opened her mouth to say no, no they didn't have a deal. What they had was her being forced to go with him. But he was speaking to her parents already, who looked elated that the deal was going well. God damn her parents. They'd gotten themselves into debt and now they were making her pay for it, literally.

She shot her parents a look and then turned and shot the same to Mr. Martin. "Accompany you. If that's what you want to call it," she sneered, her fists clenched tightly, though it couldn't be seen as her arms were crossed and her fists were hidden. "I don't have anything to bring with me," as she stood up and purposely let the chair tip behind her, "I'm poor."

At her last statement, he simple gave a wry grin and shrugged. "And I'm not." Pausing for a beat before resuming. "Works out rather well doesn't it? You needn't bring anything with you, in any case." Truthfully this was not a problem for him, as she already knew, he had more then enough to finance the two of them.

Turning to her parents, he nodded pleasantly enough. "You have a very generous daughter, who would do this for you, my thanks to all of you." He said, bowing his head lightly for a moment. However, whatever he might say, he was eager to be off, so he could drop the guise of the politician and begin work on his new... project.

Yes, he was rich and she was poor. They were seemingly perfect. He would take care of her, give her what she needed, and she would serve him. Except that she wanted nothing less than to serve him. She hated him and that hate was growing with every passing second. Her mother rushed at her and tried to fling her arms around Ellie, seemingly sad that her daughter was leaving.

"Don't touch me, mother." Ellie snapped evilly. At this her mother's face dropped and she stepped back, tears welling up in her eyes. "Don't pretend to be sad. It's your fault I'm leaving. If you weren't so frivolous and useless at finances, I might actually be able to lead a decent life." then her eyes snapped back to Mr. Martin. She was ready to leave this place.

Smiling amiably at the minor spat between the two women, he shrugged his shoulders at her words, coming to a stand soon after. "Very well then, might as well not tarry any longer then needed." And with that and turned about, stopping at the door one final time to incline his head to the girl's parents. "My thank again, for your generous repayment." He said, and without another word, he was gone from their lives. The girl however... Her life was only going to become much more interesting from this point on.

Walking to his carriage, he let his driver open the door for him, moving aside to let Ellie enter first, smiling all the while as he did so, acting out the perfect gentleman, which of course served an ulterior purpose, there was always more to his actions then it seemed, as she would soon learn.

Ellie stomped out of her parents' house, mostly to get away from them and not so much to be alone with Mr. Martin. She could already tell her life with him was going to be hell. He was a traveling nobleman which meant that he stayed in his carriage and at various mansions along his journey, staying with other noblemen that invited him. That meant that every place they stayed she was going to have to become friendly with the servants there as she'd be expected to do everything she would at his house. She'd have to get his breakfast, his lunch, his dinner. She'd have to press his clothes, help him dress, get his baths ready. All of things she detested doing at her own home.

She stepped into the carriage and scooted herself all the way over to the window. She gathered her gown up around her and humphed, looking out the window immediately. She hoped he wouldn't try to strike up conversation with her, that would be irritating.

Climbing in after her, Lord Martin told his driver that he was done here, and then promptly shut the door behind himself, closing the curtain on the single window so that the only light came through a glass in the ceiling. Sitting opposite her in the small cozy carriage, he was silent a while, letting her think though things for a moment before deciding to try to press anything.

At last however, he spoke, a light amused grin upon his face. "Do you really expect your little act of dignity to stay? How much power do you really think you have over your life now?" His diplomatic voice was gone, replaced now with one of dry wit and light amusement. Smirking at her, he rested his chin upon a hand, looking intently at her, already forming ideas of how to best bow her to his will and dominance.

She slid her eyes over to his when he began to taunt her. She gave him an angry glare but did not say anything until she had completely formed what she wanted to say, lest she blurt out something embarrassing. She sat up straight and moved away from the window, resting her back against the cushioned seat. Her lips were pursed and her face was colorless, there were no rosy cheeks of joy or flushed red from excitement. Even her lips had begun to pale now that she was done displaying her anger.

"I will act as a servant. I will clean, I will cook. I will do nothing more than that. If I perform those base duties than I am being an efficient and dutiful servant." she said dryly, hoping that those were the only things he was going to expect of her.

Smiling in an amused fashion, he listened to her little speech, wondering if perhaps now would be an appropriate time to begin her breaking. Perhaps, but not this minute, he decided, leaning back himself as he spoke. "Hmm, I wonder if that really all you expect to do.." He mused, shaking his head, then, turned about, he pulled open a small cabinet under the seat he sat upon, removing a small bottle of wine from it's compartment. And two glasses afterwords.

"In any case.." He said, "Lets have a toast to this day, what do you think?" Already pouring the glasses, something not easy in a moving carriage, but the road they were on was fairly smooth for the time. Her glass however, the one he handed to her now, was a little different from his, for lined on the bottom was a crushed residue he had purchased when he found he was going to be picking her up. This, he decided, would be a wonderful way to welcome her.

She took the glass and stared at it for a moment. She narrowed her eyes and then held the glass back to him. "Thank you for the offer, Mr. Martin, but I'm afraid I'm not much of a wine drinker. I'm a lightweight, you see." she didn't think that telling him that it didn't take much wine to get her drunk would be much of an issue because she was refusing to drink his wine. If she refused now, she would always refuse.

Besides, she felt strange about drinking wine he was giving her. She watched him pour the glasses herself so there wasn't anyway that he could spike it, but still. She didn't trust him.

Raising his eyebrows at her, Martin paused a moment and then shrugged, taking a sip from his own glass before frowning down at it, sighing mildly and setting it down upon the small ledge of the window. keeping a hand on it's base to stop it from spilling. "I'm afraid being the only one drinking in the company of others doesn't suit me." He said with a small shrug, before smliing once again, looking back up to her.

"Enough of idle banter though, do tell me, whats going through your mind right now?" He asked, both curious to know thew answer, and to see if there was anything useful he could derive from her words.

That made her even more suspicious. If he didn't want to drink anymore then he was obviously trying to get something out of her. Hmph. She shrugged back at him and leaned back against the seat of the carriage. "What's going through my mind?" she repeated, a little bit boldly. Hmm.

"I've never been away from my parents before. I've never been anywhere, actually." her face twisted a little bit then and she realized just how nervous she was to be going away from home.

Giving a light chuckle he nodded his head, having figured as much. "Exited?" He asked, teasing her with the rhetorical question. After a moment, he finally spoke once more, in earnest this time. "Actually, you really should consider it, your about to start a life that many people in the world would envy, if only you would wise up and think of it in such positive light."

To be honest, he was a little surprised at how upset she seemed, of course she had just been taken from her parents, but still, her reaction was a little harsher then most people would tend to be. Still, he supposed that only improved the challenge of it.

Excited? He thought she should be excited? "Sorry if I'm not terribly thrilled about being taken away against my will. I doubt that many would envy being an indentured servant." she sighed and glanced at the glass of wine again before slowly picking it up and staring at it up close. She heaved a sigh and tipped the glass to her lips, taking a sip. Maybe she was being a little too harsh.

Back
Top Bottom