Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Certain Doom, Interrupted (Methos and Autumn)

Androkles smiled to her as he observed “Well as fetching a sacrifice as you make in that white shroud, I dare say its not the sort of thing a princess usually is seen walking around in.” His eyes seemed to twinkle slightly as he noted “Although I still think you should keep it.” The prince had managed to strap on his sandals and then his grieves, shining bronze thus covered his shins. “Don’t think ill of Alcaeus because of how he acts.” He grinned slightly “His attitude drives my father apoplectic with rage. But he is one of oldest and truest friends. Naturally he expects that means he can get away with just about anything short of treason.” He laughed as he noted “Good swordsman though.”

The prince could tell the joy that fine clothing and jewellery brought Ambrosia. So much so that he shoved aside the sneaking suspicion that he likely had paid a small fortune to get such things on the shortest of notices. Rather he gazed at the beaming girl he was soon to have as his bride and simply smiled. “I’m glad they meet with you’re approval.” His eyes were soon thoroughly fascinated with watching her bathe. The manner in which water slide down along her body seemed to be one of the most interesting things he had ever observed.

Thus he hadn’t managed to put on too much more armour by the time she was dressed and stood before him asking him to slip the necklace around her neck. He nodded as he took the silver necklace into his large hand. He slipped behind her and brought the amethyst necklace to her through and his fingers slipped beneath her hair as he clasped it into place. He turned her around back towards him slowly as his dark eyes look down upon her. “You look beautiful my love.” He stated and then leaned in to kiss her upon the lips. He grinned and playfully suggested “My brother shall want to know how I went off to find a princess and returned with Aphrodite herself.”

His hand idly traced over her side but he managed to pull himself away from her, however, tempted he was to take her out of that lovely silk dress now that she’d gone to the trouble of putting it on. Somewhat more diligently he set about garbing himself in armour, his tunic and bronzed skin soon being covered in that heavy layer of bronze armour. First strips of studded leather were belted to his waist, which hung down over his tunic to cover his legs between his waist and his knees. Thereafter, the shaped breastplate of bronze was pulled onto his torso. The gleaming bronze itself was shaped to resemble that muscular torso. His forearms were armoured with bronze vambraces and his sword was then belted to his waist.

The rust coloured cloak of Thessaly was pulled to his shoulders and thereafter, he strapped his bronze shield to one arm. His helm was left by its lonesome as his locks of black hair trailed down to meet the cloak at his shoulders. He struck a pose in jest and inquired “Suitably heroic?” He asked with a smile crossing his lips as he suggested “Now I believe half of Ceos is supposed to be waiting to get a look at us.” He chuckled as he noted “So we’d best make our way to the top of the ship, lest we make them all loiter in the sun to no end.”

“You’ll like my brother Seleukos. He has a dry sense. Although he tries to be rather dutiful to our country and parents. Naturally he thinks half of my plans are ridiculous and foolhardy, but he’s had to concede a large number of those foolish ventures have succeeded far beyond any of his expectations.” He grinned as he noted “No doubt he half thought he might wind up being king when I went chasing after you.” With that said he started towards the door and then headed towards the deck of the ship.

When the cool feel of metal braced her neck, her soft hand reached up to gently finger it. Its weight was hefty and strong, each facet of the stone carving themselves into her flesh as she brushed her fingertips across it. When he turned her to face him, her eyes met his with an expression that spoke of nervous anticipation. For some reason, being dressed in such lavish clothing- garb that was indeed fit for a queen- made it only more realistic to her. She had always known she would become Queen of Aegina someday, but she had thought she would be old and graying when that time came. Never in her wildest dreams did she anticipating uniting two great lands like this. His compliment brought a smile to the lips he kissed, though it didn't manage to wipe the anxiety from her expression. "I fear your brother will be curious as to why you have brought back a bride instead of a princess to be delivered to her own brother."

She thought that his straying hand may lead to something else entirely, though they clearly didn't have any more time for leisure. They were both due before a crowd and several men who would be wholly confused by what had happened on this ship. Perhaps Androkles' brother and father, knowing his rebellious personality, would not be surprised by him coupling with the princess and planning to make her his bride but she knew Kleitos would not expect it. His sister was extremely level-headed, though he knew her to be the true child of Aphrodite. Perhaps when the quest was made for a dashing prince to rescue her, he did anticipate that he would return with her own his arm and her heart in his palm.

She moved to sit down in the chair they had just occupied, her back straight to execute poise and grace. Eyes streamed over him, observing him while he dressed himself in his armor. He seemed to don it with pride, taking his time to ensure every little individual piece was thoroughly latched in place. He was a proud man, that was certain, but it was an admirable quality when looked at from this light. "Oh, Androkles, all the maidens waiting for you shall be fawning all over you. How shall I ever continue to captivate your attention when there will be so many of them competing for it? Please, make sure you do not drift too far from my side or they may dispose of me once and for all!" She teased, her laughter filling the room.

When he posed as a hero, she clapped her hands together in a single motion. "Oh, yes, very. I shall have no trouble convincing the crowd I was the damsel in distress and you my noble hero." She stood, walking over to him now. Her arms looped about his waist, her mouth finding his in a fleeting kiss. "Suddenly, I believe you have taken on the role as Hercules and become the son of Zeus, my love. But you are right, we should not keep them waiting any longer. I wish to address your crew if I may. I would like to thank them for making the long journey to see me brought home safely."

When he spoke of his brother, she nodded. "I hope to make a rather good impression upon him and your father. You needn't worry about Kleitos, though. He is such a kind and gentle man. I know he will embrace you well." With that, she took his hand and let him lead her out of their small chamber and toward the upper decks.

“Ambrosia, he has but to lay eyes upon you to know why I would desire you. And I should think that within moments of speaking with you, he would know why I should wish to have you as my wife. “ He smiled to her and observed “No one could fail to see what a kind, gentle, clever, strong and thoroughly enchanting creature you are.” Androkles grinned to her as he noted “After all I’m thoroughly charmed how could any other fail to be?”

Like as not his future bride had the right of it that no one whom knew him well would be terribly surprised that the headstrong and fiery prince would leave in search of a princess and return having taken the woman to his bed and set upon making her his wife. For all that she was a child of Aphrodite, he in turn seemed very much a scion of Ares. Strong of limb and in resolution, with speed in his passions. Yet unlike that stern and angry god, the jovial nature of that particular god’s father seemed to soften his character.

Androkles winked to her as she teased him that he should be beset by maidens now striving for his attentions and he rather airily “They are no more than candles and surely you are the sun.” He simply laughed as she conveyed she’d have no trouble convincing others that he was the noble hero. He shook his head slightly as he noted “Were I to look the part of Hercules I should think I need a lion pelt and a large club.” He grinned impishly as he noted “But perhaps I stand in a good second for Achilles or Theseus.”

He took her hand within his own, strong calloused digits slid over that soft skin as they headed up the stairs towards the sunbathed form of the ship’s deck. The scattered mass of Thessilian soldiers cheered and were soon drowned out by the onlookers upon the shore, native citizens of Cios, and those whom had fled the wrath of these foreign sea people alike. The prince’s dark eyes gaze out at the crowd of people and seemingly they required some form of acknowledgement hence he raise his fist into the air to a roar of approval.

Seleukos had evidently made his way to the deck of the ship. For their was no confusing the matter that he was Androkles brother. His hair was a shade or two lighter in its colour and his form less broad at the shoulders and he gave an inch or two in height to his elder brother, but the resemblance was striking in their features. Now armoured like his brother he stepped towards his kind and Androkles similarly approached him and with extended arms the two embraced. Seleukos idly remarked “Brother was ever a man more well loved by the gods than you?”

For as he embraced his brother the younger prince had laid his eyes upon the princess. Dark orbs appraised her briefly as he noted in a bemused tone “They would have you fall into a well and emerge with handfuls of silver having discovered buried treasure.” He clapped his brother upon the shoulder to a laugh from Androkles who responded “So you ever take to reminding me.” He stepped back towards Ambrosia and remarked “This is Ambrosia, princess of Aegina and future queen of Thessaly. Ambrosia my brother Seleukos.”

“Future queen of Thessaly eh? The female contingent of the court shall go into mourning brother. Here I thought none would tempt you from living your life like one constant Bacchanalia but apparently I stand corrected.” Seleukos simply grinned as he winked to Ambrosia and noted “I’ve no idea what spell you’ve cast over him but it seems a most powerful magic indeed.”

Seleukos smiled as he noted “I suppose I had best bid you welcome to the family then. Once my brother has made up his mind there is very little anyone can do to change it.” Although turning to his brother he noted “You know very well father won’t like you marrying without having consulted him about it.” Androkles simply offered him a grin as he noted “I know.” His brother shook his head as though far too used to it. “I rounded up the local poets for you. All quite eager to put your exploits to song and verse, make sure they have the details correct and we’ll send them to Larissa, Athens, Corinth and Sparta. Once they set off to burnish your name and father can revel in your reputation, the fact you got yourself married will seem a minor detail.”

Androkles turned to Ambrosia and with some appearance of modesty noted “I suppose we had best ensure they have the right of the details. As people seem to insist on talking about the matter one way or another.” He leaned in and kissed her lightly upon the cheek. “Although I think even the meanest poet couldn’t fail to convey how I rescued the most beautiful woman to grace the earth since Helen.”

Ambrosia didn't need to be told that there were women back home waiting for him for her to already know it was true. He wasn't without a lack of choices for brides, of that she was certain. As he was a prince, it was probable that his father had already arranged a wife for him who would suit him much better than Ambrosia ever could. All the same, the compliments brought an overwhelmingly amount of color to her cheeks. "Oh, Androkles, you never cease in flattering me. If you don't stop, my ego shall be as big as yours!" She teased, giggling as she leaned in against him. "I really don't think the gods would be pleased if the balance was set off by a couple with egos as big as Olympus!" Her eye closed in a playful wink, her lips reaching up to stroke against his temple.

"Let us hope you are no Achilles, my love. If so, I will make sure that you are clad in armor that thoroughly covers you from head to toe, not an inch of skin will be exposed!" Her demeanor was jovial, the woman being put at ease by the pure fact that her feet were about to touch solid ground. She was not naive enough to think her trial and tribulations had passed, but at least fresh air would be surrounding her when she had to face them. As glorious as her time with him had been on this ship, she was sick of the ever constant rocking motion of the seas.

Her hand was clenched by his, her eyes tilting toward the invading light as they approached it. Stepping up on the deck to a roar from the people below, she nearly lost her footing and collapsed to the ground. The sun- oh, beautiful glorious sun!- was brightly shining in her eyes, welcoming her back to the world. It had been far too long since she had seen the sunlight as she had been imprisoned in a dank, dark dungeon for what seemed like ages. While he raised his fist to greet the people below, her chin tilted upward. Eyes closed, the princess thanking Apollo for his incredible gift to her.

When she felt Androkles shift, breaking the connection between them, her eyes fluttered open. Before them was a man that was unmistakably the blood of her future husband. While the two embraced and his eyes drifted upon her form, the woman, too, scanned him. She wasn't appraising him, but rather finding all the physical similarities between the two princes. When the two were introduced, Ambrosia gave a formal bow to him, her head dipping in acknowledgment. However, when the other man questioned her being future king, she stiffened in her stance. She was waiting for that one disapproving mark, the moment when all of this would come to a screeching halt. But Seleukos didn't seem to mind. Instead, he teased her. "Oh, I told him that only a moment ago. I know I shall have to fight women for his attention."

With that, she eased in her stance. "Oh, the spell was easy, really. I just feed his ego with how heroic he was when he rescued me. Everyone loves a damsel in distress!" Laughing melodically, she reached back for her prince's hand, curling her fingers around it. "Forgive me if I speak out of turn, but I thank you for the welcome. I do not intend to do anything against your father's approval for I would not want to cause a riff between family." Turning to the older of the two, she looked at him seriously. "I do not mind the wait if you wish to consult with him. I would not want to start a marriage on shaky ground, my love. You know that duty to your land comes before me." Her free hand lifted, stroking his cheek gently.

When they spoke of poets, she looked at them apprehensively. She did not feel that her rescue was something that desired spotlight, though she understood that this was more about him than her. It was about the pride of men and how far they would go to see their reputations idolized. It wasn't about Ambrosia living, but how a great and noble prince had sailed to a foreign land to save a woman he did not know. He had slain minotaurs and brought her back on his ship with him with the intent of making her his wife. It was a romantic story, one that would surely be passed on from generation to generation. However, it was their story- the beginning of the connection between two souls. She selfishly didn't want it shared for all the world to see.

Androkles gaze at his own soldiers and the crowd around them and simply remarked “They already love you Ambrosia.” He smiled to her and then noted “How could they not?” His chest puffed out slightly as perhaps slightly vainly he revelled in the welcome they received. After all it was one thing to play the hero and quite another to be lauded for it. Although he’d received the only reward or accolade he cared for not so many moments past, there was something to the cheers that seemed to please him.

Seleukos laughed as the princess told him that she should have to fight women for his attention. “Then I think I shall bet on you to prevail in any such contest.” With evident good humour he noted “As you’ve already seem to have succeeded where many other have failed.” He winked to her as he noted “Best you not mention that to too many others that such is the key to my brother’s affections, least our entire kingdom be beset with women held by supposed monsters in need of rescue.”

The younger brother simply grinned as he noted “Look how much she cares for you already brother, she would delay things thinking that may be more prudent for your familial relations. Little does she realize that waiting will only result in either our father granting you the sought permission or it being denied and you doing exactly what you want to do regardless of the King’s wishes.” He turned back to the princess as he smiled “He prefers not to even ask, after all its so much easier to apologize for that which cannot be changed than to get permission to go ahead with it.”

Androkles snorted slightly at that particular commentary, although he didn’t exactly dispute it. Although he simply said “I’m marrying Ambrosia as soon as I can find a priest to arrange it.” He idly noted “Our father will understand when I explain it to him later. Besides she’s a princess, heir to a kingdom he can hardly complain that she’d not suitable.” Though his brother noted “Although her kingdom is..” Only to be cut off by Androkles as he noted “I shall have it back for her.”

Androkles stated “She has agreed, the matter is already settled.” There was a rather mulish quality to the statement suggesting that he was not to be moved or delayed upon the matter. His mind was made up and none were to sway him otherwise. While he basked in the attentions of the crowd, who really wanted to for that matter?

Though surely her brother would have something to say upon the matter. Although how he would presume to gainsay her saviour from such a request was difficult to comprehend. The Aegian Pindar soon was spied clambering up the gangplank, the soldiers having recognized him from the earlier voyage allowed him to pass. Thus he soon knelt before Ambrosia and remarked “My lady, your brother is elated that you are well. He was filled with despair that the worst had befallen you. He should be here soon.”

The guardsman turned towards Androkles and remarked “My lord, I spoke of your voyage to his Majesty and bravery in recovering his sister.” A slightly knowing smile graced the soldier’s lips as he remarked “I believe your reward is whatever you should ask for that is his to grant.”

Ambrosia didn't worry so much about his people loving her as she did his family. As she was extremely close to the only family member she had, being a part of a big family that accepted her was a great significance to her. She wanted them to understand that she loved him and was marrying him because of that, not because she wanted to unite the remnants of her lost kingdom to a much larger one. She wasn't after security or funds; whether she married the future king of Thessaly or not, she would continue to look after her Aeginans until the day they burned her body.

"Oh! Don't worry, Seleukos, his days of fighting monsters to rescue maidens are far behind him." Her laughter rang out, hoping to be infectious to those surrounding her. "I do hope that these other women do not underestimate me. After all, the truth of the story is that it is I who rescued your brother. There I was, locked away in that dreadful dungeon." Her hand swung outwardly in a wide gesture as she began to tell her false story. "I had just managed to steal one of the swords from the minotaurs when your brother burst into the room in a fit of heroics. One of the beasts captured him, and it was I who slayed that terrible creature. From my mouth to the ears of poets!" She gave the brother a playful wink before lightly nudging her future husband. "But I think that perhaps another prince could sail the seas in order to rescue other damsels in need of assistance."

The woman beamed as the younger could visibly note how much she cared for him. "Listen to him speak about marrying me as soon as possible. He's robbing me of a dreadfully long and proper ceremony!" She teased, but when it was spoken that her kingdom was lost, all playfulness drained from her face. Her head drooped, her eyes falling to the ground. It was when Androkles spoke of getting it back for her that she truly realized that whatever connection had been quickly formed between the pair it would not fade away anytime soon. "You would do that?" She asked him, raising her head. "Oh, Androkles, we could never ask of it." But all the same, she leaned in toward him to bury her head beneath his neck.

As Pindar approached and knelt before her, she pulled back from the prince. A smile spread across her features as she heard that her brother had received news, which meant that he was well. "Oh, thank you." She reached for his hands, pulling him up on his feet. When it was said that Kleitos would give him any reward he wished for, she turned and threw her arms around Androkles for all to see. Her lips embraced his in the quickest of kisses. "I knew he would not object, I knew it!"

Eyes scanned over the scene in front of them, idly rummaging over the crowd. There, coming up the makeshift bridge was a graying man who carried a rather remarkable sword. Mouth fell slightly ajar, her hand flying up to cover her gasp. "Kleitos- Kleitos!" She tore from her betrothed, racing through the crowd on the deck. By the time the older man had come aboard, she was almost within arms reach. Her body slammed into some of the crew unintentionally but there was no time for her to stop to apologize. "Kleitos!" She called out to him again. The man looked up with the same pair of oceanic eyes, his mouth mimicking her smile. "Ambrosia-" He called out softly, holding her arms open to her. The woman was within them in a matter of seconds, her dark arms looping about his neck. He straightened his stance, lifting her off her feet a few inches while his hands stroked through her dark hair. "I feared I'd never see you again, my Sister." He told her, nearly weeping. "I'm well, Kleitos, I am well."

After the embrace, Kleitos set her back down on her feet. His weathered hands reached out to cup her cheek as he inspected her to ensure she was unharmed. "When we lost Aegina I-" "Shhhh." The woman replied, silencing him with the touch of her finger to his lips. "It doesn't matter. Come, there is much reasoning to rejoice. Our loss is great, but the gods are still smiling down on us, brother. We shall never forget those lost, but we shall revel in a more joyous occasion." Her hand was at his back, gently leading him back to where the princes stood. "I have heard great things of this Androkles who traveled so far to rescue my sister. I trust he treated you well?" He asked, glancing in the direction of the man as they approached him. "Yes, Brother, he did."

As they reached Androkles and his brother, Kleitos dropped down to his knees in front of the man. "Prince Androkles, I am Kleitos of Aegina. I owe you much for the return of she who is most precious to me. Tell me, Prince, what shall you take as your reward?"

If Ambrosia worried after his family’s thoughts with respect to her, Androkles seemed indifferent to what anyone else thought of the matter. The prince was headstrong and seemed entirely convinced that as he loved her, so too should everyone else his family included be similarly charmed by the jewel he’d plucked from the sea. Confidence was something that ever seemed to surround the prince as though a second set of armour akin to the bronze that graced his body.

Androkles simply laughed as he nodded to her and promised “I promise no more rescuing fair maidens unless someone captures you as well my love.” He rolled his eyes slightly as she teasingly suggested that she’d in fact rescued him. He smiled as he noted “You did seem to have the situation well in hand before I got there. I can only be thankful I managed to provide a timely diversion.” Although he muttered under his breath “And killed all the minotaurs.”

Androkles clapped his brother upon the shoulder and remarked “I shall leave the rescuing of future fair maidens in your capable hands my dear brother.” Seleukos rather swiftly protested “Oh no, I’m simply the entirely bland younger brother of the great hero, if people need rescuing there is no way you’re passing that off on me. I don’t think anyone’s going to rush to court begging the aid of the Mighty Seleukos slayer of unremarkable rank and file soldiers and ill tempered deer.” Seleukos struck a mock pose as though to demonstrate his lack of heroic ability. “I’m not going to take up you’re mad adventures as a proxy just because you’ve decided to settle down and get married. The gods may love you and save your precious hide from what appears to be certain misfortune. But the stars don’t guide my path in such a fashion.”

Androkles grinned to her “Far more likely you simply regret my failing to allow you the time to round up every last female acquaintance of yours, and to spend enormous amounts of time arranging your dress and where we are to be wed.” He teased her mildly with the statement “And I do so like things to be improper.” A rather lusty wink was directed towards her. But as the topic turned to her island and the liberation of it, he felt her face bury in his neck. His arms slipped about her waist to hold her against his armoured chest as he murmured “For you my love I’d move mountains. What are a few foreigners upon an island as compared to that?” His hand raised to stroke his fingers against her cheek as he promised “I’ll save as many of your people as I can.” For he knew well enough she’d worry about little else till he had.

Androkles grinned as Pindar seemed to confirm that her brother would agree to what Androkles wished. He hadn’t expected anything else. After all a prince with a number of ships and an army at his back was about as good a potential ally and match as was likely to be found for a princess whose island was currently occupied by enemies. But Ambrosia was happy so he was happy. He returned his kiss gladly.

He watched Ambrosia dash through the ships crew and all but pounce upon her seemingly much older brother. Androkles could simply smile charmed by her enthusiasm. He simply allowed their reunion to transpire and didn‘t venture to intrude before King and princess approached him. Androkles blinked and looked rather astonished to see a king kneeling down before him. He reached down to grasp Kleitos by the arm seeking to pull the man to his feet. “You honour me King Kleitos. But I am but a prince and a king should kneel only before the gods, and I pretend not to such esteemed company.”

Androkles smiled and his hand sought Ambrosia’s own. Gently he pulled her closer towards him as he answered as to what reward her sought “That which is most precious to you, is my heart’s desire. I would marry your sister Ambrosia. I wish nothing more of you and nothing less. She has agreed.” The prince smiled and noted “Find me a priest and I shall marry her this very moment. For knowing her, I could have no other.”

The old king was a humble man, so it was with a great swallow of his pride that he knelt before this young prince. It bothered him none to bow before a man that had crossed the sea into a foreign land to rescue his sister- his only family- from being sacrificed in a gruesome manner to foul creatures. Of course, the worst of it was that he didn't know what had happened to his younger sibling. She had been abducted on that fateful night, yanked away from her while he was forced to sail to safety. He was a King, they told him, and though it was grievous to lose the young princess, his duty was to move on. Yet, Kleitos couldn't sleep, couldn't find a moment's worth of peace while facing the unknown. Night after night he wondered if she was still alive or if she had been brutally murdered by the hands of those that had stolen his kingdom.

When the Prince of Thessaly pulled him to his feet, Kleitos clapped him on his arm. He was about to turn to his sister when his blue eyes noticed her hand being taken by the man before him. Curiously, he lifted his gaze to his sister while the prince spoke and pulled her into him. Kleitos was more than her brother, he was both her mother and her father as well. And as such, he had spent the entirety of her lifetime taking care of her. Therefore, he understood her better than anyone. He could read her thoughts and feelings in her body language and by her facial expressions. He watched the woman curl so easily into her rescuer without a hint of hesitation. She didn't flinch like she had been forced, nor did she make it seem like what he had spoken was a lie.

"Ambrosia?" Kleitos spoke, waiting to hear it from her own lips. "It's true, Kleitos. I do agree, and I would marry him here and now before you and all these people watching. Say you will agree, Kleitos. Say it." But she wasn't commanding him to approve, but rather she was pleading with him to do so. The old man stepped toward her, placing his aged hand against her smooth cheek lovingly. "If this is what your heart truly desires, then I could not be more pleased you have chosen a husband, Ambrosia. And from what I can tell, a fine one at that." He leaned in, replacing his hand with a brush of his lips.

Then, with a gravity to his expression, he pulled back to face his soon-to-be brother-in-law. "I have lost my land, Androkles. I have lost most of my people and almost all that I hold dear. Thanks to you, I have the most important part of my life back. My gratitude to you is eternal. I have not much to offer, but what I have is yours so long as you can guarantee that you will take care of her. She deserves respect, and she also deserves to be a Queen, as she was meant to be. Aegina and I will serve you for so long as we still have the spirit of our land within us. The gods and goddesses have shown us favor even if we have lost a great battle. For it was within our darkest moments that they sent us a silver lining: you, Prince Androkles."

Ambrosia's lips widened into a brilliant smile, her eyes darting between her brother and her future husband. She brought her prince's hand to her mouth, kissing it lightly. "I told you he would not stand in the way, Androkles. I told you that my brother would gladly become your ally. As he said, we do not have much to offer, but we do have our loyalty." Pulling away from the younger man, she stepped forward to embrace her brother again. "Thank you, Kleitos. No sister could have a better brother."

When the King pulled from his sister's embrace, he turned to his loyal Pindar. "Whatever this Prince asks of you, please do within your ability to grant it. If he requires a priest at this very moment, please find one. We must celebrate this victorious return and honor the gods and goddesses for looking down us with great fortune. Tonight, we shall have a feast in honor of Prince Androkles and Princess Ambrosia!" His voice roared out, letting the crowd hear him. They erupted into loud cheers, chanting their names.

Androkles found it slightly odd to be scrutinized by the King of Aegina. He wondered if he should be slightly offended that what he said wasn’t immediately accepted as true. Given that it suggested that he’d somehow coerced or manipulated the princess into such a situation. But the prince said nothing, after all if he snarled at his soon to be brother-in-law that he, Androkles of Thessaly, didn’t appreciate the implication that he was a liar, he doubted that would he would start his married life in complete tranquility.

If nothing else her enthusiasm and rush to agree with him placated him. After all he couldn’t help but smile when that winsome girl pleaded for permission to marry him. When Kleitos agreed that did settle things quite nicely and avoided any unnecessary conflict. Androkles leaned in towards Ambrosia and his lips pressed to her cheek. “There my love now we’re all but married.” His lips brushed to her ear as he teasingly noted “I wonder how many priests would be brought to us if I shouted out that I’d give ten denarii to the first person to bring me one.”

Androkles simply smiled as he responded “No deed has ever been more richly rewarded than my saving your sister King Kleitos. She is in herself the greatest treasure one could ask for. She will be a queen - my queen and queen of Thessally at my side.” He seemed pleased to say as much. The fact she’d become queen of Aegina at some point was really incidental to the whole thing. A throne for a younger son to take up at some point far down the road.

Androkles added thereafter “We also managed to burn a good number of enemy ships, so we’ve done them so harm already. Once I’m properly married to your sister, I shall attempt to drive them from your island at the earliest opportunity. ” Although turning his head towards Ambrosia he smiled “Or as soon as I manage to think I can part from my wife in any case. I‘m sure besides myself some of the other leaders will lend some forces to the effort.” There was an almost arrogant confidence which the prince brought to bear upon confronting their enemies. Although clad in gleaming armour as he was, he certainly seemed to ooze with martial prowess.

He felt her lips pressing to his palm and he nodded “Yes, you did assure me of that darling. I‘m glad it shall not be a source of conflict.” As she embraced her brother he turned away from the two of them and the called over several of his soldiers “Half a dozen of you go and find me a priest or priestess. Aphrodite, Hera, Zeus, Apollo - some god suitable for a marriage. Now go quickly, gold denarii for whomever returns with a priest first.”

With his Thessalians jogging down the gangplank to the shore and then departing rather rapidly, the prince turned back towards Ambrosia and the assembled crowd. He grinned impishly and slipped his brawny arms around the princess’ waist and lifted her upwards and leaned her in towards him so they faced each other. He raised her so she’d hover more than a foot in the air to be at a level with him and then leaned in to kiss her before the assembled masses.

While her groom leaned in to brush his lips against her smooth cheek, her eyes were searching those of her brother. She was looking for fear and hesitation, or some sign that he was afraid of giving her over to Thessaly. However, the twinkle in the older man's eyes assured her that whatever he felt about this union, it was a pleasant emotion. He didn't seem to fear giving her away to another man or throwing her to the wolves as the future Queen of Thessaly. No, he trusted her and was confident in both her charming charisma and her ability to handle difficult situations. The proof of that was Ambrosia, herself, a woman that had been meant for sacrifice but now stood before the masses so calm and collected. No, he was grateful and even more at peace with the facts that whatever was left of his kingdom would remain within his family and hers. For even though he did not give an heir, he was certain Ambrosia would.

"I am certain that someone will find you a suitable priest, Prince Androkles." He smiled to his sister, no longer seeing her as the jovial child that ran through the marble hallways but as the beautiful young woman she had become. "It is a great reward you take, Androkles. For I have no greater treasure than this woman you take as your wife. She has been my greatest joy in life, and I'm certain our mother and father would be proud of her. She was always meant for great things." He told him with a seriousness to his tone. "For the story of her miraculous birth is the evidence of that. It is said that Aphrodite, herself, appeared to my mother during my birth and spoke of a miracle. Ambrosia was chosen by the Goddess, Herself, Androkles. One need not look too far to see that." He chuckled when the woman's cheeks flushed into a red rouge. "You've never looked more beautiful, Ambrosia. Though you're not in proper wedding attire, I doubt anyone will recover soon from the sight. I never envisioned you to have a large and elaborate affair as your wedding, though it is something to celebrate. No, you've always been more free-spirited. You care nothing for jewels and bedazzlement. You care for your land and your people as a true queen should. I hope your prince remembers this." He turned to Androkles, offering him a wink.

"Thank you. It would mean a lot to me to see my home again." The old king stated, recalling the beauty of his shores. "A small land we may be, but you could spend a thousand sunsets there and never behold all the beauty it has to offer. Perhaps, once it is within my grasp again, you will let Ambrosia return to her homeland from time to time. You are both always welcome there as you are now as much a part of Aegina as you are Thessaly, Androkles. Every part of my kingdom is yours, too."

"I intend to go with him, too, Kleitos." Ambrosia stated boldly, her eyes darting between the two men. "I may be a future Queen, but I don't intend to sit in a grand palace and arrange swaddling clothes for my unborn children. As my brother has told you, I'm free-spirited." She grinned, straightening her posture. "I'm going to put on armor and sail back to Aegina. I'll go ashore and slash apart all those who tried to do us harm! I'll help bring Aegina back into your reign, brother, I swear it!" But Kleitos didn't look pleased. "Now, Ambrosia. . ." He began, but trailed off. Instead, he let her future husband handle that little wildfire.

After he dictated to some of his men to find him someone to marry them aboard this ship, she felt his arms slip around her. She was easily turned toward him, pulled in and molded against his chest. She laughed when he lifted her, holding her above the crowd like some kind of trophy. When his lips touched hers, her arms looped around his neck and held him firmly to her.

Androkles was certain that a suitable priest would be found. After all he’d just promised some of his most loyal men gold to whomever found him one first! He’d likely have half the priests on the island of Cios here before long. Thus he was content simply to nod his agreement that undoubtedly one would be found for him. Although he would note “I have no doubt that your parents would be most proud of her.” He smiled rather fondly at Ambrosia as he noted “She will be a great queen.” He grinned slightly as he noted “Chosen by the goddess or easily mistaken as the goddess herself in the flesh.”

Although Androkles was tempted to dispute the fact that she’d never looked more beautiful statement, he didn’t. Although privately he thought Kleitos had never seen the woman pulled from a death bed wearing gold jewellery and mere wisps of white silk. Or the woman curled up against him with her face angelic in peaceful slumber. That was when Ambrosia had looked more beautiful than anything or anyone. The prince observed “I’m sure it shall do. And I know she cares very much for her people. Although I would be loath to fail to provide her with the riches she deserves.”

“Ah yes, once I’ve driven these invaders from you’re island and I’m sure its safe for Ambrosia to return, I shall be most happy to see all the beauty you’re island has to offer. After all I’ve seen only a little of it and that under cover of darkness while I went to retrieve your sister. But she speaks so fondly of it that it must be a truly lovely place. And I do not think to deprive you entirely of her.”

He’d already lifted Ambrosia up and kissed her rather publicly at that, before he seemed to pay much mind to what she’d been saying. She thought she was coming with him? She must be joking, he concluded in fact he seemed very sure of that. He kissed her and with a smile spun her about slightly before setting her back down to her feet, her form brought up against his own though. He smiled to her and idly noted “Very funny.”

He chuckled softly as he noted “As much as it might interest me to see what you look like in armour my love. It will be better for you to go to Thessaly and await the end of the fighting there. You will be safe with my family and out of harm’s way. I will send for you as soon as I have dealt with these people who captured you.” His hand slid along her side rather firmly as he noted “As much as I do not want to be parted from you. I must keep you safe as I have nothing more precious to me now.”

He seemed to consider the matter a moment longer. “It seems many of your people have taken refuge here Ambrosia, it will likely strain the resources of Cios to see them stay here for too much longer. I will give them sanctuary in Thessaly until I have restored their island to them.” He smiled to his bride as he murmured “And who better to see them safely there than you?”

Kleitos took a step back, somewhat eager to see how this young prince handled this situation. Though he gathered that he knew her better than the old man in some ways, he had not been around her throughout the entirety of her lifetime. Maybe he did understand it or maybe he didn't, but once Ambrosia had set her mind to something, she was determined to see it through. Though she was a humble woman, he knew her to be a stubborn one, especially when it came to her country. She loved her land with all of her heart and would do anything for them. If she had it in her mind that she was going with him to regain control of her kingdom, she doubted very little he could do much to persuade her otherwise. Though she knew her place was not in the middle of battles, she wasn't thinking very clearly on that or the effect it would have on Androkles if she went. Men didn't think it humorous when one of their comrades, especially a prince due to lead a massive place like Thessaly, couldn't control their wives. Ambrosia would have to learn to swallow her pride and leave the wars to her husband.

He was about to volunteer his services to assist the prince in Aegina, but he knew that not to be a wise choice. Though he could still fight if necessary, the king's aging was becoming apparent. He looked tired, physically, though his mind was still as sharp as it had ever been. He wasn't prepared to roll over and give up his throne, but he knew his time was coming to an end. If Androkles could seize control of his home once again, he knew that it rightfully belonged to the younger man. And as wonderful of a ruler as his sister would be, it wasn't tradition for a woman to run a nation. He was growing more grateful for this noble man by the second, his appreciation written in his eyes.

Once she was set back on her feet and the prince thought what she had spoken was in jest, Kleitos could detect the confusion in her eyes. She was going to protest and fight him tooth and nail until he agreed to let her take part in this mission. "What's funny?" Ambrosia asked, an incredulous expression gracing her vibrant features. "But, Androkles, I do not wish to go to Thessaly to await the end of this battle. Every day I shall be concerned for your safety. Besides, this is my kingdom we're talking about. I grew up there, lived out my life in the land I love so much. Surely you do not think I can be so idle in a land that is foreign to me without any familiarity." She meant no disrespect to his kingdom or his parents, but she was yet to know his family. Kleitos and Androkles were all she knew, and she couldn't stand the thought of being separated so soon, though she knew it for a good cause.

His hand along her side was meant to soothe and comfort her, like he wanted her to submit to his will. Though it would be her place as his wife to do so, Ambrosia wasn't quite ready to back down. "I can fight! I killed one of those men that tried to capture me." She knew what he was doing, using her weakness for her people against her so she would surrender. It was tempting, indeed, and she knew how much she would like to be alongside them while they made the journey together to Thessaly. After all, it was a very kind gesture for him to give them refuge there. Besides, they had already used too many resources here. "Yes, I would like to serve my duty to them by accompanying them to your shores, but I think my place is to go with you."

As much as he didn't want to do it, Kleitos knew it was his time to intervene. He would take a hit for the prince that had so valiantly agreed to venture back into danger for the good of a land so small and seemingly unimportant. Yet, he knew he was doing it for her. "Ambrosia, it's my Kingdom." He saw the hurt in her eyes, his hand reaching out for hers. "It is your home and one day you will be Queen of it, but I am the Ruler. I would offer to go with him, but I think it better I sail with you. Give us some time together before we part ways, Sister. He is a kind man, do not test that now." She was still shaking her head, ready to retort when he held up his hand.

"Yes, you killed someone, but what good did it do to you? You were still captured, still left at their mercy. I taught you to fight, but you are no properly trained soldier. You could put on armor and slay men with your swords, fine, but be logical, Ambrosia. Think of your size. They outweigh you by more than double and though you are strong, they are stronger. They were born for this, meant to do this. You are a woman, meant to be a Queen. Let you not forget your duties. Did you really think you were spared by Aphrodite to go fight in a war? No, you're far more intelligent than that. If you love Aegina so much then do what is right for them. Go to Thessaly with your people and support them while we all wait for the return of Androkles and his men."

Kleitos could see the comprehension in her eyes as she seemingly accepted what they both had attempted to tell her. She obviously didn't like it, but she didn't appear to want to argue on the subject any further. "I only hope you don't plan this departure too soon. Shouldn't I have at least a week with my husband before he parts from me? What should I do if you never return, Androkles? How will I cope then?"

Androkles seemed astonished for a moment that Ambrosia was actually treating this as a serious idea that she should come to Aegina and take part in the efforts to drive the invaders away. He was rather tempted to suggest that it was foolish for her even to suggest that she participate. But he was sure she meant well. Thus he rather patiently responded “I know you will be concerned about my safety. But it will relieve me greatly if I do not need to worry over yours. The last thing I need is to need to worry about my enemies and protecting my wife all at once Ambrosia. Better that you are safe, and I can defeat these people and soon be back in your company.”

He kissed her forehead lightly as he noted “I know you love your land and your people. But you are going to be queen of my land as well. You should come to know it as well. Plus your people will need you there. My people will deal kindly with them but it would reassure them to have you there, a link between them and the country they are taking refuge in. Your place is with your people now to provide them what comfort you can and lead them. Leave the battles to me, my love.”

As she insisted that she could fight he shook his head slightly as he noted. “I am not doubting your courage Ambrosia. You are very brave. But you are not a trained soldier. You are not as large or strong as those whom are expected to fight. There are many important things you can do Ambrosia, but this is not one of them. You must leave this to me, and trust that I shall deliver your island to you and your people. For you I will do this gladly.” He smiled to her as he teasingly noted “And you think I want to be parted from you? I’d rather that nothing needed to be done and here I could stay with you for months on ending, rarely spending but the passing of an hour outside your company. But I will not have you in danger and I have promised you I shall help your people. So it must be so.”

Kleitos endeared himself to his soon to be brother in law, when he reinforced the message that she should definitely not being going to fight for the island. Androkles simply nodded soberly with what the elder man said. Androkles simply added “What he says is true Ambrosia. You could no more fight a man my size, than I could climb through a rabbit hole.” He kissed her cheek lightly as he noted “If I am to trust you, you must trust me love. I will do this for you, trust me.”

Androkles lofted a brow to her as he noted “If I should never return? I will slay your enemies and be back to you as soon as I can be. You should not worry for my safety love. I will be well. The gods watch over me, and few can rival me in skill with a spear or sword. If your minotaurs couldn’t do the job for these foreigners, then I doubt anything else they have can.” The warrior grinned impishly as he noted “I’ll slay the lot of them and waltz away with their greatest treasures all over again.” He leaned in to her and kissed her gently as he noted “I promise I will stay here with you for at least a week. As I said I am not so eager to be parted from you my love.”

Full of confidence and valour, he didn’t seem to give much credence to the prospect of failure or death on his part. Rather it was seen as strictly inevitable that he should seize her island from these interlopers and valiantly return it to her. “But do not worry yourself so darling. It will be pleasant for you. You’ll have a chance to see my kingdom, to meet my family and it will all be over with before you know it.” He promised her of course.

As the prince attempted to mollify his bride, one of the soldiers whom he’d dispatched came tramping up the gang plank. A middle aged and bearded fellow in a red robe with a sun emblazoned upon it was practically dragged behind him. The soldier seemed to pant slightly and one of the guards standing at the gang plank paced him a waterskin which he greedily gulped down. “My prince I ran until I found the temple of Apollo and returned as quickly as I could.” The soldier then took another rather deep pull of water, before turning his head from side to side as though to confirm he’d beat the others back.

Androkles was evidently delighted with the fellow’s speedy return and pressed a small bag of gold coins into his hand. Thereafter, he simply grinned as he turned to Ambrosia and noted “Now we have a priest love. So I said I’d marry you the moment we had one, so shall we go down to the beach and let the gods confirm what we have already promised to each other?” The timing in avoiding having to further argue with her about her notion of accompanying him to battle seemed fortuitous

Ambrosia still wasn't completely convinced she needed to stay on land, yet she knew her place in the world. The last thing she needed was for her new father-in-law to think her too foolish to be deserving of his kingdom. Not that she thought she deserved it, really, but she at least wanted to behave the way a proper queen should. She also understood she didn't need to give his father any reasons for reprimanding him for all his choices. Androkles could have appeared to be borderline foolish, too, for all he had done. He certainly was rebellious, especially since he had not only crossed the sea to rescue a princess of a small, insignificant land but he was about to take her as his wife and then return to her land to rescue it. Maybe his father would view it as a waste and a loss to Greece that could be afforded, but she knew the prince was going to do it because he had promised her he would.

They both knew, separately, that their duties to their respective lands would always come before their personal matters. She could have argued that she didn't want him to go, but her people needed their home; her brother needed his Kingdom- their kingdom. She stood in silence next to him, letting him speaking his mind without interruption, though she somewhat disagreed. It seemed like he was joining forces with her brother, both of them pitting against her. However true their words may be, they didn't seem to understand her perspective.

Ambrosia took both of his hands into her own, turning to face him. "I do love my people, and I shall love yours, too. I understand I shall become a queen to Thessaly someday, but there is something you must understand, Androkles. I cannot be the connection between Thessaly and Aegina without you because, without you, I am nothing to your land. I'm a foreigner, too." She was speaking gently, not intending to offend him with her words. "I must adjust to living there, too. I do not know your family. I know I will love them because I love you, but everything is new to me, too. I know I will adapt as my people have, but it's going to be a difficult challenge."

His arrogance was frightening in a way, especially when he spoke of his favor from the gods. Her hand lifted to his cheek, cupping it gently. "I do trust you, my love. I know we shall get through this but do not forget the gods can change their minds if they are displeased. Please be careful when you speak so boldly. Every day should be a humbling experience to us, a manner of showing us how fortunate we are that the gods smile down on us." She stretched up on the tips of her toes, her lips closing in to brush against his. "You are right, it shall be pleasant for me. I will enjoy meeting them, but as I have said, I am but a stranger, too." With one more kiss, she knew the conversation had ended. Androkles would have it his way and his bride would offer no further argument over the matter.

Her attention was then turned to the panting soldier as he raced up to them. Her eyes darted from him to the priest, her lips curling into a broad smile. As the man confirmed her suspicions that he had brought back the priest, she turned back to Androkles. "Yes, you have kept true to your promise of marrying me as soon as it became possible. My, how hasty you are!" She teased him, leaning in to embrace him. "Yes, let us go down to the beach so that we could be closer to the people and on land. I want everyone to hear and witness the ceremony so that no one would ever be in doubt that what we say is true."

Still clasping his hand, her other reached out for her brother's. "Kleitos, today you shall be free from your rotten sister!" She laughed, gingerly leading both of the men toward the edge of the ship. When they reached the gangplank, her brother was the first to descend it. "Are you certain you want to do this? No regrets? Last chance to change your mind!" She warned Androkles, but with a giggle, she was racing down the board, her arms held out beside her so that she didn't lose her balance and fall.

If Androkles and Kleitos between them couldn’t convince Ambrosia that her place was to stay behind and away from the fighting, it wasn’t clear exactly what could. If Ambrosia fretted that Androkles’ king would be less than pleased with his son’s rather expansive interpretation of his mandate. Of course go help our allies and fight off these foreigners had been rather vague. Naturally Androkles assumed that rescuing princesses and burning ships, chasing them off islands were all included in that. Though he didn’t pretend his father would have ordered as much. However, he knew one thing - win and cover himself in glory and all of his transgressions could be forgiven.

It all seemed clear to him that this was exactly what was intended for him. He of all people was far from home, and dropped into a conflict for no other reason than it was his destiny. How else could he arrive just when a princess was in dire need of his help? Nor could she be the most captivating woman he’d ever meant unless it was all meant to be so. Although with a half smile he’d reflect that that all sounded a bit grandiose. Although it was hard to contain the manner in which his spirits rose as the moment where he was to get exactly what he wished approached.

Androkles seemed to return to the moment at hand. “I know you love your people and that you shall come to love mine.” He grinned as noted “Oh I’m sure we shall forge a very direct connection between Aegina and Thessaly.” He winked to her he leaned in towards the girl and noted “Of course it shall not be I either. As I’m entirely a foreigner in Aegina.” His hand would stray along her side somewhat suggestively. “You need not worry about my family or my people I can only think they shall embrace you, for how could they not?”

Ambrosia did seem to manage to chasten his enthusiasm and confidence slightly. A sheepish smile graced his lips as his future bride didn’t even know the half of the rather sweeping notions that had drifted through his head. Making Hercules look like a second rate traveling strongman had crossed his mind…he just hadn’t brought it up. “You are right my love. I should not speak or think as such.” His forehead leaned down to rest against her briefly as she rose up on her toes to kiss him. “I just feel that this is meant to be and I am meant to do this for you.” He nodded as he noted “I do have much to be grateful for.”

The prince grinned to Ambrosia as he remarked “I promised you my beloved.” His arms slid around her lithe waist as those brawny arms tightened about her. He leaned in towards her and rather softly teasingly noted “I don’t just promise to marry all the girls I want to take to bed.” He winked to her and noted “Yes I am very hasty but you like it.” He lifted her up so that she was at a level with him. He kissed her rather passionately and then remarked “Let’s get married.”

He seemed content to be lead down to the beach besides Ambrosia. As she giggled and laughed he made a show of apprehension. He teasingly remarked “Oh I can still change my mind can I? Hmm..let me see. No I think I should get married.” Although amusement flickered through his features and a twinkle sparked in his eye as he suggested “Perhaps you should be more worried I shall like getting married too much and become like one of those Persians whom are married many times over. You know perhaps I could handle having a dozen or more wives.” He walked down to the beach with her and the people gathered around to watch parted to allow them some space.

However, he seemed to school himself and soon stood more seriously beside her. His hand intertwined between her own and his tall form loomed beside her. His dark eyes turned to regard the priest who stood awaiting them and he nodded to the man. He turned briefly towards Ambrosia and smiled then he turned back to the priest and indicated “Begin.”

His teasing words spoken behind her would not go unnoticed, but for the moment the woman had other things on her mind. Firstly, she was concentrating on getting off of this ship without tumbling below the board that only seemed to be stable for the moment. Yet, she was blessed with grace and poise so she was confident she would make ti to the ground virtually unscathed. As she neared the soft, white sand awaiting her, the seconds seemed to drag by. It seemed that either time itself was slowing down or her feet were dragging, although she nearly knocked into her older brother as her legs anxiously darted along the wooden line to step onto land.

At last, she reached the end. Her bare feet fell into the warmth of the sand, sinking down into the depths of the grains. The princess stood motionless, reveling in the way her weight buried down into the soft ground. It seemed like a lifetime since the last time the soles of her feet had plowed into mounds of sand and the beach. Though she had carried herself from her prison to the ship, her mind had been focused on escaping rather than the simple pleasure of her feet touching the nature of the earth. It may have seemed trivial, but it was something she was sure every living person took for granted. It was pure validation for her that she was back on solid ground, no longer floating out at sea without a destiny. She was here in a land where her people had taken refuge with her brother, the King of Aegina, and her fiance, the future King of Thessaly. Only days ago her future had seemed so bleak and uncertain, but now it was bright and full of joy.

By the time he was ready to reach the end of the plank, Ambrosia had turned and was waiting for him. "Oh, you think you could handle a dozen wives, do you? Let you live with me for a week and see how your mind changes on that issue. I guarantee I am going to be more than enough woman for you to handle." She was teasing him now, winking to seal it. "No, I think not, Prince of Thessaly. I'm going to be your only wife. You shall have no mistresses, either. So, eyes look your last because pretty soon the only woman crossing your mind will be me, Ambrosia." Laughing, she turned from him and ran to catch up with her brother as they parted through the sea of people.

Her hand caught his weathered one, grasping it firmly. "I do hope you are proud of me, brother." She whispered, smiling at faces she recognized. "I promise you, I will do everything within in my power for our people and the land that is mother to us all." Kleitos stopped her, placing his other hand on her cheek. "I know it, Ambrosia. You already are." His hand left her face, swinging out to the crowd around them as if they were the very proof of her words. "Look, the priest is waiting." The king parted from her then, moving to stand near the priest so he could hear his words.

Ambrosia stood beside the man, uncaring that the ceremony was not traditional to neither the Aeginan ways or royalty. Titles mattered little to her so long as their binding was witnessed and made official. She felt his hand grasp her own, her palm getting lost in the size of his. Fingers easily interlaced, curling down over his knuckles. When he told the man to begin, her oceanic eyes darted up to find his. The smile on her face was bright while her hand gave his a gentle, reassuring squeeze.

Androkles settled upon the sand in his sandaled feet. There was a certain pleasure in stepping onto dry land again that he couldn’t deny. As fond as any Greek was of water and the speed of travel that it allowed, solid ground was always reassuring none the less. The jubilant manner in which his bride found the beach caused his lips to part with a smile. Although he supposed that she had plenty of reasons to be grateful to see the sun bathing down on her face and sand beneath her feet. Fleeing one’s home for the sea was the cold spray and buffeting waves of the sea was not the most welcome of trades.

The Thessalian prince grinned impishly as she asked if he thought he could handle a dozen wives. A mischievous look about him suggested that if a dozen women were gathered together he’d consider giving it a try and he’d get back to her on how well his stamina held out. “Oh you think I couldn’t manage hmm?” He seemed rather amused as he noted “Ah well it’s a bit late for that.” He teasingly noted “I’m pretty sure these foreigners saw to that by leaving you half clad in clinging white.”

The priest of Apollo simply waited for their bantering to die down as he stood upon the beach. It was a somewhat impromptu ceremony having simply been ordained to transpire by the prince’s impatience. The priest turned to Kleitos as he remarked “And you speak for the father of this woman, as he is with us no more?” The Aeginan King nodded, and the priest continued as he inquired “And you agree that she shall be given from your house unto that of this man?” The affirmative nod again was given and the priest seemed contented with that.

The priest then seemed to fix his gaze upon Ambrosia as he inquired “And you whom is called Ambrosia, do you swear before the mighty Apollo - who with the passing of each day travels the sky and observes us all - that you will be a good, true, dutiful and obedient wife to this man..Androkles?” He seemed to wait for an affirmative response and then observed “Then you shall be no more a girl, but a woman and a wife. The keeper of the home, the hearth and children and the heart.”

Ceremoniously the priest’s hand would dip into a bowl of water and splash it across Ambrosia’s face. “Let you be pure.” And thereafter he produced a small knife and cut a singular lock of her hair “And considered a child no more.” Thereafter, the priest turned towards the armoured warrior and remarked “And you Androkles of Thessaly - you are agreeing that you take this woman as your wife?”

Androkles nodded his head in assent and remarked quite simply “Yes.” Thereafter, the priest intoned “Then you agree that by your hand you shall see her cared for and maintained, protected and cherished.” Again the prince answered affirmatively “Yes.” The priest then handed the prince an apple, and the warrior turned towards Ambrosia so that it could be eaten from his hand - a symbol that she was his to maintain. Once that was done the cleric would remark “Let what is done here by mortals be blessed by the gods.”

Certainly it was more traditional to have an elaborate affair for a wedding, especially between two members of royalty, but Ambrosia wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, the rather informal affair seemed more significant somehow, a symbol of what a true marriage represented. They were making a promise to each other in front of hundreds of refugees, before the gods, and on a land that was home to neither of them without a single frill or fanciful ceremony. Their vows were more important than decorations and festivities, though she knew there would be a celebration. It seemed more fitting of Ambrosia's humble personality to be wed in a manner such as this without any pretenses. She wished his parents were there to witness it, but she only hoped they were forgiving.

When the priest spoke to her brother, her fair eyes shifted to him. He nodded with a smile on his face, his affirmation seeming joyous. She could see it in his wise old eyes that he was content with this union, happy to see his sister departed to a man such as Androkles. Kleitos was a cautious man, and surely he saw the youth in the warrior, but he trusted him so quickly. Then again, the man had saved his sister from becoming a sacrifice for vile beasts. She thought of her parents then, wishing she could recall more of their memories. Yet, Kleitos had always assumed that role without complaint. He had cared for her from the beginning, ensuring that she grow up properly and behave like a princess should.

When the man turned to her, there was nothing but a smile upon her face. As Apollo was mentioned, she closed her eyes and lifted her face toward the heavens, wanting the god she worshiped to hear the sincerity in her promise to be good, true, dutiful, and obedient. "I do." She answered firmly, opening her eyes to let them wander over her groom. Her gaze sparkled, reflecting every word that the priest was saying to her. Indeed, she was no longer a girl but a woman with great responsibilities to a kingdom and now to a husband she would love until she crossed into the fields of Elysian.

Though she understood the significance of the traditional splashing of the water, her teeth sank into her bottom lip to keep from grinning at his words. Purity. Pure at heart, of course, but the man standing across from her had changed the literal sense of that word. As he snipped a lock of her dark waves, her eye stole a moment to wink at him rather playfully. She thought she saw her brother acknowledge it, but of course she would say nothing in the middle of her wedding ceremony.

Ambrosia watched her warrior's face when the cleric turned to him to have him make his vows. She was looking for any detection of hesitation or any hint of a flinch that meant he was insincere in his promises to her. Yet, she found nothing except for what she deemed as the truth. She stared at him in awe, somewhat disbelieving that this was actually happening to her. It was still unsettling that what should have been her death had given birth to a new life; she constantly thanked the gods for the blessing.

When the fruit was held out to her, she simply stepped forward toward it. Leaning into his hand, she opened her mouth to take a small bite, chewing slowly and silently. As their priest concluded the ceremony, she heard the crowd erupt into cheers. Kleitos laughed, too, the infection spreading to her. Her own melodious laughter chimed in as she smiled at her husband for the very first time as his wife.

Androkles let his gaze wander through the crowd of people whom had surrounded them variously locals, warriors from different cities and refugees from her own island. In some ways she’d gotten exactly what she’d desired as her own people were here with her. With the ship behind him a contingent of his own countrymen were also close at hand. In some ways Androkles squirmed rather uncomfortably as the ceremony went on - it was all so final, so definite. Doubt of the wisdom of his own actions which for the rather cavalier prince was a somewhat foreign sensation entered his mind.

After all he hadn’t even allowed himself a final orgy to seek to rid himself of such lingering impulses. Now he was to be marry to one woman, and the joys of a half a dozen at once were to be lost to him. Somewhat sullenly he wad left to wonder what had possessed him to rush ahead with things without properly thinking this through! But as his mind continued with its internal wrangling the ceremony seemed to carry on rather oblivious to it all. He heard Ambrosia’s answer and then the soft crunch as she bit into the fruit and he was married.

His eyes turned to Ambrosia then and settled upon her form once more. His lips easily formed a smile and his arm slipped about her waist. Within seconds all the doubts and uncertainty about the wisdom of what he’d plunged himself into were banished away. For here was this gorgeous creature who seemed inexplicably fond of him, well he had saved her life so perhaps not inexplicably. His eyes traced over her and he desire and affection surged through him seemingly unbidden. But he pulled that lithe form to him and he leaned in and let his lips crush against her own. He kissed her and everything seemed right.

A grin grace his lips as his hand drifted upwards to toy with a lock of Ambrosia’s hair. Seemingly oblivious to the people around him he observed “We’re married.” The accompanying grin seemed to indicate that that sat well with him. His fingers would wind through strands of hair, and he leaned in to kiss her again. A glimmer sparked in his eye as he murmured “Naturally we need to consummate the marriage.” His hand would roam from where it rested upon her lower back down to the curve of her bottom. Regardless of whatever festivities had been planned, Ambrosia’s husband appeared to have other things in mind.

That roguish smile graced his lips and he teasingly reminded her in rather low tones “I’m going to be a king you know. Having an heir is of vital importance.” His fingers would tighten upon her flesh as his head leaned down towards her. His forehead rested against her own, and then he seemed to recall that people were around them and seemed slightly surprised by it. But a grin graced his lips as his hand raised to wave to them.

He smiled ruefully as he noted “They aren’t going to let us go yet are they?” He observed somewhat reluctantly as he seemed to sigh slightly. His preference was evidently of a celebration of a more private sort rather than any manner of eating and drinking. But if nothing else he seemed to recognize that he was rather doomed to tolerate that particular sort of festivities at the moment. He grinned slightly as he noted “So what are we supposed to do now?”

There was so much great joy coursing through his bride that she didn't have a moment to notice perhaps a look of slight hesitation in his eyes. Ambrosia, of course, would have been grateful for the discrepancy the inner mind brought, and blessed by the gods was she that she was unable to hear his brief thoughts of doubt. His lips seemed so genuine as they curved into a smile, his arms so protective and strong as they curled about her waist. His wife wondered what he was thinking at that exact moment in time, what dangerous thoughts were racing through his mind as he smiled down on her. Then, he kissed her. The degree of passion and intensity within that kiss was insurmountable, sealing the final deal between them that she, the princess of Aegina, was his wife and he, the future king of Thessaly, was now her husband. Hands flew to his cheeks, warm palms cupping the soft flesh to hold his face steady as she placed lingering kiss after lingering kiss upon his smooth lips.

He broke the embrace between their mouths, his fingers lifting to weave through her pile of dark hair. The first words he spoke to her were comforting beyond understanding, an acknowledgment of what he had just done. She allowed him to again kiss her smiling lips while her hands rested on his face until, finally, they dropped to her sides. His next words caused her to laugh again, her head shaking slightly. "Oh, is that all you can think of?" She felt his hand dip down to the curve hidden beneath the fabric of the dress, a slightly blush painting her cheeks. Had he forgotten they were standing before a priest with a throng of people watching, including her own older brother, a king no less? But she heard her brother's deep laughter chime in with a great roar to confirm he had heard his new brother-in-law's words as well. "Have patience, husband!" She told him, only to see Kleitos step in line. "The man is married to a woman as beautiful as my sister and "have patience" she tells him!" Kleitos laughed again, clapping Androkles firmly on the back. "Congratulations. If you should decide to join us, we will be happy to celebrate this joyous occasion." With a wink to the prince, he leaned in and kissed his sister's cheek.

Her hot forehead rested to his, her teeth sinking into the flesh of her plush lips. "I think you shall find yourself holding an heir sooner rather than later." She returned the whisper, not wanting others to hear of their indiscretion or two prior to marriage. What would she claim to his parents when they held her baby, fat and healthy, before a proper amount of time had passed? Granted, the calendar would fall appropriately considering they had only known each other hardly more than two days. Two days. That was all the time they had allotted themselves to get to know each other before they rushed off to become husband and wife. If one were to have regrets it would be too late for them now, but Ambrosia didn't. She'd never been so sure of anything in her entire life, and being in his arms publicly did not make her want to cower away from it or the new duties she had just received.

Finally waking from his state of oblivion, he addressed the people with a wave. She followed suit, the crowd again cheering for the couple. Grasping his hand, she interlaced her fingers with his, clenching tightly to him. "No, they aren't going to let us go." She responded with a light laugh, slowly leading him down the beach toward the square. "Well, they have prepared a celebration for us. It would be terribly rude and disrespectful to decline what they have done. These people need a joyous occasion, especially the Aeginans, when all they have done lately is suffer. They are happy and wish to share it with us. We should be honored, Androkles." Lifting his hand to her mouth, she kissed it lightly. "I know you are impatient, but we have a new life to build together now."

She led him through a throng of people, smiling and nodding at them in greeting. Most of them reached out to touch one of them and some were even shedding tears. "If it pleases you, why don't you go talk with someone to secure that we have a place of privacy tonight? I will speak to my people and spend time with the refugees and once you are finished, we shall all dine together. Afterward, you know what is expected of us." She paused, allowing the statement to mislead him. "Why, we are Greeks, of course, so we shall dance!" Then, pressing herself into him, she stood on tiptoe to reach his ear. "Everyone shall be drunk on wine and while they celebrate with dancing, you and I shall slip off to be together. Does that suit you, husband?"

If Ambrosia wanted to know if that was all he could think of the answer was quite clearly - yes. The crimson blush that painted her cheeks was really rather fetching as Androkles’ hand groped the curve of her bottom rather lecherously. He heard the roar of his brother in law’s laughter as she told him to have patience but the brawny Thessalian felt anything but patient. He grinned to his wife as he remarked “Its entirely you’re fault.” He nodded rather firmly as he roguishly remarked “Why being that beautiful how should I help myself?” He winked to her and then pulled her back towards his body as he leaned in to kiss her once more.

He lofted a brow to her curiously as she suggested he’d have an heir in hand soon. His look seemed to question whether she knew something that he didn’t. Although he couldn’t really fathom that she’d be able to tell already, surely it was too quickly for some tangible sign? Yet if it was not the case already he would seek to ensure that it was rather rapidly. After all his inclination was to take her to bed and scarcely let her escape from it before he had to set off and save her island. Aside from the odd passage of sleep and the occasional meal. But quietly he murmured “Already?” As though asking if she suspected she already bore his child.

Whether it would be rude and disrespectful of him to decline the celebration or not he inquired “What if we just left for a while and came back…I’m sure they could start getting drunk without us.” Naturally this seemed perfectly reasonable and logical to him. But apparently building a new life involved him waiting while other people congratulated him and delayed him from getting what he wanted. Surely if he was already king he would not have to put up with these irksome delays! “Oh fine we’ll celebrate with them…for now.” He stated and then found a wineskin pressed into his hand. He flipped the cap of it open and took a rather long draught from it and then offered it to his bride as he mischievously said “Here since you want us to celebrate with everyone..”

As people seemed to wish to gain some measure of favour or luck from touching them, Androkles reverted into Future Monarch form and extended his hand to meet those of the crowd milling about them. He shook and clasped numerous hands and simply brushed up against others. As she suggested that he run off and find some place for them to stay later that night he simply grinned and remarked “I’ve been married to you for all of ten minutes and you’re already nagging me to run errands!” He turned around and called over his shoulder “Brother! Find me a palace or the closed thing you can.”

Seleukos shook his head and rolled his eyes before waving his assent. “Would you like me to seize it by force if necessary Androkles?” His tone was rather bemused as he inquired into the command in jest. Androkles rather good naturedly remarked “If they resist - take no prisoners.” He grinned roguishly “It has strategic importance.” His brother simply laughed knowing exactly what importance it had to elder sibling.

With that matter settled his arm slipped rather rightly around Ambrosia and pulled her fast against his side. He grinned to her as he remarked “Now lets get everyone drunk, full and dancing.” Quite naturally his ambition was ‘as soon as possible’, as now that he’d done the honourable thing and made an honest women out of Ambrosia he rather wished to enjoy his martial bed - repeatedly. His hand slipped down to grope her bottom once more. “Yes well I’m sure we shall do exactly what everyone expects of us.” After all he knew exactly what everyone expected him to do and he liked that idea.

But for the moment he walked with her towards where a roaring fire and tables and tends had seemingly been assembled. The sounds of flutes, hand drums and lyre all melding together in sweet music could be heard, and his nostrils flared as he smelled food. His stomach grumbled just enough to remind him that he was hungry, well hungry for food as well as other things evidently. He waved and shook hands as they made their way to the head table and there he’d sit down at the table with Ambrosia directly beside him. Naturally he leaned over to her and kept and arm wrapped around her, as without much prompting people had commenced drinking and dancing. But he filled a goblet and raised it high in a toast to encourage them all the same.

"My fault?" She looked at him incredulously as though his words were pure absurdity. "You are the one born a man with such strong impulses as those and yet you blame me, your wife for what goes on in your head? How silly if you, Androkles!" She was teasing him, though she didn't seem to be able to stop calling herself his wife. It was an odd thing to address herself as anyone's spouse, much less that of a prince who had been a practical stranger in almost her immediate past. She had a husband now, a person who had legally taken responsibility for her and pulled her from the house of her brother. She wasn't the trophy sort, lazy and useless, but maybe that was the type of wife he needed. She was an active woman, always willing and wanting to be in the lives of her people. If he needed someone more placid and dormant, he should have married a spoiled princess from far away.

He never failed to compliment her, though it did not disturb her humbleness. The gods loved her for her humility so she would do well not to gain an air of arrogance to her. Yet, they also seemed to favor Androkles, who was anything but modest. She watched his brow raise, his expression seemingly perplexed. "What is it it?" She asked, her head canting to the side inquisitively. "Is something wrong?" But as he murmured that simple word, it took her a moment to understand what he'd meant. "Oh, no!" Her laughter was suppressed, yet her grin could not help but greet him. "Didn't anyone teach you how these things work?" She teased, not meaning to insult his mother or whoever had taught him of the birds and bees. "No, Androkles, I simply meant that certain acts have already been exchanged between us that may have been expected to wait until the marriage bed." She was whispering again, intent on keeping that between the pair, though she knew most had already guessed it.

He suggested they leave and join in on the festivities later, though she knew him better than that. Once he was settled in for the night, she knew he would have no desire for leaving the warmth of his bed which would have meant they would completely miss the entire party. Ambrosia was a respectful woman who paid her dues when they were owed, thus she did not take kindly to this suggestion. Her disappointment must have been written on her face for her soon succumbed to her wishes. She thanked him with a kiss on the cheek, though her smile was wide and satisfied. "Thank you, I promise it shall be worth your wait." Taking the wineskin from him, she tilted it to her lips to take a healthy gulp. Passing it back to him, she shrugged. "What, did you think a princess only drank water?"

She separated herself from him for a moment, embracing faces she had thought would be lost forever. "Oh, Eirea, it's wonderful to see you!" She said to an older woman, kissing her on the cheek. "Oh, and the children are alright, too!" She bent then, kissing a young boy and girl as they clung to their mother's dress. She stood to hear him call her a nag, her foot playfully stomping in the sand. "Oh, not nagging, but if you wish for us not to have a place secured to ourselves then I suppose you're going to have to wait just that much longer to have what you desire, aren't you? So, really, it was for the good of your own welfare that I suggested it." Of course, though, he would not tear from her to complete such a task for himself. Instead, his poor brother was sent out to find a suitable place for them to share. "Oh, I see! Here I thought you didn't want to join in on the festivities, but I see you're so eager to attend them that you send your brother to do your work instead!" She teased, flashing him a wink.

He reached for her again, pulling her snugly against him. Her palm fell to his chest, resting there as the two walked farther into the center of the celebration. "Oh, please try to enjoy yourself. After all, I intend for this to be your only wedding." When they reached the head table, she took her rightful place next to him. The food was abundant and delectable, the fair aroma wafting to her nose. Every inch was covered with the richest of assortments from fresh fruits to a heaping roast. Her brother was seated opposite them while the other chairs were filling with others of importance. When he wrapped his hand around his goblet to lift it for a salute, she followed suit. The crowd did the same, raising their glasses high above them.

The prince simply grinned to her as she teased him. He leaned in towards her and his lips would brush against her neck as he noted “Definitely your fault.” Evidently he was entirely unmoved on her suggestion that the impulses he was born with were entirely his own fault not hers. “But alas you shall have to attempt to sate such strong impulses oh wife of mine.” He offered her a wink as he noted “And that is most certainly a monumental task love.“ Androkles didn’t think of his princess as a trophy, although she certainly had all the shine and sparkle of one. But he found her a fascinating creature otherwise what else could possibly have possessed him to marry her?

Androkles would nod as he evidently accepted that she’d simply been referring to their previous activities. He simply grinned and shrugged good naturedly as she suggested that no one had taught him how these things worked. “I think I know how it works very well in the general sense.” He simply added “Some women seem to have some strange supernatural sense of such things that eludes the male mind. So I’ve little idea what to expect beyond my part I it.” But his hand would drift along her side as he murmured softly “Some things are far too good to wait for.”

The prince could simply laugh as the wine skin was passed backed to him. “No I didn’t think so.” He teasingly noted “It was simply a less than princess-like gulp.” He seemed terribly amused as he remarked “My wife - who drinks like a soldier.“ But to the kiss on his cheek as she promised it would be worth his wait a mischievous smile graced his lips as he noted “I’ll hold you to that promise.” His lips twitched slightly as he added “Repeatedly.”

Androkles having delegated the errand running to his brother simply rather idly noted “A good leader knows when to delegate.” He smiled as he noted “And they aren’t throwing a party for him, so I should think his absence would be less keenly felt. Since you seem to think they are all waiting for us to be there.” His hand idly would rest on her as he made as if to lift her from her feet as he teasingly suggested “But if you’ve changed your mind and think that no one would notice either of us not being there…”

Androkles observed “I am trying to enjoy myself.” Although it was slightly ambiguous as to whether he intended that comment to suggest by dragging her away from the festivities he was trying to enjoy himself, or whether he was trying to enjoy himself by participating. Quite naturally he didn’t elect to clarify. He seemed happy to oblige in laying into the feast that was set before him with a certain gusto. The prince found that a state of nervous energy did seem to lend itself to developing a bit of hunger.

Androkles drank deeply from his cup at his salute. Somewhat predictably it was followed by calls for more toasts. One of the Thessalian soldiers jumped to his feet and with a lifted cup yelled “To the prince!” Naturally the entire contingent from Androkles’ homeland could hardly refuse to drink to that, nor did most any soldier refuse excuse to drink when the wine was all being brought to them at no charge. After goblets were drained in that cause, the Alcaeus the prince’s friend rose and suggested “And to Princess Ambrosia the newest Thessalian!”

Approval was roared, glasses were filled and another toast now to the princess was drank. Androkles looked over at Ambrosia and simply grinned “They’re going to drink this island dry before the night is out.” In a bemused fashion he also noted “And I’m quite sure father’s should lock up their daughters as Thessalian soldiers with a belly full of free wine shall be reluctant to leave the night empty handed.”

Her new husband was not only eager, he was relentless. Her lips pursed toward him in mock anger, her brows setting lowly over her pristine eyes. "Absolutely not. Don't you think everyone would notice that the two guests of honor were missing, Androkles?" But the forced scowl faded away, giving way to her usual cheery expression. "The gods are intending to teach you patience, my love, and I believe I have been chosen as the vessel in which to carry out their wishes. So, I shall fulfill my duty to those I serve and worship by doing just that: teaching you patience." She paused, leaning over to kiss his cheek. "Good, I want you to enjoy yourself." And while he didn't bother to clarify his statement, she didn't bother to delver further into the context either. She could simply take it at face value and assume he meant the festivities for their wedding, though she knew that he had meant something else entirely.

Her tongue was delighted by the pure taste of the wine, her mouth content to have the richness of the liquid soaring through her bloodstream again. Just as she was making the motion to set the glass down, a soldier interrupted her by rising to his feet. Another toast was made, this time to her husband. Turning toward him, she tilted her goblet to toast to the prince's health. "To you." She told him as the remainder of the crowd recited his name. Another healthy gulp was gone and just as she was ready to finally put that cup to rest, Alcaeus surprised her by rising to salute her as their new princess. The act was so humbling, her head nodding toward him in gratitude for his acceptance of her.

By the time her wrist returned the goblet to the table, she was feeling somewhat lighthearted due to all the wine, though it was only in addition to being a bride. Hearing him, she laughed heartily. "We are all Greeks. Of course they are going to drink until there is nothing left!" Leaning over to him, she nuzzled her nose against his neck. "They are succeeding in making your wife's inhibitions nearly disappear." She whispered, teeth barely raking across his skin. "I bet you'd have luck with anything you wanted tonight." She told him before returning upright into her own seat.

At the mentioning of the soldiers and their lustful intentions, she arched her brow to him. "Oh, and should I worry about one of your soldiers attempting to leave with me?" Grinning, she began to enjoy the feast while music played in the background. Just when she finished her meal, her brother rose to his feet. "I am going to retire." He announced, leaning over to kiss his sister at her crown. "Welcome home, my beautiful Ambrosia. Goodnight, sister, and remember to treat your husband well tonight!" He roared with laughter as he walked away, clapping Androkles on the back as he left.

"I am going to dance." She told the prince, rising from her chair as well. "Let me know when your brother has secured something for us and we will leave." Leaning down to capture his lips roughly, she winked. "But don't keep me waiting too long, Androkles." With that, she danced her way toward the masses, her laughter carrying out despite the noise of the musical instruments.

Back
Top Bottom