Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Royal Runaway (Distain and Autumn)

Though Gianna resented the snide comment referring to her leaving him "in the dust", she fell silent to listen to his story. She was still with him out of moral obligation, for her had done her many favors by not only sheltering a strange woman but also lying to the royal guard for her protection. Money would assist him, but he had piles of work that needed to be completed. She felt guilt for wanting to leave, but she had no other tethers to this man. He had his own life and she was eager to start hers, though she could envision it to be one of solitude.

When the tale had ended, she reached a soft hand over to his shoulder. "She should not have left you." Her voice was soft and nurturing, her hand smooth as it rubbed down his arm. "You killed a man, that is frightening." She admitted, though she did not recoil from him. "He seemed like a dangerous man, but how reckless it was of you to burn down your forge from it. If you truly miss your father then you should leave this place and return to him. Sell your land and live in happiness once again."

"I am happy here and my father made his choice to live with out my family. "He spoke softly a tinge of bitterness in his voice as he was a bit angry that his father had abandoned his mother. He smiled as her hand touched his arm sending a chill threw his body making him sigh happily. "Stay with me for a week. Then we can leave together. " He smiled looking over at her biting his lip lightly. He did not like the idea of leaving his new home so soon but if he could leave with her it would be worth it.

"He lives far from the reach of your king in a land where you can be as free as anyone else. With the battles going on there i will be in more demand then i am in this small town. " He smiled the idea of spending a some time on the road with her made him happy. It would mean that he and would have lots of time to talk to her make her feel more comfortable. He could teach her how to be more domestic and it would make the pair come together more.

"Leave together?" Companionship. Gianna had been bound so closely to people all her life that she was enjoying the thought of gaining freedom and living on her own. Her spirit was independent, wanting badly to succeed without depending on anyone. Just Flame and herself on a piece of land such as this. She entertained the idea of purchasing his home from him so he could return to wherever he wished, but in truth, it was too close to her kingdom for comfort. If the guard should return on their way back, she would have no way of hiding herself from them. They would force her to return so she could be dealt with by the king, himself.

"If you insist I stay with you for a week then I will do so simply because I feel I should help you in return for how you helped me. But, leaving together makes no sense to me. Do you like this land or do you wish to reside where your father is? You cannot have both, Stephen. You must make a choice." She dropped her head, pulling her eyes away from his. "I cannot go with you. It is dangerous for you to be seen with me."

He let out a long drawn out sigh and turned going over to the forge silently dropping a large metal plate down onto it sealing it to put out the fire. He then took everything he had left out and put them away in the storage bin down below the forge. Once that was done he grabbed everything she was not currently working on and placed it into the bin as well. He was so angry and frustrated every time he opened a door for her to accept him she pushed him away.

He sighed and prepared Flame for travel, he was going to take her to town to buy some cloths and place his home up for sale. He had suddenly lost all interest in this nation he figured he never should have came here. His mind was regretting nearly every decision he had made since his sister left. He glanced at the woman setting at the bench as he locked the storage area a sad look on his face. Why was she refusing to be with him? Did she really not understand that he was more then willing to accept those risks or did she just not care?

As confused as he appeared to be, Gianna was willing to bet she was even more so. She had a thousand thoughts racing through her mind, all coinciding to try to drive her insane. He was a nice man, had even risked his own neck- quite literally- to help her. When she was cold and frightened, he had kept her company. Even when she had been daring enough to ask him to act inappropriately by sharing the bed with her, he had been a perfect gentleman. She doubted little he would be a marvelous companion, but even he was willing to take the risks now she was certain he would change his tune when facing the guillotine. If she had been more selfish, she would agree to follow him, but she was pushing him away for his own well-being.

His aggravation was evident in every move he made, the man throwing and shuffling things about. He seemed to storm off, preparing to take her horse out. "Wait!" She called out to him, racing behind him. Gianna grasped his hand firmly, stepping in front of him. "Please, do not feel disgruntled or rejected. You have been too kind. You think you are willing to go to any lengths for me, but do you really mean it? Do you realize what would happen if we are caught? Your fate would be sealed and your death certain. I am hardly more than a stranger to you. I am not worth this risk."

He did not stop getting the horse ready slipping the saddle on him and tightening the straps. He looked at her while she spoke letting out a soft sigh. She was right he was risking so much just allowing her to stay in this house. He had no clue why he was doing that something about her made him want to go with her and protect her. Not knowing why he was trying so hard keep her around was driving him mad. He looked at her walking Flame over to her he was still going to continue his plan if she would not come with him there was nothing he could do.

"I am going to sell my home and move you are more then welcome to come with me. I would prefer it you need someone to watch your back who knows what they are doing and i could use the companionship. As it stands we need to go to town and buy you some clothing did you bring your money with you? "He glanced at her taking a deep breath he needed to remain calm and take things one step at a time. "And you owe me nothing stop trying to pay me back for doing the right thing. "

He continued to bustle around her, seeming to ignore the questions that she asked. She pulled from him, reaching out to grasp his arms as he tightened the belt underneath her marvelous horse's belly. "Would you stop, please? I am perfectly capable of tending to my own horse!" She stamped her foot, growing irritated by him. "If you want to be a fool and go on with this quest, by all means accompany me! You're so pig-headed you won't even listen to rational words. Why you're, you're just-" she paused, trying to find a word suited for him "plain ignorant, you are!"

Gianna shook her head, pursing her lips. "No, I left all my money in the house for you. It's unnecessary for you to sell your home on a whim. You've built a life here. You want to travel the roads with me, fine, but what happens when we decide upon separate paths. You'll be without a home, then. Is that really what you want?"

He groaned and walked over to her he was not thinking clearly or he would have not done what happened after he got to her. He placed on hand on her lower back the other on neck his thumb rubbed her cheek bone lightly his fingers curled into her hair holding her head lightly. His mind was screaming for him to stop he was only going to get hurt she was royalty what should she want with him. His heart was crying to feel love again and it was telling him it could find it in her.

He took a slow deep breath and with out warning he pressed his lips into her's kissing her softly at first. Then allowing the kiss to continue as passionately as she would allow for as long as he could. When he finally broke the kiss he did not step back merely opening his eyes and pulling back just enough for their lips to part. "This is not a home. It is simply wood that i nailed together to keep me safe while i slept. A home is not a building but an idea and i am hoping to find a home where ever we decide to stop traveling. I truly hope that the event you speak of never happens. But if it does i shall continue my journey until i find a place that no does not remind me of you and there i shall build a forge and a house and live out my days. " He stared deeply into her eyes as he spoke praying to find some glimmer in them that she felt the same way he did.

Ears heard the groan, the Duchess mimicking it with one of her own to match. Blue eyes were narrow as they watched him stalk toward her, the woman straightening her stance to prepare to strike him if need be. Frustrated beyond all reasonableness, she was not above physically lashing out at him. However, the closer he came to her the more relaxed her body seemed to become until the angry expressions on her face melted away. She watched his arm reach out until his hand was against her lower back while the other simply lifted to caress her cheek until she felt his fingers folding into her hair. She dared not to move, not even to breathe while his head dipped in to hers.

When his lips made contact, she did not protest. Instead, the softest, sweetest sound rolled off her tongue and into his mouth. Slowly, she lifted her arms to encircle his neck so that he was held closely to her. She felt his lips tug away, hovering only inches above her face. "I hope you understand you are giving up a normal life. You will be running from this moment until your very last if you choose to stay with me. There will be no peace and fear was always linger in the back of your mind. If you travel with me, you're no longer a separate person but will be seen as my accomplice. If I'm taken, you will be, too, and no amount of pleading for your life on my part will help you. You will be doomed." Her voice was a whisper, meant only for him to hear. She would not stop him if he chose to come, but she wanted him to understand the severity of that decision.

He looked into her eyes seeming to look to her very soul his eyes he stared into her eyes for several long moments. Soon he took a breath relaxing slightly his voice was just as soft as her's. "If you are take... I will be dead. " He leaned in kissing her neck just below her ear whispering softly his breath washing over her neck. "If we reach my father's land we will be safe even your king does not have the power to reach there. "

He held her for several long moments taking a deep breath just enjoying feeling her body pressed against his. He sighed happily enjoying her sent and relaxing his thumb running over her cheek bone again as he pulled his head back to look into her eyes again. "I am willing to fight anyone for a chance to be happy. Since you arrived here i have felt happier then i have since my sister left. I will do anything to keep that feeling. " He said pressing his lips lightly into her's again a shiver running down his spine as he enjoyed the way her lips felt against his.

"Yes, you will be dead." There was no hint of emotion in her voice, the woman simply stating the facts. To her, he still seemed so foolish for wanting to do this, though she assumed he was trying to tackle a heroic role. Heroes weren't valiant; they were just ignorant fools who got themselves killed. She felt his lips fall to the delicate skin below her earlobe, his breath tickling her flesh. "If we reach it." She stated, letting him hold her against him. She listened to him go on about fighting for her, though she wanted to tell him it was a death sentence. She had spoken enough on the subject, however, choosing to fall silent. His lips dipped to hers again, Gianna pursing hers to return it. "Then I hope for your sake that we are not caught."

"From this moment on you let me worry about everything. You simply listen to me and enjoy your freedom. " He smiled he had dealt a flight to freedom before he could handle the stress of doing it again. He slowly pulled back his hands moving to her sides gripping her lightly. "I know how much you despise the idea of letting me be in charge but it will be easier for us both. I have done this once before i can do it again. Besides i want you to be happy not stressed all the time. "

He stared into her eyes taking a deep breath before backing up dropping to a knee. "I have my coin pouch with me you can just give me the money back when we get home. " He spoke softly offering his hand to help her up onto her horse. He was fairly certain she would not need it but he wanted to offer simply to be polite. His eyes looked up at hers a smile on her face he wanted so badly for things between them to stop being so stressful and he hoped this would do it.

"Listen to you?" She scoffed at the thought, both unwilling and unable to take in stride anything anyone ever said to her. Her mind was as solid as a brick wall, impenetrable and unyielding. She was too independently spirited for her own good, a nonconformist and revel against society. She cared little for what life demanded from her, thus the reason she wanted to run free on her own. She knew he meant well, but his execution was poor. He thought she wanted someone to carry the burden of stress, but she didn't. That was hers, not his. "You think experience in flight makes you an expert? That's rather reckless, don't you think?"

Shaking her head to him, she walked off toward his house. She would not accept his money, her mind still not settled on what she would do. Gianna loathed commitment, though she felt like she was obligated to give it to him. He was giving up his solidity to follow around a strange woman who knew nothing about responsibility or what she wanted from life. Pushing the door open forcefully, she dropped down on the floor and retrieved her hidden pouch. Returning, she grasped his hand and pushed several coins into his palm. "Keep it, do not argue, please." Rubbing Flame's mane, she hoisted herself up on his back and tucked away her pouch into the saddlebag.

"I do not understand why you insist on paying me! I have done nothing but offer you simple hospitality. The only thing i have done with you that i would not have done for anyone who asked is share a bed with you. " He spoke softly looking at her before starting to walk into town. He had no horse and would be forced to buy one though the more stubborn she got the less he felt like he wanted to go along. "Of the pair of us who do you think would be the best suited to make the decisions in a flight to freedom? A man who has made such a flight a man who knows how to wield a blade if needed, or someone who barely knows how to cook who has spent exactly one night outside of a palace where everyone around her wants nothing more then to make her life as easy as possible. "

His voice had groan bitter he was sick of having his offers of aid batted away like some form of insult. He was offering to give up everything for her and she was acting as though he was trying to steal from her. He grew silent and walked quickly away from horse throwing the coin onto the ground in frustration. He was sick of being treated like he was some form of lesser person who was only helping her for coin.

She had no intentions of making him walk- up until the very minute he started throwing back insults at her. "I cannot help being born to privilege any more than you can help being born as a pauper." The words were bitter and laced with acidity. They weren't true, of course, except they were. She could not control the origin of her life any more than he could, but she had not looked down upon him because of it. Instead, she thought her actions had proven how much she had wanted his freedom and ability to do everything on his own. She didn't wish for servants and a life of luxury. If she had, she would have stayed behind the high palace walls. "Thank you for your hospitality, but this is where it ends. You think me nothing more than a spoiled brat, but I've done everything within my power to try to prove otherwise. Don't you see? I envy you. Our lives are separate, though, and shall never be one. This is where I say good-bye."

She glanced at him one last time before tugging on Flame's reins to turn him in the opposite direction. Digging her heels into his sides, she and the horse shot out toward the country to continue their journey. She knew not the course of fate or where it would lead either of them. Perhaps she would be captured and dragged back to face the King. Maybe he would find a woman better suited for him. At any rate, she wished him peace and a life of contentment.

Stephen wanted to call out to her when she rode off but he knew it would be a waist of time. In frustration he turned and swung in a wild punch the forge was closer then he thought. He landed a vicious punch on the iron hood of the forge his hand hand a loud clang and a sick crunch as he felt a bone brake in his hand. He screamed in pain his eyes going black as pain shot threw his entire body gasping as he gripped his injured hand. He quickly turned and walked the 10 minuets into town to see the doctor.

Over the course of the next month he looked for someone to buy his forge he his hand in a cast preventing him from doing any work. It took him just over a month to find someone who could pay the price for the home and the building. He was visited several times buy the kings guard asking him about the horse and its rider but every time he told them the same story. Adding only that he sold it the next day to a rider heading the opposite way she had rode off in. Once he had sold his home he packed all his belongings that he could not easily replace and started riding away. He would ride until he found a forge looking for someone to work for a short time. He would stay here for a week 2 at the most then ride off.

He rather enjoyed the freedom his new life gave him though he longed to find a home and have a family. He had been traveling nearly a year when he rode into the small town 3 countries away from the forge he built by hand. He had all but forgotten about the young women that stole his heart so long ago. He rode into town his eyes scanning it slowly like he did every town he entered. It was getting late and he needed to stop for the night. He checked his horse into the stable and went into the inn paying for a night and setting down to eat dinner.

Back
Top Bottom