Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Royal Runaway (Distain and Autumn)

"I have to go start the fire in the forge or it wont be hot enough till lunch. I will come in and cook breakfast for you before taking you out to the forge. Do you have any more cloths or should i take your money and go and get you some from town tonight?" He smiled slipping on his shoes taking a deep breath relaxing as he stood up.

He had no clue how he would explain going around buying woman's clothing but he was certain he would find a way. He only hoped that the royal guard would not come back if they did he would offer them her horse just to get them to go away. Not having her horse anymore would make it hard for them to find a reason to come back. "I have some books in a crate in the closet if your going to stay in hiding all day i would recommend finding one if you can read." He did not mean to sound rude saying it like that but the reason he had the books was just that his mother could not read and his father had left them some books.

Ah, responsibility. Here, in this world, people worked to make a living. If the flames in his shop were not hot enough to heat his iron properly, he couldn't quickly attend to his customers. Every second he slept in was a coin lost; luxuries like sleep were not permitted for anything more than necessity. "No, let me cook." The words had slipped out before she had thoroughly thought them through. Gianna, cook? Yes, cook themselves right into a burning building.

"I brought another simple garment in my bag. I couldn't afford the space in the bag to bring anything more. Besides, I didn't have anything other than frilly dresses. I do require some other work attire so that I may do chores with you. If I'm going to be here, I'm going to pull my weight." She pushed herself up into a sitting position, stretching her tired legs. "I am not a seamstress so I would need you to find one for me, please. I can send my measurements and have someone tailor it for me. I know it will seem suspicious, but I'm not sure how else to go about it. Of course, if you'd let me out of your house I could ride to town long enough to secure my clothes and come back."

"Have you ever cooked before? Because if not i will teach you...we can cook together. " He smiled looking at her deciding today would be a good day to take some time off. "I will stay with you today and show you how to do the chores around here. Then... I will go into town if anyone asks i will simply say my sister rode in and needed some cloths. " He smiled walking over to her smiling looking at her offering her his hand to help her up.

"Be careful on that ankle please i would hate to have to fetch you a doctor. " He smiled looking into her eyes and letting out a happy sigh. He very much enjoyed the company he had in bed last night and hoped that it would not it would be something they could do regularly.

Gianna untangled herself from the linens, sliding over to the opposite side of the bed toward him. Planting her feet on the floor, she pushed up to a full stance. Her ankle protested, but it did not hurt as much as it had the night before. "Stop fretting about my ankle, Stephen. It's a mere sprain. It's a much less injury than what I could have obtained considering I was hanging from that contraption!"

Her hands attempted to smooth some of the wrinkles from her clothes, pulling and tugging at the green and white fabrics. Her laces had come untied, the brightly covered overlay loosening itself on her body. "I see no reason for you to abandon your duties because of me. If you insist on riding into town yourself, then fine. I can figure everything else out on my own."

"I had a mule once... it was conciderably easier to get to do things it did not want to do." He smiled chuckling as she fought with the wrinkles in her clothing."You will never get those out your stuck with them until you clean the clothing. "He chuckled looking into her eyes it was going to be very entertaining watching her get used to taking care of the house. He only hoped that she would allow him to hide her in case someone came back looking for her again.

He smiled turning and leaving the room over to the kitchen and began to pull out the ingredients for breakfast. Bacon a few eggs some bread and a few apples he was not sure how much she ate but he would offer her all he had. He did not prepare any of it he knew she wanted to learn and he would teach her he just hoped she would not hurt herself.

There was as much anger coursing through her veins as there was pure determination. He regarded her like a child, too stupid and incapable of doing anything on her own. He inadvertently threw her title back into her face, laughing at her privileged life. It was not her fault she was born into that life. She had been shamelessly ungrateful for it, always wishing she could be free. She had been kind to her servants, never once condescending. She envied them, though they all thought her crazy for it. At least, even as paupers, they were free to give their love to whomever they wish.

She stormed off behind him, following him into the kitchen. In their castle, the kitchen was separated from the living quarters, simply because of the large open fire used for cooking. It was a place she did not venture into often simply because her family would not allow it. She glanced at the various ingredients deciding what to do. "I'll just have an apple, thanks." She said, giving up on the idea of dropping the eggs into a pot of water, which she would have to boil over a fire, which she'd have to build.

"Is something wrong? Did i offend you? " He turned to face her handing her the apple a concerned look on his face. He never once meant to insult her or throw it in her face that she was over a certain rank. He was just commenting on how she was extremely stubborn he liked that about her though it would make things challenging.

Once she was done he took a deep breath sadly turning to the stove opening a door to a small woodshed connected to the house. He took a deep breath and began filling the stove with wood before lighting it and closing the small stove stepping back to let it heat. "Are you certain you do not want me to help you today? If you are sure i will go light the forge while the stove heats."

"No, I'm not offended. I just simply wish to not be treated like a child, that's all." She observed him while he pushed the wood into the stove to build a fire within it. She was determined to succeed, to make him the best breakfast he would ever eat.

"No, it's alright if you go start your forge. I think I'm capable to handle the affairs within the house if you tell me what all you wish to be done." It may not be pretty when she had completed everything, but it would be finished. Caked in soot and dirt she might be, but he would not be able to say she did not give it her all.

"For the next couple days I would very much appreciate it if you would please come out to the forge and stay in my storage room. You can clean it if you like i do not mind but ... if the royal guard return i don't want them finding you in the house alone. At least if they find you there i will have a chance to defend you you. " He looked over at her as he walked to the front door opening it. "We can discuss it this more when i get back from lighting the forge, I will be back in a short time. "

He smiled and looking at her his eye sparkling as caught her's clearly he felt something for her but he was not certain he should. He smiled moving away and to the forge he worked quickly tossing large amounts of wood into the pit and lighting it on fire. He watched it for several minuets before he left to come back to the house a spring in his step as he entered the house.

Gianna waited until he had walked through the door of the house before she breathed again. When she did, her breath was not a quiet exhale but an audible, if not obnoxious, laughter. The thought of him trying to defend her against the guards was utterly absurd. Valiant, sure, but foolish nonetheless. She wouldn't criticize any sword skills he may possess, but the Royal Guard were trained defenders to the King and deadly offenders when they needed to be. If they found her, there would be nothing he could do to stop them from taking her with them. She was property to the king for her abandonment, and he would do well to not admit he was harboring someone seen as a traitor to the crown.

While he was away, she went outside with a pail to fetch some water to boil. Lugging it in with both hands, she returned to the kitchen area and poured the water into a metal pot she had sitting atop the stove over the fire. The eggs were dropped in, letting them boil. The strips of pork were already smoked and just needed to be heated in a pan over the fire, or so she hoped. Hearing the door open, she brushed the hair out of her eyes and stood proudly by the cooking food.

"Your cooking? And the house is not on fire!?" He smiled walking over to her quickly throwing his arms around her laughing loudly."I am so proud of you. " He winked as he pulled away and moved to set down watching her cook. "I do want you to know that no matter what they are not going to get you easily. " He spoke softly taking a long slow breath closing his eyes he had defended his forge against attackers before he would do it again for her.

"What exactly do you hope to find in your new life? " He could not think of how to word the question in a way to ask her if she wanted a family or just her freedom. He was fairly certain that he should not ask that question anyways because it would be very rude. He certainly hoped that she was looking for a family maybe with any luck ... he could convince her to fall for him she was lovely and had a great heart.

She found humor in his comment, adding her own melody of laughter. Though, his words did have some truth. It was a miracle the fire hadn't gotten out of hand and spread throughout the structure. "Thank you." With a wooden spoon molded in the shape of a ladle, she dipped out the boiled eggs and served them to him in a bowl. The bacon was arranged on a plate with some bread and an apple to balance out the diet. "Here we go. My first prepared meal." The bacon may have been a little too crispy, but it was certainly edible.

Picking up the apple he had given her earlier, she walked around to the opposite side of the table and sat down. Biting into the juicy fruit, she chewed it slowly. "You say that, but I do not expect you to sacrifice yourself or the life you have made for me. I'm just a stranger. If I'm to be apprehended, you are to let them. Do you understand?" She hadn't meant to be so commanding, but it had been in her nature for years to give some orders. Of course, even though she had given up her life as a noblewoman, she did expect him to follow her instructions.

"My new life?" She shrugged, taking another bite while she pondered the question. "Freedom, I suppose. The ability to be in control of my own life. I want to find a trade of my own and make money so that I may buy a modest house with land for planting flowers and vegetables. I want a barn for Flame and a hillside that hopefully my future children can play on. Of course, that would mean I would need a man, but not just any. I don't want an arranged marriage. I'd rather be poor and in love."

"Then be rich and have none. " He finished her statement looking up at her as he took a bite of the bacon. He enjoyed it he preferred his bacon a bit crispier then normal, while he chewed the bacon his fork began to work quickly dissecting the eggs to prepare a sandwich on the bread. His heart had broken when she was about half way threw the her statements about her wanting her own home.

"What are you looking for in a trade, or in a husband. " He looked up at her his voice peeking a bit when he mentioned a husband. He wanted to know what she would hope to find in her husband so he could see if it was him. His fork gently prodded the food nervously as he waited for the response to his question. Realizing he was acting very off he pulled back and and began eating trying to pretend he was not overly interested in her response.

Gianna smiled as he inserted the other half to her statement. "Yes, exactly." As he chewed his food, she fell silent, observing his expressions as he ate. Her teeth munched on the juicy fruit, savoring the sweet taste. Turning it over in her hands, she finished it.

"In a trade, I don't know. I'm not really sure what I'm good at. Reading books, is that a trade?" She teased, shaking her head. When he asked what she was looking for in a husband, she shrugged. "I don't know. Kindness and caring, I suppose. Responsible and independent. Someone who would rescue a girl hanging upside down." She laughed, propping up her elbow and leaning her chin on her hand.

"Probably one who would think to cover her back up before waking her. " He chuckled softly finishing his meal leaning back smiling his eyes locking onto hers as he nibbled at the apple that remained. "Well for some it can be but i don't think there is anyone around her looking to pay a scholar. "

He smiled looking into her eyes seeming lost just enjoying her presence of her company. "What all will you need to keep you busy for the day in my cellar? I would really prefer you come with me that way they will not find you in here if they come again looking for you. " He looked into her eyes hoping that she would never have to see the part of him his father had given him. He knew though that if she was found here he would have to show her just that.

Frankly, Gianna did not want to be shut up in his cellar all day. She didn't like damp, dark places where neither the sunlight nor the moonlight could reach. Without windows and fresh air, it would feel less like a cellar for storage and more like a place to imprison the woman. Besides, she knew well dust wasn't the only thing that lived down there. Creepy creatures like snakes and spiders would be crawling about, inhabiting the area as well. "Really, I don't think I can stay down there all day. I'm not really the hiding type."

Drumming her fingers on the table, she looked around. "Wouldn't you rather I clean the kitchen and help you out in other ways? Really, I honestly don't want to be down there."

"I can bring you some sowing and you can work at my bench if the guard comes you can slip in before they see you. "He looked at her standing up going to clean his plate at the sink he sighed he really just wanted an excuse to be with her for the remainder of the day he smiled as he put the plate away and looked at her chuckling.

He turned to face her drying his hands on his shirt smiling at her brightly. "That is if you would not mind doing some sowing. Or just talking to me while i worked. I have always enjoyed having some one to talk to while i worked that is if you would not mind listening to the constant pang of my hammer all day. "

Gianna didn't know how to sew either, nor did she think she could accomplish any task that fell into the domestic category. Her job at home had been to present herself well in society and be charismatic and charming in conversation. She could woo any one with her persuasive words, but that would not apply well here. "I don't know how to sew or do anything that you may think a woman should do. I could hardly cook. I wouldn't even know how to make a stitch, but I'd be happy to try."

She rose, smoothing her hands over her dress. She wanted clean clothes and a bath, a luxury she missed. Picking up a towel, she wrapped it around the handle of the pot and walked out toward the back door. Dumping out the excess water, she carried it down to the well to wash it out. When she was finished, she came back in. "I would like to be with you today, but only if I can do something productive."

"Then i will go to get some of my torn cloths and a small sowing kit. I will show you how to start and finish the stitch then set you to work." He smiled looking at her patting her cheek before turning and heading up the ladder and up stairs tossing down 2 handfuls of clothing before climbing down. Smiling at her a small leather kit tucked into the front of his pants as he re gathered up the clothing.

"If you do a good job maybe ill even pay you. " He chuckled looking at her as he turned and walked from the house forgetting he had not gotten her the shoes he had promised the night before. His mind was swirling badly and it was difficult for him to focus at the moment.

Gianna felt slightly sorry for him if he depended upon her to mend his clothes. She could only imagine the blotchy repair job she would do in the fabric. Instead, she thought, it may just be better to actually go and purchase something new for him. That was the easy way out, she told herself. Money had always been an easy fix in her family. If something was broke, don't fix it. Just buy a new one.

"No, I will accept no pay for anything I do here. I'm the one imposing on your home. I will pay you for your hospitality instead." She bent her ankle, the pain hardly even noticeable. "My ankle is feeling much better, really. I may even be ready to leave by tomorrow morning." She smiled at him, certain he would be happy to have her out of her hair. With his clothes in tow, he waled away from her. Going outside, she followed behind him.

When she said she would be ready to leave tomorrow the smile he had carried the entire morning vanished. He turned his head quickly hoping to mask the fact that his heart was shattered by that. He was hoping she would stay here he liked having her in his home it brought the empty lifeless home to life and gave it a homey feeling. He grew silent as he reached the forge and pulled the massive thigh high log he used to split wood over to his work bench so she could have a place to sit.

He began tossing logs into the fire pit from the pile a few feet away as he moved the wood he reviled a door flush with the ground. Soon he had restacked the wood and produced the key to the door and opened it quickly. He walked down the small stairwell and gathered the things he would need today. Several horseshoes, a few small knives, a bucket of nails, one long sword that did not look new enough for him to have forged it. He placed everything on the far end of the work bench from her and set to stoking the fire.

As soon as they walked across the hill to the shop, she could sense the drastic change in the atmosphere. A certain veil of somberness had fallen over him, like he had grown sullen from something she had said. Surely, he did not want her to go. He did live alone, of course, with no company. The two were akin in that they were loners even though she had been surrounded by people her entire life. She felt very guilty for leaving him behind, but her destiny was meant elsewhere. His company was enjoyable, but she wished not to burden him any longer. They were not married, which would have been a scandal for both of them, regardless of their separate stations.

She took the pile of clothes and sat on the very end of the bench, far away from his work. There was a thread and needle plunged through one of them, like he had already started the mending. She ran her fingers along the hem, noticing the small tear in it. Turning it inside out, she studied the stitches. Picking up the needle and thread, she began to sew into it, pulling the tattered garment back together. When she was done, she knotted it and clipped it with her teeth. "Hmm." She said, putting it down and grabbing a pair of trousers. "Oh, how did you manage this tear?" She asked, laughing at the rip across the backside. "Little snug?"

"Well I did not quite mean to bend that far. " He chuckled looking at her taking a deep breath wondering if he should talk to her about where she was going. After a few moments of preparing he walked over to the work bench setting down on anvil watching her work. He kept a close eye on the iron in the forge looking for any reason to hold her here a bit longer. "Where do you intend to go I mean. How far do you intend to flee? " He spoke softly looking into her eyes.

He had began to dig into the work bench with a lose nail scratching aimlessly into the hard wood. His mind clearly wondering some where specific as the pattern he was carving into the wood matched that on the hilt of the blade. "You know your more then welcome here as long as you like to stay i really do not like the idea of you trodding off on your own. "

"I see. Let you remember this exposure the next time you start to stoop over." She grinned at him, putting aside one piece of clothing to work on the next. It really wasn't a difficult task, running a threaded needle through a strip of fabric to sew two halves back into one. "I really had no intentions or plans. As much as I would like to settle down, perhaps Flame and I will tour the world." She smiled, keeping her eyes on her work. "You know, ride as far as we can go. We can never return home unless I concoct some elaborate lie in which we were terribly kidnapped by bandits and dragged across the kingdom." She paused then, glancing at him. "Too dramatic, really. Perhaps I should just give it up and go back. Death is no worse than imprisonment. In fact, at least I would be free then."

As the nail scraped into the bench, she leaned far over to see what he was drawing. "Oh, are you preparing for battle?" She asked him in a teasing manner, holding up her tiny needle as a mock weapon. "My blade against yours." Eye squinted in a wink before she continued to mend the last garment. "I very much appreciate your offer. You have been marvelous kind, really. However, I'm not your charge and whether you like it or not, it is my decision as to whether I stay or go. I will finish your laundry and the chores I set out to do. It must be very hard to tend to everything yourself, and it is my wish to help you. I'm not very skilled in domestic affairs, but it's best I learn." The clothing completed, she placed it down. Her hand reached out to his arm, just resting atop it. "You really should find a wife to help you. It is hard to believe you really do not have one already."

"I was engaged once... She refused to follow me after ... " He looked at her taking a deep breath sighing sadly his mind wandering slightly looking up at the beautiful woman across the work bench from her. " I told you last night i would tell you my story. I suppose i should do that now since it seems you wish to leave me in the dust along with your old life. " He smirked up at her hoping at least to make here think twice for a moment.

"My father is a knight currently to my knowledge living far far away in what ever kingdom our king has decided to take over last. I have seen him twice in my entire life. Once when i was young and once more not long after i turned 18. He brought me that sword for my birthday and told me how to find him. He said he would not be returning again and i was his only heir to his lands in the east. " He sighed taking a deep breath looking up at her his hand finally calming and not moving.

"Four years ago Rebbecca got married and i met a girl at her wedding. A little less then a little over 2 years ago i proposed. " He spoke softer as he grew closer to the end of his story biting his lip lightly. "Two days before i left... Rebbecca ran away from her husband because he was beating her regularly. He came to me demanding i tell him where she went... we fought and in the fight i ... he died. To hid the body i threw it in my forge and burned the building down... Now i am here. "He looked up at her nervous looking into her eyes.

Back
Top Bottom