Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Royal Runaway (Distain and Autumn)

He scooped her up as she began to fall again one arm hocking behind her knee and the other behind her back. He moved quickly lifting her up looking at her with a vibrant smile as he started to carry her the down stairs bedroom. "You are no trouble at all the men who where looking for you came by earlier they are gone now. I found you laying on the ground i assumed you fell. " With great care he laid her on the bed before pulling the covers back on one side picking her up again setting her down on the clean never used sheets.

"You stay right here don't move i have a bandage for your ankle in my room I will be right back. Then we will make you something to eat and tuck you in for the night. Now that your injured i can not in good conscience let you leave. " He smiled and turned scaling the ladder quickly and finding the bandages and some pieces of metal before coming back down quickly.

He was careful with her pride, telling her exactly what she wanted to hear. His story was that he found her on the ground when her headache suggested that he had found her suspended with her white skirt bunched up in the opposite direction from which it should have been hanging. He was a sweet man, scooping her up into his slippery arms and carrying her into another bedroom like this was a recovery wing in a healing keep.

Before he scurried off to fetch her a brace for her swelling ankle, he told her someone had been looking for her. Without letting him leave, she caught his wrist and kept him in place. "I don't know if they told you who I am or why they are looking for me, but please believe I have done nothing wrong, Mister Marks. They do not wish me to return because I am a criminal. You must believe me." She let him go, hoping he found her words sincere.

He refused to let her leave, setting her up in this spare room for the night. She was a stranger in his home, yet he had treated her better than her own family members. She doubted she would stay as long as he expected, though she knew she couldn't leave limping on her ankle. If the injury didn't heal itself, she would be injured further on the road.

He came back down into her room his eyes catching her's giving her a shy smile as he sat on the bed by her foot. "You have to believe me i am not doing this because i enjoy it. If i don't tend your ankle you will be ruined for life. " With that said he slowly removed the stocking from that leg careful to not ever let his hand reach above her knee. Once the stocking was removed he lifted her leg and placed it on his thigh so her foot was hanging over between his legs.

His hands move skillfully as he wrapped her ankle tight with the first bandage clearly he had done this several times. "My sister sprained her ankle 10 times while she was learning to walk in high heels i was always the one who took care of her. " He smiled his hands showing great care not to harm her or cause her any more pain. "They did not tell me who you are or why they were looking for you. I did not care to ask those things are for you and you alone to know. I do not care why they are searching it is not my business to turn you in. "

He took great care position the braces on her ankle holding her ankle straight. He moved his hands quickly but again taking great care not to harm her as he wrapped 2 more bandages around her ankle to make sure it was immobile. "Okay your not allowed to walk with out my help for 2 days understand? " He looked into her eyes before he gave a squeeze to her calf taking a deep breath. "Are you hungry? Do you want something to drink? "

His fingers reached beneath the pile of skirts, settling on the gray stockings. With the touch, she made a motion to jerk her leg away from him, but he was stating he was tending to the care of her swollen ankle. "It's just a sprain. It will heal." He would not relent, however, dragging the wool down until the milky hue of her bare skin was revealed to him. This would be deemed as most inappropriate behavior by her family, but they were not there to witness it.

"Ah, so you do have a sister?" She asked, watching as he wound the cloth tightly around her foot. "Ouch, I won't be able to move at all once you're finished with me!" She laughed, impressed he hadn't turned her in. "I don't know why you're doing this, but thank you." Her voice was as smooth as silk, the sincerity apparent in it. "I won't have any fear about my ankle hurting now! The lack of circulation is going to make it fall off!"

When he had finished, he instructed her she wasn't allowed to walk on her own for two days. Her cheeks blushed to a scarlet, head shaking. "I don't think that's possible. I could never impose on you. I'll be fine sitting on Flame's back. Honestly, you've done so much for me already. I've been far too much trouble. I insist on paying your for your never-ending kindness." Head shook, hands lifting to weave into her hair. "No I'm not hungry or thirsty, thank you."

"As far as i know i still have a sister. Please don't worry about your ankle it is tight but I promise you it wont harm you. " He smiled patting her ankle lightly before covering her up to her waist with the blankets. "When i said you where not allowed walk what i meant was your not allowed to leave this bed until your ankle is FULLY healed. " He smiled looking deep into her eyes before moving to stand next to the bed.

"You cant thank my sister for my insistence on you imposing here she used to hit me if i did not treat a woman with the utmost respect. " He smiled patting her knee threw the covers before he moved to the door and from the room before turning to face her again. "If you need anything at all simply call out and i will come to your aid immediately. " He smiled turning and walking into the kitchen area and began making a stew for the 2 of them.

"Two days? You must be kidding!" She looked at him for any traces of humor, but found none. "Honestly, I can't stay that long. You're not an Inn, Mr. Marks, you're a businessman!" He seemed to not hear any of her pleas, but insisted she call upon him if she needed him. With that, he was simply gone from the room.

Gianna was a defiant young woman. If she had been one to easily abide by the rules, she would be resting comfortably in her own bed of the finest downs and softest blankets. Her servants would be tending to her with wine and cheeses, fussing over her rather minor injuries. It was clear that she was bored of that behavior as she had set out to escape that life. So, in keeping with her character, she threw the covers off of her body.

Stocking-clad foot was planted on the cool floor first, easily shifting all her weight into it. Hands pushed her body upward, finding balance so that her bandaged leg did not have to apply any pressure to her ankle. She hobbled lightly, exiting the chamber and locating him in the domestic area of the home. "Mr. Marks? I feel we should come to some sort of agreement. I simply refuse to stay here for two days without offering you some sort of pay."

Stephen shook his head taking a deep breath trying to figure out what on earth he was going to do. "What don't you understand about do not get out of bed!" He growled walking over slipping his arms under her arm hooking around her lower back leading her into the kitchen before she could protest he lifter her up and sat her on the counter.

"You so much as think about getting down with out my help i swear i will take you into that bedroom and tie you down! " He said giving her a playful smiled and wink as he went back to tending the soup on the stove. " Okay if you insist, When you are healthy and you can clean the linens on the bed you are sleeping in. Also if you absolutely insist on paying me for anything you can share the cost of the food you eat. " He looked up at her walking over with a spoon full of soup blowing on it so it would not burn her mouth. "How does this taste be honest!" He held the spoon up to her lips his hand under it to spare her from the drips.

Gianna was taken slightly aback by the growl, her green eyes growing wide in response. His arm slipped under hers, easily manipulating her movements until he had lifted her up on the table in the kitchen area. "Oh, you think you're so wise because you're stronger than me. I have you know I certainly don't appreciate being carted around like a child, Mister Marks! I'm capable of hobbling on my own without you picking me up and carrying me off like some dashing hero."

She scoffed at him, folding her arms across her chest like a pouting toddler who was angry at being scorned. When he threatened to tie her down, she leaned forward. "You will do no such thing, Sir!" His back turned back toward the pot boiling soup above the fire, her tongue snaked out in a mocking face.

He made a proposition that she would wash her sheets and pay him for the food. It was a fair trade, but he seemed to think she had intended to stay. Sighing, she nodded her head in defeat. "I'll accept your hospitality until the swelling is gone from my foot whether that is in two hours or two days, but only if you accept that I pay for not only my food but you make a little profit from your kindness. I'm costing you business by attending to me. You're a blacksmith, not one who specializes in healing powders. I will pay you for the care of Flame, too. These are my terms."

Mouth opened to cover the tasting spoon. The soup was warm, sliding down her gullet and into her stomach. "It's good." She nodded, lifting her fingers to dab at the corners of her lips.

"I promise you i meant no offense by caring you around i ... I just don't want you injuring your self further. And please i am not a noble call me Stephen as for making a profit i suppose there is no way for me to talk you out of wasting your money." He groaned and went back over to the stove taking off the pot dishing it up into two bowls walking over to her setting them on the table. His hands gripped her sides firmly as he helped her down and into a chair.

"I must say that part of me hopes the swelling takes it's time going away. I don't like the idea of you running around alone not all men are as... caring and compassionate as me some seek only things for themselves. " He looked at her knowing she knew that hoping she would not take that as condescending. "What would you like to drink? I have ale some wine or water? " He said looking at her giving her a soft smiled.

"I'm glad you have agreed to these terms without arguing, Stephen." There was an air of arrogance in her voice that only came natural for those who were true nobles. No, he certainly was a commoner, but in her thinking that was not an insult. He was kind, pure and simple. She was a little more calculated, the result of a lifetime of being played like a puppet by her family and royal calling.

When he had poured the soup into two separate bowls, he insisted on aiding her in walking by pulling her off the surface and into a chair. She scowled, but said nothing. "I'm capable of handling myself around those men. Despite my behavior, I'm not quite as clumsy as I seem." That was a far stretch from the truth as there were no traces of poise or grace in her body. "Any is fine, thank you. I'm afraid, though, you'll have to fetch my bag from your upper chamber. My money pouch is in it, and I'm not sure I'm ready to climb it again."

"You can pay me when you are able to leave until then can we please forget about money. For some reason i do not believe you have ever even been in a real fight. " He looked at her taking a deep breath relaxing hoping that he would never have to be in another. "You know i promised i would explain myself to you a bit. " He went and filled a 2 glasses of water bringing it back placing one before her before moving to set down.

"A year ago... my sister's husband threw her threw the door of his house. She came to me and i helped her run away, where i am from that is a crime and... He came after me threatening to take everything i owned if i did not help him find my sister again. " He slipped a spoon full of soup placing it in his mouth not truly wanting to finish his story but knowing he needed to. "We fought ... and ... it ended badly. I burned down my home and my forge taking nearly nothing and running here only today i had finally settled down again."

He began eating again hoping she would not ask for more details but part of him knew she would. He wanted to tell her but he was not sure she would be comfortable staying with him after she knew what had happened in his old forge. "I am sorry i did not mean to spoil your meal with my story. "

There was too much on her mind for her to have a healthy appetite, but she sipped at the soup with dainty spoonfuls anyway. Her posture was perfectly aligned in the chair, her manner of etiquette exquisitely executed. There was nothing about her that suggested she was a commoner with the exception of her fashion.

With the beginning of his story, she fell silent. Ears perked, listening intently to every word he had to say. The spoon was placed against the edge of the bowl, her hands falling into her lap as he eyes observed his expressions with each lead into his history. Expression remained stoic, showing no signs that what he had said to her frightened her in any way. He'd already been too eager to help her for something like this to cause her to see him in an ill manner.

When he concluded, she resumed eating. "You didn't." Shoulder shrugged, wrist breaking to dip the warm soup into her mouth. "Did you kill him?" She asked very nonchalantly, as if taking another life was a part of every one's daily routine.

"Not intentionally, though i do not regret what happened to him. I wanted to kill him when i found out what i did to my sister... but she ordered me not to hurt him she made me promise to keep her memory no matter what. " He took a deep breath signing looking into her eyes wondering if she was going look down on him for this.

"So your master the one who abused you... Who was he because the men who came looking for you where very well equipped and ... The way your carry yourself it seems a bit different then most of the people i speak to. " He did not think she was a noble but he knew there was something about her she was not telling him he had never seen anyone carry themselves the way she did.

The spoon replaced in the bowl, Gianna's free hand slid across the table to grasp his. Palm rested across the back, fingers coiling to press into the wrinkled lines of his palm. She meant it as a gesture of comfort, though she doubted any measures could be taken to ease him of what he did. "Blood is thick and love is a reckless emotion. You did what you thought you had to do. Who am I to condemn you for that?"

When he mentioned the imaginary master spawned from her lies, a pang of regret gripped her heart. After hearing his sister's story, she felt nothing but remorse for allowing him to believe she had been abused. Perhaps that was strictly why he had gone out of his way to help her now, but she felt like she owed him some part of the truth. Hand recoiled from his, the woman moving in the chair to stand. "I'm sorry. You've been far too hospitable for me to continue to lead you in a misdirection. No master has ever physically placed a hand upon me in a wrongful manner. I'm strictly a servant to the crown. I was afraid earlier so I misled you. I cannot stay here any longer, Mister Marks. Every second spent here puts you in jeopardy. Those men will return, I guarantee it. They are the Royal Guard and they are looking for me."

He stood looking at her his hands resting on her sides to help hold her up his eyes locked on her's. "I have told you 3 times your not leaving this house while your injured. I don't care who you are I will not allow you to leave especially not at night. Besides sending you out into the world would be no different then throwing you into my forge!" He urged her to follow him out into the living area where she could set down comfortably.

Once there he looked at her and then the couch hoping she would set down and stop risking that ankle. "I want to know why. Why you are here, why you left, and what will happen to you if they find you? I have men looking for me and long ago i accepted the fact that i would most likely have my life end at the bottom of a gallows so i do not fear what your king would do to me. Discuss this with me and then we will decide how to handle your care and what will happen to you ... together. "

It was apparent that they were both equally stubborn, though she gathered she had the stronger personality. He insisted she stay in his home while she was eager to flee. Running was much easier than answering questions. Besides, should she get caught, she could charm the guards into letting her go in a similar fashion to how she had coaxed the stable help into buying the horse in complete secrecy.

"You have no right to instruct me to do anything or hold me against my will! If I desire to ride out into the night all alone then who are you to stop me?" She growled at him, slapping at his hands as he helped her hobble into the next room to the plush seating. Body plopped down into the cushions, green eyes shooting daggers at him. "I don't have to tell you anything! The worst you can do is either call the men back for me or send me out on my own."

Cheek was drawn into her teeth, molars chewing steadily on the skin. She exhaled aloud, trying to calm her brooding temper. "I left because I wanted a different life. I'm here because my horse threw his shoe and since meeting you I've come into a series of unfortunate events in which I was hanging upside down on that ladder!" She pointed in the general direction of the stairway. "My life is not yours to discuss or decide my future or care. That is precisely why I fled the confines of my home. If they find me, they'll simply drag me back to the castle where the king will either forgive me of my actions of reprimand me with a punishment. He cares little for his servants."

He took a deep breath nodding he felt terrible about treating her like the king had done. "I am very sorry, I have not heard from my sister since she left i ... I assume she was taken or killed by bandits. I only wished your safety i assure you and was only hoping to keep you here to protect you. " He recoiled from her cruel glade and her comments about he seemed to be a curse for her. He felt his heart beak as he realized all he had done was cause her pain. He moved quickly to the ladder and climbed it finding her bag he came back down quickly handing it to her the pain in his eyes clearly visible.

"If you demand to pay me again i will simply refuse I will hold you here no longer against your will. My home and my forge are yours to use as sanctuary as long as you choose I will do anything you require to aid you either to leave or to stay. Though at the moment i do not feel it is right for me to stand here and face you after how i have treated you. I will be in my room if you need me simply ask. " With the last of his words he turned and made his way up to the ladder and entered his living area he could be heard pacing seemingly berating himself silently.

Gianna certainly wasn't his sister, nor did she feel she needed to be protected. She had caused his life to be in disarray, this selfish and spoiled woman who only wanted to abandon her duties to the life she had been bound. She never meant to cause his world to flip in topsy-turvy or insult him with the cruel flick of her tongue. He had offered her so much assistance and she spat it back in his face by making a mockery of him. Independence be damned, she was beyond that now.

Her money pouch rested in her hand, fingers not bothering to coil around it in a claim. "You have not treated me badly. I apologize. Sincerely, I do." But he was climbing up to his private chamber again, leaving her in the main area of his dwelling. Pulling her feet up onto the couch, she flexed her toes of her injured foot. Slowly, she twisted her ankle around until the pain made her cry out. He was right, she wouldn't go far on foot, but surely sitting upon Flame's back would cause her no further harm. The pouch of coins was dropped on the ground, the girl leaning over to push it under the sofa. He would find it someday, long after she had returned back to the castle.

Her charade was over; she knew it was time to go home. "Mister Marks," she called up to him, trying to grasp his attention. "Please come back down."

He sighed softly having ignored her apology and headed up stares his mind was racing. I can not keep doing things like this because i miss Rebeca. A noble ... and here you thought you where going to convince her to stay and maybe build feelings for her. Of course she looked amazing when she arrived she was wearing silk gowns only a day ago. Her call interrupted the verbal beating he was giving himself forcing him to put on a straight face.

He came down slowly taking a long deep breath as he turned to face her wondering just what she was going to do now. "Yes malady? " He spoke a bit bitterly if she was going to continue to call him mister marks he was going to call her lady. He looked at her the concern he had for her showing as he looked at her tenderly standing on her ankle.

"You're right, I am a Lady." Fingers massaged her tender foot through the bandages, trying to work out the pain. "I'm a Duchess, Mi- er, Stephen." She was trying to address him informally like he had requested, showing that even a woman of nobility could neglect the title if she so desired. "Niece to the king, to be exact, which makes me a princess. My father is titled a Duke but because my mother can no longer have children and has only given birth to two girls, her eldest- me- was dubbed with the title. It is a means of attraction for a suitor. You see, women cannot be heirs, but I'm sure you knew that."

Her voice was soft, putting in a great deal of trust in this man. "How would you have initially reacted to me if you had known I who I was? You would have been more formal, or even insisted I return at once." Fingers reached for his hands, using him to pull herself steadily onto her feet. Weight shifted into the hip of her good side, keeping her injured one at bay. "I've been selfish and rude toward you. I offer only the greatest apologies. I've decided to return and face the consequences of my actions." Her chin dropped, eyes going to the floor. "My father is forcing me into an arranged marriage with a despicable man. It is only a month's time before I become a wife to someone I detest. That's why I really left."

"I would have treated you no differently Gianna. I am not from this land nobility is not something i understand but does not concern me. " He looked at her sighing as she spoke of marrying someone she did not like very similar to how his sister had gone. "I still would have offered you everything i have offered and everything i still offer. I think it would be best if you stayed here till morning and allowed your foot at least a night to heal. "

He walked over towards her taking a deep breath looking into her eyes. "I am sorry to hear of your planned marriage to a man you do not like. I would offer any aid i could though I am not certain exactly what i could do. " He stopped and looked at her and gave her hands a soft squeeze as he helped hold her up. " I do not think you should go back but i can do nothing to keep you here except ask you to stay. " He gave her another smile before chuckling. "I take back nothing would have changed... I would have took your money and charged you more. " He smiled hoping she realized he was joking trying to lighten the mood.

Fresh tears welled in the corners of her lively eyes, threatening to spill over the brims. The muscles in her face had dropped, drooping down into an expression of pure melancholy. Most girls in the station she was pretending to be in would be thrilled at marrying a handsome stranger from across the way. It mattered little if it was a loveless life so long as the woman could produce him an heir. They would appear happy in public, often attending pretentious affairs, but behind closed doors they did not have to hide their miserable lives.

His attempt at lightening the mood was a valiant one, and a brief smile pressed across her sour lips. She nodded once, finding him a decent man. One hand pulled from his, the fingers of her other barely still clinging as she started to move away. "I can't help but wonder what you would be like if you were a nobleman. By blood, I mean. Would you still have this same caring spirit or would the pressure cause you to break?"

Free hand lifted to cup his face, fingertips trailing gently down his jawline. Then, she threw herself at him. Both arms encircled his neck, her chest pressing solidly to hers in a tight embrace. She wept silently, needing someone to hold her just for a moment. "Thank you for being such a good man."

"As long as my sister remained my sister i would be the man who stands before you today. " He was a bit shocked when she threw her arms around him but he would not dream of pushing her away. "Please ... Don't leave If you can hide for only a short while they will think you dead and give up there search. I will gladly hide you I have my secret bed room and there is a room under my forge where i store product during the night. They will never find you as long as you are careful. "

He slipped his arms around her lower back holding her close carefully picking her up off the ground so her foot could dangle and heal. He wished he had been born a noble if only to give this woman a chance at happiness. He wanted so badly to please her to make her have a happy life but he did not know how he could do that.

She had quickly told him the truth, divulged the key information concerning her life to a perfect stranger. Yet, she did not regret the reveal. He made it easy to trust him, and she could see the genuine compassion reflecting in his every move. He was a good man, a protector of sorts. He had gone out of his way to harbor a woman he did not know, to lie to the royal guard in her honor. He was remaining constant, unyielding to the fact that the blood of ancient kings rolled through her veins. He didn't seem dangerous, nor did she feel like he would turn her in for reward money. More of a knight than any she had met, he was rescuing this damsel from a damning life.

Her feet left the ground, his arms easily hoisting her into suspension. Her tight grip never eased, arms holding on to him as if her life depended upon it. "I have said the words countless times, but I fear I'll never be able to show you gratitude for what you have done for me. If I return to them now, you will be handsomely rewarded for my care. If you lied to them, I will fix it. If you told them I left, I will say I came back. Are you sure you do not wish to turn me in and collect your prize? Money like that could help with your business or you could travel. I will not blame you if that is what you decide to do."

"But it would appear that the world has already given me a prize that is if it chooses to stay here in my care. " He smiled looking at her slowly he set her down taking a deep breath looking into her eyes. He was very happy it seemed she was going to allow him to take care of her. "We will though need to find you someone to show you how to be a commoner. " He smiled letting her settle down onto one foot his hand still holding up her injured side.

"Are you certain you despise the man so much that you wish to give up such a simple life? " He looked into her eyes life here was not going to be easy but if he tried hard it would be a bit easier then most. He would do anything he could to help her get used to the life she had chosen.

Back
Top Bottom