Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Royal Runaway (Distain and Autumn)

The high walls of the castle were so stifling one could not easily breathe. Cleverly kept away from the world was a young duchess full of mischief, life, and curiosity. The epitome of propriety, the young woman spoke four different languages, had perfect posture, and knew well her place in society was a silent one. She had a duty to the king, but every day she yearned to break free from the restraints of her given life.

Most of the servants were content with their humbled lives and stations. The royal family was a kind one to their staff, knowing that happy servants were less likely to rebel. It was the type of thinking that had been implanted in Gianna's brain since she was a child; it was this exact legacy that would earn her freedom. For months, the young woman had been planning her escape. She had paid her closest chambermaid a wealthy sum for the woman to give the duchess plain clothing. In addition to requiring clothing, she would also need a horse. A stable boy, whose fondness of Gianna was ever-growing, had been easily convinced to purchase her a fine horse and keep it hidden until her moment came.

It was no strenuous task of exchanging her elaborate gown for a simple white dress with a green overlay. A crisp, white apron had been lain across it, the entirety of the outfit much cleaner than those belonging to a real servant. Still, she knew no one would glance at her long enough to question her attire. Strands of black silk were piled into a bun at the base of her neck. Dressed as a member of the staff, she crept in the shadows until she reached the barn. She bid the stable boy adieu with a kiss blown from her hand. Her small pack of money and basic supplies was tied to the saddle of the beautiful red horse. Grabbing the reins, she gave him a gentle nudge with her foot and the two shot out into the night.

The dawn had finally broken across the velvet sky. By now, someone probably would have discovered her missing, but she was too far ahead of them for the the guard to catch her now. On the outskirts of some town, she and her stallion were galloping through a more rocky terrain. Unsure of whether he stumbled over a rock or exactly what had caused it, Gianna was being thrown onto the hard ground beneath her. Dirt caked her clean garments, giving her the true appearance of a servant. Pulling herself to her feet, she reached her hand up to rub the mane of her shaken animal. "It's alright, lets keep going." But on the ground she caught the glimmer of the shoe laying beneath his strong feet. Glancing around her, she spotted an open shop high above the valley of the ground on a hill. Retrieving the horse's shoe, she began to lead him up to it, hoping the owner was either a blacksmith or could direct her to one.

It had been nearly a year since Stephen had left his home and came to this small town not far from the castle and and the capital city that it over looked. It took him 5 months to get here from his home town and he was glad to finally have a home to call his own and a bed to sleep in. That is if he ever decided he had the time to sleep. It had been 6 months since he had his last decent nights sleep. He woke every day and walked from the small town up the hill to where he wanted to live. For 6 months he worked building his house and forge by hand. His house sat on the far side of the hill from the town and forge on the near.

His forge was not overly complicated 12 large pillars held up the roof, there where no walls to speak of the ones that where there only reached his waist. He enjoyed being able to look around at the view while he worked. He had a small stable to store the horses that needed to have shoes put on, and a large work bench and massive forge in the middle. Today was the first day his forge would be open and he hoped to have any business at all though he did not expect it. He had enough Iron stored up to shoe 50 horses and build 5 homes.

He woke long before dawn and began preparing himself for the day. He drew water and took a good long bath cutting his hair so it hung only to his lower jaw and shaving the beard that had grown out of neglect. He wore only a light white shirt whose sleeves he removed so he could work with out risk of burning the sleeves in the forge. He wore simple brown pants and a heavy leather aprin to keep the sparks from spraying the soft linen clothing that he wore.

The sun had just came up when he finally got the fire hot enough to start heating the metal. He had only enough 4 horse shoes made and he knew he needed to make more so he would not have to forge them while customers waited. He slipped the hunk of iron into the forge and began stoking it to heat it he smiled happily looking around enjoying the view. It would take several minuets for the wood fired forge to heat the iron to a work able level. He enjoyed these moments they allowed him to think and relax It was nice to be back in a forge again he finally had everything he wanted. That is if he could make this forge profitable enough to earn his living.

The morning dew stuck to the strands of grass, making them slippery. The heels of her shoes dug into the sides of the heel, trying to find a common grip so she and her massive horse could get to the top. About halfway up, the stubborn animal stalled, refusing to go any farther. "Come on, please." She begged him, her voice gentle. "I promise I'll get you some carrots or something if you just help me get up to that shop." Tugging on the bridle, she urged the stallion to continue onward, though she liked to think he was just anxious for a few extra treats.

Finally, they had ascended the hill. Sweat drenched the young woman's attire while mud trimmed the hem of the dress. Strands of black escaped the bun, clinging to the dampness of her cheeks. To anyone who saw her, this was not the appearance of a duchess. Though Gianna had thought her exchange of intricately woven gowns for a plain dress to be a clever disguise, it was the labor she had put into leading the animal up the steep climb that had truly marked her identity as hidden. Chest huffed out ragged breaths, tired legs barely trudging over to the structure.

The reins attached to the animal were carefully wrapped around a pillar, locking him in place. The iron shoe was looped around her wrist like a bracelet, showing no signs of falling off the slender bone. Hands smoothed down the front of her apron, trying to tidy her unruly appearance. Spotting a man bent over his work, Gianna quietly strolled toward his vicinity. "Hello?" She called out softly, keeping somewhat of a difference between the two of them. "Excuse me, sir? Can you help me, please?"

Soon the iron ingot began to glow deep red showing it was ready for Stephens loving care. He smiled grabbing the claw and reaching into the forge grabbing the ingot and carrying it over to the anvil. With in moments the hill filled with the soft twang of his hammer smashing the hot iron into the steel anvil. The rhythm of his hammer filled the in an almost musical way seeming to mix his blows between hard flattening shots and soft shaping taps.

To Stephen the sounds of the hammer hitting the iron was music more so then some of the acts at the inn in the town below. He had the first shoe roughed out when he added it and another ingot to the forge. He moved quickly to the back of the shop tossing several more pieces of wood into pit at the rear of the forge before going about the business of putting the more precise wholes and bends into the shoe.

A hammer strike over wrote the sounds of her first soft greeting and her second was nearly drowned out by the hiss of the iron as he tossed it into a bucket. He turned though hearing the request for aid a bright smile gracing his face. I have been out here less than an hour and my first customer! I think this show will be much better than i expected. "Yes ma'am! " The excitement filling his voice as he walked towards her his hand slowly reaching out to take the shoe from her wrist. "I am guessing that you horse threw a shoe? " He smiled his eyes catching hers for a moment she would be quite attractive if she did not look liked she just rolled down the hill.

Neck bent forward, eyes roaming the various supplies hanging about the shop. The traces of iron and the heat of flames told her that she was, in fact, in luck. A blacksmith shop! "Oh, thank goodness!" Gianna staggered back, her free hand landing on her chest above her heart. "How fortunate am I to have found you!" She cried out, the iron-clad hand reaching up to brush away errant strands of black from her green eyes.

He reached for the shoe, plucking it from her raised arm before affirming he could help her. She laughed with relief, nodding to him. "My horse must have stumbled out on the rocks down there." She pointed to the base of the hill where the path was flat but loaded with rocks. "Forgive me for being a mess, but he threw me. I didn't think I was ever going to get him up this hill." Glancing down her skirt caked with dark stains, she suddenly felt self-conscious. Yes, she had wanted to appear at a much lower station, but even servants kept themselves clean.

"I had him shod with the very best, but that seems to matter little." She muttered, not realizing the content of her words. Hoping he didn't catch it, she continued. "I'd be grateful if you could replace it or mold a new set for him. I'm prepared to accept any price. . . ", she paused, realizing that her attitude was nothing like that of a humbled servants, "I mean within reason." Cheeks flushed, face turning away from his to nod toward the red beast. "He's a gentle giant. I'm certain he didn't intend to throw me off his back. We're traveling through the countryside. By the way, do you happen to know where I can purchase some oats for him? I'm not familiar with this area."

He remained calm examining the shoe while she spoke she was not lying it was finely crafted but he bet the nails where put in wrong. He remained silent glancing from her to the horse not catching her brief bit of proper speech he was more focused on the task to come. Once she had finished speaking and asked about the oats he smiled he head giving a faint nod into town. "There is a rather nice stable in town I am sure they will take good care of him if you are looking for a place to rest your head. "

He moved slowly giving a few soft clicks urging the horse to show him its shoeless foot. He inspected the hoof deciding if he would be able to reattach it. "You might want to be careful though when you go down there. You walk around throwing around options on what work needs done and offering to pay what ever it costs. I guarantee they will try to pry as much coin from your purse as possible. "

He smiled looking at the horse and moving over to the bench grabbing the tools he would need to make put the shoe back on. Setting it in the forge to heat up slowly he turned to face her with the same bright smile on his face that was there when she arrived. "I honestly don't mind much you looking a mess there miss. Come back here just before dark and i will promise i will make the thrown from a horse look, look quite lovely. There is a pump over to the other side of the forge if you want to wash up while i do this. It wont be long i promise. "

He warned her about carelessly tossing her money around. Of course, how naive could a person be? The duchess had never worried about money; she had never wanted for anything. A true servant, however, had little. She doubted any of them would ever be so bold as to offer to pay any price for a service. In fact, most of them traded goods and talents. A bartering system worked best, but she had nothing to trade.

"No, I don't wish to rest. We're merely passing through, but in my hastiness I didn't gather much supplies for him- for Flame." She dubbed the animal, finding she would be less suspicious if she treated him as though the two had been together for ages instead of the horse being a recent addition to her possessions. "Thank you for your kindness. I believe I'll wait here instead of venturing into town. If you don't mind, though, might you tell me if there is a stream so I can lead him to drink?"

Gianna welcomed the thought of washing away some of the stains from her garments, though she had never had to use tepid water. She had enjoyed warm baths nightly, loving the way her body turned into a prune once it had soaked up too much moisture. "Thank you, I will." Moving toward the pump, she took off her apron. Forcing some of the water onto the cloth, she moved it across her face and bare arms to wash away any traces of dirt that may have splashed across her skin. Next, she rubbed away the grime on the hem of her dress, making it look somewhat clean again. Pins were pulled from her hair, letting the raven-colored locks cascade down her lower back in a solid sheet of satin. Fingertips combed through the tresses, smoothing them. When she felt presentable again, she emerged from behind the forge. The wet apron was laid on the grass in the sunlight so that it could be dried.

He watched her over his shoulder as he scraped away the scar from his the old shoe. "Quite the strange master you have there Flame. " He spoke softly so only he and the horse could hear him as he walked over to the forge taking out the shoe before it got to hot. He moved over to the horses side and very carefully readied himself to put the shoe on. "If you have a weak stomach ma'am I would recommend that you stand outside to the north these hooves do not smell so good when you shoe the horse. "

He gave her time to move to get up wind before pressing the shoe onto the hoof it hissed and sent a foul smelling smoke into the air. He moved quickly from that point on driving the nails into the shoe and setting it down moving to where she had tied him off. "Okay boy lets get you in a stall why you get used to that shoe. " He smiled leading the horse over to one of the vacant stalls shutting the door. It would not hold the horse if he truly wanted to leave but it would give him time to run over and stop him from getting away.

"Where are you heading miss? " He smiled walking over to her tossing his tools onto his work table giving her a soft smile staying down wind from her so she would not have to smell the burnt hoof on him. It always seemed to hang on him for several minuets after he shoeed a horse. "What had made you set off so unprepared? " He did not mean to seem rude he was just trying to make small talk and she had mentioned leaving in a bit of a hurry.

She was not accustomed to answering questions, especially not to a complete stranger. "Oh, I'm heading up to. . ." She paused, trying to recall exactly where she was and the neighboring towns outside of the King's jurisdiction. "To. . . Langley." She forced out the word, remembering it was a sleepy town that bordered the kingdom. She'd heard her father speak of it many times simply because he thought the land was useless.

She noticed how he kept his distance, saying that it was because of the smell from shoeing the horse. The melody of laughter rang forth from her lips, filling the air around them. "I've witnessed shoeing before. The stench does not bother me. I've been exposed to much worse, I assure you." The only part of her series of statements that were true was the claim to not mind the smell. In fact, she had been blessed with a strong stomach.

At his question of her hastiness, her mouth fell slightly ajar. He was an inquisitive one who asked far too many questions. "News of my family. My father has taken on ill and my mother has asked me to come to his side." The words were rushed, hating the necessary lie she fed him. If the guards came this way, she didn't need him to tell them the truth. Langley was the opposite direction in which she was headed, far enough on the outskirts to lead them far from her trail. Her face twisted in sadness, hoping her bright eyes did not give away the truth. "I thank you for the work you've done, Sir. How much do I owe you so Flame and I can be on our way?"

"Langley?! Who goes to Langley. " He had been there once before when he was younger and found it to be quite a boring waste of a town. Though once she gave her reason he winced in pain feeling very much like an fool for speaking so hastily. Then his mind thought back she had came from the other side of the hill to Langley going in the wrong direction. A black smith gets used to helping people who are running from someone it was their chief customers.

"Your horse need about a half hour before his shoe will harden and be ready to ride again." He smiled walking over to the area where the horses where feeding him some oats he had saved up. "One silver will cover both the shoe and the food. " It was less then he would normally charge but it was not hard work shoeing one hoof and the food the horse would eat was not much at all.

"So who exactly am i lying to? It would be nice to know who is looking for you so i know how much trouble i will get if they think i am lying. " He chuckled pulling an ingot from the forge starting crafting it into another horse shoe. "Langley is the other way, and you clearly have rode off in the middle of the night. I don't need to or care to know why i just want to know who is looking for you." He said softly looking up at her if she chose not to answer he would understand but he wanted her to know she was very obviously lying.

She started to tell him that she, in fact, was going to Langley. However, the look on his face told her that he had figured out her lie. Panic was racing through her veins, the blood boiling inside them. For a moment, she thought about running to Flame, tossing a coin at the man, and riding off before he could figure out her true identity. That would do her no good, however, if Flame threw another shoe. Fingers wove into her hair, a tell-tale sign that what she had spoken had been false.

"Thank you for feeding my horse." She entered the stall with her four-legged companion, rubbing her cheek against the side of his head. "You're a wonderful, gentle creature and I would not trade you for any other." She cooed at the animal before reaching back for her small pack on his back. Opening it, she retrieved an even smaller pouch, pulling out two silver coins.

When she emerged, he was throwing yet another question at her. This time, she froze in her stance. Gianna looked back in the direction from which she had come, obviously not knowing her geography. "You won't be lying to anyone." She pulled up the sleeve of her dress, revealing a bruise she had received from playing a bit of sport with her cousins. It was wide and expansive, taking up most of the space on her upper arm. The yellow and deep purple hues were angry, and it certainly had hurt when it happened. "Do you think it's right to abuse a servant?" She asked him, misleading him again. She was so crafty, intentionally vague. She wasn't directly lying this time, but letting him come to his own conclusions by seeing the bruise plastered on her milky skin.

When she was certain his eyes had seen enough, she pulled the sleeve back down over her arm. "Tell anyone looking for me that you've seen me if you wish. I just hope you can live with condemning an innocent woman to a life not meant for her." Her voice was bitter, playing the sympathy vote. Her hand reached for his, placing the two coins into his palm. "A silver for your work and another for your trouble." She coiled his fingers around it before she stepped back from him.

He took the cooling metal and placed it back in the forge as she showed him the reason she left her home. " I see... I have seen some things in my day's that where not acceptable. Servant or not that should not happen to any woman. "He put the coin back in her hands closing her fingers around it. " Keep your coin the nails i used where not worth much and the food would have most likely went south before i used it. "

He gave her another of his bright smiles looking into her eyes. "Look if you snuck off during the night and they are looking for you they will ride you down in no time. On the other side of the hill is my home there is a bedroom on the second floor. Go sleep i insist if someone comes looking for you i will send them away looking for you. Its better to get them looking one way before going the other then just trying to out run them. " His compassion and sincerity showing in his face as he gave her hand a light squeeze. "I'll walk you there and show you how to hide the ladder so you wont be found i promise not to turn you in. "

No sooner had the lie escaped her lips did she regret it. She should never have used sympathy against him, but she certainly hadn't expected him to offer up his home to her. He didn't know how dangerous of a risk he had just taken by doing that. She knew well that if she had been found, his neck would repay the price. Guards didn't care that she hadn't told him her identity, they would only care that a duchess was residing in the bed chamber of a commoner. It would be selfish for her to accept his help, especially when he had given the coin back to her.

She wanted to tell him, to put her trust into him. Yet, she couldn't. On the other hand, if the guards came looking for Duchess Gianna and offered him enough sum, he would betray her. Anyone would, she knew that. She walked around the shop, maneuvering behind him. Fingers quietly deposited the coin on a ledge out of his sight so that he could not refuse it again. "Running away is a crime. If I'm found, you'll lose far more than your shop and home. Why would you do that for a strange who has already lied to you once?"

Gianna strolled back to face him. She leaned over, letting her eyes capture his. "What if I've lied again? What if I'm really a member of loyalty and running away from my home? What if I'm a Duchess? A princess, really? Harboring me would cost you your neck." Her fingers slid across her neck, indicating a person who was to be decapitated. "You say you won't turn me in, but if guards offer you enough money you will. Don't deny it."

Lips pursed, anticipating his reply. Then, she laughed uncontrollably to play up her scene. "Imagine! Me a Duchess! The absurdity! Very well, then, knowing all that you risk if you still insist I stay then I will."

When she finally finished speaking he walked over and looked up at the rafter above his work bench. Burned into the massive beam that crossed the area around his forge he was a phrase his father taught him long ago. A man is not a man, if he does not strive to make the world better. He looked into her eyes as he walked back over to her reaching out patting her arm lightly giving her a proud smile. "Ask me tonight why i wish to protect you i will show you then. "

He spoke softly turning taking her hand lightly leading her from the forge and up over the hill. He moved slowly knowing her heals would struggle in the soft dirt. "As for risking my life to protect you I do not care if your the queen no one should be forced into a life they do not want with no escape. No matter what happens if the they come looking for you stay on the bed and do not make a sound. " He spoke softly as they crested the hill and made there way towards the small one story home on the other side of the hill. It could not have had more then 5 rooms in it just looking at the outside. In reality it only had 4, a living room, kitchen, dinning room, and a small bedroom. Though in the area above the rafters he had added a much larger bedroom with a hide able drop down ladder.

Gianna didn't know the significance in his words, nor did she know what kind of history he may have had. For all she knew, he could have been a fugitive himself or a man that readily accepted rogues into his home. Maybe he was skilled at hiding runaway women, keeping them cleverly aloft in his chambers. She didn't know, but the yawn of her mouth suggested that her body was too tired to care.

His hand clasped to hers, leading her up the steepness of the hill toward a structure that was likely to be his dwelling. "Do you really think the Queen would come out here on a horse and let him tumble her to the ground? Honestly, as if she would ever put on the clothes of a peasant!" Gianna's shoes dug into the earth again, yielding to the grassy mounds. It was hard for her to climb, but the assistance of his hand was most helpful. "What's your name?" She asked him, at least showing him the courtesy of learning something about him. "Your wife and children will not protest to you bringing in a strange woman into your home? Really, though, I'll be happy to pay you."

He smiled as he opened the door giving her a soft smile the ladder for his bedroom hanging down off to the side of the living room. The accommodations where simple nothing that would even resemble special except the metal work. Ever curve every line was perfect clearly he had taken great care to form the metal in his home. He smiled looking at her as he held the door and allowed her to enter before stepping inside.

"I have only ever shared my home with 2 women the one died long ago. The other... I have not seen in just over a year. " He smiled being purposely vague he meant his mother and sister but she did not need know that. He lead her over to the angled ladder that resembled a stairs as more then a ladder. "Do you wish me to go up first and help you from there or will you be able to ascend on your own? " He spoke knowing that some people would not like climbing eight feet into the air supported by a 2 hinges and some rope.

Though he did not think his abode anything special, Gianna marveled at the simplicity of it. No doubt that he had finely crafted each rafter and structural frame himself. Emerald-like orbs drifted about the room once she entered inside, mouth falling slightly agape. It was nothing like the castle with its stained glass windows and arched ceilings, but that's why she liked it. It was small, yet it was not stifling like the open walls of the enormous fortress from which she came.

He spoke of two women, which could have been anyone. Maybe he had meant his mother and wife or sibling and niece. He could have been married, but at any rate, she was sorry he had lost someone he had cared about. She would not pry any further, respecting his decision to withhold any information from her. She was, after all, just a stranger. She could have been a beautiful thief, set out to rob him blind. She wasn't, of course, but he had no way of knowing that.

He presented her with the ladder that led to the chamber in the upper story. She did not trust the rickety rope, but she would not insult him by saying so. He had insulted her by not giving a name when she requested it, but she was more noble than to return the action. After all, being a member of royalty, she could demand it if she wanted to. She didn't. "I'll go first, but you might want to move out of the way. If I fall, I don't want you to be squashed in the process." She laughed uneasily, grabbing hold of the first rung and pulling herself up. Steadily, she climbed, swaying uneasily on the device. Finally, she reached the top.

He chuckled looking up into her eyes as she commented on falling, her reaction to his home was a bit strange but he was not going to be so rude as to mention it. "Do not worry Madam if you fall i will catch you and carry you up the ladder myself. " He smiled once she was up stairs he followed her quickly able to climb up much more confidently.

The up stairs bedroom was large a very large closet on the far side held all his cloths except those in the large oak dressers. The things in this room far nicer then the area below clearly this was where he kept the things he held dear. The large bed had obviously been slept in the night before and was not made properly. "When you come up the ladder pull this rope until you hear that latch close. " He pointed to a latch pulling the rope up with one hand as it pulled smoothly up and formed a small box on the floor were the hole had once been. "When you want to get down just push here. " He pushed the latch wit his palm and the ladder fell open quietly but quickly. "I don't have anything worth stealing... well not while i still have your horse anyways. If you need anything you know where i will be i have some spare shoes in the closet if you would rather not wear your heels. "

Once up top, her eyes scanned the vicinity. This was obviously his own bedroom that he offered to her, the unmade bed being a sure sign. As he demonstrated how to open and close the hatch, she intently watched. "Thank you for your kindness again . . . " She paused, waiting for him to insert his name in the blanks. If he denied her again, she'd simply call him whatever she wanted to.

Though he had shown her hospitality, he did not fail to warn her of stealing. "If I had intended to steal from you why would I have paid you already? I could have jumped on Flame's back and rode away, but I didn't. I assure you that I have no intentions of plundering any of your belongings, Sir." The title was emphasized, the woman obviously insulted by his manner of speaking. "Perhaps it's wrong for me to stay here. After all, I could be a hardened criminal ready to rob you blind."

"I am deeply sorry for being rude to you malady. " He bowed deeply looking up at her hoping she would not take to grievous an offense to his words. " Here you are alone and on the run and i treat you like a criminal and have still yet to get your name. My name is Stephen Marks, and it is a pleasure to meet you malady. I will be leaving you to your own devices just please make sure to close this latch behind me in case someone comes searching for you while you sleep. "

With that he made his way from the room he felt bad for the way he treated her if his sister had heard that she would have thrown him down the whole. He turned and left the house and quickly jogged over the hill to the forge hoping no one had came to rob him blind while he was at the house. Once there he set right back to work forging more horse shoes his mind regularly wondering back to the lovely woman currently residing in his bed.

He worked hard he wanted to make sure he had enough things to cover demand. He was wanted to make 20 horse shoes and a hand full of random yard tools. It was going to be a busy day though he did not seem to mind much he rather liked spending his days working it was what he loved.

She hated that he bowed to her, mimicking the countless others that were forced to double over in her presence just because of her social upstanding. It was the woe of the royal, though she doubted anyone else in her family was displeased with their stations. Being of royal blood was a privilege to everyone except her, the free-spirited youth who longed to be free. She would trade it all to truly fit in the clothes adorning her body, to be married to a peasant and raise a flock of children.

"You don't have to call me that, please." He couldn't have known who she was; he was just being polite in her presence. He finally introduced himself and waited expectantly for her to return the gesture. Gianna was torn between feeding him more lies or rewarding his kindness with the truth. "I'm Gianna." She whispered, unsure of how he would react when the guards came calling for a woman fitting her description and with that name.

When she was left alone, Gianna strolled around the room. She came to the bed, sitting on the opposite side of where he had slept. Shoes were kicked off, leaving her in stocking feet. She then untied the laces that kept the green overlay of fabric on her body, pulling it off and laying it carefully on his side of the bed. Left in her white dress, she reclined against the mattress. Eyes were heavy, but her mind raced too much to fall easily into sleep. Finally accepting that fate would work in whatever fashion it wanted, she closed her eyes to slumber.

Stephen worked hard until lunch time when he stopped for a break setting on the rail sharing a salad with her horse. As he sat there eating several of the castle guard came up to the forge causing him to stand. He hoped they where here to buy something. But he had a strange feeling they where here about the lovely woman hiding in his room.

Once the arrived they asked him how he acquired his horse. "I found it limping around up here when opened the forge this morning. Poor thing threw a shoe and his owner abandoned him here. Why do you ask? " When he told him they where looking for a woman matching her description and if he had seen her he shook his head. "No but if you find her they took my horse she can either keep my mare or have her horse back its her call. " The men nodded looked him over thoroughly before spotting the fresh cut hoof still laying on the ground. The decided that he was telling the truth and rode away to continue there search.

Stephen paid them no mind as he went back to work he wanted to go tell her she was safe for now but if he did it would look suspicious. He had become a great liar over the years especially after his start as a smith and helping many criminals on there way out of town.

The sound of horses neighing woke her from her steadfast sleep. It was not the whinny of Flame, that she had already learned well while he rolled over the rock on the ground. It sounded like a collective sound, like more than one of the animals was standing outside. It could have been customers seeking out his services, or it could be the Royal Guard looking for her. None of them would know that Flame belonged to her unless the stable boy betrayed her. With the right amount of threats or money, she was certain he would have.

Stephen had told her to remain quiet and still should she be alerted. He was requiring her trust, but she couldn't give it as freely has he liked. Quickly, her feet shoved back into her worn shoes. They were her own possession, slightly more fancy than the rest of her attire, but they were broken in. The green outer fabric was thrown over her head, fingers swiftly tying the laces that fitted it to her form. Her black hair was a mess, fanning out in violent tangles from her tossing and turning, but she didn't care.

When she meandered over to the ladder, she was surprised to see it open. Hadn't he told her to close it and yet in her hastiness she had not. She was a silly, foolish woman. This, she was coming to terms with. Upon descending it, her ankle twisted on the unsteady rung. The young woman fell forth, her foot sliding and getting trapped between the two separate steps. Her toes were flexed back, keeping her attached to the ladder as she dangled upside down on it. Her petticoat gathered around her knees, threatening to spill over her head but her hands grasped it and held it down. The blood was draining from her face, but she was too afraid to cry out for help. All she had to do was wrench her foot free and fall, but she didn't want to do that either.

It was nearly time for dinner when Stephen finally closed up shop. He was completely unaware that the woman he had tucked away was now hanging unconscious in his living room. He tied her horse to the stable to make sure he did not run away and then made his way back over the hill to his home.

Moments after opening the door he saw her her skirt hanging down covering her face. "My god how did you get stuck like that!" He ran over scooping her up in his strong but sweaty arms the door slowly closed behind him as he laid her down on the couch running his hand over her head. " That ankle is going to hurt like crazy. " He mumbled to himself as he went into the kitchen and ran some water onto a cloth.

He moved quickly back to her side and began dabbing her forehead and neck hoping to wake her slowly. Her skirt still pushed up above her chest as he made no attempt to put it down before laying her down. He was much more concerned with her health then her dignity.

Gianna dangled helplessly for a few more minutes, switching emotions from laughter to tears as she struggled to sit up and regain her balance. All of it was to no avail, and colorful spots began to cloud her vision like a kaleidoscope. Her hair was swinging against the floor now, her arms growing tired from holding down her dress. She blinked furiously, concentrating on breathing. Her vision was far too hazy, giving over to darkness as she fell unconscious.

The coolness of the water pressing to her clammy skin stirred her. Thick lashes batted several times, fluttering open to reveal dazed green eyes. His face looming over her was not one she expected, but at least she was not hanging upside down anymore. Upon waking, there were three things she noted: one, her ankle was blazing like a hot dagger was jabbing into it. Two, her head pounded between her eyes with a searing pain that outweighed her ankle. Three, for whatever reason, her skirt was bunched up around her chest.

Eyes grew wide, pegging him as the culprit for her dress when she remembered she had been dangling with her feet in the air. Either she had fallen or he had graciously brought her over to the plush sofa. Sitting upright, she grabbed the white dress and tugged it down over her gray stockings. She was humiliated her undergarments were presented to him, but she didn't fear he had tried to take advantage of her in her vulnerable disposition.

"Ow!" She cried out, wiggling her ankle. Her hands went to her head, cradling it. "Oh, please tell me you found me slumbering on the ground. Please do not say I was hanging on that contraption with my petticoat raised over my head like a chicken dangling for a slaughtering!" She begged, not wanting to hear the truth of the matter. Her lips wanted to coil into a grin, but she was far too mortified. She spotted the cloth in his hand, a sheer indication that he had been patting her with it. "I'm too much trouble. You'll rue the day you met me!" She threw her legs down off the couch, firmly planting her feet to stand. "Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Marks. I cannot thank you enough for putting up with me."

Applying weight to her ankle proved to be too much, the young woman toppling backward onto him with a thud. She cried out for her swollen foot, though she hoped her weight didn't harm him either.

Back
Top Bottom