Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mystic Melody (me and butterfly0408)

desertpaladin

Supernova
It was a bit past noon and the market was full of people, moving this way and that, from shop to shop as everything seemed to continue like it always did. Daily routines were carried out like they always were, going to every shop that needed to be gotten to but there were people who were being torn from the noise of the citylife and toward one small allyway.

For there, sitting against the wall of what was an Inn was a simple man wearing modest clothing and just plucking at the strings of a mandolin. He was new to the town since no one could remember seeing such a strangely dressed man. he wore traveling clothes. Some leather boots, leather gloves, some worn pants, a belt, a shirt and a vest as well as a cloak over it. however his most prominant feature was a muskateer style hat on his head with one side of it flipped up. His fingers strummed the simple strings on the wooden mandolin as he just sat there. He was not searching for money it seemed since his hat nor any collection vessel was on the ground nearby. he just was playing... and such beautiful songs... none that people knew but they were amazing... The man also kept his head down, all people could see was his long hair tied into a ponytail in the back and it went down to mid-shoulder blade and his chin which was cleanly shaven. No one could see his eyes, not even little kids who stopped running to sit and listen to the beautiful music.

Like everyone else passing by, she was drawn towards his tunes as well. His melodies seemed to be magnetic. Almost like there was a magic about them. A small smile crept across her face at that thought. She certainly knew a thing or two about magic. Knew more then everyone in this kingdom probably combined.

To look at her in her common clothing as she took a spot sitting amongst the children and the others... one would never know it, but they were looking upon their the high sorceress of the kingdom, their princess, Alana. That may have been who she was born as, but she never felt comfortable in that role. It was this common appearance she had taken up where she felt more like herself. Alana had given herself the name 'Christine' when she wandered the town freely like today. She never feared being recognized, for no one had ever seen Alana's face. Whenever she appeared to wave from a carriage or make a decree from the high castle wall, she wore a veil over her face. It was only a small piece of fabric, but it was enough to give her somewhat of a normal life. The magic she used to sneak from the castle helped a bit as well.

She had never seen this minstrel before in any of her journeys through the market. He was one she would not forget. He must be a traveler. A small sigh escaped her. She had to admit... she would miss his music when he departed for a new kingdom. Hopefully he stayed awhile. The tone of the market was so much more pleasant when there was his sweet music to listen too.

Slowly his melody stopped and he looked up seeming a bit suprised to see a crowd of people surrounding him but he gently took his hat off tipping it as people began to applaud. His eyes finally showing themselves to his audience. They were a brilliant hazel, having both the shades of the earth and of the forrest inside of them. He placed his hat back on his head and set the mandolin down, much to everyones dismay but they then began to go off and do what they normally did. Leaving the traveler there alone in his alleyway as he just sat there... Seeming to be trying to get a bit of rest... Though he gave a soft smile "I still seem to have someone here with me" he said softly without turning his head "Why are you still here when everyone left?" he asked his head turning to face the fan that didn't leave.

Christine was still sitting there, having remained after everyone departed. She didn't quite know why, she just.... felt like she wanted to. So she did. She sat there just staring in his direction with her sky blue eyes, a small smile still on her face. "I will leave if you like. I wanted to tell you personally... yours was the most beautiful music I have ever heard in my life." Standing, that was all she really wanted to say. Brushing out her skirts, "I do hope you hear your tunes once again."

He smiled over to her and he said to her "What is your name?" he looked at her "Because you are an odd one... i can tell you that" he said with a smile "Everyone leaves once the music is over yet you wish to stay... here" he said as he stood and he smiled "Do you have gold on you? I would be happy to spend some more time with you so how about an tavern and we both just be marry?" he said with a smile. It sounded he might have been hinting at sex, but the way he stood there looking at her, into just her eyes it was clear he was just wanting to spend some time with her.

She paused and glanced back his way, having already been on her way. At first she was ready to just give him the gold to get him off her back. What a rude person to solicit someone for paying them a compliment. But when she say the look in his eyes and expression on his face, she understood. She knew the look well for she saw it on her own face sometimes when she glances at a mirror. Loneliness.

"I would be happy to share a few drinks and a few stories with you sir. You must have seen so many things. You are a traveler are you not?" she started to lead him in the direction of the nearest tavern. Not one she would usually drink in, but it was close.

In truth he was lonely, he had been lonely since the Great War, but that was just history now and he never liked history. He smiled seeing her taking up his offer he nodded and he began to walk along with her, strapping the mandolin to a leather band that he had around his body to keep it attached to him so he would not have to carry it. he looked over at her as they entered the tavern and the two found a table.

"You certainly are a quiet one," she commented as she took a seat. He seemed like he was off in his own little world. Even ignored the question she had asked him. Raising her hand to signal the waitress who quickly came to the table, "An ale for myself, and for my friend here..." she trailed off, waiting for him to order for himself.

"The same" he said and he looked to her "And I was waiting to talk once we are here... This is a nice little tavern... definately one of the best I have ever been in" he said with a smile as he looked to her after his eyes had looked around the room. "So tell me" he said looking at her 'What made you stay, really... I mean everyone else left once the music stopped."

She shrugged a little, "To tell the truth, I do not know myself." Smiling, she glanced down at her drink as she continued on, "Sometimes I just have these urges to do things and I just... well... do them. Like then, something inside of me just whispered to stay. And an instinct perhaps. I don't know." That was the truth to an extend. It was a part of her magic she supposed. Something told her that staying and speaking with this man was important. She didn't know why quite yet, but one day she would come to know the reason. "I have always relied on such instincts in my past, and they have always served me well."

He nodded "Though I have done the same believe it or not" he smiled to her "Though it was many years ago... I always thought that these things i did were right..." he looked to her "Don't rely fully on instincts... that is all I will say... They can cause a lot of trouble" jsut as he said that actually two well dressed knights came in. They were clearly a part of the royal guard. He looked over at the guards with a raised eyebrow... and then to her "any idea why two well armed members of the royal guard just walked in?" he muttered so that only the two of them could hear.

Her head turned to see what he spoke of. Damn it! Clearly her escape had been discovered. It was not an uncommon thing. People within her palace knew she did this often. It was not like they could stop her from doing it. They usually let her go until they needed her for one silly reason or another and came looking for her. She sighed a little and reached into her pocket, pulling out enough coin for the drinks as well as a little extra for him, "I am afraid I must be going." She smiled at him warmly. "Keep playing your music good sir."

As she stood, the guards noticed her. They were two she had had little run ins like this with before. They respected her wishes never to make a scene and quietly followed after her out of the tavern to the streets.

He saw this little scene where she left with the guards and he smiled to himself as he took another sip of his drink "Boy it is always the interesting ones that find me" he shook his head and he paid the tab, since she had left before she could and he stood leaving the Pub before he walked around the town a bit. It was nice, smaller than his hometown... Yes he was from another kingdom... it was long ago though that he had left it... In fact he had plunty of secrets... and he planned to keep them that way.

Back
Top Bottom