Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Universe Apart: Vita, Gyro, and Helix. ((Private))

Re: A Universe Apart: Vita, Gryo, and Helix. ((Private))

"Um..." Gyro said as he thought. " No sound eh? I guess lights could work. Or maybe if we think really hard we can communicate through our minds." He said as he put his pointer fingers on his temples. He then closed his eyes as if he was trying for the second way of speaking. Helix stared at him and sighed. " I hate him so much." The boy said. " It's kind of hard to think about how else to communicate other then sound. " Helix started." But Gyro did offer a useful idea. We should try and talk to them using different senses. Sight, smell, you know. It's clear that they can't hear, because Gyro so kindly shouted for us. "

Vita nodded. "Yes, good plan. We'll try something like that... touch, sight, and taste would be difficult to communicate with for now, and we've tried sound... so I guess we'll just have to try with smell. Umm... how do we go about doing that exactly? I mean... I suppose we could use food." He quickly stepped over to the fire, peering at it closely, smelling, and looking for clues as to how it was used. Sure enough, there were small bones left in the pit. "They're carnivores or omnivores, so if we catch something we could used that to draw them out."

"Catch something?" Helix asked. He looked around them and while he did, his eyes landed on Gyro. The man was stacking little pebbles on top of each other. He glanced over his should and saw Helix looking at him. That was never good. Gyro took one step back, and Helix took one step forward. That continued for a few more steps until Helix out smarted Gyro and lunged forward. In other words, he distracted the man by pointing behind Gyro and when he looked, he tackled him to the ground. " I caught something." Helix said calmly and Gyro clawed at the ground and tried to get away. " If they're carnivores, we can cut him. Then let him bleed near the entrance of the holes and see if they can smell it. Sounds like a plan?" Helix asked. " But what if it doesn't work? Or they eat me?" Gyro asked. " Who cares? I'm still happy."

Vita watched without comprehension until Helix mentioned having 'caught' his companion. How ridiculous. "I'd rather not. Besides the obvious reason that they might decide to come after all of us if they like the smell, I don't think cutting open your friend is the best way to go about convincing the beings who live here that we're peaceful. Let him go." Taking a knife from his side, he looked for the nearest forested area. "I'll go get something and bring it back; you stay here in case they come out. Got it?"

" I likey that idea." Gyro said and looked up at Helix with hope in his eyes. Helix slowly let Gyro go and sat down near where the bags were. "Alright. But be careful, ok?" After Helix spoke, Gyro tackled the boy. " Take the last bit back! I'm going to be the first one you ever sound concerned about!" "Get off of me you freak or else I really will cut you!"Gelixed yelled as he shoved the man off. " But you really weren't going to cut me in the first place, right?You're a smart kid, you would of known what Vita said and you just wanted to mess with me...right?" Gyro said, not seeming to mind the fact he had hit his head when Helix had shoved him. " I was going to cut you. Hard. I would thinking it would show that we would rather kill something that could fight back rather then s poor fluffy animal...."

Vita sighed, shook his head, and headed off into the dense woodland. It wasn't difficult to catch anything, so much as it was to know what was edible, and what tasted good and bad. So he killed a variety and checked carefully for both. It was not a pleasant experience. Vita was not fond of fighting, let alone killing. Still, it was done, and Vita returned to the other two with three carcasses that he had deemed satisfactory. Letting the blood draw the creatures' attention wasn't a bad idea, but he had had a better one. He re-lit the fire in the fire pit and set the meat to cook on a stick suspended above it. With any luck, they would smell the cooking meat and take it as an invitation to come out, or proof that one of their own had found it safe and begun cooking.

Given time - a few moments, only - there was a reaction. One or two of the large rock doors shifted, and although Vita couldn't properly see what might be peering out of them, he got the distinct feeling that they were being looked over with cautious eyes. He nudged Helix and Gyro. "Psst. We definitely have life signs of some kind."

"How come you got to make the fire?" Gyro asked, clearly not understanding what was the most important thing at the moment. Helix gave him a glare and Gyro decided to build his own fire. He used the left over stick and twigs gut forgot what he was doing and again, started to stack them/ Helix wondered if the movement would scare who, or what ever away but then he couldn't really think that anyone would think Gyro as a threat. He looked over at the holes and did wonder what they had been trying to summon outside all this time. And then suddenly, it hit him. " Um, Vita, were trying to get them out her to talk to them, right? But we just figured out that they don't speak using sound. How are we going to ask them about the person we're trying to find?"

Vita turned to Helix with a small smile. "There are other ways than words, you know? If they can see, we can use body language, pictures, or my crystal. Each might help them understand, or lead us to him. If they can't see or hear, then chances are they use touch. If that's the case, we really have no choice but to move on and hope he isn't on this world." He provided, breaking off part of the stick with one of the dead critters stuck to it. It looked and smelled done, so he walked to the nearest hole and held out the stick over one of the cracks that had been opened slightly. There was a moment's pause in which a soft sniffling could be heard, and then a long, pointed tongue darted out and dragged the animal - stick and all - out of his hands and into the hole. It didn't fit at first, but that didn't even last a second; the tongue was too strong, and the bits that weren't squeezed in from the sheer pressure of the force were shredded off by the rock surface. Vita stared through after it. Something grey-white shimmered back at him from inside. "...Whoa."

"If it's friendly can won't eat us, can we keep it" Gyro asked. Helix shot him a look but didn't beat him like he normally would. "What is it?" helix asked but he didn't walk towards the hole. Gyro did. He stood behind Vita and looked over his shoulder."Can we keeps it?" He asked, even though he didn't know what 'it' was. Helix didn't want to tell them, be he was getting a little nervous. What ever was in the darkness of the hole could be bigger then himself. And that meant it could cook and eat him if it wanted too.

The pearl-coloured creature did not come out all at once. It stuck out its tongue again to collect the fallen and grated bits of meat that had fallen away, and then poked out its smoky muzzle. It snapped open and closed, squirming between the heavy rock and firm ground for a second before the door was lifted up by the bulk of the creature's shoulders. The crack opened bit by bit, and a row of jagged teeth came out after, then two raised eyes. The entire head was out now, including the spiky substance on its cheeks and scalp, which appeared soft and flexible, but was sharp as any knife. It would take a careful and skilled hand to reach under the folds and touch the moist flesh beneath. In some places - places likely prone to counter-attack - there were bones growing out of the muzzle and collar. These were marred with scrapes and dents, but more or less intact. The eyes were staring at both Gyro and Vita, as if expecting something. The head and neck alone were the size of both of Vita's legs. If this thing wanted to, it really could most likely snap them in two.

Gyro's face light up when he saw the creature. He rather liked it. He slowly sat down a little while away from it and smiled at it. "Aw, why you're a cutie. Why didn't you come to see me earlier?" He said. " We has more foods. I would give you some of my snack but I don't think that my food would be healthy for you." While Gyro spoke, Helix started back. He didn't like the creature in front of them. He wanted to say away and let the other two handle it. And hopefully Gyro would get himself eaten. " I wanna pet you. If I give you more food, can I?" He asked it, even though it clearly would not answer back.

The muzzle inched closer, ignoring Gyro as he spoke, and sniffed again. Vita took a step back. The creature appeared to be some sort of reptilian or amphibian race. For some reason it was looking at him more closely than Gyro... and then it was lunging, in its full eight meter length, out of its hole. It was incredibly fast for its size. It was broad and wide, but something told him that was from muscle. Its body was long, but in comparison with the rest of its limbs and parts, it seemed stunted. Small. Like a child. Its legs were thick, and ended in three forward pointing claws. Two larger ones side by side, which could spread apart, and a smaller one in the centre that could move up and extend out. It appeared to be encasing a potent poison or paralytic agent. Vita was highly aware of all these details, because they were aimed at him. The creature was attacking.

Luckily for Vita, his race was well known for its dexterity and mobility, and he not only dodged the attacks, but his limbs moved fluidly as he did so, making any of Gyro and Helix's possible movements look awkward and rigid. Vita slid to a lower centre of gravity on one side of the monster, using one hand to balance himself as he became still again, and he was ready this time when the next strike came. Without time to spin properly to meet its challenger, the alien creature swung its tail instead. It was heavy and ended in a bone tip with prickly edges, but Vita reacted well. He moved out of the line of impact and caught on to the tail, causing it to become frustrated. It stomped one of its hind legs, and the ground under Vita shook roughly. He nearly stumbled from the force of it, and was prepared to counter another attack, but for some reason it had stopped and was staring at him again. Vita's grip loosened slightly, uncertain but fairly willing to believe that the fight was over.

As soon as this happened, the tail was yanked from his grip, and the powerful snout caught him in the stomach, lifting him up and sending the air from his lungs. His ribs hurt, but he resisted the urge to protect himself. The creature's third claw had been retracted, and this motion was one that was somewhat familiar to him. He'd seen in on many worlds, and on his own, it had been called nuzzling. It was an affectionate kind of treatment, although he had no idea what he had done to earn it so suddenly after such a vicious attack.

"Winner!" Gyro said after the fight had stopped. Helix had reached for his gun in his pocket but he was too slow and stunned to use it. Gyro didn't seem worried at all when the monster had attacked. " Vita, that was so cool! You've won both of our affection! Smokey and my own." Gyro said. He wanted to pet their new friend, he had dubbed 'Smokey' but he had not been given permission yet. "You two, stay away from that thing. It...it could eat you..." Helix said trying not to sound too scared of the new monster. " But I like Smokey. " Gyro said simply.

Vita, in an attempt not to fall off when he had been lifted, had flung his arms around the muzzle supporting him by the stomach. It was now bobbing its head up and down, doubtlessly in an attempt to either remove him or nuzzle him further. Finally, it pulled its hind legs forward to sit on them and Vita had a chance to notice that the hind legs had four claws, and they were splayed out more. They were used for grasping things, apparently, because next 'Smokey' leaned its head back down toward the ground and as Vita took the opportunity to let go safely, the hind legs grabbed him and pulled him close for inspection. It would seem that the only way to get through to it now would be touch. So Vita grabbed the claws that were tightening around him and pried them away, and they reluctantly did as he showed. It continued to stare. Vita rifled around under his shirt where he had tucked the crystal earlier, and pulled it out to show the creature. He held it high, but did not remove it. An action like that might make the creature think he was offering it as a gift. Smokey stared, nonplussed. Vita did a quick bit of visual signalling, making it clear that he was looking for a second of these. The giant amphizard took a moment to understand, but when it did, it rolled back onto all four legs and scratched the ground with its hind legs, then proceeded over to the food which was still cooking over the fire.

If anything, it would appear that the creature had just told him he either could not or would not help. With how warm he had been a moment ago, Vita wanted to lean toward the former, but after the quick temperament shift he had experienced, he couldn't say for sure. He could, however, take an educated guess. In the end, he had to admit that the more likely answer was already that the creature knew nothing, so that was probably the answer it had given. Another world, another failure. Vita cursed silently to himself in his native tongue. It had been so long. Would his brother even look like himself? Would he still have the crystal? If he didn't... how would Vita find him, and what if he had already missed him on some other world because he had used it as a reference? No. Vita scolded himself. The best and only real chance of finding him is if he still has it. If he doesn't, this whole thing is pointless, because it would take you far too many generations to search each world over. The best thing now... is to rely on the fact that he'll be different from others on the world he was sent to, and searching for me using the crystal. So if I show up asking about it somewhere on that world... news of him should have made it to whoever I ask. Vita sighed. But it gets harder to believe each time...

Gyro looked over at Vita and he had guessed that Smokey had not been much of a help. He walked over to the boy and patted him on the back. " No luck eh? Well I guess it's always next time right?' He said with his normal wide smile. Suddenly his expression changed from happy to comforting. " You're not alone you know. " He said softly. " me and Helix may not to the easiest to get along with, but we'll stay with you. No matter how long it takes, we won't let you be alone in this. " Gyro wasn't sure how much of a comfort what he said was, but he hoped it helped. Helix had stayed far away from Smokey and refused to go anywhere near it. He also refused to be near any of the holes, just in case more of Smokeys kind came out for the food.

Smokey seemed to be alone in his desire to leave his home, though, because the rest of the holes were still and silent. While Smokey ate away at the food that had been prepared, Vita thought over Gyro's words. Sure, maybe he wasn't travelling alone anymore... but in a way, he was still alone. He didn't have any of his family with him, or even anyone from his own world. He was still just surrounded by strangers. "Thanks." He offered by way of response, although it was clear he was only thanking Gyro for trying to cheer him up. "That's a long time to stick with someone you don't even know though. This search could take you the rest of your lives, or mine."

" I wouldn't mind but Helix..... I'll send him home after a while." He said simply. A strange look came over his face. A sadness that broke through his happy intoxicated face." I'll help you. I'll stay with you until you found who you're looking for because....I need to. I don't know why but...I need to help you.I'm not doing this for you but I'm doing this for myself." He spoke the words as if he was confused to why he was saying them. Slowly his face returned to it's cloudy happy self and he started to laugh. "How high do you think Helix would jump if I went up behind him? I bet a good foot in the air. "

Vita allowed himself to be touched by the humour of the idea. Poor Helix. He really did seem unhappy here; it was a good thing they could leave soon. "Yeah, with those things running around, he seems terrified. It won't exactly improve your relationship if you do, though." He answered, looking around at the other stone doors. They weren't going to come out. "I guess we should leave, then... we're not likely to get any more help here."

"You're right. That would be a bit mean of me." Gyro said. But he started to sneak up behind Helix either way. He tapped the boy on the shoulder and the boy jumped. He was so angry when he saw Gyro behind him smiling. He hit the man hard on the shoulder. The hit looked like it hurt, or broke something, but Gyro started to laugh. What ever he drank must of numbed out the pain. He looked over at Smokey and then back and Helix. " Aw, don't you like him? He's a cutie? I mean, it could of killed Vita, I guess, but it's cute! Go over and pet him." Gyro said as he tried to push the boy forward. Helix shouted some swears at the man and kept his feet firmly in the ground. " I am NOT going near that thing! It will eat me! Stop touching me, stop PUSHING me!" Helix yelled as he tried to beat Gyro's strength. " Vita! Do something, distract him ore make him leave me alone!" Helix begged.

Vita sighed. In a normal situation, he would have said that the two were more trouble than they were worth... but their antics and interactions were kind of funny, and Helix's insight wasn't too shabby. Besides which... this was just one of those things that people find difficult to do alone. With the offer of company, he didn't think he could refuse if the person had been as violent as Smokey, even. "Both of you get over here, would you?" He called over to them. They needed to be in contact if this was going to work for all of them, or they'd be sent to separate worlds when they jumped. "And Gyro... please don't do things that could get one of you hurt."

Vita was of course referring to Smokey, who was now watching the two carefully. Having seen the exchange, and the punch that Helix had given and how Gyro had not responded, it was now eyeing the younger boy in a way that it had done to Vita not long ago before moving into battle. It was probably thinking that Helix was a great fighter if his own kind didn't dare to stand up to him after being hit; second guessing its choice to attack Vita, who had seemed the more likely to be the best fighter.

"Don't worry Vita!" Gyro said as he started to drag Helix over." I'll always protect Helix. I'll make sure he'll never get hurt.Isn't that right dear friend?" In a flash he had Helix's head under his arm. The boy tried to wiggle and cry as he tried to get out of Gyro's grasp. " Let goooooo....." Helix whined and made himself sound like the child he looked like. " So what's the plan now Vita?" Gyro asked as he let go of the boy. When he did, Helix tried to hit him. Gyro had his eyes closed but some how was easily able to doge the strike. Helix tried to hit him a few more times but none of his hit's landed on Gyro. Gyro didn't seem to notice the reason why Smokey had attacked, or the fact the he was now looking at Helix. "Stop moving so I can hit you!" Helix said as he tried to punch Gyro in the face. He quickly grabbed the boy's arm and in one swift movement he had Helix off the ground, in his arms and was snuggling his face. "Aw, you be so grumpy. It may be bed time for you. " Helix let out a small grumble but didn't do anything more. He looked very upset and grumpy as Gyro said, but he knew, no matter how hard he tried, he wouldn't be able to hit Gyro if the man didn't want him to. Helix was beaten into submission for the time being. " Hi Smokey~" Gyro said as he waved at his new friend.

The creature watched curiously, not able to make out what these interactions meant, but deciding in the end that he probably had chosen the more competent of the three; Vita was the only one who was not drawn into the small confrontations, and must therefore be the leader.

Vita watched wistfully and shook his head. He wondered if travelling to other worlds would somber their attitudes. Bad things could certainly happen in those other places if the weren't careful. If they saw a few of the horrors he had, would that easy-going attitude change? "Well, I think it's about time we left-" He commented, stepping forward to touch each of them. He made sure he had a firm grip, as he might lose them if he wasn't careful, and gathered up his energy. The experience was mildly like being shoved off off a cliff, only the ground was still beneath their feet, and they had all been pushed as one, from all directions. The jolt had been hard on his body at first, but Vita had gotten used to it with time, and sure enough they were now in an entirely different landscape. A chill went down Vita's spine. It was a dark place, and only a faint glow from various places along the wall made it clear where they were. It was some sort of very large cavern, and it split off in many directions, stretching high above. Vita let out a small awed gasp as his eyes adjusted to it. The walls were so smooth, and Vita wanted to say they were crafted, but they had a distinctly natural appearance to them. There were large stalagmites and stalactites that connected at the middle here and there, and it almost felt like being in a stone building with support beams, but made of solid stone. Gemstones glittered back at them from here and there, just as smooth on the surface as the walls, as if they had been weathered away in the same manner as the common stone around them.

"...what is this?" He asked, disbelieving. His race rarely saw he ground, and even on other worlds where he had been on it so often, he had never been beneath it. He had never seen a cave, and it gave him the disturbing feeling that it would collapse on him and smother him to death, and nobody would ever be the wiser.

"Warn me the next time you do that!" Helix said with a jump and she qucikly shifted away from the two. Not only was he touched, he didn't like the feeling of jumping worlds. "But he did warn you." Gyro said but qucikly hid behind Vita. Helix was in a 'throwing stuff at your face' mood. "Where are we?" The boy asked with a frown. He had never been underground and the thought never came across him. " "A cave. Must be a cave. " Gyro said as he placed his hand against the wall. " Or some under ground tunnels. But we are underground. I've never seen a place like this above ground." He said as he glanced at the gem stones. " Underground?!" Helix nearly shouted." You're kidding right? This...." After his mind has a second to think, he didn't know why he was over reacting. He had never been underground either. He looked around for a moment before looking at Vita. " Well, let's just find someone. Do what we did before. We better keep on trying to find who you're looking for." He said with a nod. Gyro still stared at the wall. Helix was too far away from the man to see the look on his face. Something dark was trying to break free from under his happy face,

"...Under the ground?!?" Vita choked, suddenly paling and looking sick. "How far, d'you think?"

He was more than a little twitchy about the idea. Yes, surely the sky would collapse on them and moment; the earth would swallow them whole, and they would never see the light of day again, and- wait, find people? Down here? HAH! Not bloody likely...! ... Wait, was it? "You think people might actually be down here?" The idea that someone might choose to stay down here was beyond him, and he didn't know if he really wanted to stay to ask around, and... no, but he couldn't do that! Especially not here! What if this was where his brother had been sent? If he'd been stuck down here, constantly terrified of the same things as Vita was now experiencing, and Vita was going to leave him to suffer like that forever because he wasn't comfortable with looking around for a little while? No. He had to stay. "All right... okay, we'll look. I don't see how anything could live down here, without the sun, though. They- Gyro? What are you looking at?"

Gyro looked over at Vita when he heard his name. A dark look had come into his eyes. As quick as it came, the dark storm in his eyes had been replaced with his normal intoxicated glaze. " That walls and shiny and stuff." He said with a wide smile. What was bothering him had left him. "We should look for people. "Gyro said as he took Vita's hand. He then took Helix's and started to walk down the tunnel. " Besides, Smokey was underground right? How come people can't be down here?'" He asked Vita. "Because people know and are afraid of caves. The roof could come down!" Helix said as he tried to pull his hand from Gyro's grasp. He really hated to be touched but his friend did it anyway. " And people sometimes know that there are worst things to be afraid of above ground." Gyro snapped at Helix. His voice had deepened with rage. But again, as quickly as it came, it left. But this time, Helix noticed it. He had never heard Gyro sound like that before. Not even when he was in a fight with his father. Gyro is not the kind of person to get upset. Helix suddenly felt more afraid of the man in front of him then the thought of being underground. "Let's...just hurry and find people...." Helix said softly.

Back
Top Bottom