Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Holy Crap, Do I Love Star Trek

I strongly disagree. Maybe the first series wasn't exactly known for it's depth and awesomely written dialog, but the characters were forerunners.

Kirk was one of the first truly defined characters to fit into the role of Lawful-Good. Respecting the Federation, but not afraid to step over his bounds when it needed to be done.

Picard was as opposite as he could be without straying from the role as a Captain, being Lawful-Neutral. Holding the Prime Directive above all else, needing to take deep consideration and analysis of every move he made.

I could go into detail beyond that, but it would just make me look like way too much of a dork.

No, no, no no. I didn't said that characters weren't cool. I said that the characters are unrealistic and fake.
Take, for example, Spock. You like Spock, I like Spock. But is his "logic" really "logic"? No.
Or Data. Robot with memory of the entire human history, behavior patterns and who supposedly has superior deducting skills...yet he lacks "social skills" as well as doesn't seem to understand people. Leave alone the fact that,like Spock, he is supposed to be emotion-less while his actions prove him to be calm at best but certainly not emotionless.

Now I could waste more of my time describing why other characters are fake(I started with the most obvious ones) but then, I don't know if I would have achieved anything..and it would make me look like dork. Think however....it is stated that humanity "evolved" into something different then it is now. Doesn't it mean that the writers generally fucked up the realism of characters(every characters, main and episodic, good and evil) since the very beginning? That since the very beginning they weren't supposed to act like...to be real persons? Oh yes it does.

I started watching Trek because my father watches it. Next Gen.and DS9 being our favorites. As for the old characters being fake: it was the 60's. Most t.v. shows from that time were that bad. And the writing staff wasn't really given a chance to show their stuff. Networks have a hard time understanding what Sci Fi is about.

I do have to admit, the characters on DS9 probably did have some of the most reasonable personal story lines which really took some of the most time out of the entire expanded universe. The problem I had with DS9, which really isn't that much of a problem, is that a lot of the time I couldn't just watch any random episode when I first started watching it. I actually had to watch it in order, for the most part, or I'd be lost. :F

But that's not a bad thing, just not what I was used to with my Trek.

Hence why DS9 is called a Space Opera. All the joy of high tech wonders with real people trying to survive in an era of war, coupled with the twists you'd would expect to find on any day time soap. As well as some you wouldn't.

I think the Dominion was a nice parallel to the Borg. With the all powerful leaders, the physically and technologically superior troops, victory or death. Although they did have Alliances and took prisoners, it was only if they proved useful. Realistic strategy.

Back
Top Bottom