Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Black Mirror - discuss, gush, you get the drill.

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
So. Netflix airs a British tv series called Black Mirror. A rough overview of this show is that it's reminiscent of The Twilight Zone. Each episode is standalone and each episode is about some sort of bizarre circumstance. The one thing tying together the episodes of this particular show is that each circumstance revolves around a specific form of technology. Given this, there are episodes that are dystopian in nature among other things. If you like scifi and its subgenres, it'll appeal. Likewise, if you like thought provoking and highly intense situations, it'll appeal even more. The show is extremely dark and something one cannot easily marathon due to content. Yes, it's that intense and mentally stimulating. It affects one's emotions rather profoundly.

Anyway, I've watched 4 episodes so far and going strong. Who else watches or is intrigued? What episodes have you seen? What are your thoughts! Discuss away, but be mindful of potential spoilers, so label accordingly! Thanks!

The Entire History of You
I feel this episode so bad. My own social anxiety and obsessive compulsive nature mean that I would be in the same mind set as the guy, obsessively collecting memories and constantly reviewing them to over analyze the hell out of them.

White Bear
I loved this episode, but I got stuck on the logistics of it. How much does this rehabilitation park cost to maintain? All for one person? Do the bystanders pat to get in? Who would pay to get in? How is rehabilitation possible if they are constantly wiping her memories? What she did is truly terrible, without a doubt, but does this punishment fit the crime?

I got about halfway through the second episode before I hit TERMINAL REALNESS and had to stop. Same problem I had with Luther.

GREAT show, though.

I've watched all of season 1 and the first episode of season 2. Never have I ever felt such gut wrenching emotion while watching a mere tv show. I'm usually one to marathon shows that have a lot of episodes. But...not this one. I've got to process everything both during and after and, as such, need a 'break' in between viewings. It triggers so much in my brain on multiple levels.

YES! The show is absolutely stellar! : )

Thanks for the recommendation, DA. I'm downloading all three series at this very minute. I don't watch much television, but Black Mirror definitely sounds a rare one to attract my interest, and I'm sure I'll have some comments once I get around to watching them. Which, hopefully. won't be that far away!

You're welcome. It's a fantastic show. These episodes have made me feel ill, horrified, sooo many things! Anything that can cause you to have a physical response is doing something right!! I warn...VERY DARK CONTENT! : )

I looked it up and it seems really interesting! I can't believe I'm just hearing about it

Oh yeah, I remember when this first aired. It was pretty fucked up at times, which is to be expected from Brit stuff.

That said the one with the Prime Minister and the pig becomes hi-larious in light of those David Cameron allegations.

Indeed. The show is fantastic!

Oh god.....that episode! I was violently ill afterwards and don't look at pigs the same as a result. Like, I can't even look at little decorations I once thought were cute! lol! That episode left a mark!

darkangel76 said:
You're welcome. It's a fantastic show. These episodes have made me feel ill, horrified, sooo many things! Anything that can cause you to have a physical response is doing something right!! I warn...VERY DARK CONTENT! : )

I ADORE dark content, DA, particularly psychologically dark, so it's right up my alley. Unfortunately, the files I downloaded were corrupted, so I'll have to find another source - I really should get Netflix! -, however the good news is it's a holiday weekend, and once I do, I'll have free time to watch.

This is extremely dark and thought provoking stuff. If that's what you love, then you'll truly like this. If not, well, I'll be shocked. Plain and simple. XD As I mentioned, each episode has left a mark on me, pulling out strong emotions and leaving me dumbfounded. I can't marathon this show. My brain goes on overload. Though in the most delicious of ways. >.<

Mr Quixotic said:
darkangel76 said:

I ADORE dark content, DA, particularly psychologically dark, so it's right up my alley. Unfortunately, the files I downloaded were corrupted, so I'll have to find another source - I really should get Netflix! -, however the good news is it's a holiday weekend, and once I do, I'll have free time to watch.

psssst.

http://the-watch-series.to/serie/black_mirror

Thanks for the link, Trygon. Much appreciated, however, I figured out it was my technological ineptitude causing the problems, rather than the files being corrupted, and I just need to update my VLC media player to view them!

White Christmas
Holy shit, this one was intense. Once more the question of the punishment fitting the crime can be asked, in both cases, though in the British guy's case it is perhaps a bit more justified.

Be Right Back
I think I just cried the whole time.

Regarding 'Be Right Back'....YESSSS!!!! OMFG!!!

Never had I felt sickened, horrified, and angry all at once. I even had a moment of...YAY before that was crushed entirely. I felt violently ill by the end and needed time to process what I'd watched.

I cried at the end. I cried so hard! Knowing people will comply with or without a 'nudge' if the price is right. Just...guh. Terrible to think about.

Not a future I'd want. I'd become even more self critical than I already am. Talk about a nervous breakdown! I've enough of those without that adding to it!

Like xana, I sobbed through the entire thing. I felt Martha's pain. Whole thing was gut wrenchingly devastating.

Dear god this was intense! And the twist at the end! What a fucking mind trip, not to mention a horrid sort of torture! I felt conflicted after because the woman was made innocent in so many ways despite her past. So after the first round it was like...no words. Conflicted and disturbed.

Speaking of the likes of National Anthem, I think it might also help to know that a good deal of Charlie Brooker's other works have taken a sharp critical edge to both modern news, and modern media in general. And for anyone looking for his social critiques in a more comedic and less 'good god this is legitimately horrifying to watch' light, his Screenwipe series remains a most see for any media student.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI[/video]

And it might be a good way to pass time until season 3 starts up... in October, apparently.

I'm certainly going to be looking into this. Brooker is fucking brilliant as is his wife. I know they both pretty much wrote everything for the scripts thus far. Anyway, it would be cool to hear him give critiques and just get a sense of how his mind works—both analytically and creatively, not to mention from this comedic standpoint you mentioned. I'm quite excited for season 3, which does indeed come out in October. Presently, I've only one episode left—White Christmas. >.<

Interesting perspective and it's rather disturbing how easily someone will replace you if so desired. Makes you realize your own insignificance and no one likes to be reminded of that.

The whole concept of this is utterly disturbing. Even the most introverted of introverts needs some sort of human contact. I was left very unsettled with this particular story and for more than one reason.

This episode was pretty good, but I can't help but say Community did it first. I liked that Community looked at the issue from the top down, while this episode followed one woman's descent. Also Community's version was funny, and easier swallow than the terrifying descent of this one.

Wait! This sounds extremely familiar to me. I think our philosophy professor mentioned an episode or two to make a point.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I have never watched the series.
Was there about something on time? There are "minute men" who are in charge with minutes. They would destroy everything after the minute is over, and rebuild the whole world at the very start of a new minute? That is why sometimes a person forgets a thing and looks for where she thinks she put it earlier on, only to find it is not there. The reason is the men might have forgotten to rebuild it there. Next minute, they would realise their mistake and rebuild it there. That is when the person could have sworn she placed it there and find it again there next minute.

:blush: Was there an epidode about the above, or is that something else?

:p

Back
Top Bottom