Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Burned and Blackened Blood (G23 & loneiysong)

Furad chuckled at her statement. "Would that you had heard the legends and stories of my siblings dear one. I am the most famous in the other races solely because in effect I am the sole survivor. But my deeds are nothing compared to so many. Perhaps you were unaware but there were more than thirty thousand years of time lost in the past before the creation of Tiashin and the throne of my body."

"But still I am grateful for your respect and have done my best to repay it appropriately. But Dragons accept no rulers. We give respect to our elders when it is due them, but otherwise we are very free and independent creatures. Especially we females. Dragons are one big family, but we have no central leadership. And no royalty, because we are all of high bloodlines."

She smiled at the young one. "As for that it is namely because, forgive me, your bloodline is doomed."

The Black Dragon said nothing, still working to sooth Tirana, but now he was fiddling with her wound while Furad spoke.

"A darkness is creeping into the hearts and minds of the citizens of Nethis. The source is not known. Even to us. It is more than rebellion or even greed. Someone or something is giving rise to a need for power and slaughter in many. Your brother would be proof enough i should think. That the others do the same is yet more evidence. You were chosen because your heart has not been tainted. I chose you as my spiritual daughter because you remind me so much of myself. And my brethren and sistren agreed."

She looked to her fellow who nodded. "You were granted this blessing because your soul is a prime candidate to become that of a Dragon Souled. That we did not choose. We know our absence has made it more difficult, but it was clear even when Furad still lived that we were not truly welcome. We are too powerful, too old, too strange, and just too Dragon to be accepted. Especially as we think, feel, and live with true freedom and accept no masters. Humans and the others cannot understand or accept that. So we hid ourselves. And bided our time. That a Souled in potentia was born to the Royal family still has us all stunned. it has never happened before. Some have claimed it, and gone mad looking into the eyes off Furad's skull. but you knew better. We blessed you to protect you. Even while in your mother's womb. But to be clear our blessing was solely the protections we have given, and the ability to speak to the spirit of Furad. Your soul, your birthmark, your ability to claim the right of the Souled even before truly becoming one, is because you are destined to live as a Souled. In both worlds. A Dragon who walks among the other races."

Furad spoke now. "it's beyond clear that you are not only unique but also needed. You are not specially chosen to fulfill some prophecy or legend. Dragons cannot prophesy, and we cannot truly figure in the prophesies of the others. We are too malleable. But you could be the bridge between the Dragon nation, and the other peoples of Nethis. Perhaps the one true chance for a truly equal peace between your two lineages. That of blood, and that of truth. you will always be Crown Princess Tirana of Nethis, Lady of the Tiashin. But you are also Sky-Lady Tirana, Purple Dragon of Tiashin. We do not want to sever either life, but to instead strengthen both. Can you understand that?"

She was obviously crestfallen when she heard that her bloodline was doomed. She did see it and knew it was true. Her family. She swallowed at the thought. Too few of them had any good in them. Hells be damned, her own brothers tried to kill her just because her mother and father didn't care much for her and a few rumors abounded about her.

Taking a deep breath she nodded. She then ran a nail along her jaw as she thought and then nodded again. "I willl do my best to make you proud of me Furad. And I will serve both sides. I do have one last question. If I am here, and Dragons are still existing....does that mean that Little Dragons too exist?" She looked up at Furad. "I guess what I mean is, will I have a companion through this?" She blushed. She had to know. She couldn't help herself.

Furad laughed. "You are a Little Dragon. What do you think? But you must have other questions."

She sighed. "And I can feel your worry about your family. While they are doomed, that does not mean that peace is an impossibility. And what you must understand is that the doom is not certain, if we can make peace between your two kinds."

The black Dragon spoke now. "Your brothers have been itching for the power and opportunity of a war for some time. Especially Damien. We have kept a special eye on them since their conception. Only you have any chance for breaking their need for blood and power. Because you must realize this dear one. Even combined the races of Nethis cannot hope to best the Dragons. If we must fly forth to defend ourselves the slaughter will be unimaginable. Even defensively our abilities to kill or destroy are beyond anything even the legends have spoken of."

He gestured at her. "You are a fresh Dragon, yet even wounded you flew more than three miles in and more than a mile up to this bowl. Imagine that strength multiplied by billions. Your brothers think they can survive and profit from this war. They are only going to doom Nethis. Your family is doomed because of their attempt to harm you. Perhaps your parents can be spared from the danger, and certainly your grandmother and likely your uncles, aunts, and cousins, but your brothers have set themselves upon a path that will destroy them, and unless we handle things correctly, that could consume your whole family and nation."

She bit her claw tips and thought about other questions. But Furad broke her out of her racing mind that was just chasing its tail. She nodded as they spoke about her brothers. Running her nails over the smooth scales of her head and ultimately touching her horns that were barely nubs denoting her age she groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Damien is about as stubborn as a blind mule that thinks he knows the world just by standing on its masters map." She rubbed her claw against the side of her face she knew he was doomed and when he became king there would be tons of bloodshed and turmoil until someone assassinated him, and she hated to think that of her brother, but heartless kings never ruled forever. She then looked up and then nodded. "I do not doubt the power of the Dragon. I have long revered the power of the Dragon and knew in my heart of hearts they would return...or at least hoped they would." She sighed and then thought.

"My grandmother I will keep safe until my dying day..and my uncle Marcus..and Beth. Those are the three that I know would not hurt me if they knew who I was for sure. The others in my family I am not sure what they would do." She took a deep breath and then cleared her throat.

"How will I know when my time is come to turn into a dragon again?" She looked at Furad not wanting to dwell on this sad subject.

Furad smiled. "Who says you have a limit? You have discovered your truth. As your elder I can only advise, not command you. All of this is entirely up to your choice of course. Even your change. But I would advise you wait until a new friend arrives. Someone who can live in both worlds like yourself, but also can teach you. For all the stories about me I was a very young Dragon when I died, and though I have learned much in the time since, I am not your teacher. i have not felt the wind on my wings since before this crater existed."

She sighed, but continued to smile. "You are wise dear one. But for your safety i advise you delay your next change until the friend comes and makes themself known."

The black Dragon spoke again. "You can always reach Furad. She is your spiritual mother Dragon. That is a connection that can never be severed. She will able to help sooth your mind, and still the need for the change as it comes."

Furad nodded. "One thing I must say. While we are beyond pleased with your nature and reverance, and for your rightness as a Dragon, to become a Souled is a not an easy life. While it would not be easy, if you wished we would likely bypass all the trouble if we took your Dragon."

Furad raised her claws before Tirana could speak. "I would not do it even if forced. Unless you wished it. The will of any Dragon is absolute in determining his or her fate. So we must know. Do you wish to endure this life?"

"No I wasn't even hinting that there was a limit, but I was just saying that I will give anything for those three." Looking at Furad she nodded again and then said gently. "So by your meaning, this friend of mine, he will know himself better than I know myself now?" She asked looking up. It would be nice to have someone that would be able to be a mentor and guide. She smiled and nodded to Furad.

"I have felt your presence ever since I was little and my brothers locked me for a day in the dungeon where people are said to go mad. I heard your Dragons song." She chuckled softly. "They said I did go mad." She shook her head and then looked up as they were implying something horrible.

"Are you saying, you can take away my Dragon half?" She stood up and her wings spread defensively. "Has there every been someone so foolish to give back a gift?" She went wide eyed and looked from one to the other. It was obvious if one made an attempt to come near her in what she assumed to take away her dragon half she was going to take off.

The black Dragon raised his claws and laughed. "No. We would not take it away. But we would free you of the burden should you wish it. That said we would mourn the loss even more than had you died instead. To be a Dragon is a privilege mere words cannot describe. But yes your new friend will be able to teach and guide you in all manner of things relating to your life as Dragon."

Furad chuckled. "i have no physical form anymore anyway dear one. But to answer your question yes there are those who have refused the gift."

The other stretched. "You did not hear Furad's song. That was solely the song of the Thunder. One thing you must do upon returning by the way. Look into Furad's eyes. Truly. And you must do the same to the other. It completes your transformation. Looking into Furad's pledges yourself to your Dragon-mother. We would prefer you also refrain from looking into the eyes of any of your family until you have done so. Especially your grandmother. She is a strong woman but the sight of a Dragon's eyes has killed even the mightiest, and driven mad countless others. She is an ally both you and we will need desperately."

Furad spoke again. "I was part of the song you heard, and I was calling to you. And i have been near at hand. Linked to your birthmark actually..right?" She asked this of the other who nodded, his deep green eyes blinking all three eyelids in rapid succession. Furad smiled. "We were not sure what shape it would take. Speaking of. Would you like the shape altered in some way? I am not sure I could but i have worried that it troubled you."

Hearing that anyone would give up being a Dragon made her shake her head. "The fools. Sure it is a burden, but so is being a human, so is living a life. But there are rewards." She shook her head again. "No, to forfeit any of my gifts given to me at birth would be like forfeiting any part of myself." She smiled and looked up at her and smiled sadly. "But I do mourn the loss of the foolish."

"No, it brings me comfort. Besides, it doesn't bother me any. It only bothered my nurse maids because it took up a lot of my back, but the only one who sees it is myself." She blushed thinking of if she would ever have a lover they would see it to, but they would just have to accept her in her entirety and that would just be a minor thing. She then nodded. She stood up and stretched her wings again and then smiled. "Furad, I feel like you had a hand in shaping me in who I am, to ask you to change any little bit of who that is would be ungrateful. No, I will not change any bit. It makes me, me. Tirana. And I am honored that you are my spirit mother and you have given me such a gift." She bowed gently. "Is there anything else I should know?"

Something clicked in her brain as she decided to ask quickly.

"What is this song of the Thunder and answering to the Thunder you keep refering to? Pardon me for not knowing, but I have never heard it referenced."

The black Dragon laughed. "There are whole millennia of knowledge you should know little one. But that will take time. as to the Thunder..well birds fly in flocks. Crows in murders. Geese in gaggles. Parliament of owls. Brood of hens. Cast of hawks. Conspiracy of ravens. A convocation of eagles. And so on. Dragons fly in thunders. For a number of reasons. Collectively our race is known as the Thunder. The Song of the Thunder is the song of all Dragons. That which called to you as a child. Now some call our groups, Clans, or Holds, or even Rages or Wings, and some called them Diginities. But we have always preferred Thunder."

Furad nodded. "The flight of the Thunder is greater than any storm ever known. Such winds and powers even the mightiest cannot stand before it. Such is your new life and destiny Tirana."

The other rumbled and blew some flame as he smiled. "When you are matured in this form you will fly forth to meet your kind. And you will learn the truth of the Thunder."

Furad sighed happily. "Truly a marvelous day for one and all of us, but most especially for you."

"Beautiful, a Thunder of Dragons." She said dreamily and looked up at the sky and shut her eyes for a moment dreaming of the skies swarming with Dragons and that beautiful song. She shivered in the pure delight and rapture of the thought.

She smiled and nodded and couldn't help but flutter her wings at the mere thought. "I cannot wait. But I will keep the faith and do what you have told me." Then she blushed and looked at the black Dragon and cleared her throat shyly. "Um, I just realized, I have talked with you and slept with you but I do not yet know your name." She chuckled as her scales curled shyly.

"As you know my name is Tirana." She did a humble bow.

he smiled. "It is not time for you to know my name little one. but I applaud your manners. Speaking of. as the younger Dragon you should let your elder speak first, unless it's clear they wish you to, but always bow, crouch, fold your wings, or otherwise show respect."

He bowed back as he spoke. "Now. we have been here some time. Those below are growing very worried despite the reassurances. It might be best for you to change. Do not be troubled. i have other business to attend to." He bowed to her again, then to Furad, and flaring his wings, making the mountain seem to have sprouted them for a moment, he waited, then leapt away as the wind surged. With steady beats that smashed down on her with the sheer pressure of his massive wings, each flap feeling as if he was crushing her to the earth, he took off. his speed was remarkable. he flew so fast it was doubtful any below had seen him.

Furad smiled. "I will be with you little one. And your new guide soon enough. Tonight most likely. Just will yourself to become your human form. Accept that form as the one proper to you. Of course you should fly down to a safe place first. perhaps the balcony of your bedroom?"

She nodded and then blushed. "Yes...forgive me." She blushed and rubbed her arm blushing and folded her wings in tighter and looked down. She shifted her weight and looked down and swallowed. She looked up and then over to where the town was and then sighed and nodded. "I agree." She sighed and then gasped as he flared his wings and took off. He was massive and powerful. Leaning down she shut her eyes and gasped. What was it about his name that she couldn't know? Or it wasn't time. Dragons were as mysterious as they were awesome. Wincing, she stood up as he was away.

"Thank you very much Furad." She stepped closer and sighed. "Yes, I agree. Then I can change, and make it back to the tents down below." She bit her lip and then stood at the bowl of the mountain and spread her wings and then turned to look at Furad one last time and bowed her head again. Then she leaped into the sky and took off flying and was off like a shot and came across the castle and gripped onto the castle on her side of the castle and moved around to her bedroom balcony. She shifted and turned human so she could slip and slide to the balcony and blushed. It was easier than she thought to turn human. She blushed and looked down seeing she was covered in glittering particles known as dragon scales. It was known to happen when someone rode a dragon or was too close to a dragon when they shifted. She shivered and chuckled nervously. Walking into her room, she dusted off the glitters and last bits of magic putting her crown on the bed and changed into a dark purple gown that matched her scales and put on her crown and rushed back to the tents as fast as she could.

But before the tents, she made a secret side trip to the throne room. She looked around, seeing no one there, she knelt before the throne and sighed looking up at the skeleton and pressed her hands together. "Furad...thank you." She whispered in her mind while looking in the eyes of the skeleton pledging herself forever as the spiritual daughter of the Dragon and to upkeep the pride of the Thunder.

She thought about her grandma and Sharpfang and Beth. She blushed hoping they weren't too concerned.

Furad fell silent as she departed, leaving her some time for peace and privacy.

Until she knelt before the throne. She was alone. As the girl spoke the Dragon looked down into her eyes and the voice spoke. Thank you dear one.

~

Rowena was on the lift. She had received a note from an unknown source, and now she was obeying.

When the lift reached the top and stop she peered in and could not help a sigh of relief. It was indeed her dear Tiran. But her voice still quavered when she said, "Tirana?"

She bowed in thanks at the voice. "No great mother, thank you." She smiled and got up and nodded and then turned and walked out. She saw a figure on the lift and then smiled seeing her grandmother. She moved forward and sighed seeing her grandmother and hugged her tightly and nuzzled close taking in a deep shaking breath.

"Oh gramma..." She couldn't help but use her childhood name for her. She thought she would never see her again when she was being trampled. She held her tighter and bit her lip.

Rowena wrapped about the girl, squeezing her in close, then drew back to examine Tirana's face. "Are you alright? No one knows what happened....not really anyway. Everyone just knew you had vanished. I...i was worried something horrible had happened."

She cupped the girl's face. "Are you alright sweety?"

"Yea...I am fine...I just...I got separated in the big hustle and the crowds." She stroked her grandmothers arms never being so happy to be in them and then smiled looking at her grandmothers face not focusing on her eyes, but somewhere on her forehead where it would look like she was looking in her eyes, making it seem like she was looking in her eyes, keeping the wise Mother Dragons words in her heart.

"Yes, gramma. My brothers cornered me though. They wish to do me more harm than I originally thought." While she wasn't coming out to her grandmother and admitting she was a Dragon, she was still being truthful.

Rowena's eyes flashed dangerously. She kissed Tirana's cheek. "I want you to stay with me from now on."

She hugged the girl, then lead her into the lift. "Your parents have been very worried. And Beth beside herself. As has a new orc friend of yourself."

She kissed the girl again. "What happened dear one?" The lift began to lower but Rowena did not release her granddaughter.

"Grandma." She sighed and sat down. "I am going to tell you something in confidence and my mentor but you must not tell anyone else." She said as she sat down once inside the lift and alone. She held her grandmothers hand and she bit her lip and leaned back and cleared her throat and rubbed her jaw and looked at her grandmother and leaned close.

"Gramma...you know how I have always dreamed of Dragon dreams? Damien found out. Damien shot me with an arrow and made it so I had no choice but to turn at the festival. I was the purple Dragon he was trying to kill." Se whispered and bit her lip. "Please gramma...please don't tell anyone. You are the only person I trust.

Rowena's eyes widened. "you..You are...But...you..." She slowly nodded, then pressed against the girl's forehead. "I never thought you might be a Souled....what an honor."

She shook herself entirely overwhelmed. "I can't believe he shot you...What...." She sat back and fell silent studying her granddaughter. "Of course I will be silent...but i can hardly believe you are a Souled. And that your brother shot you...is he insane? The Dragons will be furious."

her eyes narrowed, then widened with surprise. "No...they will be maddened to insanity...how did you survive dear one?"

"I talked to them..." She laughed softly. "Or They talked to me. They said that it didn't surprise Them. Oh my Gods gramma, Furad was so amazing. She was more beautiful than the legends give her credit." She smiled and then blushed and then shrugged. "I asked for the Dragon's name, but he wouldn't give it to me. He was very very large, and he was black. But when Damien shot me, I had stumbled into a tent and thought then I was going to die because of trampling. Then...the Dragon inside of me, became enraged. It was totally insane. Then it came out, and saw Damien and all my brothers all ready to kill me and then I was even more upset. Then Furad was in my head saying don't hurt anyone which was more frustrating." She laughed realizing she was going on and on.

"But I realized I had to fly, so I did. It hurt a lot. But when I got to the mountain, the dragon helped me." She blushed and rubbed her face and looked at her gramma. She told her all about the conversation and what the dragons had told her. And how she had to be careful and they needed each other the next few days.

Rowena stared in awe.

Then she drew the girl into a crushing hug. "I'm so proud of you! The first Souled in ages and in our family. i never even dreamed of such an honor!"

Her eyes darkened. "or such a burden...Sweety are you sure it's safe for you to be here now? Your brothers might try again...." She stroked Tirana's hair, clearly worried. "if I could i would teach you how to defend yourself in your new place...but I have no idea. And you still can't fight them...not legally anyway. What are you going to do?"

She chuckled returning the hard hug and smiled. "No burden. Furad will keep me safe along with the Thunder. Honestly, for the first time in my life, I am not afraid." She kissed her grandmothers brow and looked at her. "Truly. I feel lighter than I have in ages." She watched her.

Rowena nodded slowly, then hugged the girl again. "Alright sweetheart. But you be careful anyway."

She started to say more and realized they had reached the bottom. She lead the princess to a carriage, which took them out to the Royal Tent.

Willow rushed to her daughter. Of course she had not heard what Damien had done, and never would believe it even if she had. The Queen hugged the Princess, then cupped her chin. "Are you alright my dear?"

"I know. I just wish I knew how he found out how I was a Dragon." She whispered softly and held her grandmothers hand. She walked with her to the carriage and followed her to the royal tents.

She smiled and nodded to her mother. "Yes, just a little startled and shaken from the crowd is all." She said simply which was what was expected of her. She looked at the same spot on her mothers face where she looked at her grandmother so she wouldn't run the risk of driving her mother insane. "I am so sorry to have worried you." She smiled weakly to her mother.

She saw her brother there draped amongst his many girls. She then looked at her mother and smiled.

Damien was still out cold. Of course this only had the girls attending to him more attentively, but that could not be helped.

Willow smiled in return. "it is good you are well and back with us sweet one. I was worried about you. So was your father."

Binoc moved up and hugged his daughter."I saw the bloody tent. i was very concerned. Mother."

Rowena nodded. But her eyes were not even on her granddaughter. or on her still unconscious grandsons. Or the others. Instead they were on the pavilion before the tent. The joust was still going on, and even now two massive warhorses and their knights were thundering toward each other while a hood figure in a black robe stood calmly in the lists.

Binoc and Willow noted her eyes and turned to see the figure. The hem of the robe was dusty white, clearly from a long journey.

"Who is...GET OUT OF THERE YOU FOOL!!"

The figure did not move as the two lances bore down on him. The horses foamed, and the men shrieked. The lances met on the figure but did not touch him, splintering and scattering as both knights fell and the horses collapsed, panting but unhurt.

The figure slowly walked forward, and everyone seemed to draw back, save Binoc who moved between the figure and his women.

The figure marched right to the king, then bowed. Binoc gave a short yet respectful bow and the figure straightened up as he threw back his hood. His skin was darkly tanned, his face handsome, but his eyes were a very familiar poison green. And those of a Dragon.

Binoc and Willow blinked then bowed again.

The newcomer smiled at them, bowed even lower to Rowena, then turned to Tirana. His eyes blazed as his voice rumbled forth. "I am Nabaz. Lord of the Sky. Come to discuss the act of war committed against a Dragon of the Thunder. As a Souled I shall accept the rights according to one of my station. And will demand access to another. Do we have terms?"

Back
Top Bottom