Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sacrifice (Amaria & Mr. M)

It took little time for the horses to inspect both Gil and Tom. "Hold tight, gentlemen, for a swift ride. Watch a three hour journey turn to one. They know where we are going so if you should lose sight of us don't worry." Merna could not hide the humor in her voice nor her large grin. It usually took some adjusting for a heedrin to get used to the speed of a wild horse and more may be needed for a human, but hopefully these two wouldn't find it too difficult.

"To Adale Hold!" Jayden shouted. This time he would head off first, taking the lead into the heedrin village. His horse shot off faster than any animal from a full stop. Hern jumped as gracful as a deer and the others followed suit. He smiled wishing he could see the faces of the humans as they felt the first jolt of their horses sprinting. It would be smooth after that but the first part is always quite rough if you are not expecting it.

The path they took was narrow and winding, sometimes it was barely visible to one not used to the forest trails. Though his was not as strong as Merna's, Jayden felt with his soulsight making sure she was still close and awake. Her strength was waning for some time and it was now noticeable even to him.

"I'm fine Jayden, save your strength for dealing with your father."

He laughed when she replied, very little went past her, even in her tired state. They reached Lake Elyroth and the Adale Hold by the end of morning meal. The horses naturally slowed as they approached, circling the west end of the Lake and stopped completely when they reached the arched gate. It was large and impressive, made of what looked like the branches of two of the largest trees in the entire forest. Without a sound the large gate swung open as Jayden dismounted. Merna stayed on her mount whispering to Gil and Tom to follow her lead.

A group of three young heedrin ran to greet them. “Jayden! Jayden! You're back!”

“Did you bring us anything?”

“Did you find Stacia?”

“Did you kill any humans?!”

Three identical sets of brown eyes stared at him, clung to him keeping him from walking forward. The oldest was only as tall as Jaydens shoulders and all looked like younger versions of him, though two of them were female. The same blond hair and olive skin with the younger boy having matching short spikes like Jayden instead of long braids the girls wore. Jayden crouched and spoke to them all. “Now is that any way to greet Lady Merna?” The girls spun around noticing Merna and the two men for the first time. Almost in unison they bowed low and graceful, “Forgive us Lady Merna! Welcome to Adale Hold.”

“Well met, ladies! All is well, Leia, Dynei. It has been three summers since last we met, how you've grown.” She dismounted and stretched out her hands to them. They both ran and wrapped their arms around her waist. "Oh!" The older girl frowned at glared at Merna as if she was her mother. "Lady Merna! You should not be walking in this state! Jayden how dare you let her travel like this!" the younger Dynei hissed and clicked her tongue at him and they both guided her to the main house.

Jayden was left standing there holding his younger brother."Is Lady Merna not well, brother?"

"She has worn herself out, it has nothing to do with me at all."

"But you always say that," he noticed the men for the first time himself and shrank in his brothers arms, remembering his comment from a moment ago. "Who are they?" he whispered to Jayden, but it was audible to them all.

"They are my guest, Keiden, treat them well will you?" Kieden slid down from his arms and stood before the two men. With his best noble voice he spoke and bowed deeply. "Welcome to Adale house, guests of Jayden." he spoke with a seriousness so unnatural to his young face it was comical.

"Jayden." Both sons turned and bowed at the voice of their father. Neither knew how long the Hold Elder had been standing there.

He was tall for a heedrin and his presence always made Jayden feel vulnerable. His blond hair was pulled back at the nape of his neck and flowed down to his waist. "You have word of your sister no doubt? Bring your guests into the main hall, you shall eat and rest first, then we talk." After casting a careful eye over the humans, he did little more than nod to every one before retreating into the building. He paused and turned again, "You can first explain to me how Lady Merna's condition came to be so server."

"Yes, father." Jayden had yet to rise from his bow so his frown was not visible. "This way please, Gil, Tom." he whispered to them in a low voice, "Sorry we did not have much time to speak of formalities before now but the most important thing is to remember is to wait to be acknowledged before you speak. Kieden keep up!"

"Coming."

"You can rest in the guest room, and we talk some before we go to sit with my father. Hopefully Merna will be rested enough to join us if only for a short time." He led them through a series of doorways and rooms as he talked, Kieden trailing along the whole time. Jayden brought them to a long room that was large enough for several beds and a central table. A large fire place took up the entire wall on one side of the room and in front of this a smaller table with benches.
"Wait here and I can bring you something to eat, it will be late afternoon before we can sit with Father." he left hurriedly left the room not realizing Kieden had followed them in and sat on the bench staring at both men.

They were just getting settled when Jayden shouted "To Adale Hold!" and the horses were off like arrows flying from bows. Gil found himself hard-pressed to clutch at Bryn's mane and just hang on to keep from being thrown clear, but Greycloak adjusted almost instantly, tightening his knees and leaning low over Ressa's neck as she surged ahead.

Their speed was blistering and their course bewildering. Gil gave up trying to follow their course and just hung on for dear life, while Greycloak was enjoying himself immensely, leaning into the wind of their passage, moving with his mount, trying to perceive their path as she did, and marveling when she saw the clear route before he did.

All too soon, they found themselves breaking into the clear, with the lake to one side, and the heedrin settlement ahead. As the gates opened, the humans nodded to Merna and stayed on their horses, but watched with curiosity as the children came running out. This was a side of Jayden they hadn't had the opportunity to see as yet, and it was... touching, actually Gil was reminded of his own nieces and nephews, and shook his head at how similar the two peoples could be, despite their differences. When Merna dismounted, so did they, and they stood near their horses, unsure of what to do, but remained patient.

When Kieden noticed them, Gil tried to smile without showing his teeth, afraid it would seem somehow aggressive to a child unused to dealing with humans. Greycloak was already half-smiling in that ever-amused expression that seemed to be his normal look. When the boy addressed them, Gil had time to bow and say softly, "Thank you, and well-met, good sir Kieden," before Venrick appeared and drew everyone's attention.

The humans followed the conversation and then followed Jayden as he led the way into the compound and into a building. They kept their eyes open and their mouths shut the whole time, listening to the heedrin tell them how it was going to be. The entire structure was built to heedrin dimensions, which means they could traverse the halls and fit through the doors, but only barely. It was an odd feeling to be the tallest people around, for a change.

In the room where they were to rest, the two men sat down on two of the beds that looked sturdy enough. It didn't matter if they were a little small; both of them had slept in conditions and locations much more uncomfortable than anything in this room. They nodded as Jayden bustled about, and as he left, Greycloak groaned and stretched, his hands at the small of his back, trying to pop his spine back into place. Gil just rubbed his neck... and then they both froze, as they simultaneously noticed Kieden staring at them.

They glanced at each other, and finally Gil said. "Hello. Are we the first humans you've had a chance to look at close-up?"

"I have seen humans before, but you are right, not this close. This winter will be my seventh and I have only been outside the village once." He came around the table and stood in between the two men, eyes searching both of them in turn. "You are not the ones who took Stacia. I have seen the bluestone in my dreams it feeds on death. I knew Jayden wouldn't return with Stacia, her soul is too far away now, even I can't see her anymore. Don't touch the stone, don't even look at it too long." he would have said more but the door opened.

"Kieden! There you are. You shouldn't be here." Dynei entered the room holding a tray, piled high with food. Jayden followed her carrying another large tray.

Kieden took a handful of grapes from one of the trays before his sister shooed him to the door closing it firmly behind her.

"My sisters have outdone themselves, they firmly believe all human males eat the same amount as a small heedrin family. Please eat your fill and rest." he grabbed a roll from a tray and sat on the bench. "I assume Kiedren had many questions for you, at that age they are not much different from human children. He is an exception in many ways one of them being born with the gift of soulsight almost as strong as Merna."

Kieden's pronouncement was vaguely alarming to both of the men; they met each other's eyes from each side of the heedrin boy, and the concern was plain on each of their faces. Gil opened his mouth to ask more of the child's visions when the door opened and the girl Dynei entered.

Gil and Greycloak made thankful noises after her as she left, not really having the chance to speak as everybody seemed all a-bustle, and it was getting hard to keep up. Finally, though they had a chance to take some food and drink and but down their burdens of action and just rest.

"Your sisters may have overestimated, but I bless them for it," Greycloak murmured, helping himself from one of the trays and sitting nearby. Gil also sat, close to Jayden.

"Kiedren actually didn't have many questions at all. He mostly had pronouncements. Apparently, he's been dreaming of the bluestone, and warned us not to touch it, or even look at it too long. This soulsight... both you and Lady Merna speak of it, and we humans are unfamiliar with it, as a rule. Does it grant visions of the future?"

"Soulsight is a gift that varies among heedrin, and having the ability is seen as a merit of honor. Kieden can see soul light and see visions of the future and even past, that involve that person. He is young so he is just learning these are more than dreams."

"I have limited soulsight abilities and can sense presence and anticipate movements. When fighting it is quite beneficial to be able to guess the next move of your opponent. But Merna," he paused not sure how to explain her talent."

"Merna can do all that, and even some I don't know about, you may have to ask her yourself. I do know she tracked down that grove you were in by talking with the trees and animals and then hunting down a gathering of souls. Leaving her own soul 'open' like that drained her very near the point of death. She did not expect to find that many soulless bodies. The presence of the so many dead heedrin and that foul stone, well, even I felt that."

Gil bowed his head. "I grieve for the loss of your people." He and Greycloak were silent a few moments out of respect.

Then Greycloak piped up with a thoughtful voice. "Still... that soulsight seems bloody useful. Kieden must be a special young man to have such power with it already, and Lady Merna..."

Gil spoke up. "Lady Merna said some things to me today that I didn't understand. I suppose she was talking about her soulsight." He had to stifle a yawn, in part because he was still chewing. The food was excellent, but his weariness was overtaking him, now that he was in a place he felt comfortable and able to let his guard down. "Is Merna resting comfortably? We owe her greatly."

Greycloak rose, an apple in his hand, and started prepping two of the bunks while Gil and Jayden spoke quietly.

"I must admit," Gil continued, "I'm not sure how to approach this. We can't stop this evil alone, I don't think, but I have no idea what to say to your father about it, or how to fight it when we know what to do. It's... not a comfortable sensation."

Jayden simply nodded his thanks to their condolences, there was not much he could say about it, his sister being one of them.

"Kieden is special but such a gift is a burden on one so young. He bares it well though, he's more like father than I am." he stood and paced between bench and fireplace, thinking carefully on his words. "Merna is resting well, my sisters are with her making sure of it. And I'm sure she would tell you, you owe her nothing, she's like that."

"My father is not one to act in haste but he has been going over this since Stacia first disappeared. I think if we present what we know to him he will help us. Even without the approval of Elder Law, it only takes the word of an up standing heedrin to..pass on information and many need to be warned. What each Hold and village chooses to do with that is at their discretion."

"As far as the bluestone is concerned, we will just have to wait on what Merna has to say on it, she will be there this afternoon I'm sure of it. For now you will have to excuse me, my thoughts are not as they should be so I'll leave you to rest now. Be well, friends." he hoped they knew how hard it was for him to even say it, but the humans had made quite an impression on him so far and he could not deny it.

He left the room promising to wake them when the meeting was called.

Gil nodded as Jayden laid out what was likely to happen. "Perhaps you should have Merna speak to Kieden about it; if his dreams are at all accurate, they could be clues she could put together."

When Jayden called them "friends" Gill couldn't keep his eyebrows from quirking up in surprise, especially considering how heatedly he'd spoken of humans before. Gil couldn't very well comment, though, so as Jayden went to take his leave, he stood and placed his right hand, his sword hand, over his heart and bowed to the heedrin man.

Once they were alone, Greycloak said quietly, "That was a very formal bow."

Gil grabbed a couple of handfuls of nuts. "It seemed a formal moment, or at least something worthy of acknowledging."

"The traditional salute to an honored fellow warrior?"

"Are you saying he doesn't qualify?"

"Of course he does. I'm just impressed that you offered him that mark of respect, even if he doesn't realize it."

Gil reclined on the bed Greycloak had prepared. "Well, he gave us respect in kind."

"I noticed." Greycloak finished with the other bed, and crossed back to the platters. "I suppose it'll be yet another chapter for the memoirs, your time spent with the heedrin, learning their mysterious ways. Perhaps not the page-turner as your evening with the Spider Queen, but..." He glanced over, and saw that Gil was asleep.

Sighing, he put down his food and went over and flipped the thin but warm blanket over the other man. He didn't actually tuck it in, but he paused, looking, as if he was considering it. Then he shrugged and went back to finish his dinner before he, too, turned in.

The dream repeated itself. She knew better to call it that but habits were hard to break.

Once again she felt the pain of each heedrin as their life was drained from their bodies. Tortured confused souls screamed, the painful shrieking more severe than the actual death. Merna watched unable to help, unable to comfort them. Her eyes met with Stacia's the young girls face was different from the rest. She was aware of what was about to happen. She nodded a sad, knowing smile graced her beautiful face.

Merna sat up nearly knocking young Dynei from the bed. "Merna?" she rubbed her eyes. "What is it?"

"Nothing." Merna slipped from the bed walking to a window. She closed her eyes allowing the sun to warm her face. Nothing could erase the vision from her mind but she knew it would fade with time.

The girls provided her with robes to change into. Her cloak and traveling attire was not appropriate for a lady of her rank to sit with a Hold Elder. Donning a gown of lavender hues and a darker shade as a robe over it she set off to find Jayden, Gil and Tom.

She met Jayden in the hall. "I trust you slept well." he bowed. He had also changed from traveling gear into tunic and breeches in shades of dark green.

"As well as can be expected. Gil and Tom are still sleeping?"

"I assume so, I was about to wake them, I knew you wished to speak before we sit with father." he was tense.

She put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Calm yourself, the worst he can say is no and we both know he won't sit idle when we tell him what is happening. He will help it is only a matter of how much help." they had arrived in front of the guest doorway. Merna paused allowing Jayden to enter first.

They were deep in their much-needed rest, but they were also well-trained warriors with a lifetime of experience. At the noise of the door opening, they roused. Not instantly, given the depth of their exhaustion, but they came to awareness. Had it been an attack, they would have been ready to defend themselves. Thankfully, it was no such thing.

The men rolled out of bed and to their feet with only a little groaning and bleariness. "Jayden, Lady Merna," Gil said in as clear a voice as he could manage. "It's a pleasure to see you. Is it time for our meeting already?"

Greycloak batted him on the arm with the back of his hand. "She wanted to talk with us first."

Gil nodded. "Oh, right, right. Please, my lady, have a seat. Would you care for some fruit? We still have a great deal left over..."

"Actually I'd love some. The rest was good for me but I am still quite hungry. And please, Merna is fine, in front of Venrick I can understand." she smiled as she helped herself to some grapes.

Jayden watched her wondering why she was stalling, it was not like her. She walked to the window took a deep breath and let it out. "I have spoken with Kieden and our visions are the same save one. We both see the past deaths of heedrin and a few humans. We both see fleeting images of the bluestone but one vision. It disturbs me greatly. There is a heedrin that has sided, not necessarily with the corrupt human priest, but with the stone itself."

"But who..?"

"Of that I am not sure. He hides himself well just as the stone does, but that takes much power, to hide from soulseekers. Kieden could not see it and I can only see glimpses. It has to be a heedrin of enormous strength so that narrows it down to a handful of heedrin." she drew closer. "How else would a book that has been hidden for centuries suddenly turn up and in the hands of humans no less?"

"That does make sense. Are you saying the council is.."

"Yes, it is compromised in some way. And it crossed my mind that you should be dead along with your sister." she sat down on the bench.

Jayden sat across from her "We need to find allies without alarming the council. And in turn we need a small force to deal with those that oppose. Who is to say this traitor doesn't already have other heedrin supporting him?"

"For now, yes Jayden, that is where we start. A testimony from a each of us is what Venrick will want to hear. We don't have to request anything specific he will offer what he feels is needed. He is wise, and can come to the same conclusions we have once he knows all the facts... I trust in his help."

Looking at Gil she smiled "I'm sure you have dealt with such situations before. This is new to me."

The men listened closely. When Merna looked to him, Gil nodded. "Secret betrayals, hidden motivations at cross-purposes, backstabbing both figurative and literal... yes, that's about standard for the human noble houses."

"Though to be fair," broke in Greycloak, "ritual sacrifice is not normally part of the repertoire."

Gil shrugged. He didn't put anything past some of the more decadent of his cousins and class. "Very well. We are happy to meet with Venrick with you, and support what you can tell him. I know my cousin is involved in this, at some level, and he was willing to kill us for discovering his involvement with the heedrin murders."

"We'll be happy to follow your lead, and tell Venrick what we can. If there's any way we can help determine who your traitor is, we will. But mostly, I just want a way to stop my cousin, and his killings. Everything else is extra."

"Well then. Shall we go? Venrick, Hold Elder, awaits." Merna's face was expressionless she did not want to sit before Venrick for other reasons, but she knew what must be done.

As they all filed out of the room Jayden turned to Gil and Tom "I have already spoken privately with my father of Stacia's death. He already thought as much but still needed told be told by me."

Winding through the tangle of buildings and covered walkways they arrived at a Venrick's study. It was as large as the guest quarters but instead of beds, it was filled with books. They covered three of the walls and the fourth was dominated by a huge window that gave a fantastic view of Elyroth Lake. Venrick stood near chairs in the center of the room gathered around a low table. His eyes locked on Merna the moment she entered the room.

"You look well, Lady, it was disturbing to see you in such a condition, especially since it has been some time since we last met." though he was Hold Elder, Merna was a scholar and Advisor to the Elder High Council. She out ranked him to some degree. He bowed elegantly taking her hand.

She nodded, "I am well thanks to the attentions of your daughters, they spoil me."

Venrick turned to Jayden still holding onto Merna's hand. "We have much to talk about, let us sit."

Jayden made introductions to his father placing a firm hand on each mans shoulder as he said their names. Venrick reluctantly let go of Merna's hand, to her relief, and greeted the men in turn.

For hours they sat and talked, Jayden spoke first recounting their meeting with the humans and Merna followed with her grim news of a possible traitor and what little she knew of the foul bluestone. She even added Kieden's visions to her story which bothered Venrick. His heart struggled with the burden his youngest son carried. His face changed little by little as more was revealed to him. He turned to the humans. "Your relation was involved in this? Do you have any speculations as to how far into your family this corruption goes?" his voice was firm but not cross, at least not at these humans. Venrick absorbed every fact he could get his hands on before he acted and with a problem of this size each piece of information was vital.

Gil glanced around at the books with interest. He was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to read any of them, but he was fascinated by them. If his life hadn't led him to be a man of action, he would definitely have become a scholar. Greycloak noted them, but didn't pay them much mind; he wasn't too interested in the letters he knew how to read

They greeted Elder Venrick soberly and quietly, not counting his welcome as formal permission to speak or draw attention to themselves. So they sat, feeling oversized in the heedrin-sized chairs.

When Venrick addressed Gil, he straightened. "Collendius Redshield is a cousin of mine, yes, but that's because most noble families in the human lands intermarry. At some level, most of us are cousins. But it's significant that of our cohort, he recruited only the other nobles, and they went along with it. I have no idea how many houses are corrupted; I get the impression it's an individual thing. He commented to me... let me think... he spoke of himself and his compatriots gaining immortality, becoming as gods. I suspect that's not something he'd want everyone to accomplish; you shouldn't have too many gods, the power gets sliced too thinly. So I suspect it's only those nobles who are trusted by the ringleaders, or who are useful in some way, that are recruited."

He straightened, and looked the Elder respectfully in the face. "I can assure you the Darkwood family is not prone to such lust for power. I was always raised to see our position as a stewardship, not a right, which is most likely why Cole got recruited instead of me."

"The whole family is like that," interjected Greycloak, "it's really quite refreshing to see, among humans. It's one reason Darkwood retainers are as loyal as they are." He nodded and leaned back in his chair, indicating his contribution was done.

"Thank you, Mr. Greycloak. I can take no credit for this, it's entirely due to my father, and his parents, and the way they chose to raise their children. Clearly, their enlightened views are not universal. Cole seems to think his grasping for this immortality and power is his right, and the lives of others are unimportant. I wish I could say such an attitude was rare. But it's one thing to have the attitude, it's another to practice it. I would suspect the number of actual participants is very small, perhaps a couple of dozen or so, but they will be able to influence a far greater number of people just through their positions as members of the ruling class, whether through lies or merely instructing their minions. So while the corruption itself may be limited, its effects are widespread.

"Since you are in the company of my son and Lady Merna I have no doubt of your nature, but with all that has unfolded you'll forgive me for implying your family was less than up standing. The question had to be asked. I have had no dealings with humans for years and for this to be brought to me along with the death of my child, it is unsettling, to say the least."

His eyes fell on Merna first then scanned them all ending on his son. "This stone must be found and the book too, but Adale House will not go against Council." Jayden appeared as if he might speak but Merna laid a soft hand on his arm stilling him. "Neither will I stand by and let my daughters death pass unanswered. I will go before Council myself, they cannot deny me audience. You Jayden will accompany Lady Merna and the humans to retrieve the book and speak on my behalf to the humans. This corruption will lead to war if given its head."

"Yes father." Jayden struggled not to say more.

"The heedrin of Lake Elyroth will be made known of these matters and word will spread, I will have someone tasked for that specific thing before the day is done."

He turned to Gil, "I trust your judgment human, the Elders may or may not approve but you have the support of Adale Hold."

"This is good to hear and I thank you Venrick. The bluestone is worthless without the book I hope... but do you know of any way to destroy the stone? Eventually that should be a goal. I can find no history of it save a line or two scattered among a few texts... I have seen it in visions but seeking deeper is frightening. The same thing probably happened to the heedrin I have seen and caused him to turn."

"Since the first time Kiedren mentioned it I have studied from what I could. I don't travel as you do Merna but I have my sources." he waved a hand at the books that lined the room and smiled some. "I believe the humans have only part of the book, there is more. The sacrifices give immortality but each death reveals more and more of the locked passages within the book."

Merna leaned forward surprised at his words, and more surprised there was still a book she hadn't read that had information on the stone. "If you will, I would see this book you speak of that reveals this."

"Yes of course, Lady, but for now we must dine we have spoken well into evening meal and you all still need more rest." He stood and turned to the Gil and Tom. "I would be honored to have you at my right during the meal, I wish to speak with you of your house, and how my son could be a help when addressing your peoples."

The others stood also taking the sign of adjournment of the meeting. Kieden must have been waiting because the door opened and he came bounding in. Without hesitation he walked straight up to Tom. "You will sit at my right, we have much to talk about too." he tried to sound serious like his father, linking his small fingers into Tom's hand he stared at him his eyes demanding a yes.

Merna stifled a laugh "I believe you now have a follower, Tom. Kieden doesn't choose his friends lightly."

When Venrick apologized for the difficult question, Gil nodded. He hadn't taken offense in the least; he understood it was absolutely necessary to ask such questions and consider such answers.

At the invitation, Gil stood and bowed. "I would be honored to sit in such a position of prestige, my lord. And I would be honored to discuss my family. I'm not sure what else need be discussed, but I will be pleased to do so."

And then Kieden came in and focused on Greycloak, to the confusion of the human. He glanced to Merna, "I'm honored, I'm sure." Looking back at Kieden, he nodded solemnly. "That goes for you, too. I would be honored. Though I'm not sure what I can contribute to your discussion, but absolutely. Um... so... save me the place?"

Gil suppressed a chuckle, and tried to keep his face straight. This was typical Tom Greycloak luck, but he was wonderful in dealing with it.

The Adale House grand dinning hall was a mixture of comfort and elegance accented by the natural vines and plants the appeared to grow from the very walls in some places. The central doors opened into a large room, large even by heedrin standards, that held a series of three round tables instead of one long table. Surrounding the tables were benches and stools most hand carved with intricate patterns.

The highest table of the three was where the Hold Elder, the first born and their guests sat. The second was occupied by the other children and possibly guests of theirs and the last table was reserved for the family that came to help serve the meal. Adale House, like most village holds, did not have servants in the true sense of the word, but when a feast was held a village elder and his family was called in to help serve and join in as welcome guests. This was usually a relation or, as in this case,an adviser to the Hold Elder and his family.

Heedrin stood about all around talking and some placing more dishes of food in the center of the tables. None sat until Venrick came in with his guests and sat down. All found their way to a seat, Keiden dragging Tom away from Gil to sit with him at the second table, along with Leia, Dynei and two other heedrin children, all fascinated to be sitting with a human."This way Mr. Greycloak."

Venrick sat with Gil to his right and Jayden on his left and Venrick introduced the heedrin next to Jayden as Faelnir, the armor smith, and next to him Anora his wife. Merna took the seat next to Gil. Once introductions were made the whole room spoke "Well met!" in unison and the feast began. Plates were loaded from the large platters in the center of the table and soon the room was full of conversation.

Venrick spoke to Gil of his family and house, asking questions on family heritage and hierarchy of human nobles. Talk soon turned to fighting and sword skills. "Ah yes, Mr. Darkwood, Faelnir here is our armor smith, he has offered to fit you and Mr. Greycloak with his finest of armors if you will allow him."

"It would be an honor indeed, to form suits for you. It is the least I can contribute." he nodded firmly as he spoke. "I only ask that you soul name one of them Stacia."

Merna touched Gil's arm getting his attention, "Heedrin suits of armor are a living enchantment that molds to the owners shape after a close fitting by an armor mage. They have to be dedicated to a person living or dead and given soul names of those people."

"You choose a name to bring honor to the dead or show your loyalty and admiration to the living." Jayden added. "My armor has my fathers soul name and his armor has the soul name of my late mother Kiedra."

"If you had the sword skills of your father or even your late mother you wouldn't have to rely on your armor so much." Anora piped up with a smile.

"Thank you, Anora you do know how to lift the spirits of your students." Jayden redden at the joking but knew he was not as gifted with a sword as his father, at least not yet.

"If it gives you any comfort, Jayd, your skills are much better than mine." Merna smiled brightly at him and Venrick outright laughed, which pleased Merna. It was the first she heard him laugh since they arrived.

"Merna, you don't even use a sword! You're an archer!"

"Which is the only reason you're better than her." Anora retorted, and they all laughed again.

The human men were amazed at the design of the hall; they had heard tales of such wonders of heedrin architecture, but neither had been able to witness such, and they had previously thought the stories mere fiction. The blending of nature and structure was lovely and looked tricky; Gil, for one, resolved just to enjoy it.

Tom went with his host willingly, and Gil did the same. Gil bowed to the guests at the Elder's table, saying "Well met" with the rest of them, albeit a half-step late. He watched what everyone else did to serve themselves, whether they waited for the Elder, how they passed things around, and then he tried to do the same. The food smelled wonderful, as all the food he'd had in the heedrin hold had. He answered Venrick's questions readily; it wasn't that genealogy and politics were of any particular interest to him, but like all the other nobles in his world, some knowledge was necessary for basic cultural survival. Gil had a cynical view of the whole arrangement; it helped that most of the best people he had known had not a drop of noble blood within their veins. But he was able to discuss things with Venrick ably enough, and he tried not to be too distracted by the quiet and pleasantly-smiling beauty to his right, no moreso than he could politely get away with. The last thing he wanted to do was give offense to these people, and the last of the last people he wanted to offend right now was Merna, not only because he respected her and felt he owed her, but his instinct toward chivalry was kicking in, silly as that may have seemed.

Then Venrick dropped his bomb, and Gil's jaw dropped. Heedrin arms and armor were renowned, not necessarily because of their artistry and superior composition (though the percentage of talented heedrin artisans was much higher than similarly talented humans), but because their peculiar enchantment made what they created unique and powerful. And now he and Greycloak were being offered such wonders freely!

He listened to Faelnir and Merna (ah, so that was part of how they did it!), and nodded. His eyebrow quirked up when Jayden mentioned his armor had a living person's soul name, and then chuckled politely with the good-natured ribbing. He finally spoke up. "If we ever have the chance to spar, Jayden, I'm sure you'll redeem some of your honor. If nothing else, your natural quickness alone ought to put you on a par with my skills."

He glanced over at the second table, and saw that Greycloak was leaning forward over his food, gesturing with both hands and speaking softly. All the younger heedrin were watching and listening with rapt attention as the man wove a tale. From the way he was gesturing as if describing something large, Gil wondered if he was telling the story of the ogres, or maybe the jungle beast, or something entirely different, but whatever the case, he held his audience in the palm of his hand. Gil turned his attention back to his own dinner companions.

"But, if you don't mind my asking," and here he glanced at Merna and then around the rest of the table, "I have to admit, I don't know what a soul name is. I mean, I can guess, based on just the words, but is a soul name something everybody knows? Is it..." and here he had an insight, "Is it something perceptible with soulsight, by any chance?"

"Yes, Mr. Darkwood, only by soulsight can the name be made known. It is a ceremony for all heedrins. It's really a phrase when you translate it from heedrin. For example mine is 'Bearer of wind and light' and Jayden's is Leaf walker' " Merna replied.

"When a heedrin reaches fifteen summers a ceremony is held for them. It is a celebration and coming of age rite. Sometimes there are several participating so it usually becomes quite an event. I shared mine with six others, the soul seekers were quite exhausted after that event."

"That had nothing to do with the soulseekers, Jayd." Leia had come to lean against her fathers chair, standing between him and Jayden. "It was the fault of a certain young man that could not concentrate on his name but instead he concentrated on the souldseeker's..." her sentence was stopped by Jayden's hand over her mouth and the room once again was filled with laughter.

"Oh I remember that! Quite a scandal for the Hold Elder's son." Anora spoke again a playfulness in her smile.

"Don't remind me." even Venrick added to Jayden embarrassment.

"You all are intent on humiliating me aren't you? That was five years ago!"

"And that was also one of Merna's first few ceremonies I do recall." Faelnir spoke to Merna who was glad of the redirection of the conversation.

"Yes my third, actually. And humans have soul names too, they just don't actively seek them as we do. I'd be pleased to perform the ceremony for you and Mr. Greycloak if you would be willing, Mr. Darkwood." again she placed her hand on his arm and spoke so only he could hear. "When not accompanied by the fanfare and feasting it is a simple ceremony to perform. We could do it right here if you like." she was eager herself to know his name, and surprised how curious she was about him.

Gil felt his ears grow hot, knowing they were turning a delicate pink; at least he didn't blush across his whole face. "I-I would... Well, I can't speak for Mr. Greycloak, but I myself am intensely curious," he said in a quiet voice to match hers, while discussion of soulnames and recollection of ceremonies continued around them. "You really can just do it here at the table?"

He was no more prone to having his head turned by a pretty woman than any other young man his age, but Merna was beautiful even by the standards of her beautiful race, and held quite the exotic allure, as well. The fact that she was so close, and her hand was on his arm, metaphorically burning his skin like a brand, made it doubly hard to focus on what he was supposed to be conversing about.

Over at the children's table, Greycloak was moving food around. "So the six of us were these grapes, up here on Bread-loaf Ridge, and we're hiding, as you do when you're lying in wait. I'm sure you've all lain in wait, perhaps when hunting the elusive sweets vendor, yes? In any case, so we're waiting for the bandit carriage to come along, like a plum. Like THIS plum, in fact. Which was, unbeknownst to us, accompanied by these walnut-like outriders, see? Now, as we see this, it's too late for us to warn Mr. Darkwood and the rest of our grape-friends who..." He paused and looked at the diorama. "Wait, weren't there two more grapes there a moment ago?"

Keiden stopped chewing slowly, his eyes widening. Greycloak flung himself back in his chair dramatically, the back of his hand to his forehead. "Oh no! Mr. Blackshadow and Mr. Redshield have been consumed! Oh, heavens!" He leaned back forward. "Well, that changes everything. Clearly we must hold a funeral, do you agree, children?" He looked around the table at the children, eyes wide. "Yes, a grape funeral, I think is in order. So, who should be the pallbearers, hm?"

"As I said it's very simple like reading a page in a book and I have two other soulseekers to help me if need be." she turned to Anora. "Anora would you do me the honors of being my second, Mr. Darkwood here has allowed me to seek his soul name."

"Oh! Of course Lady Merna. I'd be honored!" she lifted up from her seat some and bowed, her face flush with excitement.

"Are you sure that's safe, Merna? Are you rested enough?" Jayden's brow furrowed.

"I'm sure she is well aware of her own strength, son, although I will say I too am concerned. But if you are sure then so be it." He rose from his seat and the room gradually fell silent. "Through our discussions it has come about that Mr. Darkwood, and you too Mr. Greycloak are welcome should you choose, shall have their soul names searched. Lady Merna has offered and Swordmage Anora shall second her."

After the room hushed and seats were arrange to view the honored ceremony, all attention was on Merna and Gil. "All that is required of you is to turn towards me and clear your mind. It will be best if you remain seated, I'll stand here before you. It can drain your strength but since you are not fifteen I don't foresee you losing consciousness." she leaned in and whispered her instructions and then stood, nodding to Anora. She came around the table and stood behind Gil resting her hands on his shoulders.

Merna stepped forward directly in front of Gil, her gown a mere inch from his face. It was evident what a young heedrin would be concentrating on in such a ceremony if his mind was not where it should be. She reached towards him and gently placed her hands on either side of his face. Merna took a deep breath and released, a strange calm falling on the entire room as she opened her own soul allowing it to flow around the trio. Anora instinctively took a deep breath watching Merna with careful eyes.

Kiedens eyes gleamed, he was only one of the handful of people that could see the soft colors, as Merna's soul reached out and called to Gil's. "It's gray." he spoke in an awed whisper. "His soul is a soft gray."

"Shh." Dynei took him in her lap.

The soft gray and the blue of Merna's soul rose up and met in the air around them. His almost bowing to hers. It all ended as quickly as it begun and Merna opened her eyes glancing down at Gil. "It is as I thought." her words were barley audible to Gil and a smile spread across her face. She still stood close and with one hand on his face still she turned to the room. "I present to you, Gilgamesh Darkwood, Wolfguard Keeper of Peace."

After a pause everyone in the room stood and bowed to Gil, much to his amazement. Anora still behind him spoke first, "An honor indeed it was to be a part of this." and she too bowed to him. Merna made her way over to Greycloak.

"Will you too grant me the privilege to read your soul name." she bowed.

Gil began to look alarmed as Merna began to address the assemblage. From the way she'd spoken, he had gotten the impression she could do it discretely. His look of mild panic began to grow as people started to move around, and his ears got redder and redder as the whole room began to pay attention. He fidgeted nervously in his seat while Merna went through the announcements and explanations.

Greycloak had to pause in his re-enactment of a spoon curate saying a silly benediction over a grape-stem empty of fruit to look around in confusion, and then, when addressed, he blinked in surprise. He recovered enough to bow his head graciously, but remained utterly mystified at what had led to this, or even what a soul name was.

Gil nodded at the instructions, and tried to focus. When Merna stepped close, he suddenly understood why Jayden would have had trouble with his own concentration during the ceremony. He blinked, and tried not to stare. He closed his eyes, but that just made her wonderful scent all the more noticeable. Instead, he tried to think about... well, his life. He thought of all his memories, all his experiences, and kind of made a little mental ball of it, and just tried to hold that concept in his mind. Then he let it go, let it flow away and tried to think of clear, still water, or nothing. Anything to distract himself from what he kind of wanted to be thinking about.

He felt... well, he wasn't sure what he felt. There was a tingling, but he couldn't place where it was coming from. There was something happening but he couldn't identify it. He kept his eyes closed, and he felt completely extraordinary.

Greycloak could sense there was something happening, something strange and possibly wondrous, but he simply wasn't equipped to perceive it. He kept quiet, and tried to get some idea of events from the people around him. When Kieden whispered about Gil's soul, Greycloak's brow furrowed. "Is... is that good?" he whispered back, his eyes locked on his friend.

When the feeling went away, Gil felt somehow exhausted and yet simultaneously energized. When Merna whispered to him, he opened his eyes and glanced up at her, questioning and surprised, but smiling at her smile. Then she announced his name to the room, and he was amazed. He had hardly a chance to absorb the name before everyone stood and bowed. He had no idea why, nor why it seemed such an honor to everyone. He thought he was doing decently just sitting there and looking humbly appreciative.

Wolfguard Keeper of Peace. Somehow, that felt right, in a very basic, primal way. He never would have come up with the name himself, never would have put those words together, but when Merna said them, they fit. Is that what a soul name was about?

When Merna approached, Greycloak had a nervous urge to back up, which was impossible in his chair. He merely cleared his throat anxiously. At her kind words, he took a deep breath. "My lady," he said, bowing forward in his chair as deeply as he could. "I am honored by the offer. I wouldn't want to impose on your time, though..."

"Tom..." Gil said softly. "It's all right." He straightened a bit, and spoke with a bit more clarity. "I believe you would find it most interesting, Mr. Greycloak. I highly recommend the experience."

Greycloak nodded, smiling slightly. "Well, with a recommendation like that, I can hardly refuse, can I?" He straightened and settled himself in his chair, before glancing up into Merna's face and whispering, "Is there anything special I ought to do?"

"Nothing special is required of you, Tom." she spoke softly to him. For her, the soulseeker, it was very a pleasurable experience, especially since both Gil and Tom had given her brief glimpses of there souls already. Only those of the baser sort felt the need to hide an block, so to a trained eye,even without opening, signs of a corrupt soul were easily spotted.

Again, just as with Gil, Merna and Anora took there places, but were interrupted by Kieden. "Lady Merna? May I second if it pleases father of course." he was standing in his seat beside Tom looking back at his father for approval.

Kieden! You've no.." Leia spoke but stopped upon locking eyes with her father, in her haste she had spoken in his stead. She lowered her head. "Sorry ,father."

"It is fine ,Leia and it is fine for you too, Kieden. I grant you allowance to second." he smiled. Venrick couldn't resist his youngest son's eager face and he knew Kieden had the ability. Though he could not perform the search, as he was not of age, supporting Merna was within his abilities and it was obvious he was becoming attached to Tom.

Dynei helped Kieden move his stool behind Tom, and he placed his tiny hands on his shoulders. Kieden still had to lean over in order to nod to Merna so she could begin. She winked at him and stepped close to Tom.

"Just breathe deep and calm yourself." she began again, the same deep breath and opening of her own soul. Her soft blue met his gray and brown, his swelling and filling the room almost. Merna smiled, her head tilted back, eyes closed a low giggle escaped before she was finished.

She looked down long and hard at Tom, "Extraordinary, indeed."

"It was gray and brown! And it was enormous! Ive never seen one that big..and two colors!" he crawled around into his lap grinning at him. "Tell them, Lady, tell them." his excitement overcame his manners but Merna didn't mind.

"I present to you Tommarika Greycloak, Stronghold, Root of the Tree." ahhs of amazement and applause erupted around the room.

After his unprecedented experience (his felt to him more like a mild burning sensation, like a hot sunbeam, rather than a tingling), Greycloak was left gasping a bit, not out of actual exertion but out of the odd sensation of having exerted himself. Then Kieden excitedly climbed around him, and he balanced the boy on one leg, still recovering.

Stronghold, Root of the Tree. As Gil had realized, it felt right. In a metaphorical sense, it was rather how he'd always thought of his role, anyway; it was reassuring to find out the path he'd ended up choosing for himself was supported by the inclinations of his own soul, if he could surmise what a soul name meant.

Gil had found his feet and come over to the second table to shake his friend's hand, which he did as soon as he had room. The silence of the room was dissolving into an excited hubub as the heedrin remarked to each other on the unusual soulseekings they'd witnessed, and the unusual souls they'd discovered. Greycloak said softly, "You know, when I was talking about you learning the mysterious ways of the heedrin, I was rather joking." Greycloak then pulled the handshake to draw Gil a bit closer, and asked in a quieter voice (which was probably still quite audible to the nearby heedrin), "Do you think if I mention my soul is not the only thing that's large, I might get some affectionate attention?"

Gill shook his head, and responded just as quietly, "If you do that, I'll start saying it's not the only thing that's multicolored, as well." He winked and patted Greycloak's shoulder before disengaging. Greycloak shrugged in a "it was worth a try" sort of way, and smiled fondly at Kieden. "Oh, and I should tell you, we are to be fitted with armor."

Greycloak's brows shot up. "Heedrin armor? Oh... my..."

"Indeed," Gil nodded. "So try not to get us run out of town, will you?" He chuckled and turned to Merna as most of the room got back to dinner, for the most part (some were waiting before they offered congratulations and so forth). "If you don't mind my asking, what do the colors mean? And why was everybody so impressed? I mean, I understand why the size of Mr. Greycloak's soul would surprise people not familiar with the size of his heart, but we don't understand any of the rest of it."

Merna leaned towards Gil "That is a simple thing really." She glanced around first then motioned towards an open door that lead to a covered walkway. "Come, mind taking a walk with me I need to clear my head some after all that. I'd be glad to explain it to you." she linked her arm in his and gazed at him smiling warmly. "Unless you are not yet full."

Most were busy chatting about the recent events but Jayden noticed Merna speaking quietly with Gil. He was well aware of her needing to clear her head but it irked him that she was about to walk out with him, her arm linked in Gil's even. He hid his agitation and turned to Anora, who was once again taunting him about some sword play mishap.

Back
Top Bottom