Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

They wait in the darkness (HoW X DaddiesLilMonster88)

Harem of Whispers

Planetoid
The city was never a safe place, but to those who knew of only the human dangers many felt safe where they were indeed most vulnerable. When people slept at home safe in the dark ignoring the creaks of the home, the sound of a window sliding, and even breathing so close it could be felt. John knew he should be dead by now he had seen the creatures that hide in the dreams of every child. They came for him in increasing numbers each waiting for the chance to take him to that dark place that no light could penetrate. Though oddly each, and every one seemed to follow rules. Knowing the rules you could avoid most. While the others could be killed with a quick swing to the weak spot they had. John knew them now he could protect himself, and while drawing them to himself he saved one more life. That was all he could do he knew, but each lost sign or community warning was like a knife to his back a reminder that it would never be enough.

The mid day was smothered in the overcast droplets of rain falling from the sky causing few people on the street. This was the only time John felt safe on the streets when people did not crowd around him his walk was short though his appearance kept most back from him. His shoes covered in dust though still in good repair dusty jeans that were wel worn though not torn. His black shirt lighter on some points looking like a man pushed around on freshly sanded walls. His face was rugged his scruffy stubble was apparent despite it was clear he did shafe from time to time. Short black hair messed about his head pressed to one side where he had clearly being laying on it. Dark green eyes that gave him a very piercing gaze. Standing at 6'3 with a strong fighter built body made him someone most chose to avoid him. Grabbing some canned food, razors, and small needs he paid the man heading back to the abandon home he claimed as his in the area.

He ignored the looks strangers gave him, and tried his best to forget the averted eyes the rest showed just to not look at him. Anyone who spoke to him got his mutterings or monsters, and warnings that came from him being so isolated for so long. He walked through the broken door with ease the building he stayed at for now had been condemned for months now he was known to go from building to building despite seemingly having all the money needed to support himself. The inside was safe enough by his reguard he moved boards to support walk ways two bedrooms, the living area burned no longer fit for someone to stay in. The rooms were fairly clean with blankets, even a flat mat for some basic comfort to sleep on. A small back pack in case he would have to leave with no notice. Simple enough of a life to live waiting for the night to fall where they came for him.

Annabelle was real! She knew it! It had always been a fear that the crazy man was always telling the truth but no one cared. People put up posters like that to make fun of him. She tore down the Annabelle poster and marched right to the instigator's house. " I knew you would do this again! Why can't you just leave him alone? Isn't it bad enough he is crazy and lived in that run down place?" He shoved her out his door saying she was a fool for defending that creep. He told her she would pay because of this embarrassment. She fell to the ground and the door slammed behind her. Her heeled boots made her ankle twist and she found it a struggle trying to get up. She was small, maybe 5 foot even, and despite her full bust and hips she still was petite in size.

Her long red waves fell about her waist in a beautiful way but as she was on the ground the oils on the damp street stained her hair. Her beautiful form was hidden only by a soft cotton dress which left her knees exposed to be cut by the street she was thrown to. She struggled to get to her feet, tears falling down her cheeks. As if everyone secretly knew of the dangers in the night no one was around and lights all seemed to go out at the same time leaving her to the night. The shadows always seemed to reach for her and anxiety gripped her. Tragedy would befall her and she knew the man who threw her to the night was well aware of what he had done.

In a panic she started unzipping her boots. She fought to get to her feet and limped to the closest place she would be able to hide in. The looming condemed house was her only real choice, she would never admit it out loud but she knew he was telling the truth. When she was a little girl she had been attacked by something in the night. It had inhuman eyes and a grin that curled in a way which was so cruel she could only think one name, demon... No one else thought he was right but she had a sinking feeling in her stomach that he was.

She knocked on the door, "Excuse me, may I please come in? I fell and I am hurt." She bit her lip unsure if he would answer her or tell her yes. But she could feel it, the night creeping in on her and she fought so hard not to scream as she felt breath at the back of her neck.

John had listened to the struggle, he was not to far away. He did not mind people thinking he was crazy he had painted a target on his back to save these fools. However he was not the kind of person who needed praise for his actions. Though when she knocked on the door his movement was quick as he moved through the house the door pulled back as he stared at her his eyes darting around as if looking for something though when it did not appear his eyes darted to her. "Knocking... always knocking not safe to answer the knocking..." His eyes were wild his motions were random as he darted a bit. "Heard, ignore them..." Though he paused for a moment his eyes narrowing as he took her face in his strong hand making her gaze up at him, "Eyes not black welcome you are... safety can not be found here..." His voice was sharp not the welcome tone of someone trying to help, but he spoke plain when he let go of her face his eyes fell to her leg. "Listen to words, fear everything?" The last bit was a question however he offered his hand so she could use him to walk to take the weight off her ankle.

"I know you are telling the truth." She said in an almost sob. Her eyes were lit with ear and she took his hand, her hands were small and soft. She limped in wincing a bit here and there, "I am so sorry to bother you." The crumpled paper with the mocking add fell to the floor from her hand and she did not seem to notice. Instead she relied on him to guide her, "Why do you say it is not safe here? What have you been hiding all this time?" She took slow panting breaths trying to balance herself before sliding onto the nearest seat ripping part of her clothing to bind her ankle. Her boots had been left behind and she was focused on her pained leg.

When her eyes lifted to him she realized he was much larger than she expected, "Wow..uh..." Her face turned into a blush and she looked down at the ground, "Thank you for helping me."

John helped her slowly upstairs after slamming the door shut locking it though it would keep people out the creatures that lurked in the nights heeded no door. Walking her upstairs he did take the weight off her body so she could move around easily. His hand was strong with tough skin though he clearly could use finesse as despite holding her hand tight enough to help her with her walking he did not crush her hand either. "Darkness comes, dark ones come here..." His voice was even showing no fear he knew what was coming, and he would deal with it simple once he was gone they would attack others spreading out in a wave like the dark ages they came for him as a sort of game. He moved her to the seat with ease before moving over and sitting on the floor in the room his eyes on her he noticed the blush though would not mention it such things were more dangerous than the creatures that haunted him. "Rest... Danger comes. Must wait for the sun."

"Thank you." Was all she could say. He was willing to protect her from what ever it was that lurked in this town when the sun vanished. Her eyes fluttered and she fell asleep with pain being as strong as it was. The hour of 3 she woke every night and tonight she did so again. She sat up and whimpered a bit in both fear and pain. "Hello?" She called into the blackness. It seemed darker than in her own home and she did not understand how all the darkness was gathered here in this place.

John had felt it, she was asleep she was safe as long as she slept this night it stared at him daring him to open his eyes. The cold sense of being watched a prickling feeling of it being close to him. Warm foul breath in his face as long as he did not open his eyes it would not harm him. Though the desire to do so was great, but then it happened that little hello echoed through his home he could feel the creature's gaze leave him. John moved quick as he ran through where the creature was it was as if air he hit nothing as he moved back to the room he had left her tackling her to the ground strong muscles pulling her body close as he covered her eyes tightly as the feeling returned ten fold. The air like ice despite no actual cold, the desire to just look forward see what it was that was there would be nearly impossible. Heated breath beating on their faces as he held his hand over her face pulling her body to his to hold her still not wanting her to fight with him. "They lurk, and watch they see you, must not see them. Away they take..."

"I don't understand you." She whispered the wind knocked out of her when he tackled. She was gasping and noticed his eyes were shut and she understood. Her eyes clamped shut and she gripped onto him with hot tears in her eyes. Why couldn't she stay asleep?! She felt the breath on them and she wrapped her legs and arms around him as if he was her only strength. She started humming softly a soothing song to calm her nerves. Her nails bit into what ever she could grip and she hummed pressing her face against him. "Please don't let me go." She whispered to him in the darkness. The smell was making her feel sick but she kept swallowing to keep the bile from making its way up. She had never known a fear this deep before.

John did not make a sound his arms tight around her the creature staring for what felt like hours though only minutes had passed. Though the breath as well as the cold feeling lifted he placed his hand on her face calmly. "Do not see..." feeling her wrapped around him he put one hand around her rear to brace her as he moved her to the bed with him. "Greedy they are just do not look safe you will be." He pulled the blanket around them knowing the creature would not be gone till the sun came through. He held her though his arms comforting her as if to say it would be okay trying to lull her back to sleep.

She did fall back asleep in his arms alternating between sweating and shivering through the night. She nuzzled him in her sleep and was deeply asleep before too long. When sunlight broke through she would open her eyes to only shut them fast, "Can I look?" She whispered to him not wanting to put them in danger. Her fingers were kneading his back in a nervous sort of way. "Are they gone? How do you live like this every day alone?" Tears were coming down her eyes, "Am I...did I...I hope this was not my fault."

Hey voice was even as he listened to her. "The danger has passed, you may look." He opened his eyes feeling the sunlight bearing down on them. He had slept for part of the night himself after knowing the creature was harmless as long as you did not look. He had a sixth sense almost instantly knowing what to do for the monsters lurking in the dark. "Every night they test me, not safe with me." He did not sit up just laying with her though he would not admit it not only was it nice to be with another human, plus he found her quite attractive. Though as long as she did not get to close he could keep that quiet for now. "They have taken much in their perversions." He paused for a moment a statement he was not happy about which was plain despite wanting to hide it. "Go home, forget much safer..."

"I will go home...but how could I forget? How could I forget when I have seen then since I was a little girl?" Her brow furrowed and she got up hobbling a bit before heading for the door. She owed him for his protection and she would show her gratitude. She left him that day and by that afternoon she had a basket of food for him. Things that were easy for him to eat without any preparation. Fresh baked muffins and fruit along with hard meats that required no refrigeration. She headed what he said about knocking and instead stepped inside calling for him, "Hello..."She didn't even know his name so isntead she called, "Mr. Protector? I brought you some things." She went to locate the kitchen in the run down building trying her best to not soil her pale blue dress. People watched her as she had walked into his house and whispers began. She left the basket on the counter and left ignoring the onlookers and going back to her home.

John had slept soundly though the day he found sleep was important as sleeping at night was more dangerous till he knew what was coming for him. He found it fortunate that the demons never came together. However so many beings were hard to handle. He heard her open his door to enter listening to her enter his house placing food down. It pained him to let her go though he knew this was for the best as around him only danger followed.

The moment she left he did look through his house so many creatures could have been pretending to be her dangerous that was. He saw the basket she left that was a kind gesture he though he smiled lightly sitting down to eat more than he normally would have so they would not go stale. He sighed in both a resigned, and contented way hoping the next few nights would be easy.

She repeated to bring him food collecting the basket as soon as the sun rose each day and bringing the basket just before dusk. People still whispered, some praising her for kindness and others claiming she had made a pact with the beast man and it was her he was ravishing not the goods she brought him. No one even knew her name in this town. She had been orphaned when she was little and ended up back here in the house that was willed to her. The house where the darkness had taken her loved ones. She fixed dinner for herself, a lonely stuffed pepper, and sat to read a book as she ate. It was night and she had felt safe in her home for the most part. She knew better than to question who was on the steps or go to the basement door when she thought she heard her dead mother calling.

She also knew better than to sleep in the dark. So she turned on every light in the house every night before bed, the opposite of everyone else in the town. But she has seen when she was a little girl what hides in the shadows. She was almost convinced she was crazy and just had an over active imagination but the flash backs to that night in his house left chills up her spine. The rank smell of that beasts breath...just the thought had her wrapping up her half of pepper and going up to her room to get into her warm bed.

The soft tapping on the window began as she laid in her bed. The soft rapping getting steadily louder as the voice whispered from the nearest mirror, "Little girl, can you hear me?" His voice was soft, and inviting someone who did not know of the creatures in the dark would feel a tug to do as the smiling man in the mirror asked tapping on the glass, and glass or mirror surface were giving off a tapping sound though his face was only ever in the mirror closest to her. He looked friendly, and happy as if an old friend his voice so soft he could not mean any harm, "Please break the mirror, let me come see you. I have such wonders for you!."

John was uneasy this night as the knocking began on his door he knew death came to anyone who answered that door the hideous creature on the other side with his best friends voice. It wanted his voice it knocked which last time this happened it was here to keep him inside he stared at the door fearful of what was to happen. It had given up on him he would never open that door. Unless something else was hunting that nice girl. He stared at the door it followed it's rules however it could not be fought against that door opening it was to invite one's own death.

She held very still knowing that this was not a friend. One night with him had taught her that. This mirror friend was not something she wanted to break out she knew that much. Pulling up her phone she started searching for some kind answer, how to make it go away. She had no idea what the thing was. She read something about what Bloody Mary really was and she wondered if they were the same thing...no they couldn't be. That would only be solved by breaking the mirror. But this was asking her to break it. Searching and searching but she had no idea what she was looking for and it's voice was lulling her. She tried to rise from the bed but fear had her frozen. Not looking at it she whispered to herself, "Please protector...I don't know what to do!" She said it over and over again as if somehow he could hear her. In her mind she focused on him as if that would do anything. Her eyes shut tightly and she kept whispering about the protector.

Her mind went to the warmth and strength in his arms. Where she had been in the belly of the beast but he knew what to do. He had known what was best. But where was he now? She had been forced away from him aside from the baskets she left and now perhaps she had caught something's eye.

The knocking continued for John as he stared at the door before he shook his head before climbing out a nearby window not knowing what would happen even as he saw the pale deformed creature at the door the same twisted human abomination he would have seen looking through the peep hole turning his head to look back it was gone. He climbed off the landing onto the street every door he passed the knocking returned asking he let the creature in to him. He would be fine for now, but getting to where she lived he felt somewhat safe as long as the creature followed it would keep anything else away. It would be a little time before he got to her house despite knowing it was not all that far. He ignored the looks he was given people knowing her house, and many looking to the doors hearing the knocks, but not the voice coming from the creature few the people on the street were.

The tapping was louder as any glass or mirrored surface would seem to crack large fissures in the surface that if touched would feel smooth. The voice no longer friendly a threatening boom, "If I have to let myself in I will not be so kind my dear I will bring you to my world piece by piece!" The smile no longer friendly with the tapping like a downpour of rain meant to pierce deep inside of her psyke what to do may have been eluding her yet this creature seemed more desperate for her to break something glass his voice a shrill roar.

She got out of the bed covering her ears and suddenly got the strength to run. She lept from the bed in only a pair of black lace cheekies and a long buttoned shirt that was once her father's. Her feet pounded down the steps and despite her injury her adrenaline was spiked. She had to get out. She could not get the door to open and she was crying. The creature was in every reflection. every little shard of glass was screaming at her threatening her safety. Threatening her very existence. "Please, protector!" She cried trying desperately to the door seeing the face in front of her in the different pains of glass. It felt like her ears were bleeding and she fell to the ground sobbing. She felt sick to her stomach. The sound of all the screaming had her on the verge of throwing up. "Please." She was losing her breath and rocking on her knees.

When he got to her home the tapping could be heard however due to the creature in her home the creature haunting him backed off. Her door did not give off the knocking as he forced the door open pausing for a moment half expecting that thing to take him only to hear the tapping sound his sigh of relief came strong as he entered her house had she broken anything the tapping would be gone, and so would she. He ignored the loud tapping before he moved to her side placing his hand against her in an almost tender way. "Sorry I think I brought this down on your home." His somber voice seemed to dull the tapping or the creature just relented some at the presence of another. "We need to go to the bathroom this was is easy to banish." Once he took her to the window in the bathroom the man looked angry his finger creating what looked like cracks though it did not effect the reflection. "Simply apologize for your rudeness, and ask him to leave your not interested in his gift." John remained calm, and was careful to leave all the doors open knowing when this creature was gone his would come to hound them though the night powerless as it would be if they did not open the door.

She stuttered at first she managed to sputter out the words, "I am sorry, but no thank you. I do not want your gift." She clung to this mountain of a man hoping he was correct. She was afraid and prayed over and over again in her mind that he knew what he was doing. Once the creature had left them be she looked up at him, "How did you know to come? How did you know I needed you?" She hugged him with all of her might tears in her eyes, "Thank you. You saved me again, what a burden you must feel from me. I am so sorry!" She started to cry and whimper her remorse for causing him all this trouble before she wandered into the kitchen for a warm drink trying to sooth her chilled heart. "Do you want a cup of tea?"

John smiled though it weakened as the door began to give off the gentle knocking, a soft voice his sister's voice, "Please let me in it is cold, and I am hurt... Please let me in." John nodded slowly, "Please tea would be nice do not close any doors, and do not open any that knocks for the creature that lurks behind will steal your voice. Then eat anything else..." He looked toward the front door feeling the tear fall down his cheek as he tried to ignore how it felt to hear that voice. He was happy to find that she was okay, but the demons were not going to stop they would keep coming so running from her was just as dangerous. Cabinets as well as the fridge would be safe, but any door even a curtain if they put it up could lure that beast closer.

She saw his tear and reached as if almost out of nature to whisk it away, "What is your name? I am Beth." She put the kettle on to boil and made a point to keep the discussion light despite what they had been through. "I know that run down house is your home but...if it isn't much to ask..will you please stay with me tonight?" She had her back to him now and her hand was trembling as she reached for the mugs. The kettle started whistling and she nearly dropped them.

"Honey or sugar?" She asked simple questions as her hands shook horribly. She dropped the bad of earl grey tea three different times before she settled herself enough to even think of lifting the boiling lettle. "My mother gave me this kettle. It is a bit old but I love that it looks like an apple." She showed him with a forced smile as it was the only thing she had left of her mother in truth. She lost the rest in a fire the night they died.

"Cream?" She hesitated at the refrigerator as if to double check that she can open it.

John sat slowly listening to the knocking the small voice in the back of his head always there whispering very softly beconing him to just embrace it to open the door, and let it wish him away to some shadowy place where the torments would end. Some days the darkness would feel most welcome. "My name is John, names are dangerous they call you with sweet words." The tea brought a weak smile to his lips as he looked at her for a moment his eyes not darting as he spoke softly, "No tea off the kettle will be fine."

The fridge was safe, and he nodded to her as much knowing it was fine, "Entry ways must be guarded it can only enter with the symbol it may only take you if you welcome it in." John looked at the kettle he could see it meant a lot to her as he slowly shook his head, "Items you care for are dangerous they make you look... make you search so they may stalk you." He looked at her with genuine sorrow as he knew she was going to be stalked just as he was. All because she got close to him for one day, and now she was going to be haunted as he was.

Back
Top Bottom