Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why do we still get notifications when ignored people post on our threads?

Blinking Blue

Planetoid
It seems like letting people who are being ignored see threads/post on the threads kind of defeats the purpose. If I don't want somebody to be messaging me, it seems like it's pointless to even block them in the first place if they can just be posting on my thread. It only cuts out one way that they can poke at people.

I don't think I've ever seen a forum where ignoring someone would hide your posts from them. If the person is using this channel to attack you, take it to a mod. If you just can't handle knowing they exist/them knowing you exist... Well...

Blinking Blue said:
Malfrost said:
Hey! I'm guessing you don't want to rp with me? Cause I can't send you PM's anymore :/

Sorry, I don't think we click as writers.

Actually, it seems like this person just wasn't aware that the rp was being canceled, so, no not attacking and not worth reporting to a mod.

It is generally good form to just let people know right away when things aren't working out, that way, if they continue to bother you, then it might qualify as harassment and the mods can actually do something about it. If you want to just break away from someone and not ever hear from them again, the easiest way is to just be brutally honest. There is a small part of the community that will continue to chase someone that doesn't want to rp with them but for the most part, people won't waste their time once you end things directly. There is actually a much larger part of the community of people who will pursue a partner who goes suddenly silent to alleviate their ignorance on "wtf happened?" So, out of the two options, confrontation is probably the most convenient and less troublesome method of ending an rp. These are just some options, within your power, to deescalate this type of situation.

Rudolph Quin said:
Blinking Blue said:
Malfrost said:
Hey! I'm guessing you don't want to rp with me? Cause I can't send you PM's anymore :/

Sorry, I don't think we click as writers.

Actually, it seems like this person just wasn't aware that the rp was being canceled, so, no not attacking and not worth reporting to a mod.

It is generally good form to just let people know right away when things aren't working out, that way, if they continue to bother you, then it might qualify as harassment and the mods can actually do something about it. If you want to just break away from someone and not ever hear from them again, the easiest way is to just be brutally honest. There is a small part of the community that will continue to chase someone that doesn't want to rp with them but for the most part, people won't waste their time once you end things directly. There is actually a much larger part of the community of people who will pursue a partner who goes suddenly silent to alleviate their ignorance on "wtf happened?" So, out of the two options, confrontation is probably the most convenient and less troublesome method of ending an rp. These are just some options, within your power, to deescalate this type of situation.

It definitely wasn't an attack!
I was just being curious about this.

I had told them, but it may have gotten missed. The block came because we've had like four fail due to lack of clicking and he never seemed to remember and just kept messaging me again later for a different roleplay, and then getting all... poke-y if I was online and not responding.

Thanks for giving me advice, I will definitely work on making sure I leave the part where I don't think someone and I are getting along nice and by itself so it doesn't get caught up in other things when I message them.

I can try looking into this for Elkarte, but it expands the cost of sending out notifications by some orders of magnitude, and it's already a rather nontrivial operation.

Vekseid said:
I can try looking into this for Elkarte, but it expands the cost of sending out notifications by some orders of magnitude, and it's already a rather nontrivial operation.

Oh!
No, unless it becomes an actual issue for other people, I don't think it's the sort of thing that needs to get fixed. I was just curious about it because I didn't understand and was wondering about it.

Back
Top Bottom