Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Varena Eberhart vs. The World (Decepticonsneedlovetoo x Atroxa)

Decepticonsneedlovetoo

Space Pirate
"I'm afraid this mission will hardly scratch the surface of your talents, my child, yet it must be done."

The voice, though wilted with age, still held a authoritative resonance, and in the dimly lit room, swirling with galaxies of dust, it was as if it were decreed by the Lord Himself. Its source stood proud, facing away from three, kneeling figures. A tall man, standing straight in defiance of the weight of time, he stared sightlessly at the image before him: A stained-glass window. The craft had been lost to the test of time, and yet the piece still remained intact, a painstakingly rendered image of an angelic battle against evil, frozen in time. Multicolored light dappled his face, cast by the setting sun, and though he could feel its warmth on the creases of his age, he had long since lost the ability to witness it, eyes, milky white, staring at only the void.

"Of course you know of Minotaurs. The stories that prevailed in an era, long since passed, of a darker, more ignorant time. Unfortunately, your foe will not be so easy to dismiss. It calls itself "Ironhoof", the brutes aren't exactly ones for subtlety, and in two days time, the anniversary of its crude existence will be upon us."

The disgust on the priests voice was palpable, as if merely speaking of such an abomination was enough to taint his words, and his ancient hand tightened on the head of his cane, a pearlescent rod etched with numerous verses of the Old Testament, slightly yellowed with time.

"That shall be plenty opportunity to eliminate such a loathsome beast. Go now."

Flanking Varena Eberhart were two younger priests, both with heads bowed low, and, when dismissed, they stood promptly. On the left was a young man, with barely twenty years at his back. His dark complexion made him stand out amongst the primarily white priests of the temple, few as they were, but despite his age he had an almost prodigal tactical sense. As such, he was one of the closest advisers a hunter could have, whether it as about the beast itself, or even the human it had once been before being consumed. Giving a bow Aaron Whiry only cast the briefest of glances at the hunter before retreating quietly.

On the right, however a pale, almost pallid priest opened his mouth as if poised to speak but shut it tight as he reconsidered. It was likely wise, as Early's comments were almost always bitingly sarcastic, but even he wouldn't dare speak back to the Father. The Armorer gave a quick, stiff bow before retreating, knowing he'd have plenty of time to speak with Varena personally soon enough.

Once alone, the Father walked, with the help of his cane, to a large, plush chair, likely one of the only semblances of "comfort" this place had to offer. Seating himself he remained facing away from the young hunter, though he only remained silent a moment.

"My Child, this battle may seem easy, but rest assured, I'd only be sending you if we received great gain from it." he knew he didn't have to explain himself. That his words were enough of an assurance that their path was righteous, but he also knew that setting a young hunter's mind at ease was as much of a necessity as arming her with weapons or knowledge. Isolated in a forgotten monastery did little for morale, and though the stone of the walls seemed secure, they were as fragile as a bird's egg, hoping to remain hidden from the serpents that slithered all too close, eager to crack it open and consume it completely.

"Now, prepare yourself."

RE: Varena Eberhart vs. The World

Varena knelt in the ancient room, built with stone and wood by hands that had known a completely different world than the one they lived in now. She had come to this room more times than she could recall to receive direction from the Father so that she could do her work as a weapon of the Order. That was what she was, her purpose, to strike down the vile creatures that kept mankind locked in this neverending hell. The Bible foretold an end, and it was that end that they worked towards. Varena knew, objectively, that it would likely not happen in her own lifetime, but to fight for that future was far better than sitting complacent, accepting the way things were. So many of their kind simply knew no better, she hadn’t until she had been liberated, kept an ignorant slave for the first five or so years of her life.

Some twenty years later though and Varena was no longer ignorant or complacent, or helpless. Far from it.

She listened silently as the Father gave her some indication of who and what her target was, before he dismissed the two young priests on either side of her. Varena stood, dressed modestly in a simple pair of trousers tucked into her boots and a black top. She would put on her armor before she left, there was no reason to wear it here. When the priest spoke again, she nodded, “I understand,” she told him, after serving him for almost eight years, she knew that he would not underestimate her or waste her skills. Still, it was reassuring to hear it from him.

When he next dismissed her she bowed sharply at the waist before she turned and left, the heels of her boots rapping sharply on the stone floor as she walked. Once out in the hall she spotted Aaron and Early, nodding to them a little, “A minotaur, it’s been some time,” she remarked to them. “What do we know of this one?” she asked, glancing at Aaron.

Aaron nodded in agreement at Varena's comment, knowing all-too-well the monsters she'd faced in the past. e'd only been placed in his position within a year, and had yet to prove himself, but he'd read dossiers. Lists of monsters she'd fought, and her own background, completely open to him. "Come with me." he requested, turning on his heel to lead her away from the empty hallway, Early lingering behind them. Taking her to his "office" he ushered her in, the small, cramped library around them stacked with tomes, long forgotten by the demons. Once she was in and comfortable, (Well, as comfortable as she could be in such cramped, musty quarters) he settled into a seat at his desk, flipping through a sheaf of paper.

"Ah, Ironhoof." he exclaimed, waving the paper in the air for a moment as if proving it was, indeed what he claimed. "Ironhoof is a old Minotaur. Very old. He was one of the first demons out of the Vault, and it shows. Approximately nine feet tall, more than a ton, yadda yadda..." the young man trailed off as he scanned the page before him, mumbling more to himself than either of his spectators.

""Yadda yadda", that's very helpful, thank you Aaron." Early commented, crossing his arms and the younger man cast him a quick glare before speaking up "Ah, alright, I think I'e got what I need. Alright, what the Father was, of course, accurate, it's going to be his, uh, "birthday", for lack of a better word in two days. The anniversary of the day in which he manifested his physical form on our plane. He's a spirit of Wrath, likely from the Fifth Circle. Thing is, on his "Birthday", he and all his guards and lackies tend to booze it up and break out the...ah, harem girls. Human breeding fodder some, and slaves they buy specifically for pleasure. Point is, with them all boozed up and distracted, it's the perfect opportunity to get in and kill him." he explained, motioning to the paper as if the entire plan might just be listed there.

"And, something juicy here, apparently when he came into this world he possessed one Mr. Francisco. Former Mr. Universe, very nice. Looks like our Mr. F was notoriously claustrophobic. Fitting, for a Minotaur, I guess. Point is, though demons would deny it to their dying day, extensive study on what few live specimens I've come across show that they actually retain key features of their formerly human psyche and fears is numero uno. Don't know how you can use that, Varena, but it might come in handy. I to this day don't know how on Earth Father gets info this specific though, I'm surprised it doesn't have his favorite food on here."

Varena followed the young scholar as he headed for his ‘office’, which barely had enough room for her and Early, but they managed to squeeze their way in. She sat down, having to lean a little bit so she didn’t knock over a pile of books stacked right next to her chair, and waited while Aaron searched for what he was looking for. He found it, and give her some very vague information. She did look curious at the mention of the demon having been one of the first out of the Vault. He was not the first demon of such longevity she had fought, but it had been some time. The original demons, the most powerful, were well guarded and powerful, ancient and not easily defeated. Varena found it interesting that there was an opening like this, and wondered idly if it might be a trap, or if perhaps Ironhoof had done something to make himself vulnerable. Demons did turn on one another of course, it would be within their nature to try to avoid directly turning on an ancient demon and instead simply removed any protection he might have been enjoying so that their enemies could take care of him instead.

She was pulled from her thoughts as Early griped about the unhelpful bit of information and then Aaron expanded on what he had. The hunter leaned back in her chair, pursing her lips as she listened and planned. If she could free those slaves while she was at it, all the better. Being a freed slave herself, one of the few times Varena ever really went out of her way to directly help people (other than killing demons) was to ensure that the slaves of the demons she killed found their way to people who could help them. When Aaron was done, the hunter nodded a little, and looked at Early, “I’m going to need the best shields we got installed, I’m not going to be able to dodge every hit, and minotaurs hit hard. And anything we have that I can use to piss him off would be useful.”

Demons were, in truth, as individualistic as humans. It was true that for the most part, they could fall in various categories that shared characteristics, but no one was completely alike. She had fought minotaurs before, and she had fought very ancient demons, but Ironhoof was his own beast. Varena was still young, but she had lasted longer than other hunters, they didn’t have the longest life expectancy, and in her opinion the biggest issue hunters faced was taking their targets seriously. People wanted to look down on demons as mindless, evil monsters, and while they were certainly evil and they were monsters, few were mindless. In fact they were highly intelligent, which was what made them so dangerous. They learned fast, and they could get in your head (some could literally do that, but most it was just an acute ability to read people), and if that happened, you were done.

Varena sighed and stood, though she wasn’t able to go anywhere until Early moved too, “I’ll see if I can find out Ironhoof’s favorite food while I’m there, for your records.”

"Shields are all well and good, but what's really the issue here is weaponry." Early explained as he opened the door, heading out and turning to face Varena when she exited behind him. "Minotaurs, as a whole, are tough. Very tough. Fact is, you're not going to get through that fur and muscle with just any blade, you'll have to use the one I made you before. It has a constant, low-frequency vibration, and the edge should be capable of slicing through steel without any severe difficulty. Issue is, with a Minotaur as old as Ironhoof, even that may not be enough to kill him instantly. It'll be a battle of attrition, they can survive losing a lot of blood." leading her away from the door he continued speaking, stroking the wispy hairs that grew from his chin as he thought.

Taking her through the halls, he soon came upon a flight of stone stairs, motioning for her to follow as they headed down. Cobwebs clung stubbornly to the corners and ceiling of the old structure, and he lit a few torches as he continued down. For a moment it was as if he took her through a portal to the days before demons and technology. Back when humanity only had itself to worry about. Their dismal surroundings, however, belied what lay beneath their feet. What once was a crypt, now may be one of the few cradles of technology humanity still had its hands on. On old, oaken tables, once likely for parchment and quills, perhaps even corpses, weapons lined. Axes, swords, crossbows, even guns and bullets scattered across their surfaces.

"I have a few options for you." Early continued, straightening a few items as he walked past. "I'm going to have to give you the best shields we have, otherwise you'll be demolished and I hate having to get new hunters. They're a pain to fit for those suits." he commented, giving her a wry smirk. "You know the deal, though, I give you the best we've got, but with someone like Ironhoof it'll take one to two hits at the most before it'll have to recharge. Even worse than that, if he hits hard enough it might fry the kinetic buffer altogether and if that happens you're without a shield for the rest of the mission, and I'm out a shield to give out. My advice: Don't get hit."

“No really? I thought I could go in with a slingshot and do just fine. It worked for Goliath after all,” Varena said sarcastically as she followed Early out, rolling her eyes a little. Of course she would need good weaponry, but that would only do her so much good if she got killed in one hit. She listened though as he told her his idea for the perfect weapon, which she’d used before, a charge blade. “So a hack and slash, sounds like a lot of fun,” Varena said, and it was hard to say if she was being sarcastic or serious. Probably a little of both. She had a love-hate relationship with her work, it was tiring, and extremely stressful, you never knew if the next assignment might be your last. And demons could be exhausting on a mental level, they were never just simple to kill. But it was satisfying, she found personal and spiritual fulfillment in killing demons, ridding their world of them one at a time.

It was only people who knew what they were doing who could properly kill a demon. It wasn’t enough to just destroy their vessel after all, as many could survive without a body long enough to attach to another. In fact that had happened to many fighters over the years who didn’t know any better. Properly trained hunters knew though, that it was not so simple as that. Different methods had been attempted, including taking priests out with them, but that had proven too risky. Hunters could not always protect their charges, and people who had the ability to be both a hunter and a priest were rare. So hunters were now given vessels of their own, enchanted items that would bind any free demonic spirits to itself so the hunter could bring them back and give them to priests who would know how to properly send the abominations back to hell, so they couldn’t come back, not easily at least.

She followed Early to the armory, giving a dry laugh at his advice, “Thanks, I would have never known to try that if you hadn’t told me.” She was always at her most sarcastic with him, it could be confusing for people that didn’t know them. “Well… you’re giving me the charge blade… a ranged weapon would be good. He can’t hit me if I’m not actually near him after all,” Varena remarked as she observed the weapons with her hands on her hips. “These brutes lose their tempers easy, and they made stupid decisions when they’re pissed, anything that can get his blood boiling without me getting immediately killed would be great,” she mused.

"Well, maybe you can use your slingshot idea?" Early countered, peeking over his shoulder as he straightened the weapons out on the table. "Or even better, your quick wit!"
Reaching over he pat a crossbow, turning to look at her. "Big thing we'll need to address is that even drunk and stupid, if one of Ironhoof's guards hear you, it'll come running. Guns aren't an option, any silencers I've fashioned are for too small a caliber to damage a Minotaur, so that's what this baby is for." picking up the relatively archaic weapon he tossed it to her. Fortunately, despite its design, it was lightweight, and clearly made in more modern times.

"Last thing I have for you is this." he added, heading around to a relatively small chest near the back of the room. Stooping he fished around until satisfied, standing and lying none-other than ancient dynamite on the table. It was almost laughable compared to the modern explosives around the world, but pickings were slim. "We found this in some old mines while mapping escape routes. It's not much, but even old dynamite is still dynamite. It's a simple light-and-throw but you have to cook it or the fuse can be put out. You use it though, and that place is coming down on you, figuratively and, if the explosion is big enough, literally." Heading to the doorway he motioned towards it, and though he had no real authority to dismiss her, it was clear his intentions were to get her out of his lab.

The Father's words, as always, held as true as ever. In two days the "party" raged, an orgy of drinks, fighting, and human women, used mercilessly by a number of massive, bull-like creatures. The building they gathered in was ancient, and the spire atop it scraped the night sky. Perhaps it was coincidence, but more likely it was a sign of cruelty. What once was likely a proud, even noble church was the gathering place of a cruel brood of demonic creatures and at the heart of it all was Ironhoof himself.

“I always use my quick wit to my advantage,” Varena smirked, catching the crossbow as he tossed it to her. Another favored weapon of hers, she’d be glad to have it. When Early mentioned one last piece of gear for her she followed him around to the small chest, resting the butt of the crossbow on her hip. Her jaw dropped a little when he laid that dynamite down, picking it up quickly (but carefully) and looking it over. “Oh… oh man, this is going to be way too much fun,” Varena grinned. Most Hunters had a habit of making light of their work, a coping mechanism really. It was rarely fun when you were in the middle of a hunt, it was terrifying, exhilarating, but not very ‘awesome’ or ‘fun’. It was only later, when you were secure in the fact that you were still alive that you could really celebrate.

“I’ll tell ya all about it when I get back,” she grinned again, giving him a nod before she turned and left. She wouldn’t be leaving right away, Varena put away the weapons that Early had given her and gave him some time to prepare her sword and armor by heading for the Sanctum. This was where she was supposed to go before a hunt anyway. Fighting demons was not like hunting animals, or even people, they were supernatural creatures of amazing power. The huntress entered the Sanctum, her movements as silent as possible, the silent inside was heavy, settling over her like a mantle. There weren’t many other people inside, there never were, but there was always at least a few.

Kneeling in front of an ancient carving of Jesus Christ, not dying or suffering but standing with a serene expression, hands reaching out, palms up, as if beckoning to you. Varena settled, closed her eyes, and went still, and didn’t move again for two hours, lost deep in meditation as she arranged her thoughts and emotions. They were compartmentalized, packed away, so her mind would be clear and focused. She couldn’t afford to be distracted, or to give this demon any wiggle room with her mind.

It was only once her mind was in order that she had donned her armor and left, and now Varena found herself on the fringes of the minotaur’s compound two days later. She ignored the plaintive cries and sobbing of the human slaves as they were used cruelly and mercilessly. The best thing to do by them now was to concentrate on her objective, being a hero was for fairy tales, not for the real world. The features of Varena’s face were completely hidden behind the black, compound glass of her helmet. It bore only the orthodox cross. She was not Varena right now, she was a living weapon, and as a weapon, she had no identity.

The crossbow was slung across her back, her sword strapped to her thigh and currently collapsed. When she drew it, would extend and the electric charge would surge through its blade. And of course, in the small pack on her hip, was that stick of dynamite. Carefully, silently, she crept closer, crouched down and moving quickly, like a shadow.

In the chaos and rowdiness, it wasn't surprising when the Minotaur that patrolled the area failed to catch a glimpse as the human moved past them, bellowing to one-another and taking swigs from frothing, barrel-sized tankards. It seemed as if the night was going perfectly. Throughout the building humans cried out and were swiftly silenced, others were permitted to wail pathetically. The rough stone walls provided ample shadow, and the lights, though electric, were dim bulbs that flickered absently, hanging by thin cords from the ceiling.

Deep within the church, past the corridors, past the teetering guards and revelry, Ironhoof dwelt. His shaggy, gray hair bristled up yet still unable to conceal the rippling muscles beneath. The room he resided in was small, but large enough for him to comfortably reside in, at least for what he intended. One of the beds had been moved in, and he'd taken his favorite of his new presents up there to play with, though she had kicked and screamed the entire way. His form cut a cruel silhouette, horns that arched from his brow, filed to vicious points, and the axe he'd leaned against the wall of the room they resided in was obviously one that had seen plenty of battle. Well-worn, but still retaining a wicked edge.

Surely nothing could bring him down on today of all days?

Varena slipped through the chaos as silent as a shadow, the cross on her helmet disappearing so no one would see her. Thankfully these minotaurs were drunk and arrogant, none of them were really doing their job, too drunk and sure of their invincibility to think that there could possibly be a threat to them. Once Ironhoof was taken care of, she would see to these beasts as well. It was too bad that their human hosts were too far gone to save. Often, demons could be expelled or exorcised if possession was discovered early, with no long term ill effects to the human, but these poor souls were beyond saving. They would simply have to hope their souls had hope of salvation after being wrapped up with a demon for so long.

She followed the blueprints glowing slightly on the inside of her visor, Aaron had found the blueprints for the church and scanned them into her HUD so she always knew where she was going, and where she needed to go. Demons constantly sold, bought, and traded human slaves, the plus side to that for their organization being that often, liberated slaves had been to a number of demon strongholds. A few of them had been in Ironhoof’s possession apparently, telling them exactly where the center of his operation was.

She reached the door, the hallway deserted as apparently most of the guards patrolled the outer portions of the church, no doubt thinking no one would ever get this far in without their notice. Varena paused, unsure of how to proceed, but able to hear movement inside, and the crying whimpers of a woman. Pursing her lips, the hunter looked up and down the hall, sizing up her options, before she simply knocked loudly on the door, banging with clear urgency. “Boss! Boss!” she called, her helmet morphing her voice to be low and deep. That done though she quickly retreated, ducking into a doorway and pulling out her crossbow, loaded with a bolt that was tipped with silver, and loaded with something that was poisonous to demons, holy water.

Early was right, this would be a battle of attrition, she was not going to kill him quickly, so her best bet was to start wearing him down as soon as possible. Poisoning him was a good start.

Back
Top Bottom