Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Orcs and Flowers [JenivueGrimm and Sirix]

JenivueGrimm

Super-Earth
She took in a deep breath of the scent of the forest. With a smile she stared at the beautiful flower before her. It held a vibrant red color and it's stem twisted and curled along the floor like a snake. Twinkling, golden strands of pollen also stuck out from it's center. Once she was done admiring it, Annabella pulled out her journal to record it for further study. Yet when she had just pulled out the pencil, the bodies of two orc preteens wrestling smashed down upon the beautiful specimen. She huffed and without thinking smacked both with the thick and large book. Not that it even hurt them. The two boys laughed and got up as she yelled at them,"You two are such bullies! Do you know how rare that flower was and now you've destroyed it!" She glanced down to the crushed flower as the two were joined in laughing by the rest of her classmates. Finally, Annabella glared at them and stood to fight but she was quickly picked straight up and held high in the air by the teacher.

The large female orc had brought them out to the woods to do some spar practice and wilderness survival. Almost all of the orc went into sparing. Damn near every orc was an expert in being a warrior. However, Annabella was in wilderness survival. Not that she minded, she loved studying the wildlife and communing with nature, however she wasn't given a choice like the others. That was because she was the only human in an entire village of orcs. Yes, the big hulking orcs you always hear about. Powerful opponents that lay waste to battlefields. The nastiest of the races you could ever run across in the land of Gernado. Years ago her human mother was on the run from imperial bastards. She was caught and left very much injured and dying. A group of orcs had come across her and scared away her attackers. They cut Annabella out to save her life when her mother died. A widowed orc who had no children was part of that group and gladly took her in as her own. Annabella was always made aware that the orc was her adoptive mother. There was no way you'd get a human to think she's an orc for long. Biologically she was very much weaker, shorter, and completely different skin wise. No one in the village even slightly was close to looking even midway like her.

Annabella then yelled as she glared at the two boys with a finger pointed in accusation,"But they ruined a Vicera Macca! It was the only one even remotely around this area and they just completely destroyed it!"

"Baby!"

"Am not!"

Their teacher rolled her eyes and then silenced them as she said in her booming voice,"Alright! Boys! You know that this is not the sparing area. Also there is no honor in picking on the weak! Everyone back to sparing area and get back to fighting." The rest of them walked back to where they were supposed to be. The teacher hissed at the two boys as they passed by,"You two should know better." Once everyone was away she sighed and set Annabella down as she said,"And you... Annabella, don't try to be tough and fight. You're frail, even by human standards."

"But they're the ones that started it! Why am I the one being singled out all the time? It's been happening more and more. Now I can't even go outside out of class and play with them. This wasn't going on when we first started our learning."

She ruffled her hair and said,"They are getting rougher and rougher in their play. That's why. You flourish in being sweet and docile. But lately you're trying to be like them. Annabella, they are at a time in their lives now when they are expanding and testing. You can get seriously hurt... Trust me, it's for the best... Now get back to your herbal studies."

So she did. By the time she was an actual teen, she had actually shown to be a very powerful spiritualist. She was completely cut off from the others to be taken in as the next village shaman. Her first few years of training were living with the current shaman out in the middle of very far off cottage so her studies and training would not be contaminated by anyone. It was pure focus on the spirits and powers that be in nature.

Annabella followed closely behind as the two had come back from their training. She smiled as she saw that her mother immediately beamed at her as she arrive. With a small nod she followed the Shaman as she motioned for Annabella to come with her inside the great lodge, they were going to announce her as the next village shaman. Sitting on the throne she smiled and both of them bowed to their village leader. However when her head rose her smile faded as another figure came into the room to fall into step behind the leader, someone she knew very well. Her eyes shifted as she forced a smile as she watched the shaman walked to the leader and hold his hands as she announced smiling back at her,"My dear, I have chosen Annabella to be my shaman in training. We have returned from the spiritual lands. She had proven to be perhaps even more spiritually powerful than even me. I've matured and helped her developed her sight and she has proven that she is able to take my place." The leader smiled and said to his wife,"Then we shall have a feast! To welcome back our shaman and also embrace her trainee... This certainly will be very momentous. We've never had a human shaman. Much has happened since you've been gone. I have taken in someone as well to take my place." Annabella couldn't even force the smile as she watched he bring the orc beside him to meet her.
~.~
"Could you believe it?! The orc who gets chosen to be the next village leader is that damn bully who destroyed the Vicera Macca. In all my time I haven't been able to find one that mature and perfect again... I would have been so perfect for medicinal studies.", she ranted on to her adoptive mother as she braided her hair in preparation for the celebration that had just barely gotten started. With her mother was actually three other female who had been very good friends with her. They all chuckled and said,"Yeah, this is gonna be weird. Discounting the hatred, the leader and shaman have always been a couple, this is the first time any of our kind have taken a human for a mate."

"Who said that I was going to take him as my mate? I've studied the traditions and none of them say that I have to be with him. It's just always happened that that's the way its always been. To produce stronger orcs for the future. Why would I want an orc who is so dishonorable that he fights the weak? Where is the honor? Where is the leadership in that? I could go out and kill thousands of insects, but that doesn't make me a great warrior!"

Her friends laughed before one of them said,"You sound like our teacher. She was always saying that exact line. Even after you left our group." Annabella sighed and said,"Well its true." Her mother patted her shoulders as she said,"Done, now lets go out and relax. We'll take more gossip later ladies."

Annabella was picked up by her mother as they rushed out to join in the celebration. From the moment she was placed on her feet she was swept away in dancing and drinking. The music played loud in her ears and she joined in the joyous activities. She was towered by everyone by at least a couple of inches or so but nothing too drastic. She felt safe with them, she was raised by these people. Her joy was quickly stopped as one of her dance partners passed her off and she collided with a hard chest. Giggling she brought herself away and said,"I"m so sorry! I was so dizzy that I-" She stopped and her smile immediately disappeared as she was face to face with her bully, the next village leader. Her eyes adopted a slight glare as she heard her drunken friend call out for them to dance. Her weight shifted to her back foot as to put even more distance between them while also not completely being hostile. Despite her anger and hatred, she had to be nice as they both would soon by the two the village looked to keep them safe. She an adviser of sorts and he their leader. Finally she forced out and a calm and polite tone,"It's been a very long time. Congratulations on being chosen to be the next village leader. It must be a great honor."​

Grom laughed and spit in the direction of the young human as she and the other shaman hopefuls were taken out into the forest to really begin their training. "Good riddance to her, she doesn't belong with us any way. Humans have no place amongst our clans." He says, then receives a swift hit from the teacher.

"Quiet you, that is not your place to decide." The teacher says sternly to the young orc, who only stares back at the teacher with a small amount of hate, but too much respect to talk back to her. "Now, back to the circle, if you want to talk like a chief, then you will fight like a chief." She says, having the rest of the class spar against Grom alone. Grom was able to hold his ground for a while but eventually he fell and was given a beating of his life, but the chief started to take notice of him.

_____

Years down the road, the year of choosing had come and Grom had grown into one of the greatest warriors of the clans, and the greatest warrior of this village second to only the chief, Natar, himself. Grom had defeated veteran fighters and proved himself an able tactician. He had even learned to a greater degree the meaning of honor. He now had a large scar across his cheek after the chief had seen him strike down a surrendering enemy, teaching him that to kill an already defeated opponent served only to shame oneself and his clan. From that day on, the chief had kept a closer eye on the young orc, shaping him into a greater (man?) orc that he had seen in the making.

It had been only a few days before the shaman returned with her successor, many still expecting an orc to be the next shaman despite the fact that all had been sent back for failure to see, when Natar announced that Grom would be the next chief. The village had held a small feast in his honor, saving the true celebration for when his soon to be bride was official announced. He waited by Natar's side a proud grin on his lips until he saw the human girl following the shaman in the traditional dress, where it fell into an angry frown. "How could it be her? She isn't even one of us." He whispers to himself, getting Grom an angry glance from Natar.

The evening then proceeded with joyous celebration and wondrous dancing. Grom ate and drank his fill before joining everyone around the fire for the dancing and song. He danced with many of his friends, and many of the females as well, taking this last chance to feel like a true orc before he would be tied to the human girl. He feels a thud against his chest, looking down to see Annabelle giggle at her accident and pull away a step to see who she had hit. He returns her glare, hearing her friend start the chant for them to dance as they would be joined soon anyway. He offers her a hand to the cheer of the group, returning her niceties. "Thank you. It is quite the honor indeed. I can't wait to see if the shaman's words are true and you do have greater sight then the honored wife." He says. Once they had joined hands, he starts them a gentle dance, Natar having warned him that if he ever injuried the human girl, he would have to answer to him even after he had passed away to the spirit realm.

The song allowed for the gentlier dance to happen, though for a normal human it would still look like quiet the tumbling experience. Grom continues to keep up the conversation, trying to play nice for now. "So, what is the shaman training like?" He asks.

Her eyes stared at his hand as if it were diseased as she leaned back a bit more. However she took in a deep breath, steeled herself, and reluctantly grasped his hand before beginning the dance. She managed to handle herself well as they moved. Then she stated,"So she says, but no one's sight could be clearer than the Honored Wife." Her tone reflected the admiration and reverence for the woman. At the mention of shaman training she took in a deep breath and started,"It was..." Then came the part of the dance that she had never really been able to get the hang of. Not that she would have ever been able to get much experience previously. Her unfamiliarity caused her to lose her footing a bit and tumble as she quickly let out as if just remembering the word,"Dizzy." She quickly regained however and came out strong as she continued,"We spent many, many days honing our sight. I remember some days I didn't know if what I was walking the spiritual ground or not. Other times, the two worlds bled together. The things we took, the things I saw. It was all so dizzying. Eventually I found my footing on the spiritual ground and that was able to draw myself out without the Honored Wife's help. Then that's when she was able to guide me deeper. I was the most lovely thing i've ever experienced." She had been told since coming back that many of the others that had come with them had come back. Some a little worse. One of the orcs had even come back only to nearly blind themselves by trying to claw out their own eyes. But she had known a bit. In the bleeding of the worlds she had slowly started to notice the absence of their weight on the spirit world. There were some who were unable to find their way out and the Honored Wife had to force them out. She had come close to losing herself to the spirits many times, but she was able to follow the guide by the Honored Wife. At least until she had actually been able to walk the realm on her own. Then the two had spent their time walking into the deepest realms where she could learn the extent of the sight.

She briefly had a glazed look as she remembered the month she spent before coming back to the village. However, it faded just as quickly as it came before she asked,"How about the chieftain? When we were children we always heard the stories and rumors of his honor. What was his training like? Since we've been gone, has anything else interesting happened." She wanted to ask an additional question however she bit her tongue and refused to utter the words. The question that was really on her mind was how he had ever gotten the chieftain's attention with how dishonorable he was. Yet she supposed that their chieftain would never let one who would go against their code to take the throne. She supposed the chief had been able to shape him up a bit. Were he still the same orc she had left, she was sure he would have been just as disgusting as he had been in their youth. Her feelings still weren't swayed though. Deep down she still saw him as that insufferable cur who picked on her because she was the weakest. There might have been at a very early time they were actually friends. However as she started to be pulled from the group, he had turned on her. Started to attack her, non physical ways, but still. The day he and that other orc trampled that rare flower, he left a permanent imprint on her.

Grom guided her through the dance as was expected of him. During the toughest part of the dance, he lets her tumble a little but she never hits the ground nor was she ever in any real danger of getting hurt, he had seen to that much. He listens to her speak of the training finding it so much easier then the sparring and the tactical training he had gone though, though what a few of the other hopefuls said as they came back told a different story to what he heard now. "Sounds...intense." he comments about the shaman training, knowing the warriors eyes weren't meant any the kind of beauty that the shamans told of the spirit realm.

At her question about his own training, his hand goes straight to his cheek, watching again as the chieftain's blade flashed before his face. "It was...intense in a different way. I was recruited for a war party to show my stuff and I shamed the clan. Chieftain Natar decided that I need a lessons and I guess I shaped up under his tutelage to become the next chieftain." He says, thinking about the long hours of combat and strategy training he had been through. "Lets just say that I have a different view on a few things." He says. He still didn't feel that she should be the next shaman, but he did see the value of her being around.

As soon as he mentioned that he shamed the clan her expression went flat. Then she uttered after what he said,"Not much of a shock there." As soon as she slipped the words she regretted it a little bit. Her adopted mother had been dancing nearby and Annabella had caught the scolding look. Yet she wasn't going to lie. Then she said,"A 'different view'... Right." The tone reflect that she clearly didn't think he had changed his views at all. Then a quick look from the Shaman she said,"I apologize. That must have sounded very rude. The trip was long and I must be acting very hostile due to fatigue... So, different topic, how have the rest of our classmates been? Are you still friends with that one orc? Oh what was his name, I seem to have forgotten. You know, the one you were wrestling when you two destroyed that Vicera Macca." There was bit of bite to that last sentence as well. Letting it be very clear that she still remembered and she still hated them for it. From a safe distance her friends cringed. She couldn't even go one dance... Really? She hated him that much. They could see the thin mask she wore not even being able to hide her true feelings.

Her anger was showing in her movements as she danced.

(I am so sorry. I have really busy so this thread that I can't see once I have it checked just slipped my mind.)

His face sours as well at the passive aggressive hostility that she was giving him. He wasn't happy about the situation either, but she was having a harder time then he was at being civil, and orcs were known for not being civil, she was human. He controls himself to a degree though and his face saddens a little as she asks his old friend. "His name was Tor. I'm surprised that you guys didn't hear. He died in that war party." He informs her, pausing a moment as the dance gets difficult again, his body starting to shake a little at her hostility. Once the dance got simpler again, he goes back to their conversation. Luckily for both of them, the dance was going to be ending soon, so he pushes to hold his composure for just a few minutes longer. "He was struck down late into the fight, charged the enemy to give the rest of us a chance to regroup." He informs her, his tone sad but also accusing, her tone earlier almost insulting to an honored dead.

(Dont worry about it)

"Deepest apologies, I know how close you and Tor were. Practically the same exact orc. Our connection to anything had to be completely cut for our training. Since coming back they do try to bring me up to date but only if they come up in conversation." She silenced herself for the remaining of their dance. It definitely put her friends and mother on edge as they could see that the dance hadn't gone well with the two. As soon as it came to an end she immediately brought herself away and turned to take a seat far away without a single word. Her mother followed after her and as soon as Annabella came to a stop to sit down she sighed and said in a low voice with her hands on her hips,"Fragile darling..."

"We are not getting married."

Both jumped as she heard the honored wife come up with an amused smile as she asked,"Marrying who?" Annabella hesitated before she said,"No one. I'm not marrying anyone."

"It's always happened that the two were a couple. The only times it didn't was if one was much older than the other. Do you think him undesirable for some reason?", she asked. Though she had already been clued in by their old teacher that the two had been friends when they were very young, but as Annabella had been pulled and Grom grew as most orc males do, their relationship had changed. Plus she didn't need her Sight to tell here that there was some deep seeded hatred between the two. Even if they seemed calm enough, she could see their aura's battling to get away from each other. Annabella thought for a moment on what to say before she said,"I think I'd rather stay single."

Her mother sighed and added,"It's always been that way though. The Shaman and the Chieftain have always been a pair." The Shaman nodded and said,"That is true. The village started celebrating the Return for this exact reason. As soon as the shaman apprentice is chosen and returns, the village celebrates what will be the new pair that shall bring about a child that is both strong and spiritually powerful." Annabella huffed. The Shaman chuckled and patted her head. She gave a nod to her mother before going to find her husband. Her mother shook her head at Annabella before gently grabbing her and bringing her back to the party as Annabella put her happy mask back on.

(wow, again, so sorry. I should be a lot better at keeping this thread up now that most of the craziness has left my life. If you are still interested in this rp, just reply and if I go more then 3 days without replying send me a pm and ill reply)

Grom makes his way away from the human as the pair ended the dance. He walks to his other friends near the chieftain, trying to keep his rant quiet enough to not rouse the leaders attention and wrath. "How can they expect me to be bound to...to...her." He stammers, still trying to be somewhat civil. "She disregards our ways is insufferable at all times. She couldn't hold her tongue for the duration of the shortest dance." He says, not noticing the chief walk up.

"And why should she? She is there to show you when you are wrong. Blunt when she needs to be and tender when you deserve it. The shaman and the chief have always balanced each other, the chief keeping the shaman rooted on the ground and the shaman keeping the chief looking to the sky." He says, then gets into the younger orcs face. "If you don't think you can suffer her, renounce your honor, leave the village." The older orc says, then leaves himself to find his wife.

The friends mediate their friend down from his quiet rage then coax him back to the party, keeping the pair separate for the rest of the night. The two leaders however meet up as they desired, sneaking away for a moment of quiet and to talk. "It seems our choices have strong feelings for each other. Not positive, but strong." he observes.

(Don't worry about it too much! I understand how life can get)

The shaman chuckled as she met up with her husband and heard what he said. Then her eyes went to Annabella as she said,"Very strong. Their history was told to me by their teacher... They can balance each other. Even with the anger and the clashing, I do see that it is there. Were they not a good fit and unable to balance, her temper would have caused a scene."

Annabella she knew, was a bit of a hot head. It was surprisingly pleasant when she discovered it. She had expected the little human to be nothing but docile and shy. Yet the girl was passionate, fought for it even though she was surrounded by beings that were easily able to do harm to her. Even when the girl was young she had been told that Annabella was that way. They tried to train her to be more docile by giving her more peaceful jobs and skill sets but still the woman still retained that fire. That same passion, she saw could be aimed toward a sweet side. Over all, she found her choice was naturally a blunt speaker, never really being able or even wanting to hide her feelings. She shared them freely with any around her, even the spirits. Which is what made her succeed when others faded.

There was another soft chuckle as she watched the girl sitting with her friends that she had rekindled with all sitting down drinking. Orc drinks were notoriously strong to humans. They could easily drink any human under the table due to their naturally high tolerance. Annabella was already showing signs of getting drunk, being overly happy and friendly.

"We weren't always so sweet to each other, though never to their degree." He remembers times when they fought almost tooth and nail with each other when they were first paired. Over time they had grown close though. He looks at his own young choice, seeing much of his own young self in the orc, fiery and passionate about the ways, if Grom was a bit...well racist towards the human. "They will just need time." He says, then turns back to his wife. Should we rejoin the party or retire for the night. It has been many months since we had a night alone." He says with a smile.

Grom on the other hand had rejoined the party proper now, dancing and drinking to his heart's content. He danced with many of the girls from their class, having much more fun it seemed then with Annabella earlier. He works on getting her out of his mind for the rest of the night, but his gaze always returns to her, curiosity starting to get to him about their future. It was plain to all that they didn't like each other, but tomorrow they would start to build their hut for them to start their lives together.

She smirked at her husband and then said,"It has indeed been a long time. After a few years of isolation, I do believe none will object to us wanting to spend the rest of the night together. Let's retire and leave the party rage on."

Annabella had quickly become intoxicated and in this state she had become strangely serene while for others it would make them more wild, such is the case with her friends. Not that she blamed them for wanting to leave for the high energy when Annabella was quickly diving into calm. The world of reality blurring and enabling her mind to wander. Sounds drowned out slowly as she sat happily watching the mass of dancing figures. Once she felt her adoptive mother's arms cradle her form and lift her from her seat, she felt it was right to finally travel into the spirit world. Her mother carried her from the party as the other orcs became more rowdy with the ale. As it always had been her entire life, when things were getting a bit too much for her frail body, she was taken away. Yet in this instance, Annabella didn't care. Vaguely she was aware of her being placed in her bed and her mother leaving to go back to the party.

Still, she didn't feel any anger. The spirit world was where she loved to be. On this ground, she wasn't constricted by her body. She felt herself become an ember, no, a being of roaring flames. Thoughts and memories drained away and it was just the moment that was left. She danced unseen among the faint glimmers of the others on the other side. Here, she flourished in the high spirits. It wasn't just a night for the living. One this ground, they were all merely beings enjoying the night. Unspoken words of stories and emotions all flashed before her sight. The ever shifting and forming world was spinning around her. It was something very few got to see. The beauty none could put into words. She watched and took in the sights of the world as she danced. It was a pleasant but enjoyable bubbly feeling as she felt spirits swirl and dance around her. When she felt drained and ready for the earthen slumber, she finally pulled herself from the spiritual ground and into her physical body.

Come morning, she was less than happy of the pounding in her head. She groaned and sat up from her bed. A strong scent filled her senses. Looking to her bed side table, she found her own mother's special brew for hangovers. Smiling, she quickly shot it back and got ready for the day. She looked at herself in the mirror as she wore the typical shaman outfit. It was very revealing, as it always was for the shamans. At its basic as a bikini top and skirt cut very high at its sides to reveal her legs, both made from hide. The outfit was decorated at its trimmings with bones and feathers. Her hair was also styled and fashioned like other female orcs. It was mixed with braids and beading as it was tied up into a high short ponytail. She turned and walked out to the grand hall. It was a bit later in the day and there were plenty of orcs already up. Yet her somewhat happy feeling started to sink when she saw in the distance at a scenic location that she had always enjoyed, the preparation of a home was being made. When she entered she saw that their leader and the high lady were up. By the looks of it, it wasn't very long as it seemed they were settling. Also in the grand hall was Grom. She didn't bother herself with him as the high lady looked to her and beckoned her over.

"Still in high spirits from last night it seems."

"High light was in the spiritual world."

"Oh! You traveled there? I seemed to have been a bit too late when I traveled, I hadn't met with you there. How was it?", she had sent her husband a slight sly smirk. Annabella giggled and said,"Wonderful." Then her expression shifted quickly into curiosity as she immediately asked,"I see preparations of a home being built, beautiful location for one. But I wonder for whom?"

"You and Grom."

Annabella didn't even hide the horror. Then she quickly replied in a slight mumble,"Isn't that a bit rushed?! I mean really, assuming we'd pair together!... It's not guaranteed thing that the shaman and leader are a pair, our history has been littered with leaders and shamans who paired with others." The high lady just chuckled and patted her head as she said,"We discussed this last night." She immediately scrambled for any reason where she wouldn't have to be with him. Yet everything was going mute for her.

It was days later. She had been putting her training into practice as she assisted the high lady. Her glare combated with her mother's expectant stare. Then her mother said,"I won't back down."

The 'home' was still being built for herself and Grom. Every bit of progress had her gritting her teeth. Yet today was going to be insufferable. Damn near everyone in the village was expecting them to act like they were courting. Like they were so in love. If she knew she had a chance, she'd challenge him to break herself of this situation and send a message that she would never pair with him. Yet she couldn't. Now here she was holding a tray of freshly baked pumpkin cookies that she had made to relax with her mother. Said mother wanted her to take the newly made batch and give it to Grom as a lover's present for this 'holiday' as was what tradition dictated she do on this day. Well, most orcs didn't really know how to cook so instead the lovers gift was some hunt. Yet those who weren't as strong or battle savvy took on domestic skills. Sure Annabella loved to bake and cook and had become very good at it, but she did not want Grom. She was being pushed and forced by the expectations of the village to court him.

She found him no problem. Yet as she stood flushed with anger, slightly glaring, in front of him. Annabella couldn't - wouldn't- utter the words the village wanted her to day. So has she held out the plate of cookies she instead said blandly,"Today seems very nice so I baked these. Here I made a batch for you."

Grom spent the remainder of the party giving Annabelle short glances then turning his attention back to his friends and the activities there involved. They had spars going on for most of the night, and story telling of the greatest battles that the clan had had in its histories, stories of how through the combined efforts of the shaman's sight and the chiefs might that the clan could conquer and prevail in battle. The festivities proceeded until the fall of the moon, then many retired back to their homes for a couple hours rest before having to start the day's work, Grom one of the last to retire not ready to start his new life the next day.

The morning was just as unkind to Grom, his head pounding like war drums and no hangover concoction in sight. He takes a few minutes to almost drown himself in water to make the pain go away a bit before moving to get ready for the day. He donned his own more ceremonial garb of the chief, a hide kilt and that dropped to his knees and the skin of the bear he had to kill with his bare hands, to prove he was worthy to be chief, adorned with plenty of beads and feathers. His face was marked with the simple war paint of the chief and he was out the door and to his place by Natar's side when the shamans joined them. The younger pair naturally avoid each other, only speaking when they must, but otherwise avoiding each others gaze. He watches as she addresses the high lady, but moves on to his own superior after a call.

Several days later, the pair were looking at each other, the village's expectations heavy on their shoulders. He watches as she approaches him, a plate of cookies in her hands, his own hands behind her back holding his gift from view from her. He takes the cookies with a simple nod. He wasn't much of a cook, but there were finely baked, even he could tell. He looks at her, wanting to watch her expression at his gift to her. "In...honor of our union and future responsibilities." he says, using the more expected words, he reveals to her his gift.

In his hands was a shaman's staff made from a branch white oak, a sacred tree to the clan. It looked hand carved, far from masterwork level, but also not done shabbily either, the staff looking much like the totem pole that stood at the center of the village. "I figured if I had to give you something, might as well be something useful." He says just loud enough that only she could hear him.

Her eyes locked onto the staff as it comes into view. Almost immediately one of her eyebrows rise in interest. She gently grabbed it from him and inspected in in her hands. Not the best thing around but it was indeed a sight to behold. At first her expression changed into a pleasant one of wonder. It was lovely. Her eyes trailed along the path that her thumb took as it traced over some detail. The wood was a dead ringer for the sacred white oak. Once again her mind ran to that fateful day with the Viscera Macca. Her expression visibly soured. Then she finally replied,"Lovely, I do think this will be useful for my role..." It was a good enough height for her. A bit taller than a human made staff, but shorter than a staff an orc would make. It's tip just barely over her own height. She'd honor it and perform the ritual to make it an official shaman staff. Even if it did bring a bit of a sour memory to her mind.

Then again she supposed this was what she would have to get used to. The village was expecting them to pair off and live together. She was expected to life with him and all that entailed: Sharing a bed, cooking, bedding him, etc. It brought a repulsive shiver to think that she'd actually have to be intimate with him. Hell she wanted to leave now. Get away from him, but because of the holiday, she was forced into staying. Finally she forced out,"Would- Would you like to attend me as I gather the herbs for the ritual?"

His own face sours for half a moment before nodding. "I am honored to hear that." He says in response to her saying that it would be useful to her. In that respect, his tone was truthful. That his work would benefit the village brought him a great deal of happiness. He hears her ask him to join her and his own face sours for a moment before returning to his calm expression. "Of course, I would...love to join you." he says hesitantly, forcing out the word love with just a hint of venom to it. He takes his place and leads the way out of the hall, holding open the flap to let her out, then joining her towards forest.

Once out of view, he takes a few steps to the side, almost shaking with the idea that he had to be around her longer then he had expected. "Why ask me to join you?" He asks, knowing she didn't need him anywhere need the forest, not unless she expected a bear or something she couldn't fight to be out here. "Tell me what you need, I'm sure I can find it." he says, waiting for something he knew she would consider to basic for him to screw up.

All through the village she avoided even touching him. Finally, when they were out of view and in the forest she let out a vocal angry sigh. Then she heard his question and she immediately snapped back turning on her heel to face him,"Like I want to be around you more than I'm supposed to. If I wanted an orc to join me, I'd ask one that I can trust with my safety. Why did you agree?! I was hoping you'd say no... That you had something to do. I don't know! The village expects me to ask to be near you longer. You were free to turn me down." She growled and continued walking into the forest. At his statement she quickly turned back around to say,"Oh I know you'd be able to find them. It's the not crushing part that I remember you have a problem with." As she turned back around she said,"Just... Just... Just do whatever. I don't care." With that she walked on. Stopping to inspect certain plants and even tree bark.

Annabella really didn't want him here. In all honesty, she wanted him to just turn around and head back. Let her stay in the forest alone. She was pissed that he had agreed to go with her, she was pissed that she was being forced to pair with him, she was pissed at everything that Grom was. She didn't understand why the village still expected them to pair off. It was unreasonable.

He snaps back at her, "No, I'm just as trapped as you. You are not the only one with the village expectation on your shoulders." He reminds her. He huffs at her saying he would crush whatever he was sent after. At her request he turns back towards the village, ranting and raving but making sure to not crush anything that wasn't grass or so common it wouldn't be missed. Once back in the village view, he puts on a happy face and walks in, getting a small pot saying that they needed one to keep a needed flower fresh. He was quickly handed a pot and he turned back around heading into the forest, mumbling to himself, "I'll show her. I'll bring her the most delicate thing I can find."

Hours later, long after Annabella had returned to the village, Grom was still out searching, his pot always holding the most beautiful flower or delicate plant he had found, but he wanted the most delicate, even if it meant searching until dusk. As he scans the ground, he finds the next flower to go in the pot. This one was red and had a long stem. He slowly and carefully works to find where it is rooted in the ground. He carefully pulls the old flower from the pot and replaces it with the new flower. He searches for an hour more before heading back to the village, putting his happy face back on and walking up to Annabella.

"For you." He says, presenting her the pot and showing her the red flower there in it. Unknowingly he had brought her the very flower he had crushed so many years ago. He leans in close, to anyone watching it would look like a lover's whisper, his voice has only venom for her. "I can be just as careful as you." He hisses into her ear, then pulls away with smile.

She had gotten what she needed and had performed the ritual. Grom was still out in the forest stomping about being the brute that he was. Annabella didn't care where he was now. She was sitting with a few female orcs and her mother. They sat together laughing. That is until she saw Grom come up with some pot. She stood and walked over to meet him. Immediately she stiffened and stared at it. When he had pulled back from the whisper he would immediately see she was shaking and she actually was crying, and she was crying hard. It was the same exact flower. He had actually went out and brought back the Vicera Macca that he had crushed. It had matured with the years. It had grown but she could see the delicate scars. It had healed back up but not to its former glory. She refused to grab the pot.

Finally she hissed out low enough for only him to hear while keeping the impression to everyone that she was just so happy,"Grom, you're such an idiot... Do you even remember? Do you even know what you just brought back? Can you even remember?! It's a Vicera Macca, it's the same Vicera Macca. Ring any bells?"

He gets a confused look on his face as he looks from the flower to the human with his eyes. He shakes his head gently, still trying to give the illusion that they were getting along and the tears were happy tears. "No, I don't know what you speak of." He says, low but bluntly, that day having been mixed in with many days that he had made her angry and mad at him and many of the other boys he sparred with. As much as he didn't want to, he reaches up attempts to wipe at a tear, but isn't surprised if she pushes him away. "If we are going to fight, let us move away from all the people, drop the niceties and fight, or just let this end." He requests.

After, he stands up straight and calmly makes his way out of the view of the village, returning to the home of his parents, ready to fight if Annabella followed, but relaxing and trying to calm himself otherwise. He sits on the roughly made chair taking a few deep breathes to re-center himself, the flower in its pot sitting on a nearby table,

When he looked confused she pinched the area between her eyes as she kept herself from just snapping. Though when she felt his hand approach she indeed did let the act drop as she smacked it away with the back of her hand and looked away from him. She couldn't look at him anymore. She followed right behind him. Anger just rolled through her. When they were out of sight of the village she stayed by the door out and glared at him for a good minute or so. Then she said,"You are such an ass! Really?! Let me clue you in on what you just presented to me. Years ago, before I got taken with the other hopefuls, that is the same flower you and that other boy crushed. Oh really, you can be do careful?... You certainly weren't careful with that flower years ago. That Vicera Macca was a rare find, you and Tor just decided to destroy it for no good reason! That has always been how you are, Grom. Picking on the weak because you can. You honestly think that just because you put it in a pot and brought it back here shows that you can be careful!"

She started to pace as she just unleashed what she had always wanted to say, not bothering really to be all that quiet either,"Years and years, you've done this. All this is, is proof to me that you're not even the least bit sorry. You're not sorry about how you were or did in the past. That is what this showed me. The only nice think you've done is that staff and lets face it, you didn't even want to do that. I have seen no proof that you've changed at all. All I see is that you can fake it real well and I bet if I wasn't the next shaman, you wouldn't even fake it. You'd still act the exact same as when we were younger."

He just stares at her as she rants at him. As she comes to an end, he glares back at her. "And how have you changed? You are still the same little girl that left so many years ago. So caught up in crying over childish things like a long since recovered flower that can't even see you are disrespecting one of the honored dead. A good orc who fought and died so that you can stand here now and cry like a little girl that has lost her favorite toy." He keeps his tone cold, his glare the same as he just stares at her. "You want an I'm sorry. Fine. I'm sorry that this flower was in our path as we rough housed as orcs do. I'm sorry that in the chaos of our training something beautiful and delicate was harmed." He grabs the pot. "I'm sorry this flower makes you so weak that you resort to disrespect. I'll do you have a favor. I'll take it somewhere so that you never have to see it again. Consider this my second lover's gift to you." He says, then easily pushes her to the side and walks back into the forest, but not in the same direction that it had originally been.

She growled and yelled as he reached the door,"That flower is not just some toy and you know very well that it wasn't in your way. You and Tor both went out of the sparing area to destroy it. That flower-. The real shame is that you're too thick headed to see the damage. The flower has healed crooked and it's no longer able to be used for anything anymore..." She went straight to her house. Her mother sighed as she walked from her waiting position beside the out on the outside. As soon as both were in the house her mother quietly said,"Tor is an honored dead... You being blinded by your pain. Can you really not see that you are being bit disrespectful?" Annabella immediately snapped back,"No. There are many words in this world but actions speak the loudest." Her mother countered with,"Speak not with anger, my child. For it is the birthing grounds for regret... " Her mother than walked into her room to turn in for the night. Leaving Annabella to calm and dwell with her thoughts.

It was very early the next morning. The high lady watched Annabella sat before a very specific grave. She walked over and sat beside the girl and observed the silent ritual. The mixture of herbs, the offerings... It was a ritual of regret toward the dead. She was saying sorry. Finally the high lady spoke,"Your mother... Told me that you are having a hard time forgiving... There was mention of a Vicera Macca that had grown back crooked?... Why hold so much because of a flower?" With a deep breath Annabella admitted,"Nothing but-... It just brought back so much pain. I lashed out." The high lady rose and eyebrow. Pain? Yet she turned back and nodded. They sat in silence for a good couple of hours. Her eyes laid upon the staff and said,"You know you're in the wrong here..."

"Yeah."

"Did you leave-?"

Annabella nodded. She had indeed left a gift by his home's door to say she was sorry. Then the high lady said,"Forgiveness is bitter, but it is something we must do in order to shed our wounds of the past... Understand?" Again the girl nodded. They spent the entire day out of the village. The morning was spent honoring the dead. Then they disappeared somewhere in the woods. It was very late at night when both finally came back. The week that followed, Annabella avoided him and spent most of her days in the shaman's hut with her training and her free time hidden away somewhere. Making it impossible for anyone to have a moment alone with her. At first the Shaman thought it would be good. Give them both space to heal from the disaster their lover's day turned out to be. Now she was frustrated with it. They were all in the great hall. Annabella and herself present as training. The shaman was an advisor to the chief. Their sights saw through the haze and read the omens. The spirits talked to them, and it aided the chief in making a decision. The last of the issues were dealt with and she looked to Annabella. She knew that in order for the two to be able to work in harmony, the clashing and fighting had to happen. It was the same with her husband. The two fought often in their youth but eventually after everything they found their harmony.

So she turned to stare ahead as she said out loud,"I think our choices should take a tip together to relax. What do you think, my dear?" She then smiled to her husband. She needed to get her choice to stop avoiding and just work out her emotions and thoughts. The girl was conflicted and avoiding Grom was not going to work to help her.

Grom ignores the insults as he makes his way out into the forest and the farther out, not coming back for a two days. Grom's mother takes the gift and sets it in Grom's room while he is away. After his returns, things in the village return to normal for the rest of the week as the two ignore each other and go about the last bits of their training. Grom doesn't leave Natar's side during the days, acting as advisor and guard for the chief who always kept an eye on Grom. Out of the blue one of the days where the hall was especially quiet, "You need to release your anger about Annabella." Natar says, turning to look at Grom. "The whole village heard the words she yelled at you, but I can't help but feel you had a large hand in their telling."

"Chieftain...she...we both let the past haunt us too much. She sees only my wrongdoings and I only see her contempt for them. We have let old wounds dig too deep." He admits, letting his more formal position drop. "I know that you and the Honored wife have expectations for us, but I don't know if we can pair well, the past just cuts too deep."

"Then let the future heal them." Natar says simply, turning away to signal the end of the conversation. Later that day, the honored wife with Annabella and Grom still in the hall but not looking at each other, makes her announcement. Natar smiles at the idea, scratching his chin lightly with one hand and holding the other up to keep the two young ones quiet as the adults spoke. "That is a wonderful idea my love, but where....They could visit the fertile spring. Lots of time to themselves on the way there." He says, the hot springs he was talking about being a good week round trip if they went there, grabbed proof they had been there at all and walked back.

The honored wife smiled brightly as she said,"My love, that is a perfect idea! Annabella, while you two are there, I want you to gather the Rookfall moss found there." Annabella sighed deeply as she nodded and said,"As you wish, High Lady."

The supplies and preparations were made quickly. Soon she was ready at the edge of the village. Both her mother and the honored wife were with her. Her mother double checking the sturdiness of the bed and the supplies already packed. The shaman then said,"Remember, let the past go." Her mother followed soon after as she handed the back back,"Forgive and heal."

"Try your best not to bring up the past."

"If one keeps looking behind them, they will never be able to see the dangers ahead of them."

She cringed a bit but nodded. As she spotted Grom her mother and the shaman both firmly placed a hand on her and whispered in stern voices,"Stop living in the past and get to know him for who he is now." Though Annabella's immediate thought was,'I know who he is now. He's an absolute jackass.' Though she never uttered the words. She turned and started their journey... First three hours, she didn't talk. The next hour the silence was getting on her nerves. Then the next she finally said,"This silence is going to make this journey last an eternity."

Grom just stands at perfect attention behind Natar, though his eyes start to light with an angry fire at the idea of spending so much time alone with the human. When the time comes though, he just sighs and answers with an "I would be happy to Chieftain and High Lady." After that, they were sent away to prepare for the long journey, prepare packs and settle affairs that needed settled.

Once everything was ready, Grom and Natar meet the three ladies at the village edge, the chieftain giving Grom a sword to go with the dagger he carried for protection. "We are leaving her to you now. Come back only after you have been to the spring or she gets hurt. Do not talk about the past, let the future heal the two of you. Remember that. Come to know who she is now." Natar tells Grom, who only nods in reply.

Hours later, they are walking, and Annabella breaks the silence. "Well, what do you have to talk about?" He asks, and starts to come up with ideas of possible talking points that wouldn't get them hot headed.

She struggled for anything. All she knew was that this silence was murder on her. Finally she said,"I don't know. Anything. I just can't take this silence anymore... How are you're parents doing? Anything..." She never was one that liked being in a quiet room. Even more so with this horrible tension between them. Besides, if they came back and hadn't at least tried to talk, then she knew that the shaman would not be happy with her. More then anything, she just really hated the prospect of a long journey while not talking.

Back
Top Bottom