Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Creating an Heir - (Chey Luik & DaveTheHuman)

Chey Luik

Planetoid
The castle had been busy since it had leaked out about the needed heir. There were crowds of differ people arriving each day. Mostly women to apply for the position to be the one to provide the king and heir. Ellinor was cleaning the king's chambers while he was with his advisors. She felt sorry for her childhood friend as it was sad the way he lost his lovely wife before they had a real chance for happiness. She pondered on how he really felt about his current situation. How she would love to hear him laugh again as he use to when he was a boy. She made his bed, her slender fingers lingering on the silken overly. Anyone would be lucky to be with him, she thought.

Ellinor scrubbed the marble floor in his room until it glistened, emptying his chamber pot into the bucket after she had finished, leaning out the window and tossing it out. She scurried back to place the empty pot where it belonged. 'No, I would never be suited for him.' she thought as she closed the door on the wooden cabinet.

In her heart, she longed for the relationship that they once had. He had given her fond memories the greatest being her first pre-teen kiss. Did he ever thing of their childhood, she wondered. Ellinor shook her head, running her fingers through her long blonde hair as she tried to get the past images out of her mind. She was too far beneath his class for him, although, many other maids were applying. There were too many other women in the kingdom much more suited for his class. She finished her cleaning of his chamber and place a vase of wild flowers on the table to bright up his room. The sunlight from the window shone brightly upon them.

She started to leave the room when the door swung open, knocking her to the floor as it did. Ellinor gazed upward at him with her piercing green eyes, stunned for a moment as she had not really looked at him that closely in years. It felt like time stood still at that very moment.

As he walked, the king's body may have been in the palace halls, but his mind was not. Ever since the crown was placed on his head it had been this way. He had never expected to be king, he had two brothers older than him. King David's jaw clenched remembering back on the night of his coronation. It was mere hours after his family was murdered. The assassins tore through the palace in every manner of death they could dispense... but he survived. Some say the gods showed him mercy, but he did not agree. Instead he felt like they had given him to them darkest and deepest part of hell. So many loved ones dead, along with his wife who he watched die in his arms. The war that followed was swift and brutal but it did not bring him peace, even after the resounding victory. The days continued to linger on with memories of pain and the heavy weight of kingship on his shoulders. But somehow he still continued on.

However there was one thing war brought him, and that was an even greater sense of mortality. Countless times he stood inches and seconds from death, reminding him that any one of those could plummet his kingdom into civil war. He needed an heir but he could not bring himself to even consider the idea of loving another woman. The thought made all the memories of her rush into him as a cruel reminder of what could never be.

As the king walked through the halls, his fists clenched. He could not express sadness anymore after that night. Sadness seemed like a drop of rain in the ocean compared to his feelings that night. So instead anger became his emotional depth. But as king he had learned to suppress that as best he could.

With his gained sense of mortality he knew he needed an heir. One mention in a royal advisors meeting and women came flooding into the royal city. To prevent chaos, a system was put into place. The royal midwife and two of his advisors would select twenty women and then he would choose one of them. David did not wish it to be this way, but it was inescapable. The fact it had gotten so out of hand made him angry inside. He wished this to be simple and discrete but it was far past that now.

Reaching his room, his frustration became difficult to contain the frustrations and anger that crawled beneath his skin so he shoved the heavy oak door with both hands. His eyes widened realizing he had hit someone. Stepping through, he saw a familiar face and an old friend "... Ellinor? Damn it I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone would be behind my door." He reached down and helped her up. "Are you hurt?" He looked into her green eyes not seeing pain but knowing he should ask anyways.

Memories came back to him of them long ago. Such a good friend before their lives got pulled in different directions by their stations. It was a shame, but he was glad to see her now. He had seen her many times before in the palace but his mind was always elsewhere since that night.

Ellinor's cheeks were a bright crimson as she looked up at him, it was the first time in years that that had spoken or been that close to each other and here she was right on her bum. She almost laugh as she recalled the last time she had landed on her bottom from him. She felt funny as she gave him her hand, trembling as he touched her. “No, I am not hurt, Dav... Your Majasty.” she felt a bit awkward as she wanted it to be like it was so many years ago. She tried not to stare into his eyes but could not help it. She tried to make a joke out of the situation. “At least, I am not as hurt as the last time you made me land on my bum.” It was just the two of them in the room, maybe he would not mind her being his friend like this when no one was around.

She longed to hear his laugh and see him smile as he had not done much of that as of late. “You finally have me in your bedchamber.” she said jokingly as the memory of when he gave her that first kiss reminded her what he had said. She stood so close to him and he had not let go of her hand yet. Ellinor's green eyes tried to read him, wondering if they were having the same thoughts of their childhood.

Ellinor broke the silence once more as she was nervous being so close to him. “I hear you shall be having an heir someday. There are so many for you to chose from. I hope you find someone worthy of that.” She wanted him happy again. She knew he wasn't looking for a companion but just someone to give him an heir. Her thoughts at that moment made her tinge in her belly, I wish I could make him happy and give him what he needed.

He smiled at her joke about the last time she fell on her bottom. They had both been climbing a tree out in the fields beyond the palace. David was on a branch higher up then her which ended up snapping. Unfortunately she was below him and ended up being knocked off by him. He felt terrible about it but luckily the branch she fell from wasn't too high or else she could have been seriously injured from the impact.

Back when they were younger they were quite close. He had the usual noble friends who would visit the palace for a month or two at a time from their provinces, but she was always here. That availability among other things is what helped their friendship grow so well. However their friendship changed as the prince grew. It culminated in his first kiss when they were preteens but was quickly shunned by his father. His father's words stung terribly and it took a long time for David to suppress his feelings for his wet nurse's daughter. So when he heard her quip about getting her in his chambers, he did not know quite to say. He wasn't offended in any manner but it reminded him of an area of his life that was never fully resolved.

David was thankful when she changed the subject even though the topic was another unresolved one. He nodded "Hopefully soon, yes. There are indeed many great women trying for it." And then the king said something he only planned on keeping in his thoughts, but the words came out "Why aren't you going through the process?" His insides froze after the words left his mouth but he slowly warmed up to them as he toyed with the idea. She came from a large family, he trusted her, she was not a noble seeking to establish a new royal family, and she wasn't married. It stunned the king how there were even married women seeking to have his heir.

It was good to see him smile, Ellinor knew that he had not done much of that as of late. The king didn't seem to mind her speaking to him casually, she was thankful for that he had never treated her badly. She knew when it was time that they could not be playmates anymore it was beyond his control. Although she missed him terribly she never resented him or what had happen between them. She had always cherished his friendship and still would.

Ellinor listened to him as he told her about the many different women trying for the position. She gasped when he said that even married women were applying. “Surely, one of them would not be of your choosing.” She knew how truthful he was to his late wife so surely he would be appalled by such. When the king brought up about why she had not applied. Ellinor didn't know what to say, her cheeks redden. “I really don't think your advisors would pick someone like me, your Majesty.” She would have loved to have giving him an heir but she had no idea if she would be approve and get hurt all over again and would not want to spoil what she might have just regained. “I am sure there will be one much better qualified.” she said to him but she thought if he asked she would apply as she would do anything for him.

She bent down to pick up her cleaning supplies before he would have the chance to do just that. “You know where to find me if you ever need an ear. I will always be here for you. Besides I am always here in your chamber. I must be going as I have more rooms to clean.” She headed towards the door, just before she opened it. “Just try not to knock me on my bum again.” she gave him a wink as she reached to pull the door open.

Hearing her speak of the other women, David felt she was being modest. Sure many of the other women were of noble and even royal birth, but he saw that as a dissuading factor. If he was to choose a noble or royal to have his heir, he would be forever wondering if her family was looking to gain political control. Whereas a family of common birth may have ambition, but not to such menacing extremes. But the king did not press Ellinor. She did not wish to apply and he would certainly never force a woman to so. He was just happy to have some time to speak with her.

Saying their goodbyes, he smiled at her final joke. He told himself he'd take her up on that offer. David felt like he needed to spend a little less time being a king. He knew his crown was weighing heavily on his soul and the short time he spent with his old friend seemed to lessen that.

After setting down his crown in his chambers, the king left and went downstairs to the small hall. Inside was the midwife and two trusted advisors. They were discussing some of the candidates before they heard his footsteps. Once noticed, they stood and bowed "Your majesty, we are continuing to narrow the list and have found several good candidates. One in particular has caught all of our attention. Would you care to meet her?" The advisor speaking was named James. He was an older man who had served his father for a very long time.

David hesitantly replied "Yes, I'd like to meet her." After sitting and talking for a while about the progress, the woman came into the small hall and bowed. As he looked at her, the king could feel his throat going dry. James said "Your majesty, let me introduce Margaret Hensfield. She is from the northern reached of the kingdom where her family owns several large farmlands."

The king looked at her soft brown hair which came down just below her shoulders, her blue eyes, red lips, and fair skin. Her body was shaped like an hourglass and everything about her was lovely. Yet the king could feel his heart beating with nerves. She looked so much like her. Her body seemed nearly identical and her face... as if she was a sister to her. Memories began to plague him, things he wished to forget. But the resemblance was too much. So David struggled to regain his composure as he replied "... Good to meet you... Margaret."

The midwife eyed the king closely. She knew it was a risk picking Margaret. They all had wondered if picking a woman so similar to his wife was a good idea. The kings reaction showed it clearly was not even though he fought to hide it.

Ellinor was both happy and sad as she parted company with him but she had to finish her daily task. She hoped that she would see him more now that he knew she was his chamber maid. The thought of perhaps seeing him everyday made her look forward to the next day. She hummed cheerfully that afternoon as she worked until all of her tasks were done.

She enjoyed the sun shining down upon her face as she strolled to their cottage on the estate, picking wild-flowers to take to her mother. The king had always taken good care of her mother and her. They were lucky that her mother had been the king's wet nurse when her father had passed they had been given a quaint little cottage where they could have a garden and live comfortably. She was the youngest of eight and remained living with her mother. Ellinor was dancing as she walked, her day was a bit brighter as she recalled his smile. Her mind was still up in the clouds when she got to the cottage door.

Ellinor called out to her mother, “Its a lovely day isn't it, mama” Hilde had been preparing their evening meal when her daughter arrive, looking up from her baking table as she was rolling out dough for biscuits that they would have with their stew. “What has you all cheery today, my dear?”
Ellinor picked up a vase that was on the mantle, she poured some water into it from the bucket on the cabinet, placing the wild-flowers in the vase before setting it on their dinner table.

She walked over to her mother and placed a kiss upon her cheek. “I saw David today and we had a lovely chat, mama.” She glanced at her mother, still as pretty now as she was in her youth. Her long blonde hair was now streaked with gray but pulled up tightly into a bun on the top of her head, wearing her apron over her black dress. “You have heard, mama, that the king is looking for someone to have his heir. You would not believe what he said to me.” She thought how he asked why she was not going through the process. She thought that perhaps he wanted her to.

Ellinor went to the stew pot that was bubbling over the small fire, lifting the lid and giving it a stir. She was famished. The stew was filled with onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, cabbage and rutabaga. The meat looked like venison. They usually got meat from the king's hunters each week.
Her mother asked about what the king had said to her. “Now, dear, I would not read too much into it. You know David was always a nice boy but he has his position.” Hilde did not want to see Ellinor pine after him again.

For the brief time Margaret was in the small hall, David tried to regain his composure and be welcoming. After all, it wasn't her fault that she bore such a close resemblance to his late wife. If fault was to be given it would be for the three who selected her. The king only hoped that their intentions, although misguided, were good.

When the woman left, the king stood. He did not have the stomach to spend anymore time participating in this process. Looking at his advisors and the midwife he said "I understand what you three did there and I don't want it to happen again." With that, he left. Margaret seemed like a kind woman but her resemblance to his wife was too much to overlook. The king could not have her without having his thoughts tortured whenever he looked at her.

For what was left of the day, the King was in a meeting about the recent war with Brumeo. It seemed the royal family they put in power was cooperating with the peaceful terms however reconstruction of their kingdom was proving more costly than expected. David wished it wasn't so, but as long as they were peaceful he had little issue with extending the due dates of their debt. When his family was murdered and the culprits were found to be assassins from Brumeo and hired by the previous royal family, nothing could save them from David's army. He spent only a year warring in the neighboring kingdom but it was one with great devastation. The focal points were on the assassin's guild to the north and their capital city. Both held out as long as they could but the tactic of starvation and contaminated waters would break anyone within walls. After that even the most skilled of assassins was wiped out by his army and the city was set ablaze.

When he finished the meeting and headed to his chambers before dinner, his hand lingered on the bedsheets. There was something greatly missing within him and the void needed to be filled. Calling in a servant he said "Go to my chambermaid Ellinor and ask her if she would like to spend the day with me tomorrow... ask." The servant bowed and headed out.

Friends were hard to come by when so much power was to be gained, but he felt Ellinor was the same woman he knew many years ago. He hoped her friendship would bring her some measure of peace.

The hearth's warm glow filled the main room of the cottage. Ellinor loved how the flames flickered and danced as if the room was filled with music. She went to the hearth to check on the biscuits that her mother had put in. They looked perfect and the smell filled the air that would lure anyone in. She love the smell of anything freshly baked. She put the hot biscuit into a clean towel and set them in the bread basket. She put a slab of freshly churned butter on a plate and took the items to their table. She poured some of the venison stew into two bowls and called her mother inside from the garden.

The ladies were just about to sit down to eat when there was a rap on the door. “Foods on the table and of course someone shows up.” Hilde said as she went to answer it. She was taken back when she saw the king's servant. “Well, pipe up what message do you have?” Ellinor waited as the servant seem to be hesitant to say. “Miss, the king wants to know if you would like to spend the day with him tomorrow.” Ellinor smiled as she was happy. “See mother, he still wants his old friend.”

“Please tell his Majesty that I would love to spend the day with him after I have done my morning duties.” She paused. “Make sure you tell him that I must do my work first.” The servant replied “yes, miss” Hilde closed the cottage door as the servant left. “You must dress nicely, dear if you will be out with his Majesty.” Ellinor promptly stated “I have a simple gown I can wear and still look favourable to be out with him, mamma.”

The stew and warm biscuits filled their needs, soon Hilde had laid down on her bed and was asleep. Ellinor took out her gown, making sure it still fitted nicely. She didn't know why she was making such a fuss on what to wear but he was the king so she needed to look nice. She straighten up the cottage and washed the bowls in a bucket, tossing the water out behind the cottage. She looked up at the evening sky, watching the stars dance in the moonlight.

When the servant returned and David heard her reply he was very happy she accepted. However, he found it strange she insisted on finishing her work beforehand. There were certainly other maids who could take care of his chambers, but if she really wanted to do it he wouldn't argue.

The King attended dinner in the great hall with the usual lords and nobles along with a few who were visiting from the various reaches of the kingdom. Usually during these dinners he would think of how dim the hall looked without his family and wife, but tonight he had a distraction. David was busy thinking of spending time with Ellinor tomorrow. It had been a long time since they'd wandered together and a long time since he had a friend to simply spend time with. Sure lords and nobles were always happy to pass the time with him, but it seemed there was always an ulterior motive, something business related. Tonight at the dinner, the ulterior motive was blatantly clear. Several of the families had daughters who were hoping to be selected to have his heir. And there was undoubtedly a lot of boasting about them. But the kings mood could not be swayed tonight. After the meal was finished the king lingered there for a short while before returning to his chambers.

The next morning, the king slept in a bit. He was sure to cancel everything to clear the day for him and Ellinor. When he woke up, he change and headed down for breakfast. He didn't know how long it took Ellinor to finish her duties, so he decided to let her come to him when she was ready. Thoughts filled his head of what to do. Perhaps a horse ride or walk through the forest would be enjoyable. The king considered a walk through the town but things had become crazy out there since the heir announcement. He didn't want to stir anything up.

Ellinor tried not to be excited about the day but when she had to get up she had not slept well. Her excitement and nerves had bothered her sleep. She pushed herself out of bed. Thankfully her mother had gotten up and made them both a bit of breakfast. They chatted about her day and her mother said that she would be there to help her dress when she was done doing her morning tasks.

The sun had risen fully when she had arrived to start her tasks. Ellinor had the royal family chambers so she maintained the other rooms, keeping them dusted since they were not used lately. The only room that had to be done fully was the king's room. She made her way down the corridor with her supplies. She placed her mop and bucket just inside the door. This time it felt differently. She was cleaning her friend's room.

Ellinor had forgotten to pick some fresh wild-flowers along the way but the ones she put in the vase yesterday still looked nice. She wiped down the furniture, picture frames and mirror before she moved to the bed. She smoothed out the bedlinen with her hands, lifting and pulling up the quilts and arranged the pillows upon his bed. She began a the far side of the room, mopping the floor and making her way to the cabinet and emptying the chamberpot, making sure that she had done everything and not neglected anything that needed to be done. She slung the contains out the large window. She hurried down and out to their cottage.

Her mother had made sure that the gown she would wear looked wrinkle free. There was a bucket of fresh water from the well, Ellinor striped down to her undergarment, washing herself up as she hummed, patting herself dry as her mother helped her into her gown, fastening it for her and then brushing out her long blonde hair. The blue and gold of the gown set off her hair and her blue-green eyes.

She took a deep breath before she stepped out of the cottage door, making her way to the king's quarters where she would find his servant to let him know that she was ready and awaiting his company. She decided to have him meet her just out in a small courtyard that was a bit secluded where they had played when they were young as she walked and waited a lot of old memories flooded her thoughts. She could almost hear their laughter and see him chasing her through the small field. They were memories that she greatly cherished and never wanted to lose.

The sounds in the courtyard were enchanting as she listened to the birds chirping on this lovely day. She started daydreaming about what they would do together and she hoped that there would be many more days that they would have together as friends once again for she adored his company.

After a while, the king arrived in the courtyard. When he saw Ellinor he smiled and commented "Blue and gold suit you." The courtyard they stood in was painstakingly cared for. Servants could work their entire careers on the plot of land if they chose, and it truly showed. Trees, shrubs, and flowers were carefully trimmed and water was brought in from the stream every day. It was rumored that if there was a specie of flowering plants in the kingdom that the specie was also in the royal courtyard. David believed it. There were certainly a lot of flowers and something was also in bloom.

When he got closer to his friend he said "I decided meetings could wait today so we have many options. What interests you most? A ride or a walk through the royal forest?" It felt strange having a day without duties. The king knew they didn't simply disappear but it was nice to simply have time to relax. And what better way than to spend time with a friend. David hoped their friendship still held strong, and from the way he felt he was certain it did.

He was no fool to what was probably going on in court gossip. People might be wondering if he had selected her to have his heir. It certainly made for the kind of gossip nobles enjoyed, but the king could care less. She had not entered the selection process and regardless, he wanted to rebuild their friendship. It was true he had strong feelings for her when they were preteens, but that was so long ago. There would always be that twinge of feeling in him if sparked properly, but right now he just needed the distraction of friendship. Besides, after yesterday the selection process had taken a heavy toll on him.

It was good to see David smile, she hoped that he would do it more like he use to but she could still see that there were things weighing heavy on his mind. “Why thank you, Dav..Your Majesty.” Ellinor still wanted to call him by his name like she when they were children but she knew it wasn't proper especially if there was a chance someone might hear them. She wanted to embrace him and let him know she was there for him if he needed her. Ellinor did a small curtsy as David got closer. She tried not to stare at him too much but he had turned into quite a handsome man that any woman would.

Delighted that David was giving her the choice on what they would do. “If you do not mind, Your Majesty. I'd love to walk through the forest as it has been along time since we have been able to talk.” She truly wanted to know him again as it had been years and people do change though he still made her heart flutter. “I want to know you again. I mean that is if you want to talk.” her face was flushed. “Maybe we could ride after and see if I can still ride as I have not ridden since we were young.”

Ellinor did not want to bring up the selection process and ask if it was going well or not as she felt it was bothersome to him. She so wanted to grab his hand and run out to the woods as they did so long ago. “I wonder if my tree is still there and if it is as tall as I remember.” She laughed as they walked towards the thicket. “You know my mother would love to see you someday if you ever have the time. She is always going on about her little prince.” Ellinor smiled at him, hearing a chirp from a frog. She said. “Wonder if we can still catch them.”

She lifted the front of her gown up a wee bit with her slender fingers as she moved off the path, squatting down to see if she could, glancing back up at David, her green eyes sparkled in the forest light, hoping that he would join her.

"A walk in the woods sounds good." The king smiled and then said "David... if we are alone." The young king knew the importance of titles but in informal situations like this it just becomes cumbersome. As they headed toward the forest, he nodded "That is why I invited you here today. I didn't want our strong friendship to fade away with time. And I very much need an excuse to cancel meetings and duties."

Reaching the forest, the heat of the sun quickly dissipated beneath the dense canopy. It felt very comfortable and the trail was well cared for making the walk simple and relaxing. He knew her tree was on the path they were taking, knowing they'd undoubtedly see it. "I will have to visit your mother some time. It seems the only time I see her is during holiday feasts." He remembered back to having her as his wet nurse. It was so long ago it felt like a lifetime. The years had certainly moved slowly.

He followed her off the path to a slow moving river they used to play in as kids. The chirping of frogs increased and a few even jumped into the safety of the water as they approached. David always remembered enjoying swimming in the water after catching frogs. They would never keep them, but it was still fun to capture the speedy little creatures.

He crouched down with her and looked around. At first he figured they had all hopped away, but then he spotted the greenish-gold eyes of one that was overly confident in it's camouflage. Positioning his hands, David got ready and darted his hands to form a seal over it. He laughed feeling it jump against his palms before he picked it up and made a cage with his fingers. "I guess we caught so many so often that the skill is still with me." After looking at the struggling frog, he set it down. The little green creature quickly jumped into the river and disappeared.

David leaned over the edge of the bank and saw his reflection was distorted from the current. The water was relatively clear beneath and he could even see a crayfish skittering away. Turning to Ellinor he said "It's been a long time since I've been in the forest. Everything is so calm in here."

The forest was cooler but warm enough to make her yearn for they younger days when they would just jump into the river and swim together. Ellinor believed that the walk was good for them both as she looked at David's face he seem more relaxed. She gasped as he caught one, hearing his laugh, made her heart burst with joy. “You have always been much better than I at catching them.” She admired the frog threw his fingers before he set it down and it scampered off into the water. “David, you owe me a frog since you let that one go before I could kiss it.” she teased him. “As I have yet to meet my prince that will take me away.”

She sat down beside him, without saying a word she slipped off her shoes and pulled off her stockings, hiking up her skirt to her slender shapely thighs, her delicate skin was nearly milky white. Ellinor dangled her feet into the water. She encouraged him to do the same. “Since it has been so long, I suggest we walk out here at least once a week.” Ellinor knew that it would probably be impossible as he would meet and be busy with the woman that will give him an heir before too long. She was going to cherish the time that they would spend together until then.

She reached out to touch his face, caressing his cheek as he looked at her“Please try not to be so worrisome, David, things will work out for you as you are a good man.” She splashed a bit of water in his direction in hopes to make him laugh again. “I have really missed spending our days together.” She quickly asked him. “Do you think that sometime we could come out here and swim together?” She would have striped down to her undergarments if it would not been inappropriate and swam right then and there with him.

Ellinor leaned back on the river bank, keeping her feet in the water. She gazed up into the trees, just laying there near him made her feel that they were still close as they once were. “Next time, I will bring a food basket so we can have our lunch here together.” She turned her face towards him, her green eyes meeting his, as she laid upon the cool ground.

The king smiled at her fairy tale reference about kissing frogs so he teased "I think instead of getting a prince you'll get warts." He soon after removed his boots and hiked up his pants to dip his feet into the flowing water. It felt nice sitting on the bank beneath the shade with her. It was relaxation that he very much needed. For once he wasn't thinking of his late wife, Katherine, or his family. He was in the woods with a friend and that's all that was on his mind.

When she told him not to be so worrisome, he smiled again and said "Right now, I am not. It's good to be away from things and with you, Ellinor." David then felt the water splash his thighs and he said "Swimming out here would be fun. We will have to come again and remember to bring towels."

While she laid down, he remained sitting taking in the sights and sounds of the forest floor. The animals were well hidden but you could easily hear the sounds of bird and frogs as well as leaves rustling from the slight breeze. It was very peaceful and soothing for his sad and angry soul. The king slowly kicked his feet in the water, feeling the river bottom beginning to stir up. He watched the surface of the water just barely rush over the top of a smooth rock.

Turning to her he asked "How is your family? I know your mother still lives on the royal grounds but what of your siblings?" It had been a very long time since he had seen them. He was never really close with any besides Ellinor but on occasion they would still play when they were younger.

She watched him as he spoke to her, Ellinor's eyes lighting up when he said that they would have to come again and laughed when he mention bringing some towels. “When we were young we never needed them.” She playfully splashed water towards him with her feet. It was good to see him relaxing here with her. It was a good choice she had made to walk out here with him.

Ellinor sat up next to him, “Everyone is doing quite well. They have all found husbands and wives. I have decided that I will stay and watch over my mother since my father passed-away and I have not met anyone that has sparked my interest.” She thought if I had met someone like David perhaps I too would have been married by now. She went on talking about a few of her sisters already have 3 and 4 children each. “Maybe someday I will have a few if the right person comes along but for now I am content here.” She patted his hand as she knew he would always take care of her mother but she just could not leave as this was her home. She felt bad knowing that he needed an heir after speaking about her family already each have quite a few. “They do try to travel home at times to visit at least they are still within the kingdom.” She was glad that all four of her brothers had made it back from the fighting in the king's army.

She noticed some of the wild-flowers growing on the other side of the river and how the colours blended in so well, wishing that she had a sketch pad with her. She must bring one next time. Perhaps she could sketch him, she thought deeply as she admired his face and strong jawline. One had to admit, David, was a very attractive man. Ellinor nearly got lost in her daydreaming, when she heard something rustling in the bushes, having no clue what it was or could be. She moved close to him as her eyes stared at the bushes as they moved, clinging to his arm.

Things certainly were different when they were younger. One of those was that he never expected to be king. With two older brothers he was a long way from becoming an heir. But things changed quickly.

Hearing her speak of her family it seemed they were all doing alright. He smiled when she talked about how many kids each of them had. That attribute would have fared very well with his midwife and advisors. The thought lingered in his head about her bearing his heir. He humored it for a while, remembering his embarrassing slip about asking her yesterday evening. Despite humoring the idea, she certainly came from a fertile family.

As they relaxed there he also heard the bushes moving. He turned to look but could not make anything out. Feeling her cling to his arm, he tried to focus his vision but to no avail. He just hoped whatever it was it was friendly.

Ellinor kept her eyes in the bushes as a small bunny hopped out. She laughed as she released her grip on his arm. She felt a wee bit silly. She wondered if he minded that she had clung to him as she didn't think before she did. “Yes, I know I'm scared of a little bunny. You can tease me about it if you want.” She didn't mind him laughing at her if he would. “It is a bit warm.” She scooted closer to the edge of the bank trying to be careful so that she would not fall.

She got a bit bold and decided to ask him. “Do you just want one child or do you think you'll have many?” She decided to just talk freely with him. “I would love to have at least four children if I was with the right man.” she paused for a moment. “ Perhaps it would be nice to have a son first.”

She wished that he wasn't being pushed so quickly to have an heir but she also understood. She sat there just looking at him for a moment before standing up, her wet thighs glistened as the sunlight that filtered through the trees that's upon them. She held out her hand to help him up. “David, let's go find my tree.” she left her shoes and stockings behind, pulling him along towards where she thought the tree was.

“I do not remember it being so tall” She reached up trying to touch the lowest branch with her hands. “It grew or I shrank.” sighing as she turned around and leaned against the truck of the tree, her green eyes meeting his as she gazed up at him. “Shall we try to climb it?”

David smiled when they saw it was just a rabbit. Things always sound louder in the woods when you don't know what they are. He didn't tease her thought. David had a little of a clue what was behind the bush as her until it popped out.

Hearing her question he wasn't sure. David had tried to answer the question before but he couldn't. Perhaps one was the best answer then. "I'm not sure, Ellinor. It will probably be one, but who knows." He smiled at her own answer "Four seems to be the number to reach compared to your siblings. You all are getting a very large family."

David was able to slip on his boots before heading to her tree. They followed the path and soon got closer. The woods seems to have thickened up in the years since he had visited the area. But the large pine tree was still there with its many horizontal branches. It was no wonder they wanted to climb it so much when they were younger, it was fairly easy as long as you didn't put too much weight on a thin branch.

He smiled at her question about climbing the tree. "If we climb it you will go first so there's no way I can fall on you."

“Sure, I will go first.” She laughed not thinking that this time it might be her that slips and falls down and knocks him out of the tree. She liked how they simply were back to days of their youth. She thought about how they would run though the woods together and collapsing together when they could not run anymore. Ellinor snapped out of her daydream before she started to reach up into air to start her climb.

Ellinor's fingers could barely reach the bottom branch. She jumped up and got hold of it with both hands. She somehow managed to pull herself up part way on the branch but slipped a bit as she tried to swing her slender legs up so she could straddle it. The gown she was wearing didn't help much either. If David had been looking upwards under her, he would be able to see her undergarments clearly but she didn't think of that.

She was trying to reach the next branch up when she lost her footing, on her way down, Ellinor tried to catch herself on the lower branch. Her thoughts flashing back to the childhood for a moment but now here she was falling out of the same tree again. This time she was about to land on him, she would be lucky if he were to catch her in his arms or she might just land on her bum, bruising her ego and landing at his feet. She closed her eyes and prayed that she didn't get hurt. The fall seemed like it was taking forever.

Back
Top Bottom